http://gamingtrend.com
July 30, 2014, 01:51:47 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Bloodbowl - Warhammer/American football/fantasy football  (Read 17061 times)
Tals
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« Reply #240 on: July 01, 2009, 04:39:34 PM »

Quote from: denoginizer on July 01, 2009, 04:29:13 PM

Quote from: Lockdown on July 01, 2009, 12:22:20 PM

........... I've had one player (a gutter runner) KILLED by a rock thrown by a fan on a kickoff.  D-E-A-D!

My new goal is to end the championship with at least 2 members of the original team still breathing.   icon_neutral  

Similar to Hark, I have no words to describe how much I love this game.

That sounds awesome.

I can't wait until the 360 version comes out. 

It is rare that a game comes out for the PC before the 360 these days.

It depends if you just keep an eye on the console scene or PC. I could name a whole wealth of games, Demigod would be another. Both this and BB are my favourite games. Though BB does shade it by quite a lot.

I'm sure the console will be fine but I like the mouse for controlling the pieces.

Tals

Currently Playing: Psyconauts, lol, wee raptr: Tals Steam: Talsworthy
Glycerine

View Profile
« Reply #241 on: July 03, 2009, 01:11:38 AM »

Picked this up today, it's been really fun to play so far.  I tried both turn-based and blitz mode, so far I've had best luck with Chaos.  I did a blitz game against the dwarves and totally dominated them:

Probably gonna play quick games with each team before I start a campaign.  I can't quite wrap my brain around turn-based yet, got demolished by both the orcs and elves when I tried.  Blitz mode works much better for me, it's real time and I can stop the action whenever I want to issue orders.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2009, 01:23:10 AM by Glycerine » Logged

faide
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #242 on: July 03, 2009, 02:05:48 AM »

Tried to buy this today but they apparently don't want my money  crybaby

I tried one credit card 3 times and kept getting an error that I needed to verify my information.  It was perfect all 3 times.  I tried a second card, and it looked like it was going to work, but after hitting the submit button it refreshed to a white screen with nothing on it.  I didn't want to resubmit for fear that it may have actually gone through and I didn't want to get charged twice.  Anyone else having issues picking this up?

Tals

View Profile
« Reply #243 on: July 03, 2009, 05:57:12 AM »

Quote from: Glycerine on July 03, 2009, 01:11:38 AM

Picked this up today, it's been really fun to play so far.  I tried both turn-based and blitz mode, so far I've had best luck with Chaos.  I did a blitz game against the dwarves and totally dominated them:

Please tell me you're only using those screenshots to demo how good the game looks smile I rarely go in that view now, spend most of my time in the top down view.

I've not played a blitz game yet - at the moment I like the fact that for the Classic games I know I have realms of documentation on it so I suspect that is where I will remain

Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #244 on: July 03, 2009, 06:15:19 AM »

for reference Glyc, Blitz mode is available in both turn based and real-time and the Blitz title refers to the additions available not the real time component.

I like Blitz games for some of the rules, but I dislike some of the other ones.  I despise the real time component though and can't fathom why anyone would want to play that way  ninja
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #245 on: July 03, 2009, 07:25:16 AM »

Helpful link for noobs and vets alike

http://bloodbowlplaybook.com/blocking-statistics-odds-tables/
Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #246 on: July 03, 2009, 08:20:42 AM »

Last evening, as I was walking behind three people in the supermarket, I considered if I had high enough agility to dodge them all without being blocked, and how I was to position them to evade them easily... I need a break from this game

A new one
Glycerine

View Profile
« Reply #247 on: July 03, 2009, 11:34:21 AM »

Quote from: Tals
Please tell me you're only using those screenshots to demo how good the game looks smile I rarely go in that view now, spend most of my time in the top down view.

Nah, I don't actually play from that view.  I'm usually zoomed out over the field where I can see everything, that way I can keep track of my entire team.  I haven't tried top-down yet, think I'll give it a shot on my next game.

Quote from: Harkonis
for reference Glyc, Blitz mode is available in both turn based and real-time and the Blitz title refers to the additions available not the real time component.

I like Blitz games for some of the rules, but I dislike some of the other ones.  I despise the real time component though and can't fathom why anyone would want to play that way  ninja

Sorry, but I have to completely disagree with you there.  It may be if you're in the mood for a slower paced game, but I'm not feeling turn-based right now.  I'm guessing that once I really start learning the ends and outs of the game, I'll probably have to make the switch so that I can carefully plan each turn out.  Right now it's just extreme smash-mouth football, with a blood-soaked twist, and I'm loving it!

Load-times are taking about 30-35 seconds, so not sure what all the complaint is about that.  I've only done quick matches, maybe when you get into the campaign it takes longer.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2009, 11:41:53 AM by Glycerine » Logged

Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #248 on: July 03, 2009, 12:26:41 PM »

Here's a replay of my 'Dream Team' of Wood Elves.  It's basically a team full of level 6 players.  The opponent gets 1.6 million or so in inducements. O_o

Dream Team Replay
Tals

View Profile
« Reply #249 on: July 03, 2009, 12:26:58 PM »

Out of interest this site has the price of the key at crazy price

http://www.onlinekeystore.com/Blood-Bowl.html

You do have to trust they won't do anything nasty with your credit card....

Tals

Tals

View Profile
« Reply #250 on: July 03, 2009, 12:34:20 PM »

Saw this posted on QT3 - concise version of rules, very good!

http://files.boardgamegeek.com/file/download/31nm78y8pq/LRB5_Ickle_v1.0.pdf

Lockdown

LD

View Profile
« Reply #251 on: July 03, 2009, 01:22:45 PM »

My Love Affair with Blood Bowl

You know, there are times (albeit fewer and fewer the older I get) during my gaming life that a game comes along and just strikes me to almost be at a loss for words.  I find it so incredibly enjoyable; I canít stop thinking about it, and can hardly stop playing it.  Itís happened to me a few times.  The first was when I was pretty young, a game called Missionforce:Cyberstorm consumed me.  A turn-based game played on a grid based around Mech combat.  The second was a game called Starfleet Command by Taldren, based on the boardgame of the same name centered in the StarTrek Universe focusing on starship combat.  The third was the first NFL 2k game for the Sega Dreamcast.  And now Iíve discovered the 4th game to do this to me: and Blood Bowl is it.

I know others on this board can relate.  Whether it be games like MOO, X-Com, Civilization,  Master of Magic, Diablo, Baldurís Gate, Morrowind, or whatever.  I think we all have those games that do it to us.  The funny thing is, most if not all of those games are not exactly going to win any awards for polish and being error-free.  There are usually issues and problems with the games that other people find easily, and yet donít seem to be that big a deal to us.  Iím guessing Blood Bowl is no different.  Be it the interface, the A.I., the potential save game errors, or whatever else.

But in thinking about it, I believe the core of the ďlove affairĒ is in the design of the game.  I think that is the trigger that just makes us go, ďWhoaÖ this is awesome.Ē  I still remember playing Missionforce: Cyberstorm, and remembering how cool it was to be able to up a pilotís stats and abilities in order to make the mechs (hurks) he piloted more effective.  But honestly, other than that progression, and the fact you were running through a mission sequence, you were basically doing the same thing over and over and over again.  You had a group of guys, and you were trying to destroy the opposing group of guys.  That was essentially it. 

Blood Bowl is really not that different.  You have a team, they have team Ė and youíre trying to kick the living piss out of them while simultaneously winning the game.  Now, in between doing that, there are some incredibly cool things like setting up Championships, Tournaments, Cups, and Campaigns.  There is the ability to gain points which are spent to increase your playerís stats and abilities.  There is money earned in order to buy neat little ancillary things to give your team single-game boosts.  There is stat tracking of all your personally-named players, leader boards like in a football or soccer league, and a neat multiplayer component including player-run leagues.

But the coolest thing about Blood Bowl to me is that itís just fun.  It combines some of the  things I love about gaming into one big package.  Itís got sports, fantasy creatures, competition, stats, tournaments, player progression, atmosphere, and strategy gaming oozing out its pores; all wrapped up in one delicious package.  So for me personally, itís like mana from heaven.  I absolutely love it to death, and am grateful as heck to the people on these boards (and the OO boards) for talking it up enough so that I could discover it.

Just like the other 3 games mentioned above; someone could review it, give it a 5 out of 10 stars, nitpick it to death enough where every error and issue was exposed; and it wouldnít even put a dent in my feelings for the game.  It just wouldnít matter.  I think as gamers, we all want to find these games every so often.  And when we do, we are ecstatic to be able to get lost in them for however long the euphoria may last. 

Iím there right now... and loving every second of it.  For those of you waiting on the console version, I really am hoping Cyanide does as good a job as they've done on the PC.  You guys are in for a treat and a half as far as I'm concerned.

Now please excuse me as I try to prepare for an Orc team that wants to dismember my poor Skaven Gutter Runnerís legs from his torso.  I canít really afford to lose another player, as Iím still recovering from the death of my Thrower at the hands of the last Chaos team that are using my severed fingers as decorations for their uniforms.

LD

"Let your enemies fear, for a harlequin of the Laughing God dances at your side."
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #252 on: July 03, 2009, 01:39:20 PM »

Quote from: Tals on July 03, 2009, 12:26:58 PM

Tals

Haven't used this one before but I've bought keys from similar stores before and there are a fair amount of them that are legit. 
Tals

View Profile
« Reply #253 on: July 03, 2009, 02:34:53 PM »

Quote from: Harkonis on July 03, 2009, 01:39:20 PM

Quote from: Tals on July 03, 2009, 12:26:58 PM

Tals

Haven't used this one before but I've bought keys from similar stores before and there are a fair amount of them that are legit. 

It's gone so I guess that answers the question slywink

Vinda-Lou

View Profile
« Reply #254 on: July 03, 2009, 03:17:51 PM »

Has anyone ordered this online within the last day or so?  I was told that there is a strategy guide -that was meant for preorders- that was still being given with the order.  Also, is this download only, or will it be available with a disc, box, and manual?
denoginizer

View Profile
« Reply #255 on: July 03, 2009, 03:30:58 PM »

Quote from: Vinda-Lou on July 03, 2009, 03:17:51 PM

Has anyone ordered this online within the last day or so?  I was told that there is a strategy guide -that was meant for preorders- that was still being given with the order.  Also, is this download only, or will it be available with a disc, box, and manual?

I ordered it this morning.  There is a 66 page PDF strategy guide included in the docs folder.

Xbox Live Tag: denoginizer
PSN Name: denoginizer
Vinda-Lou

View Profile
« Reply #256 on: July 03, 2009, 03:33:35 PM »

Awesome.  Ordering now.
Tals

View Profile
« Reply #257 on: July 03, 2009, 08:58:45 PM »

You won't be sorry, this is a very good game. We need more leagues smile

ROTC1983

Is it really that Kampfy?

View Profile
« Reply #258 on: July 03, 2009, 09:10:20 PM »

I agree...did you post our matchup on Xfire Tals?

Tals

View Profile
« Reply #259 on: July 03, 2009, 11:23:46 PM »

Which matchup?

ROTC1983

Is it really that Kampfy?

View Profile
« Reply #260 on: July 04, 2009, 03:45:34 AM »

Ooohh...I thought we were up in the league...haven't checked in a while smile

Canuck

I live in Japan

View Profile
« Reply #261 on: July 04, 2009, 02:12:04 PM »

Not much to add here as I don't even have the game-I just wanted to congratulate the GT PC forum for having an even bigger thread about this game than OO does!
Tals

View Profile
« Reply #262 on: July 04, 2009, 02:40:03 PM »

Good to see you canuck. Get the game it has a load of replay value with the online leagues and gameplay is very well done. I only hope the devs make the most of this opportunity adding new races and possibly incorporating some of the stuff they missed out.

Chaz

View Profile
« Reply #263 on: July 04, 2009, 03:06:49 PM »

Quote from: Canuck on July 04, 2009, 02:12:04 PM

Not much to add here as I don't even have the game-I just wanted to congratulate the GT PC forum for having an even bigger thread about this game than OO does!

To be fair, the OO thread started on the day of release, and is currently 5 pages.  There was also a two page thread in the unreleased game forums about the beta, plus another straggler thread in there too.  I think they're about equal.

Tals

View Profile
« Reply #264 on: July 04, 2009, 03:29:42 PM »

Not sure we even need to compare the two. Both are providing useful information and have similar posters

Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #265 on: July 04, 2009, 08:16:14 PM »

I alternate between bouts of genious, and utter stupidity in this game...and DAMN woodelves are an expensive team. I cannot afford to loose a wardancer - they are way to valuable... I like the game, but damn I suck at it, especially against running teams, because whenever they have the ball, I want to stop them, by placing one near their man....probably a pretty bad idea

IS it really best to just let them score?

A new one
Glycerine

View Profile
« Reply #266 on: July 05, 2009, 12:09:19 AM »

I started up a blitz campaign on Medium using a newly formed Chaos team, aptly named the Rift Ravagers.  I managed to roll through the first competition undefeated.  I was hoping my minotaur would come out as a rising star, but he smashed his knee early during the first game and hasn't done much since.  I have a chaos warrior and beastman who have risen to the top.  I just bought them both a new set of veteran armor to start the next competition.

The first game against the skaven team was pretty close, then I dominated both the dwarf and human teams.  The human team took a really bad beating, one of their players getting killed by an enraged fan in the final minutes.  I met them again in the finals, where they received a hefty 220,000 gold inducement.  They hired a star player, and came out strong leading 4-1 at the half.  I hit them hard in the second half, coming away with a 7-5 win.

The next competition awaits, we'll see who the Ravagers play first.  This game is just all kinds of awesome!  
« Last Edit: July 05, 2009, 12:13:47 AM by Glycerine » Logged

denoginizer

View Profile
« Reply #267 on: July 05, 2009, 04:31:47 AM »

Quote from: Glycerine on July 05, 2009, 12:09:19 AM

I hit them hard in the second half, coming away with a 7-5 win.

How did you score 6 times in one half?  Can't you only have 4 possesions at the most?

Xbox Live Tag: denoginizer
PSN Name: denoginizer
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #268 on: July 05, 2009, 05:54:53 AM »

Quote from: denoginizer on July 05, 2009, 04:31:47 AM

Quote from: Glycerine on July 05, 2009, 12:09:19 AM

I hit them hard in the second half, coming away with a 7-5 win.

How did you score 6 times in one half?  Can't you only have 4 possesions at the most?

He doesn't play with the rules we all do, he's in Real-Time mode.  He lives in a world alone. slywink

I had the most obscenely lopsided match ever in one of my leagues tonight.  I'm rather grateful the game ended up locking up on both ends and the results weren't valid.  Thankfully my opponents casualties weren't particularly lucky, but all his other rolls were.

At one point he had a 7 roll streak of 4 5's and 3 6's.  I stopped counting after that but I don't recall a single turnover from him.  Me on the other hand.... I failed at everything, ran out of rerolls, rerolled Attacker Down from Attacker Down and more.  Was completely brutal.

Lopsided Replay
coopasonic

View Profile WWW
« Reply #269 on: July 05, 2009, 06:04:15 AM »

read the thread a bit, bought the game and now I can't stop playing... I suck... a lot,but it's so much fun. I'm pretty good at turned based tactical strategy games, but for some reason, I really suck at this one. After a few really depressing matches I dropped down to easy  mode in the campaign and things are more competitive. I know I should read through the thread but is there a team that is "easy mode" for campaign play or is it more of a rock paper scissors set up?

I've only played as orcs so far and have played against skaven (holyshitfast), human, and dwarf...

It was this moment that took the movie from being a little ho-hum to ďholy shit, did that shark just eat a plane!?Ē
Glycerine

View Profile
« Reply #270 on: July 05, 2009, 11:42:42 AM »

Quote from: Harkonis on July 05, 2009, 05:54:53 AM

He doesn't play with the rules we all do, he's in Real-Time mode.  He lives in a world alone. slywink

Not alone, but clearly in the minority.  Turn-based mode is much too slow for my tastes, I understand it's like the board game but it's not at all like real football.  You don't tell a quarterback or running back that they can only score 4 touchdowns in a half because they only get 4 possessions, that's not football.  Of course, in real football the players don't beat each other to a bloody pulp for the ball, but I for one think it would take the game to an entirely new level.    icon_twisted

It's nice that they give you the option to do both, as I would have most likely put the game up for trade if turn-based was it.  I'm sure it's a very faithful representation of the rules, but to me it's just flat out boring.  I'm curious how things will go when it's released in the fall for consoles.  Will the twitch gamers on Live and PSN be happy with the slow and methodical turn-based mode, or the fast action of real-time?  I'm betting the latter, but I could be way off base.  For now, it's back to the Ravagers and their quest for Blood Bowl domination!  icon_twisted
« Last Edit: July 05, 2009, 11:48:47 AM by Glycerine » Logged

Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #271 on: July 05, 2009, 11:46:42 AM »

how much does your players level and skills influence the game, when everything is happening realtime? Damn, I cant imagine playing this any other way than Turn-Based... but maybe I should try, could be fun, although why the computer doesnt have a huge advantage here, I dont understand.

But I agree with the fact thats its awesome both options are there!

A new one
Tals

View Profile
« Reply #272 on: July 05, 2009, 11:52:59 AM »

I never played the board game and like raz I couldn't play this any other way than turn based. I love the strategy and the random element that the dice pulls in.

Euro time zone players check out the MP as I am just setting up a euro league at the moment

Glycerine

View Profile
« Reply #273 on: July 05, 2009, 12:05:16 PM »

Quote from: Razgon on July 05, 2009, 11:46:42 AM

how much does your players level and skills influence the game, when everything is happening realtime? Damn, I cant imagine playing this any other way than Turn-Based... but maybe I should try, could be fun, although why the computer doesnt have a huge advantage here, I dont understand.

But I agree with the fact thats its awesome both options are there!

The stats and skills are just as important in real time as they are in turn based, though most of them go off automatically so far.  I've read in the forums that some skills are still manual, but I haven't seen any yet.  I've given all four of my chaos warriors tentacle mutations and the tackle/diving tackle skill, and I can tell you it makes a big difference.  If one of them gets a hold of an opposing player, it's very hard to get away and keep the ball in hand.  I've given my beastman runners long legs and two heads, which helps them intercept the ball more and avoid tackles.

And really, it's not all in real time as you can pause the game to issue orders.  Since I'm doing the campaign, I can take all the time I want to look at the playing field and decide what to do.  My feeling is many of the things blend into the background during real-time play so that you can concentrate on the action, and that seems to really annoy purists who played the board game.

Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #274 on: July 05, 2009, 12:06:58 PM »

oh! I'd forgotten about the pause and order giving - now that makes a lot more sense, and the game really isnt that different then I assume. I'll have to try it out :-)

Do you ever have to do re-rolls and such?

A new one
Glycerine

View Profile
« Reply #275 on: July 05, 2009, 12:15:25 PM »

All the dice rolls still happen, but like I said it all happens in the background.  The only thing that doesn't apply in real time are turnovers, other than that the manual says they use the same rules.  Re-rolls still apply, you have to manually activate them before the action you want to use them on.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2009, 12:22:08 PM by Glycerine » Logged

Tals

View Profile
« Reply #276 on: July 05, 2009, 12:18:54 PM »

For me turnovers make the game great. Without them the choice of actions is not critical.

Absolutely inspired addition to the rules

Glycerine

View Profile
« Reply #277 on: July 05, 2009, 12:29:18 PM »

Quote from: Tals on July 05, 2009, 12:18:54 PM

For me turnovers make the game great. Without them the choice of actions is not critical.

Absolutely inspired addition to the rules

Uh, choice of action is still pretty critical in real-time.  Not sure what you mean here, as you can still fumble the ball and blow passes just like in turn-based, only difference is both teams now have equal opportunity to react to that failure.  In turn-based mode the opposing team reacts first, as failure means you also end your turn.  I can't tell you how many times I've had players blow a catch, pass, or tackle that ended up sending the ball bouncing onto the field.  It's just flat out awesome to see both teams gun for it, each trying to pick it up and failing rolls so the ball is just bouncing all over the place.  Sorry, but you just don't get that the same way in turn-based mode.  Sure it all happens, but everything comes to a halt and that's just a big game killer for me.  I really wish I could get as into the turn based mode as you guys do, as I do find the intricacies appealing, but it's just to slow paced.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2009, 12:34:51 PM by Glycerine » Logged

Tals

View Profile
« Reply #278 on: July 05, 2009, 12:34:22 PM »

The difference is I'm playing it as a board game you're playing it as a sports game. I suspect you would have loved chaos league which I really didn't. The gameplay is totally different IMHO.

Glycerine

View Profile
« Reply #279 on: July 05, 2009, 12:37:53 PM »

Quote from: Tals on July 05, 2009, 12:34:22 PM

The difference is I'm playing it as a board game you're playing it as a sports game. I suspect you would have loved chaos league which I really didn't. The gameplay is totally different IMHO.

I think you're right, to each his own and it's just a testament to how awesome this game is that it can keep both of us playing even though we obviously have very different play styles.

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: