http://gamingtrend.com
October 23, 2014, 06:46:12 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Call of Duty 4 Impressions  (Read 21207 times)
Ridah
Senior Staff Writer
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« Reply #360 on: December 27, 2007, 11:42:38 PM »

I never looked at the invisible triggers as being stupid, rather that once you took down the initial resistance you moved forward and the area was considered clear. I don't understand, why do you want the enemies to stop coming? Is there something you are trying to achieve by staying in any particular area? I think it would be stupid if you killed X amount of enemies in the area and they simply stopped coming, that wouldn't make any sense.

Sean Lama
Senior Staff Editor, GamingTrend
Caine

My cocaine

View Profile WWW
« Reply #361 on: December 28, 2007, 12:03:15 AM »

Quote from: ATB on December 27, 2007, 02:57:20 PM

Oh and I know the part that was hardest for me in regular: the TV station. Is going to make me smash my 360 to bits on veteran.

no, no.  that comes when you attempt the epilogue.  if there's anything left after the search & destroy mission, the end of one shot, one kill, heat, no fighting in the war room, etc. slywink

i think i put more time into a veteran playthrough than i really wanted to.  once i got to the point where it takes an hour to go 1/2 way through a level, and i'm pissed off the whole time, it's time to move on.  i've got a ton of other games to play and if i'm not having fun then it's on to something which is.

ATB

Thanks for everything, Ryan. 1979-2013

View Profile
« Reply #362 on: December 28, 2007, 04:16:59 PM »

Quote from: Ridah on December 27, 2007, 11:42:38 PM

I never looked at the invisible triggers as being stupid, rather that once you took down the initial resistance you moved forward and the area was considered clear. I don't understand, why do you want the enemies to stop coming? Is there something you are trying to achieve by staying in any particular area? I think it would be stupid if you killed X amount of enemies in the area and they simply stopped coming, that wouldn't make any sense.

Well, I'm not a big sniper in any game, but there are times when one should hang back and snipe. You do that in a COD game and even if you have an ammunition truck direct feeding into your rifle, you'll never make any progress.

Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #363 on: December 28, 2007, 04:27:44 PM »

Quote from: ATB on December 28, 2007, 04:16:59 PM

Well, I'm not a big sniper in any game, but there are times when one should hang back and snipe. You do that in a COD game and even if you have an ammunition truck direct feeding into your rifle, you'll never make any progress.

Exactly. Which is lazy, bad, and counter-intuitive level design in a "realistic" shooter.
denoginizer

View Profile
« Reply #364 on: December 28, 2007, 05:39:18 PM »

Quote from: Calvin on December 28, 2007, 04:27:44 PM

Quote from: ATB on December 28, 2007, 04:16:59 PM

Exactly. Which is lazy, bad, and counter-intuitive level design in a "realistic" shooter.

I think it's OK as long as you go in knowing what you will be getting.  The encounters will always play out in the same perfectly choreographed way.  That's great for a one time experience. 

This would never work for a game like Halo 3, which as a one time play through pales in comparison to CoD4.  But with co-op, campaign scoring, and improved AI on higher levels, Halo 3 actually encourages replaying each mission multiple times.  A third play through of Halo 3 can still be fresh and challenging.  I third play through of CoD4 will be a carbon copy of the first time. 

Different games.  But both great IMHO.

Xbox Live Tag: denoginizer
PSN Name: denoginizer
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #365 on: December 28, 2007, 06:08:10 PM »

It's not just that the encounters are scripted, it's that they are made to keep throwing enemies at you until you pass a certain line.  If I want to stay in the doorway and pick off enemies as they come at me I should not face more of them than if I go in gunning like Rambo.  It's counter-intuitive to how a squad like that would approach the situation in my mind.  There should always be a certain number enemies in a given room/building/whatever no matter how I approach it. 

Sandwiches do fix everything.
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #366 on: December 28, 2007, 10:47:03 PM »

single player is nothing but a destraction from the main event...online

i enjoyed the single player part,but truth be told,it wasn't the reason i bought the game

Manchester United Premier League Champions 2013!!

Xbox LIVE:Metallicorphan
Wii:8565 1513 0206 1960
PSN:Metallicorphan
ATB

View Profile
« Reply #367 on: December 29, 2007, 08:23:55 PM »

Quote from: metallicorphan on December 28, 2007, 10:47:03 PM

i enjoyed the single player part,but truth be told,it wasn't the reason i bought the game

Nor me...But given IW's ability to program, you think they'd do away with it by the 4th installment of the game whether they worked on all four or not...
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #368 on: December 29, 2007, 08:35:59 PM »

Quote from: ATB on December 29, 2007, 08:23:55 PM

Nor me...But given IW's ability to program, you think they'd do away with it by the 4th installment of the game whether they worked on all four or not...

thats just it...the single player has become the bonus...it used to be the other way round,but now that online gaming has really taken off thanks to the PC and XBL..the single player has taken more of a back seat...BUT there are always those who dont play games online...and also,online only games (shadowrun for example)are always frowned upon when the buyer thinks that if the game has no single player then it should be cheaper

Manchester United Premier League Champions 2013!!

Xbox LIVE:Metallicorphan
Wii:8565 1513 0206 1960
PSN:Metallicorphan
mikeg

View Profile WWW
« Reply #369 on: December 29, 2007, 11:49:30 PM »

Quote from: metallicorphan on December 29, 2007, 08:35:59 PM

Quote from: ATB on December 29, 2007, 08:23:55 PM

thats just it...the single player has become the bonus...it used to be the other way round,but now that online gaming has really taken off thanks to the PC and XBL..the single player has taken more of a back seat...BUT there are always those who dont play games online...and also,online only games (shadowrun for example)are always frowned upon when the buyer thinks that if the game has no single player then it should be cheaper

Though I am pretty much a single-only player, I agree with your assessment entirely.

I am Xboxalot on Live.
Jarrodhk

View Profile
« Reply #370 on: December 30, 2007, 06:33:42 AM »

Shadowrun's problem had more to do with the fact that it was a full price multiplayer only game, and it only had 6 maps.  (and no climbing animation)

It is a pretty fun game, but lack of variety in arenas and obvious lack of effort killed it before it got too far for a lot of people that I have talked with about it.

Of course the fact that it had pretty much nothing to do with the license they used for it didn't help either.

Pikachu, I Blame you!
Interloper

View Profile
« Reply #371 on: January 15, 2008, 09:52:09 PM »

So I picked this one up today.  First impressions:  WTF is my ingame volume control?!  They left it out of CoD2 also, but I thought they'd have figured out how to program one in by now.  Come on, some of us use headphones.  Give us a volume control dammit!  /deaf

ATB

View Profile
« Reply #372 on: January 15, 2008, 09:57:11 PM »

Quote from: Interloper on January 15, 2008, 09:52:09 PM

So I picked this one up today.  First impressions:  WTF is my ingame volume control?!  They left it out of CoD2 also, but I thought they'd have figured out how to program one in by now.  Come on, some of us use headphones.  Give us a volume control dammit!  /deaf

Turn down the TV?

Isn't there a volume control on the 360 too?
Interloper

View Profile
« Reply #373 on: January 15, 2008, 10:04:01 PM »

I use a computer vga monitor, so the audio cable go straight to an adapter for the headphones, thus no volume control unless the game has one itself.  If there's a volume control on the 360 itself, I've yet to find it . I'll go look again and see if I somehow missed it.  CoD games are the only one's I've come across with no volume control.  I always like to tweak the music vs sound effects volumes anyway.  Grr.

Edit:  Wierd!  During the tutorial, it wouldn't give me an option for volume.  BUT - once on the first mission, voila', there's a volume control.  All is well with the world again.  Thanks infinity ward!  (now just patch one into cod2 please!).
« Last Edit: January 15, 2008, 10:09:19 PM by Interloper » Logged

olaf

View Profile
« Reply #374 on: January 16, 2008, 03:58:03 PM »

Infinite spawn is frustrating and stupid, especially when certain parts of the game have timers.  It feels like a puzzle game to me in a lot places.  You get killed, see what killed you, fix it and move on.  Thats shit and not fun.
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #375 on: January 17, 2008, 05:25:14 AM »

Quote from: olaf on January 16, 2008, 03:58:03 PM

Infinite spawn is frustrating and stupid, especially when certain parts of the game have timers.  It feels like a puzzle game to me in a lot places.  You get killed, see what killed you, fix it and move on.  Thats shit and not fun.

My feelings exactly.

Sandwiches do fix everything.
pr0ner

Go Flames go!

View Profile
« Reply #376 on: January 17, 2008, 05:59:49 AM »

I beat the single player on Veteran last night.

Splendid story.  Splendid game.  Frustrating, though, on Veteran.  But I did feel a massive sense of accomplishment once I beat it.

XBox Live Gamertag: Pr0ner
Jarrodhk

View Profile
« Reply #377 on: January 17, 2008, 10:05:55 AM »

I've beaten everything except for No Fighting in the War Room on veteran, that I've beaten on Hardened.

I may eventually get around to trying to finish it all on Veteran.  Maybe.

Pikachu, I Blame you!
WalkingFumble

View Profile
« Reply #378 on: January 17, 2008, 03:48:39 PM »

Quote from: pr0ner on January 17, 2008, 05:59:49 AM

Splendid story.  Splendid game.  Frustrating, though, on Veteran.  But I did feel a massive sense of accomplishment once I beat it.

now beat the airplane mission on veteran.  and go back and beat Call of Duty 2 on veteran.  its just as hard or harder.

XBL: I3L00DFUMBLE  -  132,578     |     PSN: WalkingFumble     |     Nintendo Revolution:  1440 9434 2198 4442
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #379 on: January 17, 2008, 03:49:29 PM »

Quote from: WalkingFumble on January 17, 2008, 03:48:39 PM

now beat the airplane mission on veteran.  and go back and beat Call of Duty 2 on veteran.  its just as hard or harder.

Call of Duty 2 is harder, but more fair.
Interloper

View Profile
« Reply #380 on: January 17, 2008, 04:57:44 PM »

I'm also playing on veteran on my first playthrough.  I like my fps's to be very hard, it keeps it more tense and realistic in my mind like I think war would be.  CoD2 was very hard on veteran.  Harder than CoD4 even, at least from my experience.  The only problem with CoD4 on veteran is the ridiculous inability to avoid getting 'nade spammed.  Very frustrating at times. 

Anyway, awesome game so far.  Love the gunship level.  They need to release an expansion or a game based on that level.  So fun!  I love the sniper level as well.  Good stuff.

ATB

View Profile
« Reply #381 on: January 17, 2008, 07:57:58 PM »

There's got to be a way to make a game harder without making the AI omnicsient.

Increase the bullet damage, increase the number of bad guys, but don't make it so that they seem to track you and only you...You have a whole squad, why the need to make the focal point of every encounter the d00d you're playing?

I am playing it through again (this time on veteran (and when Live is down)) and I'm enjoying it, but there's got to be a better way. retard
pr0ner

Go Flames go!

View Profile
« Reply #382 on: January 17, 2008, 08:51:34 PM »

No way I'm beating that airplane mission.  Fuck that.

And you know I've never played Call of Duty 2.

XBox Live Gamertag: Pr0ner
WalkingFumble

View Profile
« Reply #383 on: January 17, 2008, 08:53:52 PM »

Quote from: pr0ner on January 17, 2008, 08:51:34 PM

No way I'm beating that airplane mission.  Fuck that.

And you know I've never played Call of Duty 2.

then add it to your backlog...ya know...bioshock, assasin's creed, gears on insane

XBL: I3L00DFUMBLE  -  132,578     |     PSN: WalkingFumble     |     Nintendo Revolution:  1440 9434 2198 4442
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #384 on: January 18, 2008, 02:01:20 PM »

Quote from: ATB on January 17, 2008, 07:57:58 PM

Increase the bullet damage, increase the number of bad guys, but don't make it so that they seem to track you and only you...You have a whole squad, why the need to make the focal point of every encounter the d00d you're playing?

It's because the enemies know that you're the only hope that your side has. If you go down, there's nobody else who could possibly do all the crazy stuff that you do.  icon_twisted

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
papasmurff

View Profile
« Reply #385 on: January 18, 2008, 02:40:53 PM »

Quote from: Destructor on January 18, 2008, 02:01:20 PM

It's because the enemies know that you're the only hope that your side has. If you go down, there's nobody else who could possibly do all the crazy stuff that you do.  icon_twisted

Hahaha yeah.....I am still waiting for another game to implement what RS:V did with assigning targets to your team mates....so that they actually will shoot targets.

Gaming Tag: papa smurff 4
ATB

View Profile
« Reply #386 on: January 18, 2008, 03:23:07 PM »

Quote from: Destructor on January 18, 2008, 02:01:20 PM

I guess since you can't see your avatar there's no way to confirm it but the guys we play must be dressed as a superhero then to stand out so!
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #387 on: January 18, 2008, 03:45:27 PM »

Quote from: papasmurff on January 18, 2008, 02:40:53 PM

Hahaha yeah.....I am still waiting for another game to implement what RS:V did with assigning targets to your team mates....so that they actually will shoot targets.

bah, teammates are good for only one thing - bullet shields.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Jumangi

View Profile
« Reply #388 on: January 22, 2008, 09:33:46 AM »

Major Nelson's blog has this week's Live activity list and CoD 4 has topped Halo 3. I think thats the first time its happened.
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #389 on: January 22, 2008, 01:27:13 PM »

Quote from: Jumangi on January 22, 2008, 09:33:46 AM

Major Nelson's blog has this week's Live activity list and CoD 4 has topped Halo 3. I think thats the first time its happened.

Didn't I predict this was going to happen in early 08? I am 99% sure I did. I think COD4 has a good chance of staying up there. The game is a certified blockbuster, and frankly, the MP is just better.
ATB

View Profile
« Reply #390 on: January 22, 2008, 01:44:41 PM »

Quote from: Calvin on January 22, 2008, 01:27:13 PM

Didn't I predict this was going to happen in early 08? I am 99% sure I did. I think COD4 has a good chance of staying up there. The game is a certified blockbuster, and frankly, the MP is just better.

And I hope they realize it and don't implement the Halo ranking system. It's fun for a while, but when you cap out it becomes nothing but frustrating.
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #391 on: January 22, 2008, 01:55:57 PM »

Quote from: ATB on January 22, 2008, 01:44:41 PM

Quote from: Calvin on January 22, 2008, 01:27:13 PM

And I hope they realize it and don't implement the Halo ranking system. It's fun for a while, but when you cap out it becomes nothing but frustrating.

What ranking system are you talking about, are you talking about the TrueSkill rank that stops at 50?  If so then you're making the same mistake many people did and that's trying to 'cap it out'.  It's a number to show how good you are at the game, and it's all relative, not absolute.  Given a perfect world where every one always played at their best you'd have players ranked between 1-50 and the 50 would always win over a 49.  I think the system itself is great, but people can't stand the thought that they may never get to 50 and started bitching, while people that got to 50 in a couple weeks bitched that they were done.  They weren't done, they need to keep playing so the game gets a high enough statistical average to determine their real rank.  The confusion is the only reason I'm glad it's not in COD4.  I wish it was in to avoid some of the mismatches though, since COD4 rank is only a value of how much you play and even the worst player even can eventually be 55 prestige 10.
Jarrodhk

View Profile
« Reply #392 on: January 22, 2008, 02:59:41 PM »

From what I have read, the trueskill (or something similar) Is in COD4, it just isn't displayed.

Pikachu, I Blame you!
ATB

View Profile
« Reply #393 on: January 22, 2008, 03:18:08 PM »

Quote from: Harkonis on January 22, 2008, 01:55:57 PM

What ranking system are you talking about, are you talking about the TrueSkill rank that stops at 50?  If so then you're making the same mistake many people did and that's trying to 'cap it out'. 

I understand that. But what I found frustrating is that of all Halo3 people in the world I rank a 30 and that's fine.

The problem is that I'm just a 30 and the game (before I stopped playing it for COD4) would, as expected, rank me against 36 ranked players and 40 ranked player and I would. get. murdered. consistently.  So If the game somehow did infact 'balance it' so that I was playing with 28-32 ranked players that'd be one thing.  But as soon as I hit 30, my kills dropped like a stone and my deaths increased significantly.

I guess it doesn't really matter but I'm a K/D nut (and it's Halo's fault) so watching my numbers drop got very frustrating.
jblank

Always Outnumbered, Never Outgunned

View Profile WWW
« Reply #394 on: January 22, 2008, 03:29:36 PM »

Someone here owes me money then, because I am pretty sure I made a cash bet that this would happen.

XBOX 350 Gamertag = Phobos of Mars
PSN Gamertag = PhobosofMars
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #395 on: January 22, 2008, 03:34:41 PM »

Good for COD4.  I enjoyed playing some Halo3 MP when it first came out, but as others have stated, COD4 is just plain better.

I wonder if COD4's success will make Acitivision think twice about the Treyarch shovelware COD5?
jblank

Always Outnumbered, Never Outgunned

View Profile WWW
« Reply #396 on: January 22, 2008, 03:48:23 PM »

Quote from: leo8877 on January 22, 2008, 03:34:41 PM

Good for COD4.  I enjoyed playing some Halo3 MP when it first came out, but as others have stated, COD4 is just plain better.

I wonder if COD4's success will make Acitivision think twice about the Treyarch shovelware COD5?

Pretty sure it's too late to change. I think it's a done deal for Treyarch to do COD5.

XBOX 350 Gamertag = Phobos of Mars
PSN Gamertag = PhobosofMars
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #397 on: January 22, 2008, 03:56:06 PM »

Since they're trying to make it a yearly series and probably want a October/November release I'd say no, plus I think CoD3 did fairly well.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Jarrodhk

View Profile
« Reply #398 on: January 22, 2008, 04:52:46 PM »

COD 3 was decent online... when you could actually connect to a game.  It took them a couple of months from what I recall to correct that problem.  By that time I was playing something else.

Pikachu, I Blame you!
denoginizer

View Profile
« Reply #399 on: January 22, 2008, 09:11:40 PM »

CoD3 wasn't a great game.  But it certainly wasn't shovelware.

I think Treyarch can make a good multiplayer game.  CoD3 single player wasn't terrible, just boring as hell.

Xbox Live Tag: denoginizer
PSN Name: denoginizer
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: