http://gamingtrend.com
December 19, 2014, 08:02:08 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Burnout Paradise: Big Surf Island...  (Read 666 times)
Dreamshadow
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile WWW
« on: June 11, 2009, 05:17:59 PM »

I cannot wait to get home and play this.  It's downloading for me right now.  Anyone who has B:P has to download a new patch file, 1.9 which is 1.2 gigabytes.  Once it is downloaded, you can buy Big Surf from the store (or you can go buy it from the Marketplace in advance).

Do remember, once Patch 1.9 is downloaded on your Xbox 360, you can delete the older patch files to save HDD space.

I cannot believe the fun I'm having with this.   At Project A-kon, a group of us sat down during setup and played the Party Pack game for about four hours (we were waiting for gear to show up).  There was a combination of amazing tricks and serious fail going on during that game, and the pass the controller mechanic didn't bother anyone.

Tom "Dreamshadow" Tjarks
Aunt Wu: Care to hear your fortune, handsome?
Iroh: At my age there is really only one big surprise left, and I'd just as soon leave it a mystery.
Caine

My cocaine

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2009, 08:08:08 PM »

its' been a pretty long time since i loaded up b:p.  i really should get back into it, sounds like fun.

who would have thought that a year and half after it released, we would still be playing it and not looking forward to a sequel?

MonkeyFinger

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2009, 06:01:29 AM »

The 'patch' *is* the Island, I assume it stays closed to traffic until you buy it which downloads a small license file (or some such) to unlock it. You can start on the island or the mainland and drive back and forth over the not-quite-finished bridge. You get a new license specific to the island as well that tracks your island stats separate from the mainland ones while you're "on vacation" over there. One new car at the start (a buggy) with 8 others to unlock and some new event types from what I could tell from the little I played.

-craig

PSx: MonkeyFinger
XBx: MonkeyPhinger
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2009, 09:08:26 AM »

Quote from: Caine on June 11, 2009, 08:08:08 PM

its' been a pretty long time since i loaded up b:p.  i really should get back into it, sounds like fun.

who would have thought that a year and half after it released, we would still be playing it and not looking forward to a sequel?

LOL ..  I waited for the patch to allow race replay before getting into it.

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2009, 01:45:00 PM »

What single-player features have they added with the island? Are there just races, or also new barriers and super jumps?

"Is there any chance your jolly Garchomp is female?" - Wonderpug
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2009, 01:53:02 PM »

I played for about an hour and a half last night.  Really fun.  A huge part of it seems to be focused on stunts and jumps.  I only did one Road Rage event and spent the rest of the time plowing through billboards and fences and launching off of some pretty big ramps (way bigger than stuff on the mainland).  I didn't notice anything "new" added, as such, but it's a nice, tight environment and seems more than worth the price.

I have noticed a couple of weird crashes where my car bounced wrong on the ground, so there may be a couple of issues, but it's still a blast.

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
MonkeyFinger

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2009, 01:57:56 PM »

Yes, a whole new set of barriers and an "island specific" billboard, both of which are tracked separately on your new license. And note they have "mega" jumps, not super jumps on the island... not sure if there really is a difference, however. Found this on the G4TV site which sums it up well:

http://g4tv.com/thefeed/blog/post/696468/Burnout-Paradise-Big-Surf-Island-Impressions.html

-craig

PSx: MonkeyFinger
XBx: MonkeyPhinger
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: