http://gamingtrend.com
October 21, 2014, 08:47:17 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Call of Duty 2 demo to be released today  (Read 1975 times)
siege
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: September 26, 2005, 07:21:05 PM »

According to http://news.gaminghorizon.com/media2/1127760180.2408.html

Should be fun!
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2005, 07:32:15 PM »

Confirmed this with my Activision rep.  biggrin  I'm stoked!

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
AgtFox

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2005, 07:37:07 PM »

Woo!  Loved the first one and can't wait to see how they've upgraded for the new one.

Xbox Live: AgtFox
TheMissingLink

TML, for short.

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2005, 08:24:02 PM »

This and Day of Defeat: Source on the same day!?  Talk about some good WW2 action, whoo!

And it says it'll be released at 3pm pacific.  JUST when DoD:S will be available to play, JEEEEEEEZ!

TheMissingLink on PSN
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2005, 09:55:55 PM »

Excuse my language but
Spoiler for Hiden:
fuck me running!!!
. Thats effing metal! This is one of my most anticipated games.
RedJak
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2005, 10:07:09 PM »

Downloading now....slowly.
whiteboyskim
Senior Staff Writer

Hard partier

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2005, 10:18:34 PM »

Between this and DoD: Source unlocking tonight, I think the internet might just break.

Behold the glory of my new blog!
Filmmaking is vision plus faith plus balls, all 3 of which Hollywood knows little about.
AgtFox

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2005, 10:27:09 PM »

...only 665MB or something like that.

Gamespot is downloading at over 600KB/s

Xbox Live: AgtFox
mikeg

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2005, 11:47:16 PM »

Just completed the demo and it was very fun.  I got the feeling that my pc was barely running it.  Kind of gave me eye strain a tad because of the frame rate most likely.  Very playable and fun.  Just an observation.  I had it set to 10x7, no antiA, and everything else default.  My 2.6g, 1meg ram, 6600gt 128meg ran it fairly well.

As for gameplay it all seemed scripted just like the previous installments, but I did notice the enemy trying to flank me and my men, so I circled around to head them off and wiped out a whole squad as they came around the back corner of a building.  I liked the grenades.  They seemed adequately explosive enough.  And the weapons had nice kick and excellent sound to them.  Ofcourse, this is CoD and sound was never in question.  The friendly squad members seemed to be about the same from previous renditions.  As for the graphics-what can I say, they are greatly improved.  I think the Xbox 360 version will look better than my pc and I will get it for that system because I don't want to mess with patches and whatnot.  

Should be fun and I can't imagine a WW2 fan not enjoying it.  If you are tired of this genre, the ignore it because you will still be tired of it after playing.  Nothing too revolutionary here imo, just prettier and busier.  My two cents.  

Fun.

I am Xboxalot on Live.
Daehawk

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 27, 2005, 12:08:27 AM »

Ive been dloading the demo for 2 hours now. its going at 40k...seems every site i tried was 30-60k. Usually I can get nearly 400k.

---------------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.

Check my trader rating. Im 22+ and zero negs. Trade with me! smile
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: September 27, 2005, 12:36:38 AM »

My...God.  On the 7800 GT at max resolution with all bells and whistles this thing is phenominal!  *drool*

I did notice that when I played through a second time I got different placement of enemies - some things appear to be scripted (door) but others not so much.

Edit: By the way - I waited in line with Fileplanet and got the thing at 200k/sec

Ron Burke
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 27, 2005, 01:04:43 AM »

So, is this one supposed to be longer than the time it takes to get the demo?  Tongue   That was a big turn-off for me with the original game, watching my roomate beat it in one sitting.  I was pluggin away at KotOR at the time, and remember watching him start it up, occasionally glancing over, stopping to watch the beginning of the Russian level , and hearing him say 'that's it?'.  Maybe if I hadn't witnessed that I would have rushed out to buy it and not complained....

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: September 27, 2005, 01:13:41 AM »

Took me an hour to get the demo - the demo took me about 10 very intense minutes to beat it.  There are 27 missions in the full game, so 270 minutes lets say = 4.5 hours.    The real fun will be in the multiplayer though. smile  I know I must have put a full 45.0 hours into that in the original!

Ron Burke
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
whiteboyskim
Senior Staff Writer

Hard partier

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 27, 2005, 01:36:21 AM »

Oddly enough, I never played the multiplayer portion of CoD. I just kept ratcheting up the difficulty in the single player and burning through that instead. Good God I love that game, except for most of the British campaign. The "defend the bridge" portion was one of the most perfect "You're in a movie!" feeling levels of any game I've ever played. Maybe I'll give the MP a whirl soon. smile Anyone up for it or have a dedicated server?

Behold the glory of my new blog!
Filmmaking is vision plus faith plus balls, all 3 of which Hollywood knows little about.
stiffler

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: September 27, 2005, 02:00:04 AM »

Quote from: "whiteboyskim"
Good God I love that game, except for most of the British campaign. The "defend the bridge" portion was one of the most perfect "You're in a movie!" feeling levels of any game I've ever played. Maybe I'll give the MP a whirl soon. smile Anyone up for it or have a dedicated server?

That was an EXCELLENT part of that game.  For all the people that complained about how CoD blatently ripped off movies, well I say the game is better for it!  I loved being part of Enemy at the Gates during the opening of the Russian campaign, I loved "playing" Band of Brothers, and I enjoyed the hectic pace of that bridge mission.  I was sweating bullets in that level when the tanks started flanking us!

I for one am not sick of the WWII genre (having avoinded the crap games set there) and look forward to this one on both PC and 360 (they are different, I believe).  I just hope they find more great cinematic moments to mine for ideas, or at least come up with some fun set pieces like those mentioned above.

Xbox Live Gamertag: cstiffler
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 27, 2005, 02:10:59 AM »

I have dled the demo, but not played it. I just wanted to chime in and say I was addicted to CoD multiplayer for a while. The Christmas after it was released I seriously did nothing but play that game for my entire winter break.
Daehawk

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 27, 2005, 03:26:47 AM »

Theres so many of these 3 letter WW2 games I can never sort them out in my head..CoD, Cowhatever, BiA and the rest...I just remember liking Cosomething a lot. The shotgun in MP was a blast and some of the maps were just right for MP.

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 27, 2005, 04:17:38 AM »

Quote from: "Daehawk"
Theres so many of these 3 letter WW2 games I can never sort them out in my head..CoD, Cowhatever, BiA and the rest...I just remember liking Cosomething a lot. The shotgun in MP was a blast and some of the maps were just right for MP.

Perhaps you are referring to MoH (Medal of Honor) which had a shottie in it.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
skystride

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 27, 2005, 05:18:48 PM »

Loved CoH single player.  Tried MP but it just seemed MOTS especially if you've played a lot of similar MP FPS.  I would love to see some clever modes like in Wolfenstein: ET, that was the most brilliant (free!) MP FPS I have ever played.
Sarkus

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 27, 2005, 06:25:16 PM »

Quote from: "stiffler"
I for one am not sick of the WWII genre (having avoinded the crap games set there) and look forward to this one on both PC and 360 (they are different, I believe).  

All indications I've seen are that the PC and 360 versions are the same game.  There is a new console CoD coming out, but only on the older consoles.  360 gets the PC game.

Roger: And you should know, I have no genitals.
Syndey: That's alright.  I have both.

- American Dad
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: September 27, 2005, 06:29:56 PM »

That is correct Sarkus.  The other game for current consoles is Call of Duty: Big Red One.

Ron Burke
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
Daehawk

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 27, 2005, 06:42:42 PM »

Quote from: "CeeKay"
Quote from: "Daehawk"

Perhaps you are referring to MoH (Medal of Honor) which had a shottie in it.

YES! Thats it..could'nt think of it. I loved that game.

stiffler

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: September 27, 2005, 10:29:59 PM »

Quote from: "Sarkus"
All indications I've seen are that the PC and 360 versions are the same game.  There is a new console CoD coming out, but only on the older consoles.  360 gets the PC game.

Thanks, that must be it.

Just checked the database here at CG.  Call of Duty 2 will be on PC and 360 while Call of Duty 2: Big Red One hits Xbox, PS2, and Cube.

Xbox Live Gamertag: cstiffler
TheMissingLink

TML, for short.

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 27, 2005, 10:47:48 PM »

Pretty fun demo, typical Call of Duty stuff, though.

TheMissingLink on PSN
naednek
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 27, 2005, 10:54:37 PM »

It's very hard to die on the normal difficulty.  Felt like a console game at that level.  Graphics were good, don't think they were great, but definetly an improvement over the original.  I think I've reached that point of getting tired of this genre.  Hell, my video gaming time is pretty nonexistent these days.
DamageInc

Starts with s and ends with litting their throats

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 27, 2005, 11:31:25 PM »

It ran nice, and I liked the demo although it was very short.
I will probably wait to play this on the 360 though

The freaks come out at nine and it's twenty to ten
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 28, 2005, 12:39:40 AM »

I love it!! Its fantastic. Make no mistake, its still Call of Duty, but its Call of Duty to the next level. The graphics are astounding, truly phenomenal, with incredible heat shimmers, lighting effects, awesome smoke effects, great character models, explosions, the whole nine yards. The sound is, as you would expect from COD, is phenomenal. The mission was fun too-short, like 15 minutes short, but really fun. Enemy placement changed a bit on second run-through, but not much-still a ton of scripting, which I have no problem with since its so damn well scripted. Either way, I can't wait for the full version to come out, I think its going to be great. Oh, forgot to mention they have made the weapons fire and sound a bit more realistic-at least they did some work on the MP-32 and the Thompson.

The only downside-normal difficulty is way too easy-its very very console influenced. Plus, I dont like how you dont have a numerical health display anymore-and your character avatar doesn't change color or anything either, so you are always just guessing how mcuh damage you have taken and how much more you can take-maybe thats more realistic, but its pretty stupid in an action game. Either way, putting the game on hard makes it play much, much better and makes it a real challenge.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: