http://gamingtrend.com
August 28, 2014, 03:46:14 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 18   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: [360/PC/PS3] Borderlands 2  (Read 30372 times)
Enigma
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #160 on: September 17, 2012, 07:30:57 PM »

I made the mistake of watching some of the trailers....damn, they make some good trailers.  Now I'm fighting the urge to buy this!  I didn't even finish the first one yet!!!!!

It's making me want to reach all new levels of "badass-ness" with a bazillion guns (and grenades...must'nt forget the bazillions of grenages.)
« Last Edit: September 17, 2012, 07:34:52 PM by Enigma » Logged

Now Playing:
PS3: Demon Souls
PC:   Diablo III, Saints Row 3, Anno 1404 (Dawn of Discovery)
jztemple2
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« Reply #161 on: September 17, 2012, 09:26:20 PM »

I made plans to keep my schedule clear tomorrow, but now I do have to take my wife to a doctor's appointment. I don't mind of course... well, maybe just a little crybaby. She suggested that I might want to go to the midnight launch at my local Gamestop tonight to pick up the game so I can get in more play time tomorrow. That was a bit of a shock, since she always thought those midnight affairs were a bit silly for a man approaching sixty Roll Eyes. So, for those who have attended midnight launches at Gamestops, just how out of place would I be?

True, but when the snarky comment is served on a platter, you don't wait for the napkin. - Bullwinkle
Arclight

Truth, is a person.

View Profile
« Reply #162 on: September 17, 2012, 10:16:07 PM »

Quote from: jztemple2 on September 17, 2012, 09:26:20 PM

I made plans to keep my schedule clear tomorrow, but now I do have to take my wife to a doctor's appointment. I don't mind of course... well, maybe just a little crybaby. She suggested that I might want to go to the midnight launch at my local Gamestop tonight to pick up the game so I can get in more play time tomorrow. That was a bit of a shock, since she always thought those midnight affairs were a bit silly for a man approaching sixty Roll Eyes. So, for those who have attended midnight launches at Gamestops, just how out of place would I be?

<...........58
But never been to a mid-night anything concerning gaming. That's mainly because I can't stay up that late(no lie) nod But one thing I've come to realize no one cares about age much at gaming events...It would be a bit like the pot calling the kettle black.(soot, burned on black) Roll Eyes
And I imagine there are some very cool dads out there who bring there young-uns to these events.
Go for it!!! and a big high five to your wife. Mine has no interest what so ever in gaming, but she respects my choice of hobbies and every 2 years or so gives me the nod to get a new rig.

Grace: Unmerited favor.
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #163 on: September 17, 2012, 11:32:35 PM »

You'll be fine JZ, people will either assume you're one of the most awesome dad's in the world picking up a gift for a kid, or that you're one an awesome older gamer.  ninja
USMC Kato

I have a bad feeling about this....

View Profile
« Reply #164 on: September 17, 2012, 11:42:59 PM »

Going to midnight release for a game is the same as going to a midnight showing of a movie.

Semper Fidelis

Gamertag: USMC Kato
PSN ID: USMC_Kato
Gamecenter ID: USMC Kato
Wii U Nintendo ID: USMC_Kato
Jarrodhk

View Profile
« Reply #165 on: September 17, 2012, 11:55:12 PM »

Everyone points and laughs?

Wait, that might just be me.

Pikachu, I Blame you!
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #166 on: September 18, 2012, 03:15:25 AM »

heh... mechromancer.... mech-romancer... <snicker> <hic>

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Caine

My cocaine

View Profile WWW
« Reply #167 on: September 18, 2012, 03:49:17 AM »

Launch trailer
« Last Edit: September 18, 2012, 08:02:36 PM by th'FOOL » Logged

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #168 on: September 18, 2012, 04:01:49 AM »

UNLOCKING!

Because I can,
Caine

My cocaine

View Profile WWW
« Reply #169 on: September 18, 2012, 04:04:33 AM »

Quote from: CeeKay on September 18, 2012, 04:01:49 AM

UNLOCKING!

HELL"S YEAH

USMC Kato

View Profile
« Reply #170 on: September 18, 2012, 04:28:51 AM »

already spent around 15 minutes trying to get Borderlands 2 to play..... icon_cry

Semper Fidelis

Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

Thirty. Minutes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #171 on: September 18, 2012, 04:48:56 AM »

FYI: GMG still has 20% off it, and this code works for another 20%:

GMG20-AWDF9-Q1PEY

site is slloooooww though.

They give you a Steam code, so it's still the same thing. biggrin

http://www.greenmangaming.com/s/ca/en/pc/games/rpgs/borderlands-2-na/

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #172 on: September 18, 2012, 05:10:31 AM »

played around a bit-  it's Borderlands biggrin

random thoughts:

not sure I liked the song during the opening bit, 'Ain't No Rest for the Wicked' was much catchier and got me pumped up better.

been noticing textures taking a second or so to load when opening boxes.  not game breaking but not sure how it was missed.

Steam keeps wanting to install MS .Net Framework 4 when I fire up the game.  let it do it once, it wanted to restart my PC, so I let it, and then it wanted to do it again.  let it do so, but selected not to restart my PC.  it popped up a third time after I quit the game and came back in, but then it didn't ask me to restart.

playing as Zero for now, unfortunately you don't start with any skills so it's hard to get a proper feel for him.

PC options:  plenty of them, including FOV and a framerate limiter.  got everything maxed out; don't remember if the first game used PhysX but that is also a setting.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2012, 05:14:35 AM by CeeKay » Logged

Because I can,
Harpua3

View Profile
« Reply #173 on: September 18, 2012, 06:48:23 AM »

So even after just 20 mins I can say this will be played alot and for a long time...I'm headed back in right now...
Zinfan

View Profile
« Reply #174 on: September 18, 2012, 10:05:46 AM »

Had the exact same issue with the .net stuff and I am sure Kato did too.  Hated the unskippable intro just cause I couldn't bypass it, good song though same theme as Strikeback on Cinemax.

Once in the game everything worked great and I had fun but need sleep now.
Harpua3

View Profile
« Reply #175 on: September 18, 2012, 11:16:38 AM »

Just finished. Going to bed, wife is getting up..yeah it's 7:14, the game is great and I'm tired. eek Until tomorrow when I make the same mistakes...or wise decisions. saywhat
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #176 on: September 18, 2012, 11:36:59 AM »

CVG: 8.5: "Light on story and heavy on guns. Borderlands 2 is saved from XP strip-mining by a sharp sense of humour and a slick, destructive multiplayer."
OXM UK: 9 - "The words "awesome" and "badass" are used a lot in this game, but Gearbox has earned the right."
OPM UK: 9: "If you're tired of brown military shooters and crying out for something different, then get involved - this is one of the most imaginative and rewarding blasters of the year."
Edge: 9 - "Gearbox knows more about the fundamentals of the shooter than almost any other developer."
GamesRadar: 8 - "If you like to shoot, and you dig collecting loot, Borderlands 2 has enough to scratch your itch for some time to come."
OXM US: 9: "Developer Gearbox hasn't messed with success, wisely opting to refine and improve what made the original so great."
GameSpot: 8.5 - "Stellar writing and a host of small improvements help Borderlands 2 stand tall on the shoulders of its predecessor."
IGN: 9 - "Love to collect loot, level up a hero and shoot guys in the face? Then get Borderlands 2 right now."
VideoGamer: 9 - "On paper, this sequel reads much the same as the original. But it's not - it's a vastly superior game."
Eurogamer: 9 - "Borderlands 2 is still a hillbilly moonshiner sort of game, then, but it's the hillbilly at his canny, tinkering, big-dreaming best."
NowGamer: 9.4 - "Ocean-deep and country-wide, this huge RPG will keep you going for months before you even need to think about DLC. Oh, and it's probably one of the best co-op games you'll ever play."

Manchester United Premier League Champions 2013!!

Xbox LIVE:Metallicorphan
Wii:8565 1513 0206 1960
PSN:Metallicorphan
EddieA

View Profile
« Reply #177 on: September 18, 2012, 12:50:11 PM »

I played for about 2 1/2 hours, until my finger got tired of holding down the W key slywink  I love everything about it - the graphics, the personality, the humor, the slick interface, and the boatload of challenges (with tangible rewards this time).  Playing as Maya, it seems harder than the first game.  I've had to fight for my life about 6 times already, but I succeeded all but once.

"Why did the chicken cross the Mobius strip?  To get to the same side."  - The Big Bang Theory
Caine

My cocaine

View Profile WWW
« Reply #178 on: September 18, 2012, 01:43:31 PM »

Played for a while after unlock.  Level 8 with Zero.  The loot system is better.  The changes to the brands are noticeable.  Already found some good elemental weapons and they are just as effective as before. 

It's going to be a while before I get familiar with the interface changes, but it does seem to be better than the one in BL1.  Died once due to a mistimed boost in the buggy that lead to a Thelma and Louise moment, but having just come from a few weeks of playing the first, I've been more cautious and able to avoid too many close calls.  Like the little details they've added in like staggering enemies and being able to walk up and pick up cash automatically. 

jztemple2

View Profile
« Reply #179 on: September 18, 2012, 02:51:27 PM »

Just got my 360 copy from my local Gamestop this morning. They said they had about 100 at the midnight launch (it's a small store in a small market, so that's a lot for them). At the rate they processed my order this morning those 100 must have been in line for a couple of hours.

And unlike the first game, I won't be doing co-op for the first play through. Since I was always the weakest of the coop group I basically just followed along and missed a lot of the nuances of the story. I'll wait till I get some time on the game.

True, but when the snarky comment is served on a platter, you don't wait for the napkin. - Bullwinkle
jztemple2

View Profile
« Reply #180 on: September 18, 2012, 04:01:50 PM »

Did I miss something, or are there no longer levels for each type of weapon (SMG, pistol, etc) which rank up? Maybe this is replaced by the Badass rewards?

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #181 on: September 18, 2012, 04:07:57 PM »

Quote from: Caine on September 18, 2012, 01:43:31 PM

Already found some good elemental weapons and they are just as effective as before. 

found a pistol with elemental explosive damage, bit it didn't seem to do much; it seemed to miss more often than not so I switched to a regular pistol instead.

Because I can,
Roguetad

View Profile
« Reply #182 on: September 18, 2012, 04:36:25 PM »

I also experienced the .net framework install silliness.  After complying with one restart, I just ignored the next request and launched the game again...which worked.  Since then I've exited and launched the game at least 4 or 5 times with no requests for a .net repair.  I wonder what the whole .net weirdness was about?  

I've barely scratched the surface, but so far it's been more Borderlands goodness.  I know this is blasphemy for the pc fps loyalists, but I'm actually thinking of playing my steam version on a 360 controller.  I played all of last night and this morning on mouse and keyboard, and it worked fine, but I played the original on the 360 and kind of miss the simplicity of the controller.  I rebound the mouse and keyboard keys to my liking, but I'm still missing the controller.  I know, it doesn't make a lot of sense, and the aiming is like easy mode using a good mouse, but there it is.  

I started with Salvador and Axton, but since it takes awhile to get to their core skills, it's hard to tell which I'll prefer.  Axton's Guerilla skilll tree looks good.    
jztemple2

View Profile
« Reply #183 on: September 18, 2012, 04:39:21 PM »

I'm on Southern Shelf as Axton. I see loot on the upper outside levels of some buildings, but darn if I can figure out how to get up there to reach them. Is it possible that only some characters jump up high enough, or am I just not clever enough to figure out how to get up there?

Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #184 on: September 18, 2012, 04:39:31 PM »

Quote from: jztemple2 on September 18, 2012, 04:01:50 PM

Did I miss something, or are there no longer levels for each type of weapon (SMG, pistol, etc) which rank up? Maybe this is replaced by the Badass rewards?

you are correct.

I played fine this morning, but now when I click 'Play' nothing at all happens
Soulchilde

You and I have unfinished business

View Profile
« Reply #185 on: September 18, 2012, 05:42:50 PM »

waiting patiently for my 360 copy

Quote from: Devil on January 12, 2007, 01:14:38 AM

NiM$
Harpua3

View Profile
« Reply #186 on: September 18, 2012, 06:26:24 PM »

I'm awake and I have stuff to do, but I wanna play this now!!! Gotta wait til later fingertear
« Last Edit: September 18, 2012, 06:28:01 PM by Harpua3 » Logged
Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #187 on: September 18, 2012, 08:44:16 PM »

Unbeliveable, I have the launcher problem now. I was playing in a friend's game, quit out to adjust my mic and when I tried to relaunch, no luck. I tried the Steam integrity check, and while it replaced one file, it didn't solve the problem frown

EDIT: whoa, and the next time I tried to launch it worked!

"Is there any chance your jolly Garchomp is female?" - Wonderpug
USMC Kato

View Profile
« Reply #188 on: September 18, 2012, 08:52:17 PM »

Lucky I bought both Xbox and pc. I'm having the steam launcher issue, so the xbox copy has my full attention. The graphics disparity isn't as huge between xbox and pc this time around  thumbsup

Semper Fidelis

Harpua3

View Profile
« Reply #189 on: September 18, 2012, 09:13:36 PM »

Quote from: USMC Kato on September 18, 2012, 08:52:17 PM

Lucky I bought both Xbox and pc. I'm having the steam launcher issue, so the xbox copy has my full attention. The graphics disparity isn't as huge between xbox and pc this time around  thumbsup

On that note the ps3 version is pretty slick looking as well. thumbsup
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #190 on: September 19, 2012, 12:13:57 AM »

Minecraft Easter Egg.

Because I can,
Azhag

View Profile
« Reply #191 on: September 19, 2012, 12:29:19 AM »

Played more than I should have already today single player... and I think a friend is playing later tonight so I might have to start a second character
jztemple2

View Profile
« Reply #192 on: September 19, 2012, 01:08:52 AM »

From the developer: Golden Keys - Important Details, Instructions and Information

What, you already used your Golden Key? Oops
crybaby

The Grue

You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

View Profile
« Reply #193 on: September 19, 2012, 02:05:08 AM »

Quote from: jztemple2 on September 19, 2012, 01:08:52 AM

From the developer: Golden Keys - Important Details, Instructions and Information

What, you already used your Golden Key? Oops
crybaby

I just assume it worked that way.  In fact, I think they tell you that in the game.

XBox Live ID: The Grue
Playstation Network Name: TheGrue
Harpua3

View Profile
« Reply #194 on: September 19, 2012, 02:41:46 AM »

Quote from: Azhag on September 19, 2012, 12:29:19 AM

Played more than I should have already today single player... and I think a friend is playing later tonight so I might have to start a second character

Ps3?
jztemple2

View Profile
« Reply #195 on: September 19, 2012, 02:46:55 AM »

I went back to complete a bonus mission before I moved on to Sanctuary and it must have run me almost an hour icon_eek. I won't spoil it, but I was pleased on how really well the layout was designed. What I wasn't so thrilled about was the apparent constant spawning enemies till I had killed the boss which then seemed to keep spawning for a while afterwards. Maybe I missed something in the mission. Anyway...

So far the game is fun. The icy environment is interesting and different, although not necessarily better than BL1. I like the new loot containers, especially the new "treasure chests"
Spoiler for Hiden:
a porta-potty. Cute

I'm not so keen on the new save points. The ones in BL1 really stood out, these seem to be harder to find.

I'm loving my new Sabre Turret. Seriously, I'm thinking of taking it out to the movies and dancing.

One note on something regarding shields we discussed before the game came out. I'll put it in spoilers but if you're playing Axton and are already at least a couple of hours in, you'll have come across this, but don't look if you want to be surprised:
Spoiler for Hiden:
I'm up to level eight and I have yet to come across a shield that regenerates health, so I'm opting for Axton's survival skill that adds health regen as a skill. I'll be kicking myself if I come across a shield later on that has this, but right now it's a literal lifesaver for my character.

Soulchilde

You and I have unfinished business

View Profile
« Reply #196 on: September 19, 2012, 10:34:10 AM »

Played up to lvl 7 with Zero and I'm loving it.  Looking into getting in some co-op.  Saw, Jarrod and Moriarity playing last night but I had to get to bed frown   Counting the hours till I get off.

Sniper rifle spec smile

Quote from: Devil on January 12, 2007, 01:14:38 AM

NiM$
hepcat

I'M the one that knocks! Now...burp me!

View Profile
« Reply #197 on: September 19, 2012, 02:01:24 PM »

Put in about 2 1/2 hours last night and took Zero to lvl 7.  Can I start another character for comparison's sake without overwriting my other character's progress?

The only thing that annoys me about the game right now is the inventory screen.  Since I wasn't a fan of the first game's implementation of this function, that's no surprise.  However, on the PC I seem to be more annoyed with it.  And maybe it's just me but the inventory, journal, etc. all seem sort of washed out in appearance and the resolution seems oddly low.  Everything else looks great though.

I'm really enjoying it apart from those minor nitpicks though.  I like that the difficulty seems to have been ramped up.  I got my butt handed to me on one of the first boss fights because I was runnin' and gunnin' instead of thinkin'.  That, to me, is a sign of a well made game.   icon_biggrin

Warning:  You will see my penis. -Brian

Just remember: once a user figures out gluten noting them they're allowed to make fun of you. - Ceekay speaking in tongues.
jztemple2

View Profile
« Reply #198 on: September 19, 2012, 02:06:15 PM »

Quote from: hepcat on September 19, 2012, 02:01:24 PM

The only thing that annoys me about the game right now is the inventory screen.  Since I wasn't a fan of the first game's implementation of this function, that's no surprise.  However, on the PC I seem to be more annoyed with it.  And maybe it's just me but the inventory, journal, etc. all seem sort of washed out in appearance and the resolution seems oddly low. 

You aren't alone in this. In creating that 3D effect it seems to be fuzzy, plus at times my character is in front of some of the items. Maybe it looks better on the PC. Anyway, it's a nuisance rather than a problem.

I'm up to level 9 and having fun, although I can't even mention what so tickled me with having to use a lot of spoiler tags, so I'll wait until folks have gotten more into the game.

BTW, did anyone get the hardcover strategy guide?

The Grue

You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

View Profile
« Reply #199 on: September 19, 2012, 02:11:49 PM »

Quote from: jztemple2 on September 19, 2012, 02:46:55 AM

I went back to complete a bonus mission before I moved on to Sanctuary and it must have run me almost an hour icon_eek. I won't spoil it, but I was pleased on how really well the layout was designed. What I wasn't so thrilled about was the apparent constant spawning enemies till I had killed the boss which then seemed to keep spawning for a while afterwards. Maybe I missed something in the mission. Anyway...

Can you fast travel back there once you get to Sanctuary?  I want to do the couple of side missions I still have in the area, but figured I could just warp back there once I got to Sanctuary.  Hopefully that is true.  If not then frown.

XBox Live ID: The Grue
Playstation Network Name: TheGrue
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 18   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: