http://gamingtrend.com
December 21, 2014, 08:33:27 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 12   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Borderlands - Reviews, impressions and discussions  (Read 20734 times)
Clanwolfer
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« Reply #120 on: October 21, 2009, 08:27:36 PM »

Gah!  According to EvAv, Borderlands PS3 multi is broken (won't recognize friends list and public server browser takes up to 30 minutes to find a game).

Still getting it.  Thank goodness for split screen.

mytocles

View Profile
« Reply #121 on: October 21, 2009, 08:29:06 PM »

360 here.  

You won't miss me though, I rarely play more than co-op (bad thumbs + multi-player =  tear )

Ahh, I see what you just posted Wolfer, that is terrible!   icon_eek

Mytocles (MY-toe-cleez)

"Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most!"
- I don't remember who said it, and probably neither do they...
Doopri

View Profile
« Reply #122 on: October 21, 2009, 08:51:56 PM »

LOCKDOWN!

(like the shout?) to answer another of your questions - on the 360 version i DID NOT SEE a way to turn off the damage numbers.
Soulchilde

You and I have unfinished business

View Profile
« Reply #123 on: October 21, 2009, 08:53:23 PM »

The force is strong with this one...

Quote from: Devil on January 12, 2007, 01:14:38 AM

NiM$
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #124 on: October 21, 2009, 08:54:43 PM »

Quote from: Soulchilde on October 21, 2009, 08:53:23 PM

it's just as grindy as Aion  ninja
Soulchilde

View Profile
« Reply #125 on: October 21, 2009, 08:56:03 PM »

Quote from: Harkonis on October 21, 2009, 08:54:43 PM

Quote from: Soulchilde on October 21, 2009, 08:53:23 PM

it's just as grindy as Aion  ninja
Really??   icon_eek  Thanks!!

NiM$
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #126 on: October 21, 2009, 09:20:01 PM »

The poll only had 3 votes for PS3.

Quote from: Harkonis on October 21, 2009, 06:43:10 PM

Quote from: TK-421 on October 21, 2009, 02:31:58 PM

Also, is voice communications built into the game or will we need to run a TeamSpeak server?

I think what you're looking for is the PC forum slywink

leave the poor guy alone.  Hell, he can't even find his post.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #127 on: October 21, 2009, 09:40:00 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on October 21, 2009, 09:20:01 PM

The poll only had 3 votes for PS3.

Quote from: Harkonis on October 21, 2009, 06:43:10 PM

Quote from: TK-421 on October 21, 2009, 02:31:58 PM

Also, is voice communications built into the game or will we need to run a TeamSpeak server?

I think what you're looking for is the PC forum slywink

leave the poor guy alone.  Hell, he can't even find his post.

is that why he isn't at it?
Andrew Mallon

View Profile
« Reply #128 on: October 22, 2009, 04:13:38 AM »

Strangely, the game this most reminds me of is Final Fantasy XII. Sure the gameplay is starkly different, but the large, open environments and fetch quests are reminiscent of some of the hunts in FFXII and there's just something about wandering through each area that makes me think about how munch fun I had just exploring Ivalice. I dunno, there's just something about the game's atmosphere that gives me an FFXII vibe.

This game definitely isn't for everyone, though. I've put about two hours into it, and while I've been having a blast so far, It really, really does play like a Diablo-FPS with MMO style quests. That's not necessarily a bad thing, mind you, but it's definitely not a story-driven shooter. If you enjoy wandering for the sake of wandering, this game is for you.

They've also skimped on the presentation, too. Other than the opening scene there hasn't been any cut scenes and NPCs are essentially stationary quest terminals. Most conversations are done via talking heads that pop up in your HUD and you don't even get a voice over narration from the NPC when you accept or turn in a quest.

The combat seems well thought-out, moreso than some of the reviews would lead you to believe. Sure there's only been a hadful of enemy types, but the game does a good job of throwing different mobs at you as you level up. In the first areas you might just find a a few skags, but a few levels later the same mob will consist of skags, a few mutants and a bandit. I've had a lot of fun figuring out which gun works best against each enemy and then frantically trying to switch up weapons in combat without exposing myself to damage. It's the Halo school of design.

Borderlands does enough things right that all the fence sitters should at least give the game a try. This is the right game at the right time for me. I don't really have a ton of time for gaming, so a somewhat-mindless shooter with a thin story, but at least some strategy works for me right now. I can play it in short bursts, drop it for a few weeks and then come back to it without having to worry about forgetting key plot details.

Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #129 on: October 22, 2009, 07:28:30 AM »

To be honest, if they don't improve the presentation in the inevitable sequel (this is Gearbox's first real big hit), I probably won't get it.  But that's just thinking ahead, right now I'm enjoying what's there.
Lockdown

LD

View Profile
« Reply #130 on: October 22, 2009, 09:15:56 AM »

As much as I was looking forward to Borderlands, I have to admit after watching quite a few videos of gameplay, I wasn't sure what to think.  But after playing it last night, I am floored with how much fun I'm having.  The Diablo comparison is a really good one.  I am hooked.

I tried the Sniper and the Soldier up to level 5, and really like them both.  The Siren I played to level 3 I think, and her submachine gun is a pretty awesome first weapon in my opinion.  That gun mows people down but good!  I think I'm leaning toward the Sniper as the class I enjoy the most, but that's probably because I simply love taking off people's head's with the rifle.  (of course, if you saw how long it took me to aim with this freaking thumbstick, you'd laugh.)  That being said, the turret is cool as hell, even at its starter level.  Regarding melee combat - even at level 5, I can see why it's going to be important.  I didn't try Brick yet.  I would imagine he is a beast.

I'm finding the graphic style to be excellent in most cases.  The music fits.  The presentation and UI are fine.  This might sound a bit bizarre (what's new?) - but I think part of the reason I am so pleased with the game is I'm finding it somewhat challenging.  It could have something to do with trying to aim with the thumbstick vs. the mouse, which is fine.  Since I don't have laser-like precision with sniping like so many of the good gamers in here, it is really satisfying to hit a head shot when someone is barrelling toward me with a big knife.  I'm not sure I'd feel the same sense of accomplishment with mouse-aiming.  I will be trying the PC version as well when my brother gets it, so I should be able to compare easily enough.   

I may possibly have contracted the dreaded 'Mytocles Syndrome of Slow Play' though - especially when playing Mordecai.  I find I am playing the game very deliberately (read S-L-O-W).  Not at all the way I expected to approach it.   

Hopefully someone will have a character around level 5 tonight, as now that I've figured out the basics, I would love to try co-op. (Doopri... any low level characters in your stable?)   I am at the point where I need to confront Nine-Toes with both my Sniper and my Soldier.  I figure it will give me a pretty good comparison of how they handle tough tasks, even though it's really early in the game.

Overall, so far, I think Bordlerands rocks.

LD

"Let your enemies fear, for a harlequin of the Laughing God dances at your side."
Soulchilde

View Profile
« Reply #131 on: October 22, 2009, 12:34:52 PM »

Having fun so far and that's a good thing.

NiM$
Roguetad

View Profile
« Reply #132 on: October 22, 2009, 12:38:37 PM »

I played Mordecai for a couple of hours last night (up to level 9), with the intention of focussing on pistols and the Gunslinger tree.  I did ok, switching between sniper rifle and pistol as the situation demanded.  I would really like to improve his sniper rifle, but I think I'll wait until later in the game to respec down the sniper tree.  For now, I'm going to stick with improving pistols, picking up the kill-health regen skill, and maybe a couple of skills in the Rogue tree.  

I started the game horribly inneffective with the sniper rifle, mostly due to me fighting the thumbstick to aim.  I have a decent sniper rifle now, so I can drop most baddies with even a grossly aimed shot to the body...or at least really hurt them.  I haven't found the game to be easy playing Mordecai, at least not yet.    

Oh and Mordecai would be awesome if he had a dual pistol skill in the Gunslinger tree.  I would love to be able to have a revolver in each hand.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2009, 12:41:40 PM by Roguetad » Logged
KJ
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #133 on: October 22, 2009, 12:41:22 PM »

Quote from: Clanwolfer on October 21, 2009, 08:27:36 PM

Gah!  According to EvAv, Borderlands PS3 multi is broken (won't recognize friends list and public server browser takes up to 30 minutes to find a game).

Still getting it.  Thank goodness for split screen.

I got it for the PS3.  Gearbox patched the friends list bug yesterday and all seems to be good.

As with most people here, I agree that it definitely has a Diablo-like FPS feel to it.
denoginizer

View Profile
« Reply #134 on: October 22, 2009, 12:48:27 PM »

I am going to buy two copies of this on my way home from work tonight.  My wife loves playing Diablo so I am trying to play up the Diablo similarites in order to get her to play this co-op with me.  

She also loves The Dark Tower series and I noticed that one of the characters' name is Roland, and one has a skill tree branch named "Gunslinger" and has a pet bird that fights with him.  

If I can somehow tie in a vampire angle ala Twilight or True Blood I don't think she will be able to refuse.   icon_biggrin
« Last Edit: October 22, 2009, 01:16:11 PM by denoginizer » Logged

Xbox Live Tag: denoginizer
PSN Name: denoginizer
Devil

View Profile
« Reply #135 on: October 22, 2009, 01:04:36 PM »

Don't make me buy this!!!!

XBox Gamertag: Devil13Devil
Wii Number: 0305 6568 6417 2609
PS3 Thing: Slived
The Grue

You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

View Profile
« Reply #136 on: October 22, 2009, 01:48:10 PM »

Good Jeebus, I love this game.  Played co-op last night with a friend and just had a blast.  This takes Diablo-type games to the next level for me because of the shooting aspect.  One tip I have for you guys is to turn off the aim assist.  It is on by default and I felt I had better control without it.

XBox Live ID: The Grue
Playstation Network Name: TheGrue
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #137 on: October 22, 2009, 02:20:28 PM »

Quote from: Devil on October 22, 2009, 01:04:36 PM

Don't make me buy this!!!!

well, we could spend a few days of going back and forth on how you want/don't want this but you should just save yourself the time and buy it today.  just be a good boy and type IN! icon_twisted

Because I can,
Devil

View Profile
« Reply #138 on: October 22, 2009, 02:39:29 PM »

If I can hold out and stay focused on Uncharted until next week when Forza and Ratchet & Clank come out, I'll be fine.

You guys are making it tough though!

Lockdown

LD

View Profile
« Reply #139 on: October 22, 2009, 02:58:45 PM »

THIS would be a fun game to play co-op, Nancy.  Keep that in mind.  And it's jump-in and jump-out as you please.  Pretty nice.

And on your 200 inch projector tv thingymabob.... I bet it would look pretty sweet.

LD

"Let your enemies fear, for a harlequin of the Laughing God dances at your side."
Devil

View Profile
« Reply #140 on: October 22, 2009, 03:07:35 PM »

Becoming weaker...

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #141 on: October 22, 2009, 03:12:37 PM »

Quote from: Devil on October 22, 2009, 03:07:35 PM

Becoming weaker...

plus, along with co-op, you can beat up other players too.

oh, and you can steal LD's loot drops to make him cry.

Because I can,
MaxSteele

View Profile
« Reply #142 on: October 22, 2009, 03:49:44 PM »

Quote from: Lockdown on October 22, 2009, 09:15:56 AM

I may possibly have contracted the dreaded 'Mytocles Syndrome of Slow Play' though - especially when playing Mordecai.  I find I am playing the game very deliberately (read S-L-O-W).  Not at all the way I expected to approach it.  

You are definitely not the only one in this camp.  One sign of a good game for me is the ability to play it the way I want to play it.  Playing as Mordecai, I can take my time, creeping around corners, locating a high vantage point to snipe enemies from a distance, and altering my strategy when one type of approach doesn't work.  I get to do all of this with Borderlands.

I tried drop-in coop, and there were good and bad things to it.

The good was just running around with four people, spontaneously working together, covering each other, etc....  It gave me the same feeling I get from Left 4 Dead.  Un-coordinated help is always very satisfying.

The bad is the way the game handles quests.  Quests are controlled by the person who is hosting the game.  While this doesn't seem too bad, any quests completed are getting completed for your game as well.  When the host completes a quest, it doesn't pop up the quest text for you.  It just says "complete!" on your screen, you get the reward, and you get the next quest in the line, again with no notice except "quest received!".  Yes, you can go back into your journal and read up on everything that just happened, but while you're doing that, the other three strangers are half a mile away killing skags without you.

My suggestion if you like to know what's happening with your quests and want to follow the whole story line, side quests and all, make sure to host the XBLive game, so you have direct control over quest progression.  Or, only join games where you have progressed past the quests the host is completing.  Then you won't care to follow the quests, since you've already completed them.

There is also a very good deal of ninja looting in multiplayer.  There does not seem to be any mechanic of loot distribution, so it becomes a matter of whose inventory fills up first.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2009, 03:57:21 PM by MaxSteele » Logged
Brendan

two oh sickness

View Profile
« Reply #143 on: October 22, 2009, 03:55:31 PM »

I'm also playing as a solo hunter - level 20 at this point - but I don't find that sneaking is a particularly effective tactic.  Are you guys noticing that zooming in on an enemy, even from a distance, triggers them?  End result is that I can snipe one guy from afar, at which point the remainder rush me in a big mob.  The tactical AI is nonexistent. 

I'm still enjoying the game, of course!
MaxSteele

View Profile
« Reply #144 on: October 22, 2009, 03:59:21 PM »

Quote from: Brendan on October 22, 2009, 03:55:31 PM

I'm also playing as a solo hunter - level 20 at this point - but I don't find that sneaking is a particularly effective tactic.  Are you guys noticing that zooming in on an enemy, even from a distance, triggers them?  End result is that I can snipe one guy from afar, at which point the remainder rush me in a big mob.  The tactical AI is nonexistent.  

Actually, I've noticed it's distance-related.  If I am far enough away and I one-shot a target, it doesn't aggro the rest of the group.  The closer I am, or if I don't drop my target in one shot, that alerts the others around it.  The way to mitigate this effect is to find a sniping position where the group can't get to you, or they have to search for a way to get to you.  This buys some time before the combat turns into close-range.
Dreamshadow

View Profile WWW
« Reply #145 on: October 22, 2009, 04:06:32 PM »

Quote from: happydog on October 21, 2009, 06:10:47 PM

Played a couple hours last night and I really like it. At first I was worried by my constant lack of health, but once I got a healing shield it was way better. Think I am about lvl 7 right now.

Couple questions:
1. Is there a limit to what you can carry in the backpack?
2. How should I decide what to sell off vs. keep? Some things are obvious, but others seem like good guns so I am not sure. (I don't really play RPGs, so I am not very experienced in this area).
3. What is the best way to grind my lvl up? I think my next mission is rated lvl 10 and figured I might want to get up a lvl or two before attempting it.

1. Yes....you will find damaged Claptraps in various areas.  Rescue them when you see them (you simply have to find the repair kit and take it back to them.  There is one in Lost Cave and one in Slade (?) retreat off of Arid Hills.  You will get three or four more inventory slots when you do this, and sometimes the Claptrap will open up a locked or hidden weapon cache too.

2. Use the compare tool...can't give more concrete evidence yet since I don't know all the weapon prefixes/suffixes.

3. If you are only 1 lvl below the mission, go do it.  2 is tough but you can survive with skill..  3?  Find something to grind on.  Walk towards the giant windmills in Arid Badlands.  There should be a bunch of 9-10 level raiders there.

Tom "Dreamshadow" Tjarks
Aunt Wu: Care to hear your fortune, handsome?
Iroh: At my age there is really only one big surprise left, and I'd just as soon leave it a mystery.
Brendan

two oh sickness

View Profile
« Reply #146 on: October 22, 2009, 04:17:24 PM »

Quote from: MaxSteele on October 22, 2009, 03:59:21 PM

I'm also playing as a solo hunter - level 20 at this point - but I don't find that sneaking is a particularly effective tactic.  Are you guys noticing that zooming in on an enemy, even from a distance, triggers them?  End result is that I can snipe one guy from afar, at which point the remainder rush me in a big mob.  The tactical AI is nonexistent.  

Actually, I've noticed it's distance-related.  If I am far enough away and I one-shot a target, it doesn't aggro the rest of the group.  The closer I am, or if I don't drop my target in one shot, that alerts the others around it.  The way to mitigate this effect is to find a sniping position where the group can't get to you, or they have to search for a way to get to you.  This buys some time before the combat turns into close-range.

Hmm - I'm actually seeing, I think, that guys are alerted to me simply by zooming in on them with the sniper rifle.  I'll experiment later tonight when I play next.
MaxSteele

View Profile
« Reply #147 on: October 22, 2009, 04:32:55 PM »

Quote from: Brendan on October 22, 2009, 04:17:24 PM

Quote from: MaxSteele on October 22, 2009, 03:59:21 PM

Hmm - I'm actually seeing, I think, that guys are alerted to me simply by zooming in on them with the sniper rifle.  I'll experiment later tonight when I play next.

Oh, I can absolutely say that has not been my experience.  I can tell you a place I do this a lot is right when you enter Skag Gultch.  That over-look down into the valley where the spitter skags hang out.  I crouch down, get onto the edge, and take my time to line up a scoped sniper shot.  Once I hit one, all bets are off!
Doopri

View Profile
« Reply #148 on: October 22, 2009, 04:49:43 PM »

I would love to try co-op. (Doopri... any low level characters in your stable?)   I am at the point where I need to confront Nine-Toes with both my Sniper and my Soldier.

no i dont... but i will  ninja

after an absolute marathon last night i told myself i wouldnt play tonight for fear of my eyes, you know, bleeding.  but you convinced me smile
Dreamshadow

View Profile WWW
« Reply #149 on: October 22, 2009, 04:57:38 PM »

I'll be on Friday and Saturday for more co-op play.  I'm already commited for a WoW raid tonight.

Tom "Dreamshadow" Tjarks
Iroh: At my age there is really only one big surprise left, and I'd just as soon leave it a mystery.
Dreamshadow

View Profile WWW
« Reply #150 on: October 22, 2009, 04:59:11 PM »

*sigh* This is frustrating. After playing a great MP session with DuskyTheHamster, Quattoria, and CSL, my cat laid down on my power supply cutting off power to my Xbox. Now my level 19 Soldier is nowhere to be found...and I had even moved from one MP game to another. I had hoped that the worse would be I would lose a couple of items.

Grr. And I had a nice Heavy MG too...

Tom "Dreamshadow" Tjarks
Bob

View Profile
« Reply #151 on: October 22, 2009, 05:02:22 PM »

That whole save file is gone?  That seems weird.
MaxSteele

View Profile
« Reply #152 on: October 22, 2009, 05:10:52 PM »

Quote from: Bob on October 22, 2009, 05:02:22 PM

Well ya know, the game saves not to shut off your console while it's saving....  This could be why!
Doopri

View Profile
« Reply #153 on: October 22, 2009, 05:16:54 PM »

nooooooo dreamshadow!  now who is going to shoot me in the back to heal me?  and while im out for sat illl certainly be up for a game friday night

and for those who asked about story - i think im ready to comment smile  obviously its no final fantasy, but fortunately its quite a few notches above sacred 2 as well.  cutscenes are far and few between (most short, 10 second "introductions" to a boss - and while the opening scene was PERFECT i suspect itll be the last until the game is beaten).  

what it DOES have, however, is atmosphere and character in spades.  the little "talking heads" that pop up in the hud introduce a bunch of npcs who are all interesting, colorful and above all hilarious.  theyre also mostly psychotic to varying degrees.  this combined with the environment (just a really nice visualization of a post-apocalyptic wasteland) are enough (FOR ME - YMMV).  downsides - like someone else mentioned - you will not interact with these characters outside of the hud - when you meet them in person, aside from the office theyre sitting in, the only inkling youll get out of them is the quest theyre assigning.  or maybe a 2 or 3 second comment.  overall though, i think it works and works nicely.
Dreamshadow

View Profile WWW
« Reply #154 on: October 22, 2009, 05:33:43 PM »

Quote from: MaxSteele on October 22, 2009, 05:10:52 PM

Quote from: Bob on October 22, 2009, 05:02:22 PM

Well ya know, the game saves not to shut off your console while it's saving....  This could be why!

Yup, my other two characters were fine, but the LvL 19 soldier was gone.

Interestingly enough, I had found a combat mod - increased my damage and accuracy with Assault rifles and upped the damage on the Scorpio turret.  It changed me from showing as a LvL 19 soldier to a LvL 19 Rifleman. smile

Tom "Dreamshadow" Tjarks
Devil

View Profile
« Reply #155 on: October 22, 2009, 05:42:15 PM »

This may seal the deal.

KePoW

View Profile
« Reply #156 on: October 22, 2009, 05:56:41 PM »

Quote from: Brendan on October 22, 2009, 04:17:24 PM

Hmm - I'm actually seeing, I think, that guys are alerted to me simply by zooming in on them with the sniper rifle. 

I've never noticed that.

Of course once you take the first shot, then the other enemies around will agro.
Brendan

two oh sickness

View Profile
« Reply #157 on: October 22, 2009, 06:09:42 PM »

Hmm - just experimented, and you guys are right.  I'm cuh-razy.
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #158 on: October 22, 2009, 06:10:52 PM »

Quote from: Devil on October 22, 2009, 05:42:15 PM

This may seal the deal.

Just buy it. It's a proven fact that nobody can resist the GamingTrend Gold Effect (TM). biggrin

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
jztemple2

View Profile
« Reply #159 on: October 22, 2009, 06:48:49 PM »

I'm having a problem with the Scavenger: Combat Rifle mission:

Spoiler for Hiden:
I can't find the damn sight. I've got the other pieces and according to the map I'm standing on the damn thing on this multi-level platform but I just can't seem to find it. Anyone know where it is?

"The function of economic forecasting is to make astrology look respectable" - John Kenneth Galbraith
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 12   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: