http://gamingtrend.com
October 23, 2014, 08:03:34 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 10   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Blue Dragon Getting Some Poor Reviews  (Read 20079 times)
Reemul
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Knock Knock

View Profile WWW
« Reply #160 on: August 30, 2007, 10:10:37 PM »

Well i'm embarassed to admit i'm getting my ass kicked by one of the bosses(Mad Eye) yet he is meant to be easy. He's killed me 3 times so far  icon_frown

Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #161 on: August 30, 2007, 10:16:51 PM »

How is hard mode? Yes, I still haven't tried it. COD4 beta and Warhawk have consumed me.
Misguided
Gaming Trend Staff

Semi-acquatic egg-laying mammal of action

View Profile
« Reply #162 on: August 31, 2007, 12:58:32 AM »

Quote from: Arkon on August 30, 2007, 09:21:44 PM

I personally don't notice any slowdown yet on the framerate.

I've seen it chug pretty good at times.

Ruining language with my terrible words.
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #163 on: August 31, 2007, 03:34:12 AM »

Quote from: Reemul on August 30, 2007, 10:10:37 PM

Well i'm embarassed to admit i'm getting my ass kicked by one of the bosses(Mad Eye) yet he is meant to be easy. He's killed me 3 times so far  icon_frown

he IS a bastard!!....think i killed him second time

Spoiler for Hiden:
if he holds his staff across his chest,attacks wont do that much damage...and because his minions he calls are undead,i used shinea(or something like that)in my white magic list,he calls 3 lots of enemies in all,then he will be left alone and be ready for you to fight him...unfortunately shinea doesnt actually hurt mad eye.....i used shadowa(black magic) on him..Kluke is my black mage,so i had her charge it ,and then it took of a lot of damage when it came to her round...i dont think he is more than 600points,maybe 700hp at the most

the nothing man is about 20-30 minutes away from you after that!!

Manchester United Premier League Champions 2013!!

Xbox LIVE:Metallicorphan
Wii:8565 1513 0206 1960
PSN:Metallicorphan
Misguided
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #164 on: August 31, 2007, 04:18:34 AM »

I had real issues with an earlier boss fight in the hospital, until I remembered I could put folks in the back row....then it was manageable.
I'm at about the 6 hour mark now, and enjoying it.
Personally, I find the combat a little frustrating, as I routinely charge powers too far.
I really like the art style and while I've seen complaints of bland environments, I think
that to an extent this was intentional. When a brightly colored machine shows up,
the gaudy colors really stand out.

Anyone know what medals are for?

metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #165 on: August 31, 2007, 05:10:07 AM »

Quote from: Misguided on August 31, 2007, 04:18:34 AM

I had real issues with an earlier boss fight in the hospital, until I remembered I could put folks in the back row....then it was manageable.
I'm at about the 6 hour mark now, and enjoying it.
Personally, I find the combat a little frustrating, as I routinely charge powers too far.
I really like the art style and while I've seen complaints of bland environments, I think
that to an extent this was intentional. When a brightly colored machine shows up,
the gaudy colors really stand out.

Anyone know what medals are for?

medals-later in the game(you will proberbly see him soon)you meet a guy called tipoca or something like that,he travels around a lot and you see him more times after,he lets you buy ranks for your jobs with the medals....so if you buy a sword master rank for 4 medals,your rank will go up when you use it on whoever needs it(saves levelling a certain job to get a certain skill)

but,be warned,when you have bought a rank for 4 medals..the price goes up,to 8,and so on

the hospital was a bit of a puzzle getting about the place for me...dark rooms an all....but marumaro is pretty funny shouting all the time

Reemul

Knock Knock

View Profile WWW
« Reply #166 on: August 31, 2007, 08:15:34 AM »

Ok thanks for the tip i will try that. I'm using 1 main skill on each toon, Sword, Monk, Black and white magic while levelling up generalist on each member to lvl 8 for the extra 2 skill slots. I have also added Black magic to Jiro but think barrier magic looks good and will level that up as well now.

metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #167 on: August 31, 2007, 11:45:25 AM »

yeah Barrier magic is a very useful one to have,as it gives you a field barrier....if you have this,while on the world map,you can press RB and a feild barrier(a bubble/shield around you)pops up,then with all the monsters you have already fought,if that monster hits your field barrier,then it dies(or you do it some massive damge for when going into the fight...but maybe it just dies,dunno)not sure if you get the XP.but you do get the job experience still...so you could go to the early stages of the world map,throw this up and just walk around hitting all the creatures getting all the SP...if you have the black magic regenerate MP(which regenerates MP while you are walking about the world map)you should be laughing.....this is what i am levelling next to get this

Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #168 on: August 31, 2007, 11:48:34 AM »

I think I just don't notice framerate slowdowns, never saw them in oblivion as well, so I guess they are there and I am just not observant enough.

I just reached the hospital, and am loving the game.  What exactly does white magic lvl 2 do compared to white magic lvl 1?  Is it just an upgrade the the amout you heal?  (same with black magic and other skills...)

Oh and I just unlocked assassin... having fun with that, I like stealing heh.
Misguided
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #169 on: August 31, 2007, 12:16:03 PM »

Quote from: Arkon on August 31, 2007, 11:48:34 AM

I think I just don't notice framerate slowdowns, never saw them in oblivion as well, so I guess they are there and I am just not observant enough.

I just reached the hospital, and am loving the game.  What exactly does white magic lvl 2 do compared to white magic lvl 1?  Is it just an upgrade the the amout you heal?  (same with black magic and other skills...)

Oh and I just unlocked assassin... having fun with that, I like stealing heh.

Arkon, look in the book...it lists what the skills do.
But it unlocks the ability to use some new heals like one that heals everyone (Zephyr).
Problem is you have to find the spell to buy it.

Metallic, on the medals thing does the cost go up for each time a particular skill is bought,
regardless of which character gets the bonus? So if I buy Kluke a rank in black magic it costs
4, then I buy a rank for Jiro it costs 8, but then I get a rank in sword master for Shu and that costs 4?

I don't have anyone with barrier magic yet, but thinking about it.
I unlocked support magic with Kluke but havent leveled it up yet.
Mostly I've been working on the stuff Metallic suggested (getting counter attack and MP regen).

Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #170 on: August 31, 2007, 03:00:29 PM »

:sigh:

I wish I had time and money.

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #171 on: August 31, 2007, 04:56:43 PM »

Quote from: Misguided on August 31, 2007, 12:16:03 PM

Metallic, on the medals thing does the cost go up for each time a particular skill is bought,
regardless of which character gets the bonus? So if I buy Kluke a rank in black magic it costs
4, then I buy a rank for Jiro it costs 8, but then I get a rank in sword master for Shu and that costs 4?

what happens is that you enter the guys shop,and you buy the rank(1 rank)for 4medals.....and then buy another for 8...and so on....and then when you come out of his shop,you go to the main menu and go to enhacement,and there will be listed all the things you can enhance,choose an enhancement and then choose a charcater who you want that enhancement to go to.....when in the shop you dont choose who it goes to,you just put it in your inventory

when you first buy say,generalist rank for 4 medals,the price will go up to 8 medals,but sword master rank will still be 4 medals until you buy that(i think,LOL)

i am now able to take down the blue barriers that you may of seen surrounding chests and blocking entrances...i just went back to the ancient caves from the beginning and beat two Poo bosses
« Last Edit: August 31, 2007, 04:59:48 PM by metallicorphan » Logged

Pharaoh

View Profile
« Reply #172 on: August 31, 2007, 04:57:25 PM »

Something I noticed is get all your characters Sword Master Lvl 11 ASAP. That gets you Absorb HP so whenever you attack, you get a percentage of your damage. With that, Ive been safely able to level everyone's generalist and support classes without much trouble since everyone regenerates HP each strike. Combine that with Shu's Monk classes, and his 50% chance to counter, my HP really never goes down with him.

I am noticing the comments about the game getting too easy. Its not that the game is easy, its that abusing the Shadow Skill system is....no game should give you an HP regen so easily, not even mentioning the MP regen.
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #173 on: August 31, 2007, 05:12:28 PM »

Quote from: Pharaoh on August 31, 2007, 04:57:25 PM

Something I noticed is get all your characters Sword Master Lvl 11 ASAP. That gets you Absorb HP so whenever you attack, you get a percentage of your damage. With that, Ive been safely able to level everyone's generalist and support classes without much trouble since everyone regenerates HP each strike. Combine that with Shu's Monk classes, and his 50% chance to counter, my HP really never goes down with him.

I am noticing the comments about the game getting too easy. Its not that the game is easy, its that abusing the Shadow Skill system is....no game should give you an HP regen so easily, not even mentioning the MP regen.

i just made rank 29 with generalist and it gives you 7+ skill slots,so all those skils you mentioned,and a few more along the way are so much easier to use

i try and get everyone a few ranks into all the jobs i have up to now,just so they can use the basics...like white magic level 1,just so the person who isnt a white mage can heal if an emergancy pops up..or sword master,so everyone can use the sword skills,and then gradually level those jobs for them at a little at a time

i downloaded the demo again yesterday just to have a nosey at the skills.....in the demo,they gave you so that every skill was level 50(my highest sword master is 36),and every normal level was 23......i am at level 30 now,and i have not come across either part of the demo(remember it was 2 locations)

Ridah
Senior Staff Writer

View Profile
« Reply #174 on: September 01, 2007, 09:24:03 PM »

Wowza! I just received the game from GameFly today and am only on my first hour, but I am loving the game so far! I know that I haven't played enough to be able to decide whether I like the combat system or not, but so far the graphics are phenominal and the art direction kicks ass on top of it. It's like Dragonball Z turned into an RPG. Also, even though the characters are cliche, I'm enjoying them. Anyhow, these are just my very initial impressions, I'm very pleasantly surprised so far.

Has anyone noticed a performance difference between 720p and 1080i?

Sean Lama
Senior Staff Editor, GamingTrend
Lockdown

LD

View Profile
« Reply #175 on: September 01, 2007, 09:34:32 PM »

I put about 3 1/2 hours in this morning.  I also absolutely love it so far. 

Now granted, I wouldn't know a good console rpg from a bad one if it came up and bit me in the ass - but I do know I'm having a helluva' good time playing it.

LD

"Let your enemies fear, for a harlequin of the Laughing God dances at your side."
Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #176 on: September 01, 2007, 09:37:42 PM »

Quote from: Lockdown on September 01, 2007, 09:34:32 PM

Now granted, I wouldn't know a good console rpg from a bad one if it came up and bit me in the ass - but I do know I'm having a helluva' good time playing it.

And in the end Lockdown that is all that matters.  Glad you are enjoying, I noticed you had played it, also noticed you unlocked an acheivement I don't have, but it is a secret so no clue what it is heh...  I am about 8 hours in and really in love with it.
Reemul

Knock Knock

View Profile WWW
« Reply #177 on: September 01, 2007, 10:03:42 PM »

Well 13 hours in and i have unlocked 2 measly achievements worth 5 each. Both were simple to get but i think killling major bosses gets you some so hopefully soon.

Lockdown

LD

View Profile
« Reply #178 on: September 02, 2007, 01:00:12 AM »

At first I thought combat was going to be lame, but the more levels I get, and the more skills I unlock, the more fun it becomes.  There is actually quite a bit of strategy involved, which is great.  Now if only the game were more difficult, so the strategy actually meant something.

Edit:  Took out my complaining about how the game is way too easy.  I'll just restart it when the patch comes out in the US.  Love the game other than that.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2007, 01:12:45 AM by Lockdown » Logged

LD

"Let your enemies fear, for a harlequin of the Laughing God dances at your side."
Ridah
Senior Staff Writer

View Profile
« Reply #179 on: September 02, 2007, 01:28:52 AM »

I'm a little over the 4 hour mark now, just reached Maru's home and saved. Absolutely loving the game so far, it has way more personality than many of the RPGs i've played before. There is definately a childish element to the design of everything but not in a bad way, kind of simlar to a Nintendo game. Although, I don't think any Nintendo games have a main character yelling "bastard!" so often. The combat system is pretty cool also, I like that there is strategy involved in charging your spells and such. It's not like in other games where you simply charge a spell to maximize it's damage, here you have to decide whether you would rather charge longer and attack later, or charge shorter (and as a result a weaker attack/heal/buff) and attack quicker.

As far as the difficulty goes, I'm actually finding it to be perfect for me. I don't have much trouble with the regular mobs, but each time I've encountered a boss so far it's taken me 4-5 attempts to realize the best strategy. Perhaps I'm not grinding as heavily as some of you, I tend to skip baddies except for the ones in front of chests or simply blocking my path. Otherwise, I don't go out of my way to initiate a battle.

Lastly, I don't understand all the complaining about searching the world for hidden stuff. From what I understood from people's whining, I thought you were supposed to basically hit the search button like... EVERYWHERE, even if nothing was around. That's totally not the case though, you just search things like cabinets and machinery and push over rocks and stuff, and more often than not you get something. Occasionally I get nothing, sometimes I get as little as 1 gold, but other times I've gotten medicine, disease cures, and a handful of gold. I don't see how this detracts from the game whatsoever, infact I feel it adds to the sense of exploration, which this game seems to have plenty of.

I'm hoping the momentum can sustain my interest the whole way through, I would really like to complete Blue Dragon considering I haven't finished one in at least 4-5 years.

Sean Lama
USMC Kato

I have a bad feeling about this....

View Profile
« Reply #180 on: September 02, 2007, 02:17:39 AM »

Quote from: Lockdown on September 02, 2007, 01:00:12 AM

At first I thought combat was going to be lame, but the more levels I get, and the more skills I unlock, the more fun it becomes.  There is actually quite a bit of strategy involved, which is great.  Now if only the game were more difficult, so the strategy actually meant something.

Edit:  Took out my complaining about how the game is way too easy.  I'll just restart it when the patch comes out in the US.  Love the game other than that.

I'm about 14 hours in with my characters around level 25-26 on hard difficulty and I'm having a great time.  Sometimes during the boss battles and the harder mobs it gets really challenging, but not impossible, with the hard download. 

Semper Fidelis

Gamertag: USMC Kato
PSN ID: USMC_Kato
Gamecenter ID: USMC Kato
Wii U Nintendo ID: USMC_Kato
Lee

View Profile
« Reply #181 on: September 02, 2007, 04:00:07 AM »

About 4 hours in, and so far it's OK. It's not hooking me like I hoped. Combat is way too easy, and it should be a lot more fun with all those skills to play with, but ends up being a chore. If you put some effort into character developent things get even easier (HP and MP come back so quickly they aren't an issue). It is satifying my need for an JRPG, but I would really like something a bit more detailed and thought out.

And Ridah, most JPRGs are childish, no matter what the system. FF started out on Nintendo even.
Ridah
Senior Staff Writer

View Profile
« Reply #182 on: September 02, 2007, 04:31:31 AM »

Quote from: Lee on September 02, 2007, 04:00:07 AM

And Ridah, most JPRGs are childish, no matter what the system. FF started out on Nintendo even.

Hmm, not in my experience. I played the Lunar games, the Final Fantasy games, and Suikoden 1 and 2, they weren't quite as childish as this one. I hate to use the term childish though, light-hearted is a better word.

Sean Lama
Azhag

View Profile
« Reply #183 on: September 02, 2007, 04:34:05 AM »

I'm just into the start of the second disc and I'm definitely enjoying it. Glad it has picked up a bit in terms of plot and I like having more characters in my party. I agree it is still too easy, but then again I can get annoyed if non-boss battles are killing me in other games too. Script isn't amazing, but still fun enough to keep me going.
Ridah
Senior Staff Writer

View Profile
« Reply #184 on: September 02, 2007, 04:39:26 AM »

6 hours in now, a few things are getting on my nerves but otherwise still a great game. My gripes thus far:

- The music during boss fights is agonizing. My longest fight yet, the 4-headed snake, left me with a minor headache by the time the battle was over. I guess i'll be turning the volume down for boss fights.

- Its easy to get lost in dungeons. The hospital ruins had me searching for the elevator for nearly 40 minutes. I haven't had as much as a problem since then, but I'm worried about future dungeons

- We need to be able to see the HP on the baddies, sometimes I forget which mob I already attacked, or which mob was healed

On the plus side, I'm really enjoying the leveling system. It definately feels like you can customize each character to be useful in the way you want. I disagree with Lee's comment about the combat being a chore considering you can run past many of the mobs, plus you can do the multiple enemy combat which speeds things up a bit. The attacks also don't take a long time to execute, which is a problem I have with many of the FF games.

Question about field skills: I have Field Barrier 1 equipped to the RB, but I can't seem to figure out how to use it. I hit the RB button and try selecting the skill in the menu, doesn't seem like it ever works. Help?

Sean Lama
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #185 on: September 02, 2007, 05:01:04 AM »

I am humiliated to admit I have not yet started-I have just been too involved in my other games right now-I plan on starting tonight.
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #186 on: September 02, 2007, 06:49:51 AM »

Quote from: Arkon on September 01, 2007, 09:37:42 PM

Quote from: Lockdown on September 01, 2007, 09:34:32 PM

And in the end Lockdown that is all that matters.  Glad you are enjoying, I noticed you had played it, also noticed you unlocked an acheivement I don't have, but it is a secret so no clue what it is heh...  I am about 8 hours in and really in love with it.

Arkon...about that achievement....it could be ..

Spoiler for Hiden:
closing the fortress doors,early on in the game a load of robots are chasing you,and you have to press A fast to close the doors to stop any coming in,if you do it fast enough and no robots break through then you get the achievement

as for achievements myself,i know i have missed some/messed some up.

Lee

View Profile
« Reply #187 on: September 02, 2007, 07:07:49 AM »

Quote from: Ridah on September 02, 2007, 04:39:26 AM

- We need to be able to see the HP on the baddies, sometimes I forget which mob I already attacked, or which mob was healed

Agreed, I really dislike that. But I don't know if you noticed but in the settings you can choose how to default target, it defaults to lowest HPs, so your guys will automatically aim for the most damaged enemy.

My question is, the black magic wind spell says it hits one target, so why does it hit every target in both rows everytime I use it?
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #188 on: September 02, 2007, 07:10:53 AM »

Quote from: Calvin on September 02, 2007, 05:01:04 AM

I am humiliated to admit I have not yet started-I have just been too involved in my other games right now-I plan on starting tonight.

I will go ahead and predict this will be another DQ8- super hyped up before release but you put off starting it forever and then when you finally do you hate it Tongue
Ridah
Senior Staff Writer

View Profile
« Reply #189 on: September 02, 2007, 08:21:05 AM »

Quote from: kathode on August 30, 2007, 05:45:10 PM

I played it last night for about 45 minutes.  Still not really out of the intro sections so I can't really comment on the game as a whole.  The thing that really gets on my nerves though, is when you have a cutscene followed by "gameplay" that consists of little more than you walking to another location.  It does this over and over again.  What's the point?  Just play the movies!  I assume the game will open up a bit at some point soon, so hopefully this will be minor, but that is a pet peeve of mine with JRPGs in general.

That is definitely only something you experience within the first hour of the game, after that the cutscenes are farther and fewer inbetween.

Sean Lama
Lockdown

LD

View Profile
« Reply #190 on: September 02, 2007, 10:14:10 AM »

Quote from: Lee on September 02, 2007, 07:07:49 AM

My question is, the black magic wind spell says it hits one target, so why does it hit every target in both rows everytime I use it?

If it's the spell I think it is - the area of effect is influenced by how long you charge it.  If it's not that spell.... well, don't get mad at me, I don't normally play these games!

icon_biggrin

LD

Reemul

Knock Knock

View Profile WWW
« Reply #191 on: September 02, 2007, 10:27:14 AM »

Sometimes with spells when you charge them up and hit the sweet spot and get a crit it hits the whole line(i think)  icon_biggrin

Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #192 on: September 02, 2007, 10:53:21 AM »

Wind when charged enough will hit everyone.  I read I think in the manual that charging a spell can affect not jsut damage but # of targets.
Lockdown

LD

View Profile
« Reply #193 on: September 02, 2007, 10:57:03 AM »

Reemul and Arkon:  You could have just typed, "Lockdown is dead on accurate."

But noooooo....

LD

Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #194 on: September 02, 2007, 11:08:09 AM »

Quote from: Lockdown on September 02, 2007, 10:57:03 AM

Reemul and Arkon:  You could have just typed, "Lockdown is dead on accurate."

But noooooo....

But you didn't even confirm the spell... I was merely confirming the spell as being wind and that yes it hits multiple targets when charged....

ass....

icon_lol
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #195 on: September 02, 2007, 01:48:39 PM »

i always thought that the wind and water spells hit everyone because it flows or blows,instead of like fire being controlled in one place....hmm,does that make sense,because i have just woken up sorry paranoid

Lee

View Profile
« Reply #196 on: September 02, 2007, 02:05:42 PM »

Quote from: metallicorphan on September 02, 2007, 01:48:39 PM

i always thought that the wind and water spells hit everyone because it flows or blows,instead of like fire being controlled in one place....hmm,does that make sense,because i have just woken up sorry paranoid

Makes sense, but the spell description on screen says "one target" for wind, and "one row" for water.

According to the manual charging wind causes "Range." Guess that means hit everyone. Thanks for the help guys.
Lockdown

LD

View Profile
« Reply #197 on: September 02, 2007, 03:15:23 PM »

(Not wind specific, but) don't forget to take advantage of the Encyclopedia as well.  The spell descriptions in there help me quite a bit.

LD

Azhag

View Profile
« Reply #198 on: September 02, 2007, 07:47:12 PM »

Hmm, I have a bad feeling I'm going to play all the way through and end up with maybe 200 achievement points if that... Apparently I'm not doing that great on the secret achievements right now either after skimming it. Still having fun, but that annoys me :-p.
Reemul

Knock Knock

View Profile WWW
« Reply #199 on: September 02, 2007, 07:49:12 PM »

I find if i have wind it seems to affect everyone in the room as well.

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 10   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: