http://gamingtrend.com
October 26, 2014, 02:02:31 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 26   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Destiny -Bungie's new game with Activision  (Read 23265 times)
metallicorphan
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« Reply #80 on: February 18, 2013, 07:34:05 PM »

Quote from: Bullwinkle on February 18, 2013, 07:18:15 PM

I may try to resist the hype for this, but already the chant is starting to build.

Genius

+ Teri Garr=fine(at least in the 70s,not seen her for awhile)

Manchester United Premier League Champions 2013!!

Xbox LIVE:Metallicorphan
Wii:8565 1513 0206 1960
PSN:Metallicorphan
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #81 on: February 18, 2013, 08:23:49 PM »

It's interesting to see that the MMO genre has become so poisoned that Activision doesn't want to touch it. They can call this a "shared experience shooter" (or whatever buzzwords they want us to keep repeating until we believe them) all they want. It's still an MMO. I suspect Kotick put his foot down and barred the team from describing Destiny as an MMO because he knows how damaged that genre is, and by instead branding the game as a shooter, they can cash in on the already large playerbase Activision has gathered with Call of Duty. It's clever, except it isn't. Tongue

I also noticed that the graphics were very MMO-like. Look at the characters in particular. There's some solid environment design and nice effects going on there, but there's a strong MMO vibe from the visuals even so. This is the kind of graphical level you end up on if your plan is to have a LOT of player characters on screen at once, so I guess we can predict that the game will at least feature massive battlegrounds, and probably a variety of large social hubs.

I can't say I'm all that interested personally (after respawning twice in a multiplayer shooter, I'll turn the game off and never turn it on again. Those things bore me to tears), but it's interesting to see the way they're building their PR machine.
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #82 on: February 18, 2013, 08:29:58 PM »

after respawning twice in a multiplayer shooter, I'll turn the game off and never turn it on again. Those things bore me to tears

that's nearly all of them isn't it?...do you like the ones where if you die you have to wait until the end of the round to continue?

but as you described,this really isn't that kind of game

TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #83 on: February 18, 2013, 08:34:01 PM »

Quote from: metallicorphan on February 18, 2013, 08:29:58 PM

after respawning twice in a multiplayer shooter, I'll turn the game off and never turn it on again. Those things bore me to tears

that's nearly all of them isn't it?...do you like the ones where if you die you have to wait until the end of the round to continue?

but as you described,this really isn't that kind of game

I guess it'd be easier to understand if I say that I dislike repetition in games. Once a game wants me to respawn, run to the middle of a map, shoot some dudes, die, then repeat that process for hours on end, I'm out. I barely last 5 minutes under such conditions. Except for MMOs (which I mostly solo in), I haven't done more than briefly dabble in multiplayer games for years. I guess Destiny could turn out to be a PvE MMO with a focus on discovering new worlds and experiences, but I doubt it. It's already being marketed as a multiplayer shooter, which to me says that it'll just be the same old MP at a larger scale. It's just not my thing, but that doesn't mean I don't want others to enjoy it. I know I'm not the average player, or at least not the average vocal player.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #84 on: February 18, 2013, 11:02:30 PM »

this is epic:

Spoiler for Hiden:

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
kronovan

View Profile
« Reply #85 on: February 18, 2013, 11:35:17 PM »

Quote from: Turtle on February 18, 2013, 06:54:33 AM

If I recall, Halo Reach actually had decent space fighter combat, and good looking space gameplay. I didn't play it myself, others can chime in on that. So Bungie is no stranger to space combat gameplay.
There was space combat, but having played through the game 3 times now I have to say it's nothing to get excited about. In fact I feel the space combat in Star Wars Battlefront 2 was better in just about every way.

I can't say I like this aspect of it:
As a co-op-focused, persistent-world shooter, Destiny will require an internet connection to play on all platforms, whether you choose to play solo or with others. Activision Publishing CEO Eric Hirshberg says that the "desire for connectivity is the only way to realize the vision of the game," and denied rumors of a subscription fee to play the game.
This rings of CoD BLOPS where XBL Gold was required just to play split-screen co-op against bots. I realize this game will have much more in its co-op experience, but it still ends up being a bad deal for the player who just wants to play along with their buddy sitting on the couch beside them.

Otherwise I like everything I've read about this game. I'm also very glad to hear they're doing it on the 360 and PS3 instead of next gen. I would have been skeptical Bungie could milk the kind of graphic fidelity they're aiming at out of the 360 up until Halo Reach, which IMO looked every bit as good as Halo 4 yet performed much better. It's a new franchise, so I'll wait and see, but I'm betting I end up getting this the 1st week it's out.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2013, 11:47:25 PM by kronovan » Logged
kronovan

View Profile
« Reply #86 on: February 18, 2013, 11:46:26 PM »

Quote from: metallicorphan on February 18, 2013, 07:34:05 PM

Quote from: Bullwinkle on February 18, 2013, 07:18:15 PM

I may try to resist the hype for this, but already the chant is starting to build.

Genius

Agreed, that's an awesome catch for a snippet of a film that works for this.    icon_cool
Eco-Logic
Gaming Trend Member

Gamertag: St0ckBroker

View Profile
« Reply #87 on: February 19, 2013, 01:07:33 AM »

I just saw the trailer for the first time.  Wow.  Looks awesome...

This signature is not personal, at all.  If you're not awake enough to realize our country is being taken down by an organized effort from a puppet chimp being controlled by a movement older than me.  Wake the freaking fack up.
PR_GMR

View Profile
« Reply #88 on: February 19, 2013, 03:29:05 PM »

I am... intriguedicon_smile
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #89 on: March 19, 2013, 01:16:34 AM »

well this guy just jinxed their launch:

In the wake of SimCity's troubled launch this month, Bungie has said it is not worried about an influx of users crippling Destiny's servers at release.

"This isn't our first rodeo," the developer said as part of its latest Mail Sack. "Bungie is no stranger to anxious mobs of players who rush home after a midnight launch and put our best-laid plans to the test."

Bungie's claim is not without merit, as the developer has overseen the generally smooth launches of a number of high-profile and multiplayer-centric Halo titles. In the case of Destiny, however, the game is exclusively an always-online experience.

almost sounds like a certain publisher who said the same thing about another game....  icon_wink

Because I can,
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #90 on: March 19, 2013, 01:51:29 AM »

I think Activision/Bungie has shown itself to be better prepared at almost everything compared to EA. EA is a sinking ship run by imbeciles, but with an old crew of really hard working studios trying to throw water over the side.
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #91 on: March 19, 2013, 04:06:00 AM »

Quote from: Turtle on March 19, 2013, 01:51:29 AM

I think Activision/Bungie has shown itself to be better prepared at almost everything compared to EA. EA is a sinking ship run by imbeciles, but with an old crew of really hard working studios trying to throw water over the side.

You do realize that it was Activision Blizzard that shipped Diablo 3, right?  Tongue

Sandwiches do fix everything.
forgeforsaken

View Profile
« Reply #92 on: October 01, 2013, 05:19:53 PM »

New trailer
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eAbpZfqE8r4
kronovan

View Profile
« Reply #93 on: October 01, 2013, 05:48:11 PM »

Quote from: EngineNo9 on March 19, 2013, 04:06:00 AM

Quote from: Turtle on March 19, 2013, 01:51:29 AM

You do realize that it was Activision Blizzard that shipped Diablo 3, right?  Tongue

My prediction is that the launch of this will be relatively smooth on the 360 (due to Bungie being very familiar with the nuances of 360-Live), has a chance of launching smoothly on the PS3 (provided developers that are familiar with the PSN have joined the Bungie team). However, I expect this game to be close to a disaster at launch on both the XBone and the PS4. We'll see, but that's the prediction I'm running with - heck I'd probably be willing to take a bet or 2 on that.  slywink
rittchard

View Profile
« Reply #94 on: October 10, 2013, 12:02:16 AM »

So with the preorder/beta news, what version is the one to go for?

I'm totally clueless so I just picked Xbone since Ron said the controller was the best. 
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #95 on: October 10, 2013, 12:03:46 AM »

Quote from: rittchard on October 10, 2013, 12:02:16 AM

PC!  ninja

Because I can,
forgeforsaken

View Profile
« Reply #96 on: October 10, 2013, 12:13:58 AM »

I'm totally clueless so I just picked Xbone since Ron said the controller was the best.  

PS4 will have exclusive content and will probably run better to boot.  In regards to controllers watch this
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8yv9VfbmLgI

Longtime 360 controller fan ends up preferring PS4 controller, though the XB1 controller is still solid.

I'll be on the PS4 if you miss me yelling at you from LoL  Tongue

msduncan

Roll Tide!!!!

View Profile
« Reply #97 on: October 10, 2013, 12:29:36 AM »

Xbone for me
forgeforsaken

View Profile
« Reply #98 on: October 10, 2013, 02:40:37 AM »

And Ritt, there's no reason to preorder this before the consoles come out, so you might as well wait until you have them assuming you are getting both you can judge which controller you prefer then.
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #99 on: October 10, 2013, 01:18:02 PM »

Quote from: forgeforsaken on October 10, 2013, 12:13:58 AM

PS4 will have exclusive content and will probably run better to boot.  In regards to controllers watch this

Longtime 360 controller fan ends up preferring PS4 controller, though the XB1 controller is still solid.

I'll be on the PS4 if you miss me yelling at you from LoL  Tongue

Yes, and then read our front page with Ron's impressions of the Xbox One controller. :shrug: It's personal preference, and the video you put out there the guy states it over and over again. Having held (and played with) both, they're both fantastic controllers, and extended playtime is really the only way to determine which controller is right for you. I'd not regret having either for PC gaming (since both will work in Windows according to the Internetz).

As for the exclusive content, it looks like Activision is engaged in a "timed" exclusive deal, much like the way CoD Ghosts has it for Xbone:

http://www.gamezone.com/news/2013/08/29/sony-exclusive-destiny-content-coming-to-ps4-similar-to-call-of-duty-with-xbox-one

Six of one - I'm sure the content (in both cases) isn't significant enough to make-or-break the game on either format (otherwise, why would you even publish on both platforms?).

I preordered my Destiny last week. No code to register was available (yet), but they gave me a giant poster with a pick of the "Fallen" on one side, and beautiful shot of the planet surface with the last remaining city visible from the upper atmosphere.

Sort of a cropped image of:

(Click to embiggenate)
« Last Edit: October 10, 2013, 01:20:27 PM by Purge » Logged

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
forgeforsaken

View Profile
« Reply #100 on: October 10, 2013, 01:47:40 PM »

Quote from: Purge on October 10, 2013, 01:18:02 PM

Quote from: forgeforsaken on October 10, 2013, 12:13:58 AM

I'll be on the PS4 if you miss me yelling at you from LoL  Tongue

Yes, and then read our front page with Ron's impressions of the Xbox One controller. :shrug: It's personal preference, and the video you put out there the guy states it over and over again.

That article is just an update/overview on the XB1 controller, the PS4 or Sony controller isn't compared or contrasted at all outside of the click-bait headline of the article.  I point out that the XB1 controller is solid in my post, and as you noted these are personal preferences and one shouldn't be making a decision based on a single article that doesn't even compare or contrast the controllers especially when there are numerous other places coming to an opposite conclusion, though they all seem to agree that it is very very close either way.
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #101 on: October 10, 2013, 04:45:33 PM »

You're right (and I re-read Rittchards post), the PS4 controller was not put side-by-side in Ron's 6hour play session on the XB1 controller. It should be noted that the video linked above shows the guy playing dissimilar games rather than apples-to-apples games (such as multi-platform games like AC4, Ghosts, Watch Dogs, and the like). At the preview event for Skylanders, I spent about 25 minutes playing SWAP Force with the DS4 - I found that other than the letter/symbol disjointedness I experience when switching, the controller was just fine. Granted, that game uses only 4 buttons and the directional control (2 upper body attacks, one lower body attack, and jump).

Not speaking for anyone but myself here, but I can see myself picking up a DS4 for my PC and will likely use both it and the XBone to play "controller" games on my gaming rig if for nothing else than to give myself contrast.

I don't have my rig available right now, so I'm not rushing out to get anything for it, but that will probably happen early next year.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2013, 04:48:51 PM by Purge » Logged

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #102 on: October 21, 2013, 05:27:28 PM »

beta codes!  OK, so it's only if you follow their Twitter or Facebook.

Because I can,
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #103 on: October 21, 2013, 05:28:49 PM »

Destiny The Game ‏@DestinyTheGame 5m
You have ten minutes until we start giving away Destiny beta codes. Stay tuned. Stay vigilant. http://bit.ly/1gyAfSg

HHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA crybaby crybaby crybaby crybaby crybaby crybaby crybaby crybaby crybaby crybaby

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #104 on: October 21, 2013, 05:29:09 PM »

biggrin

Because I can,
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #105 on: October 21, 2013, 05:33:08 PM »

Balls to that though they are posting them so its first come first served,which means by the time i have entered the code into XBL,556 million people have already tried before me

I hate it when they do that

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #106 on: October 21, 2013, 05:33:31 PM »

that sucks.

Because I can,
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #107 on: November 06, 2013, 06:16:20 AM »

not a definite 'no' on a PC version, but if there is one it might not be any time soon.

"We know there are a lot of people out there asking for PC and we know that there are a lot of gamers that would willingly give us money, but what we have to do is make sure we're focused enough to bring a good experience to any platform that we ship on. What we 100 percent are not going to do is spread ourselves so thin that it negatively harms the other platforms. So right now we have the four platforms, which is a lot to focus on."

so, in for the XB1 version then.

Because I can,
Canuck

I live in Japan

View Profile
« Reply #108 on: November 06, 2013, 07:40:16 AM »

In for the PS4 version! Wait a minute, I don't like playing these kinds of games on consoles. Well maybe I'll be in when it comes to PS+.
Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #109 on: November 06, 2013, 07:41:42 AM »

Its so weird - I keep forgetting what the heck this is, and why I should be excited. Its an MMO, right? I love those, but for some reason, this has had so little exposure towards me, that its practically non-existent.

A new one
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #110 on: November 06, 2013, 07:44:46 AM »

Quote from: Razgon on November 06, 2013, 07:41:42 AM

Its so weird - I keep forgetting what the heck this is, and why I should be excited. Its an MMO, right? I love those, but for some reason, this has had so little exposure towards me, that its practically non-existent.

That's what I was thinking at first. It looked like a basic MMO/FPS hybrid, which isn't at all interesting to me, mostly due to its multiplayer nature. I couldn't stand doing nothing but variations of deathmatches all the time to progress in a game.

But I was wrong. The gameplay demo at the PS4 press conference revealed a quite different game from what I have imagined. As far as I can tell, Destiny is shaping up to be a more serious game in the style of Borderlands. You level your character, go fight monsters, then scavenge them for loot and randomized weaponry. It looked fun.

And it has Peter Dinklage.

Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #111 on: November 06, 2013, 01:24:43 PM »

If I didn't have the preorder poster up on the wall, I'd forget all about this.

Frankly, I keep thinking I want The Division *way* more than this.

Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #112 on: November 06, 2013, 01:33:47 PM »

Quote from: Purge on November 06, 2013, 01:24:43 PM

Just thinking about that gameplay trailer from The division makes me drool...I want that so badly!

A new one
Caine

My cocaine

View Profile WWW
« Reply #113 on: November 06, 2013, 03:49:35 PM »

Quote from: Razgon on November 06, 2013, 01:33:47 PM

Just thinking about that gameplay trailer from The division makes me drool...I want that so badly!

same here.  I really wish ubisoft had been able to make this a launch title. 

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #114 on: November 06, 2013, 04:10:36 PM »

Quote from: Caine on November 06, 2013, 03:49:35 PM

Quote from: Razgon on November 06, 2013, 01:33:47 PM

same here.  I really wish ubisoft had been able to make this a launch title. 

ditto.  figure I'll play the Xb1 version while waiting for the delayed PC version smile

Because I can,
farley2k

View Profile
« Reply #115 on: November 15, 2013, 06:45:08 PM »

New trailer for the PS4 version

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #116 on: December 07, 2013, 12:43:58 AM »

just saw on Bungie's website:  9-9-14.

Because I can,
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #117 on: December 07, 2013, 01:54:35 AM »

Quote from: CeeKay on December 07, 2013, 12:43:58 AM

Long ways to go!
forgeforsaken

View Profile
« Reply #118 on: December 07, 2013, 02:57:21 AM »

Bah.  I really hope there's some space between this and The Division as I'm looking forward to both of them.
PR_GMR

View Profile
« Reply #119 on: December 07, 2013, 06:15:06 AM »

Quote from: leo8877 on December 07, 2013, 01:54:35 AM

Quote from: CeeKay on December 07, 2013, 12:43:58 AM

Long ways to go!

Daaaamnnn! September? It got THAT delayed.  icon_surprised
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 26   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: