http://gamingtrend.com
April 21, 2014, 09:48:13 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Bugbear's Next Car Game  (Read 1226 times)
EngineNo9
Gaming Trend Senior Member

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #40 on: November 14, 2013, 04:59:29 PM »

They've released the first gameplay video showing some footage of them playing with a wheel and pedals from the dash cam view.  There are also several screenshots on the Kickstarter update page.

Oh, and since we didn't post about it, they also released a retro prototype download of their racing and physics from 10 years ago, back before the first FlatOut game in the previous KS update

I'm pretty bummed about the lack of progress for their Kickstarter, but I kind of expected it when they had already gotten their most hardcore fans to preorder directly earlier.

Sandwiches do fix everything.
kronovan

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: November 15, 2013, 02:53:03 AM »

Nice - looking good!  thumbsup
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #42 on: November 22, 2013, 04:41:23 PM »

Well, the bad news is that they've cancelled the Kickstarter.  After a good start it just slowed down way too much.

The good news is that the preorders are back up at their site (http://nextcargame.com/) and they have released the technology demo for anybody who has preordered previously or does now.  Here's a sneak peak video of what's in that destruction playground.

EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #43 on: December 21, 2013, 06:01:26 PM »

They've just send emails with Steam keys for Early Access!  Woohoo!   drool  I think for now it's still only on sale exclusively through their site, but you get a Steam key after buying there.

Downloading now and then I'll give it a whirl with impressions later. 

Oh, and I guess I forgot to give impressions of their Technology Demo 2.0, which was even much more impressive than the first version of that.  I had lots of fun just tooling around, destroying things and getting crushed by physics objects.

EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #44 on: December 24, 2013, 01:11:27 AM »

I forgot to come back and post impressions of the early access. 

There are two cars available and they are both RWD.  One is in a classic American muscle car, and the other in the style of an older European hatchback.  They both look good, sound good and crumple with the best. 

The driving is classic Bugbear drifting heavy cars, and you can tune it a bit to remove Traction Control, Spin Control and ABS.  There are none of the promised garage elements with upgrading parts, repairing, progression or any of that available yet. 

There are two tracks (one gravel, one tarmac) and one derby stadium available.  You can play either of the races with 24, 12 or 2 cars, and the derby with 12 or 24.  The tracks are pretty sparse still and clearly missing a lot of destructible decoration and buildings, but they look decent. 

One thing that FlatOut fans will notice missing is the boost bar.  This is a more serious game so that arcade aspect of smashing into things to build up boost is gone.

TLDR: it's definitely early days but fans are sure to have fun [for a little bit].  I can't wait to see this fully fleshed out!   thumbsup

hitbyambulance

View Profile WWW
« Reply #45 on: January 09, 2014, 04:01:06 AM »

i am having fun with the early access demo. handles, feels, looks and sounds good. the physics are pretty nice. i apparently can't steer worth anything, tho.
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #46 on: January 09, 2014, 07:09:07 PM »

Quote from: hitbyambulance on January 09, 2014, 04:01:06 AM

i am having fun with the early access demo. handles, feels, looks and sounds good. the physics are pretty nice. i apparently can't steer worth anything, tho.

Cool, glad to hear it!

Bugbear has said that the number of backers has more than doubled since they released this early access demo, and they have now surpassed their goal for the failed Kickstarter by quite a margin.   thumbsup

EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #47 on: January 16, 2014, 01:57:42 AM »

Well, the game is now officially available on Steam Early Access in the store.  To celebrate I guess they released a patch/update as well.

Patch notes (nothing too huge):

Spoiler for Hiden:
Here are the most important changes:

- Implemented iterative engine component damage + related HUD visuals.
- Fixed damage direction deduction so that damage is allocated correctly.
- Fixed position counter so that the player cannot be further back than the last.
- Changed the position counter to always show the number of cars that started.
- Removed player kill areas from environments.
- Reduced arm-co friction and wooden fence mass.
- Implemented environment geometry fixes and polishing.
- Implemented lighting tweaks, and added lens flares.
- Implemented constant vertical FOV to support widescreen resolutions.
- Fixed user interface bugs and added general polish.
- Fixed a couple of minor audio issues.
- Improved general build stability.

EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #48 on: February 17, 2014, 09:28:56 PM »

Bugbear put out a patch on Saturday that has added some more things.  Full notes below, but basically they added another car (American Sedan circa '74), a figure-8 track, reverse modes on all tracks, more parts for cars and bunches of smaller changes.

Spoiler for Hiden:
Tracks:
* New Figure 8 derby race event.
* All race tracks now have a reverse layout as well.
* Lap and AI counts are now fully customizable for each event.
* Tarmac track: start area rehauled, tarmac textures reworked, last sector redecorated.
* Gravel track: textures reworked, track surface visuals updated.
* New birches for both tarmac and gravel track.
* General polishing and bug fixing.

Weathers:
* Three new weathers: bright day, cold morning and warm sunset.
* A random weather is selected to an event at startup.

Dynamic environment objects:
* Tire stacks now have more weight to them for added realism.
* Reduced concrete barrier friction to prevent the car from spinning.

Vehicles & Upgrading:
* New car: American Sedan (no high detail dashboard yet).
* Steering wheels now rotate in cockpit camera.
* Texture/model improvements and bug fixes.
* Increased European hatchback engine power.
* Reworked European hatchback handling.
* New engine backfire effect.
* Improved differential simulation.
* New gearbox, drivetrain, suspension and brake upgrade parts.
* New paint jobs for cars to choose from.
* Driving model improvements.

Driving assists:
* Assists now have three levels of strength: ‘Off’, ‘Half’ and ‘Full’, with ‘Off’ and ‘Half’ being the same as earlier ‘Off’ and ‘On’ and ‘Full’ offering an even more assisted driving experience.

Cameras:
* New screenshot camera mode with zoom factor and yaw, pitch and roll parameters, designed for taking screenshots with free camera and hidden HUD. In the screenshot mode, it’s possible to rotate the camera as well as adjust the field-of-view, and by accessing Effect Mode, you can adjust the Depth-of-Field (DOF) parameters to your liking. There’s no dedicated button for taking a screenshot yet, so you need to use an external application or PrintScreen button.
* Brought back spherical camera from the technology demo, it’s available only in camera mode at least for now.
* Implemented another chase camera further back according to the feedback.
* Tweaked European hatchback chase camera.

Damage:
* Fixed engine component damage calculation in HUD so that the engine icon will better represent the actual damage.
* Removed red damage direction indicators from HUD based on a general request.
* Fixed an issue with gameplay damage not being calculated correctly when near death.
* Further balancing of gameplay damage and visual damage – a completely reworked system will be introduced in the future.

Garage:
* Reworked many textures.
* Added some nice decorative elements.
* Tweaked interior and yard decoration.
* Tweaked lighting.

Gameplay:
* Derby AI: tactical reverse mode now considers engine location more efficiently.
* Removed speed sensitive steering when using a steering wheel.
* Implemented further balancing tweaks to AI profiles and handling.
* Implemented start position randomization (for player as well).

User interface:
* Binding the Logitech G27 button 7 etc. will no longer result in exiting the settings menu.
* Loading screen will now show a background based on the event you’re playing instead of a generic one.
* Game is now paused and input suspended while Steam overlay is active.

Input:
* DirectInput gamepads should now work and are also remappable.
* Improved controller settings to reduce steering lag.

Render:
* Fixed a bug where VSync was not able to recover back to 60 fps when temporarily dipping to 30 fps.

Audio:
* Engine damage sound effect is now linked to actual engine damage instead of car health.

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: