http://gamingtrend.com
September 16, 2014, 07:47:36 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 25   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 confirmed! [Now with hands on!]  (Read 42739 times)
JayDee
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« Reply #480 on: October 27, 2009, 05:18:19 PM »

I just saw a leaked video of the first mission in MW2. I have a feeling this is going to make a lot of people uncomfortable. It's in another language so I didn't get the context, but it's pretty shocking.
Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #481 on: October 27, 2009, 05:20:51 PM »

Quote from: JayDee on October 27, 2009, 05:18:19 PM

I just saw a leaked video of the first mission in MW2. I have a feeling this is going to make a lot of people uncomfortable. It's in another language so I didn't get the context, but it's pretty shocking.

It's not clowns, is it? Please tell me it's not clowns.

"Is there any chance your jolly Garchomp is female?" - Wonderpug
El-Producto

View Profile
« Reply #482 on: October 27, 2009, 05:35:57 PM »

I've read a translation, and it certainly puts it more in context.  Still disturbing though.

"Goonies never say die"
Chaz

View Profile
« Reply #483 on: October 27, 2009, 05:41:18 PM »

More disturbing than some of the stuff in CoD4? There was some pretty intense stuff in there too. 

I'm almost more psyched for the campaign of MW2 than the multiplayer.  Especially if they really did get rid of the infinite respawn triggers.

Sarkus

View Profile
« Reply #484 on: October 27, 2009, 06:33:50 PM »

The context I've heard is still going to be controversial.  Yeah, this game is probably going to get some national media attention for this.  I'm not entirely sure they needed to go down this particular road.

Roger: And you should know, I have no genitals.
Syndey: That's alright.  I have both.

- American Dad
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #485 on: October 27, 2009, 06:54:17 PM »

I just watched the whole video and I didnt' see anything even remotely controversial.  Was Takedown not the mission you guys are talking about?  Nothing shocking or jarring in the slightest in this one.
Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #486 on: October 27, 2009, 06:59:14 PM »

Holy crap, yeah, this is not going to be good unless I am really misunderstanding what is going on.

Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #487 on: October 27, 2009, 07:00:03 PM »

Quote from: Harkonis on October 27, 2009, 06:54:17 PM

I just watched the whole video and I didnt' see anything even remotely controversial.  Was Takedown not the mission you guys are talking about?  Nothing shocking or jarring in the slightest in this one.

Spoiler for Hiden:
I don't know the name of the mission, but the video I saw had you acting as a terrorist and shooting civilians in an airport.

El-Producto

View Profile
« Reply #488 on: October 27, 2009, 07:01:42 PM »

I just watched the whole video and I didnt' see anything even remotely controversial.  Was Takedown not the mission you guys are talking about?  Nothing shocking or jarring in the slightest in this one.

Spoiler for Hiden:
Gunning down civilians isn't controversial?  Wow.  I'm desensitized, but that caused me to stop and think

"Goonies never say die"
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #489 on: October 27, 2009, 07:05:21 PM »

Quote from: El-Producto on October 27, 2009, 07:01:42 PM

I just watched the whole video and I didnt' see anything even remotely controversial.  Was Takedown not the mission you guys are talking about?  Nothing shocking or jarring in the slightest in this one.

Spoiler for Hiden:
Gunning down civilians isn't controversial?  Wow.  I'm desensitized, but that caused me to stop and think

No, Hark found what I found which was an old video labeled "First level MW2" or something like that on Youtube.  That video is in Rio and I don't think it's the video you guys are talking about which takes place somewhere else.
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #490 on: October 27, 2009, 07:07:06 PM »

Also I watched the beginning of the video and I saw the guy select the mission and it looked like it was well into ACT 1, not the first mission of the game.

I can't see how this is going to go over well with the media either.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #491 on: October 27, 2009, 07:08:54 PM »

being a fan of the Postal series I don't see the big deal icon_wink

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
msteelers

View Profile
« Reply #492 on: October 27, 2009, 07:09:26 PM »

Quote from: Teggy on October 27, 2009, 07:00:03 PM

Spoiler for Hiden:
I don't know the name of the mission, but the video I saw had you acting as a terrorist and shooting civilians in an airport.

The "first level" video that I saw was nothing like that. I sat through 8:00 minutes to see what was so controversial, and was left with the same impression Harkonis had. I can see how the video you saw would be a little upsetting.

Spoiler for Hiden:
I have a hard time getting worked up over this. Grand Theft Auto would seemingly go far beyond this. It will all depend on the context of the video. If it's just in there for the sake of being there, then it's kind of in poor taste. But in the right context it could work.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2009, 07:33:58 PM by msteelers » Logged

Tune in to hear me spout nonsense about Fantasy Football every Thursday evening at 6:08.
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #493 on: October 27, 2009, 07:10:20 PM »

Here's the controversial video:

http://hellforge.gameriot.com/blogs/Hellforge/Modern-Warfare-2s-Controversial-Opening
El-Producto

View Profile
« Reply #494 on: October 27, 2009, 07:12:12 PM »

They've just sold a million more copies leaking a video like that.

"Goonies never say die"
Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #495 on: October 27, 2009, 07:13:28 PM »

It's also posted on The Escapist.

leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #496 on: October 27, 2009, 07:17:06 PM »

Quote from: Teggy on October 27, 2009, 07:13:28 PM

It's also posted on The Escapist.

Yeah that one gets right to the point of what the controversy is.

Wow, I can't believe they put that in a game with someone that you are actually controlling.
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #497 on: October 27, 2009, 07:19:22 PM »

yep, THAT video was pretty disturbing... anyone have a link to the full context of what you're doing and why?
msteelers

View Profile
« Reply #498 on: October 27, 2009, 07:26:08 PM »

Quote from: leo8877 on October 27, 2009, 07:17:06 PM

Wow, I can't believe they put that in a game with someone that you are actually controlling.

Spoiler for Hiden:
Why? GTA has been doing it for years.*

*I reserve the right to change my tune once I see the level in the context of the overall story.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2009, 07:34:18 PM by msteelers » Logged

Tune in to hear me spout nonsense about Fantasy Football every Thursday evening at 6:08.
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #499 on: October 27, 2009, 07:27:27 PM »

Quote from: msteelers on October 27, 2009, 07:26:08 PM

*I reserve the right to change my tune once I see the level in the context of the overall story.

Spoiler for Hiden:
Perhaps you are right, let's see how it plays out in the final game.  Maybe it's because I hate flying and this only adds to my fears!
« Last Edit: October 27, 2009, 07:31:43 PM by leo8877 » Logged
naednek
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #500 on: October 27, 2009, 07:28:44 PM »

Thanks for keeping everything in spoilers.  Please continue to do so.
Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #501 on: October 27, 2009, 07:29:00 PM »

Spoiler for Hiden:
GTA is more cartoonish and tongue in cheek, and while you are at times a bad guy, you never play an honest-to-goodness terrorist.

Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #502 on: October 27, 2009, 07:29:59 PM »

Quote from: Harkonis on October 27, 2009, 07:19:22 PM

yep, THAT video was pretty disturbing... anyone have a link to the full context of what you're doing and why?

Phew! I know being unemployed can make people bitter, but I thought we had lost you there!

msteelers

View Profile
« Reply #503 on: October 27, 2009, 07:42:19 PM »

Quote from: Teggy on October 27, 2009, 07:29:00 PM

Spoiler for Hiden:
GTA is more cartoonish and tongue in cheek, and while you are at times a bad guy, you never play an honest-to-goodness terrorist.

Spoiler for Hiden:
I'll give you the cartoonish and tongue in cheek points, but not the other one. If the point of the controversy is not that innocent people are getting murdered by the player, and instead that the player is a terrorist, then all I can do is tear. Or if we are sensitive about the airport setting, then that can also be matched in GTA. While players might not be able to make it inside the airport, can't you use rockets to blow up airplanes? Or am I making that up?

Either way, IW doesn't seem like the type of people that would put this into the game just to be controversial. After some incredibly powerful scenes in COD4, I think they have earned the right to be given the benefit of the doubt here. If not from the mainstream media, then at least from the gaming community.

Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #504 on: October 27, 2009, 07:50:52 PM »

Quote from: msteelers on October 27, 2009, 07:42:19 PM

Quote from: Teggy on October 27, 2009, 07:29:00 PM

Spoiler for Hiden:

Spoiler for Hiden:
I'll give you the cartoonish and tongue in cheek points, but not the other one. If the point of the controversy is not that innocent people are getting murdered by the player, and instead that the player is a terrorist, then all I can do is tear. Or if we are sensitive about the airport setting, then that can also be matched in GTA. While players might not be able to make it inside the airport, can't you use rockets to blow up airplanes? Or am I making that up?

Either way, IW doesn't seem like the type of people that would put this into the game just to be controversial. After some incredibly powerful scenes in COD4, I think they have earned the right to be given the benefit of the doubt here. If not from the mainstream media, then at least from the gaming community.

Spoiler for Hiden:
Yes, you can go to the airport and blow stuff up, but the story does not require you to do so. Sometimes you are asked to take out some pizza guy or somebody's cheating husband, or rob a bank and wind up killing cops, but you are never put in the shoes of an enemy of the government and are required to kill innocents. I just think the feel is very different. But yes, we should wait and see exactly what it is before passing judgement.

Regardless, I'm sure Jack Thompson is filing suit as we speak.

msteelers

View Profile
« Reply #505 on: October 27, 2009, 07:58:47 PM »

Quote from: Teggy on October 27, 2009, 07:50:52 PM

Regardless, I'm sure Jack Thompson is filing suit as we speak.

Agreed.

Roguetad

View Profile
« Reply #506 on: October 27, 2009, 07:58:52 PM »

They definitely evoked some emotions from me while watching the leaked video.  I can't believe I'm actually about to write this, especially as a jaded gamer and veteran Marine, but I was kind of disgusted by what I just saw.  Maybe pissed is the better word for how I felt.  I know it's just a game, but man, that was f***ed up.  if the intention of that level is to make me feel that way, then they succeeded...and then some.

If this level is legit, the backlash is going to be ugly.  

Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #507 on: October 27, 2009, 07:59:32 PM »

Spoiler for Hiden:
apparently it's not really you as a terrorist, but you in the completely unenviable position of being undercover in a terrorist organization and receiving orders that to avoid another nuclear event, you have to participate in the attack and do whatever is needed to convince the leader that you are on his team. sacrifice many to save many more.
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #508 on: October 27, 2009, 08:00:48 PM »

and for the record, I'm pretty sure the intent of the mission IS to evoke a strong emotional reaction.  I know in the first game both the AC-130 and the Nuke scenes turned my stomach and really made me a bit emotional.  Either too realistic, or too gripping.  This game looks to try to grab the same strings.
msteelers

View Profile
« Reply #509 on: October 27, 2009, 08:08:40 PM »

Quote from: Harkonis on October 27, 2009, 07:59:32 PM

Spoiler for Hiden:
apparently it's not really you as a terrorist, but you in the completely unenviable position of being undercover in a terrorist organization and receiving orders that to avoid another nuclear event, you have to participate in the attack and do whatever is needed to convince the leader that you are on his team. sacrifice many to save many more.

icon_eek

pr0ner

Go Flames go!

View Profile
« Reply #510 on: October 27, 2009, 08:13:00 PM »

So tempted to click the spoilers, but I don't want to know what all the fuss is about because I want to find out for myself when I play the game.  Decisions decisions.

XBox Live Gamertag: Pr0ner
msteelers

View Profile
« Reply #511 on: October 27, 2009, 08:13:46 PM »

Quote from: pr0ner on October 27, 2009, 08:13:00 PM

So tempted to click the spoilers, but I don't want to know what all the fuss is about because I want to find out for myself when I play the game.  Decisions decisions.

Don't do it. I'm wishing I hadn't.

Isgrimnur

View Profile
« Reply #512 on: October 27, 2009, 08:13:59 PM »

Quote from: msteelers on October 27, 2009, 08:13:46 PM

Quote from: pr0ner on October 27, 2009, 08:13:00 PM

Don't do it. I'm wishing I hadn't.
+1

Hadron Smasher on 360; IsgrimnurTTU on PS3

I'd rather be watching hockey.
Ridah
Senior Staff Writer

View Profile
« Reply #513 on: October 27, 2009, 08:46:39 PM »

Quote from: Roguetad on October 27, 2009, 07:58:52 PM

They definitely evoked some emotions from me while watching the leaked video.  I can't believe I'm actually about to write this, especially as a jaded gamer and veteran Marine, but I was kind of disgusted by what I just saw.  Maybe pissed is the better word for how I felt.  I know it's just a game, but man, that was f***ed up.  if the intention of that level is to make me feel that way, then they succeeded...and then some.

If this level is legit, the backlash is going to be ugly.   

No it won't, it's going to create sales.

Sean Lama
Senior Staff Editor, GamingTrend
Ridah
Senior Staff Writer

View Profile
« Reply #514 on: October 27, 2009, 08:48:30 PM »

Spoiler for Hiden:
I don't understand the issue entirely, some of you are angry/disgusted at the fact that you are a U.S government agent killing civilians? Or am I misunderstanding?

Thanks for keeping everything in spoilers.  Please continue to do so.

Thanks for spoiling it for myself and others.  Please think before posting. 
« Last Edit: October 27, 2009, 10:10:31 PM by naednek » Logged

Sean Lama
Senior Staff Editor, GamingTrend
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #515 on: October 27, 2009, 08:54:29 PM »

And BANG! I was waiting for the first person to forget the spoiler tag. Oops, Ridah?  icon_razz
ATB

Thanks for everything, Ryan. 1979-2013

View Profile
« Reply #516 on: October 27, 2009, 09:29:03 PM »

Great Ridah. Swell work there.  thumbsdown
KePoW

View Profile
« Reply #517 on: October 27, 2009, 09:58:46 PM »

wtf, c'mon Ridah...
Knightshade Dragon