http://gamingtrend.com
December 20, 2014, 02:23:20 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Blue Dragon Getting Some Poor Reviews  (Read 20394 times)
metallicorphan
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« Reply #320 on: October 13, 2007, 02:21:11 PM »

yeah i plan to up the difficulty one day with my level 50 whatever characters...when that day comes i have no idea

i wonder how many people were put off by choosing hard,and having difficulties and then finally giving up...as that would be a shame

oh and Eddie and Cal...tell me what you think of marumaro when you get to him,a lot of people hate him,but he makes me laugh

Manchester United Premier League Champions 2013!!

Xbox LIVE:Metallicorphan
Wii:8565 1513 0206 1960
PSN:Metallicorphan
Misguided
Gaming Trend Staff

Semi-acquatic egg-laying mammal of action

View Profile
« Reply #321 on: October 13, 2007, 03:13:00 PM »

You thought Eternal Sonata had a one-trick system, compared to Blue Dragon?
Wow...let's just say we have a difference of opinion there.
There's just so much more strategy to the fights in ES, IMO.
Admittedly, though, it would be nice if there were more variety of creatures.
Don't get me wrong, Blue Dragon is ok, but the story is so painfully slow to develop
in the early going (on the first disc) and the combat is so boring that I can't imagine
spending any more time on it until I finish Eternal Sonata, which I love to bits.

Quote from: Calvin on October 11, 2007, 11:04:51 PM

Quote from: Andrew Mallon on October 11, 2007, 09:40:15 PM

Quote from: Calvin on October 11, 2007, 09:29:27 PM

I soured on Eternal Sonata pretty quick but am really enjoying BD so far.

Told you it was a mediocre game  icon_wink
I honestly don't remember that (Did you finish it quickly) but I think you are right. I intend to go back to it at some point, but midway in chapter 2 and I am already bored silly of the nonsensical plot, kindergarten dialogue, and one trick battle system. I loved, loved, love the graphics and music though-I really will go back to it at some point. More BD tonight!

Ruining language with my terrible words.
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #322 on: October 13, 2007, 08:25:24 PM »

Quote from: EddieA on October 13, 2007, 02:47:06 AM

Quote from: Calvin on October 10, 2007, 11:57:04 PM

So my question is thus: have any of you guys played appreciably far into the game on hard, and on normal? if so, can you please recommend what you think is the more fun way of playing?

Just got my 360 and BD  headbang  I was planning on playing on Hard, but the comments at the GameFAQs forum convinced me otherwise.  It sounds like the game is extremely difficult on hard, even with lots of levelling.  I'm going to stick with Normal, and then try Impossible with my levelled up characters.

Eddie-you have any links or anything? I would like to get some more info too-I am on a little vacay this weekend so I can't get any playtime, but I still haven't decided whether to restart or not-what kind of levelling and grinding were the cretins on gamefaqs talking about? Help me decide smile
Xmann

Ironman in training

View Profile
« Reply #323 on: March 03, 2008, 01:02:45 AM »

ok, finally got this from Gamefly this weekend and gave it an hour or so.   however, since i have no manual, i have a couple gameplay mechanic questions...

spell attack bar thingy......how long do i hold it down and when to let it go?   what is the timing that i'm looking for?   

also, the circle you use with the right trigger....when you have 2 different types of creatures, is there a way to attack them both and get them both in a battle or are they separate?

The Grue

You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

View Profile
« Reply #324 on: March 03, 2008, 01:43:28 AM »

Quote from: Xmann on March 03, 2008, 01:02:45 AM

ok, finally got this from Gamefly this weekend and gave it an hour or so.   however, since i have no manual, i have a couple gameplay mechanic questions...

spell attack bar thingy......how long do i hold it down and when to let it go?   what is the timing that i'm looking for?   

also, the circle you use with the right trigger....when you have 2 different types of creatures, is there a way to attack them both and get them both in a battle or are they separate?

The deal with the bar is the longer you hold it the more powerful it is, except for the fact that there is a little red bard in side the spell bar that if it were earlier than the end, you would want to stop at.  Also, you will notice all the enemies and allies have lines touching the bar.  If you pass their line with your spell bar, you will go after them, unless you hit that red targer in the bar which sometimes allows you to go right then.  It's a hard thing to explain, so I hope I made sense.

If the enemies are both inside the circle, they will show up in the list.  You will see a selection underneath them to fight all enemies.  Choose that to fight them all back to back, unless they are opposite enemies, in which case you will get a monster fight.

XBox Live ID: The Grue
Playstation Network Name: TheGrue
Ridah
Senior Staff Writer

View Profile
« Reply #325 on: March 03, 2008, 02:12:39 AM »

Quote from: Xmann on March 03, 2008, 01:02:45 AM

Since your playing LO and this at the same time I'm curious to know how you think the graphics compare.

Sean Lama
Senior Staff Editor, GamingTrend
Farscry

View Profile
« Reply #326 on: March 03, 2008, 02:42:06 AM »

I know you didn't ask me, but I finished Blue Dragon a month ago after playing it for about four months, and I just started Lost Odyssey. So BD is recent enough for a graphic comparison for me. icon_wink

So far, LO's graphics don't look quite as sharp as BD's, but LO's textures and geometry are also a lot more detailed than BD's. So while BD was a sharper looking game overall (cleaner edges & well-defined lines/shapes), LO looks more detailed in many spots so far (only a few hours in though).

Both games, to me, look great for what they are.

Purge - You have unlocked an Achievement!
You are now of the rank reprobate
EddieA

View Profile
« Reply #327 on: March 03, 2008, 03:42:49 AM »

The Blue Dragon graphics are technically very well-done, very smooth and defined, but I found them pretty sterile.  Even Toriyama's wonderfully fanciful monster designs don't have the same charm as they do in the Dragon Quest games.  For lack of a better word, everything looks fake.  I don't know if this was a style they were going for or if it's just what happens when you render anime-style characters in high-definition detail.  I do love the way they render water, though - it's very beautiful.

"Why did the chicken cross the Mobius strip?  To get to the same side."  - The Big Bang Theory
Xmann

Ironman in training

View Profile
« Reply #328 on: March 03, 2008, 09:11:41 AM »

i second what Eddie says about the graphic comparison

now, as far as gameplay goes......i'm really not liking Blue Dragon at all thus far.   3 hours in and all i have done is wandered around this desert and randomly killed mobs and looked under every rock and tree.  not real fun thus far.  i really like the random battles of JRPG's than what Blue Dragon does.   i hate having to zig zag between all these creatures to avoid them.   i'd rather know they weren't there and fight them traditional JRPG style...or not at all.   

and where is the story?  bland or not, i have seen nothing since the opening scenes.  just wandering the desert so far.

is the game more of what i have seen thus far?  if so, i'm gonna stop while i've only put a few hours in.

warning

View Profile
« Reply #329 on: March 03, 2008, 12:29:40 PM »

I avoided almost all of the overworld battles.  The game's geared to the easy side so you don't need the extra experience.  You'll fight plenty of battles in the dungeons themselves.

I also didn't search for objects much.  Not only is it a waste of time but again you don't need the stuff you find.  That part is there for obsessive types.

I got frustrated by the first desert area too but get past it and see if it clicks for you.  The story starts to kick in and I thought the game got a lot more fun.
The Grue

View Profile
« Reply #330 on: March 03, 2008, 03:26:46 PM »

Quote from: Xmann on March 03, 2008, 09:11:41 AM

now, as far as gameplay goes......i'm really not liking Blue Dragon at all thus far.   3 hours in and all i have done is wandered around this desert and randomly killed mobs and looked under every rock and tree.  not real fun thus far.  i really like the random battles of JRPG's than what Blue Dragon does.   i hate having to zig zag between all these creatures to avoid them.   i'd rather know they weren't there and fight them traditional JRPG style...or not at all.   

and where is the story?  bland or not, i have seen nothing since the opening scenes.  just wandering the desert so far.

is the game more of what i have seen thus far?  if so, i'm gonna stop while i've only put a few hours in.

There's definitely story.  Give it time.  Now, that said, it isn't the greatest story ever told or anything.  I am enjoying it, though.  I think I am about to finish Disc 1.

Farscry

View Profile
« Reply #331 on: March 03, 2008, 07:38:15 PM »

Quote from: Xmann on March 03, 2008, 09:11:41 AM

I third Eddie's comments, it's what I was trying to say. The graphics are so clean in most spots as to seem like sterile plastic, though there are a few locations in the game that I felt were very impressive and looked great (just about perfect for the game's design aesthetic in those spots).

As for the battles, in most cases I hate seeing the mobs on the map in jrpg's, because there's really no difference between that and random encounters (see Tales of Symphonia, Chrono Cross, and the Lunar games for example) since you can't really avoid most encounters anyway. However, I actually really liked several things that Mistwalker did in designing how to handle encounters in Blue Dragon. Being able to round up several encounters into one shot was great, and allowed clearing areas and getting through more encounters more efficiently (and the more you tackled in one big multi-step encounter, the more and better bonuses you got between fights). Arranging Monster Battles was fun and helped immensely with some of the more annoying enemies. And later, when the field barrier was available, being able to rank up classes rapidly (plus skim through too-easy encounters in the late game while still picking up rank points) was just utterly awesome, made class-grinding far, far less tedious.

I'd actually like to see more jrpg's utilize similar systems to how BD handled encounters on field maps. Though I preferred the FFXII field/combat system even more. icon_biggrin But for games going the classic route, I still love random encounters (Lost Odyssey, Dragon Quest, etc).

Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #332 on: March 03, 2008, 07:45:00 PM »

I'm okay with random encounters but I prefer it when I can see the enemies first on the field map, especially if there is another mechanic associated with it (ie if you hit them unaware you get an advantage in combat, etc). 
EddieA

View Profile
« Reply #333 on: March 03, 2008, 08:25:31 PM »

One of the big advantages of visible enemies is that once they're gone, they're gone.  If you clear out an area, you can search for side areas/treasure without worrying about random battles.  This is especially true with games with puzzles.  It's very frustrating fighting random battles while trying to figure out a puzzle.

"Why did the chicken cross the Mobius strip?  To get to the same side."  - The Big Bang Theory
warning

View Profile
« Reply #334 on: March 03, 2008, 11:11:08 PM »

Quote from: EddieA on March 03, 2008, 08:25:31 PM

One of the big advantages of visible enemies is that once they're gone, they're gone.  If you clear out an area, you can search for side areas/treasure without worrying about random battles.  This is especially true with games with puzzles.  It's very frustrating fighting random battles while trying to figure out a puzzle.

Not in Blue Dragon.  You'd kill one monster on the world map and another would spring up 10 seconds later.  Now in the dungeons, once you killed a monster that was it.
The Grue

View Profile
« Reply #335 on: March 03, 2008, 11:19:03 PM »

Quote from: warning on March 03, 2008, 11:11:08 PM

Now in the dungeons, once you killed a monster that was it.

I believe this is what he was trying to say.  Any puzzle I have run into in this game has pretty much been in a dungeon.

Farscry

View Profile
« Reply #336 on: March 04, 2008, 02:25:01 AM »

Quote from: The Grue on March 03, 2008, 11:19:03 PM

Quote from: warning on March 03, 2008, 11:11:08 PM

Now in the dungeons, once you killed a monster that was it.

I believe this is what he was trying to say.  Any puzzle I have run into in this game has pretty much been in a dungeon.

Yup, that's what Warning was getting at, and to be honest, that's a point I'd forgotten. Some of the areas were a little confusing at times, and if I'd had to keep dealing with truly random encounters, I think I'd possibly have simply gotten tired of it.

Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #337 on: March 04, 2008, 05:10:32 PM »

Started this last night after suffering from a lack of interest in the Lost Odyssey dungeon I was exploring. 

I'm even more impressed with BD than I thought I would be.  It feels sort of a like a tonic to all of the annoyances that I've been having with LO.  Right from the outset BD has a number of mechanics that push my JRPG buttons- quick battles, a job system, a monster compendium, visible monsters on the overworld, and I was particularly impressed with the cool encounter radius stuff, especially the Monster Fight mechanic.

Time will tell if these mechanics hold up in the long run but my immediate impression is that this one has a little more meat to it than Lost Odyssey.  Also, I started using the Hard difficulty setting.

Graphics were also very attractive and, so far, performance is fine. 
kathode

View Profile
« Reply #338 on: March 04, 2008, 05:22:24 PM »

Quote from: Kevin Grey on March 04, 2008, 05:10:32 PM

Started this last night after suffering from a lack of interest in the Lost Odyssey dungeon I was exploring. 

I'm even more impressed with BD than I thought I would be.  It feels sort of a like a tonic to all of the annoyances that I've been having with LO.  Right from the outset BD has a number of mechanics that push my JRPG buttons- quick battles, a job system, a monster compendium, visible monsters on the overworld, and I was particularly impressed with the cool encounter radius stuff, especially the Monster Fight mechanic.

Time will tell if these mechanics hold up in the long run but my immediate impression is that this one has a little more meat to it than Lost Odyssey.  Also, I started using the Hard difficulty setting.

Graphics were also very attractive and, so far, performance is fine. 

I have lost faith in the world.  Enjoy hammering A everywhere you go.
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #339 on: March 04, 2008, 05:26:38 PM »

Quote from: kathode on March 04, 2008, 05:22:24 PM

Is that necessary though?  I did it in a few areas and was rewarded with some gold and minor items like medicine but I didn't see anything that essential that made me feel compelled to do it.  Maybe that changes later.  In contrast, in LO, there are some relatively powerful rings, weapons, and spells hidden in the environment.  Because of that, LO really pegs my obsessive-compulsive meter and I feel like I *have* to explore every nook and cranny.  So far (only two hours), BD doesn't give me that feeling. 
The Grue

View Profile
« Reply #340 on: March 04, 2008, 05:39:28 PM »

I don't hammer A looking for things (except book cases, because they have little stories in them) and I am playing the game just fine.  Which reminds me, I want to post my impressions now that I am on Disc 2.  I am really enjoying the hell out of this game.  The story won't win awards for - well, for anything - but it is keeping me interested despite not being overly deep.  I love the graphics in this game.  Everything is nice and brightly colored (can't say the same about a game like Oblivion, despite how much I love it) and I just love the look of the game.  My favorite graphics moment came with the wall murals.  I love Native-looking art and they are just so nicely done and colorful.

I like both the battle system (where you can decide how strong you want to make an attack at the cost of having to maybe do it later in the turn or possibly hit the sweet spot and get it off that turn) and the class system (where I get to mix and match all the different classes for my characters).  Only downsides as far as gameplay mechanics are limited armor combinations and it being on the easy side, but even the difficult not being very high doesn't really bother me as I am enjoying playing the game.  I haven't even come close to a party wipeout and it's okay.  I will get my challenge when I start Lost Odyssey.

I think people maybe got disappointed in this because they were expecting something that it isn't, a serious story with tons of depth or even real in-depth character development.  And yet, I do find myself caring about the characters and therefore it has at least done that part of its job.  So, for me, I am loving it and can't wait to see it to its conclusion.

Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #341 on: March 04, 2008, 05:44:13 PM »

* Purge hits the A button

Look guys, I found my keys! biggrin

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
kathode

View Profile
« Reply #342 on: March 04, 2008, 06:13:14 PM »

Quote from: Kevin Grey on March 04, 2008, 05:26:38 PM

Is that necessary though?  I did it in a few areas and was rewarded with some gold and minor items like medicine but I didn't see anything that essential that made me feel compelled to do it.  Maybe that changes later.  In contrast, in LO, there are some relatively powerful rings, weapons, and spells hidden in the environment.  Because of that, LO really pegs my obsessive-compulsive meter and I feel like I *have* to explore every nook and cranny.  So far (only two hours), BD doesn't give me that feeling. 

It's probably not necessary but WHO KNOWS?  That's called brilliant design!  It's garbage gameplay either way, but at least in Lost Odyssey stuff is found in objects that are largely consistent throughout the world. 

Don't let my personal hate get in the way of your enjoyment.  I just really have trouble understanding where people find the good in this game. *shrug*  Not for me.
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #343 on: March 04, 2008, 09:27:17 PM »

I am not necessarily agreeing with you on BD here-which I am only about 6 hours into and have very mixed thoughts about-but even very early into LO I am finding exactly the same thing you are in terms of item collection. I was actually explaining this issue to Kathode yesterday-the fact that I have the guide only exacerbates it. While I am not sure I prefer anything about BD to LO, the simple fact that the items you find there (while totally random and unncessary for the most part) can offer you a little help, but are of minimal importance over all. Chances are you won't miss anything if you never bother.

LO is the polar opposite. If you don't have the guide (or a good FAQ), you will miss out on countless spells, items to skill link, lots of money, and absolutely vital skill slot seeds. These are not small things-many of them can really affect the way you play the game. I had almost every optional item each step of the way, and having fought three bosses-I know I was well prepared-and I have yet to die in a boss fight (and I only read the spoilers in the guide for the first boss). So, great right, this is wonderful? Well, yeah, it is, but I think we have firmly gotten to the point in RPGs where we are beyond this type of treasure trove gameplay-or at least item collection mechanic. It does almost nothing to reward the player for good, smart play, rather it rewards you for buying the guide or having RPG OCD as KMG and myself seem to have. All of the Final Fantasies that I remember get by without this convention, Blue Dragon mostly avoided it. PC rpg's are guilty of throwing items everywhere, but I cannot think of a modern game where they were truly important items. Reward the player for skill-beating hard to find enemies, bosses, the occasional rare spawn (FF12 handled this MMO concept brililantly) rather than their patience.

I find myself at this point into LO, actually having my enjoyment diminished because I own the guide. The game is linear in the first place, and combine that with the fact that I know that if I wander on through I will miss all these items from searching and the obscure sidequests and it makes it hard for me to just turn the page and keep playing, it inspires a sort of compulsion to go back to the guide and refresh where that last item was in your mind. When some maps have 10+ items, and there are a half dozen maps per city, you start to get the idea that this is a little out of control. Yes a bit of self control and a reality check with RPG OCD might solve this problem, but its clear that there are others on this board (And elsewhere that have the same reaction to the loot collecting). So I haven't yet decided how I am going to approach this situation, but it is by far my biggest complaint with LO, and one that I think (if you choose to pursue it so you can become as powerful as possible) breaks up the flow of the narrative and the game, does nothing to eliminate the linearity, and does a disservice to hardcore grinders.

I still really like the game though-I just have to decide how I want to approach it to continue. I can tell you that in BD, even in replays of old Infinity engine games-its few and far between when I bother looking in treasure chests anymore unless they are after a tough fight.
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #344 on: March 04, 2008, 09:34:33 PM »

Yeah, that's exactly my problem with the hidden items in LO- I don't really enjoy walking around and finding them (especially since the animations take so long) but I feel like if I don't then I will be at a severe disadvantage in the game.  I agree that it's probably the worst case of this particular mechanic I've ever seen. 

Although I'm thinking of using the guide in an opposite sense- ie just looking for really important items so I don't spend a lot of time backtracking and solving a puzzle just to find a disposable healing item.  If I start doing that then I think my enjoyment of LO might increase. 
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #345 on: March 04, 2008, 09:56:56 PM »

Quote from: Kevin Grey on March 04, 2008, 09:34:33 PM

Yeah, that's exactly my problem with the hidden items in LO- I don't really enjoy walking around and finding them (especially since the animations take so long) but I feel like if I don't then I will be at a severe disadvantage in the game.  I agree that it's probably the worst case of this particular mechanic I've ever seen. 

Although I'm thinking of using the guide in an opposite sense- ie just looking for really important items so I don't spend a lot of time backtracking and solving a puzzle just to find a disposable healing item.  If I start doing that then I think my enjoyment of LO might increase. 

Oh I agree entirely-that is how I want to approach it-but then I glance at the map I am on, and see 13 items or something absurd (like for the area near the canals in Numara) and my casual exploration just went out the window as I traipse around looking for everything-its a fine line and obviously self-control is what I need the most-but I think I am going to approach it the way you are suggesting. Take a quick glance at new areas, see if there is something really important to target, and otherwise just go roll on through and see what I see. The sidequests in Numara were particularly guilty of the "follow the guide all the time" gameplay. If you don't know to play with this little girl not once, but twice, and know where to find her, you can't get access to a "secret" store with good items and an awesome ring building guy. That is not fun gameplay, and that has been what has been keeping me glued to the guide (and likely why in 7 hours+ I am still in Numara). I must find a way to do it yet still have fun, because as much as I like LO, I think I am guilty of hampering my own fun with it so far.
EddieA

View Profile
« Reply #346 on: March 04, 2008, 10:35:41 PM »

I can't imagine that, even if you never got any of the extra items or did any sidequests, you wouldn't be able to complete the game just fine.  I've gotten most of the items so far, and feel like I'm pretty overpowered.  I wiped out the second boss (the one people say is difficult) very easily.  Personally, I prefer the method is Lost Odyssey, where you actually find useful items, rather than the mostly worthless stuff in BD.  I feel it rewards thorough exploration rather than obsessiveness, and I love exploration in RPGs.  Also, unlike BD, where almost everything could be searched, it's usually obvious the types of things you can search in LO, plus you're notified when you can search things.  As for the hard-to-find sidequests, I think RPG developers put these in more to give players extra things to do on replays rather than expecting players to find them the first time through.

warning

View Profile
« Reply #347 on: March 04, 2008, 10:42:11 PM »

Quote from: kathode on March 04, 2008, 06:13:14 PM

It's probably not necessary but WHO KNOWS?  That's called brilliant design!  It's garbage gameplay either way, but at least in Lost Odyssey stuff is found in objects that are largely consistent throughout the world.

It's completely not necessary.  It seems like it's a mechanic they put in for obsessive-collector types but I think I searched maybe 20 things total through the game and it was fine.

I was surprised by how much I enjoyed Blue Dragon.  I didn't stop for any other games once I got started with it.
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #348 on: March 05, 2008, 03:42:45 PM »

Wow, so hard in this game is actually pretty challenging.  I only got past the first real boss by the skin of my teeth. I was having to use almost every HP and MP restoring item I had found in that game to the point and if it had gone for another round or two then it would have all been over. 

Then I stumbled on what seemed to be an optional boss in another dungeon and he wiped me out (admittedly, I should have acted earlier and tried fleeing). 

Even some of the "normal" monsters are challenging, forcing me to use the encounter ring system to try and lure some "bait" into a battle so the toughie can focus on them while I whittle down his hitpoints. 
warning

View Profile
« Reply #349 on: March 05, 2008, 06:57:03 PM »

I may... MAY... replay this game at some point.  I think you can do a New Game + and I'd like to give it a try on the hardest setting with my uber-party and see what happens.
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #350 on: March 05, 2008, 07:01:26 PM »

Quote from: warning on March 05, 2008, 06:57:03 PM

I may... MAY... replay this game at some point.  I think you can do a New Game + and I'd like to give it a try on the hardest setting with my uber-party and see what happens.

There is definitely New Game+.  I think it was added in the free content DLC that also provided the Hard difficulty.

Yes, you should replay it- I feel cheated we didn't get a report of your travels on RPG Rewind (though BD doesn't qualify though I guess you're expanding that now with the inclusion of DQ8). 
warning

View Profile
« Reply #351 on: March 06, 2008, 12:15:15 AM »

Quote from: Kevin Grey on March 05, 2008, 07:01:26 PM

There is definitely New Game+.  I think it was added in the free content DLC that also provided the Hard difficulty.

Yes, you should replay it- I feel cheated we didn't get a report of your travels on RPG Rewind (though BD doesn't qualify though I guess you're expanding that now with the inclusion of DQ8). 

Cool.  I might do that sometime.  I actually thought about writing up a review for RPG Rewind but I moved on to Dragon Quest VIII and haven't looked back.  I think Blue Dragon would get a firm 8 on the 7-9 scale.

And DQ8 was originally released in Japan in 2004... it's a sorta rewind I guess.   icon_redface
godhugh

View Profile
« Reply #352 on: March 06, 2008, 02:30:01 AM »

Quote from: warning on March 06, 2008, 12:15:15 AM

Quote from: Kevin Grey on March 05, 2008, 07:01:26 PM

Cool.  I might do that sometime.  I actually thought about writing up a review for RPG Rewind but I moved on to Dragon Quest VIII and haven't looked back.  I think Blue Dragon would get a firm 8 on the 7-9 scale.

And DQ8 was originally released in Japan in 2004... it's a sorta rewind I guess.   icon_redface

Not to get too far offtopic, but I just read your latest post on RPG Rewind and I'd really recommend at least doing the first extra trial and then getting the "true" ending. It's a good bit of fun smile.
warning

View Profile
« Reply #353 on: March 06, 2008, 03:16:40 AM »

Hmm... I have some questions but I don't want to divert this thread.  I'll dig up the old DQ8 thread and post in there.
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #354 on: February 06, 2009, 05:55:30 PM »

ARISE!!

So I finally broke down and picked up BD this week.  I must say that in all my years of RPG gaming, there have been few games that have immediately turned me off as much as this one has.   I typically give any RPG the "8 hour test" before making any judgements.  However, I'm only two hours in and seriously considering shelving this one already.  This game has possibly the most cliche, dull, and annoying cast of characters I have ever seen.  The story and writing are laughably bad.  The music is so incredibly bland that I refuse to believe it's done by Uematsu.  The combat is OK, I suppose, but really nothing special.

Does it get any better?

Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #355 on: February 06, 2009, 06:10:45 PM »

Story improves a bit but if you don't care for that or the characters at all at the beginning then I doubt your opinion would change.

I like the music quite a bit personally and really enjoy the actual world design.  I think the gameplay systems are the real strength but I don't think you really get to see that initially unless you play in hard mode.  On normal the game is just too easy to need to exploit the gameplay systems at all. 
denoginizer

View Profile
« Reply #356 on: February 06, 2009, 06:40:10 PM »

Quote from: Gratch on February 06, 2009, 05:55:30 PM

I typically give any RPG the "8 hour test" before making any judgements. 

8 hours?  icon_eek

Wow. 

I typically give a game the 1 hour test.  If a game can't convince me to stick around after one hour I'm gone.

Xbox Live Tag: denoginizer
PSN Name: denoginizer
The Grue

View Profile
« Reply #357 on: February 06, 2009, 07:12:57 PM »

Quote from: denoginizer on February 06, 2009, 06:40:10 PM

I typically give a game the 1 hour test.  If a game can't convince me to stick around after one hour I'm gone.

Some RPGs don't even let you control your character until 1 hour in.

Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #358 on: February 06, 2009, 07:17:12 PM »

Quote from: The Grue on February 06, 2009, 07:12:57 PM

Yup, hence the 8 hour test  smile

I'm not nearly as patient with other genres, but many RPG's typically have either complex stories or combat systems that don't really begin to flesh out until you give them some time. 

denoginizer

View Profile
« Reply #359 on: February 06, 2009, 07:20:32 PM »

Quote from: The Grue on February 06, 2009, 07:12:57 PM

That's why I rarely play RPGs.   icon_biggrin

After 1 hour of staring at the screen and not doing anything I would immediately throw the game disk out the window.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2009, 07:49:04 PM by denoginizer » Logged

Xbox Live Tag: denoginizer
PSN Name: denoginizer
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: