http://gamingtrend.com
November 29, 2014, 06:18:21 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Burnout Revenge  (Read 9992 times)
rrmorton
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« Reply #120 on: September 26, 2005, 04:28:22 AM »

White Mountain is my favorite. It's just so much fun with the cliffs and that bridge with no guard rails. For some reason, that track in particular reminds me of my beloved Beetle Adventure Racing on the N64.

Burning Laps don't require absolute perfection until late in the game but man, do they get punishing. Especially the two minute ones. Early in the game, if you crash once or twice you can keep going and maybe still win Gold. But in the later events, you can't crash even once so when you do, you just swear loudly and restart. (Tip: the further you made it before crashing, the louder/filthier you should make the cuss.)

You also have to make effective use of the shortcuts. Maybe not all of them, but most. (I like how the Burning Laps require the shortcuts while the Traffic Attacks force you to learn the main roads.)

The only thing you can do is try and try again, dozens of times, until you figure out your trouble spots and master each one, then string 'em together for the win.
stiffler

View Profile WWW
« Reply #121 on: September 26, 2005, 04:30:06 PM »

Quote from: "rrmorton"
For some reason, that track in particular reminds me of my beloved Beetle Adventure Racing on the N64.

Represent!  I thought that was a very fun game.  I don't particularly care for the venerable VW, but that was just an all-around joyous experience (especially multiplayer).  Between this game and the various versions of the Rush series I certainly had some great racing on the N64.

And the Burnout impressions have me more interested.  I was a bit down on it when I saw some of the differences, but seems to be for the better in many cases.  I love the crash mode!

Xbox Live Gamertag: cstiffler
Tustin1
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #122 on: September 28, 2005, 01:56:47 AM »

Wheee - I'm up to 97% complete - I love this game  :wink:

My Current Sig.
Visit me at: Chunite
rrmorton

View Profile
« Reply #123 on: September 28, 2005, 03:26:31 PM »

Whoo, nice. Got me beat in the completion percentage. Let me know when you get 169/169 gold/perfects and I will (reluctantly) pass you the crown.

But I still get to keep the Did It First tiara. slywink
Tustin1
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #124 on: September 28, 2005, 03:28:53 PM »

Up to 98% now - couple more golds/perfects to go - only three more cars to unlock  biggrin

My Current Sig.
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #125 on: September 28, 2005, 07:13:37 PM »

Whoo, nice. Got me beat in the completion percentage. Let me know when you get 169/169 gold/perfects and I will (reluctantly) pass you the crown.

But I still get to keep the Did It First tiara. slywink

ROB!! ROB MORTOOOON!!! Ok-first of all, crash races-man I need some help with these-general tips? Timed races-are shortcuts the end all be all?

Those pictures in each area with special moves-do you get extra stars and stuff if you complete them? Some of them seem really hard.
Tustin1
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #126 on: September 29, 2005, 01:30:24 AM »

My Current Sig.
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #127 on: September 29, 2005, 01:31:52 AM »

Quote from: "Tustin1"

Wow. You are a Burnout god. Grats man.
Tustin1
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #128 on: September 29, 2005, 01:36:09 AM »

Here's a secret - 100% isn't the end - I still have a couple things to do - perhaps it goes to 105 or 110%

You unlock the Burnout Racer at 100% - that's the one with the flames and the word Burnout up the side.  It's super-light, top speed of 209MPH and handles excellent - should be killer online.  

I'm still in pursuit of the 'real' 100%  :wink:

My Current Sig.
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #129 on: September 29, 2005, 01:39:42 AM »

Here's a secret - 100% isn't the end - I still have a couple things to do - perhaps it goes to 105 or 110%

You unlock the Burnout Racer at 100% - that's the one with the flames and the word Burnout up the side.  It's super-light, top speed of 209MPH and handles excellent - should be killer online.  

I'm still in pursuit of the 'real' 100%  :wink:

Holy crap, thats awesome man. Could you give me some general tips for crash events, finding shortcuts in timed races, and maybe how/if selecting cars effect the game? Oh-also, is there any car customization available? I am a total nub to this series and I haven't really played a racing game since GT3 smile
Tustin1
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #130 on: September 29, 2005, 01:48:47 AM »

In crash events, view the preview and find out where most of the traffic is converging - that's where you want to be.  If you can check a few cars on the way there - all the better.  When you get a crashbreaker, be sure to steer across a lane that isn't blocked yet or drop to a lower level, etc, to cause even more carnage.

Timed races - follow rrmorton's advice and burn the whole way.  Some require shortcuts but most require burning (in the opposite lane) from start to finish only.  If you can nail a shortcut or two along the way - all the better.

There's no car customization in this game and as for choosing cars, use the heavier in the traffic attack and the lighter in the races.  If you can unlock the lowrider (one of the challenge sheets), it helps out bigtime in the traffic attack and the road rage - heavy AND does 209MPH.

Hope that helps.  :wink:

My Current Sig.
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #131 on: September 29, 2005, 01:51:59 AM »

In crash events, view the preview and find out where most of the traffic is converging - that's where you want to be.  If you can check a few cars on the way there - all the better.  When you get a crashbreaker, be sure to steer across a lane that isn't blocked yet or drop to a lower level, etc, to cause even more carnage.

Timed races - follow rrmorton's advice and burn the whole way.  Some require shortcuts but most require burning (in the opposite lane) from start to finish only.  If you can nail a shortcut or two along the way - all the better.

There's no car customization in this game and as for choosing cars, use the heavier in the traffic attack and the lighter in the races.  If you can unlock the lowrider (one of the challenge sheets), it helps out bigtime in the traffic attack and the road rage - heavy AND does 209MPH.

Hope that helps.  :wink:

It does, that was all stuff I didn't know. I hope to get more time with it tonight, thanks Tustin.
Tustin1
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #132 on: September 29, 2005, 02:06:26 AM »

Glad to be of assistance - I was hoping that 100% was the end - got my Socom: Fireteam Bravo beta today and still haven't played it, I'm so addicted to this game.

My Current Sig.
rrmorton

View Profile
« Reply #133 on: September 29, 2005, 05:33:53 PM »

Damn! Nice work, Tustin.

Sorry I didn't see your Crash advice request yesterday, Calvin, but T's got ya covered.
Darren8r

I like video games

View Profile WWW
« Reply #134 on: September 29, 2005, 09:51:58 PM »

Just one question (forgive me if this was already asked, but I didnt read the entire 5 pages) Is the crash games harder than Burnout 3? Because in Burnout 3 I owned at crashing, and I know alot of other people that said it was to hard, which I dont agree with.

I cant wait to get my hands on this game!

Anyone play online? Hows that?

Now Playing: Skyrim
PS3: Darrenzo- (don't forget the dash at the end)
rrmorton

View Profile
« Reply #135 on: September 29, 2005, 10:01:49 PM »

I wouldn't say Crash Mode is harder, it just uses slightly different mechanics.

Just like in Burnout 3, there were one or two crash mode events that really gave me a hard time and I had to replay dozens of times to get gold. But the vast majority of crashes were winnable with just 3 or 5 or maybe 10 tries.
Tustin1
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #136 on: September 29, 2005, 11:30:20 PM »

I just played online for about an hour or so - very cool but I don't understand the ranking system.

My Current Sig.
IkeVandergraaf

RRoD FTL! F MS!

View Profile
« Reply #137 on: October 03, 2005, 12:26:43 AM »

Ok, 2 questions:

What are the graphic options? I have a widescreen HDTV. Burnout 3 said it had progressive scan on the back, but I never saw an option for it.

I own but never finished Burnout 3. I really enjoyed the game (the racing parts anyway, I thought the crash parts were merely ok) but got distracted by something shiny. Is it worth sinking $50 on Revenge or should I just play Burnout 3?

Oh yeah, and how's the music?

So that's 3 questions.

Gamertag = IkeV
I KNOW DEEP IN MY NMIND THAT THIS DISGUSTING WEBSITE THAT IS OBIVOUSLY OPERATED BY HIGHSCHOOL DROPOUTS LIVING PURPOSELESS AND JOBLESS LIVES
Misguided
Gaming Trend Staff

Semi-acquatic egg-laying mammal of action

View Profile
« Reply #138 on: October 03, 2005, 01:06:01 AM »

I wouldn't say Crash Mode is harder, it just uses slightly different mechanics.

Just like in Burnout 3, there were one or two crash mode events that really gave me a hard time and I had to replay dozens of times to get gold. But the vast majority of crashes were winnable with just 3 or 5 or maybe 10 tries.

I've found that the difficulty in the crash events in PSP's Legends is extremely wonky. Most events are trivial...crash into the obvious spot and rake in the damage and gold on the first try. Others seem downright impossible. I'm certain I've done paradise peril 50+ times, and come within 300 or 400 bucks of the 400k target a couple of times.

Ruining language with my terrible words.
Tustin1
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #139 on: October 03, 2005, 02:03:22 AM »

Quote from: "IkeVandergraaf"
Ok, 2 questions:

What are the graphic options? I have a widescreen HDTV. Burnout 3 said it had progressive scan on the back, but I never saw an option for it.

I own but never finished Burnout 3. I really enjoyed the game (the racing parts anyway, I thought the crash parts were merely ok) but got distracted by something shiny. Is it worth sinking $50 on Revenge or should I just play Burnout 3?

Oh yeah, and how's the music?

So that's 3 questions.

I enjoyed the music in Burnout3 better, Revenge also states progressive scan - all in all I loved Burnout3 but Revenge is even better.

My Current Sig.
rrmorton

View Profile
« Reply #140 on: October 03, 2005, 04:50:38 PM »

Again, the biggest difference is the AI. The old game had "rubber-band" AI which could get very frustrating. "You are 6 seconds behind... You are 17 seconds behind... You are so freakin' out of this race, dude, just restart already."

The new game is much more forgiving because the rubberband AI works in your favor, not just your opponent's. It's still very challenging but it's more fair about it.

Aside from that, the games are both excellent.

I listen to my own custom soundtracks while playing both games and so should everyone else.  biggrin
adamsappel
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #141 on: October 03, 2005, 06:46:39 PM »

I listen to my own custom soundtracks while playing both games and so should everyone else.  biggrin

Okay, how do I listen to your custom soundtracks?  smile

I'd love to have some more Friends to play against in this and other games, especially people who won't constantly call me "nonwhite" or "nonhetero." My Friends list has a solid core of around a dozen guys who play regularly, but to get to them I have to scroll down through all the Console Gold Friend requests that haven't yet been answered.  :cry:

Xbox Live Gamertag: adamsappel
Loomi
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #142 on: October 05, 2005, 09:02:20 PM »

Wow, did they take a lot of the fun out of crash mode.  I don't like the kickoff/golf swing three button mechanic at all.  The blown engine idea is terrible as well.. To top it off, when you do screw up and want to just retry, you have to sit through the camera going backwards through the course and then choose your car again.  Maybe I'm impatient, but when I screw up, I want to be able to start again right away.  
[/negativity]

One positive side-effect of the disappointing crash mode is that I'm actually trying out the racing portion of a Burnout game.  What an absolute blast.  Has the racing been this fun in the previous games?  If so, I've missed out because I've been too busy crashing.  

Is anyone playing this on XBL?  I've checked a couple times, but haven't seen anyone.  

Also, are the online scoreboards not working?  I found the Friend's List scoreboards in Forza to be huge motivators, but I don't see any times posted in Burnout.

XBL Gamertag: Loomi 360
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #143 on: October 05, 2005, 09:37:16 PM »

I finally started getting back into this yesterday and I am pretty much addicted. I refuse to move on until I get an event perfect-and so far I am 10% through with all perfects. Its hard sometimes, and for a non-racer like me its even worse, but I am really loving it!!
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: