http://gamingtrend.com
July 26, 2014, 07:43:21 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Burnout Revenge  (Read 9735 times)
Scott
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« Reply #80 on: September 18, 2005, 02:32:02 AM »

Finally picked up Burnout Revenge for the XBox, my first Burnout title (rented the last one for a couple days).  It is a lot of fun so far.  The game's overall presentation is incredible, maybe the best I've ever seen in a game.  Racing is a blast as well.  Crash mode doesn't look nearly as nice as the last game though.  The golf meter is just dumb, and the camera doesn't seem to be as accurate showing the damage.

I also really like the new gritty feel to the game.  The game definitely gets an 'A' so far.

---
XBox Live: ScottW
rrmorton

View Profile
« Reply #81 on: September 18, 2005, 04:13:53 AM »

Quote from: "Scott"
Finally picked up Burnout Revenge for the XBox....

Finally? It's been out three days! slywink
TheMissingLink

TML, for short.

View Profile
« Reply #82 on: September 18, 2005, 04:54:01 AM »

How many golds do you have now, rrmorton?  You are a Burnout MADMAN and I <3 you for it.

TheMissingLink on PSN
rrmorton

View Profile
« Reply #83 on: September 18, 2005, 07:46:30 AM »

Day Four:
-Gold/Perfects: 130 out of 169
-Thumbs: Getting Used To It

The highlight of the day was a Crashbreaker race through Eternal City I'd been struggling with for close to an hour. Finally, I was in first place coming into the final stretch but with a dry boost meter and two cars on my tail. Fast approaching the finish line, I was plowing into traffic for whatever boost I could get... and slammed right the fuck into the back of a bus. BOOM.

My stomach flipped. All hope was lost. Cars 2 and 3 were coming in behind me but they were too far apart for a crashbreaker. Displaying a zenlike sense of calm, I called upon some oldschool Burnout Takedown aftertouch finesse and patiently steered my flaming hulk into the second place car and managed to tap his hood and take him out. Then the third place car zoomed around us, too far to touch, but not out of range of my crashbreaker. BOOM! Got him. Then I drove about ten feet and got to the finish line in first place. Cool

The lowlight of the day was getting a Dirty Disc error between races 3 and 4 of a Grand Prix I was winning... not once but TWICE. I had to play the first three races over and over again before it finally loaded the fourth race without crashing. I wanted to strangle my Xbox.

I had hoped to beat it tomorrow but I've got a friend coming to visit and sleeping on our couch so I won't be getting much Xbox time tomorrow. Hopefully Monday.
Xmann

Ironman in training

View Profile
« Reply #84 on: September 18, 2005, 01:04:08 PM »

let me ask you guys a question........i have Burnout 3 that i am really enjoying but have only just scratched the surface of, i think i'm 15% thru the Burnout Tour.
since i have only just started B3, should i go trade in B3 and upgrade to Revenge?  if it's that much more of an upgrade and i have just started B3, is it that more polished?

rrmorton

View Profile
« Reply #85 on: September 18, 2005, 04:42:15 PM »

Well, to me it's always more fun to play the hot new game everyone's talking about than the aging prequel. If you've got the money and you want it, you can't go wrong with Revenge.

That said, if you're still having fun with Takedown, you could easily hold off until Revenge comes down in price. The games are both excellent but both offer essentially the same experience: breakneck racing and crashing. The new game refines the formula in a few ways with new modes like traffic attack and crashbreaker races and it looks a little better but it's still the same game at heart.

Since you haven't played it that much, you may not have had time to grow annoyed by the "rubber band" racing AI in Takedown which really bugged some people. The new game goes a long way towards fixing that gripe so that's another reason to consider upgrading.
rrmorton

View Profile
« Reply #86 on: September 19, 2005, 05:58:55 PM »

Day Five:
-Gold/Perfects: 132 out of 169

I only had a short time to spend wiith it yesterday due to a friend who was visiting and sleeping on our couch.

I'm working on a Traffic Attack challenge in Rank 9 that is just KICKING MY ASS. I've spent close to two hours on it so far and still haven't reached the $1,200,000 Gold Medal target. Closest I got was $1,080,000. When I lost that one I shouted and punched the carpet so hard my hand turned red.

I don't care what the reviews say. This game is just as hard as Burnout 3.
WinoMcCougarstein

View Profile WWW
« Reply #87 on: September 19, 2005, 06:01:07 PM »

Quote from: "rrmorton"
Day Five:
-Gold/Perfects: 132 out of 169

I only had a short time to spend wiith it yesterday due to a friend who was visiting and sleeping on our couch.

I'm working on a Traffic Attack challenge in Rank 9 that is just KICKING MY ASS. I've spent close to two hours on it so far and still haven't reached the $1,200,000 Gold Medal target. Closest I got was $1,080,000. When I lost that one I shouted and punched the carpet so hard my hand turned red.

I don't care what the reviews say. This game is just as hard as Burnout 3.

That is what I love about this game!  It offers a nice challenge.  Even when you have to repeat a challenge for an hour or two, it doesnt get boring or frustrating.  The challenge makes me want to complete it even more.

rrmorton

View Profile
« Reply #88 on: September 19, 2005, 06:03:51 PM »

HELL YEAH! Right there with ya on that. Each failure just pushes me harder to beat it the next time. It's not a game, it's a compulsion.
AgtFox

View Profile WWW
« Reply #89 on: September 19, 2005, 06:05:23 PM »

HELL YEAH! Right there with ya on that. Each failure just pushes me harder to beat it the next time. It's not a game, it's a compulsion.

Yep, it's as addictive as Civilization was when it first came out.

Xbox Live: AgtFox
Dimmona

View Profile
« Reply #90 on: September 19, 2005, 06:07:00 PM »

Any CGers up for some games after 8pm PST tonight?

Xbox Live tag: Dimmona
DS WiFi Friends Codes
Wii Code: 6091 9321 3340 8417
Xbox360 Gamer Card
rrmorton

View Profile
« Reply #91 on: September 19, 2005, 06:15:43 PM »

If you'd asked me yesterday what mode was the toughest I would have said Eliminator, but now I'd say Traffic Attack. It gets so much harder late in the game because the traffic becomes a lot more sparse and there are fairly long stretches of road with no cars to hit. If you enter a traffic-dry part of the track with under ten seconds on your clock, you might not have enough time to reach the next available car to add time. It's brutal!

You really have to drive with flawless precision while boosting constantly to get your rating up to the X3 multipliers, but those two things can be very hard to do at the same time. I love the feeling of closing in on a car or van when I have only like a second or less remaining on the clock. I often catch myself leaning forward into the screen to get at it sooner. biggrin

I can't play this game sitting back on the couch; I have to perch my ass right on the edge of the seat with my elbows on my knees. And when I'm sitting down for a serious round of racing, I drag my Aeron desk chair over to the TV so I can sit even closer.

Generally, I love to do a little gaming at night to wind down from the day... but when I play Burnout, Burnout is the thing I need to wind down from. biggrin
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #92 on: September 19, 2005, 09:06:24 PM »

Quick question-I found this for rent, but only the PS2 version is in stock-is that a decent place to start or is the Xbox version clearly superior?

Added a question mark.
rrmorton

View Profile
« Reply #93 on: September 19, 2005, 09:10:08 PM »

I'm working on a Traffic Attack challenge in Rank 9 that is just KICKING MY ASS. I've spent close to two hours on it so far and still haven't reached the $1,200,000 Gold Medal target. Closest I got was $1,080,000.

Woohoo! I finally got in the zone and earned $2,100,000! Beat it and then some. I picked a car with a much lower top speed than the little F1 racer I had been using and it was significantly easier to control. Still took me about twenty tries with that new vehicle but it made all the difference.
rrmorton

View Profile
« Reply #94 on: September 19, 2005, 09:11:04 PM »

Quote from: "AgtFox"

Strangest comparison ever! slywink
AgtFox

View Profile WWW
« Reply #95 on: September 19, 2005, 09:42:24 PM »

Well, I'm just re-living childhood memories biggrin

Scott

View Profile
« Reply #96 on: September 19, 2005, 11:16:31 PM »

Civ wasn't nearly as intense, so you could play much longer.  Burnout is great, but I imagine you fatigue quicker playing it, at least I do.

---
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #97 on: September 20, 2005, 02:12:34 AM »

Quote from: "Calvin"
Quick question-I found this for rent, but only the PS2 version is in stock-is that a decent place to start or is the Xbox version clearly superior?

Added a question mark.

:  :?:
rrmorton

View Profile
« Reply #98 on: September 20, 2005, 02:38:38 AM »

I have no idea. In their reviews, Gamespot usually compares the relative merits of the different console versions.

I do know that Burnout 3: Takedown looked pretty good on the PS2. The load times may have been a bit longer but the spark effects were really nice.
Tustin1
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #99 on: September 20, 2005, 01:23:08 PM »

I've got Burnout: Revenge for my PS2 and it's a great game - there are some load times but nothing out of the ordinary.  Graphics are also great as is the sense of speed.  :wink:

My Current Sig.
Visit me at: Chunite
rrmorton

View Profile
« Reply #100 on: September 20, 2005, 04:54:12 PM »

Day Six:
-Gold/Perfects: 149 out of 169

I should be able to finish it today, assuming I don't get stuck on any of the remaining challenges for too long.
WinoMcCougarstein

View Profile WWW
« Reply #101 on: September 20, 2005, 06:06:46 PM »

Day Six:
-Gold/Perfects: 149 out of 169

I should be able to finish it today, assuming I don't get stuck on any of the remaining challenges for too long.

You are insane!!!!

Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #102 on: September 21, 2005, 02:26:28 AM »

After 6 or so hours, I can admit that many of my initial impressions have been changed, and I really enjoy Burnout Revenge.  A couple more observations:

-  The events I enjoy, I really enjoy.  Races (especially crashbreaker), eliminator, road rage, and Grand Prix events are all absolutely fantastic fun.  However, the events I dislike, I really dislike.  I absolutely loathe the preview lap and burning lap events, Traffic Attack is decidedly 'meh', and the crash mode is now absolutely pathetic.

-  Speaking of crash mode, I can't believe how they took something so fun and so engaging...and completely ruined it.  The huge jumps, wind, car weight, etc, all combine to utterly ruin the crash mode imho.  The beauty of Crash events was simply ramming full speed into oncoming traffic, maybe grabbing a couple power-ups, and sitting back to watch the carnage.  It was simple, easy, and fun.  Now, I have to take into consideration every known law of physics, wind shear, jump to distance ratios, bullshit, bullshit, etc, etc.  They ended up taking a simple concept and adding so much that it just sucked all the fun right out of it.  

Not to mention that the AI of the cars in B3's Crash mode was non-existant...and that was a good thing.  They didn't stop, swerve, or try to get out of the way; instead they slammed full speed into whatever was in front of them.  In this version, however, the cars will actively maneuver to get out of your way during a crash sequence.  During one crash, I managed to make a roadblock pile-up at one point in a roundabout.  I thought I had it made until all the oncoming traffic came to a stop!.  No cars ran into my flaming roadblock, and I ended up having to retry the course.   I dread having to complete any of the crash events now, and am perfectly satisfied with a bronze just so I can get past them.

-  You can tell there is still some rubberbanding, but since it now works in my favor as well as against me, it is much more tolerable and serves to add great tension to most of the races.  It also seems that the opposing AI is not nearly as perfect as last time, and will quite often crash of their own accord.  This makes the races seem much more fair.

-  Now that I'm getting used to it, the sweet spots for takedowns are much easier to find.   I also haven't run into any more 'swing-the-camera-back-as-you-run-into-a-wall' moments.  Maybe that was just an odd happening in my first few runs.

All in all, I'd say B3:  Revenge is a very enjoyable game.  I really wish it provided the option to skip the crash and solo race modes.  Not being able to skip them knocks it down a notch.  A solid B+ from me.  smile

“My next great decision is just lying in wait.
The action might turn out to be the world's most grievous mistake."
- Bad Religion, Past is Dead
rrmorton

View Profile
« Reply #103 on: September 21, 2005, 04:42:38 AM »

HALLELUJAH!
169 OUT OF 169 GOLD/PERFECTS!
VICTORY IS MINE!

Kind of anti-climactic since there wasn't a cutscene or ticker tape parade or anything. Bought it Wednesday afternoon and beat it late the following Tuesday night. What the hell is wrong with me?

Some stats:

Total Takedowns: 2,264
Total Drift: 1,916,076 feet
Total Crash Damage: $1,006,767,300
Traffic Vehicles Checked: 11,293
Total Perfect Laps: 65
Thigh Punches: 42
Controller Throws At Xbox: 3

Now then...

WHO AMONG YOU SHALL CHALLENGE ME???

Dimmona

View Profile
« Reply #104 on: September 21, 2005, 04:49:08 AM »

Unbelievable....

::applauds::

Xbox Live tag: Dimmona
DS WiFi Friends Codes
Wii Code: 6091 9321 3340 8417
Xbox360 Gamer Card
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #105 on: September 21, 2005, 04:55:30 AM »

Jesus. Congrats Rob. That is absolutely insane man. Congrats. Now trade? biggrin ahaha!

:  thumbsup  :!:
Tustin1
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #106 on: September 21, 2005, 11:42:02 AM »

Alright, I have a question - there are a couple events early on which I believe are burning laps.  I get the gold easily but can't seem to get all five stars, always ending up with three.  I've tried jumping, driving opposite lane, drifting, slamming same way traffic and nothing seems to work - is there something I'm missing.

Also - you've got all golds, but have you gotten all the stars and completed all the challenge sheets?

My Current Sig.
AgtFox

View Profile WWW
« Reply #107 on: September 21, 2005, 12:08:27 PM »

What was your final time of playing Rob?  That's the one stat that isn't there.

rrmorton

View Profile
« Reply #108 on: September 21, 2005, 01:19:27 PM »

Well, the only stat that measured time was called Total Burn Time which said 715:30:80 (almost twelve hours) but I don't feel that's accurate. I'm pretty sure I played more hours than that over the last week so maybe it wasn't counting retries or something. Or does "burn time" mean time spent boosting? I dunno.

Tustin, that was the first place I got stumped. Are you holding down boost the entire time? You not only need to be earning it with all the techniques you mentioned but also applying it constantly, not just in little bursts. That's because the longer you hold it down, the faster your rating goes up so right near the end you should be able to squeeze into the Awesome category. Took me quite a few tries.

Try to get as early a boost as possible either by steering into the oncoming lane immediately at the start of the race, or by finding a shortcut with a ramp that can give you a little air right out of the gate. Just don't let up on the boost.

Quote from: "tustin1"
Also - you've got all golds, but have you gotten all the stars and completed all the challenge sheets?

Had to go and burst my bubble, didn't you, you bastard. slywink

Yes to the stars (that's why I kept calling them "Gold/Perfects") but no, I didn't complete all the challenge sheets and signature takedowns and I don't really have much interest in doing so.

In the process of getting golds, I got:

94% completion
Cars won: 70/78
Challenges: 51/64

I happened to complete one challenge sheet but that's it. I just don't see the appeal in trying to do a takedown in a specific spot of the track or anything like that. If it happens in pursuit of the gold that's great, but I don't see it as a compelling enough goal to keep playing at it.
AgtFox

View Profile WWW
« Reply #109 on: September 21, 2005, 01:33:16 PM »

Yeah, that would be boost time I'm pretty sure.  I think there is a total time thing in the profile area off the main menu, although I could be wrong and it could be just burn time.

Tustin1
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #110 on: September 22, 2005, 02:47:32 AM »

Tustin, that was the first place I got stumped. Are you holding down boost the entire time? You not only need to be earning it with all the techniques you mentioned but also applying it constantly, not just in little bursts. That's because the longer you hold it down, the faster your rating goes up so right near the end you should be able to squeeze into the Awesome category. Took me quite a few tries.

Try to get as early a boost as possible either by steering into the oncoming lane immediately at the start of the race, or by finding a shortcut with a ramp that can give you a little air right out of the gate. Just don't let up on the boost.

Thanks for the tip - the boost trick does indeed seem to work on these laps and I've now scored the couple gold/perfects that were giving me problems.  Nowhere near being complete (70+ golds) but well on my way.  :wink:

** edit ** Just broke the 100 Gold mark - wheeeeeee, first five levels cleared 'perfect', six golds from 'elite'

My Current Sig.
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #111 on: September 23, 2005, 07:01:01 AM »

I rented this yesterday, and with only 2 golds and 2 awesomes, this game is effing metal!!. I kind of suck at it, so expect a help thread sometime soon, but suffice it to say I am really floored at how good every aspect of the game is early on.
Scott

View Profile
« Reply #112 on: September 23, 2005, 11:52:14 AM »

After playing some more, the races are great, but the crash mode is definitely a disappointment.  The crash mode was my favorite part of Burnout 3 when I rented it.  I bought Revenge in hopes the crash mode would be better, but its not.  The golf windup sucks, and the levels feel more like puzzles then before, and just not as fun.  Still a fun game, but I'll play it some more, trade it back in, and never think about it again.

It is also harder for my kids to do the crash mode because of the golf windup as well, and lessoned the fun there for them, part of the reason it'll have no longetivity at my house.

---
Misguided
Gaming Trend Staff

Semi-acquatic egg-laying mammal of action

View Profile
« Reply #113 on: September 23, 2005, 01:08:46 PM »

See, I like the crash mode in Revenge (though I've only tried a few levels of it). The fact that you can check traffic into strategic places really adds to it for me. With Legends (which I'm making the presumption is much closer to B3 ) it's more a case of trying to get your car to the right spot...often with frustratingly little room for error.

Ruining language with my terrible words.
Scott

View Profile
« Reply #114 on: September 23, 2005, 01:14:45 PM »

With Legends (which I'm making the presumption is much closer to B3 ) it's more a case of trying to get your car to the right spot...often with frustratingly little room for error.

Revenge seems more like a puzzle to me, that I really have to hit the right spot, and hit the right ramp, and land in the exact place, and take the target car down or else no gold.  I also liked more of a windup in the previous game, instead of the immediate full speed ahead that you get with Revenge.  Maybe later crash modes will get better though.

Still a fun game, glad you're enjoying the crash mode!

---
Misguided
Gaming Trend Staff

Semi-acquatic egg-laying mammal of action

View Profile
« Reply #115 on: September 23, 2005, 02:10:55 PM »

Heheh...well, the xbox at the gamestop by where I work now has XMen legends in it, instead of Revenge, and I broke my PSP doing...of all things...a crash junction called Paradise Peril.

So no more crash junctions for me Tongue

Ruining language with my terrible words.
Roguetad

View Profile
« Reply #116 on: September 23, 2005, 02:30:04 PM »

I’ve always thought the crash events were more puzzle solving than arcade reflexes, but even more so with BO:Revenge.  I like that they’re more complex than they were in BO:3.  Sometimes the difference between gold and silver in Revenge is checking one strategic car on the way to the ramp.  That car you checked ends up shooting down the road smashing into another car which falls off the side of a bridge, dropping into highway traffic on the side of the highway that you couldn’t get to from the ramp jump.

It started taking me about 3 – 10 runs from Rank 6+ to figure out the physics of the event well enough to get a gold.  It’s a little more frustrating, but more rewarding than just flying your car into the most dense spot of traffic in BO:3.

I thought traffic attack was the easiest event in the lower ranks, but now it’s definitely the hardest for me starting at Rank 8.  It’s tough to maintain an awesome rating, and the damage targets for gold seem pretty high.  During my last traffic attack run I was able to check over 90 cars, but still only got the silver…and I barely managed to keep an awesome rating.  I think there’s a timer between checks that you have to maintain or you get dropped back down to Great and then Good fairly quick.  

I don’t even really count burning lap, it’s the only event that I don’t care if I get a silver.  Some of those burning lap events, just like in BO:3, require near perfection in order to get gold.  I’d rather be blowing up cars and trading paint.
pr0ner

Go Flames go!

View Profile
« Reply #117 on: September 23, 2005, 07:11:35 PM »

Quote from: "AgtFox"
Yeah, that would be boost time I'm pretty sure.  I think there is a total time thing in the profile area off the main menu, although I could be wrong and it could be just burn time.

You're right, total time played is in the profile area when you first start the game, before you get to the 'main menu'.

Mike

XBox Live Gamertag: Pr0ner
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #118 on: September 23, 2005, 07:28:18 PM »

Quote from: "Roguetad"
I’ve always thought the crash events were more puzzle solving than arcade reflexes, but even more so with BO:Revenge.  I like that they’re more complex than they were in BO:3.  Sometimes the difference between gold and silver in Revenge is checking one strategic car on the way to the ramp.  That car you checked ends up shooting down the road smashing into another car which falls off the side of a bridge, dropping into highway traffic on the side of the highway that you couldn’t get to from the ramp jump.

It started taking me about 3 – 10 runs from Rank 6+ to figure out the physics of the event well enough to get a gold.  It’s a little more frustrating, but more rewarding than just flying your car into the most dense spot of traffic in BO:3.

I thought traffic attack was the easiest event in the lower ranks, but now it’s definitely the hardest for me starting at Rank 8.  It’s tough to maintain an awesome rating, and the damage targets for gold seem pretty high.  During my last traffic attack run I was able to check over 90 cars, but still only got the silver…and I barely managed to keep an awesome rating.  I think there’s a timer between checks that you have to maintain or you get dropped back down to Great and then Good fairly quick.  

I don’t even really count burning lap, it’s the only event that I don’t care if I get a silver.  Some of those burning lap events, just like in BO:3, require near perfection in order to get gold.  I’d rather be blowing up cars and trading paint.

Don't say that Roguetad!! It took me about 10 tries to get the gold in the first time trial! I love the game I just think I suck at it. Any general play tips?
pr0ner

Go Flames go!

View Profile
« Reply #119 on: September 23, 2005, 08:06:57 PM »

Quote from: "Calvin"
Quote from: "Roguetad"

Don't say that Roguetad!! It took me about 10 tries to get the gold in the first time trial! I love the game I just think I suck at it. Any general play tips?

Practice, a lot.  Get really good at drifting and boosting out of turns; while you might not always take the shortest route, being able to keep up such a high speed through sharp corners will help a lot.  Yes, you have to use the break while you drift, but you can keep the gas and boost going and you won't slow down all that much.  Better than trying to take the corners naturally.  For where I am in the game, drifting makes the White Mountain course so much easier to handle since I can slide around the hairpins at insane speed rather than trying to stay on the pavement.

Mike

XBox Live Gamertag: Pr0ner
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: