http://gamingtrend.com
September 20, 2014, 12:05:51 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Poll
Question: Is the demo swaying you to buy it, and for which platform? (3 votes per person)
Demo impressed me.
Demo didn't sway me either way.
Demo turned me off.
Demo inaccessible to me (no broadband, region lockout, silver account, or no interest)
PS3 - IN! Buying it Day 1.
PS3 - Maybe; I'll be waiting for impressions or a deal.
PS3 - Unlikely unless the forum effect catches me.
360 - IN! Buying it Day 1.
360 - Maybe; I'll be waiting for impressions or a deal.
360 - Unlikely unless the forum effect catches me.
ALL - OUT, no interest (dislike genre/company/product)

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Burnout Paradise : DEMO IMPRESSIONS! (newfangled poll too!)  (Read 20198 times)
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile WWW
« Reply #40 on: December 14, 2007, 02:17:03 PM »

Is there a pause and restart option when you've completed a race?

What about overmap shortcuts?

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: December 14, 2007, 02:52:23 PM »

I understand what you mean about wanting to restart the race afterwards, and I'm not sure if they will have a shortcut like NFS:MW did.  I don't understand the complaints about the minimap though.  Many people are saying it's hard to read and I had no such problem at all.  Foudn my way around town with ease between the minimap and the compass and the street signs at the top of the screen.
The Grue

You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: December 14, 2007, 03:16:06 PM »

I played the PS3 version last night and it reminded me a great deal of Test Drive: Unlimited.  I did have one issue where I kept getting disconnected from online races.  Not sure what the deal with that was.  I played Eye of Judgment with a friend afterwards online and had no issues, so it must be something either with EA's servers.

For some reason, the game didn't really grab me.  I like the Burnout city, but something about adding in the open world stuff seems to take away from the fun.  I liked the open world in Test Drive, but for some reason it doesn't do the same thing for me here.  I will play it a bit more to see if something clicks.

XBox Live ID: The Grue
Playstation Network Name: TheGrue
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: December 14, 2007, 03:17:34 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on December 14, 2007, 07:36:11 AM

I grabbed the demo off of XBL, but I think I'll wait a week or so before playing it  Tongue
Sometimes you are awesome. SUCK IT WHINERS biggrin
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: December 14, 2007, 03:30:45 PM »

Quote from: Harkonis on December 14, 2007, 02:52:23 PM

I understand what you mean about wanting to restart the race afterwards, and I'm not sure if they will have a shortcut like NFS:MW did.  I don't understand the complaints about the minimap though.  Many people are saying it's hard to read and I had no such problem at all.  Foudn my way around town with ease between the minimap and the compass and the street signs at the top of the screen.

Maybe I was missing something, but it didn't look like the actual race starting point showed up on the minimap.  I saw icons for the gas station, paint store, and junkyard (?), but there was no icon highlighting where the race actually started.  I had to open the large Start menu map, see where it was, then try to remember the street route to get there.   If they allowed some sort of fast travel (i.e. selecting the race start icon the Start menu map teleported you there), it would eliminate a lot of the confusion.

“My next great decision is just lying in wait.
The action might turn out to be the world's most grievous mistake."
- Bad Religion, Past is Dead
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: December 14, 2007, 03:31:09 PM »

Quote from: Purge on December 14, 2007, 02:17:03 PM

Is there a pause and restart option when you've completed a race?

What about overmap shortcuts?

No and no.

Quote from: Harkonis on December 14, 2007, 01:22:22 PM

I really like this game a lot.  They removed the stuff I didn't like about the burnout series (the intentionally driving through cars and the like) and the added the open world aspect which I've really grown to love.

There is still the same racing feel that you loved in the old games, you just have to start an event to get it.  Not sure why people are having an issue with that.

I played multiplayer for almost 3 hours yesterday and even on the smaller area of town provided and with only 4 people and not many actual objectives, we were all having an absolute blast.

The mug shot on the xbox live camera when you take someone down was funny as hell too.

AND

Did you play the past Burnout games?  The whole point of the racing is the stuff you didn't like.  Driving into oncoming traffic and such is how you raise your boost which you need to win races.  Because of that, Burnout is an intense racing experience.  You cannot take your eyes off the road or you'll have a major accident which takes up precious time.  The idea of a mini-map in that type of racing environment is ridiculous.  

It sounds like the type of racing game you want isn't Burnout.  There are plenty of other ones out there, you should try one of those.  Unfortunately, it looks like you can try Burnout Paradise, too.

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: December 14, 2007, 03:33:30 PM »

Quote from: Gratch on December 14, 2007, 03:30:45 PM

Maybe I was missing something, but it didn't look like the actual race starting point showed up on the minimap.  I saw icons for the gas station, paint store, and junkyard (?), but there was no icon highlighting where the race actually started.  I had to open the large Start menu map, see where it was, then try to remember the street route to get there.   If they allowed some sort of fast travel (i.e. selecting the race start icon the Start menu map teleported you there), it would eliminate a lot of the confusion.

There were race icons once you found them, but no way to fast travel or even set up a waypoint to find it again.

depward

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: December 14, 2007, 04:47:53 PM »

Downloaded on the PS3 -

As a huge, huge Revenge fan... I'm a little disappointed.  I'll echo the thoughts about how I dislike the open city nature of the game.  Burnout IS all about getting into a race quickly, bam, then causing mayhem.    I kept on easing up on the gas looking at the map when I was playing Paradise - that's not Burnout to me.

But even if I was to take out the whole "this isn't how Burnout should be" argument and look at it from an any-title game coming out, I really don't like open ended driving scenarios.

So it's looking like a pass, or a price-drop pickup (or perhaps a CC $40 sale at release plz?!) at least right now.

depward on the Playstation Network
raaaaaawwwwwwr on Xbox Live
IkeVandergraaf

RRoD FTL! F MS!

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: December 14, 2007, 04:51:13 PM »

Yeah, this sounds like bullshit.  If I wanted to drive around a city, I'd drive around the fucking city.  Fuck you again EA.

And fuck Microsoft.

Gamertag = IkeV
I KNOW DEEP IN MY NMIND THAT THIS DISGUSTING WEBSITE THAT IS OBIVOUSLY OPERATED BY HIGHSCHOOL DROPOUTS LIVING PURPOSELESS AND JOBLESS LIVES
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: December 14, 2007, 04:55:12 PM »

Well, I haven't played enough to really give comprehensive impressions, but I wanted to jot down a few thoughts after about 20 minutes of play and 3 races last night. So far, I like it a lot, but there are some mechanics I find worrisome. First, the graphics are superb-I really enjoy them and think they are a nice update-the lighting is fantastic, and crashes are great of course. The sound is excellent, and the driving is just sublime. There is no arcade racer that comes close to handling as smoothly yet accurately as Burnout does.

The actual racing is excellent and still fun, and I love that the little section of the city we get to see is as detailed and comprehensive in terms of shortcuts and jumps and odds and ends as it appears to be. The time challenge was good, the race was good (so many different ways to go), and the stunt mission was...ok. Not my favorite thing ever but could grow on me. Why no crash event? Overall very fun.

Some issues:
- Minimap is a tad too small, races at stoplights not marked clearly/large enough.
- I understand completely WHY they aren't doing it, but a menu/list of events you have "unlocked" either by driving through the street lights or maybe actually competing in them so you could quick jump to the area and start would really cut down what will likely eventually be somewhat tedious.
- Again, I understand the logic here (it's an open city, lets not disrupt the continuity of it), but I think its a huge mistake not having an option to press pause and restart right before or right after a race/event/stunt, etc.  The start points are sometimes several game miles away and unlike my above point that I worried would become tedious after some time with the game, I anticipate this element becoming tedious almost immediately, especially for harder events. I am really hoping this might just be an option disabled for the demo-I think this could turn of some hardcore burnout fans.

Overall-very excited, ready to play it and buy it, anticipating it, etc. Will play more tonight.
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: December 14, 2007, 05:07:18 PM »

has this game still got the insurance crashes?...because they are the best thing about the burnout games

Manchester United Premier League Champions 2013!!

Xbox LIVE:Metallicorphan
Wii:8565 1513 0206 1960
PSN:Metallicorphan
The Grue

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: December 14, 2007, 05:51:49 PM »

Quote from: IkeVandergraaf on December 14, 2007, 04:51:13 PM

And fuck Microsoft.

This about the one week headstart on the demo or is there something else?

wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: December 14, 2007, 06:26:21 PM »

Quote from: The Grue on December 14, 2007, 05:51:49 PM

And fuck Microsoft.

It was just announced that if you don't have a Gold or a Silver subscription, you won't have access to free content at all.

Disgusting.
TheMissingLink

TML, for short.

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: December 14, 2007, 06:31:52 PM »

And fuck Microsoft.

It's not a one week headstart on a demo if it's available elsewhere.

TheMissingLink on PSN
The Grue

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: December 14, 2007, 06:32:36 PM »

Quote from: wonderpug on December 14, 2007, 06:26:21 PM

And fuck Microsoft.

It was just announced that if you don't have a Gold or a Silver subscription, you won't have access to free content at all.

Disgusting.

Silver subscriptions are free.  I don't get it.

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: December 14, 2007, 06:33:49 PM »

Quote from: Harkonis on December 14, 2007, 01:22:22 PM

They removed the stuff I didn't like about the burnout series (the intentionally driving through cars and the like)

wasn't that the whole point of the game?  icon_twisted

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: December 14, 2007, 06:35:50 PM »

Quote from: Calvin on December 14, 2007, 03:17:34 PM

Quote from: CeeKay on December 14, 2007, 07:36:11 AM

I grabbed the demo off of XBL, but I think I'll wait a week or so before playing it  Tongue
Sometimes you are awesome. SUCK IT WHINERS biggrin

I try  icon_twisted

Because I can,
Zarkon

View Profile WWW
« Reply #57 on: December 14, 2007, 07:23:27 PM »

I think I'm having some XBL difficulties.

1)  Went to add a 1600 points card on my XBox Wednesday, couldn't get it to work, ended up having to add it on Xbox.com.  It's still not showing up.

2)  Went to join Harkonis in a game today, and it acted like it was joining into the game (went into the demo), but when I brought up the dashboard screen, it shows me as not logged in, and showed my account as greyed out.

Any ideas what's going on?
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: December 14, 2007, 07:31:58 PM »

Quote from: The Grue on December 14, 2007, 06:32:36 PM

And fuck Microsoft.

Disgusting.

I was just failing at comedy, don't mind me.
The Grue

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: December 14, 2007, 07:34:33 PM »

Quote from: wonderpug on December 14, 2007, 07:31:58 PM

Quote from: The Grue on December 14, 2007, 06:32:36 PM

And fuck Microsoft.

Disgusting.

I was just failing at comedy, don't mind me.

Yeah, the joke's not funny if you have to explain it.  icon_biggrin

IkeVandergraaf

RRoD FTL! F MS!

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: December 14, 2007, 07:37:20 PM »

And fuck Microsoft.

No, just in general.

Fuck IGN too.

And the government.

Gamertag = IkeV
I KNOW DEEP IN MY NMIND THAT THIS DISGUSTING WEBSITE THAT IS OBIVOUSLY OPERATED BY HIGHSCHOOL DROPOUTS LIVING PURPOSELESS AND JOBLESS LIVES
The Grue

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: December 14, 2007, 07:41:14 PM »

Quote from: IkeVandergraaf on December 14, 2007, 07:37:20 PM

And fuck Microsoft.

No, just in general.

Fuck IGN too.

And the government.

Amen, brother.  I was just trying to figure out what Microsoft had to do with this Burnout demo.

WinoMcCougarstein

View Profile WWW
« Reply #62 on: December 14, 2007, 08:06:46 PM »

Didnt like this demo at all.  Out... unless the final version is better or I'll wait for a nice price drop.

IkeVandergraaf

RRoD FTL! F MS!

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: December 14, 2007, 08:09:06 PM »

See, and this is pissing me off.  I haven't even played it yet, but how do you fuck up Burnout?  I mean, its racing and crashing.  Seems idiot-proof, if not EA proof.

Gamertag = IkeV
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: December 14, 2007, 08:10:52 PM »

I'm still having a blast with this.  It's a lot of fun multiplayer.  You should join my game Ike, and I can be a dick.
denoginizer

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: December 14, 2007, 08:17:49 PM »

Quote from: IkeVandergraaf on December 14, 2007, 08:09:06 PM

See, and this is pissing me off.  I haven't even played it yet, but how do you fuck up Burnout?  I mean, its racing and crashing.  Seems idiot-proof, if not EA proof.

I think they are trying to be more than racing and crashing.  For me that is a good thing because they had gone about as far with racing and crashing as they could go.  If it would have just been more racing and crashing I probably would have passed.  I think it's more like a combination of Crackdown and Need For Speed.  I like the direction they have gone.  I don't use the map once a start a race.  The street signs at the top of the screen tell you exactly where to go anyway.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2007, 08:25:41 PM by denoginizer » Logged

Xbox Live Tag: denoginizer
PSN Name: denoginizer
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: December 14, 2007, 08:24:46 PM »

There's also the compass that highlights which way to go.
Nth Power

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: December 14, 2007, 08:39:25 PM »

I liked the demo, but I'm not sure how much I liked the open city racing in a Burnout game.   Now it feels more like Midnight Club, so I may just wait for that to come out and then decide.

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities" -Voltaire
XBL gamertag: NthPowr
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: December 14, 2007, 10:39:53 PM »

Quote from: Harkonis on December 14, 2007, 08:10:52 PM

I'm still having a blast with this.  It's a lot of fun multiplayer.  You should join my game Ike, and I can be a dick.

I can't picture you being a dick.  It'd be like picturing ATB as cool- it just doesn't work.

Because I can,
Hrothgar

Do you Talk Strategy?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #69 on: December 15, 2007, 06:16:41 AM »

I don't know what to think of the demo.  It looked great and ran smoothly.  It felt like Burnout in the events.  It seems like driving around would suck, but then it also seemed like just about every street corner had an event.  It was just frustrating that all but a handful were not available in the demo.  If I finish an event and I'm within a block or two of any other kind of event, I don't think that would be too bad.  I'd still hope for a warp especially later in the game when I would want to improve my medals in a few events.  I wouldn't want to be driving back and forth across the map to do it.  The demo didn't sell me, but I see the potential.  Some solid reviews, word of mouth or good news on included features might push me over the edge.

Cheers,
Hrothgar
Live gamertag & PSN name: HrothgarGG
I'm updating my website again.

"No, not alone."  -- War, Darksiders
Zarkon

View Profile WWW
« Reply #70 on: December 15, 2007, 08:11:41 AM »

Harkonis, was I showing up in your game at all?
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #71 on: December 15, 2007, 02:57:32 PM »

Played it last night; changed my vote.
The fact that there is no "retry" or bronze / silver / gold thresholds pisses me off (to the point where I wanted to throw my controller).

I have no need of things that piss me off. I am all full up on that.

They broke Burnout. Plain and simple.

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #72 on: December 15, 2007, 05:03:08 PM »

Quote from: Purge on December 15, 2007, 02:57:32 PM

The fact that there is no "retry" or bronze / silver / gold thresholds pisses me off (to the point where I wanted to throw my controller).

I'm very hopeful that once you try an event in the full game that you can warp back to it and retry it and you only have to drive to them the first time.  Most games of this nature including NFS:MW which this copies greatly from had this ability.
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #73 on: December 15, 2007, 08:06:26 PM »

Quote from: Harkonis on December 15, 2007, 05:03:08 PM

Quote from: Purge on December 15, 2007, 02:57:32 PM

I'm very hopeful that once you try an event in the full game that you can warp back to it and retry it and you only have to drive to them the first time.  Most games of this nature including NFS:MW which this copies greatly from had this ability.

Thats what I am hoping/presuming as well (and mentioned in my post). It just seems so utterly counterintuitive not to have it-that would sort of ameliorate the lack of an immediate "restart" option as well. All they need is a list with a description in the menu!
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #74 on: December 15, 2007, 08:46:49 PM »

i just got told that there are no insurance crashes in this one....if thats true,i am so OUT

i spent hours doing those and loved them and found them much better then the actual races

Manchester United Premier League Champions 2013!!

Xbox LIVE:Metallicorphan
Wii:8565 1513 0206 1960
PSN:Metallicorphan
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #75 on: December 15, 2007, 09:57:59 PM »

Quote from: metallicorphan on December 15, 2007, 08:46:49 PM

i just got told that there are no insurance crashes in this one....if thats true,i am so OUT

i spent hours doing those and loved them and found them much better then the actual races

Agreed.  The crash events were the main quirk of the game for me (and my wife), too.   I assumed they just weren't in the demo.  If they're not in the game, that will be one of the most ludicrous decisions since the moody speed metal was added to Prince of Persia.  Worse, actually.  Even if it is in the game, the decision to not put one in the demo is still ludicrous.  Aren't demos supposed to sell the game?  The same goes for not putting a retry or warp in the demo if it's going to appear in the full game.  Look at how many people they've turned off in this very board.

Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #76 on: December 15, 2007, 10:07:10 PM »

Quote from: Bullwinkle on December 15, 2007, 09:57:59 PM

Agreed.  The crash events were the main quirk of the game for me (and my wife), too.   I assumed they just weren't in the demo.  If they're not in the game, that will be one of the most ludicrous decisions since the moody speed metal was added to Prince of Persia.  Worse, actually.  Even if it is in the game, the decision to not put one in the demo is still ludicrous.  Aren't demos supposed to sell the game?  The same goes for not putting a retry or warp in the demo if it's going to appear in the full game.  Look at how many people they've turned off in this very board.

Crash events are definitely out? I thought that was still unconfirmed? If so..MAJOR bummer.
Hrothgar

Do you Talk Strategy?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #77 on: December 15, 2007, 10:28:33 PM »

From the IGN hands on:
Something else that's changed quite a bit is Crash mode. Rather than having individual intersections set up and awaiting your destruction, you instead start a Crash Showtime at any point by pressing two shoulder buttons at the same time. Your car will then begin tumbling down the highway, taking out whatever you can manage to smash into. You earn boost for each vehicle you hit, which you can then spend to bounce your car a bit, keeping you on the move at all times. Busses are the only vehicles that will give you a multiplier here, which makes sense considering that we've been able to rack up a 430+ car Crash Showtime outing. We weren't sold on this new design at first, but it's getting more enjoyable as our skills increase.

One element of the design that we're not too fond of so far is the inability to jump to the start of a race. If you enter a race that takes you halfway across Paradise City and wind up failing, in order to try again you'll have to drive yourself back to the start. There is no quick skip option, which is a trade-off for having no load times once the game begins.

That's from playing a 'near final' build.

Cheers,
Hrothgar
Live gamertag & PSN name: HrothgarGG
I'm updating my website again.

"No, not alone."  -- War, Darksiders
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #78 on: December 15, 2007, 10:33:42 PM »

Quote from: Hrothgar on December 15, 2007, 10:28:33 PM

From the IGN hands on:
Something else that's changed quite a bit is Crash mode. Rather than having individual intersections set up and awaiting your destruction, you instead start a Crash Showtime at any point by pressing two shoulder buttons at the same time. Your car will then begin tumbling down the highway, taking out whatever you can manage to smash into. You earn boost for each vehicle you hit, which you can then spend to bounce your car a bit, keeping you on the move at all times. Busses are the only vehicles that will give you a multiplier here, which makes sense considering that we've been able to rack up a 430+ car Crash Showtime outing. We weren't sold on this new design at first, but it's getting more enjoyable as our skills increase.

One element of the design that we're not too fond of so far is the inability to jump to the start of a race. If you enter a race that takes you halfway across Paradise City and wind up failing, in order to try again you'll have to drive yourself back to the start. There is no quick skip option, which is a trade-off for having no load times once the game begins.

That's from playing a 'near final' build.

This version of Burnout is now officially dead to me.  Bummer.  frown

“My next great decision is just lying in wait.
The action might turn out to be the world's most grievous mistake."
- Bad Religion, Past is Dead
disarm

my moral standing is lying down...

View Profile
« Reply #79 on: December 15, 2007, 10:36:41 PM »

Quote from: Calvin on December 15, 2007, 10:07:10 PM

Quote from: Bullwinkle on December 15, 2007, 09:57:59 PM

Crash events are definitely out? I thought that was still unconfirmed? If so..MAJOR bummer.

according to the official EA website, the five events available are Race, Road Rage, Burning Route, Stunt Run and Marked Man. 
i just finished playing around with the demo a little and am extremely disappointed.  while the graphics are nice and the sense of speed is intact, the decision to leave out Crash mode, traffic checking, takedowns, revenge rivals, and apparently even crashbreakers means this is totally off my radar now.  add in the fact that you can't enter or restart events without driving back and forth across the city, and i don't think there's much of anything that could rekindle my interest in the game right now. 

sorry EA, but i'm sticking with fantastic Burnout:Revenge...at least that's my plan until you decide to cut Live MP support for it in the spring in an effort to force everyone into buying the new game...
« Last Edit: December 15, 2007, 10:38:28 PM by disarm » Logged

*Gamertag - disarm78*
Now Playing: Grand Theft Auto V
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: