http://gamingtrend.com
July 28, 2014, 03:23:52 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Brothers: A Tale of Two Sons  (Read 855 times)
Ridah
Senior Staff Writer
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: December 29, 2013, 07:07:00 AM »

I searched and didn't find a thread for this already, so apologies if this is a duplicate since it's hard to believe we don't already have one already. This game is phenomenal, the way you control two characters at once is unlike anything I've experienced before and the graphics and imagery are incredible. I'm reminded a lot of ICO because of the gentle fashion in which you move about the world. It's a bit too slow paced for me, so if the game goes longer than 4-5 hours I'll probably grow bored. A few hours in though and I'm totally engrossed in it.

Something really cool that I discovered too - The language of the characters is gibberish, but there were multiple times when I could have sworn I was hearing Arabic (I speak it a little). I looked into it online and sure enough, one of the main designers is Arab and built Arabic into the gibberish. Here's an excerpt from an interview with the designer:

Actually, the language is inspired from my own language. I am originally from Lebanon, so I took my Arabic language just to get a base. Creating a gibberish language from the ground up is very hard. When you take a language that is there and you have all the accents – it feels right. I told the actors, “This is what you are saying,” and I wrote to them this and that and it sounds like a language. It wasn’t totally made up. It was made up in many senses, but it is also very inspired by my own language.

Pretty neat smile

Sean Lama
Senior Staff Editor, GamingTrend
Lordnine

Lord of the Rutabagas

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2013, 04:11:56 PM »

This has gotten near universal acclaim as one of the best games of the year, but honestly, it did nothing for me.  I never became emotionally connected to the brothers because of the limited character development.  It felt like a game that relies solely on you tying your real world relationships to the characters in the game.  Because I never had a strong connection my real life brother or father the game had to get by on its simple, vague story and fairly tedious mechanics.

But since most other people love it I guess itís still worth a look to find out if you are the type of the person who will be wowed by what itís trying to do.
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2013, 04:45:06 PM »

Quote from: Lordnine on December 29, 2013, 04:11:56 PM

This has gotten near universal acclaim as one of the best games of the year, but honestly, it did nothing for me.  I never became emotionally connected to the brothers because of the limited character development.  It felt like a game that relies solely on you tying your real world relationships to the characters in the game.  Because I never had a strong connection my real life brother or father the game had to get by on its simple, vague story and fairly tedious mechanics.

But since most other people love it I guess itís still worth a look to find out if you are the type of the person who will be wowed by what itís trying to do.

This sums up my thoughts as well.  In addition, the dual stick control system (one stick controls one brother, the other stick controls the other) was endlessly frustrating to me.  Thought this one would be right up my alley...not so much.

ďMy next great decision is just lying in wait.
The action might turn out to be the world's most grievous mistake."
- Bad Religion, Past is Dead
Caine

My cocaine

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2013, 05:24:59 PM »

I'm waiting until next month when this comes available for free on PSN to play. 

"It's like chess with big guns against aliens. Which isn't like chess at all when I think about it." - Jake Solomon
Ridah
Senior Staff Writer

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2013, 06:29:00 PM »

The game is only three hours long so I urge you guys to go back and finish. It started off really slow for me, but the last 2/3 of the game was much, much more interesting. Stick with it, there's more to the game than you think.

Sean Lama
Lordnine

Lord of the Rutabagas

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2013, 07:11:09 PM »

Quote from: Ridah on December 29, 2013, 06:29:00 PM

The game is only three hours long so I urge you guys to go back and finish. It started off really slow for me, but the last 2/3 of the game was much, much more interesting. Stick with it, there's more to the game than you think.
I actually finished the game in two settings.  I know what part you are referring to but having me control the character actually took me further out of the game.  Because I already didn’t care about the characters I ended up screwing around during those scenes which broke the immersion more than if I had simply watched the events.

Ultimately, I think the choice of making the game third person, and then choosing to have no dialogue broke the game for me.  In order for me to care about the characters I either need to like their personalities or become the character.  Maybe if the game had been first person I could have felt more like it was me carrying out the actions which would have had a greater emotional impact.  That or simply have really developed personalities so that I care about the troubles they face.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2013, 07:15:56 PM by Lordnine » Logged
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2013, 03:31:05 AM »

I just started and finished this today, and while it was good, I kind of also have to be in the camp that don't see what all the major fuss was about. 

Any potential spoilers, just in case...
Spoiler for Hiden:
I never did get used to the 2-player control scheme all that much.  Too many times I would be running along and soon enough be sending the wrong brother the wrong direction without realizing it.  I know people say they think this control scheme is necessary for the game to make it's impact, but I really disagree.

Overall, for the "big moment" I think I had too much knowledge of the story from too many hints beforehand for it to make it's real impact, but I agree with those above that say I never really felt a bond between the brothers so it didn't hit me particularly hard as I would have expected.

Also, when something like a mortal wound happens in a game it's hard to take it seriously and know the rules of that world to know if it is indeed going to be fatal.  Plus, in the game you're on a quest running from invisible giants and spider ladies, interacting with ghosts of your dead mother, going to the giant tree of life to get magic water to save your father...doesn't seem like any reason that water wouldn't save your brother in that world.

Sandwiches do fix everything.
Ridah
Senior Staff Writer

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2013, 03:32:46 AM »

That's strange, I had no trouble feeling a connection with the characters without them speaking my language. Between the gibberish language and the gesticulating I knew what they were thinking and feeling. I suppose because I feel that most video games are so horrendously written I was happy to not have to worry about cliche dialogue and voice acting.

Sean Lama
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2013, 03:44:41 PM »

Yeah, I didn't have a problem connecting with them or with seeing their connection to each other at all.

I wouldn't put this in Game of the Year realm, but I applaud them for trying something different and moving me (if only a little) by the end.

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2013, 09:39:17 PM »

I feel I need to thank Ridah for creating this thread. 

I picked up Brothers a few weeks ago, and wrote it off as silly and gimmicky within the first 30 minutes.  The controls were annoying and unintuitive, the first few puzzles were bland, and the whole "emotion" aspect seemed rather forced.  Based on this thread, I gave it another look last night and wrapped it up this afternoon.  My mind was completely changed over the course of 3 hours, and I honestly might put this as my second favorite game of the year (running very close with Puppeteer).  What an absolutely wonderful, beautiful, unique, and touching game...never played anything quite like it before. 

I'd recommend it to anyone, without reservation.  Thanks for giving me the itch to go back and revisit it Ridah, as I would have really missed out otherwise.   thumbsup

P.S.  There's a great (and spoiler-filled) interview with the creator here.

Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 31, 2013, 02:19:08 PM »

I picked it up also during the Steam holiday sale (Engine No. 9 answered some questions about it for me). Quite fun, and works well on the XBox360 for Windows controller. It has a key bindings menu so clearly they either hope to add keyboard support or it's there and unsupported right now, I think?

I'm apparently late in the very short game (most of the negativity in Steam forums is the game length or the puzzles not being brain-bending enough), and am stuck on (involves footprints)...
Spoiler for Hiden:
Fleeing along with the rescued lady from the invisible frost giant whatever on that bridge. The little brother just can't seem to run fast enough to escape its grasp - dies every single time (big brother's fine).  I've tried hiding little bro' amongst the "snow men" on the bridge, but no dice.  confused

Any ideas/suggestions? Here's a screenshot I posted on Steam of where I'm stuck:
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=210564466
« Last Edit: December 31, 2013, 02:21:35 PM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
-Marvel Heroes
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 31, 2013, 02:49:53 PM »

I'm pretty sure you're supposed to...

Spoiler for Hiden:
hide amongst the snow men like you tried to do.  If I remember correctly, every time the monster comes you should find a pair of snow men that coincidentally look the same size and shape as your two brothers.
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 31, 2013, 03:20:58 PM »

Quote from: wonderpug on December 31, 2013, 02:49:53 PM

I'm pretty sure you're supposed to...

Spoiler for Hiden:
hide amongst the snow men like you tried to do.  If I remember correctly, every time the monster comes you should find a pair of snow men that coincidentally look the same size and shape as your two brothers.

Correct.  Although there is one spot where you just have to run across the bridge to get away.

leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 23, 2014, 05:11:20 AM »

I'm stuck in Chapter 2 where

Spoiler for Hiden:
I'm supposed to pickpocket a golden key from a guard but my little brother just walks in place and never takes the key...what gives?
The Grue

You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 23, 2014, 02:45:41 PM »

Quote from: Bullwinkle on December 30, 2013, 03:44:41 PM

Yeah, I didn't have a problem connecting with them or with seeing their connection to each other at all.

Same here.  I don't even have a brother and I felt something through this experience.  I think that's what I liked about it so much...not a word was said and yet it got an emotional response out of me.

XBox Live ID: The Grue
Playstation Network Name: TheGrue
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 23, 2014, 02:49:11 PM »

Quote from: leo8877 on January 23, 2014, 05:11:20 AM

Spoiler for Hiden:
I'm supposed to pickpocket a golden key from a guard but my little brother just walks in place and never takes the key...what gives?

Looks like a game breaking bug that requires you to restart the entire chapter.  Lovely.
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 25, 2014, 02:28:58 AM »

Restarted the chapter and it worked fine the second time.  Just finished today and really enjoyed it.  Highly recommend the few hours it takes to run through.
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 25, 2014, 04:11:23 PM »

Quote from: leo8877 on January 23, 2014, 02:49:11 PM

Quote from: leo8877 on January 23, 2014, 05:11:20 AM

Spoiler for Hiden:

Looks like a game breaking bug that requires you to restart the entire chapter.  Lovely.

I had one of those at a different spot (getting an overhead pulley system to work).  I spent way too long trying to get it to work before discovering I had to start that chapter over.

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: