http://gamingtrend.com
October 25, 2014, 09:23:14 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Bought NCAA 06... Impressions  (Read 8326 times)
WinoMcCougarstein
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile WWW
« on: July 12, 2005, 11:12:48 PM »

I just got home from the mall with NCAA 06, but, I have to go to work now  :o Anyway, I'll play some when I get home and leave some impressions.  I took a look at the manual and it was another EA classic....  I swear, their games have the worst manuals in the history of games.  Be back later!

mikeg

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2005, 12:32:22 AM »

My blockbuster had about 8 copies on the shelves already.  Not my kind of game, but for those who want to rent before they make a decision, look at your local BB.

I am Xboxalot on Live.
AgtFox

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2005, 12:43:13 AM »

I'm going to guess there will be further impressions in the Sports Forum here as well.

Xbox Live: AgtFox
Zarkon

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2005, 01:16:07 AM »

Someone, for the love of god, come up with AA sliders that are for people who aren't the best in the world at the game.  I swear, I go use the ones on Operation Sports that are tuned to be 'realistic' and I'm getting ripped (as #3 Iowa) by Iowa State, and they can read every run call I'm making.  

Obviously, I'm not the best player in the world, so I need slider codes that might be better tuned for the ... less able players. :p
Devil

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2005, 02:52:39 AM »

Yeah, so, ummm...Sports Forum

XBox Gamertag: Devil13Devil
Wii Number: 0305 6568 6417 2609
PS3 Thing: Slived
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2005, 03:09:54 AM »

Way to hold out Devil frown
WinoMcCougarstein

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2005, 04:48:37 AM »

Yes, I realized the mistake of where I posted this when I got to work.  I was wondering why there was no discussion about it...  Anyway, off to play for a bit, impressions still coming!

depward

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2005, 07:23:59 AM »

First you say you "won't be lured to buy NCAA again."  And you buy it.

Tne you say you'll have some impressions tonight.  Now I don't see any impressions and it's 12:21am.

I hope to god gatorfavre you got your two free Full Throttles with that purchase!  Because we know you love yourself some Full Throttle.

depward on the Playstation Network
raaaaaawwwwwwr on Xbox Live
WinoMcCougarstein

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2005, 09:34:00 AM »

I thought I could make it without buying it, but I have been having a football itch lately.  Anyway, I will probably play through a couple seasons and then trade it in when Madden comes out.  Gamestop has a deal where you trade in NCAA and get Madden for $20.  I'm sure someone is going to tell me that is a stupid deal, save your breath...  I dont care what you say  :lol:

Anway, quick impressions.  The graphics so far seem better than last year.  The game runs overall faster which I like.  Gameplay seems to be tweaked and refined for the better.  I like the new presentation stuff, pre and post game run downs are nice, but not quite Visual Concepts quality.  Menus look nice and they have done away with the constant playing of fight songs while navigating menus.  Thank God.  So far I havent messed with the Race for the Heisman aside from creating my player and going through a drill to determine what schools would be interested.  I think this game mode could be fun, I will have to play it more though.  My first game I played as Washington State University against University of Washington.  I came back from being down 13-0 to win 14-13 after scoring a TD with 33 seconds left.  I did notice some dropped passes, mostly by my receivers.  However, I was picked off twice and the defense dropped zero balls which was nice to see.  The impact player thing is kind of cool, especially when you are an offensive player and you do a stiff arm or a juke, it zooms in on the play and shows the move and then zooms back out.  That is all I have for now.  Anyone have any questions?  I'd be happy to try and answer them.

depward

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2005, 10:17:56 AM »

How good is WSU rated in that game anyways?

How are the stadiums?  (i.e. WSU and EWU's stadiums just for reference (bigger university and small one))

How is the ground game?

TheMissingLink

TML, for short.

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 13, 2005, 11:57:37 AM »

LOL, who could WSU have who could be catagorized as an "impact player"?  biggrin biggrin

I may pick it up.  Alfonso from the downstairs EB called to let me know my preorder for it was in (btw, Jeremy, Alfonso is the coolest guy in the world, you should go buy from them).

TheMissingLink on PSN
WinoMcCougarstein

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: July 13, 2005, 06:00:08 PM »

Quote from: "depward"
How good is WSU rated in that game anyways?

How are the stadiums?  (i.e. WSU and EWU's stadiums just for reference (bigger university and small one))

How is the ground game?

Martin Stadium looks pretty good, they didnt add the new building on the Stadium Way side yet.  Havent played at a smaller stadium.  Running game is pretty good, I broke a few nice sized runs with Jerome Harrison.  WSU is a B overall with a B on Offense and Defense.  Our impact players are Jerome Harrison, Jason Hill and Will Derting.  I only really noticed an improvement for Harrison when he is in the zone, a little hard to tackle and maybe a little faster.

Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 13, 2005, 06:33:52 PM »

Quote from: "TheMissingLink"
LOL, who could WSU have who could be catagorized as an "impact player"?  biggrin biggrin

I may pick it up.  Alfonso from the downstairs EB called to let me know my preorder for it was in (btw, Jeremy, Alfonso is the coolest guy in the world, you should go buy from them).

Theres no efffing way you think hes cooler than me. Bite your tongue.
Semaj

View Profile
lol
« Reply #13 on: July 13, 2005, 07:01:53 PM »

Time to make the University At Buffalo into a football powerhouse (lmao)

WoW:
Venerable
Skywarden
Eagerly awaiting Drakes Fortune 2...
TheMissingLink

TML, for short.

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 14, 2005, 01:59:06 AM »

Quote from: "Rage"

Theres no efffing way you think hes cooler than me. Bite your tongue.

You will gain back your "coolest guy in the world" rank when you get back on AIM, you vagabond of vagabonds.

(oh, and I just picked NCAA up, Jeremy, if you're up for a game, just call my cell...OMG THAT'S RIGHT MY CELLPHONE!!!!!!!11!!!!11!!!!)

TheMissingLink on PSN
Devil

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 14, 2005, 02:11:13 AM »

No comeback against me tonight!!

WSU beat down Nevada 56-16 and T. Devil had 356yds Receiving and 6 TDs.

Time to clear some room on the trophy case!!

stiffler

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: July 14, 2005, 03:08:22 AM »

I won my first game 27-24 in OT.  Man, what a great game!

GA Tech @ UGA for a rivalry game: "Good old-fashioned hate."  Hell yeah!

It was raining and Tech's QB threw up 5 INT's.  That was pretty much my entire defence since it took me about 3 quarters to figure that out.  Had over 100 yds rushing and only a couple bombs.  Man, you better watch out when the opposeing wideout is in the zone.  Yikes.  I blew a 14 point lead in the 4th quarter due to bad play calling and horrid defence.  But I held when it mattered!

I hit a nice corner route that had me up out of my seat.  Glad you only need one foot down in college!  I had a blast and am SO thankful I was able to hold Tech to a field goal.  I kept in on the ground and pounded through their tired O-line for a 15-yd TD.  Top of the world!

Gotta work on the option since my QB is a scrambler.

Oh, and the manual is useless.  It doesn't even list all the moves.  I was on the goal line looking for how to hurdle or dive and couldn't find it.  Yuck.

So with one practice win under my belt I am happy so far.  I'm easy to please...

Oh yeah, and the "random name generator" is much appreciated.  I don't care what the names are as long as it doesn't say "QB #3."  Plus I actually like the random names my guys have, even if I know the real ones.

Xbox Live Gamertag: cstiffler
Devil

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 14, 2005, 03:14:10 AM »

Can you add random names or update rosters once you start Race for the Heisman?

I'm guessing 'NO', but holding out hope!

stiffler

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: July 14, 2005, 03:43:10 AM »

Quote from: "Devil"
Can you add random names or update rosters once you start Race for the Heisman?

I'm guessing 'NO', but holding out hope!

I don't know.  You go to the roster settings and there is an option to do it.  I skipped out of the Heisman race and went right into the game so I didn't check.

I would hope so since they have a seperate setting, but I can't check since I've already done it.  You will let us know soon enough!

TheMissingLink

TML, for short.

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 14, 2005, 04:25:50 AM »

I just got throttled by Washington 24-7...oh well.

I'm used to letting the QB run his little pattern (ala ESPN's qb system), but the QB has a mind of his own!  I'll be looking at my receivers and my QB will just throw the ball!  I didn't press a button!  I checked to see if that easyplay thing was on, it wasn't...so I guess, if I just hike the ball and let the QB drop back, will he be cpu controlled?  He kept throwing the ball and I'd be like wtf!?!?

TheMissingLink on PSN
denoginizer

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 14, 2005, 04:48:16 AM »

You must drop back manually or the comp will throw it for you.  You can just barley tap left or right just as he finishes the drop if you want to do it the ESPN way.

Xbox Live Tag: denoginizer
PSN Name: denoginizer
TheMissingLink

TML, for short.

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 14, 2005, 07:03:21 AM »

Good to know denoginizer...I figured that out on my second game, in which I lost 38-17 to Oregon.  They were torching my defense left and right.  NEED TO WORK ON THAT!

TheMissingLink on PSN
TheMissingLink

TML, for short.

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 15, 2005, 08:31:15 AM »

Lost a "classic" game to Boise State 28-24...man, I had them 24-21 with like, a minute and change left.  But I totally messed up a deflection in the secondary and they scored.  Oh well.  I don't like the AI playing as my secondary, so I end up getting burned a lot.

Random thoughts:

-The running game is pretty good.  I haven't found a play that consistantly works (although I am partial to the counter runs...they rock....especially when going to the weak side).

-Passing is tough for me.  Maybe it's because the WSU QB kinda sucks (Swogger...Brink is even WORSE and he's not even quick in the game [unlike real-life]), but the defense seems pretty tough to get past.

-The impact camera dealio.  I've seen it only ONCE and it was cool as hell.  Didn't really affect gameplay since it took awhile to rotate in and out.

-The hit stick, at least on the xbox version, is weird.  It never seems to function when I want it to.  I want it to be somewhat instantaneous, and it isn't...

-Where are the fumbles?  I've gotten one...and that's all I can remember.  I like fumbles frown  Anyone experience more with the default sliders?

-It seems like every QB is working on their problems with over-throwing their receivers.  In every game, Kirk H. has mentioned something about that QB working on that part of their game.  I hate commentary like that.

That's all I can come up with now!

TheMissingLink on PSN
Scott

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 15, 2005, 01:09:40 PM »

I'm enjoying the game after playing a bit more, and may have to grab the rosters now.  Devil and I played online last night, and it was a pretty good game.  It was one of the few games I can remember where the run to pass ratio was fairly well balanced.  We both broke off big runs and big pass plays, and got stuffed at times too.  I was the home team, and I definitely seemed to get a few more calls for me and my receivers made a couple bigger plays.   If that was intentional by the game (home field advantage) then that is pretty cool.

The atmosphere doesn't seem as well done as I'd like, or in the past though.  Fight songs don't seem to play as often.  When I score a TD, I want the fight song, but most of the time the crowd just softens a bit, very anti-climatic.  FSU's chants don't happen as much either.

The Heisman mode looks pretty cool, but I'll probably skip it.  I found myself calling every play for my player, as opposed to just relaxing and playing a fun football game.  I also want to focus on the recruiting.

Overall, definitely seems one of the most balanced games I've played in a while out of the box.

---
XBox Live: ScottW
WinoMcCougarstein

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: July 15, 2005, 08:44:52 PM »

Quote from: "Scott"

The atmosphere doesn't seem as well done as I'd like, or in the past though.  Fight songs don't seem to play as often.  When I score a TD, I want the fight song, but most of the time the crowd just softens a bit, very anti-climatic.  FSU's chants don't happen as much either.

I thought I heard the fight song after every touchdown.  Though, there are a few things that I wish EA could get right or add.  For instance, when I play as WSU the crowd chants "Go, Cougars!" during the coin toss,  when it should be "Go, Cougs!"  Also, when I was watching some of the cameos, they had people from WSU saying "Thats another Cougar first down."  So I thought that would be in the game since our crowd says it everytime we get a first down.  Guess that is too hard to add though.  Oh well, just a couple little gripes.  Overall I am really enjoying this game.

TheMissingLink

TML, for short.

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 15, 2005, 11:26:44 PM »

Playing as Oregon, I just lost a game to Oregon State 3-0 frown

I couldn't complete a pass and my running game kept getting stuffed on 3rd down.  My offense is horrible  :evil:

Spoiler for Hiden:
Goddamned BEAVERS!

Spoiler for Hiden:
Just wanted to use this feature

TheMissingLink on PSN
WinoMcCougarstein

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: July 15, 2005, 11:33:35 PM »

I couldn't complete a pass and my running game kept getting stuffed on 3rd down.  My offense is horrible  :evil:

Spoiler for Hiden:
Goddamned BEAVERS!

Spoiler for Hiden:

My offense is alright, but my defense from game to game has been so fucking weird.  I beat UW 14-13, then beat University of Idaho 56-0, then played Nevada and won something like 45-41.  All three games were on the same difficulty, UW and UofI were both home games if that really matters.  My passing game is pretty bad and I have to rely mostly on Jason Hill and Troy Beieneienieneienemamnananan since everyone else just loves to drop the ball.  Guess that is pretty realistic though  :lol:

Devil

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 16, 2005, 02:13:22 AM »

I only lost to Scott 27-25.

Just thought that the game was close enough for me to be proud of a loss!  biggrin

TheMissingLink

TML, for short.

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 16, 2005, 11:11:29 AM »

Quote from: "GatorFavre"

Spoiler for Hiden:
Goddamned BEAVERS!

Spoiler for Hiden:

My offense is alright, but my defense from game to game has been so fucking weird.  I beat UW 14-13, then beat University of Idaho 56-0, then played Nevada and won something like 45-41.  All three games were on the same difficulty, UW and UofI were both home games if that really matters.  My passing game is pretty bad and I have to rely mostly on Jason Hill and Troy Beieneienieneienemamnananan since everyone else just loves to drop the ball.  Guess that is pretty realistic though  :lol:

I wish Brink were as speedy in the game as he is in real life...I'd be running circles around the defense with that little twirp.

TheMissingLink on PSN
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 16, 2005, 02:23:05 PM »

This is the first NCAA game I've played, and I was pretty impressed.  I can only compare it to the NFL 2K series, but the controls seemed a more responsive, the player animations smoother, and the AI a bit smarter.  My only major gripe so far is the seemingly very high turnover rate.  I fumbled the ball 4 times in one game, and was picked off twice on passes that bounced off at least 2 people before getting picked.  Seems a bit unrealistic.

I've always played the NFL games, but there's just something completely different when you're playing in a digital version of the stadium you spend every weekend at during the fall.   smile

“My next great decision is just lying in wait.
The action might turn out to be the world's most grievous mistake."
- Bad Religion, Past is Dead
WinoMcCougarstein

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: July 16, 2005, 10:43:34 PM »

I wish Brink were as speedy in the game as he is in real life...I'd be running circles around the defense with that little twirp.

Yeah, but if it were that real, he'd fumble the ball everytime he tried to run it.

denoginizer

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 17, 2005, 06:49:37 AM »

Quote from: "Gratch"
I can only compare it to the NFL 2K series, but the controls seemed a more responsive, the player animations smoother,

Hmm.  I find the conrols in NCAA much less responsive than 2K5.  To me it still seesm like you are running on marbles.  The momentum just seems off to me.  NCAA 2006 definatly feels more responsive than 2005 (not saying much), but still lags way behind 2K5 to me.  I'm not saying you are wrong.  But it's funny how two people can see things completely opposite.  :shock:

WinoMcCougarstein

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: July 17, 2005, 09:16:45 AM »

Quote from: "denoginizer"
I can only compare it to the NFL 2K series, but the controls seemed a more responsive, the player animations smoother,

Hmm.  I find the conrols in NCAA much less responsive than 2K5.  To me it still seesm like you are running on marbles.  The momentum just seems off to me.  NCAA 2006 definatly feels more responsive than 2005 (not saying much), but still lags way behind 2K5 to me.  I'm not saying you are wrong.  But it's funny how two people can see things completely opposite.  :shock:

I believe this game controls better than 2k5.  I thought 2K5 almost felt floaty... but hey, just another opinion.  Just to take things in another direction, I love the animations in this game, some of the tackles are downright brutal!

TheMissingLink

TML, for short.

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 17, 2005, 11:11:23 AM »

Some of the tackles are pretty darn cool...I think I've maybe hit somebody once with the "hit stick."  I'm absolutely atrocious using that.

TheMissingLink on PSN
Eco-Logic
Gaming Trend Member

Gamertag: St0ckBroker

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 17, 2005, 04:36:56 PM »

I believe this game controls better than 2k5.  I thought 2K5 almost felt floaty... but hey, just another opinion.  Just to take things in another direction, I love the animations in this game, some of the tackles are downright brutal!

I believe 2k5 controls way better than NCAA 2006.

Just keeping things going... smile

This signature is not personal, at all.  If you're not awake enough to realize our country is being taken down by an organized effort from a puppet chimp being controlled by a movement older than me.  Wake the freaking fack up.
WinoMcCougarstein

View Profile WWW
« Reply #35 on: July 17, 2005, 05:50:14 PM »

Just had a nasty run-in with some comeback AI.  Very frustrating to be up big and all the sudden I cant run or pass and my defense starts getting torched  :x  I hate that shit in EA games.  If I wanted to get screwed out of a win, I'd put in NFL Blitz.

denoginizer

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 17, 2005, 07:22:32 PM »

Just had a nasty run-in with some comeback AI.  Very frustrating to be up big and all the sudden I cant run or pass and my defense starts getting torched  :x  I hate that shit in EA games.  If I wanted to get screwed out of a win, I'd put in NFL Blitz.

I think it is funny that in NFL Street they allow you to turn off the comeback AI, but Madden and NCAA do not.  Are they trying to hide it in the so called "SIM" games?  It is obviously still there.

WinoMcCougarstein

View Profile WWW
« Reply #37 on: July 18, 2005, 04:33:18 AM »

I think it is funny that in NFL Street they allow you to turn off the comeback AI, but Madden and NCAA do not.  Are they trying to hide it in the so called "SIM" games?  It is obviously still there.

that is strange, i dont see why it is such a difficult thing to get rid of.  i can understand a realistic comeback, but blowing a lead to a "super team" is just not fun. at all.  why no caps?  shift keys are broken and the caps lock button makes me angry.  why can i make a question mark with no shift key?  i copied it out of character map.  why are you still reading this?  i dont have any idea.  yup.  I am a compulsive fibber!

depward

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 18, 2005, 05:14:37 AM »

why no caps?  shift keys are broken and the caps lock button makes me angry.  why can i make a question mark with no shift key?  i copied it out of character map.  why are you still reading this?  i dont have any idea.  yup.  I am a compulsive fibber!

That sentence, starting from an organized idea and trailing into oblivion, made my mind blow up.

I hate comeback AI.  It is disheartening to hear about that.  I wish game devs didn't see that sort of "comeback AI" as being "realistic AI."  Ah well!

stiffler

View Profile WWW
« Reply #39 on: July 18, 2005, 05:15:02 AM »

why no caps?  shift keys are broken and the caps lock button makes me angry.  why can i make a question mark with no shift key?  i copied it out of character map.  why are you still reading this?  i dont have any idea.  yup.  I am a compulsive fibber!

Start>Run>osk

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: