http://gamingtrend.com
April 23, 2014, 07:32:45 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Bloodbowl - Warhammer/American football/fantasy football  (Read 16581 times)
Razgon
Gaming Trend Senior Member

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #280 on: July 05, 2009, 12:39:10 PM »

Quote from: Glycerine on July 05, 2009, 12:37:53 PM

Quote from: Tals on July 05, 2009, 12:34:22 PM

The difference is I'm playing it as a board game you're playing it as a sports game. I suspect you would have loved chaos league which I really didn't. The gameplay is totally different IMHO.

I think you're right, to each his own and it's just a testament to how awesome this game is that it can keep both of us playing even though we obviously have very different play styles.

you two should fight it out in two matches - one RT and TB :-D

A new one
Tals

View Profile
« Reply #281 on: July 05, 2009, 12:42:27 PM »

Hehe I would get creamed in realtime and moan worse than hark in a dg game smile

Currently Playing: Psyconauts, lol, wee raptr: Tals Steam: Talsworthy
Glycerine

View Profile
« Reply #282 on: July 05, 2009, 01:36:39 PM »

Quote from: Tals on July 05, 2009, 12:42:27 PM

Hehe I would get creamed in realtime and moan worse than hark in a dg game smile

Just like I would get smoked in turn-based, so it's all relative.    icon_biggrin

Lord Percy
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #283 on: July 05, 2009, 04:04:02 PM »

I just had the most awesomest bestest match ever against the Skaven. I inflicted 3 kills, 9 or 10 more injuries, and about 5 knock-outs. They had no option but to skip their last turn, as they didn't have any players left on the field.  eek My minotaur turned level 4, and was only 10 SPP removed from level 5 after this match. icon_eek It was glorious.
Crusis

Horror hack extraordinaire

View Profile WWW
« Reply #284 on: July 05, 2009, 04:55:29 PM »

Thanks for everyone's comments. I purchased this on Friday and finally played the tutorials and my first match this morning. The game is amazing looking, fun and wow - what a ruleset.

I was pounded in my first quickmatch so bad that I quit at half time. Time to try again.

-Crusis

I get paid to write books. It's a thing. http://timothywlong.com
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #285 on: July 05, 2009, 04:59:36 PM »

Anyone who wants to play let me know.  I'm almost always up for some games and hate playing strangers (well, more strange than GT folk anyway)

Hit me up on Xfire or Steam
denoginizer

View Profile
« Reply #286 on: July 06, 2009, 01:03:54 PM »

It's been a long time since I've played the board game version.  But from what I remember this game an exact recreation.  I created my Human team and jumped into a campaign last night.  I lost two heartbreakers to the Dwarves (2-1) and Skaven (3-2).  In both cases my opponents won on their last turn.  I sit here at my desk this morning planning for my next match.  

If someone starts another online league I am definitely in.

Xbox Live Tag: denoginizer
PSN Name: denoginizer
Tals

View Profile
« Reply #287 on: July 06, 2009, 01:05:56 PM »

Check the MP forums out, there is one league in play at the moment and one Euro league needing a few more players or start or encourage another one to start. Lots of people want to play this game more smile

We have a couple of vent servers to keep the communication flowing smile

Eduardo X

View Profile
« Reply #288 on: July 06, 2009, 02:47:37 PM »

I finally stepped it up to Hard with Orcs after barely losing games on medium with humans, and having my team's value far exceed my opponents'.

I won my first match against humans, mostly through luck. My goblin scored twice, but I never threw him. He just ran it in both times off of hand-offs.

Our league needs to get moving!

PSN ID: EduardoX
Atragon
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #289 on: July 06, 2009, 11:20:52 PM »

I'm cleaning up in a Classic league on Medium with my Lizardmen, especially now that I'm getting block on all my Saurus. The plan is simple, the Saurus beat the other team into a pulp while the skinks either 1) Run the ball in for touchdowns, or 2) Add strength bonuses and foul the other team while they're down.

I was playing a Skaven team on the weekend and by the end of the match they had 3 rats left on the field.

"We do what we must because we can."
X-Box Live: TragicNut
Lord Percy
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #290 on: July 07, 2009, 07:57:14 AM »

Quote from: Atragon on July 06, 2009, 11:20:52 PM

I'm cleaning up in a Classic league on Medium with my Lizardmen, especially now that I'm getting block on all my Saurus. The plan is simple, the Saurus beat the other team into a pulp while the skinks either 1) Run the ball in for touchdowns, or 2) Add strength bonuses and foul the other team while they're down.

I was playing a Skaven team on the weekend and by the end of the match they had 3 rats left on the field.

I love playing against Skaven. It's pure carnage every single time. biggrin There's almost always someone waiting to level up afterwards.

I'm making good use of the 'n' key now. It not only shows how much experience a guy has, but also how much experience he needs to advance to the next level. It's a good tool to decide who to attack with and who to score a touchdown with.
Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #291 on: July 07, 2009, 11:56:44 AM »

I just found something interesting over at the official forums- appearently, this game hasnt been cracked yet, 3 weeks after release? Thats pretty cool and good news for Focus! I wonder if its a digital release, and the two codes you need, that does this?

A new one
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #292 on: July 07, 2009, 06:39:11 PM »

any word on if there's going to be a demo for this?  last game I ran out and bought due to the forum effect (Demigod) is gathering virtual dust right now, so I'd like to try before I buy this time.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #293 on: July 07, 2009, 07:07:54 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on July 07, 2009, 06:39:11 PM

any word on if there's going to be a demo for this?  last game I ran out and bought due to the forum effect (Demigod) is gathering virtual dust right now, so I'd like to try before I buy this time.
You make very little sense right now...What did you do last night? You ran out and bought...due? ;-D

anyways, there's been no word on a demo on the forums, but...If you like strategy, and you like violence, orcs and smashing your opponent to pulp, I'm pretty sure you'll love it.  Also, there's more singleplayer in this game if you want it, in Demigod :-)

A new one
Tals

View Profile
« Reply #294 on: July 07, 2009, 09:27:29 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on July 07, 2009, 06:39:11 PM

That's because you didn't play with us  crybaby

Anyway I suspect this would be a better purchase for you - though I love both! Demo - don't hold your breath, only worry I have with this game not being as huge as it should be is the devs frown

Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #295 on: July 07, 2009, 10:22:06 PM »

To try a bashy team, I just started a Chaos team...did okay at the first two matches, won them both, and at the third, against skaven? Won 3-0, and had 8 skaven players at the end :-D Damn this is fun!

A new one
denoginizer

View Profile
« Reply #296 on: July 08, 2009, 02:57:50 AM »

Sometimes this game can be frustrating.

I just finished a match where I rolled double ones on Foul Action rolls 4 times in a row with my Dwarf team.   mad My human opponent then ran circles around me since it's tough to cover the pitch with only 7 dwarves against 11 humans.

But I keep coming back for more. The game is so well designed.  With each player having only four ratings of only 1-10, you wouldn't think the different races would play drastically different.  But boy do they.  
« Last Edit: July 08, 2009, 12:15:24 PM by denoginizer » Logged

Brendan

two oh sickness

View Profile
« Reply #297 on: July 08, 2009, 03:36:05 AM »

Quote from: denoginizer on July 08, 2009, 02:57:50 AM

With each player having only four ratings of only 1-6, you wouldn't think the different races would play drastically different.

Look who's never chased a Gutter Runner around the pitch! slywink
Lord Percy
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #298 on: July 08, 2009, 07:36:18 AM »

One of the gutter runners from a Skaven team in my game has a movement allowance of 10. Luckily, due to a previous injury he also has an armour value of only 6 icon_twisted.

I'm putting prehensile tails or tentacles on all my super star players now, if only to prevent those gutter runners (and to a lesser extent, elves) from slipping through the cracks in round 1. My super star tentacled minotaur is great at ruining the opposing team's blitz. Only 66 more points until he reaches legendary status! Tongue
denoginizer

View Profile
« Reply #299 on: July 08, 2009, 12:10:39 PM »

Quote from: Brendan on July 08, 2009, 03:36:05 AM

Quote from: denoginizer on July 08, 2009, 02:57:50 AM

With each player having only four ratings of only 1-6, you wouldn't think the different races would play drastically different.

Look who's never chased a Gutter Runner around the pitch! slywink

Whoops.  Typo there.

My point still applies.  icon_biggrin
« Last Edit: July 08, 2009, 12:16:37 PM by denoginizer » Logged

Eduardo X

View Profile
« Reply #300 on: July 08, 2009, 02:51:32 PM »

Playing as Orcs, I finally made a cage to protect my thrower as we marched down the field.

I killed 2 dwarves, knocked out another, and injured yet another. On hard. On just 1 drive.

I guess I've found my team and my strategy.

denoginizer

View Profile
« Reply #301 on: July 08, 2009, 05:54:40 PM »

I played the second half of my Human teams' match this morning before coming into work. (A true sign that I am obsessed.)  

Playing against another human squad on hard.  I enter my 16th turn tied 1-1 with my thrower in possession of the ball near midfield.  Since this is my last turn and the CPU only has 1 turn left, I figured the worst I could do was get a draw and one point in the standings.  

I move my thrower up to make a pass to hopefully win the game.  I'm thinking the worst that could happen is that my catcher will drop the ball and the CPU will not be able to recover the ball and score with just one turn to go.

Of course my thrower (not standing in any enemy tackle zone) rolls a 1,  mad then (due to his Pass skill re roll,)   ANOTHER 1  mad, causing him to fumble.  mad mad mad

Needless to say the CPU team picked up the ball on scored on it's last turn to get a 2-1 victory.  

Brutal.

Does playing on hard infuence dice rolls? Or just CPU strategy?  If it affects dice rolls I'm dropping down to medium before I break my keyboard, or put my fist through my monitor screen.

Chaz

View Profile
« Reply #302 on: July 08, 2009, 06:12:01 PM »

I've seen those kinds of crazy results before on easy and medium, so I'd say that no, difficulty doesn't affect them, they just hate us. 

Once I had my chaos warrior trying to go for it for one extra square.  He failed, failed his injury roll, and knocked himself out.  I also saw the dwarfs injure two other chaos warriors in a row, killing one.  I've also had one of my blockers roll double skulls, then reroll and get double skulls again.

Lockdown

LD

View Profile
« Reply #303 on: July 08, 2009, 07:00:06 PM »

deno - I had read somewhere (don't ask for a source, as I'll never be able to find it) - that dice rolls are not influenced by difficulty level.  The biggest difference is apparently CPU tactics.

LD

"A young woman led them across the galaxy, and it is she who will lead them again.  Her name is Karan S'jet."
Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #304 on: July 08, 2009, 08:14:06 PM »

Quote from: Lockdown on July 08, 2009, 07:00:06 PM

deno - I had read somewhere (don't ask for a source, as I'll never be able to find it) - that dice rolls are not influenced by difficulty level.  The biggest difference is apparently CPU tactics.

Its over at the official forums - Dice rolls are not rigged, tactics get better at higher levels

A new one
Eduardo X

View Profile
« Reply #305 on: July 08, 2009, 08:26:41 PM »

Somebody on QT3 posted some XML files that showed that dice rolls ARE weighted. Take a look.
It isn't evidence, really, just a guess that the numbers are skewed.

denoginizer

View Profile
« Reply #306 on: July 08, 2009, 08:27:36 PM »

That's good to know.  Thanks guys.

I'm sure I've been the beneficiary of some lucky rolls.  But it seems the only ones I remember are the ones where I got boned.

Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #307 on: July 08, 2009, 08:29:09 PM »

Quote from: Eduardo X on July 08, 2009, 08:26:41 PM

Somebody on QT3 posted some XML files that showed that dice rolls ARE weighted. Take a look.

There *may* be an unconfirmed issue regarding rerolls - appearently, if you click "re-roll" to quickly, within 1-2 seconds, you'll get the same result, but if you wait, the dice will roll normally

A new one
denoginizer

View Profile
« Reply #308 on: July 08, 2009, 08:33:43 PM »

Quote from: Razgon on July 08, 2009, 08:29:09 PM

There *may* be an unconfirmed issue regarding rerolls - appearently, if you click "re-roll" to quickly, within 1-2 seconds, you'll get the same result, but if you wait, the dice will roll normally

I read that and tried waiting 30 seconds before clicking reroll and it has helped.  But skill based rerolls happen immediately and I see alot of them fail.

Edit--  Given Eduardo's post above it does seem like the dice could be weighted.  Although it looks like you gain a benefit at easier levels and the dice are unweighted on hard if I am reading that right, and if the XML actually is used by the program.

Bob

View Profile
« Reply #309 on: July 09, 2009, 08:03:51 PM »

A little off topic, but Blood Bowl PC inspired me to dig out my old Blood Bowl teams and I saw that this stuff is going for decent money on ebay.  So I photographed and listed my Undead team (I'll probably get seller's remorse later.)  Here's the pics:

Blockers

Blitzers

Linemen

More linemen

Catchers
ROTC1983

Is it really that Kampfy?

View Profile
« Reply #310 on: July 09, 2009, 08:49:50 PM »

I wish the undead were in the game already...sigh smile

Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #311 on: July 09, 2009, 10:24:06 PM »

the cheating of dice was disproven on the main forums I believe. I'll look for the post.
Lord Percy
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #312 on: July 10, 2009, 12:22:39 PM »

So any word on when the Undead will be added to the game? I'd like to start over with a new team, and mummies, zombies and skeletons sound great.
Soulchilde

You and I have unfinished business

View Profile
« Reply #313 on: July 10, 2009, 04:12:52 PM »

Played some quick matces to get th hang of the game.  Made a Human team since I've read they are the easiest and most  balanced team to learn the game with.  So my 40K Black Templar team has been born!!

Quote from: Devil on January 12, 2007, 01:14:38 AM

NiM$
denoginizer

View Profile
« Reply #314 on: July 10, 2009, 04:33:07 PM »

I have found that Humans are actually one of the harder races to use.  With Chaos or Dwarves you just cage up and bash your way down the middle.  With Skaven and Goblins you make dodges through the line and try to out race teams.  With Humans and to some degree Orcs, you have to be flexable and make plans on the fly.

Eduardo X

View Profile
« Reply #315 on: July 10, 2009, 05:51:14 PM »

Some thoughts on the AI.

I have to agree, the AI is stupefyingly terrible.

Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #316 on: July 10, 2009, 05:52:31 PM »

I still get beaten from time to time on easy...especially, as when the AI just scored 3 casualites all of the sudden on me, resulting in 3 deaths within a single turn.

Anyone else quit in rage from the AI when stuff like that happens?

A new one
Eduardo X

View Profile
« Reply #317 on: July 10, 2009, 05:53:45 PM »

Quote from: Razgon on July 10, 2009, 05:52:31 PM

I still get beaten from time to time on easy...especially, as when the AI just scored 3 casualites all of the sudden on me, resulting in 3 deaths within a single turn.

Anyone else quit in rage from the AI when stuff like that happens?
It happened to me about 5 times in my PvP game with Brendan, so I have started to take it better. I just assume it'll happen more against a decent opponent.

denoginizer

View Profile
« Reply #318 on: July 10, 2009, 06:12:40 PM »

The AI even on hard isn't as good as an average human player familiar with the mechanics of the game.  But when you are playing with 1000 point value teams, dice rolls sometimes play a bigger roll than strategy. 

I just try to make good decisions.  If the dice go against me I'm OK with it if I feel like I made the right decisions during my turn.  I get angry when I intentionally take a dumb chance and get burned.  Like trying to dogde into a 6+ tackle zone with my dwarf blocker.  It's just like poker, magic, etc.  Any game that includes random elements can frustrate you if you can't deal with the randomness.

Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #319 on: July 11, 2009, 08:17:54 AM »

reposted from the main forums

Joor wrote:Play on medium then - the take AI a lot more risks smile

See my latest post. After experimenting on Hard and Medium, this is correct.

Medium is absolutely the way to go.
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: