http://gamingtrend.com
August 23, 2014, 11:37:15 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 9   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Destiny -Bungie's new game with Activision  (Read 9848 times)
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Thirty. Minutes.

View Profile WWW
Re:
« Reply #120 on: December 07, 2013, 01:28:36 PM »

Just watched the trailer again. Is it just me, or could *everything* be snapped into the haloverse? Even the enemies look like new recruits to the covenant, and their floaty flashlights could be primitive guilty spark tech.

I think they should have moved further away in the art style, especially with the advertising name dropping their Halo'd past.

This doesn't mean I'm not looking forward to what they're going to come out with, mind you.

As for delays, its not a surprise. Bungie has never been good with deadlines. Halo 2 was a mess, had 3 years and almost didn't make it (the first year or so was squandered, according to a behind the scenes video released way back when).

Heck, I remember waiting for Halo on PC before the Xbox was even announced.

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #121 on: December 07, 2013, 03:33:05 PM »

Nah, this is supposed to, in some ways, pull players from Halo. It's different enough for me. Everything is less super military, and more space knights with assault rifles.

And at least they're not reusing the Covenant like halo 4 did. Pfft, Storm Covenant.

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #122 on: December 07, 2013, 08:49:19 PM »

Quote from: forgeforsaken on December 07, 2013, 02:57:21 AM

Bah.  I really hope there's some space between this and The Division as I'm looking forward to both of them.

yeah, if they come out at or very close to the same time The Division will get my money.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Caine

My cocaine

View Profile
« Reply #123 on: June 10, 2014, 09:05:38 PM »

Wow, amazing that this thread went dark for so long.  They posted MP and details.  Seems that you either get or set the max level which determines what your class abilities are.  6 vs 6.  Capture and hold was shown but other modes were discussed.  I'd be shocked if mp wasn't just as fun as the Halo series.

"It's like chess with big guns against aliens. Which isn't like chess at all when I think about it." - Jake Solomon
forgeforsaken

View Profile
« Reply #124 on: June 10, 2014, 09:13:10 PM »

Looks pretty cool from the Giantbomb Unfinished.
http://www.giantbomb.com/videos/unfinished-destiny-06-06-2014/2300-8971/
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #125 on: June 12, 2014, 08:53:15 PM »

Woo got in the alpha!
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #126 on: June 12, 2014, 09:25:22 PM »

Quote from: forgeforsaken on June 10, 2014, 09:13:10 PM

Looks pretty cool from the Giantbomb Unfinished.
http://www.giantbomb.com/videos/unfinished-destiny-06-06-2014/2300-8971/

Yeah, this was the first thing that actually showed me what the game is.  It's seemed pretty nebulous to me up to this point.

Sandwiches do fix everything.
forgeforsaken

View Profile
« Reply #127 on: June 12, 2014, 11:08:05 PM »

Yup I got an alpha email as well but can't try it until tomorrow as I'm off to a concert.
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #128 on: June 13, 2014, 12:43:28 AM »

grats guys, I really like the look of this game.  hope to play it soon
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #129 on: June 13, 2014, 01:14:16 AM »

Seems to me like this is basically Borderlands.  I did a mission solo then some quests and then a new area opened where you have to be with a group of 3.  Gear is colored like WoW and there's a hub for players I've just started exploring.
Caine

My cocaine

View Profile
« Reply #130 on: June 13, 2014, 02:14:03 AM »

Also got in.  I'll give it a shot after it downloads.

"It's like chess with big guns against aliens. Which isn't like chess at all when I think about it." - Jake Solomon
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #131 on: June 13, 2014, 02:36:55 PM »

Looks like I maxed out level.  You can only get to level 8 in the Alph and you start just shy of 3.  The abilities are weird, you are given the ability to upgrade, but as you level there's only 1 item you can choose and there seems to be no need to "save" upgrades.  I think maybe it's like this so you know you have a new ability?  Weird.  All the classes seem to start with the same weapons and only seem to have different grenades and then abilities later on. 

There are 3 different things to do in the Alpha.  When you start you have a quest to do.  Then you have kind of open world stuff to do for a few levels, then you have something called a "Strike" which is basically an instanced dungeon.  The bosses in the Strike were so ridiculous in the sense of how much ammo you have to pump into them it was silly. 

Loot is like borderlands and it seems like you can upgrade individual weapons too, at least the more rare items (non-white).

Overall I was not mind blown and I am seriously doubting whether this is going to be a 10 year thing.  Maybe it will be much more interesting as you level.  At these early levels there's just not that many abilities.
forgeforsaken

View Profile
« Reply #132 on: June 13, 2014, 03:06:49 PM »

I don't know about ten years, but I like it a lot.  It's very much haloXborderlands but also with a bit of MMO in it.  What I mean by that is you run across a lot of random players, especially when you are doing the explore mode.  Melee combat also feel really good and I'm enjoying stabbing guys with my Hunter and punching them with my Titan.
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #133 on: June 13, 2014, 03:47:47 PM »

Did you have to do anything to get in the alpha or did it just kind of happen?

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
forgeforsaken

View Profile
« Reply #134 on: June 13, 2014, 03:50:36 PM »

There was a site you had to submit your PSN id to, but registration is now closed.
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #135 on: June 13, 2014, 03:54:52 PM »

There is a beta coming in late july if you pre-order.  They (Amazon, at least) send you the code right away so you can cancel your pre-order and still participate.
Caine

My cocaine

View Profile
« Reply #136 on: June 13, 2014, 03:56:43 PM »

Played for about 2 hours yesterday with a hunter.  I liked the melee after leveling up to get throwing knives.  not starting with a class specific special weapon is a bad idea imo as you have to play for a long chunk before you get to see class differences.  I noticed a bug/design quirk when I finally swapped the shotgun for the sniper that I bought between the first mission and the open world explore mode.  I had maxed secondary ammo with the SG then after the swap, had 0 sniper rifle ammo and none was around.  So, I swapped back and found that the game had zeroed my SG ammo as well.  The primary swap doesn't cause this to happen, thankfully.  I did about a 8 or so random missions in the explore mode and this is where the grindy MMO feel enters in.  I had several 'kill x of y' or 'kill x of y to get z item', one 'go here to hack a console' and one mission which was carbon copied from the first one, right down to the same location.  I'm granting that this is alpha and wouldn't expect the same experience to continue in beta/release.  

I ran into a few other players at this time, and the best moment was when I emerged from a structure and found two fighting a spawned Scarab-like tank.  We were not able to bring it down in the time limit offered but I noticed that each leg had separate health.  The regular spawns of Fallen come in via drop ship which can be damaged (and brought down potentially).  I ran across another dynamic mission in the form of a cap and hold to allow the not-guilty spark hack the console.  This summoned a new breed of enemy with a different attack and specials.  I later saw these same enemies fight against the Fallen (nice touch).  I also stumbled into a high-level enemy's camp and had to retreat.  

It looks like you can get mp contracts to complete in the Crucible.  These have that random generation like Halo Reach (iirc) as does the weapon/armor vendors and the Decryptors (unidentified loot you pick up).  

As for loot, I picked up about a half dozen pieces of various weapons and armor and a few unidentified pieces.  It's nice you can carry a bunch of them, even though you are limited to primary and secondary.  I did get a heavy weapon, but I haven't used it yet.  It seems to follow more along Diablo than Borderlands and armor has some variances along type, so you could end up in a matching set.  the more rare stuff has bonuses to attributes and can increase reload speed or allow more ammo of a specific type to be carried.  

The SP/co-op meld is nice, as you seemingly drop in/out to a large map without any noticeable sign.  The map is large and looks nice too.

here's a saved stream for anyone interested.

http://www.twitch.tv/kaseivallis/b/537987367

Autistic Angel

View Profile
« Reply #137 on: June 13, 2014, 06:32:14 PM »

It looks like Brandon Cackowski-Schnell will also be doing a live stream of the Destiny alpha tonight.  From his Twitter:

Quote from: MisterBinky
Sorry Watch_Dogs but Chicago has to wait for a little bit as I dip around the Destiny Alpha.

And yes, I will be streaming the fuck out of it tonight.

His streams usually begin about 7:00pm Eastern / 4:00pm Pacific and last for one hour.  His Twitch channel is here.

-Autistic Angel
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #138 on: June 13, 2014, 10:33:32 PM »

I got another PS4 code sent to me through my PS4 notifications (PS+ maybe?) even though I have already been playing.  Any forum regular want it?  PM me.

Claimed
« Last Edit: June 14, 2014, 03:20:27 AM by leo8877 » Logged
Autistic Angel

View Profile
« Reply #139 on: June 13, 2014, 11:09:28 PM »

OMG IT'S STARTING

-Autistic Angel
Eco-Logic
Gaming Trend Member

Gamertag: St0ckBroker

View Profile
« Reply #140 on: June 14, 2014, 01:10:43 PM »

Sent you a PM Leo!

Sent from my mobile device

This signature is intentional, ie not a mistake.  If you thing Rick Perry should be forced to resign for this crap, you're part of the problem with our country.  Give me a freaking break.
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #141 on: June 14, 2014, 05:52:09 PM »

Huh, for some reason I got an email with an alpha code from Amazon.  I suppose I've spent enough money there on games that they are just trying to get me to preorder this one.

ATB

Thanks for everything, Ryan. 1979-2013

View Profile
« Reply #142 on: June 14, 2014, 06:16:04 PM »

Quote from: EngineNo9 on June 14, 2014, 05:52:09 PM

Huh, for some reason I got an email with an alpha code from Amazon.  I suppose I've spent enough money there on games that they are just trying to get me to preorder this one.

Me too. I have no PS4.

PM me if you wants it.
Caine

My cocaine

View Profile
« Reply #143 on: June 14, 2014, 07:11:44 PM »

Quote from: ATB on June 14, 2014, 06:16:04 PM

Quote from: EngineNo9 on June 14, 2014, 05:52:09 PM

Me too. I have no PS4.

PM me if you wants it.
its a sign.  You should buy  a PS4.

Canuck

I live in Japan

View Profile
« Reply #144 on: June 15, 2014, 12:52:47 AM »

I've got a code as well if anyone needs one.
Eco-Logic
Gaming Trend Member

Gamertag: St0ckBroker

View Profile
« Reply #145 on: June 15, 2014, 05:38:08 PM »

I would love a code if anybody still has one. I sent you two a private message.

Sent from my mobile device

This signature is intentional, ie not a mistake.  If you thing Rick Perry should be forced to resign for this crap, you're part of the problem with our country.  Give me a freaking break.
Canuck

I live in Japan

View Profile
« Reply #146 on: June 15, 2014, 10:06:53 PM »

Gave my code to Eco-Logic
Zinfan

View Profile
« Reply #147 on: June 15, 2014, 11:29:40 PM »

Played a Hunter up to the max lvl 8, plenty of fun to be had.  I enjoyed the multiplayer map which was 6v6 capture 3 flag points.  Game looks very good to my eyes and the shooting is fun.  I picked up some unidentified loot along the way so there are drops out and about.  Also tried a co-op legendary mission but the other two bailed out when we got to the finish, to be fair I'm not sure we ever would have gotten it done.
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #148 on: June 16, 2014, 12:10:02 PM »

Level 8 came way faster than I was expecting.  Also, I didn't know that was the cap, and I was a little irked, since I had just bought some sweet Level 9 gear in anticipation.  Why are they even available??

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
forgeforsaken

View Profile
« Reply #149 on: June 16, 2014, 12:48:15 PM »

I got a Hunter and Titan to level 8 and a Warlock to level 6 or 7.  I've found level 12 gear! crybaby
Caine

My cocaine

View Profile
« Reply #150 on: June 16, 2014, 03:21:28 PM »

The alpha has been extended for a while.  btw, had I known that the alpha keys were going for $40 on ebay, I would have tried selling it.  insane that anyone would pay that much for a limited time trial. 

Quote from: @Bungie
There's a rumor that the #Destiny Alpha might be extended to allow dangerous experiments. Play beyond the official close at your own risk!

Ridah
Senior Staff Writer

View Profile
« Reply #151 on: June 16, 2014, 07:59:39 PM »

Quote from: Caine on June 16, 2014, 03:21:28 PM

The alpha has been extended for a while.  btw, had I known that the alpha keys were going for $40 on ebay, I would have tried selling it.  insane that anyone would pay that much for a limited time trial. 

There's a rumor that the #Destiny Alpha might be extended to allow dangerous experiments. Play beyond the official close at your own risk!

Is the risk just in losing character data? The way they're wording it, you would think the hardware was at risk...

Sean Lama
Senior Staff Editor, GamingTrend
forgeforsaken

View Profile
« Reply #152 on: June 16, 2014, 08:01:45 PM »

Quote from: Ridah on June 16, 2014, 07:59:39 PM

Quote from: Caine on June 16, 2014, 03:21:28 PM

Is the risk just in losing character data? The way they're wording it, you would think the hardware was at risk...

I think they are testing server loads, so you may experience disconnects and other server load related issues.
Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #153 on: June 18, 2014, 12:50:56 AM »

Huh, apparently I was in the alpha but didn't turn on any of my PlaystationTM devices recently so I didn't know it. Oh well.

"Is there any chance your jolly Garchomp is female?" - Wonderpug
forgeforsaken

View Profile
« Reply #154 on: June 18, 2014, 01:27:50 AM »

Quote from: Teggy on June 18, 2014, 12:50:56 AM

Huh, apparently I was in the alpha but didn't turn on any of my PlaystationTM devices recently so I didn't know it. Oh well.
They sent out emails as well to the account you have tied in to PSN.  The Alpha was great, I can't wait for the full game.
ATB

Thanks for everything, Ryan. 1979-2013

View Profile
« Reply #155 on: June 18, 2014, 01:33:36 AM »

I'm intentionally avoiding everything about this game.

Is it an MMO or what?
forgeforsaken

View Profile
« Reply #156 on: June 18, 2014, 02:04:56 AM »

Quote from: ATB on June 18, 2014, 01:33:36 AM

Is it an MMO or what?

Sort of.  The server populates with randoms, so you will run across other players as you play. It might be doing something clever like changing servers on you as you go through inside areas between open sections.  There's a central town hub where you'll see a lot of randoms, as well as all the shops.  Mission selection is done from orbit in your space ship, and in the alpha you could select a story mission, a 3 man strike mission, or an open explore mode where you take on random quests from beacons throughout the map.  There was also a selectable PvP mode.  There's a full loot system, along with leveling up your character and skill trees, individual loot items can level up and be upgraded as well, often with their own min skill trees.  When in explore mode there are also area group events that spawn from time to time, like an enemy drop ship bringing in a spider tank, or a crashed ship that needs to be defended through several waves of attacks etc.
Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #157 on: June 18, 2014, 02:40:16 AM »

Quote from: forgeforsaken on June 18, 2014, 01:27:50 AM

Quote from: Teggy on June 18, 2014, 12:50:56 AM

They sent out emails as well to the account you have tied in to PSN.  The Alpha was great, I can't wait for the full game.

My gmail is horrible with false positives for spam, so that wouldn't surprise me. I'm curious so I'll take a look.

"Is there any chance your jolly Garchomp is female?" - Wonderpug
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #158 on: June 18, 2014, 02:53:04 AM »

Quote from: ATB on June 18, 2014, 01:33:36 AM

Is it an MMO or what?

There is a dance emote bound to a direction on the d-pad.  That should answer your question.  slywink

Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #159 on: June 18, 2014, 04:33:31 AM »

Podcasts that I listen to say the same, it's an MMO shooter that doesn't want to mention the MMO part.

They have all the hallmarks, public events, hub areas, quest givers, etc.

That said, I doubt they'll have a monthly fee, instead I foresee them going the Guild Wars route where it's microtransactions and expansions packs, alongside the initial $60 buy in.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 9   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: