http://gamingtrend.com
December 22, 2014, 02:52:33 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Boardgame style games?  (Read 1350 times)
Turtle
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile WWW
« on: February 10, 2008, 07:47:30 AM »

I have a craving to play some boardgames, the kind of stuff that comes from Fantasy Flight or things like Cataan, the problem is, I can't find players.  So to help ease that need, can you guys recommend me some games that are like board games in feel and play?

Also, if you know of any translations of boardgames to the PC or consoles that'd be great.  I'll probably pickup Catan and Carcassonne on XBL, but what else is there?

I recall someone in the OO and GT forum community was working on a PC port of FFG's Descent boardgame, anyone know what happened to that?
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2008, 12:10:12 PM »

Quote from: Turtle on February 10, 2008, 07:47:30 AM

I recall someone in the OO and GT forum community was working on a PC port of FFG's Descent boardgame, anyone know what happened to that?

That was me, and it's currently in beta. You can read about it here: http://www.battlepawn.com/thegames.php?num=1

Also, if you happen to know any investors who are interested in a low-cost, nearly complete game project, feel free to have them contact me. slywink
unbreakable
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2008, 04:34:08 PM »

Culdcept Saga is supposed to come out for xb360.  It's a mix of board game and collectable card game.  Someone once described it as Magic the Gathering meets Monopoly.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2008, 04:43:09 PM by unbreakable » Logged
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2008, 04:40:49 PM »

Monopoly Tycoon perhaps?
Eduardo X

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2008, 01:41:57 AM »

Quote from: unbreakable on February 12, 2008, 04:34:08 PM

Culdcept Saga is supposed to come out for xb360.  It's a mix of board game and collectable card game.  Someone once described it as Magic the Gathering meets Monopoly.
It has issues, but I really love Culdcept. I can't recommend it more highly.

PSN ID: EduardoX
Canuck

I live in Japan

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2008, 06:47:25 AM »

Armgageddon Empires? It's kind of like a board game.
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2008, 01:56:01 PM »

Quote from: Canuck on February 13, 2008, 06:47:25 AM

Armgageddon Empires? It's kind of like a board game.

Oh good call.
Autistic Angel

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2008, 02:26:55 PM »

I've never played a hex-based card-battling strategy game before, but based on the incredibly high review that Armageddon Empires got in the most recent Games for Windows magazine, I've downloaded the demo to try it out.  Also, as the game's official website points out, Bill Harris has written up a detailed series of tutorials to help out new players like me.  icon_cool

-Autistic Angel
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2008, 03:12:11 PM »

Quote from: Autistic Angel on February 13, 2008, 02:26:55 PM

I've never played a hex-based card-battling strategy game before,

As opposed to the rest of us who are burned out on the whole hex-based turn based strategy collectable card game with genre.  Come ON developers, how about something original?! slywink

Going through Bill Harris's tutorials is a really good idea.  The game can seem a bit intimidating at first but if you can make it through the first few awkward games it's so much fun.

As odd as it may sound, switch to first person shooter controls ASAP.  The interface works a lot better if you use WASD + mouse controls instead of just using the mouse.
unbreakable
« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2008, 09:01:02 PM »

You mentioned Cataan, but were you talking about playing IRL?  Because I've heard it's on XBox Live, and have only heard good things about it.
Canuck

I live in Japan

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2008, 11:45:50 PM »

Yeah Bills blog is what helped me get into the game.  I'd never played a card game before so it seemed difficult as hell at first.  But after I caught on it was easy!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: