http://gamingtrend.com
November 26, 2014, 02:02:06 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Bought NCAA 06... Impressions  (Read 8355 times)
Calvin
Gaming Trend Senior Member

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: July 18, 2005, 06:08:04 AM »

you guys are crazy!!
stiffler

View Profile WWW
« Reply #41 on: July 18, 2005, 06:17:38 AM »

Quote from: "Rage"
you guys are crazy!!

I wish I had a button on my desktop that had Chris Tucker shouting "CRAZY!"  That would be awesome.  Probably not too hard to find.  Quick, to the INTERNET!

Oh, and right now I am crazy.  Can't help it.  Can't stop.

Xbox Live Gamertag: cstiffler
TheMissingLink

TML, for short.

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: July 18, 2005, 11:54:33 AM »

I THINK I'M TAKING CRAZY PILLS!

Spoiler for Hiden:
Wawa-golly *whiiiiiiiiiiiirl* beep-bop

TheMissingLink on PSN
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: July 18, 2005, 03:05:09 PM »

Quote from: "GatorFavre"
Just had a nasty run-in with some comeback AI.  Very frustrating to be up big and all the sudden I cant run or pass and my defense starts getting torched  :x  I hate that shit in EA games.  If I wanted to get screwed out of a win, I'd put in NFL Blitz.

I ran into this last night as well.  My running back that was averaging 160 a game suddenly couldn't break a tackle or find a hole, my O-line turned into a seive, my receivers dropped 8 passes in one half (3 in the end zone), I threw 3 interceptions that were batted around twice before the AI came up with the catch, and the AI suddenly started making superhuman plays (receptions when triple teamed, breaking out of 4-person tackles, etc.).  I usually don't do it, but I actually shut the game off before finishing it.  Dissapointing. frown

gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: July 18, 2005, 06:15:26 PM »

Quote from: "Eco-Logic"
Quote from: "denoginizer"
Quote from: "Gratch"
I can only compare it to the NFL 2K series, but the controls seemed a more responsive, the player animations smoother,

Hmm.  I find the conrols in NCAA much less responsive than 2K5.  To me it still seesm like you are running on marbles.  The momentum just seems off to me.  NCAA 2006 definatly feels more responsive than 2005 (not saying much), but still lags way behind 2K5 to me.  I'm not saying you are wrong.  But it's funny how two people can see things completely opposite.  :shock:

I believe this game controls better than 2k5.  I thought 2K5 almost felt floaty... but hey, just another opinion.  Just to take things in another direction, I love the animations in this game, some of the tackles are downright brutal!

I believe 2k5 controls way better than NCAA 2006.

Just keeping things going... smile

The controls in 2k5 were awesome until you went into "OMGZ CHAIN ANIMATION MODE" where you lost control of your player for a good 2-5 seconds while he went through umpteen different preprogrammed animations, none of which you really wanted.

It looked pretty cool, but was pretty damn annoying when all you wanted to do was go left.

gellar
denoginizer

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: July 19, 2005, 05:30:21 PM »

Quote from: "gellar"

The controls in 2k5 were awesome until you went into "OMGZ CHAIN ANIMATION MODE" where you lost control of your player for a good 2-5 seconds while he went through umpteen different preprogrammed animations, none of which you really wanted.

It looked pretty cool, but was pretty damn annoying when all you wanted to do was go left.

gellar

That depends on which RB you are using.  If you try to make a quick cutback with a guys like Steven Davis or Corey Dillin you got a lot of that.  But with a small  back with high agility like Dunn or Quentin Griffin you could make some nasty cutbacks without all the hesitations.  That's one of the great things about 2K IMO.  The agility and body type of the back matters, not just speed like in Madden/NCAA.

Xbox Live Tag: denoginizer
PSN Name: denoginizer
Eco-Logic
Gaming Trend Member

Gamertag: St0ckBroker

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: July 19, 2005, 07:15:23 PM »

I simply don't like it.  

I hate the whole football engine.  I feel like I have far less control over everything.

Blah for EA.

Wake up.
TheMissingLink

TML, for short.

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: July 19, 2005, 08:05:51 PM »

Finally won my first game last night...and finally got a user-pick, JEEZ that took awhile.

The more I play, the more I want to be playing ESPN.  I've only been playing quick games, so maybe I'll dive into Dynasty mode (or whatever it's called) and take a look at the real meat & potatoes of the game.

TheMissingLink on PSN
gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: July 19, 2005, 09:53:11 PM »

Quote from: "denoginizer"

gellar

That depends on which RB you are using.  If you try to make a quick cutback with a guys like Steven Davis or Corey Dillin you got a lot of that.  But with a small  back with high agility like Dunn or Quentin Griffin you could make some nasty cutbacks without all the hesitations.  That's one of the great things about 2K IMO.  The agility and body type of the back matters, not just speed like in Madden/NCAA.

That might explain it.  I played mostly with Rudi Johnson (Cincy) and Kevan Barlow (Frisco) and both of them aren't exactly shifty backs.  It's still damned annoying though.

As far as the game goes... you really need to get into the Dynasty.  ESPN does a single game (especially vs another player) incredibly well, but for long term vs CPU action, the EA series has it beat.

gellar
denoginizer

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: July 19, 2005, 10:45:14 PM »

As far as the game goes... you really need to get into the Dynasty.  ESPN does a single game (especially vs another player) incredibly well, but for long term vs CPU action, the EA series has it beat.

gellar

I think I agree with you there.  Unfortunalty playing games against the computer bores me to tears.  I enjoy playing against other people much more.  Maybe thats why I like ESPN so much more.  The online leagues are incredible.  EA's oline leagues arent even in the same century.  Typing this just makes me angry at the NFL for selling the rights all over again.  :oops:

Xbox Live Tag: denoginizer
PSN Name: denoginizer
Thin_J

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: July 19, 2005, 11:55:00 PM »

Just had a nasty run-in with some comeback AI.  Very frustrating to be up big and all the sudden I cant run or pass and my defense starts getting torched  :x  I hate that shit in EA games.  If I wanted to get screwed out of a win, I'd put in NFL Blitz.

I won my first game in the Heisman race mode 49-14, and my second game I just finished against Oregon state ended with me up 76-0 in a total shutout.

Their team came up with negative yardage in the rushing category, and their passing only just barely got them into the positives for total team yardage.

I'm playing as Louisville.

I've yet to have the AI do any weird comeback junk to me. I had that issue game after game after game with NFL2k5. Don't get me wrong, I love NFL2k5 and I think it's a great game of football. I just would argue that it has a far worse issue with comeback ai than this NCAA game does.

But then maybe I've just been lucky. We'll see in time I suppose.

Xbox Live: Thin J
PSN: Thin_J
TheMissingLink

TML, for short.

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: July 20, 2005, 12:21:52 AM »

Cuuuuuuuurse!!!

TheMissingLink on PSN
Thin_J

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: July 20, 2005, 12:29:10 AM »

Huuuuuuuuuug! Huuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuug!

Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: July 20, 2005, 03:40:13 AM »

Bleh.  I ran into some serious AI issues tonight.  Playing in the Liberty bowl as Utah (10-1, MWC Champs) vs. Memphis (9-3, C-USA champs).  I'm up 42-21 with 1:30 to go.  My running back has close to 250 yards and has been shredding the defense all game, so I'm on cruise control.  Run up the gut, cover the ball with both hands, repeat.  Suddenly he fumbles the ball on an ankle tackle and it's returned by a d-lineman who breaks 4 tackles on his way to the endzone.

42-28.

I recover the onside kick with about 1:10 remaining.  Memphis only has one time-out, so I figure I'll run the same thing.  First play from scrimmage, even though I'm covering the ball and simply diving ahead, he fumbles again.  Mephis scoops it up, and - you guessed it - returns it for a touchdown.

42-35.

I recover the onsides kick. There's still about 50 seconds remaining, so I need to run one play.  No way he'll fumble 3 in a row, right?

Wrong.

D-lineman broke up the handoff and caused a fumble.  Memphis has it on their own 40 with :40 seconds remaining and one time-out.  Time for a serious passing attack from their QB who has over 250 yards in the game, right?

Wrong.

Memphis proceeds to run 5 running plays in a row (at this point they have a total of 30 rushing yards in the game, mind you) from a no-huddle to run the clock out and lose by a touchdown.  Not a single pass attempt.

If they're going to program the AI to cheat and get back into the game, why on earth wouldn't they program it to at least play intelligently in a close game?  It really left me scratching my head.

The game is fun, but the more these AI issues raise their head, the less I enjoy it.  I'll probably play through another season, but I'm quickly losing my enthusiasm for NCAA '06.  frown

Thin_J

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: July 20, 2005, 04:18:48 AM »

Weird. What settings are you guys playing on?

TheMissingLink

TML, for short.

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: July 20, 2005, 06:24:22 AM »

Holy yowza, that's comeback AI to the max.  Stupid, stupid.

TheMissingLink on PSN
TheMissingLink

TML, for short.

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: July 20, 2005, 10:34:35 AM »

This game is so goddamned annoying to play.  I play this game just to mess around...whenever I randomly pick a play, just messing around, it works.  Whenever I choose carefully what to do, I mess up.

I have yet to get the strip ball button to work.

I hate how linemen who chase after the QB never hit him after he releases it.  They just pivot around.  And I dislike the routes the receivers take to thrown balls...argh.  What a frustrating night.  I don't know if I'm going to get Madden because of how frustrating it is to play this one.  I wish ESPN put out a game this year  :evil:

TheMissingLink on PSN
Captain Caveman

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: July 20, 2005, 01:42:07 PM »

Gratch, you should have just taken a knee.  :wink:
Eco-Logic
Gaming Trend Member

Gamertag: St0ckBroker

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: July 20, 2005, 02:37:28 PM »

Quote from: "TheMissingLink"
I wish ESPN put out a game this year  :evil:

Oh man, so do I.

I'm glad I didn't actually buy NCAA, just took it for a test run slywink and quickly deleted it.

Wake up.
Lockdown

LD

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: July 20, 2005, 03:11:23 PM »

TML... you and Eco need to shut the hell up regarding ESPN.  It's bad enough that it's not coming out... it's worse when you TALK about it!

:x

Besides, we all know that Madden/NCAA 2008 STILL won't hold a candle to ESPN 2k5.  Until EA completely overhauls the 'madden' engine, it's a sad sad replacement.

People who disagree don't even need to bother replying.  You're wasting keystrokes.  (you know who you are)

Oh wait... this is an NCAA 2006 impressions thread, isn't it.  Sorry all.

LD   Tongue

LD

"Let your enemies fear, for a harlequin of the Laughing God dances at your side."
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: July 20, 2005, 03:33:44 PM »

Quote from: "Captain Caveman"
Gratch, you should have just taken a knee.  :wink:

Tried, but couldn't find that option.

jament
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: July 20, 2005, 04:08:22 PM »

Yeah, as much as I wanted to love this game, it sucks.  The AI is just complete crap and hasn't improved an inch since 04 or 03.  This is just an example of what EA's going to jam down our throats with their "exclusive licenses."  Bah.  I'm telling you, there's a reason you can't save replays and share them over Live - because if you saw replays of some of this garbage, no one in their right mind would play this crap.  NCAA Grievances - playing on Heisman, default sliders:

1. The Lob.  I play as the Wyoming Cowboys.  My WR is an impact player and when he gets in the zone, forget about it.  I played a game against USC to see how much damage he could do.  I threw a lob on every play and beat them 77-34.  My WR had 10 touchdowns and set a new NCAA record for TDs and receiving with 900 and some yards.  The 11th touchdown was scored when the ball bounced off of my WR's hands and into my other receiver's hands for a TD.  This also works the other way - triple team an opposing WR and he'll still catch most lobs thrown his way.  This sucks.  So, I play with a new house rule - no lobs.  Bah.

2. Running.  This game would be great if you've never played ESPN's game and observed their running animations, where backs twist through holes and hits actually have effect on the runners.  I get so sick of watching my back run in place while backed up against blockers.  Or diving into a back being held up by other tacklers only to see my LB bounce to the ground.  Looks stupid, is stupid.  The ultimate in Tecmo-Bowl technology. Bah.

3. Brain Dead AI.  So, I'm playing against Air Force, who loves to run.  Fine.  I run a 5-2 defense and blitz the crap out of them.  By the end of the game, they rack up 12 yards total rushing, 211 passing.  Every time they pass they get a nice gain, but they're too stupid to do it more than occasionally.  So, I play Florida, who passes all damned day.  I run a Dime Max Zone package the whole game.  Rush 2, drop 9, and crush them.  6 INTs, they score 6 points on two field goals.  Every time they do run the ball, they gain 10-12 yards, but they're too stupid to do it more than a few times.  There is absolutely no AI here that will adjust to running the same play or offense or defense over and over.  It's dead, Jim.  Further, even when I'm in the Max Zone, half the time my DBs drop 8-10 yards, then stand there and watch while the QB scrambles and runs to them.  They never run forward to tackle him, even when there's no receiver in their zone.  It's idiotic.

4. Catch Up AI.  Holy crap, this sucks.  Sometimes, the game engine just decides you're going to lose a game, as posted above.  I was playing New  Mexico, and was up 21-7 with 2 minutes left.  I punt to them, they start their drive.  The RB, who has maybe 40 yards to this point, all of a sudden becomes untouchable.  Well, 8 or 9 of my guys touch him, but can't seem to tackle him.  On a 2nd and 3, we stack the line and blitz, he goes up the middle, gets knocked back by 3 linebackers who then all bounce off and fall down while he runs for a TD.  Ummmm. ok.   The replay was hilarious.  I get the kickoff, hand it up the middle, fumble, they recover.  I go to a Nickel, double the wide outs - the QB passes to a wide (!!) open WR for a TD.  I watch the replay - my two DBs who are doubling the WR don't move an inch while the WR runs by them on the fly, catches the ball 5 yards beyond them and scores.  I get the ball with :40 seconds left.  I'm pissed, so house rules off - I run the lob.  Lob to my WR, TD.  :30 seconds left.  I'm giving my TV the Double Bird Salute.  Take that, catch up AI bullshit.  I kick the ball deep.  Their guy catches it, breaks each and every tackle in my coverage wedge (on the replay, maybe 7 guys), and returns the kick for a TD.  Fuck me.  We go to OT.  I have the ball first - lob, TD.  They get the ball, against a 3-4, hand it up the middle, break 6 tackles and TD.  They get the ball, pass to a wide open wideout, TD.  I get the ball - lob, TD.  We have to go for 2 now.  I lob, TD.  On the 2 point conversion, my RB fumbles.  They run off-tackle, break 5 tackles, TD.  Convert the 2, they win.  A game that was a reasonable 21-7 with 2 minutes left turns into like a 55-57 game or something ridiculous.  I don't know WTF these programming idiots are doing.  Who do they think wants to play shit like this??

5. Presentation.  Half time dumps to a menu.  No recap, no stat sheet, not a damned thing.  Same as 2-3 years ago.  Can't we improve this thing a little?  The only improvement we get in presentation is the studio shot on televised games before going to the field.  Ugh.  Nice work.  And replays - holy crap, the replay system on ESPN is genius.  I can press the button and still see the replay while choosing my next play - it doesn't just go away.  Speeds the game up, but I can still see my big hits.  Man, I miss that when playing NCAA.

6. Commentary.  Turn that shit off.  Corso and his stooges have been saying the same damned things for what, 3 years now?  Enough, already.  Get out a 3 dollar mic and record some new lines.  

7. Sliders.  The lamest excuse for programming laziness.  Don't get me wrong, I like to tailor my gameplay experience, but any time some criticism gets thrown out there, some idiot says, "Dude, if you don't like it, just adjust the sliders."  Piss on that.  I turned my defensive awareness all the way up and my DBs still watch the QB and RBs go sauntering by.  They ain't aware of a damned thing.  Sliders are just a ruse to make us think that there's a Holy Grail of Sliderdom out there somewhere to fix this piece of crap.  I tinker for hours thinking maybe, just maybe, if I get the absolute amazing combination of slider heaven, my LBs will react to a roll out.  Or my DBs playing man coverage will... oh, I don't know.... cover their man, maybe?  It's bullshit.  A red herring.  But, if you've got a slider set that fixes all the above issues - y'know - feel free to, like, send it to me.

Damn, I love college football and the first time I saw my players on those SI covers in the game (02, 03?), I thought it was the best game I'd ever played.  But there's no improvement on any of the issues that really kill the game play.  Last year's game was terrible and after the early reviews I had such high hopes for this one.  But, it's the same old, tired shit.  If ESPN NFL could get it so right after only a couple seasons, WTF are these idiots doing ??  Every year, like a beat up, retarded lemming, I can't wait to buy this game and the last couple years, it's just been flat-out broke.

I can't believe that anyone would buy Madden this year - I just have absolutely no faith that any of the gameplay issues will be improved at all.  

Bummer.
TheMissingLink

TML, for short.

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: July 20, 2005, 10:55:26 PM »

Great post, jament.

Good point on the presentation.  I hate how nothing goes on when you choose your play.  ESPN always had a replay if you were picking a play (in single-player) and with nothing going on, it feels dull.  And the half-time thing, yeah, it just dumps to a menu, which sucks.

So I dropped back for a pass last night and my RB just sits in his spot...and I'm trying to go backwards a little but he's just standing there, totally blocking ME, the QB.  It felt stupid.

As stupid as it sounds, I think I'm buying a copy of ESPN NFL when Madden comes out this year (sold mine back, but since it's football season again...) if this is any indication of how Madden is going to be.

TheMissingLink on PSN
AgtFox

View Profile WWW
« Reply #63 on: July 20, 2005, 11:21:04 PM »

I don't think NCAA is any indication of what Madden is going to be the same year.  NCAA is built upon the engine from the previous year's Madden and actually has its own team in Tiburon.  I'm not going to sit here and say Madden will be great simply because I know I'm in the minority on this issue, but I hope people will at least try it out.

Xbox Live: AgtFox
Semaj

View Profile
lol
« Reply #64 on: July 21, 2005, 04:11:36 AM »

Sega/ESPN will probably make a college football game, since, well, I do believe EA only controlls the NFL liscence...

They might also make a CFL game or Arena game... but if they dont make a normal football game I will kill them smile

WoW:
Venerable
Skywarden
Eagerly awaiting Drakes Fortune 2...
AgtFox

View Profile WWW
« Reply #65 on: July 21, 2005, 04:48:05 AM »

EA has the exclusive NCAA license...at least for football, not sure about the other sports.

stiffler

View Profile WWW
« Reply #66 on: July 21, 2005, 04:49:48 AM »

EA also has the Arena license.

Xbox Live Gamertag: cstiffler
WinoMcCougarstein

View Profile WWW
« Reply #67 on: July 21, 2005, 05:45:31 AM »

I dont think 2K is going to put out a football game this year.  I heard they have a wrestling game in the works though...  Imagine the presentation they could put into a wrestling game!  That would be sweet.  Of course it wont be WWE licensed, but really, who cares?  Anyway, back on topic, why dont they just make an unlicensed football game?  They have such a large fan following that I'm sure it would sell.  Just make up new names for each team and give them similar colors and jerseys.  Make it so you can edit the rosters and have the announcers record the big name players from the NFL (if legally possible).  I dont know though, I just dont see it happening.

phormio
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: July 21, 2005, 07:10:50 PM »

Quote from: "Semaj"
Sega/ESPN will probably make a college football game, since, well, I do believe EA only controlls the NFL liscence...

They might also make a CFL game or Arena game... but if they dont make a normal football game I will kill them smile

I would love it if they made a CFL game, bu t I'm not holding my breath.

CSN started showing 1 game a week (Sat. night, re-broadcast Sunday afternoon). I had forgotten how much I enjoyed the CFL.  It's too bad they pre-empt it at the drop of a hat... hosers :x

Back OT, after reading what jament had to say (great post BTW), I realize my worst fears are true. I recently finished playing a season on 05, and now, a few games into 06, I think the AI has actually gotten worse. And the sliders now seem totally ineffective, whereas it didn't seem that way (to me anyway) in last years version.

When 05 came out I made a remark about it really being 04 v1.1.... I wish 06 was that good.

Don't get me wrong, I'm still having fun with 06. I was just really hoping for some progress. But if EA is just going to sit on their license, I seriously doubt I'll be buying 07 unless & until I hear some positive buzz/reviewage.

"My fake plants died because I did not pretend to water them." --Mitch Hedberg
AgtFox

View Profile WWW
« Reply #69 on: July 21, 2005, 07:24:00 PM »

Rumor is that 2K Games is signing retired football players to create a licensed professional football game.  They can do this because once a player is retired they are no longer part of the NFLPA.  The game would not be out until next year though.

Gwar21
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #70 on: July 22, 2005, 02:08:07 AM »

I'm not sure what to do with NCAA.  I started playing on AA level, which is where I normally play every year, but when I lost my first dynasty game 64-36 and had 550 yards of offense with a D- team, I decided that changes needed to be made.  I played a lot of AA practice games, and eventually concluded that AA is filled with way too many big plays that slider adjustment can't fix.  Thus, for the first time, I tried playing on Heisman.  When I first started playing on Heisman, I saw a game that looked more like my games on AA level in the past.  I saw long, 10+ play drives, intermediate passes, 4 yards per carry.  I thought I'd found my way home.

Unfortunately, the default Heisman sliders proved too hard for me.  The CPU would gradually pull away from me in every game, even when I had the superior team.  Defensive linemen rated in the 60s would bowl over my 95-rated offensive linemen on their way to sacking my QB.  My impact 92-rated HB was stuffed at the line more often than not.  There was also still a slight speed cheat, which really annoyed me.  So, deciding I wasn't good enough for default Heisman, I started messing with sliders.  That was a week ago.  Since then, I've used both mine and other people's sliders, tilting things in my advantage, and I STILL haven't found sliders that I like.  Almost every game seems to be a blowout, with everything being too easy for me or too hard.  Every now and then I think I'm getting close, as I'll play a game between similar teams that stays close for a half...and then the CPU scores 21 points in 4 minutes.

I normally play a lot more NCAA than I do Madden.  Even last year, a bad year for NCAA, I played it well into October.  But this year?  It might not even make it out of July.  I'm tired of sliders, but I'm not going to play a dynasty that is too hard or too easy.  So, I might not play it at all.   :evil:
jament
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #71 on: July 22, 2005, 03:56:42 PM »

I'm with you, Gwar - I can't find any sliders that make the game consistently fun.

Yet, I'm such a cheap whore - I keep playing.  Sigh.  It's maddening - for every 4 or 5 games where I'm rolling my eyes at the AI play and spewing curses across the room, there's that 1 game that plays great or moments where it seems like the game's going to be fun.

That's what sucks.  If the game was total trash, I'd throw it in the trade pile and be done with it.  But there's a good game in there somewhere - you can see it from here - you just can't get there.

You're right, though, that my time with the game won't be extended near as long as prior years.  I think my tolerance level's coming soon.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: