http://gamingtrend.com
September 02, 2014, 12:05:16 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Budget Games: Wings of War  (Read 2719 times)
Driver
Gaming Trend Moderator
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile WWW
« on: September 01, 2004, 04:52:58 AM »

I took the plunge on two cheap titles today: Sphinx and the Cursed Mummy, which I've wanted to play and now it's like $12, and another title I haven't heard much about: Wings of War.

When Wings of War shows up I'll post some impressions.  If it's as good as the budget title PowerDrome, I'll be pretty pleased.  Anyone else picking it up? Or even heard of it?

Nth Power

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2004, 11:00:46 AM »

I've heard absolutely nothing about WoW, who's acronym could easily be mistaken for another more popular WoW.  
What platform is Wings for?

Now Sphinx and Cursed Mummy I've heard of.  Unfortunately, It's still sitting on my shelf waiting to be played.

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities" -Voltaire
XBL gamertag: NthPowr
Driver
Gaming Trend Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2004, 11:39:46 AM »

Xbox and PC
Eco-Logic
Gaming Trend Member

Gamertag: St0ckBroker

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2004, 02:29:43 PM »

The graphics are quiet good.  I'm looking forward to reading your impressions.

This signature is intentional, ie not a mistake.  If you thing Rick Perry should be forced to resign for this crap, you're part of the problem with our country.  Give me a freaking break.
AgtFox

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2004, 02:39:56 PM »

There is a review at 3DAvenue that gave the game a 65.

Xbox Live: AgtFox
Driver
Gaming Trend Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2004, 03:47:43 PM »

Yeah, the reviews at Gamerankings hoover in the Sixties.  But somebody has to give it a shot, and I'm happy to.  Secret Weapons over JarJar was the other option, but since neither is on Live, I though it would be fun to try something new.

This link has some game-specific info:
http://www.gathering.com/game.php?game=g4125361f3940c

Ahe here's a review that gives it 3.5/5:
http://www.gameplanet.co.nz/mag.dyn/Reviews/2791.html
Thin_J

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2004, 07:11:45 PM »

Well it definitely looks impressive for a budget title. Let us know what you think.

Xbox Live: Thin J
PSN: Thin_J
jimmyorr99

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2004, 09:34:52 PM »

Seriously, report back, this game looks really good for a loq-budget. Possibly a sleeper hit.

if you strike me down, i will become more powerful than you can ever imagine.
Driver
Gaming Trend Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2004, 12:04:28 AM »

Well, it shipped.  I'll let you all know when it shows up.
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2004, 02:51:51 AM »

All those reviews in the sixties actually seem to like the game a lot more than the score suggests, if you read through them.  Although the jackass at 3D Avenue seems to think bi-planes were used in the Second World War, so I don't know how much you want to trust him.

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
Driver
Gaming Trend Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: September 02, 2004, 03:38:28 AM »

Trailer
http://media.xbox.ign.com/media/693/693334/vids_1.html

And another 70% review:
http://www.etoychest.org/content.php?review.495
stiffler

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: September 02, 2004, 11:33:15 PM »

Quote from: "Bullwinkle"
Although the jackass at 3D Avenue seems to think bi-planes were used in the Second World War, so I don't know how much you want to trust him.

They did use biplanes in WWII.  The British used them (specifically, the Fairey Swordfish torpedo bomber) quite effectively.  The Swordfish is credited with sinking the Bismarck as well as most of the Italian fleet.

And now I am just being a jackass for pointing that out.

Xbox Live Gamertag: cstiffler
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 03, 2004, 02:33:16 AM »

Actually, no.  You're not a jackass.  I merely phrased my lambasting incorrectly.  The jackass thought the game was set in World War II.  Sorry.

Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 03, 2004, 02:33:27 AM »

What are you talking about?

stiffler

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: September 03, 2004, 02:39:06 AM »

Are you asking yourself what you are talking about?

me = confused (but apparently not as confused as you)

Xbox Live Gamertag: cstiffler
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 03, 2004, 02:52:38 AM »

That was actually my attempt to make a multi-layered joke on the GG forums.  Missed all around, I'm proud to say.

Driver
Gaming Trend Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: September 04, 2004, 02:10:45 PM »

Wings of War arrived last night and I've played about two hours total, both in the campaign and Instant Action.  There is no multiplayer - Instant Action is either you against up to 10 bots, or your ten man/bot team against another ten bot team in Team Deathmatch.

Anyway, I think this game really is a pleasant suprise, and though it doesn't have Live, I think the single player game is more enjoyable than the single player game of Crimson Skies in terms of action and combat.  For one, there is a ton of stuff going on at once - you have your mission paramters (and there are about 7-10 goals per mission), you have a constant onslaught of enemy planes, you have bonus missions that unlock missiles(?!), health packs, secondary ammo (there is no limit on primary ammo, but you can set the guns to overheat).   Another plus is that I felt some of the missions in Crimson skies were a bit too rigid in time parameters or objectives (i.e. stunts).  Here there are time-based objectives, but those that aren't, and aren't protection missions, pretty much free up the map for you to explore, dogfight, and just enjoy yourself.

The menus are well done - there is a hangar which lets you see all the planes, and as you complete single player stages you unlock these planes for Instant Action.  There are about 30 planes total, I'm guessing, and each plane has maybe 1-10 camoflage patterns (which unlock with the plane).  The paint jobs aren't as useful as they might be on the PC version where you do have multiplayer, but there are some cool planes and patterns.  

Your player file tracks score, time played, accuracy, and types and numbers of targets destroyed.  You can also earn medals based on points earns and number of targets destroyed - the manual explains this in more detail.  There is a High Score table that you can climb as you progress.

What I really enjoy is that during the single player campaign, the weather and time change (though I haven't yet seen a mission at night, if there are any), and the graphics, while nothing near as good as Crimson Skies, are actually all right -- you can fly low and see buildings, farm, moving vehicles, trees, trains, ships, etc.  And low to the ground are where the bonus missions hang out.  Your plane and the others distentigrate when shot at, and I've seen a few dead planes sticking out of the ground as I passed over.  Unlike Crimson Skies, you can shoot down the parachutes of pilots who have bailed from their planes.  They even give a little scream after you do so.  Very fun.

The game is also fairly customizable in that you can set the flow of the camera behind your plane - either making it very rigid, or a looser "follow cam" as in Crimson Skies.  You can decide if your guns overheat, how you control your plane (3 different setups), where you want manual contol over throttle.  You can set your crosshairs to a color/style you like.

A nice tidbit, before I forget, is that you control takeoff and landing your plane as well, though that's a bit trickier.

I also think I prefer the open, more realistic environments over those of Crimson Skies.  The first PC-based Crimson Skies was a lot more 'realistic' in its environments, I think, but this game goes for a nice, loose reproduction of WWI - I think too that the planes being a bit older adds some character.

I've had the game on while typing this and Demo mode just kicked in - UK biplanes against a German zeppelin.  I really like that this game is similar to Crimson Skies, but more stright-faced -- the downside is that I have yet to encounter any real story, but I do like the pick-up-and-play style, and I can't wait to hit those Zeppelins.

So, for twenty bucks I'm very pleased.  I think if you enjoyed Crimson Skies and want to try something different, give this a rent or go for the cheap pick-up.  I am a big fan of games that don't require me to care much about them - waiting for save points, or needing to obsess over a level.  I like to sit down, play for a while, and then go about the day.  This is a great game that meets that sort of play style, and the sheer number of objectives, bonuses, and enemy planes makes this fun without the headache of completion that bugged me about Crimson Skies.

One caveat: it takes a while to learn the controls.  It does not share the MS Halo/Crimson Skies control scheme, but there are three sets of controls to choose from and I've found "C" is the best for me.  I do miss CS' many trick maneuvers - but these planes do feel more brittle.

Hope these impressions are helpful. Wings of War gets a Thumbs up from me!
Driver
Gaming Trend Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: September 10, 2004, 06:52:49 PM »

Gamespot sez 7.4.  I'm still having a lot of fun with it.  biggrin
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: