http://gamingtrend.com
November 27, 2014, 10:16:54 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare  (Read 3952 times)
Soulchilde
Gaming Trend Senior Member

You and I have unfinished business

View Profile
« on: May 02, 2014, 11:19:57 AM »

Next installment due by 11/4 With Kevin Spacey

Shown on the XB1

Quote from: Devil on January 12, 2007, 01:14:38 AM

NiM$
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2014, 01:32:25 PM »

Quote from: Soulchilde on May 02, 2014, 11:19:57 AM

Shown on the XB1

I guess that means Xbox will be the lead platform for Call of Duty this generation as well. This has been the topic of quite a bit of debate recently, with most people suspecting that the PS4 would get to carry the torch this time around. I wonder what kind of impact, if any, this will have.

Kind of cool that Spacey is getting into video games in some way, though I wish he would have done that in some other franchise than Call of Duty. Having said that, this trailer was actually quite nice, most of all thanks to his performance.

gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2014, 01:36:04 PM »

Well the Golden Gate bridge is there so I guess that means I'm going to have to buy it.
Soulchilde

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2014, 01:40:01 PM »

Quote from: TiLT on May 02, 2014, 01:32:25 PM

Shown on the XB1

I guess that means Xbox will be the lead platform for Call of Duty this generation as well. This has been the topic of quite a bit of debate recently, with most people suspecting that the PS4 would get to carry the torch this time around. I wonder what kind of impact, if any, this will have.

Kind of cool that Spacey is getting into video games in some way, though I wish he would have done that in some other franchise than Call of Duty. Having said that, this trailer was actually quite nice, most of all thanks to his performance.

Actually, I found it odd the Polygon pointed this out.   I expected that the PS4 would be the lead console as well. 

NiM$
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2014, 01:45:14 PM »

Shown on the XB1

Doesn't it seem a bit of pay for display on MS' part?  I thought that the trailer was an Activision creation and they probably got some moola to put that in the beginning there.
forgeforsaken

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2014, 01:46:06 PM »

I wouldn't confuse lead platform with a co-marketing deal.   MS had that in place last gen and I would imagine they'd want to retain that now more than ever.  Probably still timed DLC too.
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2014, 01:48:59 PM »

Quote from: Soulchilde on May 02, 2014, 01:40:01 PM

Shown on the XB1

Actually, I found it odd the Polygon pointed this out.   I expected that the PS4 would be the lead console as well. 

Polygon seem to be, if not outright MS shills, at least Xbox fanboys, so it doesn't seem surprising to me that they'd trumpet this.

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2014, 02:03:04 PM »

I think it's a newsworthy thing to point out.  It caught my attention when I saw the trailer.

We'll see how much it's really worth though if/when the PS4 version turns out to have better graphics & performance.
ATB

Thanks for everything, Ryan. 1979-2013

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2014, 03:37:39 PM »

Trailer looks great, but if it’s the same MP on small maps with indestructible tables and chairs… and shooting logs to make them fall in one place on one map is their idea of changeable terrain…I just don’t know man.

I enjoyed Ghosts a lot, but BF has taken it so FAR beyond what COD fundamentally is.
Suitably Ironic Moniker

WAKKA-WAKKA-WAKKA!!!

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2014, 05:01:25 PM »

What's next, Ghost Recon: Modern Warfighter?

Patriotism means being loyal to your country all the time and to its government when it deserves it - Mark Twain

3ds friend code: 0001-3352-7186
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 02, 2014, 05:16:22 PM »

Call of Duty: Pretty Basic Warfare

The top killstreak grants you a moderately sized rock.
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 02, 2014, 05:21:06 PM »

Quote from: wonderpug on May 02, 2014, 05:16:22 PM

Call of Duty: Pretty Basic Warfare

The top killstreak grants you a moderately sized rock.

Next streak is a sheet of paper!
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: May 02, 2014, 06:52:16 PM »

Looks like Crysisfall to me.  The AAA shooters are converging on one point. 

Sandwiches do fix everything.
th'FOOL
Executive Producer and Editor-At-Large

Never whistle while you're pissing

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: May 02, 2014, 09:31:31 PM »

Quote from: Soulchilde on May 02, 2014, 01:40:01 PM

Shown on the XB1

It's blatantly the first thing in the trailer.

Mike Dunn
Executive Producer & Managing Editor, GamingTrend
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: May 02, 2014, 10:07:27 PM »

Not that I really care about Call of Duty, but I always pay attention to the business surrounding it. It turns out Microsoft has opened its wallet for Activision again, making sure that all DLC for the game has a 1-month exclusivity to the Xbox One.

I just hate that shit! I was half expecting (and dreading) Sony to go that route for the PS4, making CoD DLC timed exclusives with their new position in the marketplace, but no. Microsoft continues this despicable practice, so we don't even get to know if Sony would have done the same thing.

Why is it despicable? Because it represents a console manufacturer paying a publisher, not to give gamers more stuff, but to take it away from them. That's fine when DLC is created through collaborative funding, like Microsoft apparently did with GTA4, but not when they just bribe a publisher to keep their stuff off the competitor's platform. This can be spun in all kinds of directions, but it's an indisputable fact that the only ones to lose from such business practices are the gamers themselves.

So a heartfelt fuck you to Microsoft for continuing this practice in the new generation, and another fuck you to Activision for throwing more than half of their potential customers under the bus. And I'll be standing in line to give Sony the same treatment if they pull off this shit in the same way later, thank you very much.

Edit: Oh yeah, Activision is doing the same thing with Destiny too, aren't they? Only this time with Sony. So yeah, a fuck you to Sony for good measure, and a double fuck you to Activision.

I'm annoyed.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2014, 10:11:54 PM by TiLT » Logged
forgeforsaken

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 02, 2014, 10:11:56 PM »

Quote from: TiLT on May 02, 2014, 10:07:27 PM

Not that I really care about Call of Duty, but I always pay attention to the business surrounding it. It turns out Microsoft has opened its wallet for Activision again, making sure that all DLC for the game has a 1-month exclusivity to the Xbox One.

I just hate that shit! I was half expecting (and dreading) Sony to go that route for the PS4, making CoD DLC timed exclusives with their new position in the marketplace, but no. Microsoft continues this despicable practice, so we don't even get to know if Sony would have done the same thing.

We know as Sony has had exclusive DLC for various Ubisoft games and the Batmans.
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: May 02, 2014, 10:12:40 PM »

Quote from: forgeforsaken on May 02, 2014, 10:11:56 PM

Quote from: TiLT on May 02, 2014, 10:07:27 PM

We know as Sony has had exclusive DLC for various Ubisoft games and the Batmans.

That's content that wouldn't have existed without one of the console manufacturers paying for it, so that's fine by me.
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: May 02, 2014, 10:20:00 PM »

Aah, I see.  So when Sony does it that means they are creating opportunity for more content.  When Microsoft does it FUCK YOU capitalist pigs!   Roll Eyes

forgeforsaken

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 02, 2014, 10:26:38 PM »

Quote from: EngineNo9 on May 02, 2014, 10:20:00 PM

Aah, I see.  So when Sony does it that means they are creating opportunity for more content.  When Microsoft does it FUCK YOU capitalist pigs!   Roll Eyes

Well, I agree and disagree with Tilt.  I think that DLC would have still happened with those, but would have ended up paid DLC for everyone.

But where I agree, there are good 3rd party exclusives and bad 3rd party exclusives.   Bayonetta 2 and Dead Rising 3 appear to fall on the good side, as these are games that would not have existed without funding from the respective console manufacturers as the publisher didn't see pursuing a sequel as worth it.   On the bad side, you have games that were never in danger of not being produced, and a console manufacturer swoops in and pays to cancel development on their competitor's hardware.  Those blow.
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: May 02, 2014, 10:28:21 PM »

Aah, I see.  So when Sony does it that means they are creating opportunity for more content.  When Microsoft does it FUCK YOU capitalist pigs!   Roll Eyes

Please tell me you're not claiming, with a straight face, that Activision wouldn't have been pushing out exactly the same amount of DLC for Call of Duty even if Microsoft hadn't paid for that exclusivity. If that is indeed your claim, then you are dreadfully naive.

But hey, your claim may also be this: That stuff like the extra missions in the Assassin's Creed games would have been included in the main game whether or not one of the console manufacturers paid for it (despite the fact that these bits of content are always painfully detached from and much more slapdash than the rest of the game). Yes, it would have been included in all versions, free of charge to the customer. Oh wait, that doesn't even make a sliver of sense now, does it? The only money the publisher gets for such DLC is the money paid by the console manufacturer. That means they are paying for extra content for their customers, not paying to remove it from the competitor. If that was the case, it would be paid DLC.

Or maybe you have some other claim altogether, because if you ask me, both of the two mentioned above are outright dumb as far as claims go.

So, elaborate!
Jumangi

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 02, 2014, 11:08:42 PM »

The extra mission from Black Flag that let you play as the chick from the Vita game was average. Xbox players didn't miss much.
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: May 02, 2014, 11:14:34 PM »

My only claim is that Sony is paying to have exclusive content.  Microsoft is paying to have timed exclusive content.  Same fucking deal.  

Quote from: TiLT on May 02, 2014, 10:28:21 PM

The only money the publisher gets for such DLC is the money paid by the console manufacturer. That means they are paying for extra content for their customers, not paying to remove it from the competitor. If that was the case, it would be paid DLC.

Those extra missions would have been made for the Sony stuff regardless, it probably would have just been part of a season pass or DLC or whatever, but it would have been available to everybody.  I said nothing about whether that content would have been included for free either way.  Sony is simply paying to remove potential content from their competitors.  They pay money to have content available only on their system, no idea how you can possibly argue otherwise. 

Either way, go ahead and believing whatever you want, but your passive aggressive bullshit is really starting to get old. 

TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: May 03, 2014, 07:28:43 AM »

Quote from: EngineNo9 on May 02, 2014, 11:14:34 PM

My only claim is that Sony is paying to have exclusive content.  Microsoft is paying to have timed exclusive content.  Same fucking deal.

One is paying to remove content, one is paying to add content. While I'm no fan of DLC in general, there's a really, really huge difference between those two concepts.  

Those extra missions would have been made for the Sony stuff regardless, it probably would have just been part of a season pass or DLC or whatever,

Not a chance. Those extra missions don't resemble their season pass content at all. I would ask you to actually go have a look at the collection of DLC for those games. You'll quickly find that the DLC that isn't exclusive is:

A) Considerably better.
B) Considerably longer.

The money the console manufacturers pay doesn't match what the publisher would earn from selling DLC, so the effort they put into making the thing is accordingly low. That's why DLC like (to take Assassin's Creed 4 as an example) Aveline is short, shallow and forgettable, while Freedom Cry is pretty long and relatively well-received, more at the level of an actual expansion than just a single mission.

I can't prove these claims because the people involved in them are under NDA for obvious reasons, and as such us on the outside don't get to see the details for ourselves. However, even you have to admit that what I'm saying has a whole lot more to back it up with than your (clearly faulty since you claim that paying to add content is the exact same thing as paying to remove it) own theory.

Either way, go ahead and believing whatever you want, but your passive aggressive bullshit is really starting to get old.

Allow me to quote your previous post in this thread:

Pot, meet fucking kettle.
ATB

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 04, 2014, 08:27:20 PM »

If MS is paying big dollars for 1 month of exclusivity, they're idiots.

What fools care enough about a 1 month wait to buy an entire platform?
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: May 04, 2014, 08:36:13 PM »

Quote from: ATB on May 04, 2014, 08:27:20 PM

While it's hard to measure these things, it appears to have worked very well for them in the previous generation. Call of Duty is largely attributed to the success of the Xbox 360.
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 05, 2014, 12:18:56 AM »

Quote from: ATB on May 04, 2014, 08:27:20 PM

there are a LOT of fools out there
Soulchilde

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 11, 2014, 05:56:48 PM »

Day Zero Edition  will get you the game one day early withlDouble XP and two exclusive weapons.   These will be offered in limited supply and once they're gone they are gone

NiM$
forgeforsaken

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 11, 2014, 06:04:55 PM »

Multiplayer trailer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bj3-RsyJKfA
ATB

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 11, 2014, 06:49:00 PM »

Looks like they put halo in my COD.

And melee continues to look like a problem.

Not sold.
gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 11, 2014, 08:23:59 PM »

Man they ripped off so much shit... but I'm buying that.
Zinfan

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: August 12, 2014, 01:53:15 AM »

I'm too old for this shit!  I want Call of Duty Simple Warfare without all the techno gizmos everywhere.  I would love to see what a WW2, Korea or Vietnam era setting would look like on the new consoles.  Did like the incoming tide bit though.
Punisher

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 12, 2014, 05:50:36 PM »

Quote from: Zinfan on August 12, 2014, 01:53:15 AM

I'm too old for this shit!  I want Call of Duty Simple Warfare without all the techno gizmos everywhere.  I would love to see what a WW2, Korea or Vietnam era setting would look like on the new consoles.  Did like the incoming tide bit though.
Call of Duty: Original Warfare. Everyone gets a stick for melee and a rock for ranged.
Roman

XboxLive: RomyBolognaPony

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 12, 2014, 06:10:48 PM »

Quote from: Punisher on August 12, 2014, 05:50:36 PM

Quote from: Zinfan on August 12, 2014, 01:53:15 AM

Call of Duty: Original Warfare. Everyone gets a stick for melee and a rock for ranged.

just make sure that the stick for melee doesn't include the 'warp animation' in current COD titles.

Regardless I still won't buy.

Xbox Live Gamertag: RomyBolognaPony
ATB

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 12, 2014, 06:28:54 PM »

This thing is frigging hawt

Awesome AW XB1
ATB

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 12, 2014, 06:29:14 PM »

Quote from: Roman on August 12, 2014, 06:10:48 PM

Regardless I still won't buy.

You done DONE with COD, Romy?
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 12, 2014, 07:00:38 PM »

They start off with a chain of somethign like 6 one shot kills, which shows they don't understand what I want in a shooter slywink
Roman

XboxLive: RomyBolognaPony

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 12, 2014, 07:14:17 PM »

Yup.

Its a young man's game now. I'm tired of succumbing to hit detection, lag etc etc. Sure I said the same thing last time but this time I mean it.
The honeymoon period wears off too fast and suddenly and then I find myself remorseful for thinking that it'd be any different this time around.

The most fun I had was when playing as a group - lots of laughs but the heartache ain't a big enough trade-off IMHO.

Xbox Live Gamertag: RomyBolognaPony
Harpua3

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 17, 2014, 07:09:13 AM »

I said I won't buy it. Then winter sets in and Ill find myself wanting more to do indoors. Then I will regret the purchase. Ghosts I hardly even touched!
forgeforsaken

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 17, 2014, 05:25:03 PM »

Quote from: Harpua3 on August 17, 2014, 07:09:13 AM

I said I won't buy it. Then winter sets in and Ill find myself wanting more to do indoors. Then I will regret the purchase. Ghosts I hardly even touched!

There's gonna be plenty of other games this fall, Assassins Creed, Far Cry, Dragon Age, Shadow of Mordor, Lords of the Fallen, The Evil Within, etc.
ATB

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: September 23, 2014, 04:36:55 PM »

Updated the delivery date on the controller to 2nd week of october.

Now I just need to decide if I still want it. I think it looks pretty hawt.  Or should I wait for the eventual Gears of War 4 controller in 2017?

Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: