http://gamingtrend.com
August 02, 2014, 04:50:43 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Bungie's banning of thousands of players...  (Read 1568 times)
DiamondDecision
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« on: January 16, 2005, 09:51:23 PM »

Just saw the article on CG's news that Bungie was banning thousands of players for cheating.

I gotta say that is "Exhibit A" for me why I will *never* *ever* be online again.  I used to play nothing but online during Unreal Tournament, Counter-Strike, etc.  If it was hot, I played it online.

I got sooooooooooo tired of the cheating and the attitudes, when I went to the Xbox, I didn't even get Live, nor will I.

I laughed recently when I saw a quote from Bill Gates where he thought that 80% of people with an Xbox 2 will be online.  I guarantee you I'll be in the 20% hold out.

Guaranteed.

Until it's guaranteed that 100% of the cheating is gone and all the "in your face" stuff is gone as well (which is impossible for that to be removed), it's simply too risky and aggravating to attempt it.
Thin_J
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2005, 09:56:16 PM »

I've been extremely happy with Live.

Yes there are asshats. No, I don't see too much of them.

I tend to play a lot with the same group, and that alleviates almost all of the problems of playing online.

Xbox Live: Thin J
PSN: Thin_J
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2005, 10:10:29 PM »

awesome! i am convinced the only way to stop the assholes and griefers and cheaters is to crackdown as hard as possible.
vagabond
BANNED
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2005, 02:00:37 AM »

Quote from: "Rage"
awesome! i am convinced the only way to stop the assholes and griefers and cheaters is to crackdown as hard as possible.

Banning them will temporarily remove them as a problem for that particular game. But it is not going to turn assholes into non-assholes. Until they gain the maturity to realize nothing you cheat to get is worth having in the first place, won't really change much. I got tired of all that baby crap myself so I don't play anything online anymore, and don't expect to anytime soon.

Dimmona

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2005, 02:56:10 AM »

I dunno; I find it easy enough in most games to simply mute people so I don't have to deal with the 13yr old or two talking smack.  

I really liked Unreal Championship's implementation of having multiple channels, so that you and your friends could use a seperate channel for comm/tactics/etc.

Cheating will always be an issue no matter what the platform is when you're talking about online gaming; however, the fact that MS hosts the majority of the servers *does* make its games a little bit more cheat proof than, say, the PS2 (SOCOM anyone?).

Xbox Live tag: Dimmona
DS WiFi Friends Codes
Wii Code: 6091 9321 3340 8417
Xbox360 Gamer Card
DiamondDecision
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2005, 01:53:25 PM »

Quote from: "Dimmona"
however, the fact that MS hosts the majority of the servers *does* make its games a little bit more cheat proof than, say, the PS2 (SOCOM anyone?).

The fact that *thousands* of people were banned disproves that statement.  

Cheating must be pretty easy.

The death penalty isn't severe enough for cheaters.
morlac

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2005, 04:10:21 PM »

Quote from: "DiamondDecision"
however, the fact that MS hosts the majority of the servers *does* make its games a little bit more cheat proof than, say, the PS2 (SOCOM anyone?).

Actully They banned people for excessive cussing, using racial slurs, and genarlly being abusive(ie being asshats) plus all the cheaters.

morlac00 on PSN
ingrin
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2005, 05:00:11 PM »

But MS isn't hosting Halo 2 games, it is the exception.  They tried more of a distributed model.  No one knows who is hosting, and games are created at random.  All was fine until some cable modem users started abusing the standby feature on their modems.  It enables them to move while everyone else stands still if they are the host (no one knows who is the host, from what I understand, people just mash the button early in the game to see if they are.  Secondly, they get reported and apparently the cable modem trick is fairly easy to prove if they are reported.  And it looks like they are being banned, which is a step forward...
ChrisGwinn
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2005, 05:00:17 PM »

Quote from: "vagabond"

Banning them will temporarily remove them as a problem for that particular game. But it is not going to turn assholes into non-assholes. Until they gain the maturity to realize nothing you cheat to get is worth having in the first place, won't really change much. I got tired of all that baby crap myself so I don't play anything online anymore, and don't expect to anytime soon.

Are these Halo2 bans or Live bans?  If they're Live bans, then they're gone for good, from all games, unless they buy a new XBox.
ingrin
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2005, 05:01:21 PM »

Quote from: "ChrisGwinn"

Are these Halo2 bans or Live bans?  If they're Live bans, then they're gone for good, from all games, unless they buy a new XBox.

read the article on Bungie.net.  It looks like its temporary for the most part, except for some of the more egregious offenders.
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

Thirty. Minutes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2005, 07:25:54 PM »

I laughed recently when I saw a quote from Bill Gates where he thought that 80% of people with an Xbox 2 will be online.  I guarantee you I'll be in the 20% hold out.

Guaranteed.

Until it's guaranteed that 100% of the cheating is gone and all the "in your face" stuff is gone as well (which is impossible for that to be removed), it's simply too risky and aggravating to attempt it.

I'm happy their banning people, and although I understand your frustration it seems like you're cutting your nose off to spite your face.

I don't deal with too many lame people, and I find after an evening of gameplay I end up with 2 or 3 more friends who are worth playing with. That with the CG list of people has me more than satisfied.

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
vagabond
BANNED
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2005, 03:47:06 AM »

Are these Halo2 bans or Live bans? If they're Live bans, then they're gone for good, from all games, unless they buy a new XBox.<<<<

If it is just an IP ban, those are easy to get around. You can just change your ISP and the IP will change. I seriously doubt they have some kind of code specific to each Xbox. But, it is not impossible.

Thin_J

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 18, 2005, 06:27:08 AM »

Are these Halo2 bans or Live bans? If they're Live bans, then they're gone for good, from all games, unless they buy a new XBox.<<<<

If it is just an IP ban, those are easy to get around. You can just change your ISP and the IP will change. I seriously doubt they have some kind of code specific to each Xbox. But, it is not impossible.

They have absolutely no difficulty in banning an individual Xbox from live. Once they've done that you can neither use that Xbox for Live, use the account you tried to use on it, nor can you use the same Credit card you used before to get a new account.

Ask the people who were banned for modded Xbox's.

Xbox Live: Thin J
PSN: Thin_J
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: