http://gamingtrend.com
September 01, 2014, 11:56:41 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Burnout legends...anyone?  (Read 1524 times)
Harpua3
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: September 12, 2005, 05:00:14 AM »

I was just wondering if anyone else is looking forward to this as much as I am. After reading/watching gamespots review, I`m all over this one. This is just one of those games I LOVE(I`m assuming) on a handheld, but meh on a console or pc. Same with THUG2. Go figure, anywho, anyone else grabbin this sucker on wednesday?
AgtFox

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2005, 07:06:05 AM »

If I had a PSP I would probably be all over it.  It would be kind of hard to play though since I've played all 3 of those games, but it would be cool to see how they implement them all.

Xbox Live: AgtFox
Cleric7

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2005, 04:30:27 PM »

I was waiting to read reviews to decide which of the two Burnout games to get: the console version or the PSP version.

As BOTH are friggin' getting great reviews, I just hauled a bag full of used games to EB to cover the cost of getting both!

The PSP version looks like it could be the handheld GOTY!

"All that is necessary for evil to flourish is for good people to do nothing."
Misguided
Gaming Trend Staff

Semi-acquatic egg-laying mammal of action

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2005, 08:37:37 PM »

I preordered/paid for mine a couple of weeks ago. Very excited about it.

Ruining language with my terrible words.
WinoMcCougarstein

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2005, 02:19:20 AM »

If you are a fan of Burnout and you have a PSP, buy this game.  It looks and plays amazingly.  The only thing I dont like is it seems to be a mix of the first three Burnouts with nothing new.  Thats ok by me, but may let others down.  

The graphics in this game are phenomenal, top notch on the PSP.  Not quite as good as the console version, but damn amazing on a handheld.  The one major graphical difference is the lack of the blur effect found in the console counterpart.  The sense of speed is the same and the widescreen makes it easier to see what is coming.  

Gameplay is pretty much the same as on the console.  It controls just as well and you can use either the D-pad or "nub" to steer your car.  The only thing I found a little difficult was breaking as it is mapped to the square button and the gas is the x button.  I think my thumbs are too big to move back and forth successfully.  Of course, that is a minor nitpick that I'm sure will go away in time.

The sound is ok.  I say ok because it has something that I am not really too fond of at all "EA Trax."  The songs range from decent to downright annoying.  Thankfully, they can be turned off.  I cant wait until custom soundtracks on the PSP.

Menus and presentation are almost identical to Burnout 3.  It is easy to navigate the menus and single player mode.  

This game has restored my faith in the PSP to say the least.  If you own one and you want fast paced exciting racing action and dont mind playing through some same courses as Burnout 1-3, buy this game NOW!

Devil

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2005, 03:06:40 AM »

Thanks Gator!

IN!

XBox Gamertag: Devil13Devil
Wii Number: 0305 6568 6417 2609
PS3 Thing: Slived
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2005, 03:42:48 AM »

it seems to be a mix of the first three Burnouts with nothing new.

That and the fact that the PSP is lousy with racers are the only things turning me off.  But, seeing that I have a big trip coming next week, I can't imagine I won't be picking it up.

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
Harpua3

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2005, 04:26:12 AM »

I paid for it today, gotta go pick it up (hopefully) tomarrow, or wednesday. There are two reviews up on it now. I believe a 9.1, and a 9.5. I can`t wait!
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2005, 05:54:08 AM »

gotta go pick it up (hopefully) tomarrow

What, on the way to your bone transplant or something?

Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2005, 05:58:10 AM »

Quote from: "Bullwinkle"
gotta go pick it up (hopefully) tomarrow

What, on the way to your bone transplant or something?
:roll:
Harpua3

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 13, 2005, 06:29:47 AM »

I`m super sleepy and I`m not sure what you meant...But, anywho...I can`t wait for this great game!
Misguided
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 13, 2005, 12:01:19 PM »

That and the fact that the PSP is lousy with racers

*blink* *blink*

Huh?

Gotten plety of enjoyment out of Ridge Racer here. Wipeput is great too, but it's too hard for me.

rrmorton

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 13, 2005, 01:40:35 PM »

I'd be all over this in a heartbeat if the new Xbox game wasn't coming out at the same time. I wish they'd spread them out a bit.

Still, once I burnout on Revenge and take a little break (for my thumbs and my wallet) it'll be good to have more Burnout action on the PSP waiting for me. I haven't bought any of the PSP racing games yet (though Wipeout has tempted me a couple times) so this should be fun.
The Grue

You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 13, 2005, 02:56:54 PM »

Quote from: "Misguided"
That and the fact that the PSP is lousy with racers

*blink* *blink*

Huh?

Gotten plety of enjoyment out of Ridge Racer here. Wipeput is great too, but it's too hard for me.

When you say something is "lousy with something" it means that there are lots of that something, not that the racers suck on the PSP.  So, I think the fact that there are so many racers on the PSP is what is keeping him from maybe picking up yet another one.

XBox Live ID: The Grue
Playstation Network Name: TheGrue
WinoMcCougarstein

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: September 13, 2005, 03:41:58 PM »

Another thing I forgot to mention, that dumbass announcer is GONE.  Thank God himself.

Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 13, 2005, 03:54:21 PM »

Thanks, DiscoJason, that's exactly what I meant.  And part of the problem is that so many of those racers are good.

And Harpua3, I was just being goofy with your typo.

Misguided
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 13, 2005, 04:16:11 PM »

Thanks, DiscoJason, that's exactly what I meant.  And part of the problem is that so many of those racers are good.

And Harpua3, I was just being goofy with your typo.

Oh yeah *scratches head* I'm uh down and uhm fly with that. Word up!  :oops: (Thanks for the explanation)

*Goes back into his cave*

Seriously, though, this seems like quite a different style of racing, at least if it comes close to the demo for Revenge.

Harpua3

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 13, 2005, 07:29:51 PM »

It shipped, it looks like ill get it on wednesday at least. Looking forward to it!
Scott

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 15, 2005, 04:19:26 PM »

Where are the impressions?!

---
XBox Live: ScottW
-Lord Ebonstone-
BANNED

get naked

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: September 15, 2005, 04:25:12 PM »

Quote from: "Scott"
Where are the impressions?!

:

xbl tag = cthonic horror

NNNOOOOOO!!
Devil

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 15, 2005, 05:24:51 PM »

After about 1 hour last night, I can say that it's essentially Burnout 3 on the PSP.

I like it a lot.

XBox Gamertag: Devil13Devil
Wii Number: 0305 6568 6417 2609
PS3 Thing: Slived
Roguetad

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 15, 2005, 09:04:18 PM »

I played last night for a few hours, and yep, it’s basically Burnout 3 on the psp.  With that said, it’s a terrific game for the psp.  I’m floored by how good the graphics have translated over.  This is imo the best psp title out there (right now), and definitely the best psp racer.  It’s not BO Revenge, but it’s definitely a BO game done very well on the psp.
adamsappel
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 15, 2005, 11:21:04 PM »

How are the loading times?

Xbox Live Gamertag: adamsappel
Dimmona

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 15, 2005, 11:29:08 PM »

I got yer impressions....

The Good:
- As somebody who's put in probably 250+ hours on the first three iterations, I was a little worried it that Legends would feel just like a rehash.  While I do have a constant sense of deja vu/nostolga, it really isn't a bad thing - they have judiciously taken the best things about each of the three games and put them in one package.  Burnout 3's takedowns/crashbreakers, Burnout 1/2's level design, Burnout 2's pursuit mode, the lack of Crash mode multipliers - all combined into one great little package.    

- Control is for the most part pretty darn good.  Some PSP games don't control well with the little nubbin', but this isn't a problem for Legends.  That said, I highly recommend switching to control mode B (shoulder buttons for gas/brake).

- Presentation is top notch.  From the FMV menus to  the detailed profile statistics and Burnout 3 style world tour mode, there is a ton to do in the game (although not as much as BO3 - I think I've already hit the 10% mark in about 2 hours of play).

- Load times, while long, aren't near as bad/painful as most PSP games.  It's also obvious that they spent a lot of time redesigning the interface to work well on a handheld.  The total time from turning the game on to getting to play is very small compared to most PSP games.

The Bad:
- The game obviously shipped before it was entirely ready, as I've encountered quite a few bugs.  Twice now during crash mode I've had my car clip out of the map, and I'm stuck looking at a screen of grey polygons.  During one of those my game got 'stuck' and I couldn't get out without rebooting.  I've also had one other hard lockup during a race...

- Burning Lap makes its return... although at least so far the gold medal requirements are much more reasonable than in Burnout 3.

Mixture of Both:
- While the game looks very vibrant on the PSP and the environments look pretty close to their PS2 bretheren, there's definitely a loss of graphic fidelity on the handheld.  
* The particle effects are kept to a minimum, and disappear altogether when more than 3-4 cars are on the screen.  
* The opposing traffic is very low detailed - some cars/vans don't appear to have any textures on them whatsoever (although at least they're a nice reflective solid color).
* There's some pop-in for traffic - the way the game handles it is they show a headlight bloom from oncoming cars and then pop the car itself in at the last second.  Nitpick, but still noticeable.
* The tracks themselves look very good, although the lack of texture filtering makes it a little less impressive than the BO1-3 versions.

Nitpicks aside, the game is still as fast as ever - I'm completely okay with choosing to make sacrifices in graphic detail in order to keep the framerate high.  The framerate still dips during crashmode, and the crashes aren't quite as impressive due to the lack of particle effects (especially on big wrecks) but at least they're still fun!

Overall, I'd have to say its probably the best PSP game out right now.[/list]

Xbox Live tag: Dimmona
DS WiFi Friends Codes
Wii Code: 6091 9321 3340 8417
Xbox360 Gamer Card
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: