http://gamingtrend.com
September 17, 2014, 10:10:00 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:
 
   Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Brothers in Arms: Earned in Blood Demo!  (Read 1018 times)
0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Calvin
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Offline Offline

Posts: 13895

President of G.R.O.S.S.


View Profile
« on: September 21, 2005, 08:00:28 PM »

I was not aware that we were even getting a demo of this before release, so this is just a fantastic suprise. Brothers in Arms was one of my favorite games of this last year, but I felt it had a lot of room for improvement with its FPS aspects. So anyways, once again linking to FS:

BIA Earned in Blood demo at Fileshack

This Brothers in Arms: Earned in Blood demo includes one singleplayer mission and one skirmish map which you can play in single- or mutiplayer mode (LAN only though).

Would love to play the mission co-op later tonight if anyone is up for it.
Logged
CrayolaSmoker
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Offline Offline

Posts: 3614

Sponge Bath Slut


View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2005, 11:09:07 PM »

Ya know, one of my hawt nursing school classmates has a brother that's a big player in the Brothers in Arms series.  She's goin' to the release party Thursday night.  Unfortunately, it was too late to put a date on the guest list.  :cry:
Logged

Wii: 1429 3414 0674 4114 | 360: CrayolaSmokerGT
smokingcrayolas.net | surrogacy blog
Dreamshadow
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Offline Offline

Posts: 3038


View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2005, 03:57:09 AM »

Dont' worry,  I'll be there to tell you how it was! smile


I'm downloading the demo now.
Logged

Tom "Dreamshadow" Tjarks
Aunt Wu: Care to hear your fortune, handsome?
Iroh: At my age there is really only one big surprise left, and I'd just as soon leave it a mystery.
Calvin
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Offline Offline

Posts: 13895

President of G.R.O.S.S.


View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2005, 04:01:44 AM »

Quote from: "Dreamshadow"
Dont' worry,  I'll be there to tell you how it was! smile


I'm downloading the demo now.


Oooh I am jealous. I haven't had time to try it yet unfortunately.
Logged
Dreamshadow
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Offline Offline

Posts: 3038


View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2005, 12:16:47 PM »

Argh....starforce!
Logged

Tom "Dreamshadow" Tjarks
Aunt Wu: Care to hear your fortune, handsome?
Iroh: At my age there is really only one big surprise left, and I'd just as soon leave it a mystery.
Calvin
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Offline Offline

Posts: 13895

President of G.R.O.S.S.


View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2005, 06:54:20 AM »

OK!! I finally got a chance to play this. Early impressions are very favorable-keep in mind I only played the skirmish so as not to spoil the story mode for later. Impressions:

Graphics: Still bloom heavy (I mean really heavy). A little choppy turned up with AA and AF, but still very nice looking-some cleaned up textures.

Controls: Still a bit clunky, and the mouse sensitivity options still suck-I would like my mouse to be about twice as sensitive.

AI: Improved-its actually quite a bit improved in the skirmish, it took me maybe 5 tries to beat it on intermediate difficulty. THe enemy are better aim, and don't abandon manned positions as easily.

Overall: Impressed-an incremental step up from BiA:RTH30 from what I have seen, but the simple inclusion of that skirmish mode is going to really make EiB a whole other ballgame here, and provide a ton of replayability and fun-from the looks of the one mission offered there will be lots of neat variations on defend/attack/kill lots of enemies etc in each skirmish map-kind of like the way old Ghost Recon on PC did.

With a full fledged campaign said to be as long as RTH30 and some familiar characters and the same quality voice acting, etc., I have absolutely no reason to think the SP campaign won't be awesome. The game is still tactical/puzzley-and the FPC action elements still are somewhat unrefined, but if you liked the first I think you will like this one more. I am not sure this a day 1 purchase for me, but it might be a "buy as soon as it hits 40$ purchase".
Logged
Dreamshadow
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Offline Offline

Posts: 3038


View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2005, 02:06:23 PM »

Quote from: "Calvin"
OK!! I finally got a chance to play this. Early impressions are very favorable-keep in mind I only played the skirmish so as not to spoil the story mode for later. Impressions:

Graphics: Still bloom heavy (I mean really heavy). A little choppy turned up with AA and AF, but still very nice looking-some cleaned up textures.

Controls: Still a bit clunky, and the mouse sensitivity options still suck-I would like my mouse to be about twice as sensitive.

AI: Improved-its actually quite a bit improved in the skirmish, it took me maybe 5 tries to beat it on intermediate difficulty. THe enemy are better aim, and don't abandon manned positions as easily.

Overall: Impressed-an incremental step up from BiA:RTH30 from what I have seen, but the simple inclusion of that skirmish mode is going to really make EiB a whole other ballgame here, and provide a ton of replayability and fun-from the looks of the one mission offered there will be lots of neat variations on defend/attack/kill lots of enemies etc in each skirmish map-kind of like the way old Ghost Recon on PC did.

With a full fledged campaign said to be as long as RTH30 and some familiar characters and the same quality voice acting, etc., I have absolutely no reason to think the SP campaign won't be awesome. The game is still tactical/puzzley-and the FPC action elements still are somewhat unrefined, but if you liked the first I think you will like this one more. I am not sure this a day 1 purchase for me, but it might be a "buy as soon as it hits 40$ purchase".


The skirmish mode is what might just sell me on this one.  Why?  It's multiplayer. smile  I have some friends that really like objective based gameplay like that (See our hours spent on Ghost Recon and Rainbow Six 3).  I found that I actually like this game with the crosshair turned off.  It enhances the WWII feel of the game.  

You mentioned the bloom in the game...On my Radeon Mobility 9700, when I didn't have everything maxed out, there was some to no bloom.  When I turned up the details, the bloom appeared.  

I still haven't beaten the skirmish mission, mostly because I'm still learning to shoot without a crosshair (iron sights..yay!) but the repeated attempts are not frustrating me.  This is what I consider a good thing.
Logged

Tom "Dreamshadow" Tjarks
Aunt Wu: Care to hear your fortune, handsome?
Iroh: At my age there is really only one big surprise left, and I'd just as soon leave it a mystery.
Calvin
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Offline Offline

Posts: 13895

President of G.R.O.S.S.


View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2005, 07:50:53 PM »

I played the skirmish the first time with supression and crosshairs turned on. Why Calvin, you big pussy, you might ask? Well because I played the entire first game through the authentic way and had no idea how those features worked!! smile

So today I am going to replay it authentic style and see how it goes. Its not a hard mission outside of one tough area Dreamshadow, let me know if you need a kick in the right direction. there is a particular puzzle element there that is annoying.
Logged
CrayolaSmoker
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Offline Offline

Posts: 3614

Sponge Bath Slut


View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2005, 09:26:17 PM »

Quote from: "Dreamshadow"
Dont' worry,  I'll be there to tell you how it was! smile


/em taps foot impatiently

 :wink:
Logged

Wii: 1429 3414 0674 4114 | 360: CrayolaSmokerGT
smokingcrayolas.net | surrogacy blog
Turtle
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Offline Offline

Posts: 9364



View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2005, 09:29:11 PM »

I hear this demo has multiplayer, has anyone tried it yet?

I also heard they would include COOP in this one, a feature sorely lacking from the original.
Logged
Calvin
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Offline Offline

Posts: 13895

President of G.R.O.S.S.


View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 23, 2005, 11:25:55 PM »

Quote from: "Turtle"
I hear this demo has multiplayer, has anyone tried it yet?

I also heard they would include COOP in this one, a feature sorely lacking from the original.


I am almost positive there is some COOP through the multiplayer in the skirmish stuff. I want to get some MP action going this weekend for sure though.
Logged
Daehawk
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Offline Offline

Posts: 11755



View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 24, 2005, 04:48:03 AM »

Finished the demo today and deleted it. Not for me. It just lead me steaight through to one setup encounter after the next. No freedom. Pass.
Logged

---------------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.

Check my trader rating. Im 22+ and zero negs. Trade with me! smile
Turtle
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Offline Offline

Posts: 9364



View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: September 24, 2005, 08:24:43 AM »

Yup, they did improve the AI overall.  I noticed in the mission they were a lot more aggressive.

However, that AI can't do anything if they're boxed in.

The problem lies in the fact that you're just one squad of guys usually sent to kill two to four times your number.  So they have to narrow the encounter areas and lead you through the map.

I'm hoping that if the series makes it to the next gen consoles, they start including an entire platoon, with you still only controlling a squad, but with other AI squads helping along a much larger front.

They also need to stop trying to script things in mid game.
Logged
Calvin
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Offline Offline

Posts: 13895

President of G.R.O.S.S.


View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 24, 2005, 04:27:07 PM »

Quote from: "Turtle"
Yup, they did improve the AI overall.  I noticed in the mission they were a lot more aggressive.

However, that AI can't do anything if they're boxed in.

The problem lies in the fact that you're just one squad of guys usually sent to kill two to four times your number.  So they have to narrow the encounter areas and lead you through the map.

I'm hoping that if the series makes it to the next gen consoles, they start including an entire platoon, with you still only controlling a squad, but with other AI squads helping along a much larger front.

They also need to stop trying to script things in mid game.


I agree-this is the central problem with the game-and why I call it a RTS/Puzzle game-the very nature of trying to make the game more tactical and using supression and the like works great (other than the still pretty bad and overly inaccurate shooting controls), but it also only lends itself to very narrow, very scripted, almost rail-like encounters. It is true that you have multiple ways around each encounter, which opens up the tactical possibilities, but at the same time, until you have more men under your command, they are going to keep funelling you down narrow passageways and letting you fight it out against a few enemies except for a couple of very scripted, defensive oriented larger battles. The game is designed for that type of very small unit combat and because you can die so easily and your guns are so inaccurate, it would be difficult to just expand that to large, platoon size combat.
Logged
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  
 
Jump to:  

Powered by MySQL Powered by PHP Powered by SMF 1.1.19 | SMF © 2013, Simple Machines
Valid XHTML 1.0! Valid CSS!
Page created in 0.095 seconds with 51 queries. (Pretty URLs adds 0.023s, 2q)