http://gamingtrend.com
August 23, 2014, 08:14:38 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 12   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Call of Duty 4 Impressions  (Read 21053 times)
KePoW
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« Reply #120 on: November 08, 2007, 11:13:10 PM »

Quote from: PeteRock on November 08, 2007, 10:56:52 PM

Quote from: Harkonis on November 08, 2007, 10:51:27 PM

Besides the wonky lobby mechanics where it sometimes drops people, my biggest multiplayer complaint is the lack of any sort of trueskill matching system.

Does that mean that there is more of an opportunity to be placed up against ridiculous l33t players than in games like Gears or R6 with a skill ranking system?

theoretically, yeah.  but in reality, I haven't had too many games where you are going against all super elite players.  it's certainly not like it happens all the time
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #121 on: November 08, 2007, 11:16:55 PM »

Quote from: PeteRock on November 08, 2007, 10:56:52 PM

Quote from: Harkonis on November 08, 2007, 10:51:27 PM

Besides the wonky lobby mechanics where it sometimes drops people, my biggest multiplayer complaint is the lack of any sort of trueskill matching system.

Does that mean that there is more of an opportunity to be placed up against ridiculous l33t players than in games like Gears or R6 with a skill ranking system?

R6 didn't have a skill ranking system.  It also had a time based play-more and you earn rank system similar to this one. 
Thin_J

View Profile
« Reply #122 on: November 08, 2007, 11:29:06 PM »

I haven't had much of a problem ending up in games with crazy people either. I've encountered a couple of people at 55, one of whom owned our entire team over and over again for about ten minutes with an automatic shotgun and another that was experimenting with the .50 cal Sniper rifle.

Both were good guys though and weren't of the "wow u guyz r t3h suck lawlz" variety that you sometimes encounter. I've had a few games with those people, but there's also been a few with people wishing the other team good luck before the start and that kind of thing.

It's just like any other live game. Yes there's a large population of assholes, but there's some cool people in there too.

And just because someone is ranked over 40 doesn't mean they're actually any good. We had one game against a bunch of guys last night that were in the 30's and 40's and all had clan tags loaded with x's and l337 speak and we figured we were going to get destroyed. We then proceeded to win a domination match with almost double their score and some of us, on occasion anyway, waiting our turn to call in a helicopter.

Xbox Live: Thin J
PSN: Thin_J
KePoW

View Profile
« Reply #123 on: November 08, 2007, 11:33:55 PM »

Quote from: Thin_J on November 08, 2007, 11:29:06 PM

And just because someone is ranked over 40 doesn't mean they're actually any good. We had one game against a bunch of guys last night that were in the 30's and 40's and all had clan tags loaded with x's and l337 speak and we figured we were going to get destroyed. We then proceeded to win a domination match with almost double their score and some of us, on occasion anyway, waiting our turn to call in a helicopter.

yeah exactly, this it totally true.  Rank doesn't mean anything in the game really, as far as skill-wise
Caine

My cocaine

View Profile
« Reply #124 on: November 08, 2007, 11:56:32 PM »

we had a moment like that one.  every one on the opp team had a clan tag and a lot of 30+ players.  domination on bog ended with us 200-~100  that was fun.  we had them ducking the entire game.

"It's like chess with big guns against aliens. Which isn't like chess at all when I think about it." - Jake Solomon
Jarrodhk

View Profile
« Reply #125 on: November 09, 2007, 12:37:14 AM »

There's a huge difference between having 3-5 (or more) of the GT'rs/etc in a match and when it is just a couple.  Lose a lot more without good backup.

Pikachu, I Blame you!
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #126 on: November 09, 2007, 01:08:11 AM »

I played a bit of Team Hardcore today with Kato and Fuzz and it was a lot more fun than I expected.  You have no on-screen indicators of any type and almost any damage takes you down and you don't heal.  Was brutal but much fun.  Even a single shot of the silenced sidearm was taking people down.
USMC Kato

I have a bad feeling about this....

View Profile
« Reply #127 on: November 09, 2007, 01:14:09 AM »

Quote from: Harkonis on November 09, 2007, 01:08:11 AM

I played a bit of Team Hardcore today with Kato and Fuzz and it was a lot more fun than I expected.  You have no on-screen indicators of any type and almost any damage takes you down and you don't heal.  Was brutal but much fun.  Even a single shot of the silenced sidearm was taking people down.
]

Sorry for dropping out suddenly, my xbox rebooted!?  retard

Anyways, see you later tonight

Semper Fidelis

Gamertag: USMC Kato
PSN ID: USMC_Kato
Gamecenter ID: USMC Kato
Wii U Nintendo ID: USMC_Kato
PeteRock

Fabulous is a state of being. For me, anyways.

View Profile
« Reply #128 on: November 09, 2007, 04:37:02 PM »

Many have been praising this game, and I've been so caught up in the buzz that I've been practically stalking our mail delivery person up until Kato's extra copy of COD4 was finally delivered to my office, anxiously anticipating my opportunity to play.  And I agreed with every positive comment made about the game the moment I started the SP campaign.  And then I played MP.   :x

Over at OO someone commented about the MP exprience and I used their comments as a starting off point to explain my own issues:

I found it easy to get into and do pretty well in multiplayer.  There's a snap to target mechanic with the sights and the left trigger that takes quite a bit of the frustration out of targeting with a thumbstick....you get your crosshair close and pull the left trigger to look down the sights and it moves the rifle quickly and qutomatically onto center target...  It does this while your moving the rifle up into position to look down the sight and feels very good and immersive and it totally helps a guy like me who isn't a pro at aiming with a thumbstick to do pretty dang well in multipalyer...

I actually had the complete opposite experience.  I tried to use the snap to target mechanic, and I don't know if I was always too far away from an enemy, but it didn't happen anytime I used the left trigger.  Ever.  I don't know if it is weapon-specific, but it didn't happen for me with the M-16 (I was pretty excited about it when I learned about it in the SP training mission, but then in MP it didn't happen at all).  I also did not find it easy to do pretty well in MP.  I can hold my own in most shooters, especially Halo and Gears of War, but when I played in my first COD4 MP game I felt like I instantaneously developed down syndrome.  I couldn't tell friendlies from enemies, I couldn't even find enemies, and when I did and started firing I'd be killed from across the board by a sniper I couldn't even see.  For having such amazing graphics, I find the HUD to be cluttered and confusing, and I have a ton of trouble seeing people on-screen.  In Halo I can see who I'm supposed to be firing at, I can determine friends from enemies, and I even can tell where I was killed from or why.  In COD4 I could barely make out enemies until they were right on top of me, and 99% of the time I was not killed by the person I was looking at, but some sniper I never even knew was there.  Step out from behind cover, die from sniper shot.  Lather, rinse, repeat.

Also, I always felt like I was struggling to find enemies, but I felt like I was at least doing an okay job hiding in cover, moving around slowly, and being careful about making my way through the map, trying not to Rambo myself to a quick death.  And yet I would still die before even knowing what the hell was going on.  When I'd see the replay from the person who killed me I looked like a drunkard accidentally stumbling into a war zone when I was instead just looking for the wrist-band booth so that I could gain access to the Octoberfest pavilion.  It was humiliating.   

I also found the first weapons available to new players to be awful.  The gun sights, while realistic, are difficult to use, firing from the hip doesn't work very well, and they seem to have very little stopping power.  In R6 you fired at the targeting reticle and you can use the gun sight for better accuracy.  But, you could fire from the main FPS view without needing the scope at all times.  I found myself in a number of gun fights and was always killed by a better weapon, never having much of a chance.  I also did not enjoy playing with more experienced players because they were playing with much  better weapons with better scopes, more stopping power, and I felt like I was skipping through the flowers with my pop gun and Thundercats lunch box on my way to play "cowboys and indians" with my friends and found that they were using real weapons against my cork on a string. 

Needless to say, my initial impressions of MP were that it was the worst MP experience I have had to date.  Even though the game has some amazing features, I think some playability was sacrificed for realism.  After all, this is still a video game, and even though realism is necessary for a game like this, it still needs to be fun to play and playable, and so far it was not at all fun to play and didn't feel playable in the least.  Plus, most shooters are easy enough for me to pick up and play.  Not so with COD4.  It was like learning to play all over again from scratch.  Years of FPS experience seems to be flushed right down the toilet.  I felt like a 4-year-old with an alcohol problem that had lost his thumbs in a tragic sweatshop paper mill accident.

Last night I turned off the game out of pure frustration and had no desire to even go back into the SP campaign.  Perhaps part of it is due to a very long week full of stress and long hours at the office, but after being so excited to play COD4, all it did last night was ruin my evening.  I even woke up pissed off this morning because I had such an awful time playing last night.

I just hope that with time and practice the game will become more accessible for me.  Plus, I think once I unlock new weapon types and the ability to customize my perks it will open an entirely new aspect of gameplay for me.  The current weapons available to me are difficult to use (at least in my opinion), I don't yet understand what kind of player I should be (what kind of class would fit my play style - i.e. dying a lot), and I had about as much fun playing as I did having Harkonis hang out by our spawn point in R6 with a sniper rifle picking us off like metal ducks at a carnival.

And in the same breath I see so much potential in this game.  Now that I've calmed down I really want to try it again, but I need to play in a private party with lesser experienced players if I'm going to have a chance to learn how to play the game.  The matches last night just felt too unfair with most players being of higher level and playing with more advanced weapons while I ran around with the aforementioned pop gun.  Unfortunately, I have to continue to be frustrated by ranked matches in order to unlock some of the game's MP features.  I'd like to think that with practice and playing a bit more (and figuring out what the jumbled mess of icons on my HUD mean) I'll eventually improve.  And because of the game's potential I'd like to keep playing.  But if I continue to have expriences like last night I fear I will disappoint Kato and take away from his good gesture by wanting to seek counseling for anger management issues caused by an inability to play a damn videogame.

I want to keep playing and be part of the OO/GT MP craze.  But last night was not fun.  At all.

For the first time I think I actually need help from the better players.  Many of you have played with me and know that I am able to hold my own in shooters, and yet last night I felt like I didn't belong playing COD4 or any other videogames for that matter.  I want to play and I really think that I'll enjoy this game if I give it a chance, but last night was awful.

Help me GamingTrend Kenobi.  You're my only hope.     

Beauty is only skin deep.  Which is why I take very good care of my skin.
jament
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #129 on: November 09, 2007, 04:45:44 PM »

Dude.  Punt.  Forget about it.

Seriously.  The best advice I can come up with is - send that game over to me and I'll dispose of it for you.

It's the only way to be sure.
KePoW

View Profile
« Reply #130 on: November 09, 2007, 05:01:02 PM »

hey Pete!

not going to go through your post point by point right now, but just some general advice.  I could definitely tell you were really frustrated last night

I think contrary to what I said before, you should probably play the SP campaign first.  you will get a much better FEEL for the game and weapons that way.  plus, the campaign isn't that long anyway of course

as far as some general MP responses to some of your points...first of all, about the HUD.  the MP HUD really isn't that complicated.  the important thing you need to know is that red dots (enemies) do NOT show up by default on the HUD.  they only appear when they are firing/have fired their weapons.  however, anytime you hear the announcer say "our UAV is online!", that means that your team has radar for 30 seconds and any enemies will show up as red dots on your HUD no matter what (excluding a certain Perk, but you don't really need to know that atm)

as far as the default weapon...yeah the M16 assault rifle is really not noob-friendly, because it is not a fully automatic gun.  once you unlock the AK however, that is fully auto and does more damage per bullet.  for the sights, yes you have to unlock those as well, but iron sights really isn't all that bad itself once you get used to the game.  at Rank 4 (I think you logged off as Rank 3 last night) is when things become a *lot* more interesting because you can Create a Class.  that is where you can fully customize 5 complete different loadouts...it's pretty self-explanatory when you see it

anyway, just some quick thoughts, ask any other specific questions you have
PeteRock

View Profile
« Reply #131 on: November 09, 2007, 05:18:05 PM »

Quote from: KePoW on November 09, 2007, 05:01:02 PM

hey Pete!

not going to go through your post point by point right now, but just some general advice.  I could definitely tell you were really frustrated last night

Was I that transparent?   icon_wink

And I don't want you guys to think that I was frustrated with any of you.  I was just frustrated with my inability to play the game.  The reason why you didn't hear me participating in conversations in-game is because I had my mic turned off.  And there was a good reason for that.   ninja

I think contrary to what I said before, you should probably play the SP campaign first.  you will get a much better FEEL for the game and weapons that way.  plus, the campaign isn't that long anyway of course

Have previous COD titles played like this one?  If so, I've never played a COD game before, and COD4 certainly played much different than any other shooter I've played before.  I was lost.

as far as some general MP responses to some of your points...first of all, about the HUD.  the MP HUD really isn't that complicated.  the important thing you need to know is that red dots (enemies) do NOT show up by default on the HUD.  they only appear when they are firing/have fired their weapons.  however, anytime you hear the announcer say "our UAV is online!", that means that your team has radar for 30 seconds and any enemies will show up as red dots on your HUD no matter what (excluding a certain Perk, but you don't really need to know that atm)

By the end of the night I did learn that red dots didn't show up unless enemies were firing or if the UAV was active.  How is the UAV activated, and how the bloody hell do teams call in air strikes and blackhawk flying machines of death?  Problem is, most of the time the red dots were away from me, and as I ran toward them I was killed by other enemies I didn't even know were there.  Those bums won their court case so they were marching yesterday.  What bums?  The fucking sniper party.  Illinois snipers.  I hate Illinois snipers.   

as far as the default weapon...yeah the M16 assault rifle is really not noob-friendly, because it is not a fully automatic gun.  once you unlock the AK however, that is fully auto and does more damage per bullet.  for the sights, yes you have to unlock those as well, but iron sights really isn't all that bad itself once you get used to the game.  at Rank 4 (I think you logged off as Rank 3 last night) is when things become a *lot* more interesting because you can Create a Class.  that is where you can fully customize 5 complete different loadouts...it's pretty self-explanatory when you see it

I felt like whenever I'd try to aim with the sight my firing was a little more steady, but then I lost all ability to see what the hell I was shooting at because my sight was in the way.  And, at least from the hip your reticle turns red.  I didn't see any indicator as to if I was even hitting anything when I was firing with the sight.  Which was sometimes a teammate (sorry about that  ninja).  Plus, why didn't this "snap-to" aiming mechanic work?  It worked for me in the training mission and I've yet to see it in action in-game. 

It was also really hard for me to identify people on-screen.  For such advanced graphics I thought actual human characters were hard to make out on the maps.  Perhaps this is how real warfare works, but if I wanted real I'd join the USMC with Kato.  I felt like COD4 lacked playability.  But I am obviously mistaken because all of you were having no trouble at all, which makes me that much more frustrated.  If I'm a shooter veteran and can hold my own with you guys in every other game, what the hell am I missing? 

I think part of my problem was the lack of weapon choices.  But also an inability to find and kill enemies.  And even when I was just trying to stay alive I couldn't do that all that well either.

anyway, just some quick thoughts, ask any other specific questions you have

I appreciate the tips and hope that others might have some more input to help me learn a bit more about the game.  I want to reiterate that I wasn't upset with any of you.  It certainly wasn't easy jumping into a game with people ranked 10 or above when I was still playing at level 1.  Even if people have information on the basics like what I'm looking at on my HUD and on-screen, since the manual doesn't explain squat.  And I shouldn't have to do an online research project to figure out the basics of the game.

kathode

View Profile
« Reply #132 on: November 09, 2007, 05:21:34 PM »

The left trigger snap-to-target thing is useful but it's not a catch-all.  The issue is that it snaps to the position of the target at the time when you pull the trigger.  It doesn't move your sights with your target, and in fact if you target is in motion, then by the time the gun is actually raised they will already be off center.  So if you're trying to use it with someone running perpendicular to you, it basically won't work.  It works great for targets standing still though.  For everything else, you eventually learn how to track people reasonably well, and scopes help a lot when you unlock them as well.

My general advice -
-Stick to cover objects and remember to crouch.  Going prone is good for snipers.
-Don't feel like you have to constantly be on the move.  A lot of the times it's better to pick a spot and wait for people to come to you.
-Flashbangs can be very helpful so long as you don't use them on yourself.
-Yes the starter gun sucks.  Get a new one as soon as it's available.
-Pay attention to the map when you hear gunshots. HUD is largely unimportant except for the map.

How is the UAV activated, and how the bloody hell do teams call in air strikes and blackhawk flying machines of death?
You get UAV at 3 kills in a row, at 5 you get access to the air strike, and the helicopter is available when you get 7 in a row.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2007, 05:23:52 PM by kathode » Logged
KePoW

View Profile
« Reply #133 on: November 09, 2007, 05:39:03 PM »

Quote from: PeteRock on November 09, 2007, 05:18:05 PM

Have previous COD titles played like this one?  If so, I've never played a COD game before, and COD4 certainly played much different than any other shooter I've played before.  I was lost.

I played 1 and 2, but don't particularly remember any specifics about them since it was a long time ago, other than that they were fantastic games for their respective times.  one thing to note though...all the previous CoDs were all set in WW2, whereas CoD 4 has now made the jump to modern warfare of course.  so that definitely changes things up as far as equipment and tech

By the end of the night I did learn that red dots didn't show up unless enemies were firing or if the UAV was active.  How is the UAV activated, and how the bloody hell do teams call in air strikes and blackhawk flying machines of death?  Problem is, most of the time the red dots were away from me, and as I ran toward them I was killed by other enemies I didn't even know were there

good question about activations.  for UAV, Air Strikes, and Helicopter...you have to get either 3, 5, or 7 kills in a row without dying to obtain each specific thing.  once you do, the announcer will say something obvious so you know, then you push Right on the D-pad to activate it for your team

I felt like whenever I'd try to aim with the sight my firing was a little more steady, but then I lost all ability to see what the hell I was shooting at because my sight was in the way.  And, at least from the hip your reticle turns red.  I didn't see any indicator as to if I was even hitting anything when I was firing with the sight.  Which was sometimes a teammate (sorry about that  ninja).  Plus, why didn't this "snap-to" aiming mechanic work?  It worked for me in the training mission and I've yet to see it in action in-game. 

I actually totally agree with you on the perspective point...each weapon is different and unique in its own way, so once you can Create a Class, you'll be able to test and find which ones you like.  for example, I hate the M4 by default with iron-sights because it's a very narrow circular sight that blocks the shit out of your peripheral vision.  but I like the AK a lot because it has a horizontal-type iron-sight.  once you unlock Red-Dot Sights however, it's a lot better for all weapons

for hit-indication, this is a tip you definitely need to know that might not be apparent.  when you are hitting/damaging an enemy, your crosshair will turn into an 'X' looking shape.  also I think there is a small medical-looking icon floating around the middle of the screen too, but it's easiest to just watch your crosshair since that's where you're shooting and looking at anyway.  there is no Friendly Fire by default so don't worry about that lol

as far as the snap-to...do NOT rely on this in MP, it does not work the same way as having Auto Aim on in SP.  I'm not sure what that other guy on OO was talking about.  in MP, you still have a little bit of slow dragging auto-assist just like in Halo, but not the snap-to thing you're talking about in SP

keep the questions coming
Jarrodhk

View Profile
« Reply #134 on: November 09, 2007, 05:41:50 PM »

Pete: 3 things will help your enjoyment a great deal I think.

1) Get 4th level and the create a class ability.  It makes a huge difference when you can customize things a bit more.  Also, you start with the 'Steady Aim' perk, that makes firing from the hip much more accurate.  A SAW or RPD can go a long way towards evening things out when you have steady aim.  3x special grenades and stun grenades can be very helpful as well.  Not sure what's around that corner?  Feel like someone is sneaking up on you?  Throw a stun grenade, if the damage lines pop up around your reticule, pop out and shoot poor sap.

2) Play some non-ranked private matches.  I'm perfectly willing/fine with being a target dummy for you while you get a better idea of how the game feels and target recognition.  SP helps as well.  Seriously, I takes a bit to adjust to tell friend from foe, and in all honesty I STILL don't recognize people in time periodically.  One thing that might help here is that your teammates will always be on your radar display, if you see someone moving and no green arrows around, shoot first.  At least to start shoot first is not a horrible idea anyway, but remember that unless you have a silencer on the weapon you will be visible to enemies at that point, so move to another spot.

Along with this is the fact that the weapons all have a different 'feel' to them. Experimentation is necessary to figure out what works best for you.  I like to try different weapons out, and everytime I do my K/D drops for a few rounds... usually at least until I get the Red Dot Sight (this makes every gun better, except snipers).  Get 25 kills with any weapon to unlock the red dot sight after you hit level 4.

3) Something to remember is that a lot of people were in the beta, so they already have a leg up on all of this, and it can be difficult to remember what we had to go through adjusting to the game, and it does take some adjustment.  Another thing on this is that learning the maps is really really helpful, and private matches will help immensely with this.  Most maps have some favored routes of travel on them, find one, get Kato to cover your flank and rack up some kills.  Actually to add a point mid-point, team work is HUGE in this game.  Talk, coordinate, even with just one or two other people and watch the soloer's drop like flies.

The different game modes also play out a bit differently.  Domination can actually be a really good mode for someone new to the game because it focuses a large portion of the enemy into a few predictable routes.

Don't take dying a lot to heart, it happens to all of us, Harkonis can go 36-2 in one match, and the very next round go 5-20.  Same with everyone else. With all the other modes that IW put in the game, it really is a shame that there isn't a training mode like Halo 3 has.

I'm not sure if the snap-to functionality is actually in the MP... I've never noticed it working there at any rate.

All in all Pete, having played numerous shooters with/against you, I have no doubt you'll get the hang of this quickly and start hanging out at the top of the scoreboards.

Pikachu, I Blame you!
PeteRock

View Profile
« Reply #135 on: November 09, 2007, 07:16:08 PM »

Quote from: kathode on November 09, 2007, 05:21:34 PM

The left trigger snap-to-target thing is useful but it's not a catch-all.  The issue is that it snaps to the position of the target at the time when you pull the trigger.  It doesn't move your sights with your target, and in fact if you target is in motion, then by the time the gun is actually raised they will already be off center.  So if you're trying to use it with someone running perpendicular to you, it basically won't work.  It works great for targets standing still though.  For everything else, you eventually learn how to track people reasonably well, and scopes help a lot when you unlock them as well.

Good to know. 

My general advice -
-Stick to cover objects and remember to crouch.  Going prone is good for snipers.
-Don't feel like you have to constantly be on the move.  A lot of the times it's better to pick a spot and wait for people to come to you.
-Flashbangs can be very helpful so long as you don't use them on yourself.
-Pay attention to the map when you hear gunshots. HUD is largely unimportant except for the map.

I always crouch in MP games and usually attempt to utilize cover as much as possible.  Perhaps my problems stem from always being on the move.  I think finding a good place to hole up for a bit might really help and it makes perfect sense.  Especially since this seems to be what my enemies are doing, just waiting for silly PhillyPeteN00b to come stumbling by trying to find the nearest pub.  And when I'm in the open I need to run for my life toward those areas where I can catch my breath and wait for enemies, since that is in essence what you're supposed to do in a war environment.

All very good advice and greatly appreciated.

How is the UAV activated, and how the bloody hell do teams call in air strikes and blackhawk flying machines of death?
You get UAV at 3 kills in a row, at 5 you get access to the air strike, and the helicopter is available when you get 7 in a row.

Christ, right now I'm working on getting one kill in a row. icon_redface

Quote from: KePoW on November 09, 2007, 05:39:03 PM

Quote from: PeteRock on November 09, 2007, 05:18:05 PM

I played 1 and 2, but don't particularly remember any specifics about them since it was a long time ago, other than that they were fantastic games for their respective times.  one thing to note though...all the previous CoDs were all set in WW2, whereas CoD 4 has now made the jump to modern warfare of course.  so that definitely changes things up as far as equipment and tech

I was aware of the subject matter of the previous COD games, I just was curious if the gameplay mechanics were similar. 

By the end of the night I did learn that red dots didn't show up unless enemies were firing or if the UAV was active.  How is the UAV activated, and how the bloody hell do teams call in air strikes and blackhawk flying machines of death?  Problem is, most of the time the red dots were away from me, and as I ran toward them I was killed by other enemies I didn't even know were there

good question about activations.  for UAV, Air Strikes, and Helicopter...you have to get either 3, 5, or 7 kills in a row without dying to obtain each specific thing.  once you do, the announcer will say something obvious so you know, then you push Right on the D-pad to activate it for your team

Does your ability to use such functions show up on your HUD so that if you miss the announcement (because you're too busy running for your life or M-Fing yet another sniper) you at least can see when this is available to you?  Plus, I first need to get a handle on getting one kill in a row.  Getting three is probably a little ways down the road. 

I actually totally agree with you on the perspective point...each weapon is different and unique in its own way, so once you can Create a Class, you'll be able to test and find which ones you like.  for example, I hate the M4 by default with iron-sights because it's a very narrow circular sight that blocks the shit out of your peripheral vision.  but I like the AK a lot because it has a horizontal-type iron-sight.  once you unlock Red-Dot Sights however, it's a lot better for all weapons

I'm really glad you guys mention this because it gives me hope and a reason to keep playing.  With better weapons and the ability to create my own class I should really have a chance to get better at the game.  Knowing that better weapons are right there on the horizon makes me want to get right back into it.  I appreciate you guys helping to maintain my interest as I really want to play with you all and want to get better. 

for hit-indication, this is a tip you definitely need to know that might not be apparent.  when you are hitting/damaging an enemy, your crosshair will turn into an 'X' looking shape.  also I think there is a small medical-looking icon floating around the middle of the screen too, but it's easiest to just watch your crosshair since that's where you're shooting and looking at anyway.

I wondered what the hell that medical-looking icon was for, and I did notice a little white "X" when firing so I'm glad you explained that it was an indicator that I was wreaking unholy havoc on my target ( ninja).

there is no Friendly Fire by default so don't worry about that lol

Phew.  <<wipes brow>>

as far as the snap-to...do NOT rely on this in MP, it does not work the same way as having Auto Aim on in SP.  I'm not sure what that other guy on OO was talking about.  in MP, you still have a little bit of slow dragging auto-assist just like in Halo, but not the snap-to thing you're talking about in SP

Good to know.  I'll just stop worrying about it as it looks to be more of a liability than anything.

Quote from: Jarrodhk on November 09, 2007, 05:41:50 PM

Pete: 3 things will help your enjoyment a great deal I think.

1) Get 4th level and the create a class ability.  It makes a huge difference when you can customize things a bit more.  Also, you start with the 'Steady Aim' perk, that makes firing from the hip much more accurate.  A SAW or RPD can go a long way towards evening things out when you have steady aim.  3x special grenades and stun grenades can be very helpful as well.  Not sure what's around that corner?  Feel like someone is sneaking up on you?  Throw a stun grenade, if the damage lines pop up around your reticule, pop out and shoot poor sap.

I guess I should have trudged it out until I hit level 4 last night, but it has been such a bad week at work and being humiliated for an hour straight really didn't help matters.  Plus, not having any beer in the fridge just made things all the more frustrating.

Perks sound like they add a completely new and dynamic customization structure to how you play the game, and also augmenting your own personal play style.  What I'm kind of disappointed about is not being able to customize the look of my character.  Not sure why this is even an issue, since it is purely aesthetic, but I like being able to customize my character's look and also outfit him with my own choices of equipment.  And the ability to customize my load-out equipment might become available once I reach level 4 and I don't even know it yet.

2) Play some non-ranked private matches.  I'm perfectly willing/fine with being a target dummy for you while you get a better idea of how the game feels and target recognition.  SP helps as well.  Seriously, I takes a bit to adjust to tell friend from foe, and in all honesty I STILL don't recognize people in time periodically.  One thing that might help here is that your teammates will always be on your radar display, if you see someone moving and no green arrows around, shoot first.  At least to start shoot first is not a horrible idea anyway, but remember that unless you have a silencer on the weapon you will be visible to enemies at that point, so move to another spot.

I appreciate your willingness to help and might take you up on playing with a smaller group of people.  We don't necessarily have to treat it like a training seminar, but it might help to play with less bullets flying by my head and also getting helpful tips or commentary from other players to see what I'm doing wrong or to help provide me with better direction.

Along with this is the fact that the weapons all have a different 'feel' to them. Experimentation is necessary to figure out what works best for you.  I like to try different weapons out, and everytime I do my K/D drops for a few rounds... usually at least until I get the Red Dot Sight (this makes every gun better, except snipers).  Get 25 kills with any weapon to unlock the red dot sight after you hit level 4.

I really need to test out new weapons (at least once their available to me).  I also feel like so many of you are eerily familiar with the various weapons, referring to them in their abbreviated terms or nicknames as if they should be part of any man's vocabulary, like "screwdriver" or "power drill" or "beer."  I have zero military background and only know the names of one or two weapons, like the MP5, and that's only because I played R6.  I was never able to really find a weapon I liked in R6.  Hopefully I can find something I can use in COD4.

3) Something to remember is that a lot of people were in the beta, so they already have a leg up on all of this, and it can be difficult to remember what we had to go through adjusting to the game, and it does take some adjustment.  Another thing on this is that learning the maps is really really helpful, and private matches will help immensely with this.  Most maps have some favored routes of travel on them, find one, get Kato to cover your flank and rack up some kills.  Actually to add a point mid-point, team work is HUGE in this game.  Talk, coordinate, even with just one or two other people and watch the soloer's drop like flies.

I guess I never thought about the beta.  I was thinking that most of the l33t players have been playing like mad over the last few days.  I need to do a better job with teamwork.  I think last night I wandered off a little bit because everyone else hauled ass and knew where they were going, and I was like the little kid in Christmas Story asking my team of Ralphies to wait up.  Plus, I was trying to figure out controls, my HUD, and merely stay alive.  Trying to keep up with you guys was impossible right from the start.  And if you factor in my difficulty with being a follower, not enjoying accepting the role of little brother always wanting to tag along with the big kids, and I tried the baptism by fire approach of getting shot over and over again while trying to learn the game.

The different game modes also play out a bit differently.  Domination can actually be a really good mode for someone new to the game because it focuses a large portion of the enemy into a few predictable routes.

Right now I'm trying to learn how to stay alive and kill enemies.  When you throw in another objective that's one more thing I have to worry about.  In time I'll be ready for more complex modes of play.  For now though I need to keep it simple.

Don't take dying a lot to heart, it happens to all of us, Harkonis can go 36-2 in one match, and the very next round go 5-20.  Same with everyone else. With all the other modes that IW put in the game, it really is a shame that there isn't a training mode like Halo 3 has.

Goddamn ATB has me so obsessed with K/D ratios now from Halo 3 that now I'm mindful of it in every damn shooter I play.

I'm not sure if the snap-to functionality is actually in the MP... I've never noticed it working there at any rate.

The general consensus is to abandon any focus on this.  I'm going to forget about it (especially since it doesn't look to work in MP).

All in all Pete, having played numerous shooters with/against you, I have no doubt you'll get the hang of this quickly and start hanging out at the top of the scoreboards.

icon_redface

I really hope I pick things up, because the game looks to be a lot of fun, and I hope to get better.  Fortunately I want to keep playing and just need some more practice (and more weapons to choose from).  The game certainly isn't very n00b friendly.  And I'm not even a n00b when it comes to shooters, making this that much more frustrating.

Thanks for all of the advice and input.  I really appreciate it, and you are all helping me to want to stick it out and work at getting better because I enjoy playing with you all so much.

I do really love this place.

USMC Kato

I have a bad feeling about this....

View Profile
« Reply #136 on: November 09, 2007, 07:17:11 PM »

Hang in there Pete. The learning curve is brutal at first, but I think with a couple of private matches you'll be fine.

My survivability went up 1000000% when I unlocked the red dot for all the weapons I use.

« Last Edit: November 09, 2007, 07:18:56 PM by USMC Kato » Logged

Semper Fidelis

Gamertag: USMC Kato
PSN ID: USMC_Kato
Gamecenter ID: USMC Kato
Wii U Nintendo ID: USMC_Kato
jersoc

View Profile
« Reply #137 on: November 09, 2007, 07:24:49 PM »

Huh? The m16 and ak are pretty freakin sweet, actually. I use the M16 and it doesn't suck at all. You need to use the right perks with the right gun on the right map. Think of the cons this gun has and then make perks to give you that extra edge. Because the M16 fires in 3 bursts I use the stopping power perk, that way each bullet does more damage. You could also use juggernaut. For most maps the M16 is more than fine. Vacant I would use sub machine guns though as it's close quarter.
PeteRock

View Profile
« Reply #138 on: November 09, 2007, 07:38:16 PM »

Quote from: USMC Kato on November 09, 2007, 07:17:11 PM

Hang in there Pete. The learning curve is brutal at first, but I think with a couple of private matches you'll be fine.

My survivability went up 1000000% when I unlocked the red dot for all the weapons I use.

That's easy for yousmc to say.   icon_wink

I really need to unlock perks and new weapons and sights.  I think once I get a better sight on my weapon I'll be better off.

Quote from: jersoc on November 09, 2007, 07:24:49 PM

Huh? The m16 and ak are pretty freakin sweet, actually. I use the M16 and it doesn't suck at all. You need to use the right perks with the right gun on the right map. Think of the cons this gun has and then make perks to give you that extra edge. Because the M16 fires in 3 bursts I use the stopping power perk, that way each bullet does more damage. You could also use juggernaut. For most maps the M16 is more than fine. Vacant I would use sub machine guns though as it's close quarter.

No, they aren't that sweet for players new to the game, especially when stuck with iron sights.  Plus, even though you may think they rival sliced bread, I do not think they are more than fine.  For me.  Perhaps you fare better with them than I do, but having not yet unlocked perks or better weapon sights/scopes, I've found the initial weapons to be frustrating and difficult to use.  Perhaps more exprience and the right perks can make them more usable, but right now I'm not very fond of them.  And because my military weaponry experience is limited to the occasional military-themed video game, I don't even know when a "sub machine gun" or "assault rifle" are appropriate, or how they differ, etc.  At the moment using the right gun on the right map is difficult for me to determine, and I'm not exactly provided with many options just yet.

jersoc

View Profile
« Reply #139 on: November 09, 2007, 07:48:21 PM »

The descriptions of the guns help to determine which is better when. It's not like I operate a small terrorist ring or anything. The game is all about classes. Utilize them. You have to play differently on maps. That's just the way they're designed. It keeps the game fresh as every map isn't a clone, much like h3 are. You're right, the guns are preference, but you said in general they suck. They don't, they are good, but not for everyone. You only need a short 25 kills to get the dot, that's like 3 games, 5 max for starting players. Stick in a group and you'll fare better til you get the dot. Use the radar as well. Don't waste UAV's either, you don't have to put one up right when you get it. I wait until I think the enemy is holed up or if someone has an air strike. Stick to the outside of the map. The center is a death trap unless you crouch and run your way through fast. Sit in a spot for a while, if no one comes move to another.
PeteRock

View Profile
« Reply #140 on: November 09, 2007, 08:00:29 PM »

Quote from: jersoc on November 09, 2007, 07:48:21 PM

The descriptions of the guns help to determine which is better when. It's not like I operate a small terrorist ring or anything. The game is all about classes. Utilize them. You have to play differently on maps. That's just the way they're designed. It keeps the game fresh as every map isn't a clone, much like h3 are.

How do you know the right gun for each map when first going into a game?  Do you have to already be familiar with the map, or are there on-screen clues or perhaps suggestions in the weapon description screens?  Last night when we entered a game the loading screen showed the name of the map we were about to play.  Are there any indications on the map screen that would indicate ideal weapons, or must you already know what kind of map it is based on the name and having played it before?  If so, then experience is the only helpful factor.  I didn't know anything about the maps we played, and so that made choosing from the limited selection of weapons even more of a challenge.

I'm also not suggesting that anyone runs a terrorist ring or anything, but I am sometimes amazed at the familiarity gamers show with various weapons, using terms like "SCAR", "SAW", "MP5", etc, like it's common knowledge. 

You're right, the guns are preference, but you said in general they suck. They don't, they are good, but not for everyone.

Especially for those starting out in the game.  Perhaps they're useful with experience, but when you first load up the game and go into battle with the M16, with no perks and an iron sight, it is not a fun or effective weapon. 

You only need a short 25 kills to get the dot, that's like 3 games, 5 max for starting players. Stick in a group and you'll fare better til you get the dot. Use the radar as well. Don't waste UAV's either, you don't have to put one up right when you get it. I wait until I think the enemy is holed up or if someone has an air strike. Stick to the outside of the map. The center is a death trap unless you crouch and run your way through fast. Sit in a spot for a while, if no one comes move to another.

Good tips.  I'll keep all of this in mind the next time I play.  And I am definitely going to work toward a red-dot-sight the next time I play.  I'm hoping that with all of the extra hours I've had to put in this week at work that I'll be able to head home early and get some more time in with COD4 before hosting tonight's Halo 3 Friday Night Fight.

All of the tips have been very helpful.  I just need to be a little more understanding about my sub-par performance and chalk it up to being new to the series and the game. 
« Last Edit: November 09, 2007, 08:03:03 PM by PeteRock » Logged

KePoW

View Profile
« Reply #141 on: November 09, 2007, 08:01:19 PM »

Quote from: PeteRock on November 09, 2007, 07:16:08 PM

Does your ability to use such functions show up on your HUD so that if you miss the announcement (because you're too busy running for your life or M-Fing yet another sniper) you at least can see when this is available to you?

yeah, down at the bottom of the screen somewhere, there is a mini-picture of a D-Pad that shows what is active for each direction you push on it.  it's really small though, so it's hard to notice and isn't very intuitive to noobs of the game

I guess I should have trudged it out until I hit level 4 last night, but it has been such a bad week at work and being humiliated for an hour straight really didn't help matters.  Plus, not having any beer in the fridge just made things all the more frustrating.

Perks sound like they add a completely new and dynamic customization structure to how you play the game, and also augmenting your own personal play style.  What I'm kind of disappointed about is not being able to customize the look of my character.  Not sure why this is even an issue, since it is purely aesthetic, but I like being able to customize my character's look and also outfit him with my own choices of equipment.  And the ability to customize my load-out equipment might become available once I reach level 4 and I don't even know it yet

for the Create a Class, you can pick and customize your entire loadout as well as Perks.  as in, you can specifically choose a different Primary Weapon, Side Arm, and Grenade Type, all individually.  not only that, but you can pick a bunch of different attachments for your Primary weapons and Side Arms.  then of course you can pick 3 different Perks all separately too.  it is complete customization and that's why it's so badass

you can't change your clothes aesthetically though, like in R6 Vegas...which I agree with you, I wish you could do.  the only thing you can 'change' is that you will be in a ghillie suit if you pick a sniper rifle as your Primary weapon
KePoW

View Profile
« Reply #142 on: November 09, 2007, 08:03:15 PM »

Huh? The m16 and ak are pretty freakin sweet, actually. I use the M16 and it doesn't suck at all

the M16 does not 'suck'... however I would definitely describe it as noob unfriendly.  due to the fact it only fires in 3-round bursts
PeteRock

View Profile
« Reply #143 on: November 09, 2007, 08:05:20 PM »

Quote from: KePoW on November 09, 2007, 08:03:15 PM

Huh? The m16 and ak are pretty freakin sweet, actually. I use the M16 and it doesn't suck at all

the M16 does not 'suck'... however I would definitely describe it as noob unfriendly.  due to the fact it only fires in 3-round bursts

My point was to express my frustration with a gun that was very difficult to use as someone new to the game.  It might not suck in the general scheme of things, but for me it most certainly does. 

KePoW

View Profile
« Reply #144 on: November 09, 2007, 08:06:32 PM »

Quote from: PeteRock on November 09, 2007, 08:00:29 PM

How do you know the right gun for each map when first going into a game?  Do you have to already be familiar with the map, or are there on-screen clues or perhaps suggestions in the weapon description screens?  Last night when we entered a game the loading screen showed the name of the map we were about to play.  Are there any indications on the map screen that would indicate ideal weapons, or must you already know what kind of map it is based on the name and having played it before?  If so, then experience is the only helpful factor.  I didn't know anything about the maps we played, and so that made choosing from the limited selection of weapons even more of a challenge

you are right, there is no way to tell for first-timers to CoD 4... jersoc was giving you more info than you really needed to know, with map names and all that.  of course you're not going to recognize any of the map names yet, so don't worry about it
KePoW

View Profile
« Reply #145 on: November 09, 2007, 08:07:52 PM »

Quote from: PeteRock on November 09, 2007, 08:05:20 PM

Quote from: KePoW on November 09, 2007, 08:03:15 PM

My point was to express my frustration with a gun that was very difficult to use as someone new to the game.  It might not suck in the general scheme of things, but for me it most certainly does. 

yeah, my reply to jersoc was because I agreed with you, lol.  the M16 does not 'suck' in the overall grand scheme, but it does suck for beginners.  I definitely thought it sucked the first time I played CoD 4 MP in the beta
PeteRock

View Profile
« Reply #146 on: November 09, 2007, 08:09:49 PM »

Quote from: KePoW on November 09, 2007, 08:06:32 PM

Quote from: PeteRock on November 09, 2007, 08:00:29 PM

How do you know the right gun for each map when first going into a game?  Do you have to already be familiar with the map, or are there on-screen clues or perhaps suggestions in the weapon description screens?  Last night when we entered a game the loading screen showed the name of the map we were about to play.  Are there any indications on the map screen that would indicate ideal weapons, or must you already know what kind of map it is based on the name and having played it before?  If so, then experience is the only helpful factor.  I didn't know anything about the maps we played, and so that made choosing from the limited selection of weapons even more of a challenge

you are right, there is no way to tell for first-timers to CoD 4... jersoc was giving you more info than you really needed to know, with map names and all that.  of course you're not going to recognize any of the map names yet, so don't worry about it

Well, the next time you all are playing MP, if you wouldn't mind "teh n00b" tagging along, shoot me another invite.  I didn't mean to be short with everyone last night, but it certainly was not a fun initial experience.  I'd really like to stick it out and progress in the MP portion of the game, and if you are all willing to provide a little guidance I'd like to continue to play with you.  I really do enjoy playing with you guys, and it would be far more tolerable to progress in the ranking system playing with all of you rather than with a room full of strangers.

KePoW

View Profile
« Reply #147 on: November 09, 2007, 08:17:28 PM »

Quote from: PeteRock on November 09, 2007, 08:09:49 PM

Well, the next time you all are playing MP, if you wouldn't mind "teh n00b" tagging along, shoot me another invite.  I didn't mean to be short with everyone last night, but it certainly was not a fun initial experience.  I'd really like to stick it out and progress in the MP portion of the game, and if you are all willing to provide a little guidance I'd like to continue to play with you.  I really do enjoy playing with you guys, and it would be far more tolerable to progress in the ranking system playing with all of you rather than with a room full of strangers.

sure, of course...it's definitely more fun to Party with friends and then go play opposing random teams, just like in Halo 3.  and as I told you last night, do not under any circumstances play any more FFA, until much later when you feel comfortable with the game.  that is by far the most noob unfriendly mode, which makes it unfortunate that it's the default thing at the top of the MP matchmaking list

and I would still definitely recommend you play and experience the SP campaign.  both for getting yourself familiar and acclimated to the game, and also just the fact that it kicks ass haha
Caine

My cocaine

View Profile
« Reply #148 on: November 09, 2007, 08:27:19 PM »

you read the post i made (on OO) about lmg's so i won't necessarily repost that all here, here's some general advice to save you (and your 360) from frustration.  btw, my first match was bad, man, just horrible.  i think i killed one person unlucky enough to run away from me, and died more than i remember.  so don't feel too bad. 

1.  when you die, watch the kill cam.  it's a great feedback tool to see what you did wrong/what they did right.  were you partially exposed?  did they flank you?  was it a sniper?  where was he camped?  if you were shot through the wall, how did they know?  all these answers will make you a better player. 

2.  try a few guns, but don't change out every round/death.  it takes a bit of use to learn the intricacies of each weapon and rolling through the list like a marketing bullet point will only hamper your progress.  if you find one which sucks, but seems to be a popular weapon, go back to it after you get your bearings.

3.  don't go running out into a courtyard without backup/uav.  if it looks deserted, there's a good chance it's an ambush waiting to happen, especially on domination maps. 

4.  early on, help capture the domination points.  it's an easy 15 points just for showing up.  later on, it is much more beneficial to you and your team if you split and go after points 1 and 2. 

5.  dropping an airstrike is best done after a uav is called in.  if you get one, see if anyone in the team is ready for an airstrike.  in the first match i played against kato, i got 7 kills this way.  instant helicopter.  you also get points for using the specials.

6.  if you drop an enemy or are near a dead team mate, see what their weapon was.  early on, it will be better than what you can bring.  even another m-16, as it may be scoped or have the grenade launcher. 
« Last Edit: November 09, 2007, 08:36:12 PM by Caine » Logged

"It's like chess with big guns against aliens. Which isn't like chess at all when I think about it." - Jake Solomon
TheMissingLink

TML, for short.

View Profile
« Reply #149 on: November 09, 2007, 08:31:15 PM »

"This the third installment, Infinity Ward shit, don't soil your drawers cause it's deep and it's hard, bitch."

TheMissingLink on PSN
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #150 on: November 09, 2007, 08:34:09 PM »

Quote from: KePoW on November 09, 2007, 08:01:19 PM

Quote from: PeteRock on November 09, 2007, 07:16:08 PM

Does your ability to use such functions show up on your HUD so that if you miss the announcement (because you're too busy running for your life or M-Fing yet another sniper) you at least can see when this is available to you?

yeah, down at the bottom of the screen somewhere, there is a mini-picture of a D-Pad that shows what is active for each direction you push on it.  it's really small though, so it's hard to notice and isn't very intuitive to noobs of the game

Perks sound like they add a completely new and dynamic customization structure to how you play the game, and also augmenting your own personal play style.  What I'm kind of disappointed about is not being able to customize the look of my character.  Not sure why this is even an issue, since it is purely aesthetic, but I like being able to customize my character's look and also outfit him with my own choices of equipment.  And the ability to customize my load-out equipment might become available once I reach level 4 and I don't even know it yet

for the Create a Class, you can pick and customize your entire loadout as well as Perks.  as in, you can specifically choose a different Primary Weapon, Side Arm, and Grenade Type, all individually.  not only that, but you can pick a bunch of different attachments for your Primary weapons and Side Arms.  then of course you can pick 3 different Perks all separately too.  it is complete customization and that's why it's so badass

you can't change your clothes aesthetically though, like in R6 Vegas...which I agree with you, I wish you could do.  the only thing you can 'change' is that you will be in a ghillie suit if you pick a sniper rifle as your Primary weapon

I've noticed that your outfit is based on your primary weapon.  Shotgun users don't have a helmet, they have the ski mask thingie that I conveniently forgot the name of which starts with a 'B' I think slywink
KePoW

View Profile
« Reply #151 on: November 09, 2007, 08:37:18 PM »

Quote from: Harkonis on November 09, 2007, 08:34:09 PM

I've noticed that your outfit is based on your primary weapon.  Shotgun users don't have a helmet, they have the ski mask thingie that I conveniently forgot the name of which starts with a 'B' I think slywink

lol really, never noticed that

baklava
Thin_J

View Profile
« Reply #152 on: November 09, 2007, 08:40:54 PM »

Actually, Balaclava.

Baklava is some kind of weird pastry.

Thin_J

View Profile
« Reply #153 on: November 09, 2007, 08:43:26 PM »

Quote from: kathode

It so does not. Once you get the red dot sight it's easily the best all around assault rifle in the game.

Caine

My cocaine

View Profile
« Reply #154 on: November 09, 2007, 08:44:13 PM »

pete, you can totally ignore the K/D ratio this early on.  wed night i started 40 kills under and finished almost 40 over.  once the mp clicks for you, it will go back up. 

and to chime in, yes, i also disliked the m-16 in my first game.  i didn't realize it was basically the battle rifle sans sight. 

kathode

View Profile
« Reply #155 on: November 09, 2007, 08:50:19 PM »

Quote from: Thin_J on November 09, 2007, 08:43:26 PM

Quote from: kathode

It so does not. Once you get the red dot sight it's easily the best all around assault rifle in the game.

Until then, it sucks.  Therefore, the starter gun sucks smile
PeteRock

View Profile
« Reply #156 on: November 09, 2007, 08:59:54 PM »

Quote from: Caine on November 09, 2007, 08:27:19 PM

you read the post i made (on OO) about lmg's so i won't necessarily repost that all here, here's some general advice to save you (and your 360) from frustration.  btw, my first match was bad, man, just horrible.  i think i killed one person unlucky enough to run away from me, and died more than i remember.  so don't feel too bad.

It's still hard for someone who has been playing well in Halo 3 to accept sucking just because "everyone else did when they started, too."  I'm not saying you're wrong, but I just find it difficult to swallow.  In my last game with kepow and company I had one kill.  One.  And I think close to 20 deaths.  It was atrocious.  And not the supercalifragilistic kind.     

1.  when you die, watch the kill cam.  it's a great feedback tool to see what you did wrong/what they did right.  were you partially exposed?  did they flank you?  was it a sniper?  where was he camped?  if you were shot through the wall, how did they know?  all these answers will make you a better player.

So far the only thing I've taken from the kill cam is that I look like a bumbling idiot looking for the bathroom.  I am always in the open when I'm killed, at least from the enemy's perspective, even though I thought I was in cover.  I guess I have to reevaluate my own perception of "good cover."  Because it obviously isn't if I'm being shot with ease.  But it's almost always by a sniper, and I can never find the bastard when I respawn, especially since there are more than one, and each time someone new snipes my ass. 

2.  try a few guns, but don't change out every round/death.  it takes a bit of use to learn the intricacies of each weapon and rolling through the list like a marketing bullet point will only hamper your progress.  if you find one which sucks, but seems to be a popular weapon, go back to it after you get your bearings.

I'll have to just accept the fact that I am going to struggle for a while as I learn the maps, get used to the gameplay and controls, and try to find weapons I am good with.  I need to first unlock the ability to choose from different weapons, and then I plan to give everything a whirl.

3.  don't go running out into a courtyard without backup/uav.  if it looks deserted, there's a good chance it's an ambush waiting to happen, especially on domination maps.

I learned this the hard way.  "Oooh, no one seems to be around.  I'll just sneak through this wide open area with plenty of sight lines from all around and naively think that no one can see.......<<BLAM>>."   retard   

4.  early on, help capture the domination points.  it's an easy 15 points just for showing up.  later on, it is much more beneficial to you and your team if you split and go after points 1 and 2. 

5.  dropping an airstrike is best done after a uav is called in.  if you get one, see if anyone in the team is ready for an airstrike.  in the first match i played against kato, i got 7 kills this way.  instant helicopter.  you also get points for using the specials.

First I need to get a few kills in a row without dying befoe any of this will even become an option.

6.  if you drop an enemy or are near a dead team mate, see what their weapon was.  early on, it will be better than what you can bring.  even another m-16, as it may be scoped or have the grenade launcher. 

I have started to do this and I've been able to find some decent weapons, but because I'm still going through that "dying all the F-ing time" learning curve I don't get to enjoy them for very long.

metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #157 on: November 09, 2007, 09:07:23 PM »

good game,the single player is short....liked the after credits thing though...not sure about the ending before the credits though

multiplayer is still a blast,and i really love the maps...dont think i have seen them all yet,and i am rank 11(definetly not seen downpour or crash<<which was on the beta,so i know what thats like)

been playing for about 8-9 hrs,and my head is killing me,LOL

Manchester United Premier League Champions 2013!!

Xbox LIVE:Metallicorphan
Wii:8565 1513 0206 1960
PSN:Metallicorphan
PeteRock

View Profile
« Reply #158 on: November 09, 2007, 09:13:01 PM »

The first time I played on "Downpour" I was absolutely amazed.  Rain was pouring down, plants were growing around fallen chain link fences, people were fighting around an old greenhouse, the sound of rain filled my living room, it was like nothing I've ever seen before in a MP game. 

I'm leaving the office shortly now that my proposals are on their way, and I plan to get back into COD4 the moment I get home (which will follow a necessary stop for beer).  I thank you all for your input and advice.  It has been a HUGE help and has made me excited to play the game again.  Plus, I now have a feeling of hope that my struggles won't last forever, and once I hit that ranking of 4 I think a whole new aspect of the game will open up to me.

Thanks again, everyone. 

metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #159 on: November 09, 2007, 09:35:11 PM »

Quote from: PeteRock on November 09, 2007, 09:13:01 PM

The first time I played on "Downpour" I was absolutely amazed.  Rain was pouring down, plants were growing around fallen chain link fences, people were fighting around an old greenhouse, the sound of rain filled my living room, it was like nothing I've ever seen before in a MP game. 

i may miss out on the sound,as i always have my sound turned down when i am online so others cant hear my TV through the mic

and i think it was fourzerotwo who said that everyone should try downpour first,so i knew it must of been special

i was wondering about DLC....now the usual thing is maps,maps and more maps....which would be great....but there has also been rumours of co-op DLC(which after playing the game,i cant really see it happening)...but i am wondering,if whether the single player game was short for a reason...maybe a few more levels,would be nice....especially like 'death from above' level

i was also hoping for a jeep level in the SP

Manchester United Premier League Champions 2013!!

Xbox LIVE:Metallicorphan
Wii:8565 1513 0206 1960
PSN:Metallicorphan
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 12   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: