http://gamingtrend.com
September 30, 2014, 02:30:03 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 10   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Blue Dragon Getting Some Poor Reviews  (Read 19962 times)
Ridah
Senior Staff Writer
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« Reply #240 on: September 06, 2007, 06:25:32 AM »

I'm having a problem with the game:

Spoiler for Hiden:
So I got to Jibra Castle and now we are attacking Nene's ship, I defeated the last of those four robot guardians.

Immediately after the game just went blank. It's not the Xbox because I can hit the guide button and it brings up the guide menu, and it shows the word Paused on the blank screen. I'm suspecting I'm supposed to switch to disc 2 but I don't want to mess up the save or anything. Anyone know?

*After Edit*

Well it definately didn't want me to swap to disc 2. I guess the game just messed up, I reloaded from the save point and played up to the point again, it froze before a cutscene was going to play. Loaded fine this time though.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2007, 06:36:46 AM by Ridah » Logged

Sean Lama
Senior Staff Editor, GamingTrend
Lee

View Profile
« Reply #241 on: September 06, 2007, 06:42:05 AM »

Quote from: Ridah on September 06, 2007, 06:22:51 AM

Quote from: Lee on September 06, 2007, 04:46:21 AM

I was on a roll last night really enjoying the game. I was doing the area before you get back to the your home villiage (I hope that's not a spoiler since it's pretty obivious you are going back there). Having fun, the difficulty actually ramped up a little bit, and I was enjoying it. Came back tonight to the village and it was horrible, just no stop clicking on items to see if there was anything there. I quit out of boredom. I have a like/dislike thing going with this game. At times its fun, and at other times I wonder what they were thinking.

I don't understand what you mean... I know everyone's opinion is different and all, but to me it seems like if you enjoy JRPGs you'll enjoy Blue Dragon. If your bored of it, I would think it was the genre that was not your cup of tea, rather than the game itself.

I like JRPGs. And I am enjoying the story and graphics of BD. I do have 2 concerns with it though. Way too easy, the balancing was horrible (which I am glad to read that it changes later on). There is no challenge to the game for a good portion of it. Yes I could make a HK account and get the patch, but first of all I shouldn't have too, and second, it sounds like it could make the boss battles late game way too hard. They could have done a better job balancing it.

My other problem with the game is the clicking. The hospital, and now the villiage, consist of nothing but clicking on objects. Yes I could skip it, but it bugs me that I could be missing something. So I end up spending an hour just going through a zone clicking on stuff. it's not fun, it doesn't advanced the story, and there isn't any action.

I like the game, but its no Dragon Quest, or FF (and neither has these problems). I am not saying don't buy it either, if you like JPRG's you will like this game I think, but it has a lot of room for improvement. I am just posting my thoughts on the game as I go through it. I will enjoy myself for 2 hours, and then I am miserable for an hour.
EddieA

View Profile
« Reply #242 on: September 06, 2007, 07:33:37 AM »

Quote from: Lee on September 06, 2007, 06:42:05 AM

My other problem with the game is the clicking. The hospital, and now the villiage, consist of nothing but clicking on objects. Yes I could skip it, but it bugs me that I could be missing something. So I end up spending an hour just going through a zone clicking on stuff. it's not fun, it doesn't advanced the story, and there isn't any action.

A lot of RPGs (including Final Fantasy and Dragon Quest) have hidden items, and it's almost always items you can buy or money that you find.  I'm not sure about Blue Dragon, but I'd be very surprised if there's anything even remotely important you'll be missing.  I really doubt it's worth the frustration.

As for sales, I have no idea how reliable this site is, but according to VG Chartz, Blue Dragon sold 108K copies in its first week.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2007, 07:38:12 AM by EddieA » Logged

"Why did the chicken cross the Mobius strip?  To get to the same side."  - The Big Bang Theory
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #243 on: September 06, 2007, 07:52:26 AM »

Quote from: EddieA on September 06, 2007, 07:33:37 AM

As for sales, I have no idea how reliable this site is, but according to VG Chartz, Blue Dragon sold 108K copies in its first week.

is 108k good?..i have no idea about these things

and there is something else that has happened in disc 3 that has made its home in traditional RPGs,that again makes the game that little bit more interesting

Spoiler for Hiden:
you finally get limit breaks!!

Manchester United Premier League Champions 2013!!

Xbox LIVE:Metallicorphan
Wii:8565 1513 0206 1960
PSN:Metallicorphan
Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #244 on: September 06, 2007, 11:53:20 AM »

A lot of RPGs (including Final Fantasy and Dragon Quest) have hidden items, and it's almost always items you can buy or money that you find.  I'm not sure about Blue Dragon, but I'd be very surprised if there's anything even remotely important you'll be missing.  I really doubt it's worth the frustration.

From my time playing (about 15 hours now), none of the items you get from clicking are really important at all.  If it bugs you Lee, just ignore them, you don't have to click on stuff.  There is plenty of gold in the game, the 10 gold you get from clicking on a bookshelf or sink is negligable.
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #245 on: September 06, 2007, 12:39:22 PM »

VGChartz is not reliable in the slightest unless you're looking at Japanese numbers.  They used to be pretty good for domestic stuff when the full NPD numbers were being leaked but NPD cracked down on that a while back so now VGChartz uses some totally made up methods for estimating sales.

Quote from: metallicorphan on September 06, 2007, 07:52:26 AM

is 108k good?..i have no idea about these things

Even if it was true, 108k is pretty bad IMO.  The bulk of a 360's game sales are going to happen it's first week of release so monthly numbers wouldn't be much higher.  That might not be totally in the case for BD since things like Madden and Bioshock might mean that there are people interested in the game that just don't have time for it now but with Halo 3 incoming I just don't see that changing. 

150k first month for a middle of the road PS2 RPG that was already profitable in it's Japan release would be decent for a lot of titles.  But for MS's "premiere" JRPG it's pretty bad. 

Worst thing MS did to BD was release that demo.  Second worse thing was releasing it at the end of August.  I think if BD had come out in June sans demo then first month numbers would have been closer to 300-400k. 
DamageInc

Starts with s and ends with litting their throats

View Profile
« Reply #246 on: September 06, 2007, 03:06:51 PM »

There are a few spells, rare objects and potions that you obtain from searching that you can not find anywhere else except spells. With spells you get to have them prior to being able to find them in stores. There are a few spells I have now that I have yet to see in a store.

The freaks come out at nine and it's twenty to ten
Misguided
Gaming Trend Staff

Semi-acquatic egg-laying mammal of action

View Profile
« Reply #247 on: September 06, 2007, 03:31:38 PM »

I've yet to find a spell in anything other than a chest.
Damage, he's talking about clicking on random objects, not chests.

However, from looking at the manual, clicking the random stuff can yield
some benefits.

Spoiler for Hiden:
The game tracks how many "nothing" results you get, and there's
an NPC will give you stuff for them
« Last Edit: September 06, 2007, 03:33:13 PM by Misguided » Logged

Ruining language with my terrible words.
Farscry

View Profile
« Reply #248 on: September 06, 2007, 03:36:20 PM »

Dude, it's going to be great playing a jrpg that finally has the good old "hidden goodies all over the place" design. I haven't played one that really did that since the SNES days. icon_biggrin

Purge - You have unlocked an Achievement!
You are now of the rank reprobate
scandec
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #249 on: September 06, 2007, 04:28:56 PM »

I have got to stop reading this thread. At least till the cops give me my 360 back. I want to play this game so bad.   icon_evil
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #250 on: September 06, 2007, 04:50:20 PM »

I know. I'm waiting for some chump fool kindly soul to sell their used copy cheap cuz I can't afford new games. frown

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
Ridah
Senior Staff Writer

View Profile
« Reply #251 on: September 06, 2007, 05:28:13 PM »

Quote from: Kevin Grey on September 06, 2007, 12:39:22 PM

Worst thing MS did to BD was release that demo.  Second worse thing was releasing it at the end of August.  I think if BD had come out in June sans demo then first month numbers would have been closer to 300-400k. 

100% agree. That demo turned me away from the game completely, if it wasn't for GameFly I would never have shelled out the cash and took a risk on it. Also agree it being a mistake to release anywhere near Bioshock.

Sean Lama
Ridah
Senior Staff Writer

View Profile
« Reply #252 on: September 06, 2007, 05:30:18 PM »

Quote from: Farscry on September 06, 2007, 03:36:20 PM

Dude, it's going to be great playing a jrpg that finally has the good old "hidden goodies all over the place" design. I haven't played one that really did that since the SNES days. icon_biggrin

Yeah, it's cool because there is logic to the searching. It's not like some random spot in the ground that yields a reward. You search objects like cabinets, drawers, wallets, etc. This game highly rewards exploration which puts it beyond most RPGs that I've played.

Sean Lama
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #253 on: September 06, 2007, 06:32:24 PM »

Quote from: Ridah on September 06, 2007, 05:28:13 PM

Quote from: Kevin Grey on September 06, 2007, 12:39:22 PM

100% agree. That demo turned me away from the game completely, if it wasn't for GameFly I would never have shelled out the cash and took a risk on it. Also agree it being a mistake to release anywhere near Bioshock.

i also 100% agree...the demo had me very weary about getting the title,and wasnt the game put back a few months?

maybe this game will turn into a sleeper if it doesnt do to well initially,i think Kingdom hearts was a bit of a sleeper/suprise hit,things wouldnt be to bad i think if it turns out to have the same kind of reputation

KePoW

View Profile
« Reply #254 on: September 06, 2007, 07:43:30 PM »

Quote from: metallicorphan on September 06, 2007, 06:32:24 PM

maybe this game will turn into a sleeper if it doesnt do to well initially,i think Kingdom hearts was a bit of a sleeper/suprise hit,things wouldnt be to bad i think if it turns out to have the same kind of reputation

uh, sales-wise?

BD will not even be anywhere close to the same ballpark as the Kingdom Hearts for sales
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #255 on: September 06, 2007, 09:57:16 PM »

yeah perhaps not ,i think the KH series has sold nearly 20 million copies worldwide icon_confused icon_biggrin

108k in its first week(as was said) putting it at number 6 in the U.S,then you have Europe(24th august..it now stands at number 13 in the all format charts falling from number 9) and Austalia territories(Oz got it 30th august)

and then we already know that japan sold 80k in its first four days(but that was last december)

so i am gonna guess that 3-400k perhaps at the moment<<<what dya think?

for mistwalkers first game is it enough of a success?

Ridah
Senior Staff Writer

View Profile
« Reply #256 on: September 07, 2007, 12:46:25 AM »

Quote from: metallicorphan on September 06, 2007, 09:57:16 PM

Maybe... The production values seem pretty high in Blue Dragon so I just hope they see a profit. It might be smart on Mistwalker's part to release their RPGs on the PS3 as well.

Sean Lama
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #257 on: September 07, 2007, 12:59:53 AM »

Quote from: Ridah on September 07, 2007, 12:46:25 AM

Maybe... The production values seem pretty high in Blue Dragon so I just hope they see a profit. It might be smart on Mistwalker's part to release their RPGs on the PS3 as well.
This game (And afaik any BD games) are completely MS exclusive.
Ridah
Senior Staff Writer

View Profile
« Reply #258 on: September 07, 2007, 01:50:04 AM »

Quote from: Calvin on September 07, 2007, 12:59:53 AM

What about Lost Odyssey?

Sean Lama
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #259 on: September 07, 2007, 01:52:32 AM »

Quote from: Ridah on September 07, 2007, 01:50:04 AM

What about Lost Odyssey?

i think thats the same actually.......i heard the two franchises were exclusive to 360

Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #260 on: September 07, 2007, 01:53:22 AM »

Quote from: metallicorphan on September 07, 2007, 01:52:32 AM

Quote from: Ridah on September 07, 2007, 01:50:04 AM

What about Lost Odyssey?

i think thats the same actually.......i heard the two franchises were exclusive to 360
Lost Odyssey is 100% a 360 exclusive. I am fairly sure MS owns these IPs as well-you will not see them or sequels on other consoles.
Canuck

I live in Japan

View Profile
« Reply #261 on: September 07, 2007, 02:02:47 AM »

Isn't Lost Odyssey out for the PC? or am I thinking of another game?
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #262 on: September 07, 2007, 02:06:08 AM »

Yeah, BD and LO are paid for and published by MS.  Mistwalker does have one or two non-MS games though (Ash and maybe one other).

Quote from: Canuck on September 07, 2007, 02:02:47 AM

I think you're thinking of Lost Planet from Capcom. 
KePoW

View Profile
« Reply #263 on: September 07, 2007, 02:40:29 AM »

Quote from: Canuck on September 07, 2007, 02:02:47 AM

that's Lost Planet, an action shooter game
EddieA

View Profile
« Reply #264 on: September 07, 2007, 05:53:53 AM »

Quote from: Kevin Grey on September 07, 2007, 02:06:08 AM

Yeah, BD and LO are paid for and published by MS.  Mistwalker does have one or two non-MS games though (Ash and maybe one other).

ASH is for the DS, but their other game, Cry On, is for 360.  Like Blue Dragon, it's being developed by Artoon, but Cry On is an action RPG rather than a turn-based one.

"Why did the chicken cross the Mobius strip?  To get to the same side."  - The Big Bang Theory
USMC Kato

I have a bad feeling about this....

View Profile
« Reply #265 on: September 07, 2007, 08:59:38 AM »

Just a quick update, I'm still on disc 2 (near the end) and I'm already clocking in around 50+ hours, party is around level 42-44 playing on Hard mode.  If anyone just started playing hard mode, you  really need to start to specialize you party right away...like a balanced mmo party.  For example I have 2 tanks in the front row and the last 3 are healer, damage caster, and ninja/support. 

Semper Fidelis

Gamertag: USMC Kato
PSN ID: USMC_Kato
Gamecenter ID: USMC Kato
Wii U Nintendo ID: USMC_Kato
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #266 on: September 07, 2007, 01:04:54 PM »

Quote from: EddieA on September 07, 2007, 05:53:53 AM

Quote from: Kevin Grey on September 07, 2007, 02:06:08 AM

ASH is for the DS, but their other game, Cry On, is for 360.  Like Blue Dragon, it's being developed by Artoon, but Cry On is an action RPG rather than a turn-based one.

Cry On, that's it! Thanks!
Farscry

View Profile
« Reply #267 on: September 07, 2007, 01:50:32 PM »

Game arrived last night, I'll be delving into it this weekend; this thread's really amped my anticipation, so I'm stoked! I read the instruction booklet before crashing last night, and can't wait to get started. Only thing I'm not looking forward to is the obligatory slow & dull first hour of a jrpg. icon_wink Even Dragon Quest 8, one of my favorite games of all-time, took a little too long to let me get into the gameplay for my tastes (and that really wasn't all that long). What can I say? I'm impatient! icon_biggrin

Purge - You have unlocked an Achievement!
You are now of the rank reprobate
DamageInc

Starts with s and ends with litting their throats

View Profile
« Reply #268 on: September 07, 2007, 02:56:11 PM »

Quote from: Misguided on September 06, 2007, 03:31:38 PM

I've yet to find a spell in anything other than a chest.
Damage, he's talking about clicking on random objects, not chests.

However, from looking at the manual, clicking the random stuff can yield
some benefits.

Spoiler for Hiden:
The game tracks how many "nothing" results you get, and there's
an NPC will give you stuff for them

Actually you are probably correct with the spells, I can't remember where I got them all but you do get:

The "nothing bonus" where you can turn them in to an NPC for special items -- each nothing gets added to a counter
Gold, not a lot but I guess it all adds up
Medals that you can trade to the roaming NPC for stat boost and skill boost items
SP bonus that you can apply to one char
EXP bonus that you can apply to one char
Attribute bonus that you can apply to one char

The gold doesn't seem to matter much right now, but I bet all those stat bonuses will pay of later

The freaks come out at nine and it's twenty to ten
Ridah
Senior Staff Writer

View Profile
« Reply #269 on: September 07, 2007, 04:45:36 PM »

Quote from: USMC Kato on September 07, 2007, 08:59:38 AM

Just a quick update, I'm still on disc 2 (near the end) and I'm already clocking in around 50+ hours, party is around level 42-44 playing on Hard mode.  If anyone just started playing hard mode, you  really need to start to specialize you party right away...like a balanced mmo party.  For example I have 2 tanks in the front row and the last 3 are healer, damage caster, and ninja/support. 

I see you mention ninja/support, I'm assuming your talking about Zola? I have a few of her assassin abilities equipped, such as stun bomb, but I can't use any of them during battle. I also have invisibility equiped so as not to be detected by enemies on the field, but I am still being detected. Am I doing something wrong?

Sean Lama
godhugh

View Profile
« Reply #270 on: September 07, 2007, 05:08:01 PM »

You have to assign them both to a field skills button and then activate them by pressing it. Hit RT to bring up your targeting circle, then scroll down a bit and you'll see the Field Skill buttons and what characters have Field Skills equipped. Just assign which wants you want and you're good to go.
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #271 on: September 07, 2007, 05:08:47 PM »

Having her use the cymbols prolly ain't helpin' nuthin, guv'ner. slywink

I love MMORPGs, and I hate other people. Is this game the answer?

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
Ridah
Senior Staff Writer

View Profile
« Reply #272 on: September 07, 2007, 05:22:49 PM »

Quote from: Purge on September 07, 2007, 05:08:47 PM

I love MMORPGs, and I hate other people. Is this game the answer?

Hmm, you may want to lean more towards an RPG on the PC for that. Games like Dungeon Seige and Fate are better MMO replacements if you don't want to deal with other people.

Sean Lama
Azhag

View Profile
« Reply #273 on: September 10, 2007, 12:56:08 AM »

Finished it! Had a good time... I'll give more thoughts later through. Just wanted to let you know that I did manage to finish with about 90 achievement points... You don't even get any for beating the game :-p. Despite that I enjoyed it though. Not sure I have the drive to load a save point and play another 20 hours with no real point other than to try to get some of the achievements. In the end I think my characters were in the low 50s for level and I had about 43 hours (+ a couple from redos). Overall I'd give it a 8.0 or so. Enjoyed it, and I played through, but I wasn't blown away.
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #274 on: September 10, 2007, 01:07:41 AM »

Quote from: Azhag on September 10, 2007, 12:56:08 AM

Finished it! Had a good time... I'll give more thoughts later through. Just wanted to let you know that I did manage to finish with about 90 achievement points... You don't even get any for beating the game :-p. Despite that I enjoyed it though. Not sure I have the drive to load a save point and play another 20 hours with no real point other than to try to get some of the achievements. In the end I think my characters were in the low 50s for level and I had about 43 hours (+ a couple from redos). Overall I'd give it a 8.0 or so. Enjoyed it, and I played through, but I wasn't blown away.

yay congrats...i am still on disc 3...i'll get back to it tomorrow

Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #275 on: September 10, 2007, 01:59:16 AM »

Quote from: metallicorphan on September 10, 2007, 01:07:41 AM

yay congrats...i am still on disc 3...i'll get back to it tomorrow

Oh wow, Metalic got beaten in the race to finish a new rpg-horrors biggrin JK MO-you are just so fast normally.
Sparhawk

View Profile
« Reply #276 on: September 10, 2007, 04:47:06 AM »

:icon_biggrin:Blue Dragon is a really great game! Glad I decided to pick this up and not be turned off by a VERY weak demo.

PSN: Kal_Torok
Xbox Live: Sparhawk GT
Ridah
Senior Staff Writer

View Profile
« Reply #277 on: September 10, 2007, 05:33:03 AM »

Quote from: Calvin on September 10, 2007, 01:59:16 AM

Oh wow, Metalic got beaten in the race to finish a new rpg-horrors biggrin JK MO-you are just so fast normally.

That's cause he's always playing 4 games at one time! slywink

Sean Lama
USMC Kato

I have a bad feeling about this....

View Profile
« Reply #278 on: September 10, 2007, 09:20:40 AM »

Jesus, finally finished it.  29 out of of 43 achievements for a total of 525 points  icon_confused    Total Time: 78 hours  icon_eek     My party was around in the low 70's. 

Nice, solid game.  Now I can move on....

Semper Fidelis

Gamertag: USMC Kato
PSN ID: USMC_Kato
Gamecenter ID: USMC Kato
Wii U Nintendo ID: USMC_Kato
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #279 on: September 10, 2007, 09:23:07 AM »

yeah i saw you were on a hell of a lot Kato,doesnt suprise me that you were in the 70's

and 4 games is proberbly right(MoH,Halo,Blue Dragon..just finished resident evil 4 for wii)

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 10   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: