http://gamingtrend.com
July 28, 2014, 10:46:24 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Bloodrayne 2  (Read 2141 times)
ElijahPrice
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: October 13, 2004, 10:38:18 PM »

Anybody get this game?  You all mentioned the first Bloodrayne to me...should I just skip tot his one?

Side note, I heard there was a bloodrayne movie coming out in the near future...
ATB

Thanks for everything, Ryan. 1979-2013

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2004, 11:16:14 AM »

I really enjoyed the first bloodrayne but my favorite type of game is 3rd person actioner.  It was quite good.

The over emphasis on boob jiggle was a tad absurd, but the game was quite good.

It's bargain basement cheap right now too...so give it a go...
Nth Power

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2004, 12:19:33 PM »

I played the demo and found it somewhat entertaining, but I'm going to wait for reviews before deciding if it's worth a purchase.

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities" -Voltaire
XBL gamertag: NthPowr
ElijahPrice

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2004, 01:44:22 PM »

Well, I was hoping to get some reviews here, but I guess the only one I am getting is that nobody has bought it, not a good sign.
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2004, 03:11:46 PM »

I got it and played for an hour last night.  It's better than the first one by far.  

The style is very sleek, quite impressive visually so far.  However, if the boob-jiggling was ridiculous last time, sheesh!

There's a hint of gimmicky-ness to the "chain the bad guys and throw them into the ______" format, though sometimes you need to do it to move on.  Personally, I enjoy whipping a goon into the tusk of a boar mounted on the wall, but who knows for how long.  We'll see if there's a lot of variety.  However, I did throw someone into something that I didn't realize would stick 'em twice, so that was pretty cool.

One problem that's similar to the last game is that the goons are all amazingly easy.  Then I get to a boss, and suddenly I'm down to a sliver of health.  Maybe that's just the play style of the game.  They do send a number of the easy guys at you at once, so that ups the challenge.

The real difference this year is in the moves Rayne can pull off.  There's a Prince of Persia puzzle-solving through acrobatics thing going on here.  And it's pretty good, but the problem is since we've seen it already in the sublime POP, we're just going to compare it and of course it's going to come up short.  POP was a feat.  Bloodrayne's jumping sections are just over serviceable, sometimes annoying (at least for the one major section I've played so far and the demo), if it ever gets to a section where missing a jump will kill you, then it will be frustrating.  Basically, in POP movement was fluid, while in BR, you're constantly jumping on a curious pole (why is it there?), stopping, readjusting, starting your swing again, then jumping.  It's just not as fluid, that's all.

Really that goes for combat as well.  Rayne's moves are cool, but they're not a smooth as they could be.  The jumping is just insane (I find I'm always fine tuning after I jump in combat because I've jumped higher than I expected - also, it's like skating through the air).  

If you imagine BR as a dark, violent POP (which I guess the next POP is going to be anyway...sigh), and it's hard not to sometimes, then you may be disappointed (maybe Ubisoft will buy the rights for the next BR game).  If you take it on its own merits, it seems like it'll be a fun game.

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
ElijahPrice

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2004, 05:14:12 PM »

Hey, thanx for the reveiw.  Nice nad to the point.  So, I take that if I am kinda strapped for cash then I should wait for POP: WW.  Ia m actually excited to play POP because I didn't get achnace to play the first one.  My brother said Sands of Time was great and it's on my buy used list.  Why the long face on the dark violent POP?  The trailer looked fantastic...
Vinda-Lou

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2004, 05:36:41 PM »

Quote from: "ElijahPrice"
Hey, thanx for the reveiw.  Nice nad ...

Keep that sort of talk to yourself! Tongue

(I can't believe this is my first post... :oops: )
Roguetad

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2004, 06:16:12 PM »

How are the save points?  The limited save points in the console version was my only major complaint with the first one.
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2004, 06:25:02 PM »

So...I got this game last night....and sadly it was a bad burn. frown  I'm waiting for my replacement for a full review.  Of all the bad luck...

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2004, 07:05:23 PM »

How are the save points?

I thought they were okay, but I just quit for a while facing a tough boss (at least for me).  It's only the second mission, but I got about four or five sub-levels in, faced a grueling fight against numerous thugs (who were all armed, making it more difficult), and then had to fight the lady boss and a couple of her thugs (one of whom was shooting at me from behind a fence).  I died pretty quickly and was frustrated to find I had to start from the multi-thug fight.  I tried a few more times, then shut it off to try something else and come back to it.  When I restarted, I found I had to start from the beginning of the whole level again.  Very, very annoying.  BR2 just dropped a few pegs for me, unless I discover I did something wrong, which is always possible, but I see no save options in the menu.  Grrr.

Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 15, 2004, 03:44:08 PM »

Why the long face on the dark violent POP?

Just because the dark shift isn't really POP as we've known him for a few decades.  It feels like they're compromising the integrity for the masses.  I get it, though.  The last one didn't sell well despite being brilliant, so they're edging him up to get the sales.  I'm sure it'll be good (I'm downloading the demo right now, btw), I'm just a little sad that the Prince had to sell out.

ElijahPrice

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 15, 2004, 04:43:19 PM »

What demo?  Throw a brotha a link....
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 15, 2004, 05:45:02 PM »

http://www.worthplaying.com/article.php?sid=20765

http://www.fileplanet.com/files/140000/146733.shtml

http://www.3dgamers.com/news/more/1096480070/

Gryndyl

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 26, 2004, 04:21:18 PM »

We picked this up last night and are having quite a lot of fun with it. Yes, the acrobatics are kinda pale compared to PoP but the severed limbs and geysers of blood make up for it. Every game has to have it's "cool" focus and  Blood Rayne 2 goes for combat brutality over acrobatics. Combat is a lot of fun, especially in the slow motion mode that's available.  Rayne's other advantage over PoP is that you're watching  a hot leather clad vampiress flipping and cartwheeling around rather then a prepubescent scrawny teenage boy. Not that there's anything wrong with that.

Violent, gory and sexy. There may be better entries in the genre but this one is a lot of fun if the setting appeals to you.. We're still fairly early in and are getting our asses handed to us by the 2nd "boss" but are having fun trying to get past her.

Twitter: Slush Pile Tweets
Amazon Author Pages: Horror, Humor
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 26, 2004, 06:09:01 PM »

I've found a few times that I've "lucked into" a quick kill with a boss.  On one it was fairly obvious what I had done (let's say a car was involved), but the other two were a complete mystery.  These bosses had been kicking my ass steadily and then all of a sudden died in a flurry of randomness.  I shrugged and moved on, but it's a little frustrating, and I wish I could reproduce it.

ElijahPrice

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 26, 2004, 06:30:45 PM »

Thanx for the links Bullwinkle...

I think I am going to gamefly Bloodrayne 2, I just don't have the cash though I really want to see it.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: