http://gamingtrend.com
September 20, 2014, 06:25:57 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:
 
   Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Burnout Revenge  (Read 9851 times)
0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
AgtFox
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Offline Offline

Posts: 3051


View Profile WWW
« on: September 07, 2005, 05:56:07 PM »

Anyone else excited by this upcoming game?  It should be out next Tuesday and I'm pretty pumped.  The PSP game is also coming out the same day and it supposedly combines things from the first 3 Burnout games, so it should be interesting to see if it is a good game or not.  It could be the first standout PSP game since the launch.
Logged

Xbox Live: AgtFox
Devil
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Offline Offline

Posts: 7742



View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2005, 06:15:19 PM »

PSP. IN!
Logged

XBox Gamertag: Devil13Devil
Wii Number: 0305 6568 6417 2609
PS3 Thing: Slived
Zarkon
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Offline Offline

Posts: 4848


View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2005, 06:22:23 PM »

Xbox IN!
Logged
Calvin
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Offline Offline

Posts: 13895

President of G.R.O.S.S.


View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2005, 07:29:49 PM »

Quote from: "AgtFox"
Anyone else excited by this upcoming game?  It should be out next Tuesday and I'm pretty pumped.  The PSP game is also coming out the same day and it supposedly combines things from the first 3 Burnout games, so it should be interesting to see if it is a good game or not.  It could be the first standout PSP game since the launch.


Rental for me man.
Logged
Tustin1
Gaming Trend Reader

Offline Offline

Posts: 133


View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2005, 09:47:18 PM »

PS2 for me - I'll wait on the PSP game - it should be stellar but sadly no online support.
Logged

My Current Sig.
Visit me at: Chunite
Darren8r
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Offline Offline

Posts: 1138


I like video games


View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2005, 09:49:27 PM »

Quote from: "Rage"
Quote from: "AgtFox"
Anyone else excited by this upcoming game?  It should be out next Tuesday and I'm pretty pumped.  The PSP game is also coming out the same day and it supposedly combines things from the first 3 Burnout games, so it should be interesting to see if it is a good game or not.  It could be the first standout PSP game since the launch.


Rental for me man.


Rental for me too.
Logged

Now Playing: Skyrim
PS3: Darrenzo- (don't forget the dash at the end)
AgtFox
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Offline Offline

Posts: 3051


View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2005, 10:29:18 PM »

Quote from: "Tustin1"
PS2 for me - I'll wait on the PSP game - it should be stellar but sadly no online support.
Hmmm...Gamespot's gold thing says "The game borrows race, time attack, road rage, pursuit, and crash modes, as well as multiplayer modes that use the PSP's wireless connectivity."
Logged

Xbox Live: AgtFox
Tustin1
Gaming Trend Reader

Offline Offline

Posts: 133


View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2005, 10:34:26 PM »

Quote from: "AgtFox"
Hmmm...Gamespot's gold thing says "The game borrows race, time attack, road rage, pursuit, and crash modes, as well as multiplayer modes that use the PSP's wireless connectivity."


Ad-Hoc is supported but no Infrastructure - Xlink will probably support it though - I just can't be bothered trying to figure it out.
Logged

My Current Sig.
Visit me at: Chunite
Dimmona
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Offline Offline

Posts: 1684


View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2005, 11:08:37 PM »

PSP preordered, locked, loaded.
Logged

Xbox Live tag: Dimmona
DS WiFi Friends Codes
Wii Code: 6091 9321 3340 8417
Xbox360 Gamer Card
adamsappel
Gaming Trend Reader

Offline Offline

Posts: 246


View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 07, 2005, 11:42:12 PM »

I'm getting both, but they're being shipped from a friend, so I have to wait.  :cry:
Logged

Xbox Live Gamertag: adamsappel
AgtFox
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Offline Offline

Posts: 3051


View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: September 08, 2005, 12:20:37 AM »

Quote from: "Tustin1"
Quote from: "AgtFox"
Hmmm...Gamespot's gold thing says "The game borrows race, time attack, road rage, pursuit, and crash modes, as well as multiplayer modes that use the PSP's wireless connectivity."


Ad-Hoc is supported but no Infrastructure - Xlink will probably support it though - I just can't be bothered trying to figure it out.

Gotcha...I don't have a PSP, so I didn't know.
Logged

Xbox Live: AgtFox
Chaz
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Offline Offline

Posts: 5212



View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 08, 2005, 03:29:56 AM »

Probably not for me, since I have no doubt that the typical EA catch-up AI will be there in full force, rendering all racing events essentially pointless.  I love the series to death, but the blatant cheating in 3 just killed it for me.
Logged

AgtFox
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Offline Offline

Posts: 3051


View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: September 08, 2005, 04:14:36 AM »

Quote from: "Chaz"
Probably not for me, since I have no doubt that the typical EA catch-up AI will be there in full force, rendering all racing events essentially pointless.  I love the series to death, but the blatant cheating in 3 just killed it for me.

I hate when people don't know the whole story.  Burnout and Burnout 2 were not even published by EA, they were published by Acclaim.  If you want to lay blame for the catch-up AI, lay blame with the developer.  Criterion has developed all 4 games, they also created RenderWare which is used on many games.

BTW...if the full game is anything like the demo on Madden 06, the catch-up logic wasn't there.  It was the same kind of difference from Midnight Club 2 to Midnight Club 3.  I don't know if the full version will have the catch-up logic though.
Logged

Xbox Live: AgtFox
markus
Gaming Trend Reader

Offline Offline

Posts: 151


View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 08, 2005, 03:42:26 PM »

I'm going to hold off on this one til I see if it will be supported on the 360.  I'm still seething over the revelation that game save data will not be transferrable to the 360 so I'll be damned if I'm going to get this and play it on my XBox just to lose all of my hard work (unless I want to leave my XBox hooked up, which I don't) when the 360 comes out and I have to start over.  That's if it's even supported on the 360 which I doubt if rumors of a 360 version of Burnout are true.
Logged
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Offline Offline

Posts: 18537



View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: September 08, 2005, 10:36:37 PM »

Xbox360 : IN!

The demo on the OXM disk sold me on it. You're now able to nudge traffic to cause accidents, and the collision with normal cars isn't *instant death*.... you also get the ability to blow up your car during a crash/aftertouch section.

The graphics are beefed up, the feeling of speed is better (I don't know HOW that's possible) and there are more alternate paths / shortcuts.

It's effen eh. (sound it out) biggrin

TOTALLY in.

Oh, and EBGAMES let me trade in 3 xbox1 games for the trade 3 for a free game (the SKU for BR/x360 is in their system). Woot!! 40CAD trade value = 75CAD game.
Logged

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
dandylife
Gaming Trend Reader

Offline Offline

Posts: 111


View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 09, 2005, 01:54:56 AM »

A review at IGN.  8.9

8.0 Presentation
Same great overall style, though grittier, with a better overall soundtrack and no commentary. (Yes!)
9.0 Graphics
One of the best looking games on any current console, though you'd expect that from a Burnout title.
9.5 Sound
This is the gaming showpiece for surround sound setups.
8.5 Gameplay
A few missteps means the game has lost a bit of the rush the series is known for, but it's still one of the best racers around.
9.5 Lasting Appeal
With a reasonably lengthy event mode, great online options and Crash junctions galore, this'll be in your system for a while.
8.9 OVERALL
(out of 10 / not an average)
Logged

U2K Tha Greate$t on the New Orleans flooding: "The issues that happen in NO, is well you aint blind, you know how satan do things, not only that, but did you ever think why the water couldnt go now where?"
rrmorton
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Offline Offline

Posts: 867


View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 13, 2005, 01:44:39 PM »

In on the Xbox. Can't wait! LOVE ME THE BURNOUT! Sounds like this one has more alternate routes, traffic takedowns, and jumps for vertical takedowns. Gamespot gave it a 9.1 review in which they said:

Quote
...overall, the game feels like it's quite a bit easier than Burnout 3 was. If you're the sort of person that broke through to 100 percent completion last time around, you might find the game to be a little too easy, in fact.


frown

Actually, maybe this will be good for my blood pressure and for keeping Amelia's toddler swear word vocabulary down to a minimum.

Quote
Additionally, there's no DJ during races.


PRAISE JESUS!

Quote
Burnout Revenge might not be the revolution that Burnout 3 was, but in the end, it changes more than enough to make it feel like a very different game. It's a technical marvel, but more importantly than that, it's one of the most exciting racing games ever made. Unless you don't have the reflexes to handle it, Burnout Revenge is a must-own game, especially for fans of online competition.

Ohhhhhh, SNAP! That sounded like a challenge. Did that sound like a challenge? I think that sounded like a challenge! Oh, it's on!
Logged
HankRaptor
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Offline Offline

Posts: 1208


View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: September 13, 2005, 02:50:25 PM »

I want this game, but Im confused.. Should I get the XBOX or PSP.....

This is all too much for me to handle. I look to my picture collection for comfort.

BTW- IS THIS PORNOGRAPHIC? I HAVE NO IDEA.

Logged

Wii Number 6291 3315 9378 1013
360- HankRaptor
PSN- HankRaptor
Crispin sees what you are doing and he is NONE TOO PLEASED.
Nth Power
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Offline Offline

Posts: 3451



View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 13, 2005, 09:40:14 PM »

I'm feelin' the need for some speed, so I'm definitely IN.
Logged

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities" -Voltaire
XBL gamertag: NthPowr
egrudzin
Gaming Trend Reader

Offline Offline

Posts: 199


View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 14, 2005, 02:13:31 AM »

Anybody know what the PS2 load times are like?  They were horrible in Burnout 3.  It toatally killed the fun of multiplayer for me.  My friends and I just gave up and put in Need for Speed.  It seemed like I spent more time loading than racing.  Was the XBOX version this bad as well?
Logged
AgtFox
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Offline Offline

Posts: 3051


View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: September 14, 2005, 02:15:46 AM »

There was a bit of loading with the Xbox, but there were certain places you could make the load less severe.  I wouldn't say the load times were excruciating by any means...I'd say Midnight Club 3 had worse loading than Burnout 3.
Logged

Xbox Live: AgtFox
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Offline Offline

Posts: 15574


Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.


View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 14, 2005, 03:24:19 AM »

A quick comment on a few versions:

The PSP version is not the same game (different name and everything).  Burnout Legends is more like a compilation of the first three games (though apparently it's most like #3).

There is an Xbox 360 version, but it isn't due until the 1st of March (if it doesn't get pushed back).  I, for one, won't be waiting that long.
Logged

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
Lockdown
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Offline Offline

Posts: 5587


LD


View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 14, 2005, 06:28:06 PM »

Picked it up today at lunch!  I went into the store expecting to hold firm, but instead I exhibited Devil-like willpower (aka None) and grabbed it.

Xbox version of course.

Anyone else who ends up caving like me, post here.  

If there's a few of us, we can set up a night to kick the crap out of each other online.   biggrin

Zoom Zoom!

LD
Logged

LD

"Let your enemies fear, for a harlequin of the Laughing God dances at your side."
Zarkon
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Offline Offline

Posts: 4848


View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: September 14, 2005, 06:41:30 PM »

Fry's has it on sale until Friday for $37.99.  

I'll be picking it up as soon as we get it in. biggrin
Logged
Tustin1
Gaming Trend Reader

Offline Offline

Posts: 133


View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 14, 2005, 06:44:29 PM »

Quote from: "egrudzin"
Anybody know what the PS2 load times are like?  They were horrible in Burnout 3.  It toatally killed the fun of multiplayer for me.  My friends and I just gave up and put in Need for Speed.  It seemed like I spent more time loading than racing.  Was the XBOX version this bad as well?


I've got the PS2 version of Burnout3 and simply love it - no long load times as far as I'm concerned - at least nothing long enough to kill the fun  :wink:
Logged

My Current Sig.
Visit me at: Chunite
rrmorton
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Offline Offline

Posts: 867


View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 14, 2005, 08:20:05 PM »

Just brought mine home and fired up the intro.

Is it wrong that I want to make sweet, passionate love with the husky-voiced announcer? She is so hot!
Logged
rrmorton
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Offline Offline

Posts: 867


View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 14, 2005, 08:43:20 PM »

Amazing game. The old addiction has come roaring back in only two gold medals.

My only complaint so far is that it isn't immediately apparent upon crossing the finish line if you achieved gold/silver/bronze or perfect/awesome/good star status. Maybe I'm missing something.

Sure I've only played it for 15 minutes, but this is the best racing game ever made.
Logged
Calvin
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Offline Offline

Posts: 13895

President of G.R.O.S.S.


View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 14, 2005, 08:44:50 PM »

What about the catchup logic Rob?
Logged
AgtFox
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Offline Offline

Posts: 3051


View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: September 14, 2005, 08:59:48 PM »

If I can get my hands on it after work I'll be playing this tonight!  Can't wait!
Logged

Xbox Live: AgtFox
rrmorton
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Offline Offline

Posts: 867


View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 14, 2005, 09:11:24 PM »

Quote from: "Rage"
What about the catchup logic Rob?


I'm the wrong guy to ask. It never bothered me since it's a crashing game, not a racing game. (Which means I should change my statement from "best racing game ever" to "best driving/crashing game ever".)

With Burnout 3: Takedown, as soon as I realized boosting is pointless unless you fall behind (not counting burning lap events) the game really clicked and I started loving it. So the AI never bothered me, though I can see how it might be an annoyance to others.

Jumping into Revenge is just like riding a bike. The controls are exactly the same and the drifting feels just right. I'm loving the new presentation. It's hyperslick and the trophies are very cool. I got my first vertical takedown! Woo hoo!

The new tracks look very good. Not sure I'm sold on the shortcut idea just yet but in pursuit of gold medals, you learn these tracks inside-out anyway so I guess they might as well add a little variety.

The EA Trax soundtrack is typically lame but with a sprinkling of decent songs (LCD Soundsystem, Bloc Party). I turned it off immediately and selected my Pixies/Arcade Fire/Talking Heads/Wedding Present soundtrack.

I'm very happy they got rid of the dumb powerups in Crash Mode. Those always seemed out of place. The new multiple-Crashbreaker system is promising.

They start you out in Traffic Takedown mode which is pure chaos. Quite often you can't see the road in front of you due to all the cars  and vans bouncing off your hood one after the next. You kinda feel bad for all those suckers just commuting to work.

And thank the lord there's no loser Crash FM DJ this time, just the sultry chick from the intro.

This game consumes me like no other. There's just something about the ultrafast sense of speed and the almost magnetic attraction of a pair of headlights on the horizon pulling you towards it, tempting you to shave past it for added boost but at the risk of slamming right into it in a head-on collision. Success is so sweet and addictive while failure is visceral, like a punch to the gut. That's why you have to play it LOUD so those crashes rattle your brain.

Driving game fans, can you say Biggest No-Brainer Purchase Ever?
Logged
Lockdown
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Offline Offline

Posts: 5587


LD


View Profile
« Reply #30 on: September 14, 2005, 11:58:19 PM »

Damn it Devil - I hope you read Rob's praise before heading to the video store!!!

If you pickup the version for your gameboy instead of this....


LD  :x
Logged

LD

"Let your enemies fear, for a harlequin of the Laughing God dances at your side."
Devil
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Offline Offline

Posts: 7742



View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 15, 2005, 01:32:20 AM »

Just got home and, yeah - I got it for my little 'game boy' - ya bastid!

Maybe I'll grab it for Xbox too...

You guys suck!  :wink:
Logged

XBox Gamertag: Devil13Devil
Wii Number: 0305 6568 6417 2609
PS3 Thing: Slived
Lockdown
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Offline Offline

Posts: 5587


LD


View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 15, 2005, 01:48:32 AM »

Did widdle devil decide on gettin' the game for his widdle game-boy?  How cute....  coochy, coochy, coochy, coo!  Picachu - I choose you!

------

Just ran 3 races.  Wow !!!!

Talk about movin' quick-like.... this game is fast!

First race = 249 cars taken down.  Perfect and Awesome rating.  I'm practicing to send you back to the abyss boston-boy!  

I laughed out loud at least 4 times during my first 2 races.  This game makes a really good first impression.

The one negative so far: EA's online system.  connected me twice AND locked up trying to connect me twice.  (I'm assuming it's on EA's end anyway).  This company baffles me sometimes.  It's probably just cause it was release day though.  I'm guessing it will get better.

More to come.

LD
Logged

LD

"Let your enemies fear, for a harlequin of the Laughing God dances at your side."
AgtFox
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Offline Offline

Posts: 3051


View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: September 15, 2005, 02:28:40 AM »

My sum up: Buy this game if you liked Burnout 3 at all, because it is better!

I know a lot of people are wondering how the AI is.  From the races I have done so far I can tell you that the computer makes mistakes and will run into oncoming traffic from time to time.  Once you are in the lead they don't seem to be right on your tail, but if you don't use boost when you have it they will catch up.

There is no time screen to see how far back they were and there is no replay available like there was in Burnout 3, but I would say although the rubberband AI may still be present (I'm reserving judgement) that it doesn't pose as strong of a threat as it did in Burnout 3.

You also have more options open to you even though this game moves a heck of a lot faster than Burnout 3.  You can hit non-controlled cars into the computer AI cars, you can crash and use aftertouch to hit them (they no longer whiz right by, they will attempt to get by you but you have more of a chance to hit them...I hit 3 cars behind me in one crash).

Boost is given very liberally.  You hit cars going the same way as you, you get some boost and you can also get boost by bumping or side pushing into an AI car as well as the usual ways you get boost.  Be warned that if you take a shortcut that there is no boost available there so you may come out of the shortcut on the short end of the stick with boost.

This time around you go through levels.  You get star points at each event you do.  There is a 4 star rating for how you drove (OK, Good, Great, Awesome) and if you get a Gold medal you get a 5th star if you get Awesome on the event.  This goes toward getting a higher ranking and opening up more events.

The music and sound effects are lots better than Burnout 3.  The EA Trax is actually something I would listen to as it isn't rap heavy or anything.  The sound effects, especially on a Dolby Digital 5.1 system are powerful.  You hear things whiz by you and when you crash, you can almost feel it.

The graphics are improved as well, but I think most of you know that.  Load times are roughly the same on the Xbox as Burnout 3, so I will guess the PS2 loads may be longer again for the person that asked.  The cool thing is on crashes you get a look ahead and then the screen goes reddish and blurry and reverses back to the start.  If you retry the crash it will back up the same way to the beginning of the race.

This game also unlocks a car if you have a Burnout 3 save and the Madden van (sounds lame, but it does a lot of damage in crash events) if you have a Madden 06 save.  One more thing about the crash events.  You have a boost bar at the beginning where you have to hit the "sweet spot" both high and low and you get a great boost...if you screw up you could have no boost going into the traffic or your engine could blow up and then you hear laughter.

This game so far is damn good and I think the rubberband AI, if it is there, is not as prevalent.  I easily won 2 of the races I've been in (including a Grand Prix) while others have been close where I just overtook #1 with a Takedown or zoomed past him toward the end.  There was one time the #2 car caught up to me at the end, but I blocked him out.  I didn't have any boost, so that could be why they caught up.

I'm really liking this game, I hope to have a review done by the end of the week.
Logged

Xbox Live: AgtFox
AgtFox
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Offline Offline

Posts: 3051


View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: September 15, 2005, 02:41:10 AM »

I forgot to say one minus.  The first many crash modes will not seem as fun as those found on Burnout 3.  They just don't have the same excitement and I'm hoping the reason I'm not liking them as much is because the multipliers are no longer there.

After you crash through the "main area" you are basically sitting there waiting for the boost bar to reach 100% so you can unleash a gamebreaker and hopefully push your car (with aftertouch) into cars on another vertical level.  You may get the chance to hit the gamebreaker again as well.  The problem is you don't see the crash from the perspective you did in Burnout 3 because the camera is centered around you with little spurts of watching cars crash into the mess.  It may be the one misstep Criterion has done with this game, especially if you like Crash mode a lot.  Later crash modes though are cooler than the vanilla ones at the beginning, however you may not be anymore excited about them.

Bill Harris touches on this as well, and I forgot to say something about it.
Logged

Xbox Live: AgtFox
Matt
Gaming Trend Reader

Offline Offline

Posts: 24


View Profile WWW
« Reply #35 on: September 15, 2005, 02:59:09 AM »

Quote from: "AgtFox"
My sum up: Buy this game if you liked Burnout 3 at all, because it is better!

I know a lot of people are wondering how the AI is.  From the races I have done so far I can tell you that the computer makes mistakes and will run into oncoming traffic from time to time.  Once you are in the lead they don't seem to be right on your tail, but if you don't use boost when you have it they will catch up.

There is no time screen to see how far back they were and there is no replay available like there was in Burnout 3, but I would say although the rubberband AI may still be present (I'm reserving judgement) that it doesn't pose as strong of a threat as it did in Burnout 3.

You also have more options open to you even though this game moves a heck of a lot faster than Burnout 3.  You can hit non-controlled cars into the computer AI cars, you can crash and use aftertouch to hit them (they no longer whiz right by, they will attempt to get by you but you have more of a chance to hit them...I hit 3 cars behind me in one crash).

Boost is given very liberally.  You hit cars going the same way as you, you get some boost and you can also get boost by bumping or side pushing into an AI car as well as the usual ways you get boost.  Be warned that if you take a shortcut that there is no boost available there so you may come out of the shortcut on the short end of the stick with boost.

This time around you go through levels.  You get star points at each event you do.  There is a 4 star rating for how you drove (OK, Good, Great, Awesome) and if you get a Gold medal you get a 5th star if you get Awesome on the event.  This goes toward getting a higher ranking and opening up more events.

The music and sound effects are lots better than Burnout 3.  The EA Trax is actually something I would listen to as it isn't rap heavy or anything.  The sound effects, especially on a Dolby Digital 5.1 system are powerful.  You hear things whiz by you and when you crash, you can almost feel it.

The graphics are improved as well, but I think most of you know that.  Load times are roughly the same on the Xbox as Burnout 3, so I will guess the PS2 loads may be longer again for the person that asked.  The cool thing is on crashes you get a look ahead and then the screen goes reddish and blurry and reverses back to the start.  If you retry the crash it will back up the same way to the beginning of the race.

This game also unlocks a car if you have a Burnout 3 save and the Madden van (sounds lame, but it does a lot of damage in crash events) if you have a Madden 06 save.  One more thing about the crash events.  You have a boost bar at the beginning where you have to hit the "sweet spot" both high and low and you get a great boost...if you screw up you could have no boost going into the traffic or your engine could blow up and then you hear laughter.

This game so far is damn good and I think the rubberband AI, if it is there, is not as prevalent.  I easily won 2 of the races I've been in (including a Grand Prix) while others have been close where I just overtook #1 with a Takedown or zoomed past him toward the end.  There was one time the #2 car caught up to me at the end, but I blocked him out.  I didn't have any boost, so that could be why they caught up.

I'm really liking this game, I hope to have a review done by the end of the week.


Pretty much agree with everythng here except one thing I noticed is I can no longer just go out and do random tracks of road rage. I'm hoping that this is something that is unlocked but if not thats a big over sight. Unless I'm missing something of course all I see is 2 player road rage or go into world play.
Logged

Gamer tag= gball
rrmorton
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Offline Offline

Posts: 867


View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 15, 2005, 04:31:09 AM »

I just tried a Crashbreaker Race preview and that mode adds a very fun new wrinkle to the formula. This is a normal race that gives you crashbreakers to use during Impact Time... After crashing, wait for one or two opponents to close in behind you and then BOOM take him out with an explosion. This is a fun addition because it makes it much easier to nail oncoming traffic and prevent them from overtaking you. You don't have to peg them with your little crumpled car, you can catch them with splash damage in a fairly big radius. Sometimes two or three or even four at a time if the cars are bunched up. Very cool and very satisfying.

This mode, along with some of the other changes AgtFox mentioned in his post, definitely makes for a more friendly game of Burnout this time around. I suspect a number of people who were ticked off or felt cheated by Burnout 3 will have a happier time with Revenge.

The shortcuts need to be learned pretty well if you want to win gold medals on the Burning Lap races. Fortunately, the shortcuts are pretty clearly marked so you'll notice them whizzing past and you can remember where they are for your next try.

Earning gold medals can still be pretty challenging, especially with the addition of the Rating system. Now you're not just going for Gold medals, you're going for five stars by getting the gold medal plus an Awesome rating. To get an Awesome rating you pretty much need to be earning and using boost constantly.


Back to it!
Logged
rrmorton
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Offline Offline

Posts: 867


View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 15, 2005, 05:22:05 AM »

Well, my first evening with the game, I made it to Rank 6 with 30 Gold/Perfects out of 169. I'm on my way, baby!
Logged
Calvin
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Offline Offline

Posts: 13895

President of G.R.O.S.S.


View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 15, 2005, 06:06:52 AM »

Quote from: "rrmorton"
Well, my first evening with the game, I made it to Rank 6 with 30 Gold/Perfects out of 169. I'm on my way, baby!


Dude you are obsessed with these games.
Logged
Devil
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Offline Offline

Posts: 7742



View Profile
« Reply #39 on: September 15, 2005, 12:19:22 PM »

IN!

I'll stop on the way home to pick it up and kick all yer asses online tonight...
Logged

XBox Gamertag: Devil13Devil
Wii Number: 0305 6568 6417 2609
PS3 Thing: Slived
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up
  Print  
 
Jump to:  

Powered by MySQL Powered by PHP Powered by SMF 1.1.19 | SMF © 2013, Simple Machines
Valid XHTML 1.0! Valid CSS!
Page created in 0.186 seconds with 103 queries. (Pretty URLs adds 0.071s, 2q)