http://gamingtrend.com
April 21, 2014, 12:09:38 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23] 24 25   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 confirmed! [Now with hands on!]  (Read 42013 times)
MrDuck
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile WWW
« Reply #880 on: November 09, 2009, 08:07:23 PM »

A lot of the weapons used are -insane-, in a good way smile

Also...riot shield does save lives....damn.

Xbox360 Live! Gamertag: Wuigi69
leo8877
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« Reply #881 on: November 09, 2009, 08:08:29 PM »

Quote from: Isgrimnur on November 09, 2009, 08:06:12 PM

I will probably forego Prestige this time around and focus on unlocking weapons and challenges rather than re-starting the treadmill every time I hit it.  Either way, I'm sure I'll take a K/D hit, so I might as well keep some of the stuff that I accumulate and stop having to re-earn all the weapons that I've come to rely on.

I'm for sure skipping prestige, just like COD4.
Caine

My cocaine

View Profile
« Reply #882 on: November 09, 2009, 08:09:05 PM »

Quote from: SensuousLettuce on November 09, 2009, 08:03:32 PM

Quote from: MrDuck on November 09, 2009, 08:01:15 PM

I thought you played to slaughter all those that opposed you Hark slywink

NO, he watches 25 hrs of pre vid, studies the maps and ballistics information of the wapons and takes time off of work to slaughter all those who oppose him. slywink

hark took mw2 so seriously, he laid himself off.  

(wow, that sounds dirtier than i thought i would be.)

joking aside, i hope he gets something stable.  

joking back on, i'm in the same boat come december 1st. sure, it's not off for mw2, but i am after all, not as hardcore about it. slywink

"It's like chess with big guns against aliens. Which isn't like chess at all when I think about it." - Jake Solomon
JayDee

View Profile
« Reply #883 on: November 09, 2009, 08:09:43 PM »

Quote from: PeteRock on November 09, 2009, 08:00:55 PM

Quote from: Harkonis on November 09, 2009, 07:57:03 PM

I think the perk choices , attachment choices and the kills streaks are what make me play CoD

Same here.  Otherwise you just have yet another cookie-cutter shooter.  I love the leveling system in COD, I enjoy the perk options as everyone plays the game differently and it allows you to customize your load-out and perk system to fit your own style of play, and the leveling and perk systems allow you to always be working toward something beyond just amassing kills. 

I'm not saying that it should be eliminated. I'm just thinking that an option to play vanilla MP would be interesting to see how good you really are toe to toe with the same weapons and armour as everyone else.
PeteRock

Fabulous is a state of being. For me, anyways.

View Profile
« Reply #884 on: November 09, 2009, 08:10:33 PM »

Quote from: leo8877 on November 09, 2009, 08:08:29 PM

I will probably forego Prestige this time around and focus on unlocking weapons and challenges rather than re-starting the treadmill every time I hit it.  Either way, I'm sure I'll take a K/D hit, so I might as well keep some of the stuff that I accumulate and stop having to re-earn all the weapons that I've come to rely on.

Hell, I never reached a high enough level to even have the option in either COD4 or W@W.   icon_redface  The same will probably apply to MW2 as well.

Beauty is only skin deep.  Which is why I take very good care of my skin.
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #885 on: November 09, 2009, 08:10:53 PM »

Quote from: MrDuck on November 09, 2009, 08:01:15 PM

I thought you played to slaughter all those that opposed you Hark slywink

that's just a side effect of me playing slywink  When I play a multiplayer game, everyone playing within the same subnet mask dies.  Geek norris'd.

I think it will be more important to Prestige this time through.  Having extra custom slots is going to be huge and abusable with One Man Army.

I suggest everyone who enjoys the game prestige as soon as you can.  You have plenty of gear and weapons available at any given level, and on top of that you earn xp for pretty much everything you do.  You now get rewards for prestiging.  If you dont' prestige, you are also more likely to get bored having no real goals and in-game 'carrots'.  If you decide to prestige at a later date, you pretty much lose all the xp you earned between the time you hit 71 and the time you flip.  (poor Fuzz prestiged almost a full year after hitting max level)

I'll always be there to throw you some supply crates and cover your back at any rate slywink
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #886 on: November 09, 2009, 08:12:29 PM »

Quote from: JayDee on November 09, 2009, 08:09:43 PM

Quote from: PeteRock on November 09, 2009, 08:00:55 PM

Quote from: Harkonis on November 09, 2009, 07:57:03 PM

I think the perk choices , attachment choices and the kills streaks are what make me play CoD

Same here.  Otherwise you just have yet another cookie-cutter shooter.  I love the leveling system in COD, I enjoy the perk options as everyone plays the game differently and it allows you to customize your load-out and perk system to fit your own style of play, and the leveling and perk systems allow you to always be working toward something beyond just amassing kills. 

I'm not saying that it should be eliminated. I'm just thinking that an option to play vanilla MP would be interesting to see how good you really are toe to toe with the same weapons and armour as everyone else.

there is that option, you can start a private match and choose 'perks off' at least it was an option in the previous two.
Isgrimnur

View Profile
« Reply #887 on: November 09, 2009, 08:12:56 PM »

Quote from: PeteRock on November 09, 2009, 08:10:33 PM

Hell, I never reached a high enough level to even have the option in either COD4 or W@W.   icon_redface  The same will probably apply to MW2 as well.

You just don't play enough.  The next two months (at least) are going to be nothing but playtime for this game.  Come play with us. [/creepy]

Hadron Smasher on 360; IsgrimnurTTU on PS3

I'd rather be watching hockey.
Caine

My cocaine

View Profile
« Reply #888 on: November 09, 2009, 08:13:53 PM »

yeah, same here.  mostly, it's just the amount of time i have before the bulk of the group moves on.  having kids and a job does harsh things to one's gaming time.  at any rate, i'll have december off, so that may help me push forward enough before the annual post xmas "CoD crashing Live" event to get close this time.

"It's like chess with big guns against aliens. Which isn't like chess at all when I think about it." - Jake Solomon
msteelers

View Profile
« Reply #889 on: November 09, 2009, 08:15:47 PM »

I resisted going prestige in COD4, but as Hark mentioned, it's easy to get bored once you have finished all of the achievements and milestones. Prestige mode kept me playing COD4 for months after I would have been bored with it. As for W@W, I did the prestige mode as soon as I could. Those extra custom class slots became pretty valuable, and by the end of my time playing it I was able to set up a kit for pretty much any situation I needed. Plus, it became a challenge to see how quickly I could level back up, especially during double XP weekends. Advancing four ranks in a single match is fun.

Tune in to hear me spout nonsense about Fantasy Football every Thursday evening at 6:08.
Isgrimnur

View Profile
« Reply #890 on: November 09, 2009, 08:16:14 PM »

Hark, I'd been staying away from a lot of info.  If there's more actual benefits to going with prestige, I may have to re-think my stance.  Damn you!  HAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARK!!

metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #891 on: November 09, 2009, 08:17:53 PM »

how many of you are getting it on PS3 and at midnight?

its just that PSN is offline tomorrow 8am GMT(which means midnight for west US i think)...scheduled to be down for 3 hrs

they couldn't of picked a better day,LOL

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=226955

The PlayStation Network will go offline for scheduled maintenance tomorrow morning, Sony's noted.

The PS3 online service will be unavailable from 8:00am GMT until 11:00am GMT (though that's an "estimate" finish time), a community man notes on the official PlayStation forums.

"During this time, you may be unable to sign in to the PlayStation Network. We expect that users will be affected for only 15 minutes during this period," the Sony man says.

i am not sure what the 15 minutes effect means though...is it 3 hrs or is it 15 minutes???

glad i am getting the 360 version,but more than likely i will be playing through the single player first...maybe that's a good idea for PS3 peeps

Manchester United Premier League Champions 2013!!

Xbox LIVE:Metallicorphan
Wii:8565 1513 0206 1960
PSN:Metallicorphan
PeteRock

View Profile
« Reply #892 on: November 09, 2009, 08:18:42 PM »

Quote from: Isgrimnur on November 09, 2009, 08:12:56 PM

Quote from: PeteRock on November 09, 2009, 08:10:33 PM

You just don't play enough.  The next two months (at least) are going to be nothing but playtime for this game.  Come play with us. [/creepy]

Well, now that I've elliminated petty responsibilities like going to work or holding onto a job I have all of the time in the world.  Prestige mode here I come!

Playing videogames all day and using unemployment money to buy beer.  I have actually become a true deadbeat.  How far the fabulous have fallen.  icon_redface

Isgrimnur

View Profile
« Reply #893 on: November 09, 2009, 08:19:31 PM »

Just think of it as a well-deserved break from fiscal responsibility.

Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #894 on: November 09, 2009, 08:20:26 PM »

there is also another reason to go prestige, and that is that no matter how bad you are, you always make forward progress in xp.  It might be slow, but IW have proven that their games have some crazy legs.  I will almost certainly be skipping Treyarch's next.
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #895 on: November 09, 2009, 08:22:54 PM »

no matter how awesome my powers may be, I dont' seem to be able to will time to move faster today.  ninja
PeteRock

View Profile
« Reply #896 on: November 09, 2009, 08:24:32 PM »

I'm so anxious for MW2 that while I have COD4 loaded in my 360 I can't seem to pull myself away from talking about MW2 to actually play COD4 in anticipation. 

Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #897 on: November 09, 2009, 08:25:10 PM »

It's times like these I think we should just have an Xfire chat room since we pretty much post in the forums fast enough to mimic one anyway slywink
ATB

Thanks for everything, Ryan. 1979-2013

View Profile
« Reply #898 on: November 09, 2009, 08:34:19 PM »

Quote from: Harkonis on November 09, 2009, 08:22:54 PM

no matter how awesome my powers may be, I dont' seem to be able to will time to move faster today.  ninja

icon_mrgreen thumbsup
Isgrimnur

View Profile
« Reply #899 on: November 09, 2009, 08:36:50 PM »

If I wasn't taking a day off for Thanksgiving and trying to bridge Christmas to New Year's with my remaining time off, I would likely be coming down with the MW2 Flu tomorrow.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2009, 08:38:23 PM by Isgrimnur » Logged

leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #900 on: November 09, 2009, 08:37:45 PM »

The way I see it with Prestige is that I spend forever trying to get to the guns and mods I want, I would no longer enjoy playing if I restarted from scratch and lost them all.  I didn't lose steam on COD4 even without going Prestige.
msteelers

View Profile
« Reply #901 on: November 09, 2009, 08:43:24 PM »

Damn it, I've been working on this project trying to put myself in a position where I could take Wednesday off and not be too far behind. Unfortunately, I'm realizing that this little task is turning into a pain in the ass, and it's going to take me much longer than I originally thought. And it doesn't help at all that I can barely focus for more than three minutes without wandering back to this thread.  icon_mad

Maybe I can push the "work from home" angle, but I know that is just not going to happen.

Tune in to hear me spout nonsense about Fantasy Football every Thursday evening at 6:08.
coopasonic

View Profile WWW
« Reply #902 on: November 09, 2009, 08:48:10 PM »

Quote from: Isgrimnur on November 09, 2009, 08:36:50 PM

I would likely be coming down with the MW2 Flu tomorrow.

You know Xbox Live will. slywink

It was this moment that took the movie from being a little ho-hum to “holy shit, did that shark just eat a plane!?”
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #903 on: November 09, 2009, 08:49:49 PM »

Quote from: leo8877 on November 09, 2009, 08:37:45 PM

The way I see it with Prestige is that I spend forever trying to get to the guns and mods I want, I would no longer enjoy playing if I restarted from scratch and lost them all.  I didn't lose steam on COD4 even without going Prestige.

I just made sure that I got comfortable with kits composed of the starting weapons, then looked at the other stuff as bonus items/gear that I get to use during the journey. 
Isgrimnur

View Profile
« Reply #904 on: November 09, 2009, 08:50:09 PM »

Quote from: coopasonic on November 09, 2009, 08:48:10 PM

Quote from: Isgrimnur on November 09, 2009, 08:36:50 PM

I would likely be coming down with the MW2 Flu tomorrow.

You know Xbox Live will. slywink

Yeah, probably just as well...

MrDuck
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile WWW
« Reply #905 on: November 09, 2009, 09:17:30 PM »

Quote from: Isgrimnur on November 09, 2009, 08:16:14 PM

HAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARK!!

Fixed slywink

Xbox360 Live! Gamertag: Wuigi69
jztemple2

View Profile
« Reply #906 on: November 09, 2009, 09:24:38 PM »

Bugger, I have work and a dentist appointment and by then all the teeny boopers will be in line at the store. I'll see if I have time to spend there, but if it's a long line it's going to be Wednesday for me.

True, but when the snarky comment is served on a platter, you don't wait for the napkin. - Bullwinkle
PointerOO
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #907 on: November 09, 2009, 09:47:17 PM »

For anybody in the UK Sainsburys are selling the game for just £26 until 15th November (all formats). I don't even really want the game and even I am tempted to buy it for that price!!
coopasonic

View Profile WWW
« Reply #908 on: November 09, 2009, 10:04:06 PM »

Quote from: jztemple2 on November 09, 2009, 09:24:38 PM

Bugger, I have work and a dentist appointment and by then all the teeny boopers will be in line at the store. I'll see if I have time to spend there, but if it's a long line it's going to be Wednesday for me.

Target, Wal-Mart, Best Buy - if theres a line at one store, go to one of the other hundred stores... maybe I'm spoiled by living in retail central.

It was this moment that took the movie from being a little ho-hum to “holy shit, did that shark just eat a plane!?”
jztemple2

View Profile
« Reply #909 on: November 09, 2009, 10:09:27 PM »

Quote from: coopasonic on November 09, 2009, 10:04:06 PM

Quote from: jztemple2 on November 09, 2009, 09:24:38 PM

Target, Wal-Mart, Best Buy - if theres a line at one store, go to one of the other hundred stores... maybe I'm spoiled by living in retail central.

I have it pre-ordered. Yeah, I could go across the street to Walmart, but that place is pure evil  icon_evil

True, but when the snarky comment is served on a platter, you don't wait for the napkin. - Bullwinkle
Isgrimnur

View Profile
« Reply #910 on: November 09, 2009, 10:12:10 PM »

Metroplex FTW!

Heck, I have two Gamestops in shopping centers separated by a Wendys and a Whataburger.  According to their store locator, they are .16 miles (845 feet) apart.  

I forget the game, but I walked into one to get a copy on release day, they told me all they had were pre-orders, walked down to the other one, paid for my copy and went home.  

metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #911 on: November 09, 2009, 10:24:30 PM »

Quote from: PointerOO on November 09, 2009, 09:47:17 PM

For anybody in the UK Sainsburys are selling the game for just £26 until 15th November (all formats). I don't even really want the game and even I am tempted to buy it for that price!!

damn i have already pre-ordered it and put the money on a GAME card...all £45 quid :icon_evil

Manchester United Premier League Champions 2013!!

Xbox LIVE:Metallicorphan
Wii:8565 1513 0206 1960
PSN:Metallicorphan
ATB

View Profile
« Reply #912 on: November 09, 2009, 10:39:31 PM »

Has there been any word on a stat tracking site of any kind?
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #913 on: November 09, 2009, 10:48:23 PM »

Quote from: SensuousLettuce on November 09, 2009, 10:39:31 PM

Not at launch, at least.

http://multiplayerblog.mtv.com/2009/11/06/call-of-duty-modern-warfare-2-to-have-bungienet-style-stat-tracking-not-at-launch/
Caine

My cocaine

View Profile
« Reply #914 on: November 09, 2009, 10:49:54 PM »

i just found out that instead of a late night wednesday at work, it was moved up to tomorrow.  bum deal for release day, but i think i'll leverage that into coming in late tomorrow and using that time to get the game when the store opens.

ATB

View Profile
« Reply #915 on: November 09, 2009, 10:57:33 PM »

Quote from: leo8877 on November 09, 2009, 10:48:23 PM

Quote from: SensuousLettuce on November 09, 2009, 10:39:31 PM

Not at launch, at least.

http://multiplayerblog.mtv.com/2009/11/06/call-of-duty-modern-warfare-2-to-have-bungienet-style-stat-tracking-not-at-launch/

That's pretty much inexcusable, IMO.
PeteRock

View Profile
« Reply #916 on: November 10, 2009, 01:00:57 AM »

Wireless headset charging, dinner is on the table, Monday Night Football is starting, and the cooler is loaded with beer to "tailgate" the midnight release.   icon_cool  

And Jaime even volunteered to come along so that I don't have to drink wait outside alone.   The Weghted Companion Cube will never threaten to stab you.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2009, 01:09:12 AM by PeteRock » Logged

PeteRock

View Profile
« Reply #917 on: November 10, 2009, 01:20:28 AM »

For those who have not pre-ordered the game, how early does one go to a midnight launch for a game?  I'm going to a local Best Buy, and Jaime keeps asking me how early we have to go, but I haven't the slightest idea.  She seems to be more excited about this than I am, and she doesn't even play the game.  I was thinking 10ish, and I guess we can just head over after the Steelers/Broncos game.  We'll just bring books and beer to pass the time. 

leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #918 on: November 10, 2009, 01:24:59 AM »

Quote from: PeteRock on November 10, 2009, 01:20:28 AM

For those who have not pre-ordered the game, how early does one go to a midnight launch for a game?  I'm going to a local Best Buy, and Jaime keeps asking me how early we have to go, but I haven't the slightest idea.  She seems to be more excited about this than I am, and she doesn't even play the game.  I was thinking 10ish, and I guess we can just head over after the Steelers/Broncos game.  We'll just bring books and beer to pass the time. 

I've done one midnight opening, for a WoW expansion, and it got pretty busy, but this was at a little gamestop.  At a BB I would expect that there will be a good turnout, but plenty of staff/games to get people in and out.  I'd say bundle up because I remember how cold it was here in CA for that, but you're in AZ and it'll probably be shorts weather slywink
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #919 on: November 10, 2009, 01:34:17 AM »

at 7pm there were about 100 people already lined up in front of the local Gamestop.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23] 24 25   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: