http://gamingtrend.com
April 17, 2014, 01:55:54 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Call of Duty 3 for the Wii: how to ruin a game!  (Read 925 times)
animeshk
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« on: November 28, 2006, 04:16:00 AM »

I've been playing Call of Duty 3 for the Wii, and as I've been getting used to the controls I've been enjoying myself.  And then it happened: one of those moments that has simply ruined the game for me. 

Here is the situation: I'm fighting with the French resistance.  I kill some Nazi's and then I head up a flight of stairs in a house.  At the top of the stairs, a Nazi soldier grabs me, and I have to do that bit where I'm moving the nunchuk and the wiimote alternatingly forward and back.  And it's not registering right and I'm dying, again and again.  There are no indicators anywhere as to what isn't registering: should I be holding things differently?  Moving faster?  Moving slower?  All that happens is that I die, and then I'm back at the last checkpoint, fighting my way again until I reach the building and get killed again.

There doesn't appear to be any button-press alternative to this action. 

And there doesn't appear to be any way to avoid it.  I've thrown tons of granades to the top of the steps, and he's still there.  I even moved slowly and saw the soldier, and I shot him point blank . . . and he stands there doing nothing and not dying.  To move forward in the game, I need to get past this segment . . . and I am not getting past this segment. 

Does anyone have any advice?  Is there some trick to the gestures that eludes me?  Is there some other way to get past this point?  I wonder if the Gamestop has a return policy in the holiday season.
Tebunker
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Ask How, Ask Now, Ask me

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2006, 04:23:47 AM »

I hate super scripted moments in games. That sucks. I would try the game's specific forums at either there website or on IGN or something. I would think that you just aren't doing it hard enough or correctly. I don't have the game so I can't help you more.

"I hate cynicism -- it's my least favorite quality and it doesn't lead anywhere. Nobody in life gets exactly what they thought they were going to get. But if you work really hard and you're kind amazing things will happen." - Conan O'Brien
whiteboyskim
Senior Staff Writer

Hard partier

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2006, 04:57:04 AM »

Hell I'm playing it on the Xbox right now and it's dying for me too. Not that moment in particular though. The fact that the game sucks ass for the first few missions is what's putting me off. disgust

Behold the glory of my new blog!
Filmmaking is vision plus faith plus balls, all 3 of which Hollywood knows little about.
denoginizer

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2006, 05:50:21 AM »

I played through the first 3 missions on the 360 this evening.  I have only had 1 forced melee so far.  You have to press the triggers alternately and then press y to finish him off.  Kind of gimmicky but not a game breaker for me.   So far it seems like a graphically upgraded CoD2.  But I'm enjoying it.  I think the real fun of this game will be in the multiplayer. 

Xbox Live Tag: denoginizer
PSN Name: denoginizer
EddieA

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2006, 06:19:17 AM »

Try the GameFAQs forum, particularly the "Answers about the Controls" topic.

"Why did the chicken cross the Mobius strip?  To get to the same side."  - The Big Bang Theory
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2006, 04:03:52 PM »

Quote from: animeshk on November 28, 2006, 04:16:00 AM

I've been playing Call of Duty 3 for the Wii, and as I've been getting used to the controls I've been enjoying myself.  And then it happened: one of those moments that has simply ruined the game for me. 

Here is the situation: I'm fighting with the French resistance.  I kill some Nazi's and then I head up a flight of stairs in a house.  At the top of the stairs, a Nazi soldier grabs me, and I have to do that bit where I'm moving the nunchuk and the wiimote alternatingly forward and back.  And it's not registering right and I'm dying, again and again.  There are no indicators anywhere as to what isn't registering: should I be holding things differently?  Moving faster?  Moving slower?  All that happens is that I die, and then I'm back at the last checkpoint, fighting my way again until I reach the building and get killed again.

There doesn't appear to be any button-press alternative to this action. 

And there doesn't appear to be any way to avoid it.  I've thrown tons of granades to the top of the steps, and he's still there.  I even moved slowly and saw the soldier, and I shot him point blank . . . and he stands there doing nothing and not dying.  To move forward in the game, I need to get past this segment . . . and I am not getting past this segment. 

Does anyone have any advice?  Is there some trick to the gestures that eludes me?  Is there some other way to get past this point?  I wonder if the Gamestop has a return policy in the holiday season.

That particular section killed me several times as well.  You are talking about the one where you go through the courtyard, enter through the side of the building (pop the two guards inside the doorway), and then go up the stairs immediately on the right, correct?

If so, remember you have to hold the wiimote and chuck similar to you grabbing a rifle.  (hard to describe, but hopefully you get what I mean)

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2006, 04:20:40 PM »

Quote from: Knightshade Dragon on November 28, 2006, 04:03:52 PM

If so, remember you have to hold the wiimote and chuck similar to you grabbing a rifle.  (hard to describe, but hopefully you get what I mean)

you mean hold it so your hand are positioned exactly as they appear on the screen?

That sounds kind of neat.  When I get my Wii I may have to rent CoD3..... my 360 version is just collecting dust since it was overshadowed by Gears and then Vegas.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2006, 04:26:10 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on November 28, 2006, 04:20:40 PM

Quote from: Knightshade Dragon on November 28, 2006, 04:03:52 PM

you mean hold it so your hand are positioned exactly as they appear on the screen?

That sounds kind of neat.  When I get my Wii I may have to rent CoD3..... my 360 version is just collecting dust since it was overshadowed by Gears and then Vegas.

Yep!  That is exactly it.

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
animeshk
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2006, 04:48:55 PM »

Okay, I finally got past him.  As it turns out, I was holding the Wiimote and the Nunchuck wrong.  When I turned them so that the backs of the controllers were facing away from me, it suddenly worked!

Shortly after that, I got to another driving level.  Now THIS is fun and funny.  When I started a driving level and I realized how the controls were mimicking a steering wheel (hold the nunchuck at 9 o'clock, hold the wiimote at 3 o'clock, and turn them as though there was a wheel there), I couldn't help but find this so absurd I was laughing.  Then, I realized that . . . it actually worked and worked surprisingly well!
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 28, 2006, 04:53:16 PM »

Quote from: animeshk on November 28, 2006, 04:48:55 PM

Shortly after that, I got to another driving level.  Now THIS is fun and funny.  When I started a driving level and I realized how the controls were mimicking a steering wheel (hold the nunchuck at 9 o'clock, hold the wiimote at 3 o'clock, and turn them as though there was a wheel there), I couldn't help but find this so absurd I was laughing.  Then, I realized that . . . it actually worked and worked surprisingly well!

There is actually an attachment out there to turn the remote into a steering wheel for games that use steering controls like that. 
Kobra

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 28, 2006, 05:23:10 PM »

Quote from: Tebunker on November 28, 2006, 04:23:47 AM

I hate super scripted moments in games. That sucks. I would try the game's specific forums at either there website or on IGN or something. I would think that you just aren't doing it hard enough or correctly. I don't have the game so I can't help you more.

+1

All truth goes through three stages: first it is ridiculed: then it is
violently opposed: finally it is accepted as self evident. - Schopenhauer
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: