http://gamingtrend.com
August 30, 2014, 04:47:46 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Both versions of the PS3 are 'identical'?  (Read 669 times)
Destructor
Special Project Group
Gaming Trend Senior Member

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« on: May 11, 2006, 04:50:34 PM »

In the bullshit department, via Eurogamer:

"What we should be clear about is that the functionality is identical in both machines. There is no difference in what the machine does," he told BBC News.

Confusion arose after Sony Japan issued a spec sheet which appeared to indicate that the 20GB PS3 would not feature Wi-Fi, HDMI output or inputs for data storage cards. But according to Harrison, both versions will support high definition output: "It's just that the technical method of extracting audio and video from the devices is slightly different."

He went on to defend Sony's decision to launch two versions of the console by highlighting the importance of consumer choice. "Some people might be interested in the PS3 primarily and exclusively as a games system, whereas other users might look at it as a multimedia hub in the home, which is games and music and movies and other digital content." Harrison said that he personally would purchase the 60GB model.

""It's just that the technical method of extracting audio and video from the devices is slightly different."" - so, what, you use magical pixie dust to get that Blu-Ray player to output your movies in high-def as there's no HDMI input on the 'cheaper' PS3?

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
TheMissingLink

TML, for short.

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2006, 05:31:10 PM »

Behold, an even more retarded "retard" pack!

Now with 100% more gimpage  :?

TheMissingLink on PSN
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2006, 06:45:57 PM »

Yeah, it sounds like total bullshit spin.
egrudzin
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2006, 12:24:57 AM »

This sounds like really deceptive marketing from Sony.  Really I might consider it flat out lying.  There IS a difference between component and HDMI.  One is analog the other is digital.  And the HDCP will only work through HDMI.  So no hi-def movies on the gimped version.  That doesn't sound like identical functionality to me.

There damn well better be a disclaimer on the gimped version box that says it won't play movies in HD.  Consumers have enough trouble making sense of this crap as it is without the media corps trying to muddy the waters even more.

Sorry, I just needed to vent...
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2006, 01:27:20 AM »

Quote from: "Destructor"
""It's just that the technical method of extracting audio and video from the devices is slightly different."" - so, what, you use magical pixie dust to get that Blu-Ray player to output your movies in high-def as there's no HDMI input on the 'cheaper' PS3?

That's not really accurate- Bluray (and HD-DVD) can output movies in high def via component (both 720p and 1080i).  I'm not positive whether 1080p is possible over component (I've heard conflicting reports).

The real issue with HDMI to most people isn't 1080p support (only a small minority of the small number of HDTV owners have a display that supports 1080p and the intial HD-DVD drives don't even support the format) but the copy protection flag that is only usuable via HDMI.  *If* studios decide to enable the flag then that will prevent anything greater than 540p over component but so far no HD-DVD has had the flag enabled and, of the major studios, only Warners has committed to using it and that's only for "select titles" of which so far nothing has qualified.  But the risk is there that the studios will change their mind and it's pretty hard to trust them based on good will.

From what I've hard of MS's promised HD-DVD attachment it won't be HDMI either so we can hope that if either or both HD-DVD and Bluray take off, fear of customer backlash might actually keep the studios at bay but only time will tell.  

*Note* I'm not defending Sony's exclusion of HDMI in the cheaper system- it's an idiotic move.  Just pointing out that the cheaper system can technically output high def movies and will probably work with the majority of Bluray movies on the market.
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2006, 02:37:33 AM »

Quote from: "Kevin Grey"
*Note* I'm not defending Sony's exclusion of HDMI in the cheaper system- it's an idiotic move.  Just pointing out that the cheaper system can technically output high def movies and will probably work with the majority of Bluray movies on the market.

I know what you mean. For me though, I meant more the Blu-Ray stuff than anything else, as I know that Component can easily output to 1080.

Thanks, Sony, for making everything as confusing as hell.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2006, 02:45:20 AM »

Thanks, Sony, for making everything as confusing as hell.

I wonder how they can market it?  With the 360, the difference between the two versions was pretty obvious- people generally "get" the advantages of a HDD, wireless controller, etc.  But those same people won't necessarilly know what effect the presence or lack of an HDMI port and the potential effect it can have on movie playback.  So for them, they see a bigger HDD, and wireless connection which may or may not matter.  My gut tells me that the gimped version of the PS3 will be far more popular percentage-wise than the Core 360 pack is, though Sony may do an end run around that by limiting the quantities of the $500 version.

Speaking of wireless, I would love to know what the attach rate is for MS's wireless adapter.  I know something like 50% of 360 users have logged onto Live in some form, but a lot of them might be using wired connections.  Knowing the attach rate for the 360 wireless adapter would go a long way to understanding the signficance of it's absence in the cheaper PS3 version.
Farscry

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2006, 03:00:25 AM »

Well, I'm not generally the type to pick up accessories, but I picked up the wireless adapter.  I still feel it was overpriced, but I have to say it's worked perfectly so far, every bit as reliable and consistent as a wired connection would be, and I don't have to string a cable halfway across the house. smile

Purge - You have unlocked an Achievement!
You are now of the rank reprobate
unbreakable
« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2006, 03:22:03 AM »

I think a big downer is that there is no way to 'upgrade' the lower level PS3, even with add-ons.

IMO, this is one thing MS did right with their two-tiered 360 that Sony seems to not 'get'.  It's one thing to buy something lower and upgrade it later (even at a markup), and quite another to be required to buy an entirely different unit if you want the higher version.
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2006, 03:31:43 AM »

Quote from: "unbreakable"
I think a big downer is that there is no way to 'upgrade' the lower level PS3, even with add-ons.

IMO, this is one thing MS did right with their two-tiered 360 that Sony seems to not 'get'.  It's one thing to buy something lower and upgrade it later (even at a markup), and quite another to be required to buy an entirely different unit if you want the higher version.

I'm pretty sure Sony mentioned that the HDD is removable during their conference.  Am I wrong?

Other than the HDMI port, which isn't upgradable on the 360 either, the only other difference is the wireless and I'll stunned senseless if Sony doesn't sell a wireless adpater just like MS does for the "base" version.  

Oh, I guess there is something with memory cards not being usable in one or the other but a) I'm not sure its a major concern with a HDD and b) that wouldn't preclude something like a USB mem card reader for anyone who wants to use flash memory to download music, pictures, whatnot.  Again, its a pretty obvious accessory (ie money generator) so I can't see Sony *not* offering that.

Then again, I never dreamed that they would ditch the HDMI port...
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: May 12, 2006, 04:50:42 AM »

The HD is removable (at least I haven't seen anything that says otherwise), but would you really want to lug the thing over to a friend's place just to bring your character with you? And for that matter, how exactly would you hook a second HD into your PS3 just to get the data off onto the other console anyway?

Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 12, 2006, 05:01:57 AM »

The HD is removable (at least I haven't seen anything that says otherwise), but would you really want to lug the thing over to a friend's place just to bring your character with you? And for that matter, how exactly would you hook a second HD into your PS3 just to get the data off onto the other console anyway?

Does anyone really take their 360 HDD to their buddy's house?  Well I'm sure some do it but I certainly don't see much mention of it.  I think removable HDD is significant more in terms of allowing you to upgrade to a larger size down the line if needed.  

As to transferring saves, both consoles are pretty hosed at the moment.  Even though the 360 has mem cards devs don't seem to concerned with allowing saves to be transferrable, at least based on the original Xbox.  It would be nice if Sony and MS offered online servers to upload saves to temporarily for just such an occasion but neither have shown any indications of doing so.
Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 12, 2006, 12:35:38 PM »

One issue I have heard mentioned about the WiFi on the core version.  No WiFi means no interconnectivity with your PSP with the planned features of some games.

Oh and I take my HDD for my 360 to my brothers all the time.  He doesn't have a broadband connection so I take my HDD so we can play some of the live arcade games, his boy loves them.
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: May 12, 2006, 01:10:36 PM »

Now here's a completely random thought (and sorry for pulling this one off topic, even though it's my post to begin with) - the Wii will always be online, right? Doesn't that mean that if you visit a friend's house, you'll be able to access your save games/extra content/whatever from there (assuming you have broadband connectivity at both places)?

Misguided
Gaming Trend Staff

Semi-acquatic egg-laying mammal of action

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 12, 2006, 01:20:40 PM »

Quote from: "Arkon"
One issue I have heard mentioned about the WiFi on the core version.  No WiFi means no interconnectivity with your PSP with the planned features of some games.

I don't see why you couldn't connect via usb.

Ruining language with my terrible words.
Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 12, 2006, 01:53:39 PM »

Quote from: "Misguided"

I don't see why you couldn't connect via usb.

True, I suppose you could use USB, hadn't thought about that.
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

Thirty. Minutes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: May 12, 2006, 02:54:19 PM »

Depending on how it's used though, how long a USB cable are we talking?  I've yet to see a reasonably priced 3' MiniD usb cable; let alone a 9' or longer version.  :shock:

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 12, 2006, 06:54:56 PM »

Quote from: "Purge"

Depending on how it's used though, how long a USB cable are we talking?  I've yet to see a reasonably priced 3' MiniD usb cable; let alone a 9' or longer version.  :shock:

No need for any length of cable- it would presumably use a wireless USB adapter just like many PC connections.
egrudzin
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 13, 2006, 01:15:48 AM »

Now here's a completely random thought (and sorry for pulling this one off topic, even though it's my post to begin with) - the Wii will always be online, right? Doesn't that mean that if you visit a friend's house, you'll be able to access your save games/extra content/whatever from there (assuming you have broadband connectivity at both places)?

That would be a killer feature.  I never remember to take my memory card with me when I visit my friends as it is.  I doubt this will be implemented unfortunately.  And that's OK with me.  I assume you'll be able to use the SD cards or a USB memory stick to transfer data around.
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: May 14, 2006, 02:36:09 AM »

And in the continuation of how the PS3 will be $600 (or also known as the $500 console is utterly gimped), it's been reported today that you'll be getting wired controllers with the 'cheaper' console, with no option of going wireless.
But perhaps more disappointing is that wireless bluetooth controllers won't be supported; instead, gamers will have to make do with retro-style wired-up versions of the increasingly controversial PS3 pad.

So...why is the $500 console still available? And who's exactly gonna buy it?

'Identical functionality' my ass.

EDIT: Digging around further, I'm now seeing conflicting reports of if it'll support wireless controllers or not. The spec sheet says it'll have Bluetooth, but the link above states otherwise.

Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

Thirty. Minutes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: May 15, 2006, 02:17:53 PM »

This is form if the word "identical" that I previously was not aware of.

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: