http://gamingtrend.com
December 21, 2014, 09:35:08 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Poll
Question: Is the demo swaying you to buy it, and for which platform? (3 votes per person)
Demo impressed me.
Demo didn't sway me either way.
Demo turned me off.
Demo inaccessible to me (no broadband, region lockout, silver account, or no interest)
PS3 - IN! Buying it Day 1.
PS3 - Maybe; I'll be waiting for impressions or a deal.
PS3 - Unlikely unless the forum effect catches me.
360 - IN! Buying it Day 1.
360 - Maybe; I'll be waiting for impressions or a deal.
360 - Unlikely unless the forum effect catches me.
ALL - OUT, no interest (dislike genre/company/product)

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Burnout Paradise : DEMO IMPRESSIONS! (newfangled poll too!)  (Read 20380 times)
Autistic Angel
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« Reply #240 on: February 06, 2009, 03:59:46 PM »

Yup, just like I promised, I've already purchased a copy of Burnout Paradise and downloaded the update.  I can't wait to start!

-Autistic Angel
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #241 on: February 06, 2009, 08:39:24 PM »

'Nother pack announced:

Cops & Robbers
Slotting in soon after the Party pack, Legendary Cars, Toy Cars and Boost Specials, comes another premium pack - Cops and Robbers. This one’s dedicated to bringing you the thrills and spills of cops and robbers car chases in Paradise City.

We’re keeping details of the pack under wraps for a little longer, but here are the first ever screen shots to keep you going! Check these stunning high resolution at www.criteriongames.com and on Sony’s excellent PlayStation Blog from Monday (9th February 2009)

Man, I've got to give them credit.  I've never seen any game with such a dedicated team behind it.

I have to wonder if this was a proposed strategy.  Instead of releasing a new version every year, you keep updating the one you've got.  I'd be interested to see the numbers on that.

Add to that Sony's recent comments that the PS3 is "future proof," and I wonder if we'll see the day where consoles become like plug-n-play PCs.  Where you head to the store every few years to buy new "Guts" at a cheaper price, but keep your basic unit.  Seems like it would be complicated, as you'd have to either make sure games could run on older versions as well as new ones, or make them extremely well labeled, so there'd be no confusion.

I guess we'll see how the Wii Motion Plus comes together.  If it becomes a requirement for some games, or if, as is my pipe dream, it works BC with all games, or if it's just a gimmick that won't be adopted enough.  If it's handled right, it could pave the way for the console I was mentioning above.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2009, 08:45:44 PM by Bullwinkle » Logged

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
Eduardo X

View Profile
« Reply #242 on: February 07, 2009, 08:35:57 AM »

Apparently, since Monday I've played over 7 hours!
And only tonight did I discover the power parking and showtime thingees. Downloading the game means no manual, and I honestly just had no idea those modes were in there. I wonder if I'm missing anything else.

PSN ID: EduardoX
Jeff
Special Project Group

View Profile
« Reply #243 on: February 07, 2009, 02:31:20 PM »

Quote from: Eduardo X on February 07, 2009, 08:35:57 AM

And only tonight did I discover the power parking and showtime thingees. Downloading the game means no manual, and I honestly just had no idea those modes were in there. I wonder if I'm missing anything else.

The Burnopedia
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #244 on: February 07, 2009, 02:33:15 PM »

Power parking?

Jeff
Special Project Group

View Profile
« Reply #245 on: February 07, 2009, 02:43:23 PM »

Still not having played this game much, can someone explain "Showtime" to me?

Also, is the Party Pack for local races only, or can it be used online somehow?
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #246 on: February 07, 2009, 03:07:26 PM »

Quote from: Jeff on February 07, 2009, 02:43:23 PM

Still not having played this game much, can someone explain "Showtime" to me?

Also, is the Party Pack for local races only, or can it be used online somehow?

The Party Pack is not only exclusively local, it also only uses one controller.

Showtime is the, frankly, limp version of Crash Mode from previous games.  It has it's charms and can be fun, but it's nowhere near what the originals did.  Basically, you hold down both shoulder buttons (on 360), and your car starts to flip over.  It adds traffic around you, and you use the A button to bounce into cars.  If you hit a bus, the multiplier goes up.  You can bounce until your boost meter empties, and hitting cars gives you boost, so, theoretically, it could be endless, though that doesn't seem to happen.  Again fun, but after you've done it a few times, you won't go back often, unless you're trying to own a road (best showtime and race time for the length of a road).

MonkeyFinger

View Profile
« Reply #247 on: February 07, 2009, 03:33:39 PM »

Quote from: Bullwinkle on February 07, 2009, 02:33:15 PM

Power parking?

High speed emergency brake parking between two other parked cars, one where you end up facing the opposite direction you started the manuever from.

-craig

PSx: MonkeyFinger
XBx: MonkeyPhinger
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #248 on: February 07, 2009, 04:32:10 PM »

Quote from: MonkeyFinger on February 07, 2009, 03:33:39 PM

Power parking?

High speed emergency brake parking between two other parked cars, one where you end up facing the opposite direction you started the manuever from.

Is that an actual event?  That's exactly what I pictured.  Wow, I've never seen that.

Eduardo X

View Profile
« Reply #249 on: February 07, 2009, 04:59:54 PM »

Quote from: Jeff on February 07, 2009, 02:31:20 PM

The Burnopedia
That's how I figured this stuff out!

Caine

My cocaine

View Profile WWW
« Reply #250 on: February 07, 2009, 07:14:50 PM »

Quote from: Bullwinkle on February 07, 2009, 04:32:10 PM

Quote from: MonkeyFinger on February 07, 2009, 03:33:39 PM

Power parking?

Is that an actual event?  That's exactly what I pictured.  Wow, I've never seen that.

you also get an achievement for it, both sp and due to a mp ach where you try to get the top random stats of the group. 

had i my 360 to play this, i think now i would.

Quote from: Bullwinkle on February 06, 2009, 08:39:24 PM

'Nother pack announced:

Cops & Robbers
Slotting in soon after the Party pack, Legendary Cars, Toy Cars and Boost Specials, comes another premium pack - Cops and Robbers. This one’s dedicated to bringing you the thrills and spills of cops and robbers car chases in Paradise City.

We’re keeping details of the pack under wraps for a little longer, but here are the first ever screen shots to keep you going! Check these stunning high resolution at www.criteriongames.com and on Sony’s excellent PlayStation Blog from Monday (9th February 2009)

Man, I've got to give them credit.  I've never seen any game with such a dedicated team behind it.

I have to wonder if this was a proposed strategy.  Instead of releasing a new version every year, you keep updating the one you've got.  I'd be interested to see the numbers on that.

Add to that Sony's recent comments that the PS3 is "future proof," and I wonder if we'll see the day where consoles become like plug-n-play PCs.  Where you head to the store every few years to buy new "Guts" at a cheaper price, but keep your basic unit.  Seems like it would be complicated, as you'd have to either make sure games could run on older versions as well as new ones, or make them extremely well labeled, so there'd be no confusion.

I guess we'll see how the Wii Motion Plus comes together.  If it becomes a requirement for some games, or if, as is my pipe dream, it works BC with all games, or if it's just a gimmick that won't be adopted enough.  If it's handled right, it could pave the way for the console I was mentioning above.

don't forget, they are expecting to add a whole separate island sometime down the road (or did that already happen?  it's been a while since i kept up with the news)

MonkeyFinger

View Profile
« Reply #251 on: February 08, 2009, 12:23:26 AM »

Quote from: Caine on February 07, 2009, 07:14:50 PM

don't forget, they are expecting to add a whole separate island sometime down the road (or did that already happen?  it's been a while since i kept up with the news)

Still down the road... and across the bridge.  icon_wink

-craig

Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #252 on: February 08, 2009, 12:30:09 AM »

Quote from: MonkeyFinger on February 08, 2009, 12:23:26 AM

Quote from: Caine on February 07, 2009, 07:14:50 PM

Still down the road... and across the bridge.  icon_wink

I heard the Crash FM guy (what, DJ Atomica or somesuch?) talking about an island that you could jump to somewhere.  Like an exclusive thing for the wealthy.  I know it's not the same thing as the planned DLC, but has anybody found that?

coopasonic

View Profile WWW
« Reply #253 on: February 08, 2009, 12:45:13 PM »

So I downloaded the 1.6 update, won a few races and it reminded me how much I prefer Midnight Club: LA so I switched and layed that for a few hours. Something about winning a race and seeing a screen come up saying, "win 38 more races to upgrade your license" turned me off.

It was this moment that took the movie from being a little ho-hum to “holy shit, did that shark just eat a plane!?”
Kemper Boyd
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #254 on: February 08, 2009, 08:42:18 PM »

Okay, so I just bought the game and started playing this morning.

I am really impressed so far. My last experience with open world racing - NFS:MW - left a pretty bad taste in my mouth. I hated having to drive around looking for stuff to do. BP changes all that because there is constantly something to do. Also, the roads are so forgiving that I barely even have to learn the layout of the city at this point. I saw a "hairpin" curve on the map and I figured I might want to avoid it at this point, but I was basically able to make it with virtually no easing off on the accelerator. I love that shit. I understand that later cars and higher speeds will require an adjustment, but letting me actually have fun at the start of the game is just plain awesome.

I have high hopes that this game will really deliver in the long run...
Chaz

View Profile
« Reply #255 on: February 08, 2009, 09:03:37 PM »

As awesome as it is that they've put so many changes into the game, my problem is that I just don't have the hard drive space for it.  Partly that's because I like to keep my current game installed (especially since the last few games I've played (Fable 2, Lost Odyssey) have basically required it), I don't have room for the close to 1 gig of space that the Burnout updates take up.  Really, it's MS's fault for not making the hard drive upgrades more affordable.

I think I'm going to pick up one of the $100 120 GB drives from the Amazon marketplace soon.  Anyone have any experience with those?

Jeff
Special Project Group

View Profile
« Reply #256 on: February 08, 2009, 11:25:51 PM »

Quote from: Chaz on February 08, 2009, 09:03:37 PM

I think I'm going to pick up one of the $100 120 GB drives from the Amazon marketplace soon.  Anyone have any experience with those?

A used one? yikes, that would be scary. I'd love to have the 120, but so far have been reluctant to pay their Mafia style price. I'm hoping MS will hear the complaints and drop them to at least $99. At that price, I'd go for it.
Kemper Boyd
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #257 on: February 08, 2009, 11:45:37 PM »

I just don't see MS dropping the price on the drive any time soon - a $99 HD + an Arcade competes with the Elite too much at this point (...and mostly invalidates the Pro). When I found my 120GB drive on clearance at Target in October for $89.98, I snapped it up even though I didn't even own a 360 yet. My buying decision became even better when the Jasper Arcade units were released in mid November. I bet a lot of tech savvy late adopters would do the same.
Jeff
Special Project Group

View Profile
« Reply #258 on: February 09, 2009, 04:56:27 PM »

Criterion has done an amazing job at maintaining this game, and the premium content planned for 2009 looks almost Blizzard/WoW like in it's scope. They have breathed new life into this one.

That said, the interface blows. Ok, maybe my interface navigation skills suck, but I have yet to be able to find something as simple as pulling up the city map. I can't find the control scheme (this is on a PS3 btw). I wanted to check to see what the various controls were set to. I got my copy used from gamestop and didn't get a manual (I found a 360 pdf manual online but not PS3).  The menu system in the game seems really weird to me.

Also, DJ Atomica is very quiet. I can barely hear him talking. Everything else is loud, including the music, which I turned down but still can just barely hear Atomica.

Lastly, does anyone know how to add your own music to the PS3 version?
Kemper Boyd
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #259 on: February 09, 2009, 05:53:29 PM »

Quote from: Jeff on February 09, 2009, 04:56:27 PM

Also, DJ Atomica is very quiet. I can barely hear him talking. Everything else is loud, including the music, which I turned down but still can just barely hear Atomica.
I think that is is actually a good thing, no?  Tongue

Also, the munus on the 360 are accessed by the d-pad. Not sure if this is valid for the PS3.
Dreamshadow

View Profile WWW
« Reply #260 on: February 10, 2009, 02:24:32 AM »

Criterion has done an amazing job at maintaining this game, and the premium content planned for 2009 looks almost Blizzard/WoW like in it's scope. They have breathed new life into this one.

That said, the interface blows. Ok, maybe my interface navigation skills suck, but I have yet to be able to find something as simple as pulling up the city map. I can't find the control scheme (this is on a PS3 btw). I wanted to check to see what the various controls were set to. I got my copy used from gamestop and didn't get a manual (I found a 360 pdf manual online but not PS3).  The menu system in the game seems really weird to me.

On the 360, the music and sound are quiet, and Atomica is loud now. smile  Been racing my head off to get my A class License (I think), also been working on the motorcycles too.  It's fun.

Tom "Dreamshadow" Tjarks
Aunt Wu: Care to hear your fortune, handsome?
Iroh: At my age there is really only one big surprise left, and I'd just as soon leave it a mystery.
Dreamshadow

View Profile WWW
« Reply #261 on: February 10, 2009, 02:24:54 AM »

Quote from: Kemper Boyd on February 09, 2009, 05:53:29 PM

I think that is is actually a good thing, no?  Tongue

Also, the munus on the 360 are accessed by the d-pad. Not sure if this is valid for the PS3.

On the 360, what he wants is the Back button...but he's on a PS3.....

Tom "Dreamshadow" Tjarks
Aunt Wu: Care to hear your fortune, handsome?
Iroh: At my age there is really only one big surprise left, and I'd just as soon leave it a mystery.
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #262 on: February 10, 2009, 05:28:00 AM »

Hit Select to bring up the map, or Start to bring up the stats page. From either of those you can hit the L1 or R1 buttons to navigate to other menus, including the options-menu (where you can configure sound and soundtracks). There's of course also the Easy Drive menu available while driving by pressing the right arrow key.
Jeff
Special Project Group

View Profile
« Reply #263 on: February 10, 2009, 04:00:50 PM »

Thanks for the info. I knew about the "Fast" menu thing, but none of it makes any sense to me. They buried the options menu 4-5 clicks deep (also there was no sound option for Atomica's voice, so no luck there). The Start button should bring up a regular menu that has game options on it. I appreciate the stats, and the game tracks a bazillion of them, but the city map should've been assigned to a button itself IMO. And I still don't see any controller mapping, either editing or informational.

Are people playing on Live? if so, I might trade out my PS3 version for the 360 version.
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #264 on: February 10, 2009, 09:18:53 PM »

Quote from: Jeff on February 10, 2009, 04:00:50 PM

Thanks for the info. I knew about the "Fast" menu thing, but none of it makes any sense to me. They buried the options menu 4-5 clicks deep (also there was no sound option for Atomica's voice, so no luck there). The Start button should bring up a regular menu that has game options on it. I appreciate the stats, and the game tracks a bazillion of them, but the city map should've been assigned to a button itself IMO. And I still don't see any controller mapping, either editing or informational.

Are people playing on Live? if so, I might trade out my PS3 version for the 360 version.

Don't tell me you've never even attempted to press the Select button while in the game, despite looking for a map button AND despite me saying in my last post that the Select button opens the map. I guess I've done all I can to help by this point... Tongue
Eduardo X

View Profile
« Reply #265 on: February 11, 2009, 04:37:43 AM »

I am about 13 events from my Burnout license, but I almost feel like I've seen it all. Maybe I need to do more online racing, but THERE IS HARDLY ANY RACING in online racing.

Jeff
Special Project Group

View Profile
« Reply #266 on: February 11, 2009, 04:43:04 AM »

Quote from: Eduardo X on February 11, 2009, 04:37:43 AM

I am about 13 events from my Burnout license, but I almost feel like I've seen it all. Maybe I need to do more online racing, but THERE IS HARDLY ANY RACING in online racing.

Could we get a get a GT group up for some online racing? I just ordered the 360 version today from Amazon (they have it for $19.99).

TiLT, thanks for the heads up. Sorry I missed the obvious on the map ... durrr. I blame beer. 
Eduardo X

View Profile
« Reply #267 on: February 11, 2009, 05:56:31 AM »

I do PS3 only! I refuse to buy games for my 360 after 2 of them broke.
So now I don't play online, really. frown

TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #268 on: February 11, 2009, 07:06:23 AM »

Quote from: Eduardo X on February 11, 2009, 05:56:31 AM

Why not play online with the PS3? I've been playing Burnout Paradise online in the last 3 evenings, and it has been an absolutely painless experience (if you don't consider how stupid most of the players are :p )
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #269 on: February 11, 2009, 01:21:07 PM »

You might want to change your avatar, then.

Eduardo X

View Profile
« Reply #270 on: February 12, 2009, 06:09:03 PM »

Quote from: Bullwinkle on February 11, 2009, 01:21:07 PM

You might want to change your avatar, then.
But I'm lazy!

I've been playing online as well, on the PS3, but there usually aren't too many of my friends playing online.
I even joined a couple of your games a few days ago, Tilt!

Jeff
Special Project Group

View Profile
« Reply #271 on: February 19, 2009, 07:28:03 PM »

1.7 is out. 872 mb
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #272 on: February 19, 2009, 08:36:42 PM »

Legendary Cars are out, too.

Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #273 on: April 30, 2009, 09:27:45 PM »

And a new massive patch plus the Cops & Robbers content is out.  Has anyone tried it?  It seems like a cool game mode, but small in the why-am-I-paying-for-this sense.

Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #274 on: April 30, 2009, 09:50:53 PM »

Quote from: Bullwinkle on April 30, 2009, 09:27:45 PM

And a new massive patch plus the Cops & Robbers content is out.  Has anyone tried it?  It seems like a cool game mode, but small in the why-am-I-paying-for-this sense.

Is the new island out soon? I haven't checked in in a while.

"Is there any chance your jolly Garchomp is female?" - Wonderpug
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #275 on: April 30, 2009, 10:04:16 PM »

Replay feature adds the fun into this game.
(I hijacked my buddies copy for the PS3 a month ago and refuse to give it back)

It is now officially worth owning. Too bad there is no more crash modes.

How well does the PSN download version work? Anyone have it?

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
MonkeyFinger

View Profile
« Reply #276 on: May 01, 2009, 05:41:34 AM »

Quote from: Teggy on April 30, 2009, 09:50:53 PM

Quote from: Bullwinkle on April 30, 2009, 09:27:45 PM

Is the new island out soon? I haven't checked in in a while.

Not yet.

-craig

Godzilla Blitz

View Profile
« Reply #277 on: May 18, 2009, 05:29:14 PM »

Rise, oh thread...

Late to the party, but I got a Driving Force GT wheel a little while ago and I picked up Burnout Paradise to test it out with. Had a blast driving around last night. This is a laid back, fun racing game.

I don't mean to sound ungrateful, as they've added a bunch of free content to the game, but doesn't the downloadable content you have to pay for seem really expensive? As in a few dollars for one new car to drive around? And although the Cops & Robbers mode looks fun, isn't $10 expensive when you consider that the price of the whole game is $19.99 now?

PS3 name is GBlitz if anyone is still playing online.

Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #278 on: May 18, 2009, 05:46:14 PM »

I have this game,and one thing...no splitscreen MP?? That just ruined the game experience for me -thats what I've been playing burnout games in the last few years. Also, I dont get the whole open world thing, I'd much rather just select what I want to do, instead of having to find it somewhere

A new one
Godzilla Blitz

View Profile
« Reply #279 on: May 18, 2009, 05:52:57 PM »

I thought I saw split screen mode available as a download last night, but I was blurry after driving for two hours straight so I might be wrong. The download wasn't free, though, if I remember correctly.

To each his own on this one, I guess, but I love the open world concept in the game. So much spontaneous stuff to do, so much randomness to the action. I like it better than navigating menus, which always seems kind of dry to me.

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: