http://gamingtrend.com
April 16, 2014, 05:11:19 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Burnout Revenge  (Read 9586 times)
HankRaptor
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile WWW
« Reply #40 on: September 15, 2005, 12:22:38 PM »

I shat myself.

Yes, the game is that good. I had this thumping through the sound system with the insane bass, and the crashes were absolutely TERRIFYING.

I agree with everything that "MORTON" guy says..

What I am enjoying is that you play the same track over and over for a while, and you learn the track better and learn the shortcuts.. it makes more sense than 3 which always had a new track so it was harder to master a track.

THE SPEED IS A NARCOTIC.. this game is unreal. After playing these series of games.. its hard to go back to boring games like ridge racer... these guys get FUN RIGHT.

Wii Number 6291 3315 9378 1013
360- HankRaptor
PSN- HankRaptor
Crispin sees what you are doing and he is NONE TOO PLEASED.
Matt
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile WWW
« Reply #41 on: September 15, 2005, 12:37:23 PM »

I was only able to rank up to 5 last night and mostly gold but had the same problems as in burnout 3 I always have problems getting gold in the time trial races. Whatever ones where you have to beat a certain time..

I really like the game but I plan on either trading it or getting rid of it very soon.

WHY CAN'T I PLAY SINGLE PLAYER ROAD RAGE BY MYSELF???

How in the world was this overlooked? I just can't believe it I could spend hours and hours just going to single event and doing random road rage tracks. Now I either have to play world tour or multiplayer.

Am I the only one that this really bothers? I mean its not that big of a deal now cause the game is new and I am enjoying world tour play but once I get that almost done whats there to do?

Another complaint is the so far I find the game much easier then the last one mainly due to the fact of traffic checking. If your racing or whatever you really don't even need to worry about same way traffic which makes it much easier in my opinion. My 4 yr old actually made it through a race and wasn't in last place..

Give me my random single player events back damn it!!!!!!!!

Gamer tag= gball
rrmorton

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: September 15, 2005, 01:09:07 PM »

Quote from: "Rage"
Quote from: "rrmorton"
Well, my first evening with the game, I made it to Rank 6 with 30 Gold/Perfects out of 169. I'm on my way, baby!

Dude you are obsessed with these games.

Devil

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: September 16, 2005, 12:11:46 AM »

OK - Who's going online with this tonight?

XBox Gamertag: Devil13Devil
Wii Number: 0305 6568 6417 2609
PS3 Thing: Slived
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: September 16, 2005, 02:04:35 AM »

Alright shit, I will go rent this this weekend. Damnit.
Devil

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: September 16, 2005, 02:07:29 AM »

Lockdown and I just had the most pathetic crash mode EVER!

Join us, Rage!

Misguided
Gaming Trend Staff

Semi-acquatic egg-laying mammal of action

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: September 16, 2005, 02:25:39 AM »

I just tried a Crashbreaker Race preview and that mode adds a very fun new wrinkle to the formula. This is a normal race that gives you crashbreakers to use during Impact Time... After crashing, wait for one or two opponents to close in behind you and then BOOM take him out with an explosion.

Ahhhh THAT must be the one used for the demo. FANTASTIC. I wish the PSP had this. As much as I'm enjoying Legends, I wish it were Revenge instead.

Ruining language with my terrible words.
rrmorton

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: September 16, 2005, 05:31:38 AM »

Day two progress report = 60 Gold/Perfects out of 169. You might say I'm averaging 30 a day. biggrin

I love this game!
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: September 16, 2005, 05:38:18 AM »

Day two progress report = 60 Gold/Perfects out of 169. You might say I'm averaging 30 a day. biggrin

I love this game!

PSYCHOOO!!  :wink:
rrmorton

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: September 16, 2005, 12:52:53 PM »

Close: Maniac! - Rank 8
biggrin
Zarkon

View Profile WWW
« Reply #50 on: September 16, 2005, 01:38:17 PM »

This game deserves a 90+ rating.  Period.

I agree with the comments about Crash Mode, and that's the one major drawback in the game.  Can't say anything about multiplayer, won't be going online with it for a while (have other things going on RL, and I'm not on when most people are).  But dayamn...this game fucking rocks.
Devil

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: September 16, 2005, 02:07:08 PM »

Quick Question:

In online Crash Mode, is there any way to see what the other people are doing?

Poncho and I were playing last night and it seems like we both start at the same time and all we see are the other person's total damage $$ at the bottom of the screen.

Is there an option to alternate like in the off-line version so we can watch what's going on?

Thanks!

Lockdown

LD

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: September 16, 2005, 02:16:25 PM »

Yep.  I'm curious to know the answer to this also.  Afterall - who would want to miss my 6 dollars and 38 cents of damage I'm doing in crash mode!?!  

When we saw the winner was the first person to 4 million dollars, we realized it would be January of next year by the time our game was over!

Man do I suck at that part of the game!

LD  Tongue

LD

"A young woman led them across the galaxy, and it is she who will lead them again.  Her name is Karan S'jet."
Zarkon

View Profile WWW
« Reply #53 on: September 16, 2005, 02:37:00 PM »

In BO3, IIRC, everyone did it at the same time, and then at the end everyone could see the winner's crash.
Lockdown

LD

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: September 16, 2005, 02:57:04 PM »

There you go Devil.... that's the problem right there.

We were so pathetic, the game considered us BOTH losers and refused to show us any post crash highlights whatsoever.

LD

"A young woman led them across the galaxy, and it is she who will lead them again.  Her name is Karan S'jet."
Devil

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: September 16, 2005, 02:59:35 PM »

We suck!

pr0ner

Go Flames go!

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: September 16, 2005, 03:55:33 PM »

Hey, why wasn't I invited to get in on the fun?   :cry:

XBox Live Gamertag: Pr0ner
Devil

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: September 16, 2005, 05:20:11 PM »

Consider yourself invited!!!

Lockdown

LD

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: September 16, 2005, 05:58:09 PM »

Absolutely Mike.  You and Eco and Loomi all need to join us.  And anyone else for that matter.  I think it's 6 to a race over Live, right?

Devil and I are very selfless in games like this.  We'll hang out in back (by choice of course) and make sure noone sneaks up behind you guys.

LD  :?

LD

rrmorton

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: September 16, 2005, 06:09:46 PM »

Quote from: "Zarkon"
I agree with the comments about Crash Mode, and that's the one major drawback in the game.

Yeah, but I'm not sure I'd go so far as to call it a drawback. All the track-based driving events are honed to pure gaming perfection while the crash mode is just a fun but flawed bonus.

Crash is a great concept but it's very unwieldy for the camera and for the player to get a grasp on what they're doing. You fly off a jump and crash into something then sit back and watch the dollars, hoping they'll reach the gold target. Lots of times you think you did great but the dollars don't rack up, or you think you did poorly but you get tons of money and a gold medal anyway. The auto-camera never seems to focus where it should and the manual camera controls are sluggish and limited.

It's exceptionally unsatisfying and maddening to pump the B button for a crashbreaker only to have your boost meter tread water at the same level rather than going up and up until it pops.

I also don't like the rewind/load screen, but that might be because I'm always cranky from failure every time I see it. biggrin (I had a hell of a time getting gold on Drain Damage.)

I like that they incorporated a Links-style power meter for the blastoff but they could have left wind to the golfers. I also like the change from having a target car to aim for instead of multiple powerups.

Despite some problems, the crashes are a fun diversion from the main game when you need a break for your thumbs and your pulse.

Anyone else had clipping errors? I've fallen through the tracks a number of times but fortunately it resets you on the track after a moment.

By the way, now I'm rank 9: Assassin!  Cool You can tell by the sore little callousy blister on my thumb.
pr0ner

Go Flames go!

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: September 16, 2005, 06:31:30 PM »

Quote from: "Lockdown"
Absolutely Mike.  You and Eco and Loomi all need to join us.  And anyone else for that matter.  I think it's 6 to a race over Live, right?

Devil and I are very selfless in games like this.  We'll hang out in back (by choice of course) and make sure noone sneaks up behind you guys.

Heh.  We need to set up a time!

Don't forget, Eco can't play.  He has no gamertag due to his use of a modded XBox, remember?   Tongue

Matt
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile WWW
« Reply #61 on: September 16, 2005, 08:16:01 PM »

I'm gonna have to join up with some of you guys also tonight so if anyone is playing look for my gamer tag..

Gamer tag= gball
Matt
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile WWW
« Reply #62 on: September 16, 2005, 08:19:07 PM »

So am I really the only one who is very disappointed that they completely took out the road rage single play events? Heck all of the single play events I mean its either you play world play or multipler. Theres no way to just randomly jump into races/road rage/crash mod by yourself just to kill time..

Anyone else upset about this? In burnout 3 after I almost completed the game and world play got boring I could just sit for hours playing single player road rage on random tracks all night. Nobody else has even mentioned this..

Gamer tag= gball
rrmorton

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: September 16, 2005, 08:24:43 PM »

Sorry for your loss but nope, it doesn't bother me. I'm all about beating the various World Tour events. I never once used the basic Road Rage mode in Takedown.
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: September 16, 2005, 08:58:30 PM »

Quote from: "Matt"
So am I really the only one who is very disappointed that they completely took out the road rage single play events? Heck all of the single play events I mean its either you play world play or multipler. Theres no way to just randomly jump into races/road rage/crash mod by yourself just to kill time..

Anyone else upset about this? In burnout 3 after I almost completed the game and world play got boring I could just sit for hours playing single player road rage on random tracks all night. Nobody else has even mentioned this..

I was going to pick it up this afternoon, but the lack of random Road Rage events (or the lack of being able to chose any random events) is giving me pause.  BO3 reached a point where the races were simply too hard and/or frustrating for me, so I spent a ton of time doing random races, mainly road rage.  If that is not available, it is going to seriously decrease the longevity of this game for me.  frown

“My next great decision is just lying in wait.
The action might turn out to be the world's most grievous mistake."
- Bad Religion, Past is Dead
Matt
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile WWW
« Reply #65 on: September 16, 2005, 09:21:59 PM »

Same here after about 2-3 weeks I'll be trading this game in or something because I don't want to be forced into world tour forever..It just amazes me this was overlooked and had I know this before hand I would have just rented it for a few weeks and been done with it..

Gamer tag= gball
Zarkon

View Profile WWW
« Reply #66 on: September 16, 2005, 10:38:31 PM »

Quote from: "pr0ner"

Don't forget, Eco can't play.  He has no gamertag due to his use of a modded XBox, remember?   Tongue

That's what modded Xboxes with the ability to turn OFF said mod chip is for. biggrin

As far as Live, I'm available tonight after about 1AM and tomorrow night.  Hate working overnights.
Dimmona

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: September 16, 2005, 11:47:21 PM »

I'll hop on around 9 or 10pm PST tonight if any west coast CGers are up for a game....

Xbox Live tag: Dimmona
DS WiFi Friends Codes
Wii Code: 6091 9321 3340 8417
Xbox360 Gamer Card
Graham
Managing Editor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #68 on: September 16, 2005, 11:56:37 PM »

That's what modded Xboxes with the ability to turn OFF said mod chip is for. biggrin

As far as Live, I'm available tonight after about 1AM and tomorrow night.  Hate working overnights.

Apparently it doesn't matter if it can be turned off or not.  If it detects one in the circuitry, bye bye Xbox Live.

Partial Owner of the World Champion Green Bay Packers
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: September 17, 2005, 01:13:15 AM »

I went ahead and picked it up today.  Impressions after an hour or so:

-  Either takedowns are much more difficult to execute, or I haven't found the 'sweet spot' yet.  In B3, I knew exactly how to hit a car to take them down from either the side or rear, but those same spots aren't effective in B3R.  Of course, it may just be a matter of finding those spots in this version.

-  The rubberband AI hasn't seemed to be a problem yet.  That's a very good thing.

-  Hate the traffic attack mode.  Smacking into all the same-way traffic felt like Pac-Man trying to run over the dots.  Lame.

-  Vertical takedowns are sweet.  I managed to take out 2 opponents using a 'death from above' move that left all kinds of carnage in it's wake.  Neat.

-  The takedown camera sucks.  On 3 occasions during my last race, the takedown slo-mo camera swung back and put me right in front of a wall with no time to react.  Not fun.

-  Being able to run into same-way traffic takes much of the thrill out of the race.  White knuckle driving while knowing I had to avoid everyone in B3 was most of the fun.  Knowing I can slam anyone with no penalty makes the game more dull.

-  Crash mode isn't nearly as fun without all the power ups.  And the golf swing start is stupid.

I don't know yet if B3R is better or worse than B3.  I'm leaning towards worse, but I'm going to give it a few more hours tonight and see improving my takedown abilities will help the enjoyment factor.  Judgement pending...

“My next great decision is just lying in wait.
The action might turn out to be the world's most grievous mistake."
- Bad Religion, Past is Dead
Zarkon

View Profile WWW
« Reply #70 on: September 17, 2005, 04:41:19 AM »

Quote from: "Graham"

Apparently it doesn't matter if it can be turned off or not.  If it detects one in the circuitry, bye bye Xbox Live.

That's the point of turning it off.  You can boot the Xbox without the modchip engaged, so there's nothing to detect.
pr0ner

Go Flames go!

View Profile
« Reply #71 on: September 17, 2005, 06:09:14 AM »

That's the point of turning it off.  You can boot the Xbox without the modchip engaged, so there's nothing to detect.

Apparently Microsoft was able to tell anyway.

rrmorton

View Profile
« Reply #72 on: September 17, 2005, 08:02:49 AM »

Day Three:
-Gold/Perfects: 100 out of 169
-Thumbs: Extremely Sore

The highlight of the day was a "Total Payback" in a Crashbreaker Race: all five opponents nailed with one crashbreaker. Suh-weet!  Cool
Dimmona

View Profile
« Reply #73 on: September 17, 2005, 05:18:14 PM »

Good games last night!  We'll have to do it again tonight...

DS WiFi Friends Codes
Xbox360 Gamer Card
Roguetad

View Profile
« Reply #74 on: September 17, 2005, 06:53:57 PM »

This game is freaking incredible.  Very slick presentation (over the top by design, but great).  I didn't think it was possible on the xbox, but they managed to improve all of the vehicle models, effects, and overall gameplay from BO3.  

Back to playing...
AgtFox

View Profile WWW
« Reply #75 on: September 17, 2005, 08:12:53 PM »

I just got back into town (had a family emergency), I'm not sure I can play tonight, but we'll see.  What time are you guys talking?  My review went up while I was gone if you guys want to read it or didn't see it on the front page.

Xbox Live: AgtFox
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

Thirty. Minutes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #76 on: September 17, 2005, 08:35:05 PM »

Other hardware mods, like hard disk replacement or space / allocation on the hard disk can reveal it just as well as detecting the mod chip itself.

They nuked 10,000 live accounts when Halo2 was released.

A lot of them were for hard drive size modification.

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
Dimmona

View Profile
« Reply #77 on: September 18, 2005, 01:12:57 AM »

I think I'm out tonight - I've got a bunch of guys coming over to play poker + Burnout, so I doubt I'll get a chance to venture online (unless somebody's still around after 1am PST).

DS WiFi Friends Codes
Xbox360 Gamer Card
Eco-Logic
Gaming Trend Member

Gamertag: St0ckBroker

View Profile
« Reply #78 on: September 18, 2005, 01:20:15 AM »

Apparently Microsoft was able to tell anyway.

My Xbox has a switch, and a safety guard to ensure the chip is turned off prior to getting online.

MS is able to detect the change in hardware (likely my 200 gig hd).  period.  There are definitely ways around it now, but on the day Halo 2 was released, myself and 1,000's of others were banned.

Go Gunners...
Zarkon

View Profile WWW
« Reply #79 on: September 18, 2005, 02:26:36 AM »

And my response is, honestly. *shrug*.  Live isn't that big a draw and I can always use the $50 elsewhere. biggrin

I'd much rather use my Xbox for the media center it has become (which is why it was modded, as well as the ability to run preview code for Console Gold).
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: