http://gamingtrend.com
September 30, 2014, 10:28:47 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 12   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Borderlands - Reviews, impressions and discussions  (Read 20298 times)
Harkonis
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« Reply #320 on: October 31, 2009, 08:16:23 AM »

the game at 50 is definitely not a walk in the park.  It can be fun just to walk around Old Haven fighting stuff that's truly badass smile

I suggest that if you want the most mileage out of coop, whenever alone just play the main story missions since you can't progress those in coop if not synched.  Side missions you can do at any time in coop even if nobody else in the game has that mission.  So if you finish all the main story you can just tag along doing all the side quests with anyone and not miss a beat.
KePoW

View Profile
« Reply #321 on: October 31, 2009, 04:15:18 PM »

Quote from: mytocles on October 31, 2009, 07:34:38 AM

Agreed, all but the part about it being lame and boring, and way too easy - I don't doubt that it was that way for you, but I'm not a super gamer and I found the difficulty just right.  It's not terribly hard - until certain bosses - but very hard at points, for an average gamer, imo.

I'm strictly talking about multiplayer, especially when you have 3 or 4 people.  I thought single-player was fine and decent difficulty, no complaints about that.

But MP is seriously too easy, at least in Playthrough 1.  Also, when I say that I mean if all players are around the same level and doing the normal quest progression.  Obviously if one person is like 10 levels below everyone else, they're not going to be doing much.
mytocles

View Profile
« Reply #322 on: October 31, 2009, 05:19:20 PM »

Ah, I see... all I've played so far is single player and co-op.  I can't handle too many enemies at one time on the screen, and I can't take too many party members either, since I end up wasting bullets on them!  Yesterday, Metal and I were co-op'ing and he was playing his Berserker... I kept trying to shoot him; to me and my wildly swinging reticule, he looked like a Bruiser.   icon_biggrin

Mytocles (MY-toe-cleez)

"Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most!"
- I don't remember who said it, and probably neither do they...
Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #323 on: October 31, 2009, 05:21:55 PM »

Query: Is any of the meatbags better at handling specific weapons than others, or is just mainly skills that cater to the weapons that makes it better for say the hunter to use sniper rifles or pistols (refered to as Revolvers for some reason in some places)?

A new one
KePoW

View Profile
« Reply #324 on: October 31, 2009, 05:44:51 PM »

Quote from: Razgon on October 31, 2009, 05:21:55 PM

Query: Is any of the meatbags better at handling specific weapons than others, or is just mainly skills that cater to the weapons that makes it better for say the hunter to use sniper rifles or pistols (refered to as Revolvers for some reason in some places)?

It's really just the Skills.

Brick can use a sniper rifle just fine if his proficiency is high.
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #325 on: October 31, 2009, 05:48:49 PM »

As stated, yes, some classes get bonuses to certain weapons. But there's absolutely nothing limiting you to using other weapons (or even not getting the skills that boost those weapons in the first place). My Soldier carries around a rifle, shotgun, pistol (currently my best weapon at 25ish) and a rocket launcher. I only get bonuses in the first two, and I haven't even gotten said skills because the bonuses aren't worth it.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
mytocles

View Profile
« Reply #326 on: October 31, 2009, 06:34:06 PM »

Sorry, Raz! I had the following answer ready right after you asked the question, but then the phone rang... damn real life interrupting gaming, grrrr!   Tongue

I can probably explain better with an example (from a borderlands wikia site):

Lilith is essentially the mage of the group, using her Siren powers to support the group and attack the enemy and can also use her Elemental weapons to attack the enemy. Lilith could also be treated as the rogue of the group with her Phasewalk ability turning her invisible for a short time allowing her to sneak around at an increased speed, her Assassin skill tree giving her more melee/critical damage and her Controller skill tree giving her the ability to daze which can be helpful if you are playing alone.

Her Elementalist tree adds bonuses for weapons that employ static, incendiary, and corrosive damage.

There is more info there that might help you, although there are some empty spots as usually is true of an early wiki, the character section is pretty good.

icon_razz

Mytocles (MY-toe-cleez)

Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #327 on: October 31, 2009, 08:45:44 PM »

Quote from: Destructor on October 31, 2009, 05:48:49 PM

As stated, yes, some classes get bonuses to certain weapons. But there's absolutely nothing limiting you to using other weapons (or even not getting the skills that boost those weapons in the first place). My Soldier carries around a rifle, shotgun, pistol (currently my best weapon at 25ish) and a rocket launcher. I only get bonuses in the first two, and I haven't even gotten said skills because the bonuses aren't worth it.

the bonuses that any class gets on their weapon skills are really good, you are overlooking them.  The only one of debatable use is the shotgun one since we don't know what they mean by + spread and that songs like a negative.  The improved recoil control on the combat rifle skill is extremely useful and can allow you to put all shots of a burst in the crit zone instead of just the first.
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #328 on: October 31, 2009, 11:50:15 PM »

I want Forza 3... if someone wants to buy Borderlands from me, let me know.  Will be posting in the trade forum shortly.
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #329 on: November 02, 2009, 12:14:42 AM »

Yeah, I knew about that. Wondered why some weapons had zoom features when it wasn't listed and figured it out.

If only the devs weren't lazy fucks and actually made 'a UI designed for PC players' instead of forcing the PC users to hack something workable together...

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Chaz

View Profile
« Reply #330 on: November 02, 2009, 02:13:06 AM »

In their defense, the bug is in effect for consolers too.  At least the PC can hack around it a little bit. 

Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #331 on: November 02, 2009, 05:54:31 AM »

Quote from: Chaz on November 02, 2009, 02:13:06 AM

In their defense, the bug is in effect for consolers too.  At least the PC can hack around it a little bit. 

I just don't get it.

The game AS DESIGNED is a loot-fest. Your entire GOAL in the game is to get bigger and better guns, shields, and items. How in the world could it make ANY sense that the more 'rare' weapons will NEVER reveal all of what they have on them? Who green-lighted that idea?

Chaz

View Profile
« Reply #332 on: November 02, 2009, 06:12:54 AM »

Quote from: Destructor on November 02, 2009, 05:54:31 AM

Quote from: Chaz on November 02, 2009, 02:13:06 AM

I just don't get it.

The game AS DESIGNED is a loot-fest. Your entire GOAL in the game is to get bigger and better guns, shields, and items. How in the world could it make ANY sense that the more 'rare' weapons will NEVER reveal all of what they have on them? Who green-lighted that idea?

My point was that the bug isn't the devs being lazy and screwing up the PC interface, it's that the interface is just generally screwed up.  I have some theories about how something like that might have gotten into the final version.  My leading theory is that is wasn't noticed until late enough that changing the font size was going to be too risky, so it was waived.  I could definitely see that being overlooked because after many months of staring at the game in development, the human factor kicks in, and things are overlooked.  Especially something like this where there are thousands and thousands of guns, and it's not immediately obvious that certain guns have more than four lines of stats.

It's definitely a bad bug, and I do hope they fix it.  However, it's not terribly unusual that something like this gets shipped in order for the game to make Christmas.  A one-month delay (or even a two week delay) would have had the game releasing this week or the week after, smack on top of two other heavyweight games aimed at the exact same audience.  Doing that may very well have killed the game at retail instead of allowing it to be an apparent success.

spigot

All of the bacon and eggs you have.

View Profile
« Reply #333 on: November 02, 2009, 05:29:42 PM »

So I just beat it this past weekend. Solo'd with a soldier. I don't have a regular group to play with and have no desire to replay the flaccid and disappointing story (which was my mistake in assuming it mattered at all in this game, shame on me) on a 2nd playthrough despite the minor urge to get some orange flavored unique loot. It was fun while it lasted. The last few levels felt like it went on too long, though.

XBL GamerTag: RoboSim
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #334 on: November 02, 2009, 10:20:07 PM »

makes me glad that I don't play the games for the story.  Finished 4 playthroughs and still having a blast. 

The story sucks, and playing solo is boring though.  No wonder you can't get into it.
mytocles

View Profile
« Reply #335 on: November 03, 2009, 10:09:46 AM »

Quote from: Harkonis on November 02, 2009, 10:20:07 PM

makes me glad that I don't play the games for the story.  Finished 4 playthroughs and still having a blast. 

The story sucks, and playing solo is boring though.  No wonder you can't get into it.

Agreed on the story - luckily, I've been on a JRPG binge of late, so the lack of complicated story was actually somewhat of a relief.  I don't agree on the playing solo is boring, though - if you are an "average gamer" - it's not boring fighting for your life all the time, lol.

I'm probably only going to do one complete playthrough, and maybe a little tinkering with the other jobs, but I am unapologetically enamored of this game.  It may be boring to some, or maybe you're one of the folks that ran into a lot of glitches, but I didn't.  To me, it was a breath of fresh FPS air - simple, exciting, sometimes challenging/ frustrating, but just a fun, fun game overall.

That's my story and I'm sticking with it!

icon_razz

Mytocles (MY-toe-cleez)

Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #336 on: November 03, 2009, 11:15:46 AM »

second playthrough was a lot more fulfilling for me.
Bob

View Profile
« Reply #337 on: November 03, 2009, 03:11:21 PM »

Quote from: Harkonis on November 03, 2009, 11:15:46 AM

second playthrough was a lot more fulfilling for me.
The group I've been playing with just started 2nd playthrough last night, and it's immediately more interesting.  I had to respec my hunter right away and stop using any kill-triggered skills, they just weren't firing off often enough to justify the points (in a co-op situation.)  Switched to a stunning bird spam with a ranger mod.  I can pretty much keep the bird out at all times and most of the enemies stunned so the rest of the party can kill them.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2009, 05:11:39 PM by Bob » Logged
Roguetad

View Profile
« Reply #338 on: November 03, 2009, 03:23:57 PM »

I already have 35 hours into the game, mostly solo, and it's fun for me.  The fun part may depend on your class though.  It seems like the soldier is much better suited for co-op, and somewhat boring in single player.  Too easy for the first play through?  

I definitely have not been bored with Mordecai in single player.  It has not been easy for me, which makes every fight challenging and fun.  He doesn't have the health and shields of Brick or Roland, and can't just plop down a turret to regen health and ammo.  Even with my Gunslinger tree mostly maxed out, I still have to move and pick smart fights.  He goes down pretty fast to focus fire.  Just when I start feeling like a killing machine, I run into something like a rocket firing Badass Bruiser who cleans my clock and send me back to respawn.  

I got a sniper rifle last night with 3x explosive effect, with a very high elemental chance.  I was cracking up watching body and leg shots from my sniper rifle blow dudes apart.  That will never get old.  
« Last Edit: November 03, 2009, 03:26:03 PM by Roguetad » Logged
Chaz

View Profile
« Reply #339 on: November 03, 2009, 03:35:53 PM »

I've got a hunter up to lvl 20 in single player, and I really like him.  My preferred style of gameplay (at least single player) is generally very cautious, fighting at a distance, etc, which is exactly what he excels at.  I picked up a purple lvl 15 sniper rifle when I was lvl 12 that has a 4x explosive effect, and it's the only thing I've used since.  The elemental effect triggers most of the time, and there's a nice AoE effect with it that's good when they're clustered.  I'm usually using either a shotgun or SMG for when they get too close.

Roguetad

View Profile
« Reply #340 on: November 03, 2009, 04:00:16 PM »

Quote from: Chaz on November 03, 2009, 03:35:53 PM

I'm usually using either a shotgun or SMG for when they get too close.

I did the same thing with my hunter until about level 20, relying on shotguns and SMGs for mid to close range fighting.  Since I started getting the hang of using revolvers post level 20, I haven't touched a shotgun or SMG.  I have 2 sniper rifles that I swap out of the top weapon slot depending on the situation (1 is the 3x explosive sniper rifle, the other is a 4x corrosive for taking down high armored targets).  My 3 remaining weapon slots are revolvers and a pistol:  1 revolver with a 6 round chamber and a scope that deals insane damage with great accuracy at long and mid range (but fires slower), 1 revolver with 3x explosive with extremely high damage and a fast rate of fire with a 3 round chamber for very close fighting, and Krom's sidearm which is a pistol that fires powerful shock rounds with a 12 round mag that f's up anything with shields.  I also keep an incendiary revolver in the backup in case I need it.

If I get rushed after sniping, out come the revolvers followed by exploding heads and body parts.  They take a little more careful aiming than a shotgun, but revolvers pack a serious punch.  And if that doesn't work, I have lethal strike maxed for anything that slips through, and that usually does the trick.  That's mostly for solo stuff.  I really wouldn't see a need for lethal strike in coop.   

coopasonic

View Profile WWW
« Reply #341 on: November 03, 2009, 04:13:34 PM »

Quote from: Roguetad on November 03, 2009, 03:23:57 PM

It seems like the soldier is much better suited for co-op, and somewhat boring in single player.  Too easy for the first play through?  

I have a 31 soldier and find it anything but boring. Maybe I chose all the wrong skills or something, but in the last few levels it has been anything but easy. There was a time in the low to mid 20s where all the missions were 3-4 levels below me, but now that I am fighting even or nearly even enemies it's a lot more challenging... and even when it was easy it was still damn fun.  icon_twisted

It was this moment that took the movie from being a little ho-hum to “holy shit, did that shark just eat a plane!?”
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #342 on: November 03, 2009, 05:17:39 PM »

If you're playing a hunter I definitely suggest Out for Blood.  Heals me to full everytime.  Pro-Tip:  Hit LB a second time to cause Bloodwing to immediately return to you, thus allowing you the instant heal instead of waiting for him to hit all available targets.
Bob

View Profile
« Reply #343 on: November 03, 2009, 06:44:53 PM »

Quote from: Harkonis on November 03, 2009, 05:17:39 PM

Pro-Tip:  Hit LB a second time to cause Bloodwing to immediately return to you, thus allowing you the instant heal instead of waiting for him to hit all available targets.

I did not know that.  I've been hunkering down behind cover and waiting, hoping he'd come back in time.
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #344 on: November 03, 2009, 07:35:22 PM »

he sometimes gets stuck on geometry though, in which case you just don't get your heal at all slywink
Caine

My cocaine

View Profile WWW
« Reply #345 on: November 03, 2009, 08:51:58 PM »

yeah, i can definitely say that i'm having fun as the soldier.  i've upped my sniper skill enough to reduce the weapon sway and i actually use that a fair amount, even without perks, as it percs all the time with incendiary attacks.  closer up, i swap to an AR (157 damage, 45 in the clip, no natural weapon sway) for crit shots.  if i'm even the least bit protected, i can take out most enemies in 1 burst, badasses in two.  i have a kickass mg Hark gave me that holds almost three hundred rounds for crowd control and a unique shotgun (damage 300+, fires 6 rounds all at once) that shreds anything that gets close.  i barely use the turret any more except as a diversion.  throw it down and flank.  once i get more points to spend, i'll improve it again. 

the biggest problem i have is in the arenas as you don't get enough places for good cover and many of the baddies have explosive launchers.  i scraped by the final round of the second arena even though it was rated 4 levels below me.

mytocles

View Profile
« Reply #346 on: November 03, 2009, 09:13:48 PM »

I have a question about the elemental Artifacts:  I have two I've been carting around that give me the "you can't use that" message.  I've already used two for each of those particular categories, and it's not a level limit issue (there isn't one listed, or I'm already past it, I forget which.)  Soooo... anyone know if there is a limit of two Artifacts per element, so I can sell them, or hang onto for possible future use?

icon_razz

Mytocles (MY-toe-cleez)

Bob

View Profile
« Reply #347 on: November 03, 2009, 10:16:52 PM »

It means you already have that level of artifact.  Sell it.
mytocles

View Profile
« Reply #348 on: November 03, 2009, 10:18:46 PM »

Quote from: Bob on November 03, 2009, 10:16:52 PM

It means you already have that level of artifact.  Sell it.

Good timing, Bob - I was just leaving New Haven, now I can dump a few more items before I go.

Thanks! 

icon_razz

Mytocles (MY-toe-cleez)

metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #349 on: November 09, 2009, 07:58:48 PM »

DLC coming November 24th

http://news.teamxbox.com/xbox/21439/Borderlands-DLC-Release-Date-Announced/

The Zombie Island of Dr.Ned

800 points

Manchester United Premier League Champions 2013!!

Xbox LIVE:Metallicorphan
Wii:8565 1513 0206 1960
PSN:Metallicorphan
Caine

My cocaine

View Profile WWW
« Reply #350 on: November 09, 2009, 08:10:39 PM »

darn, i will have sent the game back to gamefly by then. 

in fact, tonight's the last night for me.  i have to have it in the mail to hopefully get l4d2 next week.  it's make it or break it time for level 50 and that damned "why is this so freaking hard?" mario achievement to complete the game.

jztemple2

View Profile
« Reply #351 on: November 09, 2009, 09:27:52 PM »

Quote from: metallicorphan on November 09, 2009, 07:58:48 PM

DLC coming November 24th

800 points

Will they have fixed the attributes problem by then as well?

True, but when the snarky comment is served on a platter, you don't wait for the napkin. - Bullwinkle
whiteboyskim
Senior Staff Writer

Hard partier

View Profile
« Reply #352 on: November 10, 2009, 03:41:41 AM »

Quote from: metallicorphan on November 09, 2009, 07:58:48 PM

DLC coming November 24th

800 points

That may be the best name for anything ever.

Behold the glory of my new blog!
Filmmaking is vision plus faith plus balls, all 3 of which Hollywood knows little about.
Glycerine

View Profile
« Reply #353 on: November 12, 2009, 09:46:58 PM »

I can't wait, hopefully that's not the only DLC planned.  I'm having a blast with the game, and more of it is pure bliss.

metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #354 on: November 12, 2009, 11:21:23 PM »

Quote from: Glycerine on November 12, 2009, 09:46:58 PM

I can't wait, hopefully that's not the only DLC planned.  I'm having a blast with the game, and more of it is pure bliss.

well,the sequel is a no brainer apparently..no pun intended on the Zombie DLC..Braaaaiiiiiinnnnsss

http://kotaku.com/5402722/borderlands-sequel-a-no+brainer

however,you will be pleased to know that Zombie Island of Dr Ned DLC is the first of many planned

http://www.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3176506

Borderlands' barren wasteland setting isn't the only aspect of the game that's following in Fallout 3's radiation-bathed footsteps; like Bethesda's game, it's also going to play host to a series of post-release, downloadable add-ons. Gearbox announced today that "The Zombie Island of Dr. Ned" will be the first of several planned DLC expansions for Borderlands.

Manchester United Premier League Champions 2013!!

Xbox LIVE:Metallicorphan
Wii:8565 1513 0206 1960
PSN:Metallicorphan
jztemple2

View Profile
« Reply #355 on: November 18, 2009, 02:14:41 AM »

The patch is out for the PC that fixes (among other things) the missing item list problem. Anyone hear of a fix coming to the console versions?

True, but when the snarky comment is served on a platter, you don't wait for the napkin. - Bullwinkle
happydog

View Profile
« Reply #356 on: November 24, 2009, 10:38:43 PM »

Looks like Zombie Island is now available. I will probably wait until my wife and I finish the main story before grabbing it.

LiveTAG: happydog
The Grue

You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

View Profile
« Reply #357 on: November 24, 2009, 10:43:32 PM »

You know what would be awesome instead of DLC?  Fixing the item stat list bug.

XBox Live ID: The Grue
Playstation Network Name: TheGrue
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #358 on: November 24, 2009, 10:43:55 PM »

Quote from: happydog on November 24, 2009, 10:38:43 PM

Looks like Zombie Island is now available. I will probably wait until my wife and I finish the main story before grabbing it.

Apparently, you can do it any time, and the enemies scale accordingly.  You may not want to wait, as it could give you a nice couple of extra levels.

Eurogamer really liked it, giving it 8/10.

Whatever the time of year, then, Halloween and Borderlands is a great match, and if this is the way the game's DLC is going to unfold, I'd happily have a dozen of these quirky, colourful offshoots to plough through. Zombies were never going to let Gearbox down too badly, of course, but I left Doctor Ned's island with the feeling that somebody had taken real care over the whole experience, crafting the story with love and wit.

If nothing else, it's entirely fitting that a game that's always been brilliantly brainless is now genuinely brain-dead as well. Oh, and I finally got that bloody Mario-themed Achievement. SCORE.

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
jztemple2

View Profile
« Reply #359 on: November 25, 2009, 12:52:35 AM »

Quote from: The Grue on November 24, 2009, 10:43:32 PM

You know what would be awesome instead of DLC?  Fixing the item stat list bug.

True that.

Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 12   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: