http://gamingtrend.com
November 26, 2014, 05:54:32 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 10   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Blue Dragon Getting Some Poor Reviews  (Read 20288 times)
metallicorphan
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: August 27, 2007, 08:50:25 AM »

17hrs on the clock.......i am in some variation of castle town like in zelda...the town is pretty big,and full of life(lots of NPCs),and birds you can scare to flying off,buildings you can go in and have a nosey about...

oh,and yes...i am still on disc 1...not sure how much more there is on this disc......someone said it took him 15hrs to get off disc 1....i have been levelling up for about 3hrs straight,so i should be nearly there

Manchester United Premier League Champions 2013!!

Xbox LIVE:Metallicorphan
Wii:8565 1513 0206 1960
PSN:Metallicorphan
Reemul

Knock Knock

View Profile WWW
« Reply #41 on: August 27, 2007, 09:04:07 AM »

Well not played any yesterday, wife off atm so family stuff happening, but today i'm all alone so more BD here we come. one thing i play on a 20" widescreen monitor and i i wonder how good it looks on a 50" HD tv.

metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: August 27, 2007, 09:32:56 AM »

Quote from: Reemul on August 27, 2007, 09:04:07 AM

Well not played any yesterday, wife off atm so family stuff happening, but today i'm all alone so more BD here we come. one thing i play on a 20" widescreen monitor and i i wonder how good it looks on a 50" HD tv.

good point,i am only SONY 32"widescreen(SDTV)....wow,it would look amazing,lol

and the sound would be great coming out of a surround system!!

Reemul

Knock Knock

View Profile WWW
« Reply #43 on: August 27, 2007, 10:40:34 AM »

Yeah the sound is excellent on my 5.1 system but don't have a Hi Def tv yet.

metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: August 28, 2007, 02:01:23 AM »

20hrs 35 minutes...just got to disc 2

anyway,a friends of mine who has the PAL version has been able to download the hard mode content from a Hong Kong account,he said it worked with his PAL version...but the Japan content,wouldnt.....hopefully we will get the content anyway on the UK and US shores

i have heard that after you finish the game and start a new you keep all your stats,which would be handy
« Last Edit: August 28, 2007, 09:39:45 AM by metallicorphan » Logged

Reemul

Knock Knock

View Profile WWW
« Reply #45 on: August 28, 2007, 09:17:25 AM »

Well i'm 7 hours into disc 1 and i'm not finding it too easy at all. Some of the bigger fights sure have been close and i've had peeps killed etc while fighting. All in all a great game just wish i had more chance to play it.

metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: August 28, 2007, 09:39:23 AM »

Quote from: Reemul on August 28, 2007, 09:17:25 AM

Well i'm 7 hours into disc 1 and i'm not finding it too easy at all. Some of the bigger fights sure have been close and i've had peeps killed etc while fighting. All in all a great game just wish i had more chance to play it.

i of course meant 20hrs 35 minutes...not 2 hrs 35minutes...i  have corrected it now

yeah,its steadily getting harder...but still nothing major...once or twice one of my party dies,and i just use a phoenix talon on them

Lockdown

LD

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: August 28, 2007, 12:09:40 PM »

Calvin - I don't know if you read the Qt3 forums... but I thought you would find this thread interesting: Qt3 BD Review Discussion

Actually, anyone would probably find it interesting (or ranting - depending on your take I suppose), but I thought of Calvin in particular.

LD

"Let your enemies fear, for a harlequin of the Laughing God dances at your side."
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: August 28, 2007, 12:34:24 PM »

Quote from: Lockdown on August 28, 2007, 12:09:40 PM

Calvin - I don't know if you read the Qt3 forums... but I thought you would find this thread interesting: Qt3 BD Review Discussion

Actually, anyone would probably find it interesting (or ranting - depending on your take I suppose), but I thought of Calvin in particular.

Heh, it's kind of reversed for Calvin- he doesn't like DQ8. 
Lockdown

LD

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: August 28, 2007, 12:42:03 PM »

I know.  That's why that thread reminded me of him.  I thought he would find the comparisons a fun read.  Not to mention how heated some of the discussions over there become over some of these things.  I find it entertaining.  Especially as I know so little of console RPG games, so it's really like I'm an outsider looking in to a conversation I don't fully understand.

LD

"Let your enemies fear, for a harlequin of the Laughing God dances at your side."
Reemul

Knock Knock

View Profile WWW
« Reply #50 on: August 28, 2007, 01:34:33 PM »

I'm another that never got DQ8, seemed the monsters were underwhelming even a touch childish and i found it hard going in fact quit after 25 odd hours with a real sense of disappointment. Blue Dragon just doesn't feel like that at all.

One reply at QT3 implies that BD should be like DQ because the people involved were involved in DQ8 as well but i'm not noticing it all.

Tebunker

Ask How, Ask Now, Ask me

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: August 28, 2007, 01:59:54 PM »

Quote from: Reemul on August 28, 2007, 01:34:33 PM

I'm another that never got DQ8, seemed the monsters were underwhelming even a touch childish and i found it hard going in fact quit after 25 odd hours with a real sense of disappointment. Blue Dragon just doesn't feel like that at all.

One reply at QT3 implies that BD should be like DQ because the people involved were involved in DQ8 as well but i'm not noticing it all.

Odd that people say that because, in fact, Only Toriyama was truly involved with Dragon Quest in any major role. Sakaguchi and the music guy were products of Square, not Enix. In fact this was a lot of the original Chrono Trigger team, which is part of why some folks are dissapointed.

"I hate cynicism -- it's my least favorite quality and it doesn't lead anywhere. Nobody in life gets exactly what they thought they were going to get. But if you work really hard and you're kind amazing things will happen." - Conan O'Brien
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: August 28, 2007, 02:11:26 PM »

i never did play DQ8 so i wouldnt know

in that link the first guy posted
It's an old school JRPG, aka, 90% grind/leveling, 9% exploring, 1% story. That's fine. I played through Dragon Quest 8, and that game followed the exact same formula.

i totally disagree with this ...

1st of all:90% grinding-the grinding isnt really needed as much as most otherJRPGs...its there but nothing major,you mainly level while going through the game....unless he has a japanese version or a version with actual difficulty levels,but because he posted this yesterday,i must presume he has our version

2nd :9% exploring....i would say to be fair its definetly up to you how much you want to explore,you want to get every last bit of stuff hidden?...its gonna be 40% at least....,for me i would say 20-30%,i visit every room in every town i look through bookcases,vases and everything

3rd: 1% story.....??? i have no words for this...some cut scnes are nice and lengthy(not MGS lengthy),the story is a lot more intersting than a lot of games out there....actually,i may be so bold as to say the story is better than FFXII

when does this come out for U.S?,is it today or tomorrow,i am looking forward to your impressions,and i will be very suprised if a majority of you who buy it dont like the game,because if you are gonna buy the game that prolly means you like these sort of games,and this is up there as i have said...........its a shame that many people are gonna dismiss this because of the kiddie look(hey the 20 year old has bouncing tits...is that good enough for you?)
« Last Edit: August 28, 2007, 02:13:14 PM by metallicorphan » Logged

Farscry

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: August 28, 2007, 02:23:05 PM »

Quote from: metallicorphan on August 28, 2007, 02:11:26 PM

actually,i may be so bold as to say the story is better than FFXII

Alright, the story may be longer than FFXII's, but from everything I've read, I'd be very hard pressed to believe that the story in Blue Dragon is better.

Purge - You have unlocked an Achievement!
You are now of the rank reprobate
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: August 28, 2007, 02:29:15 PM »

Quote from: Tebunker on August 28, 2007, 01:59:54 PM

Odd that people say that because, in fact, Only Toriyama was truly involved with Dragon Quest in any major role. Sakaguchi and the music guy were products of Square, not Enix. In fact this was a lot of the original Chrono Trigger team, which is part of why some folks are dissapointed.

The folks on QT3 didn't say it was the DQ team- just the same conceptual artist. 
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: August 28, 2007, 02:33:29 PM »

Quote from: Farscry on August 28, 2007, 02:23:05 PM

Alright, the story may be longer than FFXII's, but from everything I've read, I'd be very hard pressed to believe that the story in Blue Dragon is better.

final fantasy 12s story IMO was the poorest of the series...in fact is was pretty dire,bad guys weren't up to their best,half the gang was part of the story,i have no idea what the other half were there for

everything else about the game was great,combat,towns,graphics...but i just didnt care in the end about the characters,like i did in other games

Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: August 28, 2007, 02:33:44 PM »

hey the 20 year old has bouncing tits...is that good enough for you?

Well, Starshifter?

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
KePoW

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: August 28, 2007, 02:35:41 PM »

Quote from: metallicorphan on August 28, 2007, 02:33:29 PM

Quote from: Farscry on August 28, 2007, 02:23:05 PM

final fantasy 12s story IMO was the poorest of the series...in fact is was pretty dire,bad guys weren't up to their best,half the gang was part of the story,i have no idea what the other half were there for

everything else about the game was great,combat,towns,graphics...but i just didnt care in the end about the characters,like i did in other games

I strongly disagree

you think X-2's story was better than XII's?  lol
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: August 28, 2007, 02:39:40 PM »

I'm guessing metal hasn't played FF1-3 and FF5.  I can see the argument for the rest though I don't necessarilly agree as I thought FF12's story was great.
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: August 28, 2007, 02:48:08 PM »

yeah okay the charlies angles episode was worse....(and the early FFs for obvious reasons)

actually i will take something else back,...i liked basch's involvement in the story,i liked the twin thing,i was interested in what happened there

but Panelo.....jeeesus,which FF producer was she shaggin?

DamageInc

Starts with s and ends with litting their throats

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: August 28, 2007, 03:17:12 PM »

I am picking this up despite all the mediocre reviews. I like RPGs so I will pretty much try them all

The freaks come out at nine and it's twenty to ten
Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: August 28, 2007, 04:39:10 PM »

I am definately picking this up.  Is it supposed to be in stores today?
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: August 28, 2007, 04:41:48 PM »

Supposed to be in store tomorrow, I believe. 
Farscry

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: August 28, 2007, 05:05:19 PM »

Quote from: Kevin Grey on August 28, 2007, 02:39:40 PM

I'm guessing metal hasn't played FF1-3 and FF5.  I can see the argument for the rest though I don't necessarilly agree as I thought FF12's story was great.

I found XII's story of higher quality overall than (of the "modern" FF's starting with IV, but obviously not including that bastard step-child XI) that of V, VIII, X, and X-2 (though X-2 isn't imo part of the main franchise line but rather more of an off-shoot). That said, there hasn't been a Final Fantasy title whose story I haven't at least liked, and most of them I liked quite a lot.

Purge - You have unlocked an Achievement!
You are now of the rank reprobate
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #64 on: August 28, 2007, 05:06:11 PM »

Today, tomorrow, sometime this week. Depends on a whole lot of factors.

I know that Gamestop's evil female robot hasn't called me yet, so I think it's tomorrow.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: August 28, 2007, 06:22:40 PM »

Quote from: Destructor on August 28, 2007, 05:06:11 PM

I know that Gamestop's evil female robot hasn't called me yet, so I think it's tomorrow.

Hey, you show Aeris some respect!

EddieA

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: August 28, 2007, 07:33:42 PM »

Blue Dragon invites comparison to Dragon Quest because that's what Mistwalker intended.  They didn't really make any secret of the fact that Blue Dragon was supposed to be similar to Dragon Quest, while Lost Odyssey is their answer to Final Fantasy.  From what I've seen, Blue Dragon could be Dragon Quest IX, given Toriyama's designs and the overall similarity of design (large overworld, turn-based battles, skill classes, etc).  Given that we won't be seeing a next-gen DQ for a long time, Blue Dragon should fill the void nicely.

"Why did the chicken cross the Mobius strip?  To get to the same side."  - The Big Bang Theory
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: August 28, 2007, 07:47:43 PM »

Has anyone in the US found this in stores yet?
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: August 28, 2007, 07:50:50 PM »

Quote from: Kevin Grey on August 28, 2007, 04:41:48 PM

Supposed to be in store tomorrow, I believe. 

This is breaking my heart. I want it now now now!
Jarrodhk

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: August 28, 2007, 07:58:57 PM »

I'm pretty sure that Aeris just giggles at me and makes empty wallet noises at me when I get the call.

Pikachu, I Blame you!
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #70 on: August 28, 2007, 09:00:23 PM »

Quote from: Jarrodhk on August 28, 2007, 07:58:57 PM

I'm pretty sure that Aeris just giggles at me and makes empty wallet noises at me when I get the call.

What exactly is an empty wallet noise anyway?  Tongue

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Azhag

View Profile
« Reply #71 on: August 28, 2007, 09:07:36 PM »

Best Buy and Circuit city both say it will be in tomorrow, so I'll hopefully grab it then.
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #72 on: August 28, 2007, 09:24:05 PM »

Quote from: Destructor on August 28, 2007, 09:00:23 PM

Quote from: Jarrodhk on August 28, 2007, 07:58:57 PM

What exactly is an empty wallet noise anyway?  Tongue

The flutter of moth wings.

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
Andrew Mallon

View Profile
« Reply #73 on: August 28, 2007, 09:24:40 PM »

Quote from: EddieA on August 28, 2007, 07:33:42 PM

Blue Dragon invites comparison to Dragon Quest because that's what Mistwalker intended.  They didn't really make any secret of the fact that Blue Dragon was supposed to be similar to Dragon Quest, while Lost Odyssey is their answer to Final Fantasy.  From what I've seen, Blue Dragon could be Dragon Quest IX, given Toriyama's designs and the overall similarity of design (large overworld, turn-based battles, skill classes, etc).  Given that we won't be seeing a next-gen DQ for a long time, Blue Dragon should fill the void nicely.

Except the main difference is that a next-gen Dragon Quest game will likely be developed by Level 5 or some other well-regarded Japanese Development studio. By comparison, Blue Dragon, despite having Sakaguchi as the lead designer, is developed by Artoon, makers of Blinx: The Time Sweeper. Judging from the demo, the developer's pedigree shows. Blue Dragon is technically similar to the DQ series, but it lacks everything that made DQ8 such a classic game.

Ridah
Senior Staff Writer

View Profile
« Reply #74 on: August 28, 2007, 09:33:29 PM »

GameFly must have gotten a boat load of copies of Blue Dragon, because unlike Bioshock which has low availability, it seems to be readily available for shipping.

Sean Lama
Senior Staff Editor, GamingTrend
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #75 on: August 28, 2007, 10:20:43 PM »

So, I am not going to use this thread to go into my utter distaste for DQ8, but from the demo I played, this is a game that is similar to DQ8 only in its throwback nature-the combat system overworld mechanics, save system are all light years ahead of the primitive dreck that ruined DQ8.

Either way, I couldn't find it today. Tomorrow I hope.
Reemul

Knock Knock

View Profile WWW
« Reply #76 on: August 28, 2007, 11:14:28 PM »

Well a few more hours in and gained a new member and it does seem to be a bit easy at the moment, 1 hit kills on the mobs even if i do find it hard going against the bosses. Still throughly enjoying it but hope it gets a bit harder.

metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #77 on: August 28, 2007, 11:29:44 PM »

Quote from: Reemul on August 28, 2007, 11:14:28 PM

Well a few more hours in and gained a new member and it does seem to be a bit easy at the moment, 1 hit kills on the mobs even if i do find it hard going against the bosses. Still throughly enjoying it but hope it gets a bit harder.

that is my main complaint,its too damn easy...people are saying that it is a 40hr game it could of been more if it wasnt this easy

rrmorton

View Profile
« Reply #78 on: August 29, 2007, 12:43:21 AM »

I was willing to forgive all the knocks this game had going against it... but Too Easy is very hard for me to swallow. Hmmm.
StitchJones
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #79 on: August 29, 2007, 01:30:11 AM »

I was told there was a higher difficulty setting.  Is this not true?
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 10   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: