http://gamingtrend.com
December 22, 2014, 03:05:44 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2  (Read 14153 times)
YellowKing
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: October 05, 2009, 07:25:22 PM »

Why am I not surprised? Activision has been screwing CoD players over on the PC for years now. Goddammit.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: October 05, 2009, 08:08:37 PM »

Quote from: YellowKing on October 05, 2009, 07:25:22 PM

Why am I not surprised? Activision has been screwing CoD players over on the PC for years now. Goddammit.

really?  How so?  Things seem to have been ok, we get the map packs for free and punkbuster seems to do a good job at catching cheaters a lot quicker than the console version gets fixed.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
YellowKing

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: October 06, 2009, 12:27:05 PM »

We get the map packs for free, but six months after the console version. And we didn't even get Call of Duty 3 at all.

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: October 06, 2009, 02:11:56 PM »

Quote from: YellowKing on October 06, 2009, 12:27:05 PM

We get the map packs for free, but six months after the console version. And we didn't even get Call of Duty 3 at all.

I can deal with a delay for the free maps (and it's hasn't been that bad of a delay for the World at War map packs, if it was 6 months later we'd still be waiting on map pack 2), and trust me, no Call of Duty 3 isn't a big loss.  it is the worst CoD game so far IMO.

Because I can,
Caine

My cocaine

View Profile WWW
« Reply #44 on: October 06, 2009, 05:36:20 PM »

yeah, you didn't miss a thing with cod3.  treyarch's initial foray into a full game fell on it's ass, which makes it pretty surprising considering how much better cod w@w was. 

what gets me about the delay is this, it's supposedly due to piracy issues, as they are probably trying to make it that much harder for them to play it, but in the end, all it does it delay the start of cracking season by two weeks as you know they'll get it eventually.  so, why bother making it much harder than usual if all it does it delay them by a week? 

Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: October 06, 2009, 05:49:23 PM »

The battling on U.S. soil stuff makes me think a little bit about Freedom Fighters (though that was set in New York City rather than D.C.) or even the UK-developed RTS Act of War: Direct Action (which has U.S. forces battling terrorists in various U.S. locations, including D.C. and Houston).

Although I bought COD:MW on PC, and will probably get this (maybe this time via Steam), I still think I had more fun with the original WWII-set Call of Duty, no matter how linear it was. I just think when a dev team goes out on its own for the first time (the MOHAA leads all defecting from dev 2015), and their future livelihoods depend on what they make, there's just a different feel. Infinity Ward at this point is a sleek sequel assembly line, an awesome one no doubt, but it's just different.

But that doesn't mean I'm not eager to see how this turns out.  icon_smile

Playing
PC
-Wasteland 2 (post-apoc, turn-based squad strategy/RPG )
-Grim Dawn
-Gauntlet (4 player co-op dungeon arcade brawling)
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: October 06, 2009, 06:02:59 PM »

I wonder if they're hoping to make more PC players double dip by making us wait and thinking we won't hold out.  I think I'll be skipping the 360 version now, just in case.

Because I can,
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: October 16, 2009, 01:49:14 AM »

spec ops preview.  I love the part whre he beans the guy with the grenade that was thrown at him[/url].

Because I can,
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: October 16, 2009, 10:33:57 AM »

You can play with us on the 360 if you want CK, we probably won't be playing Hardcore so you don't have to worry about shooting us all the time like W@W slywink
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: October 16, 2009, 02:21:02 PM »

Quote from: Harkonis on October 16, 2009, 10:33:57 AM

You can play with us on the 360 if you want CK, we probably won't be playing Hardcore so you don't have to worry about shooting us all the time like W@W slywink

the funny thing is that I actually liked shooting my teammates hardcore mode in CoD4; it made my spray and pray more effective  Tongue

Because I can,
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: October 16, 2009, 06:28:46 PM »

I hope this spec-ops Co-op stuff (mission-based cooperative play of parts that make sense for co-op, just not the entire campaign, is what they seem to say) makes it into the PC version.

Playing
PC
-Wasteland 2 (post-apoc, turn-based squad strategy/RPG )
-Grim Dawn
-Gauntlet (4 player co-op dungeon arcade brawling)
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #51 on: October 18, 2009, 02:01:36 PM »

Apparently PC users are getting a gimped version of the game (at least according to this site):

According to the latest BASHandSlash recorded webcast (skip to the 1hour, 39minute mark for MW2), a number of very interesting bits of information have started to make their way onto the internet.

Robert Bowling has confirmed that the PC version of Call of Duty is essentially ruined as far as multiplayer and customization goes. Let’s get a quick rundown here of what Bowling said on the webcast.

• IW has control of the game
    • IWnet servers will host multiplayer
    • DLC will be a charged item for PC
    • No dedicated servers <– WTF?
    • Matchmaking system used to play with similarly ranked players
    • VAC instead of PB
    • Semi-capable password servers
    • Semi-capable ad-hoc servers
    • Competitive play is dead <– good job IW, idiots.
    • MW2 mods would not be possible
    • Full integration into Steam

I dunno. Sounds exactly like a console port and nothing else. Anyone surprised (especially after the mess that Operation Flashpoint 2 launched as on the PC)?

EDIT: And I found this excellent point from a random post:

I don't think you comprehend what will happen. People are not going to be interested in this game for multiplayer, lack of dedicated servers will ensure that. If people are not interested in multiplayer then what incentive do they have to purchase it, they can simply pirate it for the single player campaign....finish it, delete it and carry on playing COD4 and COD5 online.

I will bet you that because of this bone headed plan COD6 will beat spore's record as being the most pirated game in history.

Any thoughts from the PC crowd?
« Last Edit: October 18, 2009, 02:09:06 PM by Destructor » Logged

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #52 on: October 18, 2009, 03:41:21 PM »

I think it's just whining from a bunch of hardcore multiplayer people who think every other COD-player on Earth plays the game for exactly the same reasons as them.
godhugh

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: October 18, 2009, 03:56:27 PM »

Quote from: TiLT on October 18, 2009, 03:41:21 PM

I think it's just whining from a bunch of hardcore multiplayer people who think every other COD-player on Earth plays the game for exactly the same reasons as them.

Pretty much. Millions of people play CoD4 multi on 360 and PS3 using a lobby system and have an absolute blast. A small segment of the PC crowd cares about dedicated servers and mods, but most just want to log in with no hassles and shoot someone.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: October 18, 2009, 07:30:11 PM »

Quote from: godhugh on October 18, 2009, 03:56:27 PM

Pretty much. Millions of people play CoD4 multi on 360 and PS3 using a lobby system and have an absolute blast. A small segment of the PC crowd cares about dedicated servers and mods, but most just want to log in with no hassles and shoot someone.

I do have to say I've found some pretty fun servers to play on using the server browser, and if they got rid of that it would ruin the chances of that happening.  if there are going to be no dedicated servers there goes the chance of finding one that allow more players than what IW deems to be the limit.

as for the DLC, meh, we've gotten a free ride on it for the last 2 games.  the popularity of charging for stuff like that can be blamed on the console players  icon_wink

oh, and this was quick.

Because I can,
disarm

my moral standing is lying down...

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: October 18, 2009, 07:58:37 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on October 18, 2009, 07:30:11 PM

awesome...very well done (except the bad grammar) icon_cool

*Gamertag - disarm78*
Now Playing: Grand Theft Auto V
vizionblind

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: October 18, 2009, 11:32:18 PM »

yup. no more dedicated servers for PC version. that blows...

http://bashandslash.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=745&Itemid=111
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: October 19, 2009, 12:29:08 AM »

Quote from: vizionblind on October 18, 2009, 11:32:18 PM

yup. no more dedicated servers for PC version. that blows...

http://bashandslash.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=745&Itemid=111

welcome to 10 hours ago..

Because I can,
vizionblind

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: October 19, 2009, 01:44:32 AM »

DICE just twittered about no dedicated servers

http://twitter.com/L_Twin/status/4964309159
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: October 19, 2009, 02:29:10 AM »

I think there are two different facets of dedicated servers here though.  The game is going to have dedicated servers, just not player controlled ones.  It mentioned servers run by IW.  Dice's twitter seems to miss this point.

I think players are upset they can't host a server with custom rules anymore, but most of the servers I've seen have pretty stupid rules anyway (like CK's patented 128 people on Shipment), so I have no problem with the move.
Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: October 19, 2009, 03:58:35 AM »

The server community is what's made us. It's what defined us.

IW.NET is getting the PC community to turn into consoles. You're trying to re-write our history.

Is this Braveheart or video games?

"Is there any chance your jolly Garchomp is female?" - Wonderpug
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: October 19, 2009, 05:00:16 AM »

Quote from: Teggy on October 19, 2009, 03:58:35 AM

The server community is what's made us. It's what defined us.

IW.NET is getting the PC community to turn into consoles. You're trying to re-write our history.

Is this Braveheart or video games?

It better be Braveheart, otherwise I dressed up in this kilt and blue facepaint for nothing.

Because I can,
Thin_J

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: October 19, 2009, 11:22:01 AM »

Quote from: Harkonis on October 19, 2009, 02:29:10 AM

I think players are upset they can't host a server with custom rules anymore, but most of the servers I've seen have pretty stupid rules anyway (like CK's patented 128 people on Shipment), so I have no problem with the move.

My favorite is finally finding a hardcore server running the map you want only to join and find out they ban you if you use the sprint key. Ever. Bullshit.

If they get rid of that garbage I might actually buy the PC version again.

Xbox Live: Thin J
PSN: Thin_J
Kossak
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile WWW
« Reply #63 on: October 19, 2009, 11:37:56 AM »

no mods? no having our own dedicated server and setting it up as we like? no free DLC? no, thank you - canceled my preorder and for now not going to buy it. I wait and see what people will think about it after realease and then i'll decide if i'm intrested or not.

Add me: Raptr: Kossak, Steam: Kossak
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: October 19, 2009, 02:19:24 PM »

Quote from: Thin_J on October 19, 2009, 11:22:01 AM

Quote from: Harkonis on October 19, 2009, 02:29:10 AM

My favorite is finally finding a hardcore server running the map you want only to join and find out they ban you if you use the sprint key. Ever. Bullshit.

If they get rid of that garbage I might actually buy the PC version again.

those servers were actually fun in WaW (and the ones I played on were nice enough to put 'tactical' in the server name so you knew what it was via the server list), it made the game more tactical and got rid of bunny hopping.  they did allow sprint, but only if you were under direct fire or near a grenade, but the whole sprint everywhere like crazy element was gone.  I imagine those rulesets will still be possible, since someone would have to be able to kick fucktards, and whoever was in control could inform people joining.

I wonder if IW.net is going to have some sort of friends list feature.

Because I can,
YellowKing

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: October 19, 2009, 11:51:53 PM »

Umm, no, it's not whining. We have a PC Call of Duty 4 clan that has been playing twice a week since that game launched. The reason the game has stayed fresh for us is the ability to mod it, set up our own server rules, etc. Many, many, many CoD players choose the PC version precisely for the reason that there are dedicated servers with the ability to mod and customize. This announcement has caused all 14 players in our clan to cancel our pre-orders. We are not hardcore; we're just a group of friends who enjoy getting together and playing the game. Only two or three of us have consoles, so going with an Xbox version isn't an option even if we wanted to lock ourselves into playing the same generic multiplayer experience again and again with no ability to customize.

This is a tremendous slap in the face to PC players and Call of Duty fans in general. I hope they lose a shit-ton of money in cancelled pre-orders due to this asinine decision. Without a doubt this is the biggest disappointment of the year for me. And no, I won't be buying the crappy console version so I can play with dumbed down graphics using IW's idea of how I want to play the game.

Biyobi

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: October 20, 2009, 06:22:47 AM »

No wonder they dropped "Call of Duty" out of the title.  This is nothing like Call of Duty. finger
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: October 20, 2009, 07:42:07 AM »

Quote from: Biyobi on October 20, 2009, 06:22:47 AM

No wonder they dropped "Call of Duty" out of the title.  This is nothing like Call of Duty. finger

it still has Call of Duty in the title.

Because I can,
Kossak
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile WWW
« Reply #68 on: October 20, 2009, 07:53:40 AM »

Quote from: YellowKing on October 19, 2009, 11:51:53 PM

Umm, no, it's not whining. We have a PC Call of Duty 4 clan that has been playing twice a week since that game launched. The reason the game has stayed fresh for us is the ability to mod it, set up our own server rules, etc. Many, many, many CoD players choose the PC version precisely for the reason that there are dedicated servers with the ability to mod and customize. This announcement has caused all 14 players in our clan to cancel our pre-orders. We are not hardcore; we're just a group of friends who enjoy getting together and playing the game. Only two or three of us have consoles, so going with an Xbox version isn't an option even if we wanted to lock ourselves into playing the same generic multiplayer experience again and again with no ability to customize.

This is a tremendous slap in the face to PC players and Call of Duty fans in general. I hope they lose a shit-ton of money in cancelled pre-orders due to this asinine decision. Without a doubt this is the biggest disappointment of the year for me. And no, I won't be buying the crappy console version so I can play with dumbed down graphics using IW's idea of how I want to play the game.

that's exactly how i feel too. I think now that they are just greedy bastards. They want to take away modding and custom maps so they could charge us (PC players) for their DLC. They won't get my money. As i spoke with my friends with which i played cod4 and cod5 hundreds of hours - no one from them is going to buy MW2 too.

Add me: Raptr: Kossak, Steam: Kossak
Biyobi

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: October 20, 2009, 07:55:43 AM »

Quote from: CeeKay on October 20, 2009, 07:42:07 AM

No wonder they dropped "Call of Duty" out of the title.  This is nothing like Call of Duty. finger

it still has Call of Duty in the title.

I'd read somewhere a while back that they were dropping it for this line and keeping it for the WW2 line.  Looking at their website, the box art for the special editions doesn't have it on the box, but the regular versions (PC and console) does.
Farscry

View Profile
« Reply #70 on: October 20, 2009, 02:27:25 PM »

Good point. I wish they'd go back to having a solid single player campaign that tells an appropriately epic war/military story.

Roll Eyes

Purge - You have unlocked an Achievement!
You are now of the rank reprobate
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #71 on: October 20, 2009, 02:54:50 PM »

you know, after playing CoD4's single player campaign (I'd forgotten how awesome 'All Ghillied Up' was) for probably the 5th time I think I'm still grabbing this barring any horrible news about the SP.  IW hasn't disappointed me yet with the SP portions.

Because I can,
morlac

View Profile
« Reply #72 on: October 20, 2009, 04:14:08 PM »

Quote from: YellowKing on October 19, 2009, 11:51:53 PM

Could not agree more.  Moding and special rules are what keep folks playing these years after release.  Which I guess in their dim whitted view does nothing for their bottom line so they care not.  Hopefully, when the game tanks on PC they will rethink this.  Though I would guess they will blame it on piracy and just quit making these for PCs all together.

morlac00 on PSN
kratz

View Profile
« Reply #73 on: October 20, 2009, 04:19:11 PM »

Huh, disturbing news.  I guess we'll see how it pans out... I didn't really go in for mods w/ MW and WAW, but I definitely had favorite servers that I would frequent almost exclusively.
YellowKing

View Profile
« Reply #74 on: October 20, 2009, 04:40:32 PM »

Though I would guess they will blame it on piracy and just quit making these for PCs all together.

This is my biggest fear as well. They will sell enough 360/PS3 copies that the "niche" PC market that complains will be seen as an acceptable casualty.

What angers me more than the announcement itself is the fact that they waited to say anything a month before launch, and even then only in a podcast. WTF. That's just a flat-out attempt to deceive the PC market, which they've had unprecedented numbers of pre-orders for. Unbelievable.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #75 on: October 20, 2009, 05:12:28 PM »

* CeeKay puts on tinfoil hat

I'm thinking this is their attempt to kill off their PC support or it's a PR stunt where they'll reverse their decision to make themselves look benevolent.

Because I can,
Farscry

View Profile
« Reply #76 on: October 20, 2009, 05:29:51 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on October 20, 2009, 02:54:50 PM

you know, after playing CoD4's single player campaign (I'd forgotten how awesome 'All Ghillied Up' was) for probably the 5th time I think I'm still grabbing this barring any horrible news about the SP.  IW hasn't disappointed me yet with the SP portions.

Bingo. I am consistently impressed by the quality of the CoD4 campaign.

Purge - You have unlocked an Achievement!
You are now of the rank reprobate
Biyobi

View Profile
« Reply #77 on: October 20, 2009, 11:26:47 PM »

Quote from: Farscry on October 20, 2009, 02:27:25 PM

Good point. I wish they'd go back to having a solid single player campaign that tells an appropriately epic war/military story.

Roll Eyes

I enjoyed the hell out of the single player.  It was one of the few shooters that I've actually finished.  Let's be honest though.  CoD4's staying power on the charts was driven by the multiplayer content.  Activision knows this.  That's why DLC for the game is for multiplayer action, not new single player scenarios.  But they've changed a great deal of what made multiplayer awesome.  Giving you less options and calling it better is a page right out of Lenin's gameplan. (what's the communist version of Godwinizing called anyway?) eek icon_razz

Since they put a big damper on the mp for me, I just don't know that another 6-7 hours worth of content is worth the (inflated money grab) $60 price tag.
Jumangi

View Profile
« Reply #78 on: October 20, 2009, 11:34:03 PM »

Quote from: godhugh on October 18, 2009, 03:56:27 PM

Well that's the whole point to the complaining. If you just want it that way then just play the 360 or PS3 version. The PC MP community plays that version for specific reasons of dedicated servers, mods, and user maps that are now going to be taken away. I can defiantly see how this could be a big mistake and kill the MP future of MW2 on the PC.
kratz

View Profile
« Reply #79 on: October 21, 2009, 03:50:16 PM »

I don't know that it's a 'small segment of the PC crowd'... I frequent the same COD servers, because of the specific settings/rules of those servers, and I see the same people on them all the time, so I think that most people have their favorite hangouts.  Aside from no mouse look, the other big reason I don't play MP on consoles is because of the lack of dedicated and customized servers.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: