http://gamingtrend.com
October 31, 2014, 08:56:13 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 26   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Destiny -Bungie's new game with Activision  (Read 24042 times)
Soulchilde
Gaming Trend Senior Member

You and I have unfinished business

View Profile
« Reply #240 on: July 23, 2014, 05:21:13 PM »

Quote from: Harpua3 on July 23, 2014, 04:07:32 PM

Loved it. Uninstalled after hitting level 8 and doing most of what could be done. 9/9/14 is marked on my calendar.

reinstall - If you play on the 26th you'll get a badge/emblem when the game goes live, but you will only get it if you play this Saturday

Quote from: Devil on January 12, 2007, 01:14:38 AM

NiM$
rittchard

View Profile
« Reply #241 on: July 23, 2014, 06:01:53 PM »

I am just really bad at FPS games it seems, the shooting part at least.  I took Warlock and for the life of me I can't seem to shoot well lol.  I ended up running up to bad guys and zapping them with the melee attack.  Do you think I'd be better off with a Titan?  Does this game have any contingency to  "grind" in any way to outlevel content to make things easier on poor souls like myself?  It did seem to allow me to keep killing one guy at a time and restart, which I suppose was kind of nice.
MonkeyFinger

View Profile
« Reply #242 on: July 23, 2014, 09:48:19 PM »

Silly question perhaps but how exactly does the 'single player' work in this game? I can find various articles mentioning that it will be supported although they are 'sloping the floor towards socialization' and at some point in the story progression co-op parties will be required for success. However, right now I'm wondering how it all works. The intro run up to The Tower went fine but when I next go down to the surface to look for an FTL drive it tells me it is suitable for 1-3 players and I see there are other players running around. Do I just... ignore them... and all of the 'Revive?' prompts I keep seeing?  icon_neutral

-craig

PSx: MonkeyFinger
XBx: MonkeyPhinger
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #243 on: July 23, 2014, 09:51:13 PM »

the areas between missions are 'open world' and can have multiple people not in groups together.  There can also be events occurring in these areas.  In mission areas it is only your fireteam.  Unless it's during an event or in a mission, reviving isn't that big of a deal.
Soulchilde

View Profile
« Reply #244 on: July 24, 2014, 10:43:55 AM »

story mission stop after The Last Array?
« Last Edit: July 24, 2014, 10:46:04 AM by Soulchilde » Logged

NiM$
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #245 on: July 24, 2014, 12:16:23 PM »

yes, for beta.  Do up to there, then you have Devil's Nest or whatever for coop, the open free roam area and pvp
Soulchilde

View Profile
« Reply #246 on: July 24, 2014, 12:29:29 PM »

Quote from: Harkonis on July 24, 2014, 12:16:23 PM

yes, for beta.  Do up to there, then you have Devil's Nest or whatever for coop, the open free roam area and pvp

tried PvP this morning..  Wasn't fun at all.  Too many snipers

NiM$
ATB

Thanks for everything, Ryan. 1979-2013

View Profile
« Reply #247 on: July 24, 2014, 12:53:53 PM »

Ok. I've never MMO'd before so I have questions. I played about 90 minutes last night.

1. Like Monkey Finger asked: Are the people I see all over the place during the first mission actually running their own instance of what I'm doing? I seem to be able to kill enemies they are fighting and likewise, but when I fought the main baddie of the mission I was solo (which I prefered as I had no friends online at the time).

2. The interface is quite obtuse.  I don't understand half the stuff I'm seeing when I talk to vendors or what the card that pops up in the corner at the end of the first mission.  Oh and I can apparently spawn a vehicle almost whenever I want?

3. How does one actually logout of this game? I select log out and am I supposed to select change character or profile?

4. I have only done the first mission and I selected the hard difficulty because I'm pretty good at FPS.  It didn't seem to net me any benefits for doing so other than making it more challenging. Will the full game have additional bonuses for trying harder things at a lower level?

5. Where is a n00b supposed to go to figure out what all the mechanics of this game are? I guess glimmer is money and I assumed from my experience with mass effect that breaking down old components nets me $$$, but where will this stuff actually be explained? For example: can I unlock any power at any time? What do the circles part-way around the powers mean? I didn't collect any orbs apparently. What are orbs?

6.  Am I getting xp for killing everything?  I explored a lot and killed a bunch of the fallen but couldn't tell if it was impacting my rank up

7. At one point I entered a room on the first mission and there was a gaggle of '??' level monsters and they ripped me apart in about 2 seconds.  How did that happen? Did I do something wrong?

8. Where does one go for PVP?  And does it put like ranked people against each other or will I be facing level 8 baddies from the get go.

9. May be too soon, but where is the grand epicness of the world?  Seemed like the safe city was sparsely populated and the first mission area was likewise.

10. Biggest frustration point I found was that if I have ammo for a special weapon, that ammo doesn't convert to another special when I switch it. In fact, if you change specials ALL OF THE SPECIAL AMMO DISAPPEARS altogether.  What's up with that?

Mixed first experience, but I definitely want to check it out more.
Soulchilde

View Profile
« Reply #248 on: July 24, 2014, 01:13:21 PM »

Quote from: ATB on July 24, 2014, 12:53:53 PM

Ok. I've never MMO'd before so I have questions. I played about 90 minutes last night.

1. Like Monkey Finger asked: Are the people I see all over the place during the first mission actually running their own instance of what I'm doing? I seem to be able to kill enemies they are fighting and likewise, but when I fought the main baddie of the mission I was solo (which I prefered as I had no friends online at the time).

2. The interface is quite obtuse.  I don't understand half the stuff I'm seeing when I talk to vendors or what the card that pops up in the corner at the end of the first mission.  Oh and I can apparently spawn a vehicle almost whenever I want?

3. How does one actually logout of this game? I select log out and am I supposed to select change character or profile?

4. I have only done the first mission and I selected the hard difficulty because I'm pretty good at FPS.  It didn't seem to net me any benefits for doing so other than making it more challenging. Will the full game have additional bonuses for trying harder things at a lower level?

5. Where is a n00b supposed to go to figure out what all the mechanics of this game are? I guess glimmer is money and I assumed from my experience with mass effect that breaking down old components nets me $$$, but where will this stuff actually be explained? For example: can I unlock any power at any time? What do the circles part-way around the powers mean? I didn't collect any orbs apparently. What are orbs?

6.  Am I getting xp for killing everything?  I explored a lot and killed a bunch of the fallen but couldn't tell if it was impacting my rank up

7. At one point I entered a room on the first mission and there was a gaggle of '??' level monsters and they ripped me apart in about 2 seconds.  How did that happen? Did I do something wrong?

8. Where does one go for PVP?  And does it put like ranked people against each other or will I be facing level 8 baddies from the get go.

9. May be too soon, but where is the grand epicness of the world?  Seemed like the safe city was sparsely populated and the first mission area was likewise.

10. Biggest frustration point I found was that if I have ammo for a special weapon, that ammo doesn't convert to another special when I switch it. In fact, if you change specials ALL OF THE SPECIAL AMMO DISAPPEARS altogether.  What's up with that?

Mixed first experience, but I definitely want to check it out more.

1. Yes, those people you see on map are either running the same mission or just exploring.  There are random mission beacons  on some maps, so they could just be on your map completing the random mission.   Story mission you will occupy the same space with random players up to a point.  Once you get a dark zone that instance if for you and your fireteam.   You'll get a prompt when you enter a dark zone also you'll see a skull icon by your health bar. 

NiM$
MonkeyFinger

View Profile
« Reply #249 on: July 24, 2014, 01:35:34 PM »

I asked because I too don't "MMO" so wanted to make sure I wasn't doing something wrong or would piss people off by accidentally shooting them or ignoring them or not reviving them or some other unknown breach of etiquette.  icon_wink

As to the other questions, a couple of sites I found helpful were:

www.destinythegame.com    (lots of information there)
www.bungie.net                   (sign up and link to your PS4 id to see your stats, cards, etc)

A little buried but under Settings is Log Out and then there are two options that appear - one to log out of the character and one to log out of the game. Can't really help with all of the other stuff, I'm afraid.

-craig

PSx: MonkeyFinger
XBx: MonkeyPhinger
forgeforsaken

View Profile
« Reply #250 on: July 24, 2014, 02:03:36 PM »

The ?? means they are way higher level than you.  Your ability to do damage is based on your level discrepancy as well as your weapon's Attack value.  I think they sort of botch the weapon stats page as from what I can tell by hovering over stuff, Impact is the damage per shot, but generally people instinctively are looking at that giant number which is the weapons ability to damage higher level enemies.  It's weird, and I don't understand all the interplay there yet.
ATB

View Profile
« Reply #251 on: July 24, 2014, 02:11:19 PM »

One more question:

Now that I've completed the first mission. What if I play with a friend who hasn't. Do i need to be on his fire team to do his version of the mission? or can he be on mine and I go with him?

Soulchilde

View Profile
« Reply #252 on: July 24, 2014, 02:19:08 PM »

Quote from: ATB on July 24, 2014, 02:11:19 PM

One more question:

Now that I've completed the first mission. What if I play with a friend who hasn't. Do i need to be on his fire team to do his version of the mission? or can he be on mine and I go with him?

You can replay it anytime you want just warp back.   Hark did this for me last night, so I could catch up to him then proceeded to change the next mission difficulty to Hard   

NiM$
forgeforsaken

View Profile
« Reply #253 on: July 24, 2014, 02:20:23 PM »

Quote from: ATB on July 24, 2014, 02:11:19 PM

One more question:

You can rerun missions whenever, as well as adjust their level somewhat.  In the beta missions seem to be offered at 2 level settings.  If you want to play together though you need to be in a fireteam.
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #254 on: July 24, 2014, 02:31:15 PM »

Quote from: forgeforsaken on July 24, 2014, 02:03:36 PM

The ?? means they are way higher level than you.  Your ability to do damage is based on your level discrepancy as well as your weapon's Attack value.  I think they sort of botch the weapon stats page as from what I can tell by hovering over stuff, Impact is the damage per shot, but generally people instinctively are looking at that giant number which is the weapons ability to damage higher level enemies.  It's weird, and I don't understand all the interplay there yet.

I don't get the feeling that's what impact is at all, seems to me the number IS attack damage and impact is hit stun.  With a high impact weapon you can stun lock an enemy.  There is also an upgrade on some weapons that says 'increase attack damage' and it only affects the number rating, not the bars
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #255 on: July 24, 2014, 02:32:19 PM »

Also this game isn't an mmo, it has some mmo'ish features sure, but I wouldn't say that having played an mmo or not played one should affect your grasp of it at all.  It's just a shooter with a social hub and the occasional other player in the open world areas.

I found most of the game pretty intuitive so far.
forgeforsaken

View Profile
« Reply #256 on: July 24, 2014, 02:40:41 PM »

Quote from: Harkonis on July 24, 2014, 02:31:15 PM

I don't get the feeling that's what impact is at all, seems to me the number IS attack damage and impact is hit stun.  With a high impact weapon you can stun lock an enemy.  There is also an upgrade on some weapons that says 'increase attack damage' and it only affects the number rating, not the bars

Hover over the stats.
This is basically what they say when you do
Attack : allows your weapon to damage 'higher level enemies'
Impact: "damage each round" inflicts.
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #257 on: July 24, 2014, 03:11:00 PM »

is the stun just a factor of some damage cutoff per enemy?
forgeforsaken

View Profile
« Reply #258 on: July 24, 2014, 03:26:26 PM »

Quote from: Harkonis on July 24, 2014, 03:11:00 PM

is the stun just a factor of some damage cutoff per enemy?

I'm not sure.  It always takes a bit to figure out what the math really does behind the scenes in these games, seems like it's never exactly straightforward.
Isgrimnur

View Profile
« Reply #259 on: July 24, 2014, 03:48:17 PM »

Is there any chance your jolly Garchomp is female?

Hadron Smasher on 360; IsgrimnurTTU on PS3
Harpua3

View Profile
« Reply #260 on: July 24, 2014, 04:12:41 PM »

Quote from: Soulchilde on July 23, 2014, 05:21:13 PM

Quote from: Harpua3 on July 23, 2014, 04:07:32 PM

Loved it. Uninstalled after hitting level 8 and doing most of what could be done. 9/9/14 is marked on my calendar.

reinstall - If you play on the 26th you'll get a badge/emblem when the game goes live, but you will only get it if you play this Saturday

Can't play Saturday, hence the uninstall.
ATB

View Profile
« Reply #261 on: July 24, 2014, 04:26:18 PM »

Quote from: Isgrimnur on July 24, 2014, 03:48:17 PM

I don't know what this means or who this is directed to, but my character is a girl.

I like to watch her dance...  unibrow
Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #262 on: July 24, 2014, 04:32:00 PM »

Yeah, one of the odd things about the game is that you don't really want to explore. One of the first things I did one of the first missions was go downstairs and explore the bunker I was in and ran into some ?? monsters. If you stray off your path very often you will find enemies that are way over your level. Even just a tiny bit off the path too - I was doing the mission to scan some radar dishes or something which was level 4, and just around the base of the destroyed ship there were level 8 guys.

"Is there any chance your jolly Garchomp is female?" - Wonderpug
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #263 on: July 24, 2014, 05:36:25 PM »

Just before the 3 minute mark of this video, Drift0r became my hero slywink 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2PMbmXXC9Sk

Here's a couple not nearly as awesome highlights from myself...

http://youtu.be/OG17h3sC-S8
Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #264 on: July 24, 2014, 06:46:11 PM »

Killed all those guys and they still lost...

"Is there any chance your jolly Garchomp is female?" - Wonderpug
Harpua3

View Profile
« Reply #265 on: July 25, 2014, 06:21:30 AM »

Quote from: ATB on July 24, 2014, 04:26:18 PM

Quote from: Isgrimnur on July 24, 2014, 03:48:17 PM

I don't know what this means or who this is directed to, but my character is a girl.

I like to watch her dance...  unibrow

Mine was a male, but still the dancing was enjoyed.
ATB

View Profile
« Reply #266 on: July 25, 2014, 11:29:32 AM »

So for the 2nd time in two play sessions, I got bounced from the mission due to a network error...hope this is beta shennanigans.

You're fire team was returned to orbit due to a network error.

And Ike and I could not get the chat to work.  It would only work if both of us had the chat window snapped open.  Anyone else experience either of these issues?

Also, what, generally is the respawn time for random enemies?  I cleared out an old ship that had a couple captains and some dregs. I walked around it to explore and before I left the side I just cleared, i was getting shot int he back by the same enemies.

Same thing happened with a captain and a dreg on another part of the mission. I killed them, went down a tunnel. Came back around to the opening of the cave and bang, they were there again.
ATB

View Profile
« Reply #267 on: July 25, 2014, 11:32:05 AM »

GT has the guy's feedback on the beta.  Haven't read it yet but will.
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #268 on: July 25, 2014, 12:12:47 PM »

Set up your party chat before launching the game.  Make sure you actually quit Destiny, not just minimize.  Then it works fine.  It's a known issue that they are working to fix for launch.  Something about thier proprietary voice chat system is conflicting at the moment.  Their system is pretty cool with positional and distance related chat effects, but we're quite spoiled wtih party chat slywink

The network issues are likely because they just opened the beta to everyone to intentionally flood their system and see what it can take.

You can watch the respawns, giant transports warp in and the troops drop out, it's quite frequently.
ATB

View Profile
« Reply #269 on: July 25, 2014, 01:34:17 PM »

Quote from: Harkonis on July 25, 2014, 12:12:47 PM

You can watch the respawns, giant transports warp in and the troops drop out, it's quite frequently.

Thanks for the details.  As for this point...I've seen the ships...but these guys did not drop out of the ships...they just reappeared.
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #270 on: July 25, 2014, 01:47:28 PM »

some people inside might pop old school style, but a lot of times the ships will drop them off on the other side and they run in the back.  It's quite nice from a realism standpoint.  Had some fun moments where people were clearing the zone almost too quickly and the result was tons of dropships bombarding as they dropped of reinforcements.
Soulchilde

View Profile
« Reply #271 on: July 25, 2014, 03:18:59 PM »

Quote from: Harkonis on July 25, 2014, 01:47:28 PM

some people inside might pop old school style, but a lot of times the ships will drop them off on the other side and they run in the back.  It's quite nice from a realism standpoint.  Had some fun moments where people were clearing the zone almost too quickly and the result was tons of dropships bombarding as they dropped of reinforcements.

those damn ships will shoot at you to clear the drop zone as well

NiM$
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #272 on: July 25, 2014, 03:33:57 PM »

yep, can get quite hairy.

Here's more pimping of myself, put the whole thing here.  There are a few good moments in there definitely.  Will be editing some of my matches tonight I think.

Twitch match

Youtube link for same match, might still be encoding
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #273 on: July 25, 2014, 08:55:10 PM »

Another one, starting to get the hang of things a bit better I think

Twitch highlight

Youtube link, same match

realized while editing this one that my logo and webcam are covering up important bits.  Any ideas on better placement?
« Last Edit: July 25, 2014, 09:21:10 PM by Harkonis » Logged
ATB

View Profile
« Reply #274 on: July 26, 2014, 12:15:38 PM »

Questions about versions.

Even though I've had limited time with it, I'm pretty sure I'm all the way in.  Are there plans for a digital guardian edtion (the one with the expansion apss) being available for the XB1?

Every time I select it says it's only available for the PS3...or at a minimum...not availble for the xb1.   ninja
msduncan

Roll Tide!!!!

View Profile
« Reply #275 on: July 26, 2014, 08:13:49 PM »

Graphical differences between PS4 and Xbone?     Deciding which to preorder.
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #276 on: July 26, 2014, 10:58:26 PM »

haven't seen the ps4 version but it looks good on the xb1.  Had a couple people on my stream say they thought it looked better than the ps4, but that might just be because I stream at high quality and maybe the ps4 doesn't.
forgeforsaken

View Profile
« Reply #277 on: July 26, 2014, 11:19:50 PM »

Quote from: msduncan on July 26, 2014, 08:13:49 PM

Graphical differences between PS4 and Xbone?     Deciding which to preorder.

If only there was a website dedicated to this sort of thing Tongue

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2014-vs-destiny-xbox-one-beta

TLDR, basically on par, XB1 beta is only 900p but supposed to be 1080p at launch, some very minor gui enhancements on PS4.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2014, 11:29:49 PM by forgeforsaken » Logged
ATB

View Profile
« Reply #278 on: July 27, 2014, 12:04:51 AM »

I am now fully amped for this game.  Can't wait.  Now I need to decide whether I buy one of those useless collector's editions...  icon_lol icon_lol icon_lol icon_lol icon_lol
USMC Kato

I have a bad feeling about this....

View Profile
« Reply #279 on: July 27, 2014, 12:13:44 AM »

Quote from: forgeforsaken on July 26, 2014, 11:19:50 PM

Quote from: msduncan on July 26, 2014, 08:13:49 PM

Graphical differences between PS4 and Xbone?     Deciding which to preorder.

If only there was a website dedicated to this sort of thing Tongue

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2014-vs-destiny-xbox-one-beta

TLDR, basically on par, XB1 beta is only 900p but supposed to be 1080p at launch, some very minor gui enhancements on PS4.

No difference at launch

http://m.ign.com/articles/2014/07/21/destinys-first-ever-1080p-xbox-one-footage-ign-first

Semper Fidelis

Gamertag: USMC Kato
PSN ID: USMC_Kato
Gamecenter ID: USMC Kato
Wii U Nintendo ID: USMC_Kato
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 26   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: