http://gamingtrend.com
December 19, 2014, 04:07:40 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Blood Bowl 360  (Read 2034 times)
denoginizer
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: January 29, 2010, 08:06:59 PM »

I picked this up on my lunch hour today at Gamestop for $49.99.  I had no idea it was even out.  I have the PC version but on my old desktop it literally takes almost 10 minutes to load for each match.  I've been reading the rule book and it seems like the same game as the PC version, with the notable exception of not having online leagues, or any experience points gained at all in online matches.  

It seems that you can export your single player campaign team for online play.  So I'm guessing I will see alot of 2500+ point teams being used online soon.

More impressions later after I get home and play a few matches.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2010, 05:11:46 PM by denoginizer » Logged

Xbox Live Tag: denoginizer
PSN Name: denoginizer
MaxSteele

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2010, 08:45:23 PM »

Quote from: denoginizer on January 29, 2010, 08:06:59 PM

I picked this up on my lunch hour today at Gamestop for $49.99.  I had no idea it was even out.  I have the PC version but on my old desktop it literally takes almost 10 minutes to load for each match.  I've been reading the rule book and it seems like the same game as the PC version, with the notable exception of not having online leagues, or any experience points gained at all in online matches.  

It seems that you can export your single player campaign team for online play.  So I'm guessing I will see alot of 2500+ point teams being used online soon.

More impressions later after I get home and play a few matches.

Oh wow... That was released?  Way to market that game Games Workshop!   icon_neutral

I have been interested in it, but I'm not sure I would ever play it.

I very much look forward to hearing your impressions on it.

It's sad to hear there are no online leagues nor experience gained in online matches.
Mystic95Z

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2010, 08:46:18 PM »

Never got to play the PC version myself and I just got notification that my GameFly copy has been sent out /yippie
Larraque

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2010, 08:58:28 PM »

http://www.gamerankings.com/xbox360/944026-blood-bowl/index.html

Yeah. Not bothering.
Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2010, 09:28:55 PM »

Unfortunately, a lot of stuff was butchered in the xbox version compared to the PC version... custumization, private leagues and so on.... I REALLY wanted this for the Xbox, since it killed my PC completely (They had bad code in the pc version that caused heating issues and burnout on some video cards), but..after reading about all the things they decided not to port over, I'm not interested anymore.

A new one
morlac

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2010, 09:48:54 PM »

Quote from: Razgon on January 29, 2010, 09:28:55 PM

Unfortunately, a lot of stuff was butchered in the xbox version compared to the PC version... custumization, private leagues and so on.... I REALLY wanted this for the Xbox, since it killed my PC completely (They had bad code in the pc version that caused heating issues and burnout on some video cards), but..after reading about all the things they decided not to port over, I'm not interested anymore.

Raz, you were actually considering givng them more money after it fried your PC?  Fool me once....   Tongue

I soo wished this would be good...and on the PS3.

morlac00 on PSN
Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2010, 10:06:23 PM »

Quote from: morlac on January 29, 2010, 09:48:54 PM

Quote from: Razgon on January 29, 2010, 09:28:55 PM

Raz, you were actually considering givng them more money after it fried your PC?  Fool me once....   Tongue

I soo wished this would be good...and on the PS3.

hehe, yeah, I know - but...like you, I REALLY wanted to love this, but...it never did deliver quite what I wanted. Oh well, someday, we'll get a good version!

A new one
denoginizer

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2010, 10:38:09 PM »

Well the single player portion is exactly the same as the PC version. But for me at least the load times are signicantly lower on the 360 version.  I will probably play though a campaign on the 360 for the achievements and better performance, and continue to use the PC version for online play. Too bad online leagues didn't make the 360 version. But every PC BB league I have tried to play in has died off before week 4 anyway. So maybe it's not such a loss afterall.

Dante Rising

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2010, 02:50:20 AM »

Quote from: denoginizer on January 30, 2010, 10:38:09 PM

Well the single player portion is exactly the same as the PC version. But for me at least the load times are signicantly lower on the 360 version.  I will probably play though a campaign on the 360 for the achievements and better performance, and continue to use the PC version for online play. Too bad online leagues didn't make the 360 version. But every PC BB league I have tried to play in has died off before week 4 anyway. So maybe it's not such a loss afterall.

Denoginizer,

Are you sure that the SP is almost exactly like the PC version in terms of content? I greatly enjoy the PC version, and only play the single player portion. I'd love to have a 360 equivalent for my loft, but I heard the console version was butchered- single and multiplayer.  If the single player portion is indeed almost identical, I'll buy tomorrow. smile
Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2010, 09:29:56 AM »

Am I the only one who continuously stare at the title of the thread, wondering whats wrong, and then seeing the punctuation? :-D

Anyways, yeah, I kinda like the game as well, but if the SP is there in all its glory, I'll pick it up in a bargain bin someday

A new one
denoginizer

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2010, 05:17:31 PM »

Fixed the title for you Razzy smile

Dante: I started a single player competition and I would say it's pretty much the same game. The AI still goes for extra yardage at unnecessary times, and uses rerolls badly. But it seems like they do try some varying strategies instead of just caging up every time

Doopri

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2010, 06:42:31 AM »

okay the game seems kinda fun - but its getting INFURIATING for me - im playing lizardmen, my guy(s) have a 3 agility and for the life of me i swear i fail to pick up the ball about 8 times out of ten

WTF>???
Doopri

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 01, 2010, 06:49:02 AM »

(oh and fyi this is in the open, not when im surrounded by many guys - what gives???  is 3 that bad a score?)
denoginizer

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 01, 2010, 01:47:09 PM »

It think Skinks have AG 3 which means a roll of 4 or better.  But all other lizardmen have 1 AG which means you need to roll a 6.

If you are having trouble with Skinks picking it up, it's probably really bad luck.  Which seems to happen in Blood Bowl alot. smile

Doopri

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 01, 2010, 04:52:56 PM »

having never played tabletop - im guessing thats on a d6?  so ya i guess it is still an iffy proposition (maybe not quite my over exaggerated 80%, but still i thought it would be easier!).

still having fun though - i think im going to restart my campaign (i lost my first match in the new league) and just treat it as an extended tutorial as i was still learning the ropes (and going 0-5 frown )

oh also im not sure how extensive it was in the pc - but i heard it mentioned that the xbox game took out EXP and levelling, and that its not available in multi.  i CAN level my guys (its called SSP i think?) and i havent tried it, but im pretty sure i can export my fully levelled team to play in multi.  im also pretty sure they WONT get xp in multi, but some of the initial buzz i heard made it sound like the entire game would be played with stock, non-upgradeable (new word? smile ) teams.
denoginizer

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 01, 2010, 05:17:01 PM »

Yes from what I've seen the leveling and player customization in the single player game is exactly like the PC version.  And you can export the leveled up SP team for multiplayer.

Dante Rising

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 01, 2010, 05:59:22 PM »

Quote from: Doopri on February 01, 2010, 04:52:56 PM

having never played tabletop - im guessing thats on a d6?  so ya i guess it is still an iffy proposition (maybe not quite my over exaggerated 80%, but still i thought it would be easier!).

still having fun though - i think im going to restart my campaign (i lost my first match in the new league) and just treat it as an extended tutorial as i was still learning the ropes (and going 0-5 frown )

oh also im not sure how extensive it was in the pc - but i heard it mentioned that the xbox game took out EXP and levelling, and that its not available in multi.  i CAN level my guys (its called SSP i think?) and i havent tried it, but im pretty sure i can export my fully levelled team to play in multi.  im also pretty sure they WONT get xp in multi, but some of the initial buzz i heard made it sound like the entire game would be played with stock, non-upgradeable (new word? smile ) teams.

Out of curiosity, can you change team colors or player names? I heard that was taken out. I'd be slightly disappointed if I couldn't change player names, as much like X-Com, I always name the players after friends and family. It makes the game slightly more personable.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2010, 06:01:15 PM by Dante Rising » Logged
Doopri

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 01, 2010, 07:06:44 PM »

team colors i dont think so - but player names im almost positive you can change (havent tried it, though i read it in the book)

and im still playing on normal, i think im pretty bad at the game though frown
Doopri

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 02, 2010, 02:37:31 AM »

denog - or anyone else for that matter...

do you know how to bring in substitutions (if its even possible?).  i know i have more than 11 guys on my team, and yet if someone gets kod i cant figure out a way to bring in another guy.  i can see my opponents extras standing on their sideline, but i dont know how to grab mine (or maybe they are all down, i dunno)
Doopri

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 02, 2010, 03:18:59 AM »

also injuries - how long do they last?

i have a guy who got a "broken neck" in a game, giving him -1 to agility.  post-game, its now listed in the same area as his skills - does this last for the next game or is it permanent?
denoginizer

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 02, 2010, 01:36:59 PM »

Before each kickoff your extra players will be standing in your endzone.  The game will put 11 players on the field if possible.  But if you have more than 11 on the roster you can swap out players by putting a guy in the endzone and bringing the new guy on.  I play as humans and I try to keep from having both of my throwers on the field at the same time since they are so weak and fragile.

Yes injuries that result in loss of a stat point are permanent.   crybaby

The Blood Bowl Living Rulebook is a great source for all of the little rules and skill descriptions that make the game great.

http://www.bloodbowlonline.com/LivingRulebook5.pdf

« Last Edit: February 02, 2010, 01:38:46 PM by denoginizer » Logged

Dante Rising

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 02, 2010, 04:47:38 PM »

Have any of you run into the skill bug yet? According to the Blood Bowl forums, the 360 version has a nasty bug where as your characters gain additional skills, they begin to randomly disappear. Apparently this begins at level 2, and a significant number of people seem to have stumbled upon the bug. One poster called it impossible to avoid, as every new level and each skill use generates the possibility of the bug. Various people have begun shelving the game.

I'm curious because bad news is always reported on forums, but rarely the good news. I'm hoping the bug is far less prevalent that the BB forum would have one believe.
denoginizer

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 02, 2010, 05:23:50 PM »

I restarted on hard and my current team has only played 2 matches.  So I haven't seen the bug yet.  But I will certainly be angry if it's there since the game has been out on the PC for months, and on the 360 in Europe for weeks.  I will post here if I encounter it.

Doopri

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 03, 2010, 01:40:45 AM »

Apparently this begins at level 2, and a significant number of people seem to have stumbled upon the bug.

are they sure its a "bug"?  i know the book says players can have a max of 6 skills, and one of my guys starts off at 6 (maybe 5).  i dont know what will happen when i level a guy up and exceed 6, but i can very well see the game just doing a random replacement of an existing skill.

and thanks denog!  i THOUGHT the guys in the endzone MIGHT be replacements - but at the same time wasnt sure and thought it was just a stupid placement choice by the comp (i always seemed to see the guy on kickoffs when i was receiving so i thought he was just the return man smile )

and thats a bummer about injuries...  dont know what to do now...
Dante Rising

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 03, 2010, 02:10:20 AM »

Quote from: Doopri on February 03, 2010, 01:40:45 AM

Apparently this begins at level 2, and a significant number of people seem to have stumbled upon the bug.

are they sure its a "bug"?  i know the book says players can have a max of 6 skills, and one of my guys starts off at 6 (maybe 5).  i dont know what will happen when i level a guy up and exceed 6, but i can very well see the game just doing a random replacement of an existing skill.

Definitely appears to be a bug. Some people are having ALL skills disappear.
Doopri

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 03, 2010, 02:13:31 AM »

ooooooh ouch ya that sounds a bit nasty
Dante Rising

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 03, 2010, 02:22:24 AM »

Quote from: Doopri on February 03, 2010, 02:13:31 AM

ooooooh ouch ya that sounds a bit nasty

One good thing: Cyanide has identified the bug and is working on a patch. It was supposed to be released in January, however. My guess is that the delay is probably related to fixing a few other issues that have been identified. Still wondering how often it happens, however.
denoginizer

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 05, 2010, 02:22:47 PM »

More info about the patch from Cyanide's boards.

Dear Coaches!

Due to your overwhelming response, we owe you some explanations on the various projects underway for the 360 version.

The Dark Elves as you already know are planned for the Xbox 360 and have recently been approved by GW. They will soon be available for 320 MS points (end of febuary). As already explained, it is not possible to offer this type of free DLC for Xbox 360. We did our best to submit the best possible price on the Xbox Live.
Also note that a "Title Update" is scheduled for the Xbox 360, but we prefer to not currently disclose its contents as it still has to be approved by Microsoft. Therefore we will detail its contents once it is validated and the chances of changes will be the lowest. According to the schedule and without major problems, this Update Title should be available in late February.

We will give you more information as soon as we can.

I think I am going to wait for the patch + Dark Elves DLC before I play a campaign.

Dante Rising

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 09, 2010, 10:12:25 PM »

This game is absolutely brutal. I'm playing on easy with a human team, and I got annihilated in my first several games. I managed to beat the lowly goblins once. Orcs and Dwarves leave 1/2 of my team flat on their backs or out of the game with injuries. Elves run circles around my team with their agility. I feel like my campaign team is a bunch of 5 year olds trying to compete in the Super Bowl. The passing completion rate for my team is around 10%. Good grief......

I refuse to give up, but I'd hate to see what normal mode is like.
Doopri

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 10, 2010, 04:49:05 AM »

i played on normal, and basically lost my first 4 - 6 games, then was more or less in the top 1 or 2.  the trick is to get the crap kicked out of you ( smile ) while getting a few guys up to level 2 / 3 by the time youre in the second league period.

by that point youre MUCH more competitive.  i actually went back and restarted my campaign after losing my first 4 matches straight, thinking id be "better" now that i understood the game.  nope, no way - so i ended up sucking up those terrible losses and just playing my first campaign with guys that had levels and did okay from there on out.

read one of my earlier posts where i was also FREAKING out because it seemed my level 1 guys could NEVER pick up the ball smile  once i hit level 2, with 3 / 4 agility it was MUCH less hairy a proposition smile
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: