http://gamingtrend.com
November 23, 2014, 04:16:21 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Brothers in Arms Hell's Highway  (Read 5959 times)
kratz
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: September 08, 2008, 05:50:27 PM »

Anyone else excited about this one?  I'm thinking it looks pretty good.  I enjoyed the other two games quite a bit.
Booner

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2008, 06:11:48 PM »

Yep....ready for it.
VWBug
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2008, 09:43:04 PM »

I'm definitely looking forward to this one.  I hope the weapons are more like the Call of Duty games.  Getting a kill was always harder with the Brothers in Arms games - getting killed was easier.  It just didn't seem "realistic" trying to get a kill after seemingly shooting someone multiple times.

The preview videos look great with the damage models on just about everything.

VWBug
Jeff
Special Project Group

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2008, 03:19:17 AM »

I'm very interested, but this thing has been massively delayed. I hope that doesn't translate to problems. I'll have my eye on it and pick it if the reviews and feedback are positive.

kratz

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2008, 07:31:20 PM »

I wasn't aware of any delays?

EDIT: Huh... checked the news... yeah, delayed about a year.

The other games were good enough that I doubt this was delayed because it sucked, but because it wasn't ready.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2008, 07:33:07 PM by kratz » Logged
kratz

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2008, 05:56:49 PM »

Quote from: VWBug on September 08, 2008, 09:43:04 PM

I'm definitely looking forward to this one.  I hope the weapons are more like the Call of Duty games.  Getting a kill was always harder with the Brothers in Arms games - getting killed was easier.  It just didn't seem "realistic" trying to get a kill after seemingly shooting someone multiple times.

The preview videos look great with the damage models on just about everything.

VWBug

Been reading some previews/watching some videos and I saw some stuff about how they made your character more powerful, and more traditional shooter style.  They had made you sort of borked in previous games so that you would be forced to use your squad, but decided that it was better to have the shooter elements be less difficult and just make your squad so awesome that you want to use them more.
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2008, 10:19:26 PM »

I've been more keen on the 6 fully articulated Action Figures with 13 Accessories in the collector's edition (though I doubt it's anything spectacular in quality):

Brother's in Arms: Hell's Highway Limited Edition
http://enewsi.com/games/index.php?itemid=25549

Limited Edition image
http://ig.enewsi.com/g/image.php?aid=25549&mode=view&album=Ubisoft%2FBrothers_In_Arms_Hells_Highway&pic=0.jpg&dispsize=600&start=0

While I played the original game, I never really got all that competent at it. I especially had a hard time dealing with German mortar and artillery. I seem to recall getting stuck on a mission dealing with that, and never getting past it.

I'm probably most interested in the destructible environments, and supposedly more wide-open environments. The original suffered a bit from "funneling you down aisles" design, and I know some military shooter buds of mine were turned off by that and wanted more open environments and less linearity.

From about Medal of Honor: Allied Assault through COD4 I was a military shooter nut, but I've really lost interest in the whole genre. I'll keep an eye out for this though.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2008, 10:21:21 PM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
-Wasteland 2 (post-apoc, turn-based squad strategy/RPG )
-Grim Dawn
-Gauntlet (4 player co-op dungeon arcade brawling)
kratz

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2008, 11:04:19 PM »

Six INCH fully articulated action figure.
kratz

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2008, 11:08:17 PM »

Looks like pre-ordering from EB gets you two extra action figures.

That's gotta be one of the coolest includes for an LE I've seen... cool enough I just pre-ordered like a dumbass.

http://www.ebgames.com/Catalog/productDetails.aspx?sku=647396

madpeon
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2008, 11:34:22 PM »

FYI, those appear to be ingame models (multiplayer maybe?). The only action figure included is the Matt Baker one.
Jeff
Special Project Group

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 11, 2008, 01:28:02 AM »

Quote from: madpeon on September 10, 2008, 11:34:22 PM

FYI, those appear to be ingame models (multiplayer maybe?). The only action figure included is the Matt Baker one.

Damn, that is a VERY deceiving ploy by Gamestop making it appear as though you get 2 extra action figures with a pre-order from them. They call them "models" and when you click the picture, they are cut away from any back drop (white background) making them appear to be action figures. I honestly thought that's what they were until madpeon pointed it out.

kratz

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 11, 2008, 04:16:01 AM »

Damn... you are right...  I also thought 'those look way better than the other one'.

Pre order canceled... I'll just get the regular edition and save my extra money for a fallout lunchbox. smile

I started replaying Earned in Blood today... fun stuff, but the new one looks like it'll be a lot easier on the eyes.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2008, 04:18:00 AM by kratz » Logged
kratz

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 11, 2008, 02:40:38 PM »

Some thoughts...

As mentioned, I was playing Earned in Blood last night, and I had two main things I wished were different:

1. That I could shoot more shooter like.
2. That I could use cover like my men did.

Looks like these are both changes in the new version.  Stoked.
Jeff
Special Project Group

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 12, 2008, 04:33:19 PM »

I saw some more videos of Hell's Highway, and it looks pretty incredible.

For what it's worth, Direct2Drive is offering Road to Hill 30 as a free download (immediate) if you pre-order Hell's Highway through them.
kratz

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 12, 2008, 05:30:38 PM »

Steam as well.  Don't know about immediate, but...

I got a mod for earned in blood that makes the guns more accurate, and it's better...
Jeff
Special Project Group

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 15, 2008, 01:49:15 PM »

holy crap,

Watch this video!

The gore system is something I've been dreaming about since my earliest days of gaming. Finally, grenades will have a realistic effect on the body  icon_eek

I ran to pre-order after seeing this video, and this game has jumped to near the top of my most anticipated list.
MonkeyFinger

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 15, 2008, 02:00:35 PM »

It's very cool and the game is definitely on my list, but I'm not sure "realistic" is the best word. I liked how they described the gore system - "brutal".  icon_wink

-craig

PSx: MonkeyFinger
XBx: MonkeyPhinger
Jeff
Special Project Group

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 15, 2008, 02:09:19 PM »

Quote from: MonkeyFinger on September 15, 2008, 02:00:35 PM

It's very cool and the game is definitely on my list, but I'm not sure "realistic" is the best word. I liked how they described the gore system - "brutal".  icon_wink

Well, relatively realistic then smile I mean, most games we have rag-dolls flying around, but no dismemberment or blood, and that's always seemed a bit goofy to me. This will portray something closer to what a real soldier might have seen in combat.
kratz

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 15, 2008, 03:53:43 PM »

Eh, I think they want you to think that, but I don't think hand grenades tend to do much in the way of dismemberment... the fragments just aren't big enough.  This has hand grenades splitting people in half...

Definitely kind of contradiction there between their stated desire for the combat to be brutal and realistic and unpleasant to make you think war sucks and revelry in the violence and gore.  They should just go with 'people getting blown apart in an video game is cool'.  I'd buy that.
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: September 15, 2008, 07:37:26 PM »

I'm waiting on an HD version of that video, as well as a behind the scenes, but you'll be happy to know that the PS3 and 360 versions went gold - the PC version will be right behind it.

In the mean time, check out our interview with Col. Antell! 
http://www.gamingtrend.com/News/news.php?NewsID=12480

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: September 16, 2008, 12:50:48 AM »

Quote from: kratz on September 15, 2008, 03:53:43 PM

Eh, I think they want you to think that, but I don't think hand grenades tend to do much in the way of dismemberment... the fragments just aren't big enough.  This has hand grenades splitting people in half...

Definitely kind of contradiction there between their stated desire for the combat to be brutal and realistic and unpleasant to make you think war sucks and revelry in the violence and gore.  They should just go with 'people getting blown apart in an video game is cool'.  I'd buy that.

I'm not a weapons expert, or even a fan, but I did research WW2 weapons for an RPG and a common thing that came up with the American fragmentation grenade of the time (the Pineapple) was that its shrapnel tended to be big and heavy chunks due to the way the shell around the explosive was designed (the metal would break apart along those creases, sending out those large square metal shards).  A common problem they had was American grenade shrapnel punching through the flimsy European house walls and injuring fellow soldiers.  I don't know if those chunks were big enough to cause the kind of damage seen.

However, I never thought of the BiA series as any way realistic, but it errs on the plausible side of war movie realism.
Jeff
Special Project Group

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 16, 2008, 01:38:33 AM »

Quote from: Turtle on September 16, 2008, 12:50:48 AM

I'm not a weapons expert, or even a fan, but I did research WW2 weapons for an RPG and a common thing that came up with the American fragmentation grenade of the time (the Pineapple) was that its shrapnel tended to be big and heavy chunks due to the way the shell around the explosive was designed (the metal would break apart along those creases, sending out those large square metal shards).  A common problem they had was American grenade shrapnel punching through the flimsy European house walls and injuring fellow soldiers.  I don't know if those chunks were big enough to cause the kind of damage seen.

However, I never thought of the BiA series as any way realistic, but it errs on the plausible side of war movie realism.

I would think that standing fairly near the blast location could indeed blow off limbs and possibly divide someone in two. I never meant to indicate that the game was super-realistic, I just meant it was far more realistic that what we're used to seeing in Medal of Honor, Call of Duty, etc, where grenades send rag-dolls flying but no dismemberment or blood, which I always thought reduced the immersion somewhat.
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: September 16, 2008, 02:47:34 AM »

On a less morbid note.  The game went gold as per the front page, due later this month!

This is one of my most anticipated games and I hope they included a more detailed co-op mode.  If not, my friends and I still have tons of fun with the adversarial multiplayer aspect with its mix of tactics and shooting, it used to be a big staple of our Xbox1 lan parties despite only allowing 4 players (2v2).
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: September 16, 2008, 01:25:47 PM »

Quote from: Turtle on September 16, 2008, 02:47:34 AM

On a less morbid note.  The game went gold as per the front page, due later this month!

This is one of my most anticipated games and I hope they included a more detailed co-op mode.  If not, my friends and I still have tons of fun with the adversarial multiplayer aspect with its mix of tactics and shooting, it used to be a big staple of our Xbox1 lan parties despite only allowing 4 players (2v2).

I've got an early review copy coming.  It's for the PS3, but it should help you PC folks make up your minds on the title before you have to lay your money on the line.

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
kratz

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 17, 2008, 05:11:20 PM »

Bah, Blues News says the PC version is pushed back to Sept. 30/Oct. 1.

Boo.

Oh well, more time to play NHL 09.
Jeff
Special Project Group

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 17, 2008, 08:55:54 PM »

Quote from: kratz on September 17, 2008, 05:11:20 PM

Bah, Blues News says the PC version is pushed back to Sept. 30/Oct. 1.

Boo.

I thought that's what it was all along? Amazon has had it at that date for weeks now.
kratz

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 17, 2008, 09:24:15 PM »

They were all the same date originally.
Godzilla Blitz

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 20, 2008, 04:54:18 AM »

It's funny, I just found two of the previous Brothers in Arms games at Half Price Books last night for a few bucks each. I hadn't paid much attention to the series before that.

That video looks great. There are still a few things that looked a bit goofy with squad movements, but overall very impressive. I'm going to try the other two first, but this looks like a lot of fun.

Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: September 20, 2008, 05:40:18 AM »

One of the main issues with BiA1 and BiA:EAB was the linearity of the levels.  We're talking Gears of War level linearity.  In a game with so many troops around along with being squad based, it gets a bit silly how tight and close in the spaces are.  At points, it gets almost puzzle-like in the way things are setup, especially with the AI so passive.  Otherwise, it's still a fun game and hopefully HH addresses those concerns.  From the videos I've seen, the AI looks a helluva lot more aggressive, or at least responsive, to player movements.  In prior games enemies rarely moved positions unless directly threatened, in the HH videos I saw plenty of instances where enemies moved to cover new zones before they were threatened from them.
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: September 20, 2008, 07:50:48 AM »

I just got the most recent issue of OXM and they reviewed this giving it a 9.0.  The main complaints were some enemy and friendly squad AI glitches, lack of save anywhere, a cover system that is too "sticky" and no co-op. 
« Last Edit: September 20, 2008, 02:55:54 PM by EngineNo9 » Logged

Sandwiches do fix everything.
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: September 20, 2008, 08:40:46 AM »

No co-op = off my must buy list.  I'll probably pick it up if others here are interested in the MP and want a teammate, or when it drops in price.
kratz

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 26, 2008, 04:29:12 PM »

This is now delayed to Oct. 7th.

Sheesh.

I read the gamespot review... I'm still in.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: