http://gamingtrend.com
August 29, 2014, 03:33:11 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Call of Duty 2 Impressions Thread (minor spoilers only)  (Read 2080 times)
Calvin
Gaming Trend Senior Member

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« on: October 27, 2005, 08:12:45 AM »

More impressions will have to wait until tomorrow. Very, very early impressions (~2 hours MP, ~1 hour SP)

MP:
The Russian PPH is still grossly overpowered
The Carbines are grossly underpowered
Snipers are pretty damned strong
Still hard to effectively fight with the carbine in many maps
The pace of play is still very very fast.
Many UO changes have made their way into this game
It is very very fun.
The new Headquarters mode is an absolute blast
Search and destroy still rocks
I see no reason to ever play DoD Source again now that I have this. It controls better, looks better, models weapons better, the net code is better, there are 4 gameplay types instead of one, and its only a smidgen faster and less "realistic" than the new arcade DoD.

Initial impressions: very favorable. This is likely to become my new standard MP game for a while. Only problem, after being really really good at CoD, I now suck hard.

Single Player:
The voice acting, sound, sound effects, etc are simply top notch AAA.
The graphics engine is absolutely freaking phenomenal. I have yet to see a game make textures/fabrics/uniforms/etc look so real. It runs suprisingly well too at my config settings (Although no AA is on right now). From what I have seen this year (Quake 4, FEAR, others) this is the best looking shooter so far. Yet. Ever. I love it.
The action, while heavily scripted in the two levels I played, is fantastic. It is fast, fun, frantic, dangerous, heart pounding, etc. It is still straight forward WW2 shooter shit, but it is the ultimate refinement of that. Enemy AI still tends to let you kill them, but is much improved in many ares. They actively try to flank, use cover well, and have a nasty tendancy to find pillars, tables, doors, and other objects to use for cover while they snipe at you. I find it more difficult than CoD1, which I could just blast through most of the time-I like the teamwork they seem to display, even though it is still fairly basic. Your squad-wow, what can I say. Still mostly nameless and faceless (what do you expect, its the Russian army. Mortality rate=everyone), but there are tons of them, in fact exactly the amount of men you expect to be charging around the battlefield. Unfortunately for them, most of them die while completing objectives and occasionally (still, very occasionally) actually killing someone. Fortunately for you, it makes it look MUCH more like a battlefield than other WW2 shooters. Guys next to you are constantly having their shit blown up while you watchin in abject horror and run like mad for the next objective.

Keep in mind these are very early impressions. More tomorrow.
depward

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2005, 02:58:47 PM »

Sounds pretty good.  Makes me almost want to pick it up for the "it's better than DoD" comparison.

depward on the Playstation Network
raaaaaawwwwwwr on Xbox Live
whispa
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2005, 03:16:00 PM »

I played the demo and liked it a lot. What concerns me is the multiplayer and speed of the game. Realism is pretty much thrown out the window for this one. I was turned off by the speed of DoD Source. Made using rifles really non existant.   frown
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2005, 03:47:44 PM »

I played Multi with Infinity Ward for about 2-3 hours and had a blast.  I thought it was a hell of a lot of fun. smile

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
depward

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2005, 06:05:28 PM »

Quote from: "Knightshade Dragon"
I played Multi with Infinity Ward for about 2-3 hours and had a blast.  I thought it was a hell of a lot of fun. smile

Exactly the thing I didn't want to hear.  Well, my heart wanted to hear that but my wallet didn't.  THANKS a LOT Knightshade!   biggrin

depward on the Playstation Network
raaaaaawwwwwwr on Xbox Live
Jimmy the Fish

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2005, 07:09:54 PM »

How fast of a PC do you have and does CoD2 run smoothly on it?
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2005, 07:44:50 PM »

Athlon 64 3000+
2GB PC3200 DDR RAM
7800 GT PCI-e vid card

And it does run very smooth.  Even in the most hellish of battles.

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
Harpua3

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2005, 06:45:08 AM »

Wow, not alot of impressions flowing on this one. Well, I played the SP all the way through the Mp for a few hours and what a great game, a really great game! I`m running a p4 3.0 ghz, 1gb ddr, 6800gt 256mb card( 81.85, newest official ones) and it runs great. I just keep the setting at the auto config settings besides I turned fsaa to 2x, and the resolution to 1024x768. It runs and looks GREAT! This was a nicely timed pick-me-up for me. Great game.
TheMissingLink

TML, for short.

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2005, 06:54:44 AM »

Yeah, I'm really enjoying myself as well.  The MP is solid - I actually disliked the living hell out of it the first session I played it.  But all I was doing was comparing it to Day of Defeat, so I put that out of my mind and I'm having fun.  The KillCam ROCKS, btw.

Single-player is pretty cool, as well.  It's pretty damn hectic out at times.  And I'm finding it to be pretty hard at hardened mode, but it's enjoyable.  I wish I were able to give my comrades a few orders...something like...come on now, let's chaaaarge!  The scripted events, while not my thing, are staying fresh.

TheMissingLink on PSN
Harpua3

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2005, 09:16:59 PM »

I just started my 2nd play though. This time I went with the hardened difficulty level. The normal wasn`t easy, but I figure this should be more of a challenge(In a good way). I`d love to play some MP of this with you guys sometime. Fun, Fun, Fun.
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 02, 2005, 03:10:07 AM »

I finished it yesterday and will have more impressions later when I am not watching The Office smile
Suffice it to say I loved it and it might be a GOTY contender for me.

I too plan to restart it on hardened very soon.
WarPig
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 02, 2005, 04:12:57 PM »

I finished it over the weekend.  By far, I'd have to say my favorite weapon is the Bren LMG.  The zoom when switching to iron sights is impressive, and it's easy to pop one shot off at a time, keeping your aim.  Combined with the stopping power and the usefulness in close quarters, I loved playing the Brits.

As far as a sniper rifle, my favorite was picking up the scoped Gewehr 43.  I even preferred the non-scoped to the M1 Garand, which I found strangely inaccurate, even with the iron sights up.

All in all, the action is amazing and the ability to pick up whatever is on hand is great.

Unbreakable: "Stupid is the new ugly"
Lockdown

LD

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 03, 2005, 02:17:34 AM »

I wouldn't mind some specific (relatively in depth) multiplayer-only impressions if someone has a chance.  Calvin gave a good quick overview, but more would be great.  Specifically, how does it feel different from say... Battlefield 2?  (other than the obvious WWII vs. Modern day)

LD  :wink:

LD

"Let your enemies fear, for a harlequin of the Laughing God dances at your side."
mikeg

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: November 03, 2005, 03:27:39 AM »

Just finished the game and it was a very enjoyable ride.  Quite an amazing accomplishment actually.  I really like the last line of the credits.  Pretty funny.  

I was impressed by the weapons, the a.i. of the enemy, the layout of the maps, and ofcourse the sound.

I am Xboxalot on Live.
TheMissingLink

TML, for short.

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 03, 2005, 04:24:28 AM »

I've played a lot of multiplayer and I really enjoy it.  At first, I didn't like it so much because I herald Day of Defeat as perfection, but the more I play it, the more I enjoy it.  It is *way* better than Day of Defeat: Souce (which I despise).  It's probably the most realistic shooter I've played online.  I mean, yeah, CS feels realistic, Operation Flashpoint is like, the God of realistic shooters, but I really feel like a normal soldier when I play online.

What I mean by that is, sometimes I'll get lucky and get a few shots in a row, sometimes I won't.  And then you gotta decide if you wanna bring up the iron sights or not, and if you don't, your accuracy could be a little off (plus you don't have crosshairs, OH NOES).

It has DM, and team DM, but what I really enjoy is Headquarters.  It's pretty damn unique - basically, it's a multi-player TEAM King of the Hill.  One of the two teams takes over a point, and accumulates points, while the other team tries to take that point over.  The team that is holding that area has limited spawns (you die, you're out, until the other team captures that point and two new areas come up for you to capture).  It takes awhile to get used to, but I'm really really digging it.

From what I hear, there is rampent cheating.  I have yet to come across a like, 40-3 person online.  There are really good players - but I think it's knowledge of the map and good feel for the weaponry.  It's rumored that Punkbuster, an anti-cheating tool, will be implemented for the next patch, and that would rock.

Grenades are quite powerful.  I think soldiers spawn with too many right now, as you see people just chuck 'em and you can get some wild kills that way...ALSO, the kill-cam, if enabled, is awesome.  It'll show the last 7 seconds from the person who killed you's vantagepoint and manalive, sometimes you'll be like, "WTF was I THINKING!?"  I have yet to come across seeing anyone cheating that way.

It's a really fun multiplayer experience - after at first disliking it, I've come to really enjoy myself while playing it.

fin.

TheMissingLink on PSN
Harpua3

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 03, 2005, 07:19:20 AM »

I`m gonna either start F.E.A.R. or this over again, just not sure which one...hmm. :?
Lockdown

LD

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 03, 2005, 12:26:52 PM »

Thanks TML.  That was a great little writeup.  Perhaps when the anit-cheating thing goes in I will check this out.  I really had fun with the first CoD in multiplayer (liked the killcam in that too).  I was interested in the HQ Mode, and you made it sound pretty great.

Appreciate it bro.

LD

LD

"Let your enemies fear, for a harlequin of the Laughing God dances at your side."
mikeg

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: November 03, 2005, 12:47:02 PM »

Yeah, I need to give the multi a try myself, but I can't stand those spawn-camping idiots.  That is what ruined the first multi for me. I like how FEAR took care of that by having mutiple spawning points and you never spawn in the same spot each time.  I also like how BF2 does it where you can pick where you want to spawn.

That King of the Hill thing sounds very fun though.  Will try it tonight and see.

I am Xboxalot on Live.
Maggot
Gaming Trend Reader

Calculating Infinity

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 03, 2005, 03:39:43 PM »

I like the game...
The voice acting is cool and it all runs very smooth...

But i must say that the graphics isnt that good... They are not like doom or hl2 but they are still great and long over the first CoD.....
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 03, 2005, 06:44:19 PM »

Quote from: "Maggot"
I like the game...
The voice acting is cool and it all runs very smooth...

But i must say that the graphics isnt that good... They are not like doom or hl2 but they are still great and long over the first CoD.....

I think you are crazy new guy smile At least in Single Player, with almost everything turned up and graphics res at 1280x800 on my WS monitor, COD2 might be the most detailed, gorgeous, pretty, etc game I have ever played.
skystride

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 03, 2005, 07:13:55 PM »

Quote from: "TheMissingLink"
It's probably the most realistic shooter I've played online.  I mean, yeah, CS feels realistic, Operation Flashpoint is like, the God of realistic shooters, but I really feel like a normal soldier when I play online.

This statement is confusing me.  From all I've read thus far, I was under the impression that CoD2 is even less realistic than CoD1.  Having played the CoD2 demo, that seems to be the case.  So are you saying MP is a completely different animal?  I love realistic MP shooters (Raven Shield is one my favourites).  Can you kill someone with 1 headshot with any weapon?
TheMissingLink

TML, for short.

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 03, 2005, 08:33:20 PM »

skystride, I haven't played any CoD1 MP.  Interesting you bring up Raven Shield - I put in some multiplayer with that.  CoD2 feels a little faster than RS.  In CoD2, I have been hit with a headshot from a Thompson and have died in a shot - so yeah, I BELIEVE, headshots kill from every weapon.  I know that with a Kar you can put someone down with one shot, but if you hit them in the leg or something, better reload quickly because they'll survive it.

I can't help you out on the CoD1-CoD2 comparisons, unfortunately.  But if I were to rank RS and CoD2, I'd say that RS was a little more realistic.

TheMissingLink on PSN
siege

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 03, 2005, 08:33:50 PM »

Quote from: "skystride"
Quote from: "TheMissingLink"
It's probably the most realistic shooter I've played online.  I mean, yeah, CS feels realistic, Operation Flashpoint is like, the God of realistic shooters, but I really feel like a normal soldier when I play online.

Can you kill someone with 1 headshot with any weapon?

Yes.
skystride

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 04, 2005, 03:31:58 PM »

I ended up picking up the game last night.  Even though I've only played for 30 mins, I am really impressed.  Just in the first two missions alone, there were some great moments (the tension as you wait for the Germans to rush your position as they emerge through the smoke, the building blowing up).  I was a bit hesitant to buy the game because of some of the lukewarm reviews but I'm really glad now that I did.  Sweet graphics and it runs very well on my AMD64 3200 6800 Geforce.  Can't wait to try out MP.
Sparhawk

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 05, 2005, 08:17:52 PM »

My main complaint is not being able to save anywhere, because there is one area in the russian campaign that is VERY annoying. The part where you have to hunt down the panzer tanks and place explosives on them.

I swear, where the hell are the regular checkpoints on this one? BEcause after destroying the first tank (and it can be a chore to do just that) there is NOT a check point. So you're going after the next tank, which is harder to get to and if you die, you have to start ALL over again. I've tried this part about 30 times and still can't get by it.

PSN: Kal_Torok
Xbox Live: Sparhawk GT
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 05, 2005, 11:58:57 PM »

Quote from: "Sparhawk"
My main complaint is not being able to save anywhere, because there is one area in the russian campaign that is VERY annoying. The part where you have to hunt down the panzer tanks and place explosives on them.

I swear, where the hell are the regular checkpoints on this one? BEcause after destroying the first tank (and it can be a chore to do just that) there is NOT a check point. So you're going after the next tank, which is harder to get to and if you die, you have to start ALL over again. I've tried this part about 30 times and still can't get by it.

Yeah, its an annoying, almost unforgiveable omission because you know it can be done from COD1. I almost htink its because they were worried it would break the scripting but thats not true because of how COD1 worked...so, yeah, its just a stupid, console-style move that just pisses of loyal PC fans. Fortunatley, the auto saves are you usually every few minutes. Idont really remember the part you are referencing, but I am suprised it doesnt save in between. Let me give you a general panzer hunting trick. Drop smoke right on the tank, charge through, plant your explosives, fine a wall, go prone, and wait for the boom smile Good luck.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: