http://gamingtrend.com
October 20, 2014, 10:01:25 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 15   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Call of Duty World at War (360) impressions  (Read 37365 times)
wonderpug
Gaming Trend Senior Member

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #80 on: November 12, 2008, 03:40:36 PM »

It doesn't make any sense, either.  Don't discourage people from taking advantage of your 4-player co-op bullet point.

On another note: Based on my performance in the co-op campaign I think if I were to enter a real-life conflict I would be best suited to the role of medic, or perhaps "Saving Private Ryan Guy that Just Carried Around All the Ammo at the End of the Movie."
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #81 on: November 12, 2008, 04:17:06 PM »

Quote from: Harkonis on November 12, 2008, 03:25:16 PM

some of it does, not as much as I'd like though.

I'm really disappointed in Zombie mode though.  Apparently you can't unlock it in coop mode.  You should NEVER have to play single player to unlock a feature for multiplayer.  I hate it when games do this.  I played through the coop campaign then found out I'll have to play through again, by myself (and bored) to unlock the coop zombie mode.  That's complete bullshit.

at last!  a game that rewards us who like to play with ourselves!

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
The Grue

You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

View Profile
« Reply #82 on: November 12, 2008, 04:42:17 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on November 12, 2008, 04:17:06 PM

I'm really disappointed in Zombie mode though.  Apparently you can't unlock it in coop mode.  You should NEVER have to play single player to unlock a feature for multiplayer.  I hate it when games do this.  I played through the coop campaign then found out I'll have to play through again, by myself (and bored) to unlock the coop zombie mode.  That's complete bullshit.

Yeah, but if you like to play by yourself, are you actually going to use it once you unlock it?

XBox Live ID: The Grue
Playstation Network Name: TheGrue
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #83 on: November 12, 2008, 04:45:08 PM »

Quote from: The Grue on November 12, 2008, 04:42:17 PM

Yeah, but if you like to play by yourself, are you actually going to use it once you unlock it?

just ruin a perfectly good double entendre whtdontcha?  crybaby

Because I can,
Jeff
Special Project Group

View Profile
« Reply #84 on: November 12, 2008, 04:48:48 PM »

Quote from: Sparhawk on November 11, 2008, 11:16:38 PM

Fuck..FUCK FUCK FUCK...

Wrath of the Lich King is being released soon and I don't think I'll have time to complete CoD4. Is it out today or tomorrow?

You definitely want to finish COD4. The ending is VERY cool.
PeteRock

Fabulous is a state of being. For me, anyways.

View Profile
« Reply #85 on: November 12, 2008, 05:01:15 PM »

Quote from: Roscoe on November 12, 2008, 04:56:00 AM

I got in another hour and a half tonight. I've leveled up to about 14, slowly approaching the magical 18 so I can use hardcore mode. Have identified a couple of more maps for a total count of eleven that I've played on and so far none are the kind of automatic "yuck" that Wetwork and Showdown were in COD4. In fact most maps are very clever with lots of ways to move and hide.

I'm still sticking with the Tommy gun and I'm getting pretty good. I've been experimenting  with the various perks and other loadouts for grenades. All pretty cool.

Oddly people have been pretty quiet in the MP games. I think folks are really trying to concentrate.

I've noticed some better spawn behavior than I saw last night. It's nice that you tend to spawn together as a group, encourages team tactics.

I'm getting good at whacking dogs. This is *much* better than having to hide from the chopper.

I haven't even fired up the SP campaign and with MP being so fun, I probably won't get to it for a while. Oh, and I'm still doing only Team Deathmatch.

It seems we will once again have an opportunity to do battle as a copy of COD5 will be finding its way to my office in the next few days.   ninja

Temple's days are numbered.   icon_twisted

Beauty is only skin deep.  Which is why I take very good care of my skin.
The Grue

You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

View Profile
« Reply #86 on: November 12, 2008, 05:23:17 PM »

Quote from: PeteRock on November 12, 2008, 05:01:15 PM

It seems we will once again have an opportunity to do battle as a copy of COD5 will be finding its way to my office in the next few days.   ninja

Weakness is very un- Fabulous

XBox Live ID: The Grue
Playstation Network Name: TheGrue
Roscoe
Gaming Trend Reader

Palin-Fey 2008!

View Profile
« Reply #87 on: November 12, 2008, 05:24:35 PM »

Only by the calendar, sunshine, only by the calendar  slywink

XBL gamertag: jztemple
kronovan

View Profile
« Reply #88 on: November 12, 2008, 05:28:44 PM »

Quote from: The Grue on November 12, 2008, 04:42:17 PM

That's a good question, is the zombie mode only online or is available for offline mplay too? If the former is true, I won't play it nearly as much.
PeteRock

View Profile
« Reply #89 on: November 12, 2008, 05:30:40 PM »

Quote from: Roscoe on November 12, 2008, 05:24:35 PM

Only by the calendar, sunshine, only by the calendar  slywink

And in that case you have lots and lots of numbered days.  Try not to break a hip in our first game together.  You don't want to make it too easy for me to gun you down.   icon_twisted
« Last Edit: November 12, 2008, 05:37:55 PM by PeteRock » Logged

wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #90 on: November 12, 2008, 05:32:44 PM »

Quote from: kronovan on November 12, 2008, 05:28:44 PM

That's a good question, is the zombie mode only online or is available for offline mplay too? If the former is true, I won't play it nearly as much.

I'm almost certain I saw somewhere that you can play that mode with bots for your teammates.
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #91 on: November 12, 2008, 05:36:25 PM »

Anyone done with this on the 360 and want to sell it yet? 
PeteRock

View Profile
« Reply #92 on: November 12, 2008, 05:40:37 PM »

Quote from: wonderpug on November 12, 2008, 05:32:44 PM

Quote from: kronovan on November 12, 2008, 05:28:44 PM

I'm almost certain I saw somewhere that you can play that mode with bots for your teammates.

Playing with bots just isn't the game.  I could play MP Gears of War all by myself with bots but that's like shooting a game of pool by myself.  Fighting off a horde of zombies is way more fun with friends rather than by youself.  If you can play with at least one other friend on the same Xbox then that's a start, and if they offer 4-player capability then that would rock.  You could play 4-player versus split-screen on the same Xbox in COD4, so I'm wondering if you can play 4-player split-screen COD5 fighting off waves of endless nazi zombies.  That would make for one hell of an interesting gaming experience.

wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #93 on: November 12, 2008, 05:45:10 PM »

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe same-system co-op is limited to two players, and you can't do split-screen and also play online multiplayer at the same time.
Isgrimnur

View Profile
« Reply #94 on: November 12, 2008, 05:48:19 PM »

Finally going to get the chance to cap the famous PeteRock in the head?   eek  'Cause I can't can't seem to unlock the Sniper Philly fans in Madden.

I knew I picked up this game for a reason! 

Hadron Smasher on 360; IsgrimnurTTU on PS3

Quote from: McBa1n
http://www.vuvuzela.fm BVVVVVVVVVVVRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR
PeteRock

View Profile
« Reply #95 on: November 12, 2008, 05:48:56 PM »

Quote from: wonderpug on November 12, 2008, 05:45:10 PM

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe same-system co-op is limited to two players, and you can't do split-screen and also play online multiplayer at the same time.

I can't yet speak about COD5, but if it is similar to COD4, I was able to play up to 4-player versus split-screen locally in our living room, but there was no co-operative play and you were only able to play online by yourself.  It would be a lot of fun to be able to take on zombies as a team rather than only being able to kill each other when playing local MP.

PeteRock

View Profile
« Reply #96 on: November 12, 2008, 05:51:53 PM »

Quote from: Isgrimnur on November 12, 2008, 05:48:19 PM

Finally going to get the chance to cap the famous PeteRock in the head?   eek  'Cause I can't can't seem to unlock the Sniper Philly fans in Madden.

Don't you have any other MP games?  I've tried to give plenty of forum members opportunities to cap me in the head in games like COD4, Gears of War, Gears of War 2, Halo 3, Rainbow Six, Ghost Recon: Advanced Warfighter, etc.  Where've you been? 

The problem is, my fabulous aura makes it difficult to get a bead on me.  Fabulous

Hiccup
Gaming Trend Reader

I have personal text.

View Profile
« Reply #97 on: November 12, 2008, 06:01:39 PM »

Split screen multiplayer over live is avalible.
Split screen multiplayer AND partying up with another person is a no go.

Just a little hiccup.
kronovan

View Profile
« Reply #98 on: November 12, 2008, 06:23:53 PM »

Quote from: PeteRock on November 12, 2008, 05:48:56 PM

Quote from: wonderpug on November 12, 2008, 05:45:10 PM

I can't yet speak about COD5, but if it is similar to COD4, I was able to play up to 4-player versus split-screen locally in our living room, but there was no co-operative play and you were only able to play online by yourself.  It would be a lot of fun to be able to take on zombies as a team rather than only being able to kill each other when playing local MP.

Yeah just about every 360 shooter that has co-op split-screen only allows 2 players. The same was true for the Xbox, with SW Battlefront II's 4 player co-op being the exception. On the other hand just about every 360 and Xbox game that supports split-screen allows 4 players for VS mode. I'm thinking the limitation is due to the extra AI in the campaign causing too many poly's to be pushed.
Isgrimnur

View Profile
« Reply #99 on: November 12, 2008, 06:31:22 PM »

Quote from: PeteRock on November 12, 2008, 05:51:53 PM

Quote from: Isgrimnur on November 12, 2008, 05:48:19 PM

Finally going to get the chance to cap the famous PeteRock in the head?   eek  'Cause I can't can't seem to unlock the Sniper Philly fans in Madden.

Don't you have any other MP games?  I've tried to give plenty of forum members opportunities to cap me in the head in games like COD4, Gears of War, Gears of War 2, Halo 3, Rainbow Six, Ghost Recon: Advanced Warfighter, etc.  Where've you been? 

The problem is, my fabulous aura makes it difficult to get a bead on me.  Fabulous

Almost picked up CoD4 for the Friday night geezer fest (or some such), but never got around to it.  Played GoW on a borrow and didn't much care for it, so I'm giving GoW2 a pass.  Never picked up Halo 3, never moved to consoles on Ghost Recon, etc.  

So more my fault than yours, certainly. 

As for the "impressions" for the thread title, the cut scenes looked good before Fuzz invited me into MP where I proceeded to assist by giving the enemy a target that ran around like Humphrey the Bear caught out by the park ranger.  Maybe by the time the year is out, I can get to a 1:1 ratio.  I miss the old days where I could manage 5:1 in Medal of Honor on the PC....   crybaby

skystride

View Profile
« Reply #100 on: November 12, 2008, 06:32:00 PM »

Probably very unlikely but I have to ask, does this game have splitscreen co-op?  If the answer is yes then this suddenly becomes a must buy.  If not, then I have to think on it a bit more because I don't think I'm ready for COD4 MOTS yet.
kronovan

View Profile
« Reply #101 on: November 12, 2008, 06:36:09 PM »

Quote from: skystride on November 12, 2008, 06:32:00 PM

Probably very unlikely but I have to ask, does this game have splitscreen co-op?  If the answer is yes then this suddenly becomes a must buy.  If not, then I have to think on it a bit more because I don't think I'm ready for COD4 MOTS yet.

Split-screen 2 player co-op.
skystride

View Profile
« Reply #102 on: November 12, 2008, 07:02:20 PM »

Quote from: kronovan on November 12, 2008, 06:36:09 PM

Sold!  Thanks.  I will buy even mediocre games if they have splitscreen co-op.

I did just google it and found some people saying splitscreen co-op doesn't save and you have to finish it single player first, is that still true?  So sort of like GRAW?
pr0ner

Go Flames go!

View Profile
« Reply #103 on: November 12, 2008, 07:29:54 PM »

Quote from: skystride on November 12, 2008, 07:02:20 PM

Quote from: kronovan on November 12, 2008, 06:36:09 PM

Sold!  Thanks.  I will buy even mediocre games if they have splitscreen co-op.

I did just google it and found some people saying splitscreen co-op doesn't save and you have to finish it single player first, is that still true?  So sort of like GRAW?

I can't verify the "doesn't save" aspect of it, but my brother said splitscreen co-op is available from the start.

XBox Live Gamertag: Pr0ner
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #104 on: November 12, 2008, 07:56:40 PM »

Even if you ignore everything else this game has to offer... the Nazi Zombie mode is worth the price of admission to me right away.

If you've ever played Last Stand (the flash game) on the web, it's pretty much 4 player of that, in 3D
PeteRock

View Profile
« Reply #105 on: November 12, 2008, 07:59:51 PM »

Quote from: Harkonis on November 12, 2008, 07:56:40 PM

Even if you ignore everything else this game has to offer... the Nazi Zombie mode is worth the price of admission to me right away.

If you've ever played Last Stand (the flash game) on the web, it's pretty much 4 player of that, in 3D

Have you unlocked it yet?  And if so, have you given it a test run?  While I hated zombie mode in Halo 3 (I'll play anything, but I'm not playing fucking zombies), after watching the zombie trailer on Xbox Live I'm actually very excited about it.  When I first heard about it I thought it was just a tacked-on mode that wouldn't get much attention, but the trailer made it seem like this is yet another fully fleshed-out gameplay mode (pun wasn't intended  ninja). 

I'm sad to say it, but just as COD4 took up a ton of my gaming time, it looks like COD5 is going to do the same. 

Roscoe
Gaming Trend Reader

Palin-Fey 2008!

View Profile
« Reply #106 on: November 13, 2008, 12:53:19 AM »

I squeezed in about 90 minutes this afternoon between work and family concerns. I told my wife that if she needs me it could be up to a ten minute delay while I finish a round. My ear is starting to get red from my ear piece. I sit at work thinking about the best Perk combination.

This game isn't just taking up my life. It *is* my life.

leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #107 on: November 13, 2008, 12:56:09 AM »

I hate you guys and the forum effect.
Caine

My cocaine

View Profile WWW
« Reply #108 on: November 13, 2008, 01:15:09 AM »

Quote from: leo8877 on November 13, 2008, 12:56:09 AM

+1.  i am leaving early to stop at tru on the way home and see if they have it early.

woot!  just got confirmation that gamefly is sending this one out to me.  my wallet thanks you, patron saint of cheap ass gaming.

in without getting kicked out of the house.  yay me!
« Last Edit: November 13, 2008, 01:24:27 AM by Caine » Logged

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #109 on: November 13, 2008, 01:49:04 AM »

about the only thing that looks really appealing is the Zombie mode, and Left 4 Dead is due next week, so GT Forum Effect FAILS!

Because I can,
Isgrimnur

View Profile
« Reply #110 on: November 13, 2008, 03:29:13 AM »

Ditto.  Made worse by "the guy at work" effect.

leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #111 on: November 13, 2008, 04:05:05 AM »

Well I saw this deal and that was it for me:

http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread

I went down and traded in Hot Shots Golf and GT Prologue and got Call of Duty for the xbox for 19.99.

Guess I'll see you guys online sooner than I thought!
Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #112 on: November 13, 2008, 04:16:55 AM »

I think this is the link you meant to post?
http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=201906

"Is there any chance your jolly Garchomp is female?" - Wonderpug
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #113 on: November 13, 2008, 04:18:56 AM »

Quote from: Teggy on November 13, 2008, 04:16:55 AM

Yeah sorry frown
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #114 on: November 13, 2008, 04:28:38 AM »

Quote from: Teggy on November 13, 2008, 04:16:55 AM

hmm... I'm thinking of buying an newer 360 with bigger a HD and HDMI, and the 2 games (LEGO Indy and Kung Fu Panda) that are being bundled with it now are on the eligible games for trade list....  I could get LBP or Mirrors Edge....

Because I can,
Roscoe
Gaming Trend Reader

Palin-Fey 2008!

View Profile
« Reply #115 on: November 13, 2008, 05:39:48 AM »

I finally leveled up to 18 and tried Hardcore. Surprisingly it wasn't as much fun as in COD4, or at least I was getting that impression. The large maps made it harder to find anyone. And of course that encourages camping. So I went back to regular mode Team Deathmatch.

kronovan

View Profile
« Reply #116 on: November 13, 2008, 08:26:05 AM »

I played the solo campaign up to the Blood & iron mission on regular difficulty tonight. For about 90% of the game to that point I probably could have played it on the next difficulty level, but there were a few brutal sections. It's a humbling experience in that it's shown me that I probably wouldn't be an effective online player with this. I mean there was a stretch where I think I was killed by grenades 4 times in the span of about 15 mintues.  Roll Eyes

So far I'm loving this every bit as much as CoD 2 and it seems just as immersive if not more. It's not the greatest story I've encountered in a FPS, but also far from the worse. I hardly recognized the voice of Kiefer Sutherland, but I definitely recognized Gary Oldam and think he did a great job in his role as a Russian. This game certainly doesn't hold back many punches in it's attempt to depict the war the way it really was. I've been surprised at how brutal and graphical it is a times, especially some of the real footage. My nephew begged me to get this instead of GoW2 because he felt the latest Gears was too gory. Well....no way in Hell I'm going to play the co-op campaign for this with him without setting the Graphic Content option to Restricted.

A question I have to anyone who's far into the game:
On the main menu when I access Cooperative > Split-Screen > Settings > Game Modes, there's 2 game modes listed - 'Campaign Co-op' and 'Locked'. Does anyone know what the locked co-op mode is?
« Last Edit: November 13, 2008, 08:44:07 AM by kronovan » Logged
Hiccup
Gaming Trend Reader

I have personal text.

View Profile
« Reply #117 on: November 13, 2008, 01:16:42 PM »

Quote from: kronovan on November 13, 2008, 08:26:05 AM

A question I have to anyone who's far into the game:
On the main menu when I access Cooperative > Split-Screen > Settings > Game Modes, there's 2 game modes listed - 'Campaign Co-op' and 'Locked'. Does anyone know what the locked co-op mode is?

That would be Zombie mode.  Hearing it's very fun.

Just a little hiccup.
msteelers

View Profile
« Reply #118 on: November 13, 2008, 01:48:16 PM »

Quote from: Harkonis on November 12, 2008, 07:56:40 PM

After playing a couple of games with you guys last night I definitely agree. I have almost no interest with the single player campaign, but I'm going to tear through it just to unlock the zombie mode.

Tune in to hear me spout nonsense about Fantasy Football every Thursday evening at 6:08.
Roscoe
Gaming Trend Reader

Palin-Fey 2008!

View Profile
« Reply #119 on: November 13, 2008, 01:52:32 PM »

I unlocked the bipod for the Russian LMG last night. Is it me or is it pretty worthless? You have to go prone to use it, it takes several seconds to deploy, *and* your covered arc is reduced. And it's the only unlock for accumulated kills on the gun (I don't know what completing the head shot challenge would give me).

I started using the Garand in regular (non-Hardcore) mode. It's tougher to get kills if you are running and gunning, but it's ok if you can crouch and aim. I'm looking forward to getting an optical aperture (is that the right name?) sight for it like I have for my tommy gun.

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 15   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: