http://gamingtrend.com
September 02, 2014, 06:58:29 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Blue Dragon Getting Some Poor Reviews  (Read 19826 times)
Farscry
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« Reply #280 on: September 10, 2007, 02:41:35 PM »

Just started it this weekend, and I'm really going to enjoy playing through this! icon_biggrin I doubt I'll wind up with many achievements given the ludicrous nature of a lot of them, but man is the game itself a lot of fun despite that horrible Marumaru voice.

Purge - You have unlocked an Achievement!
You are now of the rank reprobate
Azhag

View Profile
« Reply #281 on: September 10, 2007, 08:31:39 PM »

Hehe, congrats on the many achievements... glad to know it would have taken me over 30 more hours to get them though... makes me feel ok about not doing so.
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #282 on: September 10, 2007, 08:34:52 PM »

seen as though xbox live is screwed up at the moment,i think tonight is a perfect time for a few hours of getting back to this.

Manchester United Premier League Champions 2013!!

Xbox LIVE:Metallicorphan
Wii:8565 1513 0206 1960
PSN:Metallicorphan
Ridah
Senior Staff Writer

View Profile
« Reply #283 on: September 10, 2007, 09:08:19 PM »

How the heck is this game taking 70+ hours to complete for some of you and 40+ for others?

Sean Lama
Senior Staff Editor, GamingTrend
Farscry

View Profile
« Reply #284 on: September 10, 2007, 09:40:53 PM »

It probably depends on how thorough you are on going back to get all the hidden goodies you can find throughout the game; so far the areas I've thoroughly searched all have places I'll come back for later.

I took around 60-70 hours for my playthrough of Final Fantasy XII, for instance, and barely scratched the sidequests (probably did about 1/4-1/3 of the Mark hunts), while I know of others who beat the game in a mere 30-40 hours.

EddieA

View Profile
« Reply #285 on: September 11, 2007, 03:33:55 AM »

Quote from: Ridah on September 10, 2007, 09:08:19 PM

How the heck is this game taking 70+ hours to complete for some of you and 40+ for others?

Console RPGs are usually like that.  Unless the game is completely linear and has no sidequests, times will vary wildly.  It almost always takes me twice as long as most people to finish RPGs.  It all depends on how much of the game's content you want to experience.

"Why did the chicken cross the Mobius strip?  To get to the same side."  - The Big Bang Theory
Azhag

View Profile
« Reply #286 on: September 11, 2007, 03:35:06 AM »

I did most of the side-quests, but didn't go back to places to find treasures I couldn't access earlier. And didn't do a few things such as finding the dragons. Plus I don't think I spent as much time leveling up as most people.
kathode

View Profile
« Reply #287 on: September 11, 2007, 08:49:18 PM »

Well let's get one thing out of the way right up front - The boss battle music is one of the worst ideas of all time.  The battle music itself is fairly annoying, but then for boss battles they take that and add a whole layer of lyrical horribleness on top of it.  I can see people might say that it shows them not taking themselves seriously, but whatever, it's like a bad hair metal cover band.  How the hell did this idea get pitched?  "Hey lets put in a rock song with lyrics that repeats over and over again and play the exact same one for every single boss battle!" UGH.  Every time I go into a boss battle it's like I stumbled into a bar on high school battle-of-the-bands night by accident.  Just awful.

I guess I will be the voice of dissent.  I've played about ten hours and can't shake the feeling that this game is pretty bad.  The characters to me look like they're fresh out of one of those "How to Draw Anime" books and the threadbare story isn't helping matters.  The environments are all barren as can be so far.  It's maybe slightly more detailed than the overworld of Dragon Quest 8, which is disappointing given that they're wielding significantly more horsepower.  Maybe comparisons to FF12 are overreaching for this game, but man I think about the stuff they pulled off with those environments on the PS2 and this just totally pales.  The battles seem pretty average and I just don't find the enemies that compelling.  I like the character system as an idea but I dislike the fact that each of your characters is identical in abilities and equipment usage.  I like some forced specialization in party members in these games.  And don't start me on searching absolutely every little nook and cranny for loot.  That was fun gameplay in what, 1994?  I know it's roughly optional but OCD folks like me are constantly afraid of missing something.

I don't know, maybe I'm was weaned for too long on Final Fantasy style games.  I tend to like jRPGs quite a bit but this game just isn't working for me.  I'm at 13 hours on the clock.  I'll probably give it another night or two before throwing in the towel.
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #288 on: September 11, 2007, 10:37:47 PM »

Quote from: kathode on September 11, 2007, 08:49:18 PM

Well let's get one thing out of the way right up front - The boss battle music is one of the worst ideas of all time.  The battle music itself is fairly annoying, but then for boss battles they take that and add a whole layer of lyrical horribleness on top of it.  I can see people might say that it shows them not taking themselves seriously, but whatever, it's like a bad hair metal cover band.  How the hell did this idea get pitched?  "Hey lets put in a rock song with lyrics that repeats over and over again and play the exact same one for every single boss battle!" UGH.  Every time I go into a boss battle it's like I stumbled into a bar on high school battle-of-the-bands night by accident.  Just awful.

I guess I will be the voice of dissent.  I've played about ten hours and can't shake the feeling that this game is pretty bad.  The characters to me look like they're fresh out of one of those "How to Draw Anime" books and the threadbare story isn't helping matters.  The environments are all barren as can be so far.  It's maybe slightly more detailed than the overworld of Dragon Quest 8, which is disappointing given that they're wielding significantly more horsepower.  Maybe comparisons to FF12 are overreaching for this game, but man I think about the stuff they pulled off with those environments on the PS2 and this just totally pales.  The battles seem pretty average and I just don't find the enemies that compelling.  I like the character system as an idea but I dislike the fact that each of your characters is identical in abilities and equipment usage.  I like some forced specialization in party members in these games.  And don't start me on searching absolutely every little nook and cranny for loot.  That was fun gameplay in what, 1994?  I know it's roughly optional but OCD folks like me are constantly afraid of missing something.

I don't know, maybe I'm was weaned for too long on Final Fantasy style games.  I tend to like jRPGs quite a bit but this game just isn't working for me.  I'm at 13 hours on the clock.  I'll probably give it another night or two before throwing in the towel.

I haven't hit a boss battle yet in BD, but I remember that music being a huge turn off in the demo.  It reminds me of the similarly cheese-metal from the Wii Sonic game, which otherwise wasn't too bad.

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
Farscry

View Profile
« Reply #289 on: September 12, 2007, 02:43:25 AM »

The boss battle music goes along with Marumaru's voice acting into the "no, seriously, what the fuck were they thinking?!" category. Hate 'em both with a passion.

Azhag

View Profile
« Reply #290 on: September 12, 2007, 03:34:29 AM »

Yeah, but you can learn to ignore both the boss music and marumaru... plus, they are very "anime", so it somewhat fits the style.
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #291 on: September 12, 2007, 10:46:46 AM »

did someone say its deep purples lead singer?

and i am gonna go against the grain and say that i like the boss music,it gets me shaking my head to the music as i fight icon_biggrin

Farscry

View Profile
« Reply #292 on: September 12, 2007, 02:20:54 PM »

Quote from: Azhag on September 12, 2007, 03:34:29 AM

Yeah, but you can learn to ignore both the boss music and marumaru... plus, they are very "anime", so it somewhat fits the style.

The boss music I can tolerate, Marumaru... now that's much more trying on not only my patience, but my poor partner's patience. She rarely actually complains about a game, but within a minute after Maru showed up, she was commenting on how annoying he was.

And she was in another room.  Tongue

metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #293 on: September 29, 2007, 06:04:10 AM »

yay..i finally beat it,after getting sidetracked by COD4,and halo3 ....great game overall,the last dungeon did start to feel very tedious,but it had a good ending so its done now anyway,LOL

after the game i reloaded my save so i could go and kill the gold mecha robot(there are a few optional bosses around the world,that you get achievements for)....so i jumped him,and the fight started....he had first blow....he hit one of my characters for 1200 points.....i turned the machine off without doing anything else,LOL...i think i will give those achievements a miss

anyway,back to COD4,i have until sunday night to get to rank 25!!

EddieA

View Profile
« Reply #294 on: September 29, 2007, 06:44:50 AM »

The free bonus pack with the additional difficulty levels is out now.

"Why did the chicken cross the Mobius strip?  To get to the same side."  - The Big Bang Theory
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #295 on: September 29, 2007, 07:17:08 AM »

Quote from: EddieA on September 29, 2007, 06:44:50 AM

The free bonus pack with the additional difficulty levels is out now.

Is it anything different than the HK content? Worth getting? When I eventually go back to BD I am actually considering restarting on normal. I started orginally on hard, and it was SO hard that I couldn't get out of the area past the sheep village so I had to turn around and grind. That's kinda rough for 2 hours into the game lol!
EddieA

View Profile
« Reply #296 on: September 29, 2007, 07:41:42 AM »

According to IGN -
The download, available now on the Xbox Live Marketplace, includes the modes Hard Game, which lets you play at a difficulty level twice as high as the original, and Impossible Game, described as "the ultimate in difficulty, meant to be played starting at level 50 or higher." A third option contained in the update, called Game Plus, lets players start over using a saved game from near the end of the story.

Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #297 on: September 29, 2007, 07:45:47 AM »

Quote from: EddieA on September 29, 2007, 07:41:42 AM

According to IGN -
The download, available now on the Xbox Live Marketplace, includes the modes Hard Game, which lets you play at a difficulty level twice as high as the original, and Impossible Game, described as "the ultimate in difficulty, meant to be played starting at level 50 or higher." A third option contained in the update, called Game Plus, lets players start over using a saved game from near the end of the story.
See, twice as hard is too much-which way did you start Eddie? Because I definitely want to go back to BD, but I don't want it to be a pushover, nor do I really want to have to grind every town just to advance-thats not fun at all.
EddieA

View Profile
« Reply #298 on: September 29, 2007, 09:39:06 AM »

I don't actually have the game (or a 360) yet.  I've just been following the thread because I'm interested in the game.  I will have it in about a month, as that's when the holiday 360 bundle is supposed to come out, and Blue Dragon is one of the games that I'll be buying with the system.

Farscry

View Profile
« Reply #299 on: September 29, 2007, 05:24:06 PM »

I enjoy it on normal mode so far (nearing the end of disc 1, about 23 hours in), but it's quite easy. There's only been a few fights that were actually tough so far. I've heard disc 2 gets a little tougher in the second half though. I'd probably have started on "hard" if it had been available from the get-go (no, I didn't want to bother with the HK downloads, I'm having fun as it is anyway).

Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #300 on: September 29, 2007, 09:37:58 PM »

Quote from: Farscry on September 29, 2007, 05:24:06 PM

I enjoy it on normal mode so far (nearing the end of disc 1, about 23 hours in), but it's quite easy. There's only been a few fights that were actually tough so far. I've heard disc 2 gets a little tougher in the second half though. I'd probably have started on "hard" if it had been available from the get-go (no, I didn't want to bother with the HK downloads, I'm having fun as it is anyway).

Well Farscry, I had originally started on normal just long enough to get into a few fights, and let me tell you when they say twice as difficult, they mean it. The very first poo snakes do twice as much damage and take twice as many hits to kill. It's no joke hard. I guess when I get back to it I will just see how much grinding it takes to move on and evaluate it from there whether I will restart.

EddieA-I hang my head in shame for you-the 360 rules your world biggrin
EddieA

View Profile
« Reply #301 on: September 30, 2007, 05:16:50 AM »

Quote from: Calvin on September 29, 2007, 09:37:58 PM

EddieA-I hang my head in shame for you-the 360 rules your world biggrin

Soon, it shall be mine  nod  If it hadn't been for the instability issues, I probably would have caved when Blue Dragon came out.  By getting one of the new bundle packs, I will hopefully get of one of the new models with the better heatsinks, plus two free games (Forza 2 and Marvel Ultimate Alliance).  Right now, I'm planning on picking up Blue Dragon, Eternal Sonata, Enchanted Arms, and probably one other game (after I download and play some demos) as well as a couple games from XBLA (Catan and Carcasonne).  That ought to keep me busy for awhile (not that I'm not already busy with Wild ARMs 5, Growlanser, Persona 3, and all my other unfinished games slywink).

Xmann

Ironman in training

View Profile
« Reply #302 on: September 30, 2007, 11:43:58 AM »

Well i've been keeping an eye on this thread in deciding on whether i'll grab this next after Eternal Sonata.   I know they are different games, but i'm still unsure as to whether i'll enjoy it or not.

Farscry

View Profile
« Reply #303 on: September 30, 2007, 04:14:18 PM »

Quote from: Calvin on September 29, 2007, 09:37:58 PM

Quote from: Farscry on September 29, 2007, 05:24:06 PM

Well Farscry, I had originally started on normal just long enough to get into a few fights, and let me tell you when they say twice as difficult, they mean it. The very first poo snakes do twice as much damage and take twice as many hits to kill. It's no joke hard. I guess when I get back to it I will just see how much grinding it takes to move on and evaluate it from there whether I will restart.

I sure wouldn't mind having to actually heal someone once in a while, so that could be appealing. icon_wink

Brendan

two oh sickness

View Profile
« Reply #304 on: September 30, 2007, 04:18:14 PM »

There's a new download for it as of earlier this week:

Content: Ultra Hard Mod
Price: Free
Availability: Not available in Japan
Dash Text: [ESRB: T (Teen) FANTASY VIOLENCE] The Ultra Hard Mod adds three new features to Blue Dragon. New Game Plus is a game mode that allows you to start your game over using a saved game from near the end of Blue Dragon. The Hard game mode allows you to play at a difficulty level that is twice as high as the original. The Impossible game mode is the ultimate in difficulty and is meant to be played starting at Level 50 or higher. © 2007 BIRD STUDIO / MISTWALKER, INC. All Rights Reserved. © 2007 Microsoft Corporation. All Rights Reserved. BLUE DRAGON contains AT&T Natural Voices® Text to Speech technology licensed from Wizzard Software Corporation. Microsoft, the Microsoft Game Studios logo, Blue Dragon, Xbox, Xbox 360, Xbox LIVE and the Xbox logos are trademarks of the Microsoft group of companies.
Farscry

View Profile
« Reply #305 on: September 30, 2007, 04:22:30 PM »

Yup. Only problem is that it doesn't change anything mid-game. At 20+ hours in, I'm not restarting for that, so I'll still have to wait until I beat it to replay on that difficulty.

Which I likely will do down the road; the game's a lot of fun!

Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #306 on: September 30, 2007, 07:46:38 PM »

Quote from: Brendan on September 30, 2007, 04:18:14 PM

There's a new download for it as of earlier this week:

Content: Ultra Hard Mod
Price: Free
Availability: Not available in Japan
Dash Text: [ESRB: T (Teen) FANTASY VIOLENCE] The Ultra Hard Mod adds three new features to Blue Dragon. New Game Plus is a game mode that allows you to start your game over using a saved game from near the end of Blue Dragon. The Hard game mode allows you to play at a difficulty level that is twice as high as the original. The Impossible game mode is the ultimate in difficulty and is meant to be played starting at Level 50 or higher. © 2007 BIRD STUDIO / MISTWALKER, INC. All Rights Reserved. © 2007 Microsoft Corporation. All Rights Reserved. BLUE DRAGON contains AT&T Natural Voices® Text to Speech technology licensed from Wizzard Software Corporation. Microsoft, the Microsoft Game Studios logo, Blue Dragon, Xbox, Xbox 360, Xbox LIVE and the Xbox logos are trademarks of the Microsoft group of companies.
Yeah, this is the one that MS dropped the ball and should have had available at release (and that they promised would be!) so people like Farscry wouldn't be halfway into the game before they had the option to start on hard. Oh well, it's done now, and its not like MGS did much more than push BD out to die domestically. What can you do.
Lee

View Profile
« Reply #307 on: October 01, 2007, 03:35:24 AM »

How come I keep getting accessories I can't equip? Like leather belts, a bow tie, etc.
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #308 on: October 01, 2007, 06:44:37 AM »

Quote from: Lee on October 01, 2007, 03:35:24 AM

How come I keep getting accessories I can't equip? Like leather belts, a bow tie, etc.

level up generalist,then you get accessory slots

Farscry

View Profile
« Reply #309 on: October 01, 2007, 05:10:57 PM »

Yup, the generalist class earns you the "Accessory" skill, which allows you to equip those additional "special" accessories.

Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #310 on: October 10, 2007, 11:57:04 PM »

Ok all, I have a rather urgent question-I am about 5.5 hours in, and I am currently playing on Hard. I am having a difficult time sometimes with normal mobs, and I am only
Spoiler for Hiden:
just into the eastern lot wilderness-thats the third area in 5.5 hours!! I had to grind and grind and grind to get enough levels to hope to beat the dragonzebrawierdo
. So my question is thus: have any of you guys played appreciably far into the game on hard, and on normal? if so, can you please recommend what you think is the more fun way of playing? I have a notoriously short attention span with RPGs, and while I genuinely like BD, I am concerned that I might need to restart on normal to enjoy this one-I really do not think I am in a place where I can justify grinding an hour before moving from to town to town as fun.

Help, thoughts, advice?
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #311 on: October 11, 2007, 03:13:56 AM »

One more desperate bump, trying to get some thoughts from you all before I continue, so I am just in limbo now smile
Farscry

View Profile
« Reply #312 on: October 11, 2007, 01:02:02 PM »

If you don't want to be forced into grinding, play on Normal. It's a DQ-style jrpg, man. icon_biggrin

Downside to normal is that I haven't found myself really challenged much at all yet.

Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #313 on: October 11, 2007, 01:09:15 PM »

I've never understood the masochistic bent some RPG players have, and the absolute necessity to play a "hard mode".  When a game becomes so difficult that it's more frustrating than fun, that's usually the time I'll put it down.

“My next great decision is just lying in wait.
The action might turn out to be the world's most grievous mistake."
- Bad Religion, Past is Dead
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #314 on: October 11, 2007, 04:11:51 PM »

i never did try the hard mode.....but look at it this way Calvin,i played on normal and it took me 55hrs to finish...which isnt bad really for any game,and i missed a few side quests as well

Andrew Mallon

View Profile
« Reply #315 on: October 11, 2007, 04:43:48 PM »

Quote from: Gratch on October 11, 2007, 01:09:15 PM

I've never understood the masochistic bent some RPG players have, and the absolute necessity to play a "hard mode".  When a game becomes so difficult that it's more frustrating than fun, that's usually the time I'll put it down.

Some people like a challenge?
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #316 on: October 11, 2007, 09:29:27 PM »

Ok I am just going to give myself an hour or two more on hard and see how the next area is and then give myself an hour or two during a football game or somethign to restart on normal and see how big the difference is-then I will decide.I am glad I gave this one a second chance though, I soured on Eternal Sonata pretty quick but am really enjoying BD so far.
Andrew Mallon

View Profile
« Reply #317 on: October 11, 2007, 09:40:15 PM »

Quote from: Calvin on October 11, 2007, 09:29:27 PM

I soured on Eternal Sonata pretty quick but am really enjoying BD so far.

Told you it was a mediocre game  icon_wink
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #318 on: October 11, 2007, 11:04:51 PM »

Quote from: Andrew Mallon on October 11, 2007, 09:40:15 PM

Quote from: Calvin on October 11, 2007, 09:29:27 PM

I soured on Eternal Sonata pretty quick but am really enjoying BD so far.

Told you it was a mediocre game  icon_wink
I honestly don't remember that (Did you finish it quickly) but I think you are right. I intend to go back to it at some point, but midway in chapter 2 and I am already bored silly of the nonsensical plot, kindergarten dialogue, and one trick battle system. I loved, loved, love the graphics and music though-I really will go back to it at some point. More BD tonight!
EddieA

View Profile
« Reply #319 on: October 13, 2007, 02:47:06 AM »

Quote from: Calvin on October 10, 2007, 11:57:04 PM

So my question is thus: have any of you guys played appreciably far into the game on hard, and on normal? if so, can you please recommend what you think is the more fun way of playing?

Just got my 360 and BD  headbang  I was planning on playing on Hard, but the comments at the GameFAQs forum convinced me otherwise.  It sounds like the game is extremely difficult on hard, even with lots of levelling.  I'm going to stick with Normal, and then try Impossible with my levelled up characters.

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: