http://gamingtrend.com
April 24, 2014, 08:29:59 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: By Request! Zelda Impressions!  (Read 10604 times)
Andrew Mallon
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: November 24, 2006, 05:54:29 PM »

Over the last week I've put in about 7 hours into Zelda and I have to say that I am convinced that the game is everything it's hyped up to be. Having said that, let me establish my street cred before I am accused of being a slavering Nintendo fanboy gazing back on my youth through rose colored glasses. I never played a Nintendo game until a few years ago. I was in college when the NES was released, My first Nintendo console was a GameCube and the first Nintendo games I ever played were Eternal Darkness and Metroid Prime. The only Zelda games I've played prior to this are Wind Waker and The Minish Cap.

So with that out of the way, let's get back to how f'n amazing this game is. From the very first scene, I was surprised at just how melancholy the tone for the game is. The game starts ominously and gets even more ominous as it goes on. The game has the tone of Ladyhawke (and even some of the same plot elements) and its art design borrows liberally from The Lord Of The Rings films.

Regarding the graphics, I'm playing this on a 42'' HDTV with the included composite cables. I did have an initial disappointment phase when I firs booted the game up. My first thought was that the game looked worse than Wind Waker. After fiddling with my TV settings, I was able to get to the point where I though the image quality was reasonably acceptable. It helps that Nintendo includes a calibration screen when the game loads. I highly recommend that people take the time to fiddle with their TVs, especially if you're using composite. Luckily, my TV has an option for saving the settings in different profiles, so I only had to do this once.

Even more than the quality of the graphics, I was initially disappointed by the game's art style. I love games with distinctive art styles, like Wind Waker, Okami, and Prince of Persia. At first it seemed as if the art design of the opening village was ordinary. All that was swept aside when I got to the Twilight ream. The graphics in the Twilight Realm are very similar to Okami, although more understated and atmospheric, and I think Zelda does it better. You haven't really played th game yet until you get to the Twilight realm.

Of course, the biggest question in the game is how does it control? The Wiimote is awesome in a game like this, not because of the motion sensing controls, but simply because the controller is broken into two pieces. It' amazing how much more comfortable it is to play the game for extended periods, especially in an RPG-like game, where there's a lot of down time. When I'm in a village running around talking to people it's nice to just have one arm hanging to the side occasionally pressing the A button on the remote while the other arm is resting on the chair arm moving the character with the Nunchuk. Even if there was no motion sensing at all in the controller, breaking it into two pieces would be a nice innovation in its own right.

The controller does have motion sensing in it though, and it's well integrated into the game. The game only requires small motons during combat and fishing and it works really well. In fact, there's really not much more to say about it. It's a testament to how well the controls are implemented when it feels as natural as a normal control scheme. 

There's more that I want to talk about regarding this game, but I'll stop for mow with a warning: don't read the prologue in the manual until you get to the Twilight realm. The prologue basically describes the first three or four hours of the game and I would've been mad if I read it before I started the game.

Fantastic game worth buying a Wii for? Absolutely. BEST GAME EVAR? We'll see.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2006, 06:04:47 PM by Andrew Mallon » Logged
JCC

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2006, 06:08:00 PM »

Thanks Andrew. I have Zelda and I have Wii component cables. I just need the damn Wii and I can start playing this!

PS - If you liked Minish Cap... please do yourself a favor and pick up A link to the Past for the GBA. One of the best games, ever. And while MC is quite good, it pales by comparison.

-John

XBox Live ID: "JCC Davros"
siege

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2006, 06:13:32 PM »

I'm about 27 hours in myself and I can easily say it's the best game I've played all year and it's quickly becoming one of my all time favorites. It starts off kinda slow, but once you get past the 3rd dungeon, oh boy does it get good.
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2006, 06:22:48 PM »

I've gotten past the first two 'dungeons' and I've enjoyed every minute of my 10 or so hour playtime (forgot what it said exactly). Fighting, while simplistic (just swing one or both of the controllers from side to side, as well as hitting another set of buttons to dodge/roll/lock onto your target), is a ton of fun with the Wii controls. It just works somehow, drawing you in further into the game.

The controller is highly accurate as well for long distance attacks. I can quickly get into position and whip out a precise long range attack and then defend myself with my shield. It just feels so natural and it just works.

As far as the graphics go - while they don't compare with the 360's level of detail at all, the game just oozes the love the developers put into the game. Characters have that lovable quality to them, and the world is grand in scope.

Dungeon design is spot on so far in the two I've completed. They make you think (as in previous games), and they're fun to run around in. And the boss fights will not disappoint.

Overall, this is the true sequel to Zelda 64 in every way, shape, and form. If you loved that game, you'll love this one.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2006, 06:45:13 PM »

Quote from: JCC on November 24, 2006, 06:08:00 PM

PS - If you liked Minish Cap... please do yourself a favor and pick up A link to the Past for the GBA. One of the best games, ever. And while MC is quite good, it pales by comparison.

I actually like Minish Cap more.  I loved LTTP, too, though.  Then again, I also didn't play LttP upon initial release (it was actually 2003 *after* I played OOT), so that might have skewed my viewpoint. 
unbreakable
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2006, 06:50:55 PM »

I haven't played a non-SNES LttP, but have played Minnish Cap.  They were both fun as heck, but the LttP is simply hard to beat just because of what a great game it is.

I'm really stoked to play the latest Zelda!
depward

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2006, 10:25:34 PM »

Thought I'd add my $.02 here...

I'm really surprised just how awesome the Wiimote works.  It feels natural after an hour of play.  I've put in around 4 hours so far and I'm quite impressed with the graphics, music, art direction, all of that stuff.  From a launch game perspective, this could stand to be one of the greats.

That is allllll!

depward on the Playstation Network
raaaaaawwwwwwr on Xbox Live
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2006, 10:38:27 PM »

Quote from: depward on November 24, 2006, 10:25:34 PM

Thought I'd add my $.02 here...

I'm really surprised just how awesome the Wiimote works.  It feels natural after an hour of play.  I've put in around 4 hours so far and I'm quite impressed with the graphics, music, art direction, all of that stuff.  From a launch game perspective, this could stand to be one of the greats.

That is allllll!

Really glad you are enjoying it bro!!
Lee

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2006, 11:37:25 PM »

I bought the hint book. :icon_confused: Found out I missed a howling stone to teach me the shield attack, and two heart pieces. I think I am going to start over. icon_neutral
siege

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 26, 2006, 12:00:25 AM »

Quote from: Lee on November 25, 2006, 11:37:25 PM

I bought the hint book. :icon_confused: Found out I missed a howling stone to teach me the shield attack, and two heart pieces. I think I am going to start over. icon_neutral

Why? You can just go back to the stuff you missed.
pricecs
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: November 26, 2006, 12:01:29 AM »

Just finished the 1st dungeon - it's been a while since I've been compelled to play past 3am (and this bad boy has 'save anywhere'

I agree with Andrew - the initial feeling of the graphics was a letdown, it's a little brown and dull, but the story \ controls soon suck you in and the immersion gets pretty encompassing...

Chris.
Lee

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 26, 2006, 12:43:07 AM »

Quote from: siege on November 26, 2006, 12:00:25 AM

How, the spot I was in the twilight in wolf form? The area is no longer in the twilight, will that matter?
siege

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 26, 2006, 12:44:52 AM »

Quote from: Lee on November 26, 2006, 12:43:07 AM

Quote from: siege on November 26, 2006, 12:00:25 AM

How, the spot I was in the twilight in wolf form? The area is no longer in the twilight, will that matter?

Nope.
Lee

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 26, 2006, 12:47:18 AM »

Ok cool thanks, but now I can't go back in to wolf form until I finish the mines I guess, so it will be awhile. icon_frown
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 26, 2006, 01:38:26 AM »

you must play

zelda:a link to the past(now available for GBA)
zelda:ocarina of time(originally for the N64)
zelda:majoras mask(originally for the N64)

the 2 64 titles are fantastic,there was a promotion going on when i got my gamecube and you got 4 zelda adventures on one gamecube disc...the first 2 were the old nes adventures(numbers 1 and 2)the second 2 were ocarina and majoras mask(shows how much you really could fit on a gamecube disc)...and after playing and finishing the 2 N64 titles on the gamecube(i oroginally played them on the N64) i can still say that they are the best

i also enjoyed wind waker a lot,although a lot of people hated it(i am guessing because of the cartoonish graphics,i thought they were cool).....but the new zelda i am really looking forward to,the game and the wii come out here on the 8th december(less that 2 weeks)...and thats when i will be able to play...cant wait

thanks for the impressions,now i am even more excited to play this game

Manchester United Premier League Champions 2013!!

Xbox LIVE:Metallicorphan
Wii:8565 1513 0206 1960
PSN:Metallicorphan
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: November 26, 2006, 03:49:45 AM »

Shield Attack? Wha, who, what? Care to Spoiler the info for us who want to know?

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 26, 2006, 07:09:24 AM »

thanks for the warning,i am now gonna buy the hint book....who publishes it?...bradygames?

and cant you go back?....are past places cut off to you once you progress?

Manchester United Premier League Champions 2013!!

Xbox LIVE:Metallicorphan
Wii:8565 1513 0206 1960
PSN:Metallicorphan
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: November 26, 2006, 01:46:22 PM »

Okay... I did a bit of digging around for the Shield Attack thing, and yes, you can go back at nearly anytime to acquire it. It didn't many any sense for a Zelda game not to allow you to backtrack and pick up things you've missed, and as I thought, I was right.

And don't worry - you can backtrack to the whole world once you get past certain things (at least it's that way for me so far). Obviously, when you're in wolf form, getting around the world is a tad harder (and easier at the same time).

The Grue

You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 26, 2006, 02:56:16 PM »

I have no hint book and found the shield attack and more from those stones.  However, I am all kinds of awesome.  icon_lol

XBox Live ID: The Grue
Playstation Network Name: TheGrue
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: November 26, 2006, 04:19:53 PM »

And I picked up the Shield Attack as well. Unfortunately, while I've opened up another 'secret move', I can't get to the place where I can pick it up, as I'm sorta trapped in my current area. Off I go to continue exploring.

Lee

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 26, 2006, 05:29:46 PM »

Quote from: Destructor on November 26, 2006, 04:19:53 PM

And I picked up the Shield Attack as well. Unfortunately, while I've opened up another 'secret move', I can't get to the place where I can pick it up, as I'm sorta trapped in my current area. Off I go to continue exploring.

You can pick it up when you are back in human form.

And thanks for the info guys.
JCC

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 26, 2006, 07:41:52 PM »

I am in the early goings (still haven't left the village for Hyrule but I think I am about to). I am loving it. It feels a lot like Ocarina as reported. I am still adjusting to the controls, but after initially hating swinging the remote to do the sword it is becoming intuitve and is actually quite fun. I love being able to instantly do a spin attack, and it just feels like a more actiony high paced game to be doing it with gestures. I think the graphics look fantastic on my 50" plasma. Yes the terrain textures are low res, but I am loving the art and the characters/monsters have all looked great. Fun times!

-John

Andrew Mallon

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 27, 2006, 05:38:27 AM »

Quote from: The Grue on November 26, 2006, 02:56:16 PM

I have no hint book and found the shield attack and more from those stones.  However, I am all kinds of awesome.  icon_lol

I'm all kinds of awesome too. Just found it, although to be honest  the only reason I paid any attention to it was because I thought one of those insects was hiding in it.
depward

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 27, 2006, 05:54:35 AM »

I'm loving this game.  About 9 hours in now and it's just ... insanely good.  How they continue to craft engaging, memorable & mind-challenging (to the point where you need to think 'outside the box' more so than other kinds of adventure games) Zelda games is beyond me.  Sure the graphics might not be screaming, "NEXT GEN!", but the Twilight sections are so atmospheric I could care less how many polygons are on the screen compared to the art direction and such.  The controls are implemented so well it becomes second nature.  The game just oozes personality... which every Zelda game always seems to do.

This is the game to get if you have a Wii.  This is the game that will make you realize just how conventional the wiimote can be.

depward on the Playstation Network
raaaaaawwwwwwr on Xbox Live
siege

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 27, 2006, 06:36:02 AM »

I'm almost finished. About 40 hours in and I have 2 dungeons to go I believe. The game really is fantastic.
Lee

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 27, 2006, 07:33:18 AM »

Quote from: depward on November 27, 2006, 05:54:35 AM

I'm loving this game.  About 9 hours in now and it's just ... insanely good.  How they continue to craft engaging, memorable & mind-challenging (to the point where you need to think 'outside the box' more so than other kinds of adventure games) Zelda games is beyond me.  Sure the graphics might not be screaming, "NEXT GEN!", but the Twilight sections are so atmospheric I could care less how many polygons are on the screen compared to the art direction and such.  The controls are implemented so well it becomes second nature.  The game just oozes personality... which every Zelda game always seems to do.

This is the game to get if you have a Wii.  This is the game that will make you realize just how conventional the wiimote can be.

Completely agree. I get so into the game I don't even notice that the graphics aren't "gext gen".
Andrew Mallon

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 28, 2006, 12:41:57 AM »

I'm almost embarrassed at how long it took me to (1st Dungeon spoilers)
Spoiler for Hiden:
Figure out the correct order to spin the four windmills to open the gate to the chest with the boss key in it. I must've stared at the solution about ten times in the span of ten minutes before the obvious kicked in. The only way they could've made the solution more obvious is to hit me over the head with a frying pan.

This is why love these games. The "Eureka!" epiphany followed by the "I can't believe I'm such an idiot to miss that!" moment.
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: November 28, 2006, 01:58:29 AM »

Quote from: Andrew Mallon on November 28, 2006, 12:41:57 AM

This is why love these games. The "Eureka!" epiphany followed by the "I can't believe I'm such an idiot to miss that!" moment.

Yeah, that's what makes these games so good. They make you think and feel so good once you figure out what you're doing.

JCC

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 28, 2006, 02:16:33 AM »

I'm 12 hours in and through the first 2 dungeons, and all I will say is that this goregous game is awesome.

-John

Andrew Mallon

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 29, 2006, 04:03:02 PM »

16 hours in here and I just beat the boss in the Goron mines. I'm not quite finished with the mines yet, though, as I never found the chest containing the treasure map. I want to find that to ensure that I didn't miss anything important in the dungeon.
siege

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: November 29, 2006, 05:44:34 PM »

You guys are in for a treat. I finished the game this morning and it is bloody fantastic. For the first time in a long time, I was surprised that a developer actually spent time coming up with a good ending. It ties everything up nicely and is actually emotional.

I'm still on that high you get after beating a great game, but I don't think I'm going too far by saying it's one of the greatest games made. I'm ready to go through it all again.
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: November 29, 2006, 05:55:34 PM »

Quote from: siege on November 29, 2006, 05:44:34 PM

I'm still on that high you get after beating a great game, but I don't think I'm going too far by saying it's one of the greatest games made. I'm ready to go through it all again.

Wow. Just...wow.

Just finished the 3rd Dungeon myself. Not only is the boss fight awesome (VERY big Shadow of Colossus feel to it, just like the first boss was), but what happens afterwards really made me want to push forward. Unfortunately my blasted job called and now I'm here posting how much I absolutely love the game so far.

JCC

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 29, 2006, 08:32:42 PM »

I'm halfway through the 3rd dungeon and it's clear something big (and probably bad) will happen afterwards. I am giddy with excitement to find out what!

This game rules.

-John

Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 29, 2006, 09:01:07 PM »

So...hard....to...wait...until....Christmas....

I'm have to tempted to exercise a "loophole" and grab the Cube version in two weeks but I guess I'll wait, as painful as it may be...
The Grue

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: December 03, 2006, 11:33:30 PM »

Okay, I just finished this tonight.  Great game and is probably my favorite of the Zeldas, though I enjoyed the ending to Wind Waker better.

ROTC1983

Is it really that Kampfy?

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: December 03, 2006, 11:54:54 PM »

I have a question....

Spoiler for Hiden:
After the second dungeon, you need the bombs to open up the way to the next area, right?  If yes, I need to farm some rupees since I picked up the hawk eyes and the new shield.

The Grue

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: December 04, 2006, 01:07:55 AM »

Quote from: ROTC1983 on December 03, 2006, 11:54:54 PM

I have a question....

Spoiler for Hiden:
After the second dungeon, you need the bombs to open up the way to the next area, right?  If yes, I need to farm some rupees since I picked up the hawk eyes and the new shield.
Spoiler for Hiden:
The second dungeon was the lava, right?  Yeah, I believe you need those water bombs to get into the next place.  You have to sell your normal bombs to free open space to buy the water ones, so you can make some of the money doing that.

ROTC1983

Is it really that Kampfy?

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: December 04, 2006, 01:17:49 AM »

Quote from: The Grue on December 04, 2006, 01:07:55 AM

Quote from: ROTC1983 on December 03, 2006, 11:54:54 PM

I have a question....

Spoiler for Hiden:
Spoiler for Hiden:
The second dungeon was the lava, right?  Yeah, I believe you need those water bombs to get into the next place.  You have to sell your normal bombs to free open space to buy the water ones, so you can make some of the money doing that.
Spoiler for Hiden:
I don't even have the bomb bag yet...I guess I need that to blow open the stones leading north into a new area, right?  Just making sure before I farm for no reason Tongue

Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #38 on: December 04, 2006, 03:13:41 AM »

I'm slowly (now at 28 hours I believe) working my way into the 5th dungeon. Loving every minute of it, and I'm constantly poking around finding things.

If only I could save the world just a tad faster...  icon_biggrin

WinoMcCougarstein

View Profile WWW
« Reply #39 on: December 04, 2006, 09:35:55 AM »

Just beat the boss of the third temple and wow, wow wow.  This is one of the greatest games of all time.

Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: