http://gamingtrend.com
October 26, 2014, 02:57:51 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 12   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Borderlands - Reviews, impressions and discussions  (Read 20437 times)
Dreamshadow
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile WWW
« Reply #160 on: October 22, 2009, 07:02:26 PM »

Quote from: jztemple2 on October 22, 2009, 06:48:49 PM

I'm having a problem with the Scavenger: Combat Rifle mission:

Spoiler for Hiden:
I can't find the damn sight. I've got the other pieces and according to the map I'm standing on the damn thing on this multi-level platform but I just can't seem to find it. Anyone know where it is?

had the same problem...don't recall exactly where it is..but the waypoint is wrong.

Tom "Dreamshadow" Tjarks
Aunt Wu: Care to hear your fortune, handsome?
Iroh: At my age there is really only one big surprise left, and I'd just as soon leave it a mystery.
TK-421

View Profile
« Reply #161 on: October 22, 2009, 07:20:40 PM »

I'm wondering why the setting is always described as post-apocalyptic.  I was under the assumption that the planet was basically a shit hole and what few settlements were put up were ramshackle affairs that saw very little maintenance in the intervening years.   That, to me, is less post-apocalyptic and more inner city Detroit.

Or is there something in the story/game that indicates that Pandora was once a thriving fertile land?

Open the blast doors!  Open the blast doors!
Bob

View Profile
« Reply #162 on: October 22, 2009, 08:00:12 PM »

It's easier to say post-apocalyptic.  Everyone knows that means like Mad Max or Fallout.

And one expects that at one time there must have been more going on.  How else to explain why there are so many bandits and so few normal people?
Hiccup
Gaming Trend Reader

I have personal text.

View Profile
« Reply #163 on: October 22, 2009, 08:10:20 PM »

Quote from: Dreamshadow on October 22, 2009, 07:02:26 PM

Spoiler for Hiden:
I can't find the damn sight. I've got the other pieces and according to the map I'm standing on the damn thing on this multi-level platform but I just can't seem to find it. Anyone know where it is?

had the same problem...don't recall exactly where it is..but the waypoint is wrong.

The waypoint for the "Scavenger" quests is just showing the area, not the individual pieces.  Best thing I've found for these is to do them at night since the pieces are bright glowy green and easier to spot.

Just a little hiccup.
Doopri

View Profile
« Reply #164 on: October 22, 2009, 08:42:20 PM »

I'm wondering why the setting is always described as post-apocalyptic.  I was under the assumption that the planet was basically a shit hole and what few settlements were put up were ramshackle affairs that saw very little maintenance in the intervening years.   That, to me, is less post-apocalyptic and more inner city Detroit.

ya like bob said its very much "mad max" inspired, from some of the actual environments, to the ramshackle buildings and makeshift vehicles to the spike attired bandits (though i suppose detroit isnt far off smile  or maybe LA what with the spikes and all)

i guess "backwater hostile shit hole" fits as well though
jztemple2

View Profile
« Reply #165 on: October 22, 2009, 08:48:39 PM »

Quote from: Hiccup on October 22, 2009, 08:10:20 PM

Quote from: Dreamshadow on October 22, 2009, 07:02:26 PM

Spoiler for Hiden:

The waypoint for the "Scavenger" quests is just showing the area, not the individual pieces.  Best thing I've found for these is to do them at night since the pieces are bright glowy green and easier to spot.

Cripes, really? Sheesh, now I've got to go back there and find them, it's really bothering me  slywink

Wow, I am having such a gas with this game. Honestly I figured it was just too many weeks between Operation Flashpoint Dragon Rising and Forza 3 so I figured I'd pick up Borderlands for something to do. Now I kind of wish I wasn't so spun up on playing Forza 3 because I'm enjoying Borderlands so much. More than Fallout 3 icon_eek

I figure I can explain why I like it in ten reasons:
1) A lot of guns.
2) Missions that do have some variety, but aren't tedious.
3) Seriously, a freaking lot of guns.
4) A nice balance between traveling and action. I really don't mind having to go kill skags again when I re-enter an area, since they dump all sorts of loot, making it worthwhile.
5) Nice boss battles, at least the ones I have have come across. Like Getting The Mine Key. Very nicely laid out approach, an interesting battle site, unexpected but well done sudden intermediate goal, decent but not too impossible challenge.
6) Did I mention the guns?
7) Well done inventory challenge. Not too many slots so that you can carry almost infinite amounts of stuff, but not too strict that you can't hold on to an item which will be useful once you level up.
8.) Excellent use of the third dimension. There are overlooks and platforms and elevated terrain so that it makes a difference on how you plan your approach.
9) A good sense of humor in the writing, the dialogs and the voice acting.
10) There is a gun that fires bullets that spiral. Really. It's so cool to watch.

Anyone have a link to a site that gives better info on things like shock, fire, green goo, blue goo, etc in the game? I refuse to have to pony up for the strategy guide.

Now, if I could just remember to use my damn Bloodwing!

True, but when the snarky comment is served on a platter, you don't wait for the napkin. - Bullwinkle
jztemple2

View Profile
« Reply #166 on: October 22, 2009, 09:49:12 PM »

Quote from: Hiccup on October 22, 2009, 08:10:20 PM

Very much thanks for the help. I went back to both Scavenger quests and did find everything  thumbsup thumbsup thumbsup

True, but when the snarky comment is served on a platter, you don't wait for the napkin. - Bullwinkle
Devil

View Profile
« Reply #167 on: October 22, 2009, 11:20:23 PM »

OK, now if I get this stupid piece of crap game and play with you clowns, will I be so far behind that I'll suck worse than usual?

XBox Gamertag: Devil13Devil
Wii Number: 0305 6568 6417 2609
PS3 Thing: Slived
MaxSteele

View Profile
« Reply #168 on: October 22, 2009, 11:43:36 PM »

Quote from: Devil on October 22, 2009, 11:20:23 PM

OK, now if I get this stupid piece of crap game and play with you clowns, will I be so far behind that I'll suck worse than usual?

I can only speak for myself, but I plan on creating multiple characters and playing each one.  I won't have any problems selecting a lower-level character to equally match who I'm playing with.

Tonight is my night reversal night (I go from a 10am - 8pm work shift to a 7:30pm - 5:30am work shift), so I will be playing from 11pm - 5am pacific time. smile
Lockdown

LD

View Profile
« Reply #169 on: October 23, 2009, 10:32:14 AM »

This game is very addicting.

It is essentially the same type of game as Hellgate London, but for some odd reason seems to be quite a bit more fun.  I can't figure out why.

LD

"Let your enemies fear, for a harlequin of the Laughing God dances at your side."
Hiccup
Gaming Trend Reader

I have personal text.

View Profile
« Reply #170 on: October 23, 2009, 12:43:04 PM »

Quote from: Lockdown on October 23, 2009, 10:32:14 AM

It is essentially the same type of game as Hellgate London, but for some odd reason seems to be quite a bit more fun.  I can't figure out why.

I can, the number of reasons rivals Borderlands gun collection.  (But yes, this is what Hellgate *should* have been like.)

Just a little hiccup.
pingwrx

View Profile
« Reply #171 on: October 23, 2009, 02:01:52 PM »

Quote from: Lockdown on October 23, 2009, 10:32:14 AM

I think because this game just brings out the lootwhores and gun collecting maniacs in us.  icon_biggrin

XBL gamertag: pingwrx
PS3-PS4 pingwrx
Soulchilde

You and I have unfinished business

View Profile
« Reply #172 on: October 23, 2009, 03:20:17 PM »

Driving mechanic could be better.  The control scheme for consoles they used sucks all kind of balls.  Using the left stick forward/backwards and right stick for left/right just doesn't makes sense

Quote from: Devil on January 12, 2007, 01:14:38 AM

NiM$
Qantaga

View Profile
« Reply #173 on: October 23, 2009, 04:12:23 PM »

Well, thanks to the very strong forum effect for this game, especially since I see that Myto and Doopri (two of my fellow Sacred 2 addictees) are enjoying the game, I took the plunge and picked up the game last night. I only got Lilith up to level 5, but it was quite fun in that little bit of time. I loved the opening video. It gave a great feel going into the game and I really enjoy the look of the world. Unfortunately, I'm on my way out of town until Sunday, so I won't get to try any more until then.

Now, all I have to do is figure out how to allocate my precious gaming time... Demon's Souls, Borderlands, Torchlight, Dragon Age: Origins among others.  eek eek eek

Xbox Live: Sukaro
PSN: Suroka

Until I die I'll sing these songs on the shores of Babylon
Still looking for a home in a world where I belong

~Switchfoot
Caine

My cocaine

View Profile WWW
« Reply #174 on: October 23, 2009, 04:33:42 PM »

i was able to get in a bit of gaming this morning and got the soldier to level 4.  the loot is a strong draw, and i'm enjoying the missions and the promise of something new.  the special of the day from the vendor is a pretty odd feature, but i like it.  makes it feel like you might be able to snag a great piece of equipment now and again. 

i'll have more time in game this weekend and hope to play the mp a lot.

Roguetad

View Profile
« Reply #175 on: October 23, 2009, 04:40:11 PM »

Quote from: Soulchilde on October 23, 2009, 03:20:17 PM

Driving mechanic could be better.  The control scheme for consoles they used sucks all kind of balls.  Using the left stick forward/backwards and right stick for left/right just doesn't makes sense

Driving in Borderlands is like driving a warthog from Halo, which made it easy for me to pick up since that control scheme was very familiar to me.  It's the actual feel of the driving that seems off to me.  Someone else mentioned that the vehicles seemed too light, and that was my impression too.  They don't have enough weight to them, and are a little too jumpy and twitchy.  Getting used to the single player weapon controls in addition to the driving was a little wierd at first.  Moving both thumbsticks, holding down the A button, and then pulling the left trigger was funky for me at first...and tapping the left bumper for a speed boost.  It took a few minutes for my brain wiring to catch up.  

Edited to add:  Oh you meant that pushing the right stick left and right makes it go in those directions?  That's weird.  I just drove it like I did a warthog, the right stick I used to spin the camera around to where I want to go, and then push the left stick forward to give it throttle.  
« Last Edit: October 23, 2009, 11:16:16 PM by Roguetad » Logged
KePoW

View Profile
« Reply #176 on: October 23, 2009, 05:18:01 PM »

The driving is just like Halo, which many millions of people have played and loved.  If you can drive in Halo, you can do the same in Borderlands.
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #177 on: October 23, 2009, 06:15:01 PM »

I hate the Halo style driving controls slywink

they are way too touchy for one.
happydog

View Profile
« Reply #178 on: October 23, 2009, 06:47:53 PM »

Played more last night and had a hard time shutting it off. Took out someone two levels above me, that was quite the challenge.

Two complaints so far:
- The guns on the vehicle (the first one) suck. Shoot 100 bullets, score 1 hit. But on the other hand running stuff over works great. Easy XP right there.
- I have gotten stuck a couple times. One time was my fault as I was trying to get somewhere I wasn't supposed to be. The second time I just fell off the edge of some stairs and couldn't move then. I really hope I don't loose much from that one, I don't know exactly how the saving works (other than it is automatic).

LiveTAG: happydog
Covenant

View Profile
« Reply #179 on: October 23, 2009, 06:52:10 PM »

Just picked this up last night. Very fun!  First time I set someone on fire with my ammo, I was grinning ear to ear.  I like that you can equip yourself for more DOT rather than direct damage, as I'm pretty mobilie, but not very dextrous/accurate. Seems like lots of different playstyles will be possible in here.
Roguetad

View Profile
« Reply #180 on: October 23, 2009, 07:00:27 PM »

Quote from: happydog on October 23, 2009, 06:47:53 PM

Two complaints so far:
- The guns on the vehicle (the first one) suck. Shoot 100 bullets, score 1 hit. But on the other hand running stuff over works great. Easy XP right there.

I was able to select a missile or gun variant right from the start.  The vehicle with the missile launcher is awesome.  You should be able to select it from the vehicle menu.   
KePoW

View Profile
« Reply #181 on: October 23, 2009, 07:10:19 PM »

Quote from: Roguetad on October 23, 2009, 07:00:27 PM

Quote from: happydog on October 23, 2009, 06:47:53 PM

Two complaints so far:

I was able to select a missile or gun variant right from the start.  The vehicle with the missile launcher is awesome.  You should be able to select it from the vehicle menu.   

Yeah the rocket launcher is pretty powerful and effective (in addition to running people over of course).

But the machine gun sucks ass, don't even bother using it happydog.
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #182 on: October 23, 2009, 08:30:19 PM »

if you get stuck, just hit start, choose quit, and it saves.  puts you back where you last  checkpointed.
kathode

View Profile
« Reply #183 on: October 23, 2009, 09:29:23 PM »

The thing that annoys me more than anything else is that "hold-x" is used both for sucking up ammo, which I always want to do, and replacing your current gun with what you're highlighting, which I never want to do.  I'm only level 11 and I've probably switched my gun by accident 20 times or more.
Caine

My cocaine

View Profile WWW
« Reply #184 on: October 23, 2009, 09:32:08 PM »

Quote from: kathode on October 23, 2009, 09:29:23 PM

The thing that annoys me more than anything else is that "hold-x" is used both for sucking up ammo, which I always want to do, and replacing your current gun with what you're highlighting, which I never want to do.  I'm only level 11 and I've probably switched my gun by accident 20 times or more.

so that's what that was.  that is annoying.  i got this as a rental and no manual, so if it was explained at some point on screen, i missed it.  beyond that, i kind of find the requirement to look directly at the ammo to pick it up somewhat annoying too.  if it picked up anything within reach, i would be much happier.

Dreamshadow

View Profile WWW
« Reply #185 on: October 23, 2009, 09:38:52 PM »

The Hold X to suck up items only works on non-gear items (Ammo, Grenades, money).  It never works on shields, Grenade mods, Class Modes, Artifacts, or weapons.

Tom "Dreamshadow" Tjarks
Aunt Wu: Care to hear your fortune, handsome?
Iroh: At my age there is really only one big surprise left, and I'd just as soon leave it a mystery.
happydog

View Profile
« Reply #186 on: October 23, 2009, 10:03:12 PM »

Quote from: Harkonis on October 23, 2009, 08:30:19 PM

if you get stuck, just hit start, choose quit, and it saves.  puts you back where you last  checkpointed.

That's what I figured, but it was 1:30 last night when I quit so I didn't get to check.

Going to get me a car with a rocket next time I play, see how that goes.

LiveTAG: happydog
kathode

View Profile
« Reply #187 on: October 23, 2009, 10:21:07 PM »

Quote from: Dreamshadow on October 23, 2009, 09:38:52 PM

The Hold X to suck up items only works on non-gear items (Ammo, Grenades, money).  It never works on shields, Grenade mods, Class Modes, Artifacts, or weapons.

That's exactly the problem.  It works one way for something, then works completely differently and annoyingly for other stuff.
jztemple2

View Profile
« Reply #188 on: October 23, 2009, 11:38:15 PM »

The Borderlands Effect

Lockdown

LD

View Profile
« Reply #189 on: October 24, 2009, 04:09:24 AM »

Speaking of finding great guns... I found a blue Sniper Rifle tonight that just kicks so much ass.  Minimum requirement = level 10.  About 6 kills after picking it up, I turned level 10.  I love when that happens.

I seriously can not believe how much fun I'm having with this game at the moment.

LD

"Let your enemies fear, for a harlequin of the Laughing God dances at your side."
MaxSteele

View Profile
« Reply #190 on: October 24, 2009, 04:26:24 AM »

I had a marathon 7-hour play session last night.  I played on single player for a couple of hours, then I switched over to Xbox Live and created a match for others to join.

The first several people who joined were generally good.  They were all within 1-2 levels of myself and there was a lot of cooperation, helping someone up when they were down, etc...

After those people moved along, I had two people come in who were level 29 and 30 (I was level 17).  This was no fun at all, as they would mow through skags and bandits with one or two shots, then run off down the road leaving loot behind which was good for me, but worthless to them.  By the time I was finished picking items up, they were already done with the next big group encounter and moving along again.  At that point I dropped the match and went back to single player, finishing up my night there.

I am going to try to a different character soon because with Mordecai, I am going through the game very slow, as mentioned above.  In that 7 hours, I went from level 13-18, and I am almost at the end of the Fyrestone portion of the game.  I'm pretty sure others are going through there faster than that and not rushing it.

I will say this, none of that time spent felt tedious, forced, or boring.  While I should be able to go faster, I didn't feel I had to.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2009, 04:34:20 AM by MaxSteele » Logged
Soulchilde

You and I have unfinished business

View Profile
« Reply #191 on: October 24, 2009, 11:37:30 AM »

this game is much better co op.  Last night Hark, Dreamshadow, Jake Smiley &  myself tore thru the the game at a good pace,  Jake started out at lvl 7 and was lvl 18 when we logged,  That put us all within 1 level of each other

Quote from: Devil on January 12, 2007, 01:14:38 AM

NiM$
WinoMcCougarstein

View Profile WWW
« Reply #192 on: October 24, 2009, 07:47:23 PM »

So I had some interest in this game but I've been watching a lot of people playing this over live streams and I can't believe how downright boring it looks.

-Every stream I open looks like they are in the same exact place as the last stream... is there any variation in the game world?
-The game just looks boring, never looks like much interesting going on.  I mean, run and shoot run and shoot sometimes get in a vehicle.
-Does the amount of weapons really make up for any of these issues?

Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #193 on: October 24, 2009, 08:27:48 PM »

Quote from: Soulchilde on October 24, 2009, 11:37:30 AM

this game is much better co op.  Last night Hark, Dreamshadow, Jake Smiley &  myself tore thru the the game at a good pace,  Jake started out at lvl 7 and was lvl 18 when we logged,  That put us all within 1 level of each other

I saw a lot of you guys right now playing the game...just, I'm very jealous..no clue when it arrives here in denmark...

A new one
MaxSteele

View Profile
« Reply #194 on: October 24, 2009, 08:30:50 PM »

Quote from: WinoMcCougarstein on October 24, 2009, 07:47:23 PM

So I had some interest in this game but I've been watching a lot of people playing this over live streams and I can't believe how downright boring it looks.

-Every stream I open looks like they are in the same exact place as the last stream... is there any variation in the game world?
-The game just looks boring, never looks like much interesting going on.  I mean, run and shoot run and shoot sometimes get in a vehicle.

Do you like Diablo at all?  If not, then you probably won't like Borderlands either.
WinoMcCougarstein

View Profile WWW
« Reply #195 on: October 24, 2009, 08:33:03 PM »

Quote from: MaxSteele on October 24, 2009, 08:30:50 PM

Quote from: WinoMcCougarstein on October 24, 2009, 07:47:23 PM

Do you like Diablo at all?  If not, then you probably won't like Borderlands either.

Ah,  I see.  Thanks!

Devil

View Profile
« Reply #196 on: October 24, 2009, 09:23:30 PM »

Best Buy Sale = IN!

See you guys next week!!!

XBox Gamertag: Devil13Devil
Wii Number: 0305 6568 6417 2609
PS3 Thing: Slived
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #197 on: October 24, 2009, 09:38:46 PM »

Quote from: Devil on October 24, 2009, 09:23:30 PM

Best Buy Sale = IN!

See you guys next week!!!

so, who had 5 posts or under to IN! in the pool? Tongue

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #198 on: October 24, 2009, 09:49:08 PM »

A friend and I played co-op last night and had a blast.  The game is pretty much made for co-op.  Heck, certain skills don't seem to do anything for single player for the soldier, unless they change the skills a bit for co-op.

There's more enemies, tougher enemies, and more of a feeling of risk and challenge when playing.

However, I'll say this right now, the Soldier's turret kind of sucks.  It doesn't last nearly long enough.  While it's up it's useful since it does stuff like heal (which I put all 5 points in to) but the gun does only okay damage, the shield around the gun doesn't go high enough to completely block shots while crouched behind it.
jztemple2

View Profile
« Reply #199 on: October 24, 2009, 10:04:17 PM »

Quote from: Soulchilde on October 24, 2009, 11:37:30 AM

Later last night I was playing with Hark, CSL GT, and Jake (IIRC). Unlike last time we were close to each other in level and so it was a lot more fun.

For the someone who posted wondering if there was different terrain, there certainly is. Just last night I went from a cave to a series of buildings around a minehead to a big open plain to an underground catheral-like cavern. I was surprised at the openness of the big plain, hadn't expect it.

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 12   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: