http://gamingtrend.com
April 21, 2014, 01:27:38 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 10   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Blue Dragon Getting Some Poor Reviews  (Read 19395 times)
metallicorphan
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« Reply #200 on: September 02, 2007, 08:15:01 PM »

Quote from: Reemul on September 02, 2007, 07:49:12 PM

I find if i have wind it seems to affect everyone in the room as well.

LOL

and Azhag i have a friend on my ..er,friends list who has finished the game,he said he was going to get all the achievements,but he got 325 worth,i dont know if he is going to sit through it again......he hasnt got the usual,get 1million gold etc<<i am waiting until near the end of the game to get that...save the game,sell my stuff so it comes over 1 million(i hope) get the acheivement and the reload previous save and carry on with story!!

Manchester United Premier League Champions 2013!!

Xbox LIVE:Metallicorphan
Wii:8565 1513 0206 1960
PSN:Metallicorphan
Misguided
Gaming Trend Staff

Semi-acquatic egg-laying mammal of action

View Profile
« Reply #201 on: September 02, 2007, 10:46:42 PM »

Quote from: Azhag on September 02, 2007, 07:47:12 PM

Hmm, I have a bad feeling I'm going to play all the way through and end up with maybe 200 achievement points if that... Apparently I'm not doing that great on the secret achievements right now either after skimming it. Still having fun, but that annoys me :-p.

I'm about 9 hours in and think I have 2 worth ten points.

Anyway, my biggest gripe so far is the lack of a decent area map.
I really wish we could make the minimap bigger or call up a map of the specific region you are in.
Some of these places have a decent number of paths and it can get tricky to figure out where you haven't been.

Other than that, I'm still enjoying things.

Ruining language with my terrible words.
StitchJones
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #202 on: September 03, 2007, 12:51:26 AM »

Well about 4 hours in on hard, and it's just that.  The boss fights right now are really hard.  I'm working my way through them, but it almost has me wanting to start over on normal before i get too far.  Anyone else playing on hard have any impressions on the combat.  I will admit I am having to really pay attention to my skills inorder to win.
Ridah
Senior Staff Writer

View Profile
« Reply #203 on: September 03, 2007, 03:37:03 AM »

Quote from: StitchJones on September 03, 2007, 12:51:26 AM

Well about 4 hours in on hard, and it's just that.  The boss fights right now are really hard.  I'm working my way through them, but it almost has me wanting to start over on normal before i get too far.  Anyone else playing on hard have any impressions on the combat.  I will admit I am having to really pay attention to my skills inorder to win.

I'm in the same boat as you... and I'm on normal! Seriously though, each boss fight has challenged me so far. Unless hard mode is a small step above normal, I couldn't see myself dealing with these bosses in hard mode unless I wanted to add extra hours of mindless grinding in order to be strong enough for survive the bosses. I say play through this baby on Normal so you can enjoy the game without the need for steeper grinding requirements.

Sean Lama
Senior Staff Editor, GamingTrend
USMC Kato

I have a bad feeling about this....

View Profile
« Reply #204 on: September 03, 2007, 04:21:36 AM »

Quote from: StitchJones on September 03, 2007, 12:51:26 AM

Well, I'm almost 16 hours in on hard difficulty, and the boss battles, hell even the normal mobs are hard hard hard! I die so much during boss fights (I have to buy a lot of revives).  So if that kind of play style isn't your cup of tea, maybe a restart is in order.  Oh and yeah, I'm still having a great time.

Semper Fidelis

Gamertag: USMC Kato
PSN ID: USMC_Kato
Gamecenter ID: USMC Kato
Wii U Nintendo ID: USMC_Kato
Lee

View Profile
« Reply #205 on: September 03, 2007, 06:43:15 AM »

I am confused. I am about 6 hours in and going through the sea passages, and only had about 2 boss fights and they were easy. I started a new game to try it on hard, but I never saw the option. I am getting really bored with it because combat is just clicking battles without any strategy.

Where do you choose the difficulty??
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #206 on: September 03, 2007, 06:46:47 AM »

Quote from: Lee on September 03, 2007, 06:43:15 AM

I am confused. I am about 6 hours in and going through the sea passages, and only had about 2 boss fights and they were easy. I started a new game to try it on hard, but I never saw the option. I am getting really bored with it because combat is just clicking battles without any strategy.

Where do you choose the difficulty??

at the moment you can only get the difficulty selection if you make a hong kong account and get it of the marketplace there,any other region if you download(eg Japan)it wont work with our Blue Dragon....even though i am PAL and you guys are NTSC,the hong kong one works with both for some reason

surely,hopefully...the downloads will come to us,but i havent heard anything yet

Lee

View Profile
« Reply #207 on: September 03, 2007, 06:52:56 AM »

Ahh ok, I thought someone else said that the patch just added the incredibly hard mode. I guess I will either make a HK account or put it on hold (probably the later, I am lazy), becuase I am not having fun with it right now. The potential is there, but when I get a new skill to try out but never have to use it because I can just use attack to win a battle there isn't much point.

Does it get harder in normal mode later on though? Or is it still a cake walk 20 hours later?
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #208 on: September 03, 2007, 07:59:59 AM »

Quote from: Lee on September 03, 2007, 06:52:56 AM

Ahh ok, I thought someone else said that the patch just added the incredibly hard mode. I guess I will either make a HK account or put it on hold (probably the later, I am lazy), becuase I am not having fun with it right now. The potential is there, but when I get a new skill to try out but never have to use it because I can just use attack to win a battle there isn't much point.

Does it get harder in normal mode later on though? Or is it still a cake walk 20 hours later?

i am 3/4 way through disc 2,and it does get a bit harder.....some bosses are a lot harder,but i think for us all,especially if RPG lover,it wont really be a big deal to get through....i have only died about 2 times all the way through the game,perhaps you ought to make the account(its very easy)...there is hard and impossible mode,and also two other downloads that you pay for....shuffle dungeon with 10 hrd to kill bosses for level 50s and above and a bunch of items....i am hoping the last two also makes its way to us as i havent got them

as for me,i am enjoying the game,it is quite easy for me,but i love my story games,so i dont mind the easyness....and as said 3/4 way through disc 2 and it has 33 hrs on the clock,so,even if it was too end now,i would be happy as to how much i have got out of it

Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #209 on: September 03, 2007, 11:22:44 AM »

I am about 14 hours in and I am playing on normal.  I find the difficulty to be just fine for me and my wife, but then we are playing it to enjoy the story and not to be challenged every single battle.
Lockdown

LD

View Profile
« Reply #210 on: September 03, 2007, 02:44:15 PM »

And you are playing together, I take it, Arkon?

That is way cool.  Who is your wife's favorite character?

LD

"A young woman led them across the galaxy, and it is she who will lead them again.  Her name is Karan S'jet."
Dante Rising

View Profile
« Reply #211 on: September 03, 2007, 04:17:38 PM »

This is an absolutely wonderful game. I'm really surprised by the mediocre reviews.
Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #212 on: September 03, 2007, 08:47:44 PM »

Quote from: Lockdown on September 03, 2007, 02:44:15 PM

And you are playing together, I take it, Arkon?

That is way cool.  Who is your wife's favorite character?

She thinks Maru is hillarious.  She finds Shu to be a bit too over the top with his whole I won't give up, BASTARD!!!! routine....

We just met Zola, my wife said she is "interesting".

We take turns playing, but we watch when the other is playing.
Jarrodhk

View Profile
« Reply #213 on: September 03, 2007, 09:23:07 PM »

Enjoying the game other than the fact that it seems to lock up periodically.  Trying to trouble-shoot and figure out if the problem is the console/hard drive/game.  Has anyone had it freeze when in a 4 group fight?  That seems to be what triggers it.

If it's the console I'll be making a trip out to best buy in a bit.

Pikachu, I Blame you!
Reemul

Knock Knock

View Profile WWW
« Reply #214 on: September 03, 2007, 09:35:33 PM »

No freeze ups at all for me.

Jarrodhk

View Profile
« Reply #215 on: September 03, 2007, 10:10:04 PM »

Cleared the cache on the hard drive and <fingers crossed> haven't had any more problems.

Pikachu, I Blame you!
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #216 on: September 03, 2007, 10:42:36 PM »

cant say i have had any problems either,hope you find whats causing it

DamageInc

Starts with s and ends with litting their throats

View Profile
« Reply #217 on: September 04, 2007, 01:08:02 AM »

Well I am just starting the third section of Disk 1 and so far I really like the game. It can feel a bit tedious at some points and Marumaru's voice is annoying as hell.

The graphics and animations are very well done. It feels like the characters "pop" off the screen.
The sound effects are top notch. I was very impressed with the "click" the robot sentries made, it seems small, but it was spot on.

I do agree that the mini-map could have been designed much better.

There are many ways you can customize characters so you can make it your own, but they do start off in a predefined role.

I like the tactics bar at the top and the ability to time attacks. What works really well is you can charge an attack for a back enemy so that it occurs after you take out the enemy in the front line and then it hits when the back enemy moves up to the front.

The fighting style is similar to FFXII which I really like, but adds in more tactics.

The freaks come out at nine and it's twenty to ten
Ridah
Senior Staff Writer

View Profile
« Reply #218 on: September 04, 2007, 02:20:17 AM »

Yeah it's pretty much just the mini-map that hinders the game slightly, anything else is only a minor annoyance. I'm really surprised that this game hasn't been reviewing higher, I mean unless the story absolutely sucks overall (so far it really is no more or no less intriguing than most other RPGs i've played), this is an excellent RPG.

Sean Lama
godhugh

View Profile
« Reply #219 on: September 04, 2007, 04:49:33 AM »

I just finished the Underwater Passage and, while I'm enjoying the game a great deal, it really is remarkably easy. I beat the snake boss in about 60 seconds, with him getting two attacks off which barely scratched my characters. The hospital boss was a cinch as well, once I figured out the elemental part of the battle.

My characters are all level 15, with at least lvl 11 in generalist, and level 13 in their primary classes (lvl 16 for black mage on the girl). Is this over-leveled for the area or is it going to get harder from here on out?

That asked, like I said, I'm enjoying the game quite a bit and aside from the lack of difficulty I'm just wishing there were more achievements smile.
Lee

View Profile
« Reply #220 on: September 04, 2007, 05:29:21 AM »

Quote from: godhugh on September 04, 2007, 04:49:33 AM

My characters are all level 15, with at least lvl 11 in generalist, and level 13 in their primary classes (lvl 16 for black mage on the girl). Is this over-leveled for the area or is it going to get harder from here on out?

Just finished the section you are about to come to next, the Dead Forest. That part was pretty easy too, as was the boss, but there were a couple of mobs that did a bit more damage. I have no idea what level my guys are though, so I don't know if you are ahead or what.
The Grue

You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

View Profile
« Reply #221 on: September 04, 2007, 01:28:12 PM »

I picked this up yesterday on a whim and played for about an hour.  I enjoyed that hour a great deal.  I look forward to playing it more (and Metroid and Bioshock).

XBox Live ID: The Grue
Playstation Network Name: TheGrue
DamageInc

Starts with s and ends with litting their throats

View Profile
« Reply #222 on: September 04, 2007, 03:38:58 PM »

Quote from: Lee on September 04, 2007, 05:29:21 AM

Quote from: godhugh on September 04, 2007, 04:49:33 AM

Just finished the section you are about to come to next, the Dead Forest. That part was pretty easy too, as was the boss, but there were a couple of mobs that did a bit more damage. I have no idea what level my guys are though, so I don't know if you are ahead or what.

My characters are at level 19 after the Dead Forest with all at level 15 Generalist. (At 15 you get 4 slots) I also recommend taking each char to level 8 in Black Magic so you get the Regen MP skill. I am hoping that some of the support functions come into play later as most of it is unused so far (Not needed) I also took Shu to level 7 in Monk to get the Counter Attack skill. (A 50% chance to counter after any hit, I'll take it)

I do agree that most of what I have fought so far is mostly fodder. I just hope this is all taking you to the harder part of the game and Disk 1 just gets you used to the game mechanics. From what I have heard though it doesn't seem to be the case.

I am going to play through as I am still enjoying it and having fun.

I haven't experienced any lock-ups or technical glitches so far.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2007, 03:41:47 PM by DamageInc » Logged

The freaks come out at nine and it's twenty to ten
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #223 on: September 04, 2007, 07:01:29 PM »

okay i have just made disc 3

for all those people wanting a harder game......yer gonna get it!!!

the last hour of disc 2 is a complete bastard compared to the rest of the game...but the good news is....there were 4 achievements that i got in that hour

i am level 37 i think...levelled generalist as far as i want to take it now(level 36)....gonna go back to the other ranks now(which are late teens early twenties)...generalist rank 36 you get 8 skill slots,and its the last thing you get for that job

Farscry

View Profile
« Reply #224 on: September 04, 2007, 07:34:41 PM »

Quote from: metallicorphan on September 04, 2007, 07:01:29 PM

the last hour of disc 2 is a complete bastard compared to the rest of the game...but the good news is....there were 4 achievements that i got in that hour

Awesome! Is this on Normal difficulty or Hard?

I'm really getting stoked because of this thread; hopefully I get to start in on the game this weekend! icon_biggrin

Purge - You have unlocked an Achievement!
You are now of the rank reprobate
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #225 on: September 04, 2007, 07:41:08 PM »

Quote from: Farscry on September 04, 2007, 07:34:41 PM

Quote from: metallicorphan on September 04, 2007, 07:01:29 PM

Awesome! Is this on Normal difficulty or Hard?

I'm really getting stoked because of this thread; hopefully I get to start in on the game this weekend! icon_biggrin

oh yeah sorry,i am on the normal difficulty(well the last hour was hard for me!!...had me swearing and everything,although it doesnt take a lot to get me swearing these days),i started the game before i got the difficulty downloads

and there was actually 5 achievements to have(not 4),but i missed one...because i couldnt do it(i tried twice,and thats enough for me)

faide
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #226 on: September 04, 2007, 09:05:42 PM »

I'm curious, how many hours did it take you to get to disc 3?

Azhag

View Profile
« Reply #227 on: September 04, 2007, 10:53:41 PM »

I'm a fair way into the 3rd disc now and still enjoying it. Not quite sure what I'm supposed to do right now except that there are a bunch of new places to go and things to fight so I'll just work on them I guess. Now it is open-ended and traveling is trivial across the larger map, though the on-location minimap is still poor. I think I may be underpowered, but it hasn't been a problem except one random boss that came up recently (and that I can ignore for the time being). My guys are upper 30s right now I think.
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #228 on: September 05, 2007, 12:30:45 AM »

Quote from: Azhag on September 04, 2007, 10:53:41 PM

I'm a fair way into the 3rd disc now and still enjoying it. Not quite sure what I'm supposed to do right now except that there are a bunch of new places to go and things to fight so I'll just work on them I guess. Now it is open-ended and traveling is trivial across the larger map, though the on-location minimap is still poor. I think I may be underpowered, but it hasn't been a problem except one random boss that came up recently (and that I can ignore for the time being). My guys are upper 30s right now I think.

And, um, how long did it take you to get to disc three?

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
USMC Kato

I have a bad feeling about this....

View Profile
« Reply #229 on: September 05, 2007, 02:55:11 AM »

Well for me I'm on disc 2 (maybe halfway through) and I have logged in about 40 hours give or take and hour or so.  I'm playing on the hard difficulty and I do have to grind just a little bit.

Semper Fidelis

Gamertag: USMC Kato
PSN ID: USMC_Kato
Gamecenter ID: USMC Kato
Wii U Nintendo ID: USMC_Kato
Jarrodhk

View Profile
« Reply #230 on: September 05, 2007, 04:40:24 AM »

Update on my issues with Blue Dragon... not the game's fault, my elite died.  I'd be more upset if I couldn't just go exchange it at Bestbuy... and if I didn't still have my old one sitting here to use. 

Mental note: lot 7/23, not new enough.

Pikachu, I Blame you!
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #231 on: September 05, 2007, 05:48:49 AM »

Quote from: Jarrodhk on September 05, 2007, 04:40:24 AM

Update on my issues with Blue Dragon... not the game's fault, my elite died.  I'd be more upset if I couldn't just go exchange it at Bestbuy... and if I didn't still have my old one sitting here to use. 

Mental note: lot 7/23, not new enough.

Dude, wtf Jarrod? A brand new elite died on you too? Are you sure you aren't having ventilation issues?
Jarrodhk

View Profile
« Reply #232 on: September 05, 2007, 07:06:56 AM »

Yeah, hadn't really used it much.  Got it the 28th, was out of town for the weekend, went boom tuesday night.  It's got plenty of ventilation and my room mate loves to keep the apt. at 55 degrees. 

Pikachu, I Blame you!
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #233 on: September 05, 2007, 07:53:07 AM »

Quote from: Jarrodhk on September 05, 2007, 07:06:56 AM

Yeah, hadn't really used it much.  Got it the 28th, was out of town for the weekend, went boom tuesday night.  It's got plenty of ventilation and my room mate loves to keep the apt. at 55 degrees. 
Man I wish I could get my apt that cold, stupid only one wall mounted AC in the living room frown Anyways, that sucks, go get a new one!
Azhag

View Profile
« Reply #234 on: September 05, 2007, 11:12:05 AM »

Um, I think it took me about 24-25 hours to get to disc 3 maybe? I'll have to see if I have a save back further for a better number.
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #235 on: September 05, 2007, 09:57:59 PM »

my characters are all level 37/38 and i am about 37 hrs in....disc 3 has started off very interesting,in story...but it is back to be easy,at least for the time being...easier than the last hour of disc 2 anyway...oh,and as i said about the 5 achievements in that last hour of disc 2.....well there is another achievement at the beginning of disc 3......its like waiting for a bus.....etc,etc

i think pretty soon,i may get an hour or two of levelling in,just to get some of my skill ranks up...i am waiting for it to let me unlock another class,because i want Shu to level up Assassin,i think he has all but 2 or 3 skill classes opened at the moment

Ridah
Senior Staff Writer

View Profile
« Reply #236 on: September 06, 2007, 01:46:36 AM »

Metallicorphan looks like he is going to be the first person to complete the game here! I'm glad your still enjoying the game at disc 3 and that the story continues to pick up. I haven't completed an RPG since the PS1 days so I'm really determined to finish BD.

Sean Lama
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #237 on: September 06, 2007, 01:56:23 AM »

Quote from: Ridah on September 06, 2007, 01:46:36 AM

Metallicorphan looks like he is going to be the first person to complete the game here! I'm glad your still enjoying the game at disc 3 and that the story continues to pick up. I haven't completed an RPG since the PS1 days so I'm really determined to finish BD.

I think I totally forgot to mention that I started this the other day-I still haven't had time to play it since then, but I found the beginning two hours, while juvenile, surprisingly fun, light-hearted, with beautiful, smooth graphics, and a nice intro into the battle system. I thoroughly enjoyed it and hope to sit down with it tonight.
Lee

View Profile
« Reply #238 on: September 06, 2007, 04:46:21 AM »

I was on a roll last night really enjoying the game. I was doing the area before you get back to the your home villiage (I hope that's not a spoiler since it's pretty obivious you are going back there). Having fun, the difficulty actually ramped up a little bit, and I was enjoying it. Came back tonight to the village and it was horrible, just no stop clicking on items to see if there was anything there. I quit out of boredom. I have a like/dislike thing going with this game. At times its fun, and at other times I wonder what they were thinking.
Ridah
Senior Staff Writer

View Profile
« Reply #239 on: September 06, 2007, 06:22:51 AM »

Quote from: Lee on September 06, 2007, 04:46:21 AM

I was on a roll last night really enjoying the game. I was doing the area before you get back to the your home villiage (I hope that's not a spoiler since it's pretty obivious you are going back there). Having fun, the difficulty actually ramped up a little bit, and I was enjoying it. Came back tonight to the village and it was horrible, just no stop clicking on items to see if there was anything there. I quit out of boredom. I have a like/dislike thing going with this game. At times its fun, and at other times I wonder what they were thinking.

I don't understand what you mean... I know everyone's opinion is different and all, but to me it seems like if you enjoy JRPGs you'll enjoy Blue Dragon. If your bored of it, I would think it was the genre that was not your cup of tea, rather than the game itself.

Sean Lama
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 10   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: