http://gamingtrend.com
November 21, 2014, 02:34:49 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Poll
Question: Is the demo swaying you to buy it, and for which platform? (3 votes per person)
Demo impressed me.
Demo didn't sway me either way.
Demo turned me off.
Demo inaccessible to me (no broadband, region lockout, silver account, or no interest)
PS3 - IN! Buying it Day 1.
PS3 - Maybe; I'll be waiting for impressions or a deal.
PS3 - Unlikely unless the forum effect catches me.
360 - IN! Buying it Day 1.
360 - Maybe; I'll be waiting for impressions or a deal.
360 - Unlikely unless the forum effect catches me.
ALL - OUT, no interest (dislike genre/company/product)

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Burnout Paradise : DEMO IMPRESSIONS! (newfangled poll too!)  (Read 20319 times)
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #200 on: March 05, 2008, 05:43:51 AM »

Huh, no restart feature.

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #201 on: March 05, 2008, 02:57:10 PM »

Quote from: Ridah on March 05, 2008, 04:39:17 AM

EA continues to prove that it supports their games after release, as opposed to what some like to infer.

They're adjusting AI NOW? Sound distortion looking back? A button hammering locks the game? "Some online race start points face the players in the wrong direction"  saywhat

Sounds like version 0.8b was released as gold; they should have gotten it right before release. slywink

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #202 on: March 05, 2008, 03:08:55 PM »

Quote from: Bullwinkle on March 05, 2008, 05:43:51 AM

Huh, no restart feature.

Dude, you know its not happening. You don't like it. WE ALL GET IT NOW. Come on, move on. It's not in the stars for this game. It's not the design.
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #203 on: March 05, 2008, 04:34:51 PM »

Quote from: Calvin on March 05, 2008, 03:08:55 PM

Quote from: Bullwinkle on March 05, 2008, 05:43:51 AM

Huh, no restart feature.

Dude, you know its not happening. You don't like it. WE ALL GET IT NOW. Come on, move on. It's not in the stars for this game. It's not the design.

You know, Calvin, I've been pretty straightforward in my opinions here.  I'm not sure why they're less valid of being stated.

There are certain aspects of this game that I truly love.  That makes the frustrating side even worse.  Add to that the arrogance of the designers forcing their style on you and utterly ignoring customer feedback, and, yeah, that leads to me actually hoping that they'll put the standard-in-other-games "feature" in.

Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #204 on: March 05, 2008, 04:40:29 PM »

Considering dramatic changes that Crackdown rec'd with its DLC "patch" it wouldn't have been unreasonable to see a feature like that added to Paradise. The fact that some of that stuff got through QC = retard

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
Caine

My cocaine

View Profile WWW
« Reply #205 on: March 06, 2008, 07:32:08 PM »

- The game indefinitely displays "Connecting to Paradise City Servers" if it's having problems pinging the rebroadcast server.

i encountered this a few times and it was very annoying.  the only way out was to exit to dashboard.  glad to see they fixed this.

Xmann

Ironman in training

View Profile
« Reply #206 on: March 11, 2008, 12:57:01 PM »

looks like DLC coming for  Burnout Paradise

http://www.xbox360fanboy.com/2008/03/08/burnout-paradise-dust-storm-dlc-and-bridges-too/

Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #207 on: March 11, 2008, 03:56:42 PM »

Quote from: Xmann on March 11, 2008, 12:57:01 PM

So if the DLC is all available over a bridge, does that mean that if I want to drive one of the new vehicles I can only do it on the other side of said bridge? 

Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #208 on: April 05, 2008, 12:09:27 AM »

Criterion has announced they are making major changes to the game over the next year. 

Here's the blurb (from GamesRadar):
Criterion says that three updates it has in the works will "transform Paradise over the coming year."

These updates will be so significant, Criterion says, that giving them the usual numbered names just isn't enough.

"You may have noticed us referring to our future new content by codenames. Just to clarify - you'll see them in this order 'Cagney', then 'Davis' and then 'Eastwood'," teases Criterion.

It goes on to boast: "What we're working on now goes way beyond conventional content updates, so we figured the usual 1.1, 1.2 version numbers didn't do it justice.

"We will TRANSFORM Paradise over the coming year," it adds promisingly, saying that it plans to reveal all as soon as possible.

"We want to tell you what we're making and why. We want to know what you think and you better believe we're listening to what you have to say," reads the official site.

Exciting, isn't it? You may have smashed through all the billboards and unlocked every car, but don't swap your Burnout Paradise disc just yet.

And yes, Calvin, I am hoping that the line about listening to what we have to say (which is in direct contrast to what they'd said before) will mean that race restarts will be part of the major changes.  Also, a more traditional crash mode.

Of course, they sound like they're adding some other cool things as well.

This has the potential to be one of the greatest racing games ever made, instead of the divisive one it is now.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2008, 12:11:03 AM by Bullwinkle » Logged

EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #209 on: April 05, 2008, 03:32:53 AM »

Since when has a console game ever been referred to in the "1.1, 1.2 version numbers" manner? 

Sandwiches do fix everything.
Xmann

Ironman in training

View Profile
« Reply #210 on: April 23, 2008, 11:41:13 PM »

motorcycles!!!

http://www.joystiq.com/2008/04/23/burnout-paradise-getting-motorcycles-night-driving-this-august/

Bob

View Profile
« Reply #211 on: April 24, 2008, 01:16:44 AM »

Quote from: Xmann on April 23, 2008, 11:41:13 PM

I'm more interested in night driving.  I also want to see how they handle the motorcyclists though, since they seemed to have gone out there way initially to have no drivers in the cars.
Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #212 on: May 12, 2008, 07:43:24 PM »

There's no thread for impressions of the retail version, so...

I finally got online with this the other night with a bunch of friends and it was a blast. There was 5 of us, so we spent most of our time doing the 5 person challenges, and in between challenges we were experimenting with stunts (seeing who could do the best flatspin or if we could fly over the crane in the airfield, etc.), and the time just flew by.  The online is going to get so much better in June when they add Marked Man, Stunt Run and Road Rage to the online events, because while the challenges are a lot of fun, once you are done with them, you've lost some guidance in what to do during your session.  The racing definitely has its weaknesses, but I'm ok with that because the other stuff is so much fun.  If I want to race I can always play a different game.

The one thing that is little silly about the challenges is the restriction by number of people.  If you have 5 friends online together and you want to work on your 4 person challenges you have to send someone packing or just not do them.  They are adding 70 more challenges in the June release as well, which is great.  With cycles and new islands, this game should stay in our multiplayer rotation for a while.

Playing this on Saturday night actually pulled me away from GTA on Sunday because I got the urge to go in and make some more progress.  I'm now 51% done, with 39 cars. I've found all the billboards and crashes (without a guide, yay me!), but I have so far been unable to find the very last super jump in White Mountain and also am missing 1 event, which is surprising because I figure I must have gone through every intersection on the map by now.  Right now I'm concentrating on doing all the Burning Routes for the cars I have, which will should leave me with a lot less regular events to do to get my Burnout License.

"Is there any chance your jolly Garchomp is female?" - Wonderpug
PointerOO
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #213 on: May 13, 2008, 05:48:23 PM »

Picked this up after playing the demo (which was a bit annoying as it kept coming up Event Locked every time I tried to race!) and wanting more. Wow what a game. The sense of speed is fantastic and there is nothing better than somebody in front of you crashing an bits of car flying all around you! Love the way new cars cruise around town and you take them down to get the car. Not loving showtime at all but I have only tried it once and I didn't really know what I was doing. Must try out multiplayer tonight if I get a chance.
Dreamshadow

View Profile WWW
« Reply #214 on: May 13, 2008, 05:57:10 PM »

Knowing that the publisher/dev was still working on content for the title (free even) encouraged me to pick this one up, despite knowing I'll prolly never actually see the Burnout Elite license. It's been fun.  I enjoy the races more than anything, but Marked Man isn't bad.  I've found the secret to Marked man is to stay off the main streets.  I've not seen the crushers follow me on ANY secret/smash path at all.  It'll be fun to see what real drivers will do in those situations. I need to get more cars though.  I'm 15 wins away from my next license and only have 28 cars.

Tom "Dreamshadow" Tjarks
Aunt Wu: Care to hear your fortune, handsome?
Iroh: At my age there is really only one big surprise left, and I'd just as soon leave it a mystery.
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #215 on: November 07, 2008, 07:42:14 PM »

Aw, holy hell!  Reviving a dead movie franchise in such a sweet ass way is reason enough to resurrect this forum.  RISE, etc.

http://kotaku.com/5079670/burnout-paradise-goes-back-to-the-future

Just to save you the hassle, here are the pics:

And, when you hit boost, two flaming trails roll out from behind your tires (no word on if you have to be going 88 MPH).

The Grue

You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

View Profile
« Reply #216 on: November 07, 2008, 07:54:22 PM »

Yes, I saw this and I approve.

XBox Live ID: The Grue
Playstation Network Name: TheGrue
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #217 on: December 07, 2008, 04:43:27 PM »

Giddy factor finally rising.  This better not just be PC:  http://littlebigplanetps3.webs.com/othernews.htm

Autistic Angel

View Profile
« Reply #218 on: December 07, 2008, 05:40:14 PM »

Is that really true?

Seriously: the only reason I haven't purchased Paradise at the myriad of $15-$20 sales this year is because of the insane lack of a "Restart Event" feature.  If that's going to be patched in, I'll buy it today!

-Autistic Angel
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #219 on: December 07, 2008, 06:11:13 PM »

Quote from: Autistic Angel on December 07, 2008, 05:40:14 PM

Is that really true?

Seriously: the only reason I haven't purchased Paradise at the myriad of $15-$20 sales this year is because of the insane lack of a "Restart Event" feature.  If that's going to be patched in, I'll buy it today!

-Autistic Angel

Well, at this point, that seems to be in the PC version.  No word has come about the consoles.  However, if they don't add it, they're just dicks.

EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #220 on: December 07, 2008, 06:20:56 PM »

Hot damn, that tiny addition of being able to restart would make me want to revisit this one for sure.  They have been great about supporting the game with free additions, I'm surprised this hasn't come out sooner.

disarm

my moral standing is lying down...

View Profile
« Reply #221 on: December 07, 2008, 07:11:14 PM »

it will probably show up on consoles as part of the upcoming large DLC package that you have to buy...

*Gamertag - disarm78*
Now Playing: Grand Theft Auto V
MonkeyFinger

View Profile
« Reply #222 on: December 07, 2008, 10:33:07 PM »

Quote from: Bullwinkle on December 07, 2008, 06:11:13 PM

Quote from: Autistic Angel on December 07, 2008, 05:40:14 PM

Is that really true?

-Autistic Angel

Well, at this point, that seems to be in the PC version.  No word has come about the consoles.  However, if they don't add it, they're just dicks.

Not sure why people think this would just be the PC version. They mention in the podcast and on the Products page for "The Ultimate Box" that it will be on the PS3, the 360 and "for the first time ever" the PC. So it seems that the PC gets the focus because it will be brand new on that platform, but everything will be available across the board including the "Party Pack" and the "mountain of new refinements" in February 2009.

-craig

PSx: MonkeyFinger
XBx: MonkeyPhinger
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #223 on: January 09, 2009, 07:28:20 PM »

http://www.joystiq.com/2009/01/09/burnout-dlc-adds-ecto-1-kitt-and-the-general-lee-parodies/

There's a video of the BTTF DeLorean in action.  They have also announced versions of Ecto-1, KITT, and the General Lee, there are some pics and rotating shots, but nothing really showing them off in motion. 

The bummer on these is that they had to tweak them.  So, obviously, the Ecto-1 doesn't have a ghostbusters logo (and has blue accents, but you can change that) and KITT's lights are blue (not sure if that can be changed).  The worst is the General Lee.  It's shown in white, but that can be changed.  However, it's got a Mexican flag on it.  Ugh.  I still appreciate the effort, and understand why they aren't exact dupes, but that one is a bit of a letdown.  Couldn't they have gotten away with stars and stripes that don't look exactly like the confederate flag? 

They talk about each of the horns doing something cool, but I'm a little nervous about the fake General Lee.

EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #224 on: January 10, 2009, 04:19:10 AM »

I think they could have gone with the Union Jack and been close enough to the old Confederate flag without the negative connotations.  Plus, with English developers it would have been a little tongue in cheek nod to them.  Oh, well, it's not like I'll pay for these anyway.

The Grue

You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

View Profile
« Reply #225 on: January 10, 2009, 06:37:31 AM »

Quote from: Bullwinkle on January 09, 2009, 07:28:20 PM

They talk about each of the horns doing something cool, but I'm a little nervous about the fake General Lee.

Probably going to play La Cucaracha or some other silly Mexican-themed song.

XBox Live ID: The Grue
Playstation Network Name: TheGrue
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #226 on: January 10, 2009, 03:05:37 PM »

Quote from: The Grue on January 10, 2009, 06:37:31 AM

Quote from: Bullwinkle on January 09, 2009, 07:28:20 PM

Probably going to play La Cucaracha or some other silly Mexican-themed song.

I bet you're right.

hitbyambulance

View Profile WWW
« Reply #227 on: January 12, 2009, 05:35:56 AM »

http://www.shacknews.com/onearticle.x/55669

Burnout Paradise: The Ultimate Box will have all the new features and 'fixes' in it for PS3, Xbox360 and PC. current owners will be able to get the new stuff by buying the DLC.
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #228 on: January 23, 2009, 05:06:53 PM »

This is from Kotaku, so reality's mileage may vary, but other indicators have pointed to it.  http://kotaku.com/5137908/free-february-burnout-update-detailed-+-restart

The most exciting change, however, is the ability to restart a race. It's the simplest feature for a racing game, yet it never quite made it in - until now, of course. It'll be like you've started all over again.

Is Feb 6 going to bring the perfect racing game?

coopasonic

View Profile WWW
« Reply #229 on: January 23, 2009, 05:15:10 PM »

Quote from: Bullwinkle on January 23, 2009, 05:06:53 PM

This is from Kotaku, so reality's mileage may vary, but other indicators have pointed to it.  http://kotaku.com/5137908/free-february-burnout-update-detailed-+-restart

The most exciting change, however, is the ability to restart a race. It's the simplest feature for a racing game, yet it never quite made it in - until now, of course. It'll be like you've started all over again.

But that will cause a loading screen. No don't do it!!!

icon_twisted

It was this moment that took the movie from being a little ho-hum to “holy shit, did that shark just eat a plane!?”
Chaz

View Profile
« Reply #230 on: January 23, 2009, 05:27:28 PM »

Hell, this was the reason I never wound up playing much of it.  Now I might actually play it.

Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #231 on: January 23, 2009, 06:05:11 PM »

Quote from: coopasonic on January 23, 2009, 05:15:10 PM

Quote from: Bullwinkle on January 23, 2009, 05:06:53 PM

But that will cause a loading screen. No don't do it!!!

icon_twisted

Hey, it only took them a year to realize it was an asinine decision and fix it.

Now if only they'd put in a full-blown crash mode and made the map easier to read in intense racing, it could be perfect.  Still, this was my biggest gripe by far, so I'll take it.  Actually, I'm extremely impressed that they're doing so much for this game even a year later.

Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #232 on: February 05, 2009, 02:05:43 PM »

The update is out now, apparently.

EDIT:  There is an regular title update AND the Part Pack for 800 points.  I downloaded both, and maybe I'm missing somethng, but I don't see any way to restart a race.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2009, 04:38:09 PM by Bullwinkle » Logged

MonkeyFinger

View Profile
« Reply #233 on: February 05, 2009, 07:34:39 PM »

If you watch Episode 21 of "Crash TV" on the Criterion site you'll see them restarting a race. From what I recall, it's off the "EZ Drive menu" but don't recall exactly where... sorry.

-craig

Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #234 on: February 05, 2009, 07:54:23 PM »

It may be that the update I received is an old one, and there is another one due today at some point.  Kind of annoying that the party pack is out but not the patch to use it.  I don't have the option to run the party pack yet, so I'm thinking that's the case.

Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #235 on: February 06, 2009, 04:35:15 AM »

It looks like the patch is delayed.  Hopefully tomorrow.

It's kind of annoying that you can buy the Party Pack but can't use it.

Here's what Criterion says:

If you're an Xbox 360 player waiting for to play Burnout Party, please be aware that we're having some difficulties deploying the update that supports this pack.  If you've purchased the pack via Xbox Live Marketplace, it should work once the 1.60 patch has been deployed.

We're working around the clock with Microsoft to resolve this issue and will post, when we have news.

If you're a PS3 or PC player having trouble accessing the Criterion Games Network (our in-game browser pages), we're also attemptoing to resolve this and will post as soon as we have progress to report.  We hope to get this working in time to bring you news of a new pack for 2009 tomorrow.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2009, 04:38:42 AM by Bullwinkle » Logged

Eduardo X

View Profile
« Reply #236 on: February 06, 2009, 04:37:02 AM »

I got the patch on my PS3, and it is fabulous. To restart, use your d-pad.

PSN ID: EduardoX
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #237 on: February 06, 2009, 02:43:10 PM »

Well, the patch is out for the 360.  It doesn't work like a regular patch, you have to actually get to the news screen.  Then, when it updates, it'll ask if you want to apply it.

I tried Party Mode.  At first, I was a little irked, because I was kind of tricked into buying it (not maliciously on Criterion's or Microsoft's part, I mostly tricked myself).  Since the update didn't happen, I thought you might have to get the Party Pack to make it work.  You don't.  Anyway, I played by myself as two players.  It's a surprising amount of fun! 

Basically, you choose the number of players (2-8), then the number of rounds.  The rounds default to random, but you can choose what you want to play.  They are short challenges.  Make the jump over the damn, take out two billboards, drive the longest in the oncoming lane, drift around a fountain with the steering controls reversed, get to the top of a car park then jump to the ground, etc.  There's a little bit of a load for each one, but it's not unmanageable, IMO.  The winner of a round gets points, the loser doesn't.  Whoever has the most points at the end wins.  I wasn't expecting much, but I can see this getting a lot of play.  Hopefully, there's a big enough selection of events.

Hopefully, I can convince my wife to try it (she was a big fan of the original Crash Mode-I should check to see if that's one of the round choices, actually).  Maybe my 5 year old will be able to pull some things off, too.  It's a real shame there's no Live functionality with this.  With luck, it'll come eventually.

I'm about to tackle the game itself with the new restart function!  Yeah!

MonkeyFinger

View Profile
« Reply #238 on: February 06, 2009, 03:10:29 PM »

For the restart, it's "right" on the d-pad or arrows for the normal "EZ Drive" stuff and you'll see one of two new options - Restart current event if you're in one, or Restart previous event for the last one you completed.

-craig

Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #239 on: February 06, 2009, 03:53:42 PM »

Quote from: MonkeyFinger on February 06, 2009, 03:10:29 PM

For the restart, it's "right" on the d-pad or arrows for the normal "EZ Drive" stuff and you'll see one of two new options - Restart current event if you're in one, or Restart previous event for the last one you completed.

I have seen it and done it.  It makes such a huge difference, you really wonder why the hell it wasn't there in the first place.  I don't think there's any real load time, either.  The biggest bummer is you have to sit through the race description again.  Not a big deal, but I wonder if they don't make you go through it as a punishment.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2009, 05:03:33 PM by Bullwinkle » Logged

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: