http://gamingtrend.com
October 25, 2014, 12:58:06 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 26   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Destiny -Bungie's new game with Activision  (Read 23171 times)
metallicorphan
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: April 29, 2010, 01:41:54 PM »

Bungie has just signed a ten-year exclusive multiplatform deal with Activision.

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=244762

The pair have announced today that they have entered into an exclusive ten-year partnership to bring Bungie's 'next big action game universe' to market.

Under the terms of the agreement, Activision will have exclusive, worldwide rights to publish and distribute all future Bungie games based on the new intellectual property on multiple platforms and devices.

Bungie remains an independent company and will continue to own their intellectual property. Additional terms of the agreement were not disclosed.

The alliance provides Bungie its first such partnership since splitting with Microsoft in 2007.

Activision claims the deal 'significantly broadening its global reach by providing the resources and support to develop, distribute and release games worldwide on multiple platforms and devices'.

To date, Bungie's Halo games have generated approximately $1.5 billion in revenues, according to The NPD Group, Charttrack and GfK.

Bungie president Harold Ryan revealed today:

"We chose to partner with Activision on our next IP because of their global reach, multi-platform experience and marketing expertise.

"From working together over the past nine months on this agreement, it is clear that Activision supports our commitment to giving our fans the best possible gaming experiences."

Thomas Tippl, COO of Activision Blizzard, couldn't contain his delight at the deal. He stated:

"Bungie is one of the premier studios in our industry and we are extremely pleased to have the opportunity to work with their talented team over the next decade."

Microsoft react to the news:
"Our partnership with Bungie as a first-party developer for Xbox 360 remains unchanged, and right now we're deeply engaged with them on the development of Halo Reach, which is poised to be the biggest game of 2010."
« Last Edit: February 12, 2013, 09:15:15 PM by metallicorphan » Logged

Manchester United Premier League Champions 2013!!

Xbox LIVE:Metallicorphan
Wii:8565 1513 0206 1960
PSN:Metallicorphan
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2010, 01:46:02 PM »

Lame.  Boo Activision.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2010, 02:07:05 PM »

so, how long before Actard fires the leads of Bungie and everyone flees to make another studio? icon_lol

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2010, 02:09:25 PM »

what surprises me is that they have made a 10 year deal...10 years!!??!!,i hope they got some good perks

Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2010, 02:16:44 PM »

That's 3, maybe 4 games (given Bungie's inability to actually produce anything under pressure, it might only be 2 games).

Plus, this is only one IP.

Tongue

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
mytocles

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2010, 02:26:17 PM »

From the derogatory statements about Activision, it seems like GT'ers view them in a negative light.  I'm not very familiar with Activision - yeah, I've heard of them and all, but that's about it. 

If anyone cares to delve into that topic, I'd read it!  Think of it as a project to keep looking busy if you're at work, when in fact you are bored stiff (or lazy) - any takers?   icon_mrgreen

Mytocles (MY-toe-cleez)

"Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most!"
- I don't remember who said it, and probably neither do they...
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2010, 02:33:59 PM »

I find it very ironic that Bungie, who left Microsoft because they were sick of making the same game (simplifying a bit), are now partnered for 10 years with Activision who is famous for running their franchises into the ground with sequel after sequel. 

Sandwiches do fix everything.
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2010, 02:34:24 PM »

Quote from: mytocles on April 29, 2010, 02:26:17 PM

From the derogatory statements about Activision, it seems like GT'ers view them in a negative light.  I'm not very familiar with Activision - yeah, I've heard of them and all, but that's about it.  

If anyone cares to delve into that topic, I'd read it!  Think of it as a project to keep looking busy if you're at work, when in fact you are bored stiff (or lazy) - any takers?   icon_mrgreen

for the last 6 months or so,Activision haven't had good press(they own the developers Infinity Wards)...for me it started when they put the COD:Modern Warfare 2 RRP up to 55,and then a few months later a lot of people were laid off from Activision in the UK

according to Infinity Wards,it was Activisions decision to price the MW2 map pack at 1200 points not the usual 800

and then of course you have the blow out between Activision Vs Infinity Wards,pretty much every day there have been people walking out of Infinity Wards studios because of Activision(apparently Activisions a bastard to work for)

couple all that with Activisions already damaged rep of milking various Game franchises like Guitar Hero etc...so this for the average Bungie fan wouldn't be the best news

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2010, 02:50:17 PM »

Quote from: EngineNo9 on April 29, 2010, 02:33:59 PM

I find it very ironic that Bungie, who left Microsoft because they were sick of making the same game (simplifying a bit), are now partnered for 10 years with Activision who is famous for running their franchises into the ground with sequel after sequel. 

coming in 2011: Not Halo!
coming in 2012: Not Halo 2!
coming in 2013:  wait, we're all dead.  NM.

Because I can,
JayDee

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2010, 02:55:58 PM »

BungVision?
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2010, 03:02:40 PM »

Quote from: JayDee on April 29, 2010, 02:55:58 PM

BungVision?

Bungatard

Because I can,
Freezer-TPF-

First in war and peace, second in the NL East.

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 29, 2010, 03:03:15 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on April 29, 2010, 02:50:17 PM

coming in 2011: Not Halo!
coming in 2012: Not Halo 2!
coming in 2013:  wait, we're all dead.  NM.

Yeah, they won't last 10 years.

Signature on file at the county clerk's office.
Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 29, 2010, 03:35:53 PM »

First release will be Marathon 4 for the Mac.

"Is there any chance your jolly Garchomp is female?" - Wonderpug
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 29, 2010, 03:44:44 PM »

Quote from: Teggy on April 29, 2010, 03:35:53 PM

Marathon boss heads Bungies new IP

Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: April 29, 2010, 03:58:54 PM »

Yeah, no kidding. This doesn't make sense AT ALL. What the hell were they thinking?

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 29, 2010, 04:01:31 PM »

Quote from: Destructor on April 29, 2010, 03:58:54 PM

Yeah, no kidding. This doesn't make sense AT ALL. What the hell were they thinking?

Bungie owns the new IP so this isn't the same situation as with Infinity Ward.  Seems much closer to EA Partners or MS's deal with Epic for Gears.  Bungie can make what they want and if Activision doesn't want to publish it then they can go elsewhere. 
morlac

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 29, 2010, 04:04:37 PM »

"Bungie remains an independent company and will continue to own their intellectual property. Additional terms of the agreement were not disclosed."

"Activision claims the deal 'significantly broadening its global reach by providing the resources and support to develop, distribute and release games worldwide on multiple platforms and devices'."

I'm confused.  Is Activision funding them?  Or just acting as the marketing and distributioon arm of the venture?  If it's the former than these statements will contradict themselves sooner than later.  No way Activision just gives them money wihtout any say on making their games 'more marketable'.

morlac00 on PSN
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 29, 2010, 04:11:04 PM »

Quote from: morlac on April 29, 2010, 04:04:37 PM

I'm confused.  Is Activision funding them?  Or just acting as the marketing and distributioon arm of the venture?  If it's the former than these statements will contradict themselves sooner than later.  No way Activision just gives them money wihtout any say on making their games 'more marketable'.

It isn't a blank check for Bungie to make whatever they want.  Bungie clearly already has the new IP in mind and briefed Actiivsion on what that game will be and Activision clearly thinks it's marketable which isn't a surprise- Bungie isn't exactly Suda 51 or anything.

Resources could be a lot of things including access to various tech libraries that Activision may have on hand. 
Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 29, 2010, 04:25:22 PM »

Quote from: metallicorphan on April 29, 2010, 03:44:44 PM

Quote from: Teggy on April 29, 2010, 03:35:53 PM

Marathon boss heads Bungies new IP

And you thought I was joking.

"Is there any chance your jolly Garchomp is female?" - Wonderpug
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: April 29, 2010, 05:07:32 PM »

Quote from: morlac on April 29, 2010, 04:04:37 PM

"Bungie remains an independent company and will continue to own their intellectual property. Additional terms of the agreement were not disclosed."

"Activision claims the deal 'significantly broadening its global reach by providing the resources and support to develop, distribute and release games worldwide on multiple platforms and devices'."

There's more to game development than pure cash. Without having been a part of the process myself, my understanding is that a publisher can provide tons of data about systems and compatibilities, test labs, marketing, and perhaps even game code libraries from other projects that can be ported over instead of having to start from scratch on everything.
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: April 29, 2010, 05:11:39 PM »

I thought that Blizzard has been, in some significant way, part of Activision for some time now as part of the Vivendi merge with activision.

So, it comes as no surprise that they'd sign some deal like this, all it does is just make sure things are more set in stone.  Although I suspect big checks were given to people who currently control Blizzard's stake in the Activision Blizzard.

Blizzard is definitely not independent anymore and hasn't been for some time, but due to their name and clout they have operated more a separately and have resisted such measures before.  Make no mistake though, activision already has its claws into blizzard, as evidenced by SC2 turning into 3 games.

You know, I think this is just an investment media maneuver to try to offset how negative the press has been for activision with the infinity ward thing, and the fact that analysts are concerned over activision being floated by only 3 products, all of which have hit their peaks.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2010, 05:15:06 PM by Turtle » Logged
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 29, 2010, 05:19:32 PM »

Quote from: Turtle on April 29, 2010, 05:11:39 PM

I thought that Blizzard has been, in some significant way, part of Activision for some time now as part of the Vivendi merge with activision.

So, it comes as no surprise that they'd sign some deal like this, all it does is just make sure things are more set in stone.  Although I suspect big checks were given to people who currently control Blizzard's stake in the Activision Blizzard.

Blizzard is definitely not independent anymore and hasn't been for some time, but due to their name and clout they have operated more a separately and have resisted such measures before.  Make no mistake though, activision already has its claws into blizzard, as evidenced by SC2 turning into 3 games.

You know, I think this is just an investment media maneuver to try to offset how negative the press has been for activision with the infinity ward thing, and the fact that analysts are concerned over activision being floated by only 3 products, all of which have hit their peaks.

How does Activision have their claws into Blizzard?  Blizzard still does what it wants, when it wants.

EDIT:  You really think the SC2 being split into 3 games is from Activision?  You are getting 3 FULL campaigns, it's every Starcraft fans dream.  They didn't skimp on one game and cramming all the story, you'll get a massive 3 game series, with all the requisite upgrades, etc.
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: April 29, 2010, 05:26:44 PM »

You keep believing that buddy.  slywink  As we've seen with Infinity Ward, activision has some shrewd and cutthroat execs, similar to the EA of old.  Blizzard will last as long as the people in control want to retain it, they never had full control to begin with, and now this is just a sign that they're not that interested in retaining complete control.
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: April 29, 2010, 05:33:36 PM »

Bungie is an independent developer with a publishing deal tied to Activision for one specific IP for the next 10 years.

Actizard (or Blizzivision) is a different beast.

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: April 29, 2010, 05:44:48 PM »

d'oh!

Read the names wrong.  Carry on folks.  Tongue
Ridah
Senior Staff Writer

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 29, 2010, 05:53:02 PM »

Quote from: Turtle on April 29, 2010, 05:11:39 PM

According to the press release the deal has been in the works for 9 months now, well before the shit with IW hit the fan.

I see this as a good thing, it means I'll actually have the option of buying the next Bungie game for my PS3.

Sean Lama
Senior Staff Editor, GamingTrend
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: April 29, 2010, 05:56:22 PM »

Yeah.... it'll derive from the history of the RelayRace, and take place on orbital space stations called Hola's.

I hope Anticipatory Zap 434 makes an appearance.

Ridah
Senior Staff Writer

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 29, 2010, 06:06:12 PM »

Eurogamer interviews Bungie on deal (damn that was fast).

Sean Lama
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: April 29, 2010, 06:57:16 PM »

It's a good thing for people who like Bungie games but aren't impressed with Halo.  I want another Marathon or Myth.  Heck, I actually want something like Oni again (but good).

Halo games are fun, but having played other Bungie games makes me miss them doing other stuff.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2010, 07:10:06 PM by Turtle » Logged
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 29, 2010, 07:25:14 PM »

Maybe this means Pimps at Sea will finally see the light of day.....

Because I can,
Sarkus

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: April 29, 2010, 07:31:56 PM »

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/technologybrierdudleysblog/2011734631_kirklands_bungie_signs_huge_po.html

The Seattle Times excellent tech writer blogs about the deal above.  Basically, it's a single IP deal and Bungie retains ownership of the IP.  Activision is publishing and providing support in return for a share of the profits.  Sony and MS were also in the hunt for this deal but Bungie chose Activision so that the IP wouldn't be a platform exclusive.

Roger: And you should know, I have no genitals.
Syndey: That's alright.  I have both.

- American Dad
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: April 29, 2010, 07:40:15 PM »

Quote from: Sarkus on April 29, 2010, 07:31:56 PM

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/technologybrierdudleysblog/2011734631_kirklands_bungie_signs_huge_po.html

The Seattle Times excellent tech writer blogs about the deal above.  Basically, it's a single IP deal and Bungie retains ownership of the IP.  Activision is publishing and providing support in return for a share of the profits.  Sony and MS were also in the hunt for this deal but Bungie chose Activision so that the IP wouldn't be a platform exclusive.

I hate to say it, but I think they should have gone with EA.

metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 29, 2010, 10:28:50 PM »

Quote from: Ridah on April 29, 2010, 06:06:12 PM

yeah its like Eurogamer have some insider knowledge,they had an Interview with the Ex-IW guys straight after they formed Respawn with EA as well

Sarkus

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 29, 2010, 10:35:43 PM »

Quote from: Purge on April 29, 2010, 07:40:15 PM

You are assuming EA was in with a comparable offer to the other three.  That they aren't mentioned suggests that was not the case or that Bungie has some previous history with EA that would disqualify that option.

Roger: And you should know, I have no genitals.
Syndey: That's alright.  I have both.

- American Dad
Ridah
Senior Staff Writer

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 29, 2010, 10:50:54 PM »

Why EA instead of Activision? Despite how things went with IW, for the most part I think Activision has been as good as could be expected from a billion-dollar publisher.

Sean Lama
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 29, 2010, 10:53:53 PM »

Quote from: metallicorphan on April 29, 2010, 10:28:50 PM

Quote from: Ridah on April 29, 2010, 06:06:12 PM

yeah its like Eurogamer have some insider knowledge,they had an Interview with the Ex-IW guys straight after they formed Respawn with EA as well

maybe they're time travellers, and schedule interviews based on future knowledge....

Because I can,
ATB

Thanks for everything, Ryan. 1979-2013

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 29, 2010, 11:12:58 PM »

First Step for Activision: Hire some writers to help Bungie with storylines.
Second Step: Go back and retroactively remove all talking plants from previous Bungie games.
Step Three: Profit!
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #37 on: April 30, 2010, 03:34:18 AM »

Quote from: Ridah on April 29, 2010, 10:50:54 PM

Why EA instead of Activision? Despite how things went with IW, for the most part I think Activision has been as good as could be expected from a billion-dollar publisher.

EA has, as of late, been working on getting some new IP's out there. Granted they have sequels too, but Activision? Yeesh. I'd be concerned with Activision not being around for the next 10 years.

Graham
Managing Editor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #38 on: April 30, 2010, 04:00:02 AM »

Quote from: Purge on April 30, 2010, 03:34:18 AM

Quote from: Ridah on April 29, 2010, 10:50:54 PM

EA has, as of late, been working on getting some new IP's out there. Granted they have sequels too, but Activision? Yeesh. I'd be concerned with Activision not being around for the next 10 years.

You mean Prototype, Singularity, and Blur aren't original IP's?  I don't know if you'd consider War for Cybertron an original IP, but it's not a movie tie-in.  It definitely has a feel more like an original IP.

EA has definitely more new IPs, but I wouldn't be surprised if Activision has a few more up their sleeve that we don't know about.

Partial Owner of the World Champion Green Bay Packers
jersoc

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 30, 2010, 06:22:25 AM »

ugh, been stuck at work all day. now i can finally get this off my chest

Reach is the last bungie game i buy. AWESOME
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 26   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: