http://gamingtrend.com
July 25, 2014, 04:04:40 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 12   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Borderlands - Reviews, impressions and discussions  (Read 19956 times)
Caine
Gaming Trend Senior Member

My cocaine

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: October 19, 2009, 05:22:04 PM »

well, i guess that makes sense JD.  if you are supposed to be this badass when you are level 20 going to the newbie zones, then it means you aren't going to take on those 5 levels above you. 

it's all run and gun though.  actually, that makes me kind of bummed.  i was hoping for something more advanced than quake 1 gameplay. 

how are the driving/vehicular combat aspects? 

"It's like chess with big guns against aliens. Which isn't like chess at all when I think about it." - Jake Solomon
JuniorDan

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: October 19, 2009, 07:04:13 PM »

Quote from: Caine on October 19, 2009, 05:22:04 PM

well, i guess that makes sense JD.  if you are supposed to be this badass when you are level 20 going to the newbie zones, then it means you aren't going to take on those 5 levels above you. 

it's all run and gun though.  actually, that makes me kind of bummed.  i was hoping for something more advanced than quake 1 gameplay. 

The driving sucks, its Tank style fwd & rvs with the left stick and steer with the right

360 GAMERTAG:Juniordan       ‹(•¿•)›  ‹(•¿•)›  ‹(•¿•)›
Wii: 2834 4528 4246 3222 ‹(•¿•)›  ‹(•¿•)›  ‹(•¿•)›
PS3 Spinks
KePoW

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: October 19, 2009, 07:13:07 PM »

Quote from: JuniorDan on October 19, 2009, 07:04:13 PM

The driving sucks, its Tank style fwd & rvs with the left stick and steer with the right

Like Halo?
jztemple2

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: October 19, 2009, 07:35:29 PM »

"Ashley" from Gamestop called, my copy will be in tomorrow morning when the store opens.

I looked just a little while ago on Metacritc. Six reviews up, lowest is 80, average is 86, so at least the nightmare of having pre-ordered some skank game is over.

True, but when the snarky comment is served on a platter, you don't wait for the napkin. - Bullwinkle
JodoKast
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: October 19, 2009, 09:05:32 PM »

Quote from: KePoW on October 19, 2009, 07:13:07 PM

Quote from: JuniorDan on October 19, 2009, 07:04:13 PM

Like Halo?

Yes, they have said that driving uses the Halo scheme.

Gamertag : NJ Devilfish
MonkeyFinger

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: October 19, 2009, 10:18:02 PM »

If anyone is interested in what "tank style" really means, check this out. Quite interesting how much goes into making a tracked vehicle go where you want it to.  icon_wink

-craig

PSx: MonkeyFinger
XBx: MonkeyPhinger
JuniorDan

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: October 19, 2009, 11:05:44 PM »

This game have that Mass Effect issue, you know the one when a level loads your like WTF then it cleans up in like 5-8sec and I have the latest processor 65nm I think it is. So be warned It may be better if you install the game.
I am kind of a good ways in the game now so I am unable to see what happens if I start a new character. The save system over writes your last save no matter how you change the name so I don't want to chance it and lose where I am at
So can someone tomorrow take one for the team and test this?
I ve found some artifacts that adds some sort of perks but have yet to try them this may add a little more ump to the rpg part of this game. I just hate the fact I cant build my guns ( that I ve seen yet) the shops sucks and the drop items are still bellow my lvl. I feel so restricted. Yet I  cant put this game down I just what to make that next lvl. where are my bazillions GUNS?????? Taking the same gun and adding 1 more attack point to it should not count as a different gun. This is my only dislike so far I was looking for new innovative types of guns..  well I will keep trucking on.
Did I mention this game spawns like crazy? It not the crazy spawning like things keep coming if you dont move. but if you cleard out and area and move on or far enough when you get back it will respawn the to what it previously was. Good for power lvling. Sucks if your under powered which you will be alot.

PS3 Spinks
Caine

My cocaine

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: October 19, 2009, 11:10:51 PM »

damn, that's not reassuring.  the kotaku review called it bore-derlands in sp and the game really only shines with co-op.  are you getting that impression too?

"It's like chess with big guns against aliens. Which isn't like chess at all when I think about it." - Jake Solomon
jztemple2

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: October 19, 2009, 11:49:54 PM »

Quote from: Caine on October 19, 2009, 11:10:51 PM

damn, that's not reassuring.  the kotaku review called it bore-derlands in sp and the game really only shines with co-op.  are you getting that impression too?

Say it ain't so, I'm probably going to be doing a lot of SP not co-op.

True, but when the snarky comment is served on a platter, you don't wait for the napkin. - Bullwinkle
JuniorDan

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: October 20, 2009, 01:25:46 AM »

damn, that's not reassuring.  the kotaku review called it bore-derlands in sp and the game really only shines with co-op.  are you getting that impression too?
The grinding like any other game gets repetitive, same people in the same places in the same positions and the sub missions are starting to repeat now just in different areas. The tone is an ambient tone that will put you to sleep but it fits the game for some weird reason. think elevator music (instrumental).
I have yet to see a gun that's like wow,,,  I am on a mission to finish this game before Dragon Age release because if I don't it will join the backlog of uncompleted games. I haven't touched the other characters so I will see what people have to say tomorrow. maybe the soldier is limited.

JZtemple2:
you may want to change the Topic to Borderlands Reviews its going to start pouring in soon.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2009, 01:32:18 AM by JuniorDan » Logged

PS3 Spinks
jztemple2

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: October 20, 2009, 01:55:32 AM »

Quote from: JuniorDan on October 20, 2009, 01:25:46 AM

JZtemple2:
you may want to change the Topic to Borderlands Reviews its going to start pouring in soon.

Done. Fifteen hours till I get the game. And one week and fifteen hours till I get Forza 3, just in case  Roll Eyes

Doopri

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: October 20, 2009, 05:52:26 AM »

had to jump on really quick to give a huge "thank you dreamshadow" hehehe.

been playing about an hour - first impressions?  thumbsup

ill probably get a bit more detailed tomorrow but in the meantime back to the game!
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #52 on: October 20, 2009, 06:27:05 AM »

Well, I also found Diablo 1 and 2 a bit boring, it seemed made for co-op.  Yet I liked both games and think I'll enjoy borderlands about as much.
Dreamshadow

View Profile WWW
« Reply #53 on: October 20, 2009, 04:05:32 PM »

After going to meet the developers last night at my local Gamestop, I've put about four hours into the game.  This has allowed me to level Brick to 10, and Lillith to 7.  Lillith was the second character I played and I didn't dawdle around on the starting quests and just kicked butt. 

Brick is nice if you want lots of staying power and hit points.  I'm not too keen yet on his Active power where he rampages about just punching things.  I got ahold of a shield that would regenerate my health, and I could take on all comers.

Lillith I think I'm having more fun with, using her Phasewalk ability to do silly things in combat.  Toss out a grenade, use phasewalk to be immune from it's explosion, or even better, come out of phasewalk just after the MIRV grenades go off to add to the chaos.

I'm still in the starting areas (Arid Badlands, Skag Gulch) and just starting to move beyond those, so I don't yet know how wild the enemies can get, but I'm not complaining so far.  I get to shoot things, and analyze random loot.  My inner-monty haul is satisfied.

The cool think about last night is that I got the Viral Achivement from one of the developers, and will happily spread it to anyone who'd like to play.  I'm Dreamshadow1977 on Live.

It was also really nice to talk to the developers about their design choices and more.  I'm looking forward to the Zombie Island DLC, and can't wait to see what's after that.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2009, 04:07:25 PM by Dreamshadow » Logged

Tom "Dreamshadow" Tjarks
Aunt Wu: Care to hear your fortune, handsome?
Iroh: At my age there is really only one big surprise left, and I'd just as soon leave it a mystery.
Dreamshadow

View Profile WWW
« Reply #54 on: October 20, 2009, 04:06:20 PM »

Quote from: jztemple2 on October 19, 2009, 11:49:54 PM

It's the same game in either mode.  More players just means more/tougher enemies to shoot.  Nothing more.

Tom "Dreamshadow" Tjarks
Iroh: At my age there is really only one big surprise left, and I'd just as soon leave it a mystery.
KePoW

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: October 20, 2009, 04:12:53 PM »

Quote from: Dreamshadow on October 20, 2009, 04:05:32 PM

The cool think about last night is that I got the Viral Achivement from one of the developers, and will happily spread it to anyone who'd like to play.  I'm Dreamshadow1977 on Live.

Cool, I'll add you.
Chaz

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: October 20, 2009, 04:21:51 PM »

Quote from: Dreamshadow on October 20, 2009, 04:06:20 PM

It's the same game in either mode.  More players just means more/tougher enemies to shoot.  Nothing more.

Right, but plenty of boring games have been made more amusing when played co-op.  Mario Party and Smash Bros. are perfect examples.

Caine

My cocaine

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: October 20, 2009, 04:29:53 PM »

Quote from: Chaz on October 20, 2009, 04:21:51 PM

Quote from: Dreamshadow on October 20, 2009, 04:06:20 PM

Right, but plenty of boring games have been made more amusing when played co-op.  Mario Party and Smash Bros. are perfect examples.

exactly.  you shouldn't need the presence of other people to make a game fun.  saints row 2 for example was still awesome in sp.  i'm hoping for some more fleshed out impressions before i buy this. 

Dreamshadow

View Profile WWW
« Reply #58 on: October 20, 2009, 04:34:14 PM »

I'm looking forward to seeing someone with a Roland character set up with his healing bullets Talent.  I have it on good authority that using that + a rocket launcher = group heals.  All you have to do is this build here:

http://www.borderlandsthegame.com/skilltree/roland/#01000000000000000505000
« Last Edit: October 20, 2009, 04:35:45 PM by Dreamshadow » Logged

Tom "Dreamshadow" Tjarks
Doopri

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: October 20, 2009, 04:40:30 PM »

exactly.  you shouldn't need the presence of other people to make a game fun.  saints row 2 for example was still awesome in sp.  i'm hoping for some more fleshed out impressions before i buy this.  

its tough to say.  so far the atmosphere, theme and characters arent boring at all.  BUT so far there really arent many characters in the opening area.  and i cant tell about the story yet.  the opening introduction / narration really piqued my interest and gave me the "this is going to be awesome" vibe.  but the story has yet to "kick in" beyond that so i cant tell if its going to be a driving force of the game.  right now its a shooter fetch-quest thing but i think the game is just trying to level me to move me forward and ease me in.

but as far as running around killing neato lil' baddies, finding new toys and checking out a pretty (if somewhat empty, so far) world i think its been great.  also im a fan of how the devs handled FPS vs RPG at least in combat.  its just "feels" like a nice balance of my aiming and my numbers crunching under the hood.
ericb

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: October 20, 2009, 04:55:59 PM »

Any significant difference between the PS3 and X360 versions?
hepcat

I'M the one that knocks! Now...burp me!

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: October 20, 2009, 05:25:34 PM »

I picked this up for the 360 on a lark at lunch today.  Impulse buys for this month now include this, Dragon Age and Torchlight  icon_redface

Warning:  You will see my penis. -Brian

Just remember: once a user figures out gluten noting them they're allowed to make fun of you. - Ceekay speaking in tongues.
Gooter
Welcome to Gaming Trend

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: October 20, 2009, 06:04:50 PM »

Does it keep stats like # of kills, # of mob kills, accuracy with the various weapon types, etc?

Thanks
Caine

My cocaine

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: October 20, 2009, 06:11:26 PM »

sweet news.  i won't have to buy this now.  gamefly is sending it out. 

jztemple2

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: October 20, 2009, 06:24:19 PM »

I picked up my copy and started playing about an hour ago. So far, not too bad. I'm not hooked like the start of Bioshock, but I'm playing missions and doing things. The cel-shading isn't bad, I have gotten used to it.

El-Producto

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: October 20, 2009, 06:35:42 PM »

I just read the Giantbomb review, and I was all but ready to grab this game, but I think I'm going to wait.  The lack of any real story, and lackluster AI aren't enough to make me want to grind through this.  Especially with Dragon Age coming next week.

"Goonies never say die"
Hiccup
Gaming Trend Reader

I have personal text.

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: October 20, 2009, 06:36:31 PM »

My copy is sitting in my glovebox taunting me atm.  I was in back when this wasn't cell shaded, touted 500,000 guns, and was supposed to be 'bleaker'.

Just a little hiccup.
Caine

My cocaine

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: October 20, 2009, 06:44:46 PM »

eurogamer 8/10

overall, he liked it, but did touch on the repetitiveness of the game and the drawback of sp.

most importantly, the four classes seem to be pretty much able to survive the higher levels with their specials, although the bird is somewhat less effective at higher levels.

MonkeyFinger

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: October 20, 2009, 06:47:28 PM »

So... this doesn't really sound like something a 'single player only' person should be picking up? Seems to be a little weak in that department.  icon_neutral

-craig

PSx: MonkeyFinger
XBx: MonkeyPhinger
El-Producto

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: October 20, 2009, 06:59:21 PM »

Quote from: MonkeyFinger on October 20, 2009, 06:47:28 PM

So... this doesn't really sound like something a 'single player only' person should be picking up? Seems to be a little weak in that department.  icon_neutral

I'm thinking not.  I primaraly SP these days, and it sounds like it's a bit of an empty experience.

"Goonies never say die"
Caine

My cocaine

View Profile
« Reply #70 on: October 20, 2009, 07:00:19 PM »

Quote from: MonkeyFinger on October 20, 2009, 06:47:28 PM

yeah, so far it does seem to be a co-op over sp focused game.  

for any others wondering, here are the relevant parts:

single-player in Borderlands is entirely valid, and fun. But the sense remains that there's something missing. This is filled when you start playing co-op, because one of the most obvious mechanisms in the game suddenly makes sense.    

Co-op is arguably how Borderlands is meant to be played. While the quests in the single-player are adequate to the task of keeping you occupied and entertained, the ludicrous ramping of enemy numbers and power when friends join makes the experience far, far more chaotic, and therefore more entertaining.

With four players, it's a riot, and they can drop in and out as you go.

El-Producto

View Profile
« Reply #71 on: October 20, 2009, 07:17:10 PM »

Man, I'm so back and forth on this one.  It looks like it might scratch that MMO itch I keep getting.  For $40 I almost think I should.

Sorry if this has been mentioned, but is there same console co-op?

"Goonies never say die"
Caine

My cocaine

View Profile
« Reply #72 on: October 20, 2009, 07:28:58 PM »

seeing it's two player offline.  maybe someone with the game can confirm

from co optimus

Co-Op Information   
Local Co-Op:    Yes
Number of Players Offline:    2 Players
Online Co-Op:   Yes
Number of Players Online:    4 Players
LAN or System Link:    Yes
Number of Players via LAN or System link:    4 Players
Splitscreen:    Yes
Playable Online with Splitscreen:   No
Number of Players Online with Splitscreen:   0 Players
Drop-In / Drop-Out:    Yes
Co-Op Specific Content:    Yes
Single player content available in Co-Op:    Yes
« Last Edit: October 20, 2009, 07:30:51 PM by Caine » Logged

jztemple2

View Profile
« Reply #73 on: October 20, 2009, 07:31:54 PM »

Came up for air after another hour.

OK, call me weird, but I got tired of games like Fallout 3 and Oblivion because there were so many different types of objects you could stumble across, but most of them were so you could make other objects, or sell to someone, or give you health. After a while I sort of got bored with the different types of things that are only of ancillary interest to me.

So now I'm playing Borderlands and hey, it's kill things before they kill you. Oh, the quests are a bit more complicated than that, but so far I'm not trying to spy on some merchant to see if he is secretly meeting with someone to undercut another merchant's prices.... zzzzz. Sorry, it was so dull I fell asleep just relating a typical Oblivion story. Hey, it's a great game, but sheesh, sometimes I don't want Tolstoy, I want Mickey Spillane.

Surprisingly the respawning of the bad animals and things makes sense. If I leave an area, they wander back in. OK, maybe not that fast, but so far it's just a good way to increase my skills.

I just got my first skill point and hey, I have a pet bird! How cool is that? I think I'll call him Tweety.

jersoc

View Profile
« Reply #74 on: October 20, 2009, 07:37:43 PM »

lol kotaku. they wish they were a real credible site. how can you guys read their drivel?
Dreamshadow

View Profile WWW
« Reply #75 on: October 20, 2009, 07:56:21 PM »

Quote from: El-Producto on October 20, 2009, 07:17:10 PM

Man, I'm so back and forth on this one.  It looks like it might scratch that MMO itch I keep getting.  For $40 I almost think I should.

Heck yeah..

Was talking to the devs and seeing it last night.    Depending on the aspect ratio of the display, it will split screen to make the most use of the screen.  So, some displays will have you playing side by side, while others are top/bottom.

Tom "Dreamshadow" Tjarks
MaxSteele

View Profile
« Reply #76 on: October 20, 2009, 08:40:50 PM »

Quote from: jersoc on October 20, 2009, 07:37:43 PM

lol kotaku. they wish they were a real credible site. how can you guys read their drivel?

I now treat Kotaku like the TMZ of gaming news. smile
ericb

View Profile
« Reply #77 on: October 20, 2009, 08:51:32 PM »

Quote from: El-Producto on October 20, 2009, 07:17:10 PM

For $40 I would already have it instead of trying to decide if I want the console version now or if I want to wait a week on the PC version. 
MaxSteele

View Profile
« Reply #78 on: October 20, 2009, 11:13:26 PM »

Sad gamer is sad.  frown

Here's a quote from a 2007 press release on Borderlands:

"Borderlands represents an important evolutionary leap in game design and technology,” said Christoph Hartmann, President of 2K. “By utilizing revolutionary new technology to create thousands of unique, randomly generated missions, weapons and situations, Borderlands will raise the bar for next gen action games.”

The only thing in there that made it to the final game is the randomly generated weapons.  frown
Caine

My cocaine

View Profile
« Reply #79 on: October 20, 2009, 11:21:32 PM »

well, i have to wonder what 'dynamic situations' could entail other than the random battles, which this does seem to have.  tbh, i'd rather have a host of designed missions now and again, or you end with 20 variations on the same 'kill x of y' quests, which also seems to be the case here. 

i think the idea of random generation = gaming nirvana doesn't necessarily hold up any more. 

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 12   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: