http://gamingtrend.com
October 23, 2014, 12:16:45 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Bully. Who's getting and who's got impressions.  (Read 6474 times)
Rubyeye
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« on: October 17, 2006, 02:54:48 PM »

I wasn't even aware Bully was a game until a few weeks ago.  I have kind of been following it and while I have read some detailed articles about the game, I still don't know what to expect.  The game seems like it has a lot to do and interesting story.  I hopefully have time to pick it up this evening but I suspect I won't have time to play it until next week as my schedule is kind of busy.  I am rather surprised there hasn't been any talk of it here at GT.  Is anyone here interested in it or is Bully catering to more of the low-brow crowd? slywink  So what's the scoop?

omgz
kathode
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2006, 02:58:10 PM »

Going to pick it up this afternoon.  Bully dodgeball FTW!

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2006, 03:00:22 PM »

I'm picking it up tonight.  Damn, that CE looks impressive!

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
TheMissingLink

TML, for short.

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2006, 03:06:35 PM »

I don't think I'm going to be able to hold off...game looks too freaking cool.  And I have like, 3 games I'm simultaneously playing right now!

I saw a screenie of the main character at a carnival holding hands with some chick - THAT'S what sold me.

TheMissingLink on PSN
Rubyeye
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2006, 03:39:09 PM »

Yeah, screw it.  The dodgeball looks badass. CEFTW!

omgz
ATB

Thanks for everything, Ryan. 1979-2013

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2006, 03:45:38 PM »

Have it on order from Outpost.  Can't wait to play it.
TheMissingLink

TML, for short.

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2006, 04:00:06 PM »

Ahem, that's totally a kickball.

Or a four-square ball.

TheMissingLink on PSN
kathode

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2006, 05:04:34 PM »

I don't care what you call it.  I am totally beaning someone in the office in the head with it.

Unfortunately I'll be doing it tomorrow.  Just went by EB and the guys said he didn't expect it in until then.

icon_cry
Nth Power

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2006, 07:05:34 PM »

Reviews have been very favorable so far and from reading them it sounds like a blast.

Fry's is supposed to have it today, so I'm going to swing by and pick it up later.

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities" -Voltaire
XBL gamertag: NthPowr
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2006, 07:08:56 PM »

it isnt out until a week on friday here under the name 'canis canem edit'...good news is though is that for some reason it is only £22.99(platanium titles are only £19.99)

Manchester United Premier League Champions 2013!!

Xbox LIVE:Metallicorphan
Wii:8565 1513 0206 1960
PSN:Metallicorphan
Rubyeye
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 17, 2006, 07:16:11 PM »

ZOMGZ my CE just arrived.  Too bad I have stuff to do for the rest of the week.   crybaby

omgz
siege

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 17, 2006, 07:21:27 PM »

http://www.gametrailers.com/player.p...pe=wmv&pl=game

GT Video Review. They gave it an 8.1 score.
depward

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 17, 2006, 07:37:40 PM »

Don't have the 1up link, but it received a 10/10.

depward on the Playstation Network
raaaaaawwwwwwr on Xbox Live
coopasonic

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: October 17, 2006, 07:38:01 PM »

Quote from: metallicorphan on October 17, 2006, 07:08:56 PM

good news is though is that for some reason it is only £22.99(platanium titles are only £19.99)

I think the real story here is your platinum hits are seriously overpriced, Bully is priced about the same. slywink

19.99 GBP = 37.3857 USD

It was this moment that took the movie from being a little ho-hum to “holy shit, did that shark just eat a plane!?”
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 17, 2006, 07:44:30 PM »

yeah thats about right(£19.99 same price as a DVD)...your full price games are $60 arent they?..if so then that is more or less the same

PS2 and xbox 1 games have been £32.99 for some time..full price 360 games are £50

and maybe the platanium price has gone down since,im not sure....PS2 was practically dead in the water until 2 weeks ago when kingdom hearts 2 was relased,last week metal gear 3 sub..whatever..and now bully next week...come next month when FF12 comes out,and then that will be the end of ps2 for me

if platinum have gone down it will proberbly only be £17.99

also we pay 17.5 % tax on everything because we are british mugs

Manchester United Premier League Champions 2013!!

Xbox LIVE:Metallicorphan
Wii:8565 1513 0206 1960
PSN:Metallicorphan
coopasonic

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: October 17, 2006, 09:26:38 PM »

Quote from: metallicorphan on October 17, 2006, 07:44:30 PM

yeah thats about right(£19.99 same price as a DVD)...your full price games are $60 arent they?..if so then that is more or less the same

most 360 games are $60, most typical ps2/xbox games are $50, Bully is $40 ($50 for collector's edition), platinum hits are $20.

It was this moment that took the movie from being a little ho-hum to “holy shit, did that shark just eat a plane!?”
WinoMcCougarstein

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: October 17, 2006, 09:30:25 PM »

I gave in to the hype but i cant play it until i get home from work.

wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 17, 2006, 10:22:51 PM »

Quote from: GatorFavre on October 17, 2006, 09:30:25 PM

I gave in to the hype but i cant play it until i get home from work.
I do hear it plays a lot better if you use it with a PS2.
TheMissingLink

TML, for short.

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 17, 2006, 11:46:40 PM »

GameStop said they didn't have it...Best Buy had like, 10 copies so I GOT it and the front cover is hawt.

Unfortunately, I have to f'n work tonight frown

TheMissingLink on PSN
Dafones

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 18, 2006, 01:12:41 AM »

Once I get myself a new job, I'll be rewarding myself with Bully (and Okami). The reviews have seemed quite favourable (though not in the second-coming range) - and any worry of uber-violence and child-warping gameplay is apparently utter shit. Wonder if the press will be beneficial or not.

Now Playing: GTA - San Andreas [PS2]
Yoshi's Island DS [DS]
Nth Power

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 18, 2006, 01:44:59 AM »

Hopefully it'll make Jack Thompson look like a little silly.  Didn't he call Bully a murder simulator?

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities" -Voltaire
corruptrelic

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 18, 2006, 01:47:05 AM »

Yeah he called it a "Columbine Simulator" even though there's no blood or deaths in the game.

Still hoping for some impressions..

"A gladiator does not fear death. He embraces it. Caresses it. Fucks it. Every time he enters the arena, he slides his cock into the mouth of the beast."
kathode

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 18, 2006, 03:27:29 AM »

I got a call late tonight that their shipment had come in, so I drove on back and picked it up right before they closed.  I did indeed get the CE, and the box is great.  It's not a real metal case like it looks like in some pics, but it's heavy cardboard that's been very highly glossed to give that feel, and the large size of it makes for a pretty striking package.  Open up the front to reveal the game, and the inside of the box includes the deflated dodgeball, a Rockstar sticker, and a small comic.  There's also a big fold-out glossy map in the game box.  I didn't bother to read the comic yet.  It's monotone and on folded stock paper.  Looks like one of those religious handouts that crazy guys try to give you on the street.  The dodgeball looks great though.  I'm filling it up tomorrow and beaning Todd Howard in the head first thing.

I've played the game for about two hours (2.61% done!) and my impressions are very favorable.  Basically you've just got to imagine Vice City or San Andreas transposed to a boarding school setting to get the basic idea.  The story plays out in the same style of high quality cutscenes, and there are factions - the Jocks, the Nerds, the Greasers, etc. - who give you tasks and it tracks your respect from each one.  Some of the things I've done so far - given a couple atomic wedgies, grabbed a Jock's hands and did the "why are you hitting yourself?" thing, stuck a stinkbomb in a girl's locker, thrown firecrackers at nerds, climbed a tree and shot rocks from my slingshot to disrupt the football team's practice, given a nerd an indian burn, fought with a homeless guy who taught me an uppercut, wrestled in gym class, stuffed a couple bullies in trash bins, and hidden from an angry prefect in a locker.

Classes are good for a pace change.  I've done chemistry, which plays out like the dancing game in San Andreas (or the Hot Coffee game for that matter) where you have to time button presses.  English classes give you a scramble of letters, and you have to pick out as many words as possible.  Unfortunately I was on a task and skipped art class, but gym class has you practicing grapple techniques during wrestling.  You can apparently upgrade your abilities by doing well in classes, but so far only the gym class helped me, giving me a new grappling technique.  You can skip class anytime you like, but the prefects that wander the grounds constantly will come after you if they find you skipping.  Getting sent to the principal's office is the result, where you will lose some items and have to restart any tasks you were on.

Overall there's a huge amount of things to do and I haven't even tried to strike out on my own yet.  I've only seen the school grounds - there's a whole town around the school that you can visit.  The only negative I can say for now is that the controls are a bit wonky.  Unlike the previous GTA games (as near as I can remember) you can't turn on a dime.  Instead, there's a required "turning arc" that your character must go through.  It's very small but it means your character doesn't immediately move where you want him to, making things feel unresponsive.  It causes some problems when trying to move the camera around independently of your motion, too.  Basically it's pretty easy in that situation to lose all point of reference control-wise and have to reset the camera to get back on track.  Kind of tough to describe but initially I had to check and make sure my controller was plugged in ok.

Once you get used to it, it's not a big deal though.  The gameplay is just a lot of fun and I can't wait to give my first swirlie!  Finally after all these years I get to experience life on the other side slywink
« Last Edit: October 18, 2006, 04:05:25 AM by kathode » Logged
Nth Power

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 18, 2006, 09:19:06 AM »

I put in a couple hours tonight too and am very pleased so far.  My experience at this point is pretty much the same as kathode's, so I'll just try to add some things. 

The controls didn't really bother me, although the camera angle isn't always the best in a fight.  Once I lock-on to the enemy everything's OK, but fighting more than one opponent is a little difficult.  Get their health down far enough and you can pull off a humiliate move like giving a noogie or bitch slapping them.  Luckily running away is easy if things look to be too tough.  I probably need to get some better moves.  Prefects are always on the look out for troublemakers, but there's a nice minimap showing where they are and their range of sight, very much like Metal Gear.

Other things :

- Picked the lock on a locker and received a "Kick Me" sign.  Put the sign on someone's back and they became a kick magnet.
- Took a fire extinguisher off the wall and shot it at some nerd.  Nerd ran away.
- When I was being chased by some greasers, the music changed to 70s style car chase music.   :smile:
- Voice acting is excellent and there's quite a bit of funny dialogue.
- Changed Jimmy's wardrobe.  You can change individual body parts or change it as a complete outfit.  Early on, there's a few options - even tightie whities.

Cleric7

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 18, 2006, 01:25:01 PM »

Let me start by saying I am not in favour of game censorship. But as the father of an 11-year-old, I'm a little concerned when I hear about parts of this game where you are encouraged to pick on "nerds". Specifically, parts of the game that appear to centre around you as a stronger person bullying a "weaker" person.

I don't have the game and I'm only going on impressions I have read, but I can tell you that bullying is a real problem in our schools. There are a lot of young people in our society who have never learned empathy for their fellow man, who believe that if you are strong enough to do something to someone weaker, then you should do it. You have a right to do it! I am not saying that this particular game is going to create persons like that, but I think we all have to be aware of the subtle messages that are being sent to young people from all directions: games, television, movies, etc.

Again I'm not saying "Oh, this game is evil and shouldn't be on the shelves!" I just think it is worthy of debate -- young people are going to be playing this game, regardless of the ESRB rating (You wouldn't believe the number of children in our neighborhood who played Grand Theft Auto)

I honestly wish that game developers would apply the wonderful openness of the Grand Theft Auto model to subjects that aren't centred about thugs and gangs. There is so much potential there but we seem to only want to go down one very narrow road.

For those who have played the game -- I admit that I have not -- I would welcome your feedback on this!

"All that is necessary for evil to flourish is for good people to do nothing."
coopasonic

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: October 18, 2006, 01:36:41 PM »

Quote from: Cleric7 on October 18, 2006, 01:25:01 PM

Again I'm not saying "Oh, this game is evil and shouldn't be on the shelves!" I just think it is worthy of debate -- young people are going to be playing this game, regardless of the ESRB rating (You wouldn't believe the number of children in our neighborhood who played Grand Theft Auto)

I'm gonna go buy this now before it gets pulled. slywink I was in Gamestop yesterday and they had them in stock and I have plenty of credit at gamestop, but  I decided to wait for whatever reason. TRUB2G1 is still on my mind. The impressions sound very promising though, even if they prove Jack Thompson right!

The Grue

You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 18, 2006, 01:39:00 PM »

I honestly wish that game developers would apply the wonderful openness of the Grand Theft Auto model to subjects that aren't centred about thugs and gangs.

The problem is right there in your first paragraph that I have quoted.  Kids are playing GTA who shouldn't and how is that the fault of the game or game publishers?  If parents took a little more time to figure out what the content of GTA was, then if they let their kids play it, they get to live with the consequences, not the game makers.

I agree with you, though, that I wish developers would take the openess of GTA and apply it to different things.  There have been some, like Mercenaries, but I would welcome more as I am really tired of gangstas.  Bully is also a game that isn't about gangstas and thugs and I will probably pick it up.  It only has a Teen rating, so while maybe not good for little kids, I don't think it will be as bad as GTA and certainly not worthy of being called a Columbine Simulator.

XBox Live ID: The Grue
Playstation Network Name: TheGrue
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 18, 2006, 01:39:54 PM »

For those who have played the game -- I admit that I have not -- I would welcome your feedback on this!

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't this game about (as far as storyline and what the game encourages you to do) the main character standing up to bullies, not about being one himself?
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 18, 2006, 01:43:30 PM »

Quote from: wonderpug on October 18, 2006, 01:39:54 PM

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't this game about (as far as storyline and what the game encourages you to do) the main character standing up to bullies, not about being one himself?

Going on the Game Trailers review, you sort of pick on everybody, including "nerds". 
coopasonic

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: October 18, 2006, 02:05:59 PM »

Quote from: kathode on October 18, 2006, 03:27:29 AM

Some of the things I've done so far - given a couple atomic wedgies, grabbed a Jock's hands and did the "why are you hitting yourself?" thing, stuck a stinkbomb in a girl's locker, thrown firecrackers at nerds, climbed a tree and shot rocks from my slingshot to disrupt the football team's practice, given a nerd an indian burn, fought with a homeless guy who taught me an uppercut, wrestled in gym class, stuffed a couple bullies in trash bins, and hidden from an angry prefect in a locker.

It sounds like you play the bully to me.

TC Weidner
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: October 18, 2006, 02:09:15 PM »

This game isn't about picking on anyone. It is about standing up for yourself.  No group is any more powerful than the next. The bully group isn't more powerful than nerds, nerds have a access to more ingenous tricks and devices etc.

The only problem with this game is the name, they should of named it 'Bullworth Academy" and they would of avoided all these people judging it without ever playing it.
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 18, 2006, 02:13:31 PM »

Quote from: TC Weidner on October 18, 2006, 02:09:15 PM

The only problem with this game is the name, they should of named it 'Bullworth Academy" and they would of avoided all these people judging it without ever playing it.
How about a catchy name like Canis Canem Edit!
kathode

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 18, 2006, 02:29:47 PM »

You pick on everyone.  There is even a "bullies" faction that you can befriend (or make angry), but beating up on people and "humiliating" them (the term used in the game's tutorial) through indian burns and wedgies is undeniably a central part of the game.  There are consequences to reckless violence - any amount of violence at all raises your troublemaker meter, and if you've got a high troublemaker meter the prefects will come after you whether they see you engaged in the behavior or not.  Also, at one point I was beating up a succession of people in the school rather indiscriminately, and a message popped up saying something to the effect of "Don't be a bully.  You'll make everyone angry at you." 

It remains unclear whether you're going to turn into some justice-vigilante type character as the story progresses, and learn the value of real friendship or some other after-school special blather.  The game doesn't give you a whole lot of choice other than what mission to take next, but it's very unclear what the end result of the missions are going to be.  Basically all it gives you is a choice of names.  So do you want to do "The Diary" or "A Little Help"?  It doesn't tell you "You will piss off the Nerds in this mission." 

I should clarify my control comment just a bit - running around normally everything is fine.  The thing I find difficult is pulling off a move like running past a door and trying to turn the camera to look in the door while I keep running in a straight line in the same direction.  I'm used to doing that quite a bit in most third person games, and I find that to be very difficult to pull off in Bully.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2006, 02:33:40 PM by kathode » Logged
corruptrelic

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 18, 2006, 02:44:41 PM »

But as the father of an 11-year-old, I'm a little concerned when I hear about parts of this game where you are encouraged to pick on "nerds".

No offense to you personally, but it seems most people up in arms about this game are the ones who haven't even played it.

I agree with The Grue, as it's up to parents to control what their kids play. It shoudn't be up to Rockstar or the government to tell you what you can and can't do in the privacy of your own home, you as a parent need to decide what your 11 year old can or can't play.

For those of us with solid heads and mature attitudes, a game like GTA can be a lot of good fun. Does it make me want to go on a killing spree afterwards? Sure does!
Seriously, of course it doesn't! Because a sane person knows it's just a video game or a movie, it's fictional entertainment.
And it's worth pointing out I've been playing video games since I was a kid.. but again, if you're a logical, sane person it's not going to make you go out and kill people or be a "training tool that teaches you how to shoot" (in Jack Thompson's twisted words) if you act upon what you saw in a game, IMO, that person was screwed up long before they ever saw the game.

Parents really need to get involved with their kids these days, and stop blaming the video game makers for problems because ultimately, it's up to them what their kids play in their own home.

"A gladiator does not fear death. He embraces it. Caresses it. Fucks it. Every time he enters the arena, he slides his cock into the mouth of the beast."
Dafones

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 18, 2006, 03:01:10 PM »

Parents are just scared shitless of the thought of having to actually know what their kids are up to. "I have to be aware of what my child is doing all day? But that's, like ... all day!" It's easier to blame someone else than to take responsibility for your own kids.

That's why it's cool that Cleric is wary of the game. Maybe you should be. Though apparently the bullying element is more of an issue in the media than it is as actual gameplay. From Gamespy's review (my bolds):

Interestingly, the title of the game has less to do with bullying and more to do with a play on the name of the school. Bully essentially puts players in the role of a likeable young hero, not quite as Machiavellian as the characters that players have taken control of in GTA titles. He's basically that kid that everyone knew better than to mess with in high school who'd stick up for someone weaker, and would throw down when threatened. He wasn't a raging psycho who randomly brutalized people, but if you started something with him, you'd end up with a lumpy face and a bruised ego. Part of what makes the Jimmy character so likeable is that he's not a Tommy Vercetti out for revenge, and he's not a reluctant anti-hero like CJ. He's a decent kid stuck in a bad situation, and he's forced to fend for himself. Perhaps the European title of Canis Canem Edit (Dog Eat Dog) is a more apt way to describe the overall feeling of playing the game.

If you let your kid play it, you just gotta make sure he or she understands that this is a video game, and not real life. Just like movies evolved past family fun like Singin' in the Rain and The Wizard of Oz, video games have gone well past Super Mario Bros. We all know this argument ... I guess I'm just surprised how many parents are shocked at some of the themes and situations found in the innocent lil' video games they bought their kids. 'Cause the kids sure as hell knew what's in 'em.

And totally besides the game, good parents should be talking to their kids about bullying anyway.

Now Playing: GTA - San Andreas [PS2]
Yoshi's Island DS [DS]
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 18, 2006, 03:08:18 PM »

I think part of the concern here is that Bully has a Teen rating.  This isn't like GTA where it's like "WTF were you doing buying your 11 year old an M-rated game??!?".  To parents that are largely ignorant of the game and how it plays (ie most of them) that instead rely on ratings, many probably wouldn't have an issue letting their child play a T-rated game.  And further, do stores even do any sort of checks on T games to begin with at point of sale?

I haven't played it or anything (waiting on the TRU sale) but I do think it's valid to consider that the potential message of a game that allows you the complete freedom to act how you want to might not have been considered the way the ESRB does their ratings system. 
rrmorton

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 18, 2006, 03:32:30 PM »

Yeah, games like Bully are probably slowly but surely corrupting our youth and society in general, but so is alcohol, cholesterol, pornography, reality TV, the internet, Hollywood, fast food, sugar cereal, rap music, religion, drugs, and on, and on, and on. I vote we all just have fun until we die then let future generations sort out the whole mess.

I just gave Bully a test run and so far I like what I see. Like Cleric, I too am sick of the open-ended promise of the GTA revolution constantly re-doing gangstas in the hood so I see Bully as a fresh change of pace. And so far (only about 90 minutes in) it's lived up to its excellent premise and setting plus it's pretty damn funny. (I just wish it was on the Xbox 360 or PC so it could look better.)
« Last Edit: October 18, 2006, 03:39:28 PM by rrmorton » Logged
TC Weidner
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile WWW
« Reply #37 on: October 18, 2006, 07:27:31 PM »

I must admit however, ever since the 80's I have an uncontrollable urge to jump on turtles and punch boxes with the hopes of mushrooms appearing  Tongue
Rubyeye
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 18, 2006, 07:33:11 PM »

I got about 45 minutes into Bully last night.  As with the others, I am enjoying the game.  I am really looking forward to getting out of the tutorials.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2006, 08:46:12 PM by Rubyeye » Logged

omgz
Nth Power

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: October 18, 2006, 08:17:54 PM »

You can pretty much act however you choose, although you have a respect with each group that can go higher or lower depending on what tasks you do.  For example, I finished a task where I have to escort someone from the "nerd" group to his locker (more fun than it sounds).  At the end, my rep raised with the nerds and lowered with the bullies.  The bullies are always looking to start a fight anyways it seems.  Heh, no surprise there.

So while I can't speak for later tasks, the early one's seem to be more with helping people or relatively harmless pranks (shooting jocks with an in-game slingshot, harmless? You decide).  You are also encouraged to go to classes and do well.  By completing class successfully it unlocks new abilities for Jimmy and skipping class has the prefects out for you as you are truant.
The parts where you can create the most trouble seem to be in the open gameplay, so there may be people that could be offended by the options available.  You are able to goose and shove girls, punch people and generally be a nuisance if you so choose.  I'm not sure if this has any direct effect on you standing with the groups, but so far it seems like it doesn't really do anything except to get the prefects after you.  It reminds me of the context based conversation system in Fable where the people would react to favorable or unfavorable things you did. 

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: